Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

1495051525355»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There is no little icon below for rolling my eyes. Maybe there should be--it would come in handy in Town Hall.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    IMO - the Hyundais have now come up to at least Ford Quality. While they still lack the refinement and detail of the Honda and Toyota, if you don't lift the hood and look at the technology, they run great, for a long long time now. They have made great strides, and seem to be continuing to close the gap. They also, however, are closing the price gap. Nevertheless, what used to be a disposable car 10 years ago, is now a great value - possibly the best value on the market. Not the best car, but the best car for the price.

I would rank them as follows:

Honda & Toyota
    Ford & Hyundai

Then, there's also Kia...

The American car companies are now terminal and on life support.

The Japanese had better watch out - the Koreans are about to eat THEIR lunch.

The Koreans had better not get too smug - China is on their tail.....
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    The Snakester and I will not bow to the Honda god. If that offends people so be it. Everything I say is true and supported, its just some don't want to hear the truth.
  • jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    But unlike your Hyundai sitting in the junk yard and you being proud and saying how great it is and buying another Hyundai with no trade-in and using all your hard earned cash vs. someone who had a Honda or Toyota getting a nice check from the insurance company for their new vehicle. Who made out there? Junk yard=no value or stolen but nice check to get new one. Oh and before you start the analysis of insurance rates going up it sure did make up the difference in pricing between the two. And that's where Resale comes in if your car gets stolen(unlikely) then you better consider it!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    The Hyundai's trade-in value was $913, and the dealer retail was $3,206.

Really? I just checked KBB.com and came up with $2,525 (a little more than what Carmax offered) trade in and $5,525 for retail.

NADA came in a few hundred less on both.

Looking at the used car section I see a 2000 Elantra for sale at $5,990 with 112,205 miles on it. And one with 103,000 for $4K

Plus you cannot use comparably equipped cars. When you do the original MSRP of the Honda is much higher than the Hyundai.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Well, that book is now two years old. How about this: look at CR's reliabillity ratings for ALL cars, all brands, in the latest full survey--which was April 2005. How many brands do better overall than Hyundai, that is, add up the black X's for each brand. See how many have fewer black X's than Hyundai (which had two). There aren't very many:

Acura
    Honda
    Infiniti
    Lexus
    Toyota/Scion
    Subaru
    Suzuki (based on one vehicle, the Japanese-made SUV)

Pretty good company, yes?

P.S. In the 2005 report, there was no "too soon for fair comparison" on the Sonata. Also keep in mind that the previous-gen Sonata was designed before Hyundai's quality initiative began in 2000. There has been a huge leap in the quality and reliability of the Sonata and other Hyundais since then.
    I have waited--I don't own a Sonata. I decided to wait to see how the IIHS ratings shake out and also to look at several new models coming out in the next few months, including the Camry, since I will have this car in my family for over 10 years and eventually it will go to my daughter.
    Newtie all these "facts" have come from where you backside?

Lets face it it Honda and especially Accord has rested on its laurels for too long:

1) No rear disc brakes std
    2) No auto locks when car goes in motion
    3) No roadside assistance
    4) all the safety features it lacks - I articulated in post #2618
    5) Oh and one of the cheapest warranties in the business 3/36 come on give me a break. I had my wife's Pilot in the other day because the horn would go off for no apparent reason the car is not even 3 years old but has 38K on it they didn't want to cover it I had to talk to service manager - pretty sorry.

They are simply losing their edge to Hyundai and Toyota. It is that simple.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646

I have to agree with you here, Honda is losing badly. The Accord just lost the C&D/CR comparison and came last, the new Civic's sales are down and the Accord's sales are down. Honda's sales in general are at an all time low!

Oh wait...the Accord came first.
    Oh yeah, and the Civic's sales increased by 56.2% and the Accord's by 9%.
    Actually, Honda's division's sales increased by 24.4%.

This company is losing badly, I have to face the facts. ;)
    And if the Sonata cost three times less as in your steak example, you're right I'd buy it in a second. But what percent does the Accord cost over the Sonata? 10% 20% ???

A fully loaded Sonata LX has a MSRP of $23,495

A fully loaded Accord EX has a MSRP of $27,850

So its 18.5% more, is a accord 18.5% more? No it isn't.

And for others, the extra 10-20% paid for an Accord or Toyota will more than pay for itself in resale value, or if they keep the car for the long run, pay for itself in less repairs.

Not sure about that my sister pays a lot more in repairs for her Toyota than I pay for my Elantra.

Now as for repairs outside of routine maintenice I put $0 into it (plus no warranty work) for the first 131,500 miles. Just two weeks ago was the first non maintenice work I ever put in it and it was replacing a sensor for about $200. My wifes Accent $0 in 85-90k miles. My Daughters Elantra $0 if about 85k miles. I know many who have high mileage on their hyundais and have spent very little on repairs. I know few, if any, that pay a lot.

131,500 Miles with nothing going wrong, no stalling, started every time (even sub zero weather), no leaks, no lights going out, no squeaks, no rattles, no rust, nothing. You cannot argue with that. And please spare me the "Your lucky" comment because most people get plenty of worry free miles.

• travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    In the issue I stated (April 2005, Annual Auto Issue, CR)
    Camry and Accord have NO black X's. Only red check marks since 1997. The next publication won't be out until April, 2006 which will include 2005 models. The year has to be over before they can publish year-end results.

The "too soon for fair comparison" is common sense. Anything looks good in the first couple years. Everone loves their new car. Look at the models that are in the red in 02,03,04, and start falling off as the vehicle gets older. Even Mercedes sucks. Hyundai has better ratings than they do.

It may very well be a great car. I just won't risk it until they have a longer and cleaner record.
    Just refuting what anybody else says here doesn't make you right.

No but when I back it up it does support my case. You do realize that?

Plus it seems you're AOK with the cheaper things in life,

Lets say the less expensive things. I really don't like paying more for the same thing.

The Sonata is cheaper than an Accord EXV6, but nowhere near as refined.

I know one or two ex Accord owners that will disagree with that statement.

You should really call Hyundai they may give you a new car! I'm sure they would like to Enshrine that sucker somewhere. Or maybe you should marry the thing- we get it this is like the sixth time in a week that you've told everyone about your Elantra. Good for you, Congrats! Now please get rid of it and buy a New Sonata!!
    Oh come one tell me. My sisters Camry let her down twice before hitting 75K. So going by that and what you said it should have done so a long time ago.

Well if I have been putting nonsense out here why don't you address them?

I know, I had a Mustang disappear once.

Don't put too much stock in all those publications. They have been biased against American and Korean cars for years. In the next few year when Hyundai crepts into 5th then 3rd place we will see whose laughing.

And remember the old Chinese proverb "He who laughs last laughs loudest."
    Bob3, you're right. Not full of BS at all. It makes logical sense. For some people cheapness is their weakness.
    The immediate dollar rules every decision with no regard to future consequences.
    I haven't looked at the Fusion and most likely will not. But I looked at the Milan and liked it. It would definitely be on the short list. I drove the 4 banger with the stick and it was a fun car to drive. :)

You should really call Hyundai they may give you a new car! I'm sure they would like to Enshrine that sucker somewhere.

Why? because its evidence of Hyundais quality? Many more hyundais have gotten many more miles than that.

Now please get rid of it and buy a New Sonata!!

Why? I want to see how much I can get out of it. I wonder if it can beat the 300k+ the Chevy got. Plus I got a Caddy for fun ;)

No road side assistance? Who needs it if you have a good car? When's the last time you saw a Honda on the side of the road?

Rear disc brakes are standard on all but entry level models. Auto door locking will be on next years' models, I've heard. It's already on Civics, but frankly I don't give a damn. I can push a lock. Personally I'd rather know I made the choice.

I'd call Honda Customer Service about that horn. Sometimes you go beyond the dealer.
    I haven't been impressed with their stock returns.

I guess this statement won't apply presently, but possibly in the future. But you have to remember this is just a prediction. No one can tell the future accurately, it is simply a prediction that may, or may not be true.

I was just explaining to you that Honda isn't doing bad, as you seem to illustrate in your post.
    I'm not worried. Honda's aren't the most stolen in my part of the country. You'll notice that cars most stolen are also most sold in different areas around the US.
    What's that have to do with buying a car? Does this mean you ate Krispy Creme's every day until the Atkins craze and then went strickley Protein? Jump off the bandwagon, remember in your earlier post your a Leader not a follower.
    So is that why Acura's have roadside assistance? I guess they must break down alot. (Also roadside assistance covers flat tires and even blonds that run out of gas) I am quite sure even Honda's get flat tires.

They fixed the horn without charge after "alittle talking about it". If you know what I mean.
    Can't go by what's advertised. Only by what a buyer pays.
    Edmunds can help with these stats.
    Sometime for fun go to a used car lot and take a 10 year old Honda for a ride. One with over 150K.

You'll see what I mean.
    Man I love Krispy Kreme they beat the heck out of Dunkin Donuts! (Taste wise that is, don't buy the stock!!!)
    Only one or two? :confuse:
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Wow! that is revealing!
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    travler wrote: "No road side assistance? Who needs it if you have a good car? When's the last time you saw a Honda on the side of the road?"

Last Saturday, a mid-90s Accord LX about to be placed on the wrecker's hook. But, it could also just be something totally unrelated to reliability? Come on guys, "any" car can break down, as cars are at the mercy of the owner's maintenance, or lack thereof.

One could honestly make the statement that all of today's cars (even the European and Korean makes) are far more reliable than those cars of the past. Remember the days of changing the plugs/points/condensor every 12K, and that's the least of it.
    Statistics...statistics.....statistics.

Overall...in the long run....over 15 years of history....these vehicles prove to have the least amount of mechanical failures. Get used to it.
    No road side assistance? Who needs it if you have a good car?

Cars do get flats, people do run out of gas, people still lock their keys in their car, batteries don't last forever.

When's the last time you saw a Honda on the side of the road?

Saw one today.

Ok I will try that sometime. Maybe I'll give you a ride in my daily drive and you will see what I mean. Still runs great.

• averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Good point. This is more like what I think. I've sold 2 used Hyundais for very high prices to private parties. And they were glad to get such nice cars for the money they paid too.
    I haven't been impressed with their stock returns.

Really?

I just checked, today's closing price is 28.94 US. The 52 week Range: 23.75 - 30.36. Of course, Honda's market cap may not be large compared to Toyota. For a relatively small company, Honda is doing well.
    Actually in Sep they were at 26 and now they are about 28 (just shy of 29). OK - not great.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're wrapping this one up. We're not getting anywhere productive, and, regardless of what some of you seem to believe, this discussion is not here for people to attack others and go all over the place away from the topic.

Thanks for your participation - see you around the Forums -- I hope in a more civil environment.
This discussion has been closed.