Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    it sometimes takes months, and it depends on how soon the company issues them externally, and then how fast NHTSA uploads them to their database. if you want a list of the latest tsbs, visit your local dealership...
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    not surprise me the F-150 did the worst. The F-150 is a joke. The only reason they sell so many is because they are cheap. Then people who buy them keep trying to tell the new Ram owners how good they are when we didn't ask to make them selves fell better. It is funny the Ram owners are not trying to bring down the Fords and Chevy's on their boards. We know what we got.
    THE BEST DAM TRUCK ON EARTH.
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    My friend's friend is a Dodge mechanic and I will give him a call and see if he can generate any TSB's on the 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.I will also get his opinion on the pickup from a mechanic's view. He's been a mechanic for Dodge for the past 15 years and started when he was 18 years old.

Any Dodge mechanics reading this let us know what you think of the new Dodge Ram Quad Cab.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>Let's see....made in Mexico....iron block....pushrod valvetrain....only two valves per cylinder.....what's the excitement about? This is a heavy, low-tech, low investment engine. Not much to get excited about.<<

Where the engine is made is technically irrelevant. Capitalizing on a proven combustion chamber and single camshaft design may be retro if you're prone to follow the crowd and mind-locked (remember, the Wankel was going to replace every piston engine).

Using aluminum heads and a new patented casting process, the new Chrysler Hemi is 67 pounds lighter and dimensionally smaller than the 360 CID "smallblock" engine it replaces. The Hemi won't need more than two valves per cylinder. It's open roof and canted valve arrangement will allow for much larger valves and significantly higher flow than could be realized by a wedge chamber. In addition, the two valve design enhances low flow combustion efficiency and increases low-end torque. The new 5.7 Hemis will produce just over 300 lbs. ft of torque at 1000 RPM! Using the hemispherical combustion chamber this engine will readily produce 1 HP per cubic inch and at higher compression ratios than the average production wedge.

A 6.1 Liter hemi is planned for a 2004 introduction.

The 4.7 engine received a larger throttlebody and intake manifold mid-year in 2001. There were also corresponding adjustments to the exhaust system.

Dusty
    dusty,

you seem to know an aweful lot of what would seem to be insider info. how is that? so, is the 6.1 liter hemi gonna replace the v10??
    ..............The rumor is that the V10 will be gone in a few years. Chrysler manufacturer's very few of these engines and its more difficult to amortise tooling and investment in changes to meet emissions, etc., when unit sales are so low. To make metters worse, the V10 is disproportionately more expensive to manufacture since some of the componentry is made with non-standard tooling. I think Chrysler is going to capitize on tooling and build different horsepower variants of their engines. For trucks, Chrysler can probably meet future consumer demands with four engines: 3.7 & 4.7 (same block less two cylinders, a 5.7 and a 6.1. With the exception of the 4.7 which can be DOHC, the 5.7 and 6.1 are being built around a in-block cam. These motors are being built specifically for trucks, although speculation is that Chryler's new rear-wheel drive platform (police car entry) will have a highly modified version of the 5.7 Hemi.

With special interest groups banging on the government to increase truck CAFE to 36 MPG for everything under 10,000 GVW, the future of big horsepower in trucks may be very dim. There's already talk of a "horsepower tax" in some states (New York being one of them) and the demand for large displacement V8s might drop significantly in a couple of years.

Since Chrysler opted out of the medium truck business in the seventies, Dodge truck has been confined to "light duty" series. (Also, they haven't had a "big block" motor since 1978.) However, sales of heavier trucks have increased proportionally more for Dodge than their competition and they want to expand this part of the market. The rumor is they are going to extend into the medium range using the new RAM cab with medium weight frames (they've already hinted at a RAM 4500 for 2003). Being a smaller, less cash flow company, this allows them to capitalize on design, tooling, and manufacturing space. From what I've heard, they believe they can easily go to 20,000 GVW using hydroformed frames and various brake and axle combinations (AG, Eaton, Rockwell, Spicer, TRW, etc.).

Dusty
    I forgot to mention that Dodge plans to introduce a new "super quiet" Cummins diesel in 2003.

Dusty
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    My point regarding the forthcoming "Hemi" is that it is no big deal regarding its output/displacement. It uses 60's era hot rodding tricks, not new technology. Detroit can pump out these types of motors anytime it wants, without a lot of R&D cost i.e., new technology. Its a political issue, not a technological breakthrough. BTW, ask the folks in the Kokomo transmission plant if it will be "technically irrevelent" if that production is moved to Mexico.
    ......different ways. In the case of the new 5.7 Hemi, materials and casting techniques have reduced the amount of machining. The reduced tooling and labor, lighter and smaller package at reduced manufacturing cost is an accomplishment. Does it really matter how that power is produced as long as its done efficiently? Would you feel better if the same horsepower were produced by a DOHC engine? You probably wouldn't realize a torque benefit and that engine would cost more to produce and to service.

As far as "60s era hot rodding tricks," for what purpose was SOHC or DOHC developed? It most certainly wasn't for trucks. Advancements in efficiency and potential for piston engines have almost all come from high performance experimentation and concepts. The hemispherical combustion chamber just happened to be decades ahead of other approaches.

Dusty
    dusty,

why then hasn't the hemi head been used more often in the last two decades? from what i've read the design (at least the old design) was a relative gas and emissions hog, thus the need for two spark plugs per cylinder in today's hemi. i'm not dogging the engine, i'm just saying that what you are purporting is contrary to what i've read in other places. btw, one hp per cube isn't that big a deal anymore...
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I am in the market for a pickup and have narrowed my choices to the new Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 and Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab. The Toyota has the reputation for reliability, excellent resale value and durability. The new Dodge has the reputation of being a quality product so far, nice styling and a very roomy interior.

I would like to know why you new Dodge Ram QC 1500 owners picked it over other pickups.

I am still on the sidelines and taking a hard look at both pickups.Thanks for your insights.
  • lamarjlamarj Member Posts: 21
    I'm sure you have been doing your homework and reading all of the posts. I bought mine for several reasons. It started with the best deal in the country, which is still available. It then led to what I believe is the very best vehicle purchase I have made in 20 years of buying (way to often). This truck is solid. You can really feel a difference. The reliability issue was on my mind, but the FREE 7 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper took care of that. I have three children who fit very comfortably in the back seat. The truck obviously looks great. The handling is unbelievable. Tracks perfectly and takes corners as flat as a skate. Size matters and the Toyota is just not quite big enough for me. I am a Toyota/Honda fan. I remember seeing the first Tundra in a magazine. I was going to get one. I remember seeing the first one in person at a dealership that had just closed. I checked to see if the truck was locked. They forgot! I jumped in behind the wheel and the first thought was....this isn't a Tundra, it is a Tacoma. It was a Tundra. I could not believe they did not go ahead and super size it when they had a chance. Oh well. They just aren't making the big trucks.....yet. The Seqouia is pretty huge.

I have corresponded with two people on these postings who have either traded their Toyota for a Ram or are going to.

If you want info on the best deal in the country send me an email. You won't beleive ehat you can get this truck for. JLamar@knology.net Others here will back it up.
  • stooges3stooges3 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info. That was a long wait you had. Hopefully they got a little faster with their production this time.
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    I was under the impression the 7/100 warranty was only for the drive train after the initial warranty ran out. Did I buy my truck at the wrong time? Or did you have to pay extra for the "bumper to bumper"?
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    power train not bumper to bumper.
    You are correct, 1 HP per cube isn't extraordinary by today's standards, but in a normally aspirated truck engine it stands out. Look at Ford and GM truck powerplants. While the potential for wedge engines to get to that level of power exists, the hemi can do this
    easily without multivalve, variable or longer duration cam timing. These techniques, while raising volumetric efficiency in wedges, is also very detrimental to low-end torque. They push the horsepower/torque band upwards which is also a negative for truck motors.

For trucks especially, a hemispherical chamber makes a lot of sense. A much larger valve can be used for increased flow, yet a single valve
    arrangement will contribute to better low-end torque and overall
    performance. The hemi chamber, with its more symmetrical environment, lends itself to utilizing higher compression ratios and will tolerate higher throttle pressure thresholds without detonation.

As far as meeting emissions, in 1972, the last year of the 426 Hemi, NOx emissions were probably harder to meet with that design because of the small confined pressure chamber (in those days NOx was controlled by reducing the combustion temperature by injecting a small amount of exhaust gas. Larger chamber surfaces contribute to lower combustion temperatures). But combustion chamber science has advanced significantly since then and much of the same techniques used for reducing emissions in wedges are readily adaptable to a
    hemispherical chamber. Mitsubishi built a 4-cyl hemi from 1974 through 2000 meeting federal emissions. And one Mercedes engine still uses that design.

The Chrysler 426 Hemi died because it was expensive to build in 1972 and didn't have a market or a purpose (I've been recently informed that less than 1000 were built in the last year). From 1972 on Chrysler relied on their wedge engines because they were in inventory and had already amortised the tooling. By 1978 all the big blocks were gone and Chrysler could power everything they had with two V8s: the 318 and 360. There was no advantage three decades ago to use the hemi design, especially from a cost perspective, and GM and Ford were not interested in developing one for the very same reasons.

By 1997, however, things had changed dramatically. Chrysler realized it had to update their engines and a new design incorporating a hemi chamber was now actually technically attractive. Chrysler, the only serious automotive manufacture interested in using one, had acquired a mountain of research science over the years and knew that when manufacturing costs could be brought down, the Hemi could come into it's own.

One
    centralized in-block cam lowers tooling cost. It's got pushrods. Okay. Load losses from increased valvetrain mass are probably offset by the reduction of internal friction from avoiding a second camshaft. A new cylinder head design that takes advantage of new casting techniques reduces tooling and the complexity of assembly that was associated with the earlier Hemis. Modern casting techniques can better control piece-to-piece uniformity resulting in less tooling to dimension. In 2002, reduced components and tooling makes sense from a manufacturing cost perspective. The new 5.7 Hemi is cheaper to make than the 318-360 engines and even the newer 4.7L.

Dusty
    thanks dusty, very interesting. but, you still haven't told us all about how you get your insider info...
    Well, much of what I've imparted has been available in various journals representing the automotive press. I worked in the industry many years ago and have maintained a varying degree of interest through the years. I did at one time work in my firms company car propgram and still have several contacts there. You might say that's my "ear-to-the-ground," sort of.

Dusty
  • lamarjlamarj Member Posts: 21
    Hey! My drive train almost goes from bumper to bumper.........
    I have learned through contacts that the new Dodge Ram Quad Cab will be crash tested sometime this month. Hopefully, the new Dodge will pass with flying colors.
    I just wanted to let all Californians know that you can't buy a vehicle out of state unless it California Certified for emissions. There are exceptions to the rule like your car was stolen while out of state and your purchased a new car to get home. Just make sure have a police report.

So if you were thinking of calling Randall Noe Dodge in Texas for a killer deal just forget it. I called Randall Noe if they could get me a vehicle certified for California emissions and they can't. Bad news for Californians.

The rest of you should have no problem and I suggest that you give them a call. Their deals on the Dodge Ram QC 1500 are the best. Just ask lamarj
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Just saw that the NHSTA just rated the new '02 RAM with their highest rating of "Good". Add that to the apparent quality and utility of our new found friends and we have a winner! Way to go, DC. It's just that much more to feel good about.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I saw the fine print in the TV ad that said "deductible applies"

Anyone know how much it is or when you need to start paying it?
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    $100 per incident.
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I ordered a Black 2wd Quad cab last Monday.. The factory kicked it out, but hope to find out tomorrow if my options will be approved so the build can begin.

STooges3, let me know how your truck goes please.
    email me

the_commander AT hotmail.com
    I checked the NHTSA web site and did not see any info on the 2002 Dodge Ram QC 1500. The only info I saw was that it was going to be crash tested. If you have the link to the info you saw/read please post it.
  • stooges3stooges3 Member Posts: 18
    I ordered a black 2wd sport on 3/15 and it is now on its way to N.Y. Not too bad of a wait. I didn't understand what you said about the factory kicking your order out. What happened? My brother ordered a new truck at the same time as me at the same dealer on 3/15 and they told him this past Mon. that they did not start to build it yet.
    The Dodge Ram 2002 Quad Cab was crashed tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Dodge Ram received a GOOD rating which is the best rating it can receive and matched the Tundra for vehicle safety.

Here is the link to the website.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0128.htm

By the way, the IIHS crash tests are tougher to pass than NHTSA crash tests.

This means lower insurance costs for those of you who purchased the pickup and those of us who will be buying it this weekend. :-)

good luck getting cheap insurance...
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Stooges, I called again today, and seems that the steering wheel mounted radio controls have some type of restriction on them. You have to order the RAZ and RCK radio packages, which I did, the Infinity speakers and am/fm/cd player.

I am going to try and remove this option and see if the truck will be approved.

More to come.
    My insurance company(Wawanesa Insurance based in San Diego) has the best rates.
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    More details, please, on Wawanesa. Phone number, any rate info.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I really feel like we are going around in circles with our truck. We purchased it November 27, 2001 as a 6 month old used truck with 12K on it. We got 5 miles from the dealership and the torque converter burnt up. We got the truck back 2 days later.

Fast forward to 20K, the check engine light is back on and it will pop out of overdrive while driving down the road and turn the O/D off light on. The dealer checked to see what the light was and said its the torque converter again. It has an appointment on 4/1 to get the torque converter, front pump, and O/D replaced again.

Is it just me or is this a bit excessive?? This is a different dealer doing the work this time, we bought the truck in Anchorage and use the dealer in Fairbanks. The truck just got out of the shop on Thursday after having a bunch of work done to it.

Its getting really bad, I walk into the service department and they treat me like an old friend and are never surprised to see me.

My 98 Grand Cherokee has less problems, in fact it rarely has a problem and it has 60K on it. Mental note to self, next truck will be a stick shift!!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm here to announce the new Dodge Ram Owners Club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    I believe the Jeep
    Grand Cherokee has an option for a enhanced 4.7L engine that produces more horsepower and torque than the present engine DC is using in the Ram1500. I was just curious if anyone had any info on the engine and why DC is not offering that in the Ram.
    the high output 4.7l requires premuim fuel to achieve its hp/torque output. but, it can be run on regular fuel. dc also uses the 5 speed automatic 545rfe in the jeep, but not yet in the ram. why?? good question.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    I test drove a quad cab today, 3:92 with a 5.9, nice truck but I wanted to drive a 4.7, they didn't have any on the lot. My question is can you get a 4.7L with a 3:55 rear end? Looking at the brochure, if I'm reading it correctly, is seems the only ratio available is the 3:92 Any comments would be appreciated.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    brnzbk............Yes you can get it! In fact most of the trucks at middle Tennessee dealerships have the 4.7 with the 3:55 rear end. That's what I got and so far (3,458 mi) all is great! They also come (mostly) with the multi speed transmission. Didn't want the 360 (5.9) since it will be gone next year and isn't the most efficient power train. I got mine with the 24G package, 4.7, multi speed tranny, posi traction, tow package, steel loading floor, fog lights and deluxe Infinity system.........all for $25K. Happy hunting.
  • gottscdjgottscdj Member Posts: 17
    I was not a dodge person in the past. As a matter of fact, the only other dodge I have ever owned was a caravan. It took me a while to warm up to the dominant grill on the new Ram but now I love it. The body style is great and the interior is as good as my mercedes that I traded in. It does get me to the gas pump more often than my mercedes did. Has anyone put nerf bars on the Ram and are they not compatable with mud flaps? I would love to see some photos.
  • gottscdjgottscdj Member Posts: 17
    I was not a dodge person in the past. As a matter of fact, the only other dodge I have ever owned was a caravan. It took me a while to warm up to the dominant grill on the new Ram but now I love it. The body style is great and the interior is as good as my mercedes that I traded in. It does get me to the gas pump more often than my mercedes did. Has anyone put nerf bars on the Ram and are they not compatable with mud flaps? I would love to see some photos.
  • gar17gar17 Member Posts: 1
    Am thinking of buying a 2002 Quad cab withe the 4.7 v8 and 3.92 rear end what kind of fuel mileage does anyone get thanks
  • nit1195nit1195 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 02 Quad Cab short bed with a set of Westin Platinum Chrome Nerf Bars. They do not effect the mud flaps in any way. It took me all of 30 minutes to install myself. If you send me your email address I will send a picture of the truck with the Nerf bars and mud flaps.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    I just put a set of Smittybilt step bars on my 02 RAM truck--works fine having both flaps and bars since the bar curves in behind the front flap with plenty of room to spare.
  • fastappyfastappy Member Posts: 6
    I'm averaging mid 14's mpg with combined 60/40 (hiway/city)with my 02 QC 4.7 4x4 w/3.92 rear. I have just under 600 miles at this point. I'll be taking a 1000 mile trip pretty soon, so I should get a more accurate highway reading @ 65-70 mph. It is a heavy truck so I'm not expecting tremendous improvement (beyond 2mpg improvement)when broken in.

Hey guys, I'm looking to customize my truck with step bars, spray-in liner, improved exhaust performance and appearance (dual). If you have any ideas or can direct me to a good site, I would appreciate it. I'll look into the Nerf & Smittybilt bars. Thanks!
  • newramfannewramfan Member Posts: 22
    I have a line-x brand and it is great. I looked at the Rhino liner and compared the two and preferred the line-x. The material is more dense and it sets up within seconds after sprayed, so there are no runs and you can drive out immediately after the dealer is done spraying. The Rhino has to sit for a couple of hours I believe. The textures are completely different too. Check out www.line-x.com . I have nerf bar step made by MAAP. They look great!
  • fastappyfastappy Member Posts: 6
    Newramfan, thanks for the info.!
  • newramfannewramfan Member Posts: 22
    My steps are MAAP made by Steel Horse. No problem with the info. I have gotten my share of info from these posts. I am addicted to both the bulletin boards and my new Ram.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Gee, aren't we having fun today......I was taking out Ram in for yet another torque converter when it decided that it wanted a whole new transmission. I got about 25 miles from the dealer and it blew all its fluid and overheated the transmission. Needless to say it arrived at the dealer on a flatbed tow truck. We're stylin' in a 2002 Dodge Neon right now.

Our saleslady has asked if we would like to trade our truck for a V-10 Ram.....I told her as long as it runs and goes without the assistance of a tow truck I was all for it. Guess we will find out tomorrow if they can even dig us out of our Ram.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the Ram, I think most of the problems have something to do with the mechanics at Dodge. My dad has a 2000 Ram and he had them service the transmission, it took 3 trips back to get the leaks fixed that they caused.
    Good luck on the trade in it sounds like the dealer stuck it to you with the current truck if they dont cut you a good deal I would raise hell.
This discussion has been closed.