Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
edited March 2014 in Ford
Now that the 2005 Sonata has been out for a good month and change, i think this comparison makes sense.

I have driven all three cars recently since i'm planning to buy a new family car and all three cars are very good to be qualified as genuine family cars(quiet, quality and not overly sporty(no offense mazda 6 or altima owners)) but after making my analysis i have my mind only on one unless otherwise. I would also like to hear your compararo analysis which will help me with my decision.

Styling : Sonata
Elantra + Audi A6 = Sonata. Hyundai even has admitted they borrowed many cues from the Audi, i even tend to believe this car would make Audi proud. Very clean, classy and will age very well. Honda looks ok, some design cues don't work together very well. Same goes for the Camry, and i hate it how the wheels look so small on this car. Not very tasteful

Interior: Sonata
The layout was very good, good materials, alot more room and comapared to the accord or camry, has a more airy classy feel to it. Sonata was slightly more quieter on idle and while driving, but all three cars are pretty quiet in general. Accord has a more sporty appeal, but felt like it was tight compared to the sonata or camry. Camry feels roomy, and even though the interior is of high quality, there is no class about it.

Engine : Accord 4 cylinder
Fantastic engine that feels like has an added turbo, that kicks in when needed. Smooth revving and a great transmission to go along with it. Camry pulls well but nothing fancy nor does it have any extra juice, but all the time driving it , i thought about the engine, i thought about quality. Sonata has the same feel as the camry. Honda wins

Driving: Even
All three cars are very good in absorbing bumps and are quiet. Camry though has a numb center that bothered me little while driving on the 70 zone. Accords engine made straight driving a pleasure, and the sonata's added quietness made me feel as i was driving a much more expensive car. essentially no outside noise or engine vibrations could be heard

Handling: Sonata
Accords handing is good, but it lacks the elastic feel on its steering. The turning is a little absurb and too eager to please. Camry has the worst handling out of the three, and i just felt really nervous especially if a quick lane change was needed for some reason. Sonata's steering is a little light, but when u try to make a quick change it does not disappoint. I was frankly amazed how composed it was when changing lanes even though on standstill doesn't feel like it has any athletic abilities. I personally liked the way they designed it this way, and has a poor mans mazda 6 steering feel.

Intaginbles: Sonata
More room, more equipment and a large trunk. Accord doesn't have much of an intaginble unless the H emblem means something and the Camry has the biggest trunk out of three and also feels roomy. But the sonata i think did some more homework, and put alot more effort in general.

Price: Sonata
even with the rebates offered for the Accord or Camry, sonata still was over a grand cheaper and had more bells and whistles that came with it. Better value for a car on such par with the accord or camry.

So basically in my analysis the sonata is the winner. The accords heart, its engine is a teaser, but everything else about it turns me off. Camry's steering feel scares me in general, but it is a nice family car for those who like to take their time driving. I have heard about the mid cycle changes happening soon for both Accord and Camry, and when asking the sales man about changes to the car other then exterior and interior look and some extra add ons, everything else(like driving dynamics, engine etc) will stay the same. I'm thinking about the silver Sonata 4 cylinder with 17 inch rims option for it. I welcome any other analysis

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Last week, I had the chance to take a test drive a fully loaded Sonata LX and was very impressed. Over the weekend, I was at Philadelphia Park Racetrack for a Hyundai sponsored and very enjoyable competitive assessment program; the Accord EX V6 and Camry XLE V6 were on hand (as well as many Sonatas). Overall, I'd say the Sonata is the victor, especially at 3K less than the other two.

Snaking through the pylons as quickly as I could, I found the Sonata LX, with its V6 and well programmed stability control, the easiest to pilot, and the most forgiving. The steering is well weighted and the 17 inch tires provided good grip. The steering didnt feel particularly quick, however, and body roll was less contained than in the Accord.

The Accord easily provided the best steering feel, with good feedback and sharp response. BUT- even having driven the Accord three times around the same track, I really didnt feel as confident. Without any available stability system, it felt too easy to break tire adhesion and rotate the rear end. The tires were unimpressive and the car felt as if it 'slid' around the course more than it did feel as if it was negotiating it.

The Camry XLE V6 surprised me. I thought it was going to feel like a barge, but decent tire grip and the VSC (which beeps very annoyingly when activated) helped me cut clean lines. The steering is more similar to the Sonata's than the Accord, but the VSC is more intrusive than in the Sonata (which is typical of Toyota systems). It was not sporty, but it felt more reassuring than the Accord.

In terms of acceleration, the Accord literally LEAPS off the line. The Sonata is similar, but subjectively, it felt like the Accord might beat it by a few ticks through the quarter. The 210 horse Camry didnt slingshot out of the gates like the other two, but it felt plenty strong, and theres a new Camry around the corner in 9 months. (Plus, theres the 225 horse variant that wasnt at the test drive).

Braking would seem to go to the Sonata, IMO, with decent but not outstanding pedal feel but what felt like plenty of stopping power. The Accord's pedal is outstanding, but of the three vehicles, it felt as though it had the LEAST raw braking power.... ie.. I got the impression it would stop last. The Camry's pedal is softish at the beginning of its travel.

I found it amusing that twice I had to abort driving agressively because the folks in front of me were driving so slow that I caught up to them. For the rest of you who attend this event, HAVE FUN! You can be gentle when you buy the car, lol.

I also drove the Sonata GL 4cylinder around a course that did not feature a competitor. It was fine, but really, the V6 is such a gem in refinement and power that I really cant see purchasing the 4. Around the cones, it had noticeably more limited tire grip than the LX, and I found the 4 speed transmission easily perplexed when I nailed the accelerator, as compared to the V6's 5 speed.

I dont believe that this 4 cylinder would clock times like the Altima or Accord 4s, perhaps maybe on par with the Camry, but even in the Camry I can get the tires to bark off the line without brake torqueing. (And yes, I know the Sonata has TC, but it didnt activate on the start).

Thats all the time I have now, but I'll post my impressions on interior and room based on my dealership test drive shortly. Overall, this is a winner among the mainstream sedans, IMO, but moreso in V6 guise. The 4 cylinder is good, but it doesnt stand out as does the 3.3L.

~alpha
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Do you think VSA and 17" tires would have made a difference on the Accord EX V6 ? (two features that will probably make it onto the MY06 Accord in about 2 months)

If I was in the market for the Sonata V6, I would wait at least 7-12 months (new plant, new model, new engine, etc.). Also by that time, the new Camry and better deals will be available. If I was in market for the 4-cylinder and didn't mind Hyundai's omission of folding-mirrors (like we do), I would go for it, but based on Alpha's review, the 4-cylinder appears to fall short in some areas so the V6 may be the one to get.

~bklynguy
  • zupzup Member Posts: 15
    You mean 2006 Hyundai Sonata, the 2005 is the older model.
    Theres no doubt that VSA would have corrected the fishtailing, IMO. But I dont necessarily feel 17 inch tires would have done the trick any better than gripper 16 inch tires. The Camry despite having greater though not excessive body roll, felt gripper. I apologize, but I didnt not have time to check to see which brands/models of tire each wrore.

FWIW, I didnt say or intend to imply that the 4 cylinder falls short. It is definitely ON PAR with the 4 cylinder Camrys and Accords that Ive driven. However, it isnt necessarily the huge leap forward that the V6 is.

Best value, IMO, is the GLS V6 w/ Premium Sport Pkg.

~alpha
  • gkelgkel Member Posts: 2
    Which sonata did you buy and what did you get it for? I'm trying to decide between the sonata, accord and altima. So far, I've received a quote on a V6 Sonata with cloth and sunroof for 21875 including taxes and tags.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Afwun, I moved your post to our Sonata Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion since that's the best place for it. Here's the link - afwun, "Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #465, 27 Jul 2005 2:07 pm - congrats on your new ride!
  • mbx4stevembx4steve Member Posts: 24
    Anyone know if the Sonata has been crashed tested? If it has the same or better ratings than Accord, this would be a great car to have.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    for changing to 2006 sonata.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    hasn't been tested yet, or the results hasn't been released yet

but i assume this they added traction , stability and all these extra airbags, the company is taking safety features very seriously. Crash testing could be expected to be above average to stellar
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Just got back from a trip to Chicago, across to Ohio, and back, in a rented '05 Sonata, and I have to hope that the '06 V6 is a huge leap forward. The thought crossed my mind that they do more than just eat dogs in Seoul - they design them too! That's probably a bit harsh (as well as a gross generalization of the Korean diet), as it did ok on the 4hr Turnpike drive, but it was borderline hazardous going around corners, and the acceleration when merging or in traffic was underwhelming to say the least. The drivers seat was saggy and unsupportive, and the wait for anything to happen when I put my foot down was seemingly endless. Hyundai has somehow managed to build the handling of an '80's Regal into a compact sized car. The 2.5l Altima I rented on the exact same trip last year was light years better in every respect. Here's to the '06!
  • janeencjaneenc Member Posts: 29
    After reading your description of your recent road trip I had to reply. I have never driven the 05 Sonata but I do own the 06 Sonata. I can safely say that none of the mentioned driving experience you had is any part of the 06 lx v6. I have owned camrys, corollas and others and the 06 handles fantastic. At one point I would have never considered a Hyundai, but they have done an incredible job on the 06 and many credible auto reviews have also agreed. The reviews are what got me interested in even considering them in the first palce.Next time rent get an 06. Handles well in all weather conditions(haven't been in snow),seats are firm,headlights light the road very well. Corners without problems and gets you around semi's on the interstate without hesitation.I have never felt the need to write about any of the others cars I have owned in the past... but when i joined this site recently I can't help but defend the quality and performance. ;)
  • btrautmanbtrautman Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my LX in February of this year. I love this car. The best I have ever owned. Surpasses my Saturn L200 by far........

I have heard good things about the 2006 model but I prefer the styling of the 2005 over the 2006...

Bob
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I had a totally different experience. Bought a new '05 GLS SV in Naples, FL in April. Drove it back to south west CT 2 days later. The drive, including the seat comfort, handling, wind or road noise, acceleration and gas mileage was excellent. The trip was roughly 22 hours on the road in two days. Plenty of other cars would have worn me down in 8 hours or less per day.

All but 200 or so miles were on I-95 (or off shoots). Once I got on the Garden State Parkway in NJ, I encountered curves, hills, stop & go, congested toll booths with idiots cris crossing from lane to lane.

What trim level was your rental car? When you were on the winding roads did you keep your speed to near the speed limit?
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    I don't think it was the lowest trim level (it was the V6), but it did have the cloth seats not leather. I'd guess that the leather is better, maybe helping the foam support a little more. Amenities were fine - power everything, etc, and I never really took it down winding roads - it was the freeeway off ramps that were the biggest problem. I rented it because we wanted to listen to a book tape on the drive, and it was the only car Avis had with a tape player.

I read the C&D review that praised the '06 extensively, so it loks like Hyundai is making strides. I'm pulling for them to add more good competition and keep the Japanese companies on their toes.
    The GL (base model) is available with the V-6, so that really doesn't tell. The GLS and higher models have 16 inch wheels compared to 15's on the GL. This does help the handling. Did the rental have a leather wrapped steering wheel, power antenna, illuminated visor mirrors? If not, you had the GL.

My GLS SV handles well but it does not handle like a car with a sport handling package. The car rides so well on the highway that it is easy to be going faster than I realize. Going into an exit ramp at 20+ MPH over the ramp's posted speed can be adventurous! :)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Midsize imports comparison thread ?

It seems the Sonata lovers are posting twice, once in each thread.

I wish the new 2006 Sonata well, but time and long term relaibility are unknonw and will be the telling factors.

6-speed 2005 Accord Coupe,

MidCow
    I've explained my logic. If you disagree with it.. no worries, but Im not going to reiterate the same points again.

In regards to your comments...I personally dont feel that the Altima and 6, Altima in particular, handles better than the Accord, for example. And the 6 doesnt offer more power than the Accord, and Im not certain that the Altima does either.... its 175 horse 4 and 250 horse V6 HAVE NOT been rerated according to the more stringently define SAE ratings of 08/04.

Have you actually driven a Malibu V6? Sure, its not sporty, but its a competitve American entry, with good room, power, ride, efficiency, ergonomics, crash scores, and its pretty cheap. Its pushrod engine isnt the most refined, but its interior is at LEAST on par with the Nissans.

~alpha
  • rmeynrmeyn Member Posts: 2
    I also did my comparison shopping and unfortunately I chose the Sonata GL 4 cyl. I was originally impressed by the "value" received with all the extra goodies however, I am very disappointed with this car. The primary reason for my purchasing the Hyundai was the suggested gas mileage "33" MPG on the highway, the 100K warranty and the price. I was willing to sacrifice comfort for better gas mileage since I do approximately 160 miles a day, mostly highway. I am averaging 24-26 MPG which is worse then my 2000 Toyota Avalon (27 MPG)with close to 100,000 miles. The seats are very poor especially if you spend 3 or so hours a day; there is no support. I have since tried to pass the car off to my wife and get my Avalon back and under duress she gave in however, she to commented that the seating on the Sonata has no support.

If you haven't made a decision yet and still want a 2006 Sonata with under 3,000 miles, I'll give you a deal and go buy a Honda.
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2005 Camry SE V6. My wife's 15 year old car finally started to give us trouble. My wife bought a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6. When she brought it home, I said oh God what did you do. She handed me the keys and said drive it. I will never put down Hyundai ever again. This is one nice car. The rear doesn't bounce like my Camry. It has a good radio. I'm 6'4" and find it very comfortable. Way to go Hyundai. Just hope the wife will let me drive it.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    3,000 miles is too early to judge gas mileage. Wait until 10K to get a realistic figure. The seats won't get any better however.
  • epcepc Member Posts: 1
    btw is your sonata the latest model? Is it the CVVT 2.4 engine? How old is your sonata?
    I heard the V6 is still best when sonata is concerned. Can you tell me how is your engine? Planning to get one and appreciate your feedback.
    TQ
    EPC
  • akaristosakaristos Member Posts: 18
    As an outside observer, I think it is fair to say that the Honda's Accord and Toyota Camry are proven reliable and performing entities while the Hyundai's Sonata 2006 while well received and reviewed is still far from setting up the track record of its rivals. My 2 cents. :)
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    I agree completely and said as much 10 mos. ago when the first glowing reports of an as yet (at the time) unreleased new model on these shores started coming in from overly impressionable posters. Though I wish Hyundai every success, I haven't changed my opinion yet.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    fyi...Toyota and Honda just got caught inflating horsepower numbers and are being forced to come clean and report the true HP numbers.

Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers.

• 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    There was no inflation of hp figures anywhere; SAE has introduced new procedures for HP testing, and most auto manufacturers are slowly restating figures according to these new guidelines. I would recommed you take a look at the SAE website before making any claims.

On the other hand, companies like GM are restating HP figures for only those engines that either stay at the same level, or increase, since restating is optional as of date.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    SAE has revised the hp and torque measurement procedure for 2005. I know youre lazy so I will just post here the link for that information.
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_sae_adopts_new/
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    So on how many threads did you post this? I don't think Edmunds' policy favors this sort of thing.
    Change in method of measuring horsepower is interesting. I had a '71 Volvo 1800E, 121 cu in, rated at 130 HP. In '72, same car, same engine was rated at 118 HP due to different measuring of HP. That's a long time ago, but I think the conventional wisdom was that in '71 they measured HP at the engine and in '72 they started to measure it at the drive wheels.

There've been other odd things over the years. '75 Firebird V8 was a sled, '90 somthing Firebird V6 would kill the '75 350 CID V8. All manufacturers have improved, attaining better performance and better gas milage than not that many years ago.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Not all car manufacturers are following this new rating. Nissan didn't follow the new ratings, the only car Nissan has under the new SAE rating is the 2006 FX 45.

I am not sure if this information is correct, but I read (in C&D forums) that Mazda was hit badly by the new ratings to.
    Superficially, it appears to me that these new test procedures put more emphasis on low end "grunt" (torque) than they do on achievalble horsepower. The big GM and Ford V-8s seem to beneifit substantially since they're traditionally stump-pullers. The Wankel rotary engine (a version of which Mazda manufactures) was never known for low speed torque. "Buzzy" piston ricers that also develop their peak HP once the revs are up, also appear to come off at the short end of the stick with these new test procedures. One can only imagine how badly Indy "screamers" that are run at 9,000 RPM and higher during competition would fare. (Isn't it odd that GM, who's resisted the 20-year trend toward multivalve overhead camshaft engines in their larger offerings (except Cadillac), suddenly finds itself the benificiary of an SAE test procedure modification windfall? Except for moving from iron to aluminum, the LT series of V-8s are the best 50 year-old pushrod designs available - actually older technology than that if you count early Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac V-8s. Pure coincidence, I'm sure, since GM is undoubtedly chomping at the bit to re-design these inefficient gas guzzlers. ;))
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    Just drove my 2006 Sonata V6 from Philadelphia to New Hampshire and back. It is one very quiet car. Power was good seats were good. Only problem was my radio. It would sometimes static. When I took it in radio didn't static. They replaced it anyway. Have 2004 Camry outside temp gauge not accurate. Toyota said live with it. They could learn from Hyundai.
  • norabnorab Member Posts: 1
    I've read the Edmunds "2006 Hyundai Sonata vs. 2005 Honda Accord vs. 2005 Toyota Camry", and it seems that the Sonata V6 is being compared to 4-cyl models, both Accord and Camry. If somebody sees it differently, please correct me. Otherwise, we should be reading an apples-to-apples comparison . . .

We own a 1999 Accord EX V6 and have had absolutely no problems in 5 years. It gives us a combined gas mileage of 21mpg. We expect that a 2005 or 2006 model would be an improvement over that, but we cannot afford to buy the same model new car, and are considering the Hyundai V6. However, the owner-reported actual gas mileage for the Hyundai does not seem to be that great.

Can anybody else report on their Hyundai V6 gas mileage?

--n
    There are two ways that auto publications usually do comparison tests, more or less. The first way is to buy vehicles at a similar price point, and compare performance, execution, features, etc. Thats what happened in this comparison test. Otherwise, and this is what CR usually does.... they equip vehicles similar and gauge value based on price variations. Had edmunds.com used an Accord and Camry V6, they would have been $24K.

Personally, Im not a fan of edmunds.com comparison tests, but I thought this one was well done (The more cars tested, it seems, the more trouble edmunds has writing a credible review, free of factual errors, etc.)

~alpha
    Another factor is that few of the 2006 Sonatas are fully broken in yet - defintely a factor in fuel mileage results. How well you'd take to a Hyundai is another issue to consider. Sonatas aren't bad, but, they're no Accord, either. I came to my '03 Sonata after I totaled my '96 Accord. My Sonata's been trouble free, but the Accord was a better "driver's car" - and utterly reliable for over six years, itself. The new Sonatas may well be an improvement in roadholding - but I've had no time behind the wheel of one to establish a personal reference. I've been criticized on this forum for not being a loyal Hyundai Sonata pom-pon "booster", but where a $20,000.00+ purchase is concerned coming from a competitive make with an established track record, I'd rather tell it like I've found it and take the lumps from a few die-hard, vocal, Hyundai "uber all" loyalists, than have someone expensively disappointed by overly enthusiastic comments from me.

My '03 Sonata V-6 was rated by the EPA to deliver 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway. At nearly 16,000 miles clocked, I'm getting 22+ mpg city/31 mpg highway. The '06 Sonata V-6s are rated (I believe) by the EPA at 22 mpg city/30 mpg highway. Once broken in, they should do a bit better than their EPA ratings which are on the conservative side.
  • rmkjrrmkjr Member Posts: 1
    I live in a rural area, so, most miles are hiway miles at 55-70 mph. We have 2700 miles on our 2006 Sonata LX V6 and get 30 mpg when driving conservatively on state hiways at the posted 55 mph where the small towns are 6 miles apart. Freeway speeds of 70 mph reduce that to just under 29 mpg. Did get 33 mpg with a strong tail wind.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    CR is less than enthusiastic about the new Sonata. The newest issue of the comprehensive CR Auto guide doesn't even publish the normal CR reliability matrix. Their early review of the 2006 Sonata points out less than stellar handling and the new engine/transmissions. After reading the article, I chuckled at another Toyota/Honda wannabe's analysis. It looks like the 2006 Sonata is better compared to the Chevy Malibu/Mitsubishi Gallant/Mazda 6/Subaru sedans, rather than Toyota/Honda. I'll have to give Hyundai credit, it's not a bad effort for a ship building corporation whose sideline is autos and should appeal to those only shopping for price and warranty, not high resale and long-term reliability. Price rules many households and should have a good effect on Sonata sales.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I have driven the new Sonata twice actually, once during a test drive and another time with my friend. I have to say, I was impressed.

If you were to give me a choice between the Camry and Sonata. I would go for the Sonata. But if you were to give me a choice between the Accord and Sonata I would go for the Accord.
    What do you mean by "high resale", number of dollars or value as a % of the price paid? A few months ago I looked into Edmunds projected resale for Sonata, Accord & Camry. The difference compared to the price paid was next to nothing. That was based on the '05 Sonata, Accord & Camry. Who knows what the '06's will do?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    ctalk said:

"If you were to give me a choice between the Camry and Sonata. I would go for the Sonata. But if you were to give me a choice between the Accord and Sonata I would go for the Accord. "

Number 1: Accord
    Number 2: Sonata
    Number 3: Camry

Is that was you are saying ? If so, I would tend to agree.

MidCow
    In my "humble" opinion resale value (and trade-in value by extension) statistics may give an idea what used cars are "worth" as a guide, but are essentially meaningless once the issue comes down to an individual owner's sample, how desirable the car is generally, and the time of month when the dealer may be pressured to move stock. A car, like any commodity, is only worth what someone else or a dealer is willing to pay. Even Kelley Blue Book evaluations can be (and are) fudged by dealership evaluators and/or sales managers.
  • dgroszdgrosz Member Posts: 2
    I second that. I just completed the 1200 mile run-in and changed to M1 5-20 at 900 miles. After a very high speed run between Boston & Maine I am very impressed by this car. Extremely quiet and stable, everything works. The engine seems to be loafing at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM (you will have to buy the car to calculate what speed that translates into).

The car simply reeks of intelligent design and carefully calculated choices. For example some of the interior trim may not be as fancy as a Lexus but the engine is right up there. Frankly I would rather pay for that. The interior room is great--it swallowed my wife & three kids (10, 8, & 5) with no problem.

At the price point where its at its untouchable. I shopped it very carefully against the 2005 Accord and Camry Solara and cost was not the main issue....value was. I am delighted with my choice.
  • saxe10595saxe10595 Member Posts: 35
    I think Sonata is improving over years and 06 is a good improvement but still honda's/toyota's are more refined and keep their values better over years. I drove 03 camry and just purchased 05 accord. I did consider Sonata 06 but if you are consdering 4cyl then I guess you can't do bad with both toyotas and honda(I felt Sonata may be 1k cheaper but wouldn't hold it's value after 5 years and I am not that confident that it will run trouble free). V6 Sonata does seems to be good value as it is priced much less than Toyotas and Honda's it the same class.(almost 2-3 k)

I am also not sure about trouble free driving with Sonata's as Honda's and Toyota's can run trouble free for years though Sonata has 10 years warranty.
    I'm curious - did you use your '03 Camry as a trade-in? If so, which engine and what did the dealer allow? I have an '03 Sonata with the 2.7L V-6 and the Kelley Blue Book value on my low mileage, ding-free, corrosion-free, California, car (just under 16,000 miles, purchased new in December 2002) is already down to around $9,500 dollars. I'm not complaining because I knew full well going in that the only way to extract full value out of a Hyundai is to drive it out of the vehicle over 6-8 years.
  • banditboybanditboy Member Posts: 54
    I have 90k on my 2000 sonata so at what point my wheels fall off now!!!
    The point at which you hear loud scraping noises and experience sudden loss of steering control. ;) Not sure you posted in the correct board, banditboy, but to answer your question, there's no hard and fast rule. The probability of engine mechanical trouble at whatever point in any car's life is directly proportional to how thouroughly it was mistreated or poorly maintained as a "youngster" - no different from people. If you've followed the owner's manual "severe service" recommendations on routine maintenance and used the recommended fluids religiously, and driven the car moderately, the engine could still have well over 200,000 more mechanically trouble-free miles in it. Hyundai transmissions are particularly susceptible to abuse, though. Suspension links and sealed units such as wheel bearings and CVJs are a crapshoot on any car after 70,000 miles.
  • grandaddytbonegrandaddytbone Member Posts: 1
    I had a hard time deciding between the three, but ultimately went with the Accord. The reasons may not be the best but there were just a couple of things I couldn't shake and that I don't see much talk of on the board.

1. No one seems to have mentioned so far that the insurance on the Sonata is higher than either the Accord or the Camry. For me it was 10 bucks a month difference. Not a huge problem, but for some drivers in certain parts of the country the differences may be greater.

Couple that with the higher gas usage (assuming you get the V6 [because there are no real great reviews of the 4]) and the Sonata is just more expensive to drive every month.

2. Maybe its just me, but the radio is just plain ugly. I know the Accord has its own oddities with the volume control between the AC, but it is no where near as sad to look at as the Sonata. Maybe that's just petty, but I couldn't look at that thing every day for the next few years.

3. The ding. Maybe its a safety thing, but the seatbelt off reminder is sooo painful, and does not stop.

In sum, I'm not against the Hyundai at all, my wife drives a Tucson and loves it and I wish them only the best. Maybe a year or two out when the little bugs are worked out and the cosmetics have changed I'll trade out my Accord, but until then I'm plenty happy in a very reliable, comfortable ride that is still very safe.
  • saxe10595saxe10595 Member Posts: 35
    No, I still drive my Camry and Accord LX was replacement with 2001 Civic EX which I sold for 10600 to a private buyer. My wife is a primary driver for Accord. I think you are right- about resale value for Hyundai but I have to tell you that dealer was offering me 7k for my nicely maintained 2001 Civic EX with 49 k miles when KBB was between 10700-11200 and I sold to a private buyer for 10600 within few days of my ad on line.

I guess resale values are much higher for toyotas and hondas compare to Hyundai and when you do want to sell them you will have tough time finding a buyer.
    One indicator of Hyundai's dismal desirability is that I've never seen a lowered, tricked-out, custom painted Sonata or Elantra with resonnant fart pipes, mammoth wide wheels with 40 series rubber, dark tinted windows, and a blarring giga-watt audio system with more 12" woofers hiding in the trunk than the engine has cylinders, rolling down mainstream or ethnic cruising strips on weekends. Not that I actually care, but not ONE. On the flip side, the remote entry/alarm system is probably superfluous. Only a blind moron would steal a Sonata. These are "Lawrence Welk" cars. Why, as someone pointed out on one of the Accord boards, Sonatas cost more to insure than Accords, is a mystery worthy of a novel by "The DaVinci Code"'s author.

(And if, per chance, I ever do witness such a spectacle, I expect the audio system will be drowned out by streetside laughter.)
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    <(And if, per chance, I ever do witness such a spectacle, I expect the audio system will be drowned out by streetside laughter.)>

Actually, I laugh every time I see a tricked out Honda, or any other Asian compact "boy racer" car. There are plenty of other stock vehicles that could blow their doors off!

There are certainly some glitches in the 2006 Sonata design, but I think Hyundai will iron them out very quickly. Place more radio controls on the steering wheel, move the rear speakers from the rear doors to the parcel shelf, make the power driver's seat standard (all as per Camry LE), as well as some mechanical/suspension tweaks and I think Hyundai will have a serious competitor. Given a first year car, Sonata is an excellent product, and will only get better with time. Both Honda and Toyota should be concerned with the direction of the Korean car companies.

Come to think of it, I also get a big kick at all the vehicles with giant wheels, spinner wheel covers, etc. I just don't get it. A serious waste of money . . ., and they just look hilarious.
  • altis_jdsaltis_jds Member Posts: 2
    Someone mentioned why they tested the 4 cylinder camry/accord but the V6 Sonata. Read the review. It says that they went for the same price of each car. I believe the Sonata ended up being the cheapest in this comparison, yet still had all this great stuff. I am very impressed by Hyundai at this point. It doesnt quite have the same thing that the accord has, but for the price, its sure close enough. And Id rather have it than a 4 cylinder Accord.
This discussion has been closed.