Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Ford Escape Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• loveakloveak Member Posts: 10
    We just got ours out of the shop recently for similar problems. Couldn't find anything wrong-sorry-that'll be $90. Problem is-it went from 11-14 mpg before to up to 22 after we got it back. Hmmmmm. let's see didn't change anything after we got it back.........needless to say very uncomfortable with the dealership right now. T I really don;t think the techs understand the systems involved fully-meaning what to do when things don;t work as they should When they are checking "eveything" they are either reseting the computer or something.
  • ekiehnekiehn Member Posts: 33
    I hate to say it, but the "certified tech" who is supposed to be able to work on Hybrids probably passed a test but is only a "paper" expert. Even though I am based in Florida, I have driven my '06 in the Georgia mountains when it has been below 30 degrees and still was up in the 30MPG range (and this is based on tank fill ups, not just the instrument cluster). While I have found the instrument cluster to read a little high it isn't that far off from reality. One thing that did make a difference was after the 1st 10,000 mile check up - I believe the dealer tech did some sort of firmware/software update and my mileage was better and the instrument cluster more accurate. Of course my '06 was one of the first ones out since I had put in an order for an '05 and they ran out of that production model. Maybe you can find another dealership that may have a tech who is a better diagnostician as opposed to someone who relies just on what the computer is telling him. :D
    I think you are absolutly correct. When I had our EH in once about this he tried to try to tell me "You do realise that this is not a family car? This vehicle should only be driven by one person". You bring up an excellent point. Nly the other dealership is about 50 miles away-but it just might be worth it.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Dang I want to sell there!!!

My Ford dealer in somewhat rural NJ has about 10 other franchises within 20 miles. :( 3 more recently closed.

I use to work at a dealer with over 20 other dealers within 20 air miles. At least half of them were across the bridge into Philly/PA so it wasn't all bad.

Mark.
  • testestestes Member Posts: 13
    This sounds as though you began to run the defroster. If the HVAC dial is on a red area, like defrost, the ICE continues to run. I have only had the ICE turn off a few times with the defroster on in MA. Therefore, I turn on outside air, and turn up the temp. It keeps my windows clean and the mileage up. I did see a drop in mileage from 29 down to 25 when it got very cold up here.
    Yep, I have had to run the heater in defrost mod on occasion. Mainly when it's a blzzard conditions. I have now run 5 tanks through it since it has been in to the dealer and they could find "Nothing wrong". But lo and behold our mileage is hovering around 20. Before the dealer-mid to low teens. But see, your getting 25 correct? Even babying it, keeping it in the garage, very little highway milage really and still only 20. Hmmmmm.
  • malibuskymalibusky Member Posts: 15
    Picked up our new 2008...my 2007 was stolen and all I have to say is ...WOW!! 2008 is a different car, they cannot even compare to each other in any way. The 2008 is a complete and total improvement over the 2007. The interior and exterior styling, the drive and handling, the sound system is waaaay better with Sirius and the GPS is actually usable, the AC system is made to to take advantage of the hybrid engine and the gas mileage even seems to be a bit better. Best of all..it was about $300 less than the 2007.

Only disadvantage...no incentives but if you wait for that....you will not be disappointed.
  • lv031170lv031170 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a 2007 FEH back in January and my wife and I decided to wait for the 2008 model to see the changes. WOW! What changes. The most immediate change I noticed was the significantly quieter ride, wind noise and overall road noise. Ford stated they put more insulation in and I could sure tell.

Next, is the new and improved instrument cluster and center stack. It took seven years but they finally put in a separate button for the A/C. Yes, you can actually pick what direction you want the A/C to blow! The new "Ice Blue" instrument lighting is a nice new touch. The sound system is definitely better, too.

Overall, I am very impressed. We are getting towards the end of the first tank and it looks like we'll come in around 470 or so miles. I have a 2001 Escape and it has been a great little SUV. I'm hoping for many happy years with the new Hybrid.
    the direct tune radio. buttons 1 through 0 allow you to punch in the exact spot on the dial you want to turn to!

NEAT!

Mark
  • curly5curly5 Member Posts: 1
    Additional thing I want to add is that you will get more tax credit than for 07 model...
  • kpick4kpick4 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first SUV and my first hybrid. I use the instantaneous mileage graph to pinpoint when my heavy foot hurts the mileage. I am manging to stay in the 35 mpg range in the city. I avoided the whole battery replacement issue by leasing. The NAV system needs help. The maps have far too little detail resulting in a voice error message about lack of detail and an announcement that you are on your own. I paid far too much money for this level of functionality. Ford should ask Garmin how to do it.
    I'm hearing a lot of people really love the 2008 model. I have a 2006 that I got in April of 2005 and I love it. Mileage seems, for me , to have stabilized at around 31 to 32 MPG and this is measured by gas receipts (thought the instant mileage graph is very close). I use the nav system mostly when I am in Georgia (home base is Florida)and it seems to work fine but it is 3 year old technology. On the batteries Ford made what I consider a brilliant piece of engineering work. I went to one of the Escape Hybrid Road Shows in 2004 and saw that the batteries are just row after row of approximatly D cell sized batteries. Brilliant in that is a cell or cells go bad all they have to do is pull out the bad cells and replace with new. With the 100,000 miles and 8 year coverage that I got on the batteries I should never have to worry about the batteries.

To date I have spent on service of my Escape around $75, this was for 2 regularly scheduled 10000 mile oil changes. I'm due for my next service soon and I believe I will have an air filter to replace this time as well.

Good luck with your EHB I hope you enjoy the vehicle as much as I enjoy mine (especially when you pull up to the pump) ;)
  • damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    Quick question..I was too thiking of leasing an 08 later this year when my Freestyle lease is up. Can you tell me what kind of payment you got with years/Mileage/down payment? Also, do you get the tax credit then..I heard you get part of the tax credit, but, wasn't sure if that was true.
    Thansk,
    Damian
  • wvujebwvujeb Member Posts: 5
    You cannot get the tax credit if you lease. The leasing company would be able to take the credit. If you decide to purchase, the tax credit is subject to the AMT. As with other credits, you must owe more than the credit (If you only had to pay $1500 in taxes, you are only eligible for $1500 of the credit).
  • hippsychippsyc Member Posts: 2
    Just drove my new 08 escape from Illinois to Colorado and back a total of 1900 miles and averaged 29 miles per gal going 71mph. This is really a great suv. Handles good, rides good. not noisy at all. It beats my F-150 by 3 times. This is the sleeper vehicle that nobody knows about and it is really good!!!
    You've got the sleeper vehicle right. I was just watching our local news the other night talking about how Hybrid sales are going through the roof with the higher gas prices. What did the anchor say, Toyota and Honda are the best selling Hybrids right now, Ford and GM will be offering there own Hybrids by next year!

Just wanted to scream at the TV since I've had my EH since April of '05. On the other hand, if Ford would market the Escape Hybrid more (so what if you can't meet production), the buzz created about the the Ford EH being in such demand that they can't keep it on the lot would be worth it. Toyota wasn't shy about marketing the Prius when they couldn't meet production, why is Ford?

Anyway, I just came from a 1400 mile round trip from flat Florida to cold (32-45) Mountains in Georgia and averaged 29.8 MPG (per the gas receipts) and am loving it... :D
  • karlskarls Member Posts: 7
    We've had our new '07 since early last December, and we love it. I was very disappointed at the DC Auto Show in late January, because Ford had its usual big displays, but it put just two '08 FEH's in the very back corner with no signage other than the Hybrid badge already on the vehicle. Ford spent all its money promoting its Mustangs and Expedition XLs and F150s. The only people that even noticed the FEHs were the people who leaned on them while they watched the dolly with the Mustang on the rotating raised platform. :mad:
    Funny you say this when the FEH superbowl commercial with kermit the frog won an award for best ad of the year at the New York Autoshow.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=577
    OK, first my 2007 FEH is carjacked...waited for the new 2008, had it 1 month..3000 miles and my brakes went out on Saturday!! I cam to a corner and the brakes got "squishy" and although I my foot was at the floor, the car was still rolling, then the ABS and Brake light came on.

I THOUGHT I was very happy with the 2008 FEH...I am not now. Of course, I am out of town...it happened at 3:30, I called Roadside Assistance and they responded within 1 hour. Got it towed to the dealer...as they were closing...and of course they cannot look at it until Monday...got a call this morning and the Ford computers :sick: are down so they cannot run the codes to see what is wrong....still waiting to hear!

Meanwhile, they did not offer me a courtesy car, the on lot car rental was closed and they left a F-150 truck for $45 a day or a Lincoln for $95...well gee, I guess I drive a truck for a few days...while on vacation...how much fun!!

With an extra night in our hotel and 2 days so far for a rental, I am out $300.....and I still don't even know what is wrong with the car.

Thanks Ford, I am sure you appreciate my business...
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems while on vacation. Please save all receipts for the Rental Car and the Hotel. Then call roadside and see if you can get any of it refunded.

Mark.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not aware of any general problems with the brakes on the Escape Hybrid. Ford does care about your situation. Please call the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-FORD (3673) and let them know what's going on. They would be in the best position to assist you. I know there were issues with some of the Ford computer servers on Monday but they are all working today.
  • supercub43supercub43 Member Posts: 6
    Really like my new car. First tankful (which was supposedly filled at the dealership) I averaged 32MPG. Second tank I averaged 35MPG. Most of my driving is hiway, so I'm very pleased with the mileage. Beats the heck out of my 04 Explorer I traded in. I liked the looks....especially the front of the 07 better then the 08's. Also......I wanted a red one.....and red is not available in 08.
    So the brakes go out on Saturday, today is Thursday...yes, it took until 3:00 today to get the darn car fixed. The part didn't arrive at the dealer until late (at least that is what they told me) Wednesday afternoon, so of course they couldn't get the car fixed.."too much work" they said. :mad: After my husband calls and screams at numerous people at wonderful Palm Springs Motors, he finally said if my car was not ready by 5:00 he would have me drive home in the rental car (3 hours) and they could bring me my car when it was fixed...well, I guess it worked.

He did also call Ford relations and they were very nice, they called the dealer also and tried to help but basically it did not good either. However, they said they would file a complaint against the dealer...what ever that means. All I have to say....at least I was stuck for 5 days in a nice place!! :lemon: hope not......
    Red's not available? That's lame :P Believe it or not that is a factor in my purchase of a vehicle since every car but one has been red (I totaled the car that wasn't red). I love my '06 Hybrid and was looking forward to adding another one later this year to replace my aging '98 Windstar Van, but if I can't get Red that's out of the question.
  • kengreenkengreen Member Posts: 2
    April 7,'07.....purchased new '08 FEH
    This my third Ford Escape. This is the smoothest, quietist, and nicest of the three.
    In the last year, I drove the '05 12,800 miles, averaged 18.8 mph. At to days price,($3.00), my gas bill would have been,$170 monthly. I am currently averaging 33.4 mpg, my gas bill is $96 monthly, savings, $74 a month.
    Call me a Happy FEH owner. :shades:
  • dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    With about 1600 miles on my FEH I am getting 33.5mpg while driving 65 to 70mph on the Interstate. If I speed up to 70 to 75+ to keep up with the traffic, my mileage drops to about 27.5mpg. These are using actual receipts although I agree with a previous post, that the dash readout is very close. I had my dealer change the standard Continental tires to Goodyear Fortera's before delivery. These have better braking and handling and also are quieter but don't roll as easy so gas mileage might be a mile or so less than standard equipment. I'd expect the mileage to increase after a few more thousand miles.
    I had an '05 V6 for the past three years and liked it, but I think I will like the '08 even better!
    I also was upset with Ford about their limiting the color choices to what marketing thinks we should have on a hybrid. My emails were answered by customer service people who told me marketing makes these decisions and they feel these are the best colors for the Hybrid. I replied that I didn't understand how that can sell the most vehicles!
  • gmoreaugmoreau Member Posts: 4
    Mileage during freezing cold (20s) appx. 17 - 19 on AWD 2006 FEH. Mileage in Spring/warmer weather (50s/60s) appx. 23.4. Taking vehicle to the Ford dealer to find out what's going on. After reset of the computer; no change. Driving mostly in town appx. 35 mph. Total mileage: 13,800. First 6 months were great; last six months have been a nightmare. Feeling buyer's remorse; not a good hybrid, from my perspective. My Audi A6 Turbo got better gas mileage than this lemon.
    Let me know how it turns out. We've had almost the same experiances. Ford just shruggs their shoulders and says "Sorry, we can't find anything wrong, that'll be $90 please" It's enough to make you want to drive it through the dealership instead of using the parking lot. even with 50 degree weather, no snow tires, most mileage under 40 miles an hour, parking inside a night-hell I even waxed it trying to find something.
    It is a real mystery why some are getting great mileage an others are getting crappy. My 90 Z-71 off road gets only 5 mpg less than the FEH.
    Perhaps one of us can find a capabale tech how can figure out what the problem is and let the rest of us know. Anybody know of another web site on FEH by any chance?
    Since both you and the previous post seem to drive in similar conditions, have you tried using the L setting. L isn't really Low it's a different program and I have found that it makes a huge difference in just the type of driving you are describing (35 to 40 mph).

Another thought is to try and network with some other area FEH owners and see if they have found a dealer that has a tech who can do a little more than plug in a computer and say the computer says it's within specs.

My 2006 FEH gets around 31 mpg in above type of driving and I almost always use L.
    I'm drooling for the new '08 model. I am seeing reports left and right over the improved milage from the '05,'06 and '07 models.

I'm still happy with my '06 FEH where I average around 31 mpg, on a recent trip to North GA going about 80+ and a tail wind I actually maintained 29 MPG (same trip last year with a strong head wind put me down in the 25 MPG arena).

You guys with the '08 have a quiter nicer ride, If Ford would just put the Hybrid technology in some of there other vehicles (Freestyle, Edge or Van) I could get my wife a new Hybrid as well (she wants more style or room). ;)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large local newspaper is looking to speak to owners of the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, May 14, 2007.
  • alloysteelalloysteel Member Posts: 1
    I didn't even know these cars existed, my wife took our 1999 Buick LeSabre to get milk, and she stopped in at the Ford dealer on the way. She is subject to sudden enthusiasms, and by 8:00 that evening we had traded off the Buck, a 1998 Chevy Silverado and a lien on about 7 years' future income, for a new vehicle that is about as ticklish as a VCR to program, but what the heck, she likes the driving position.

A couple of small glitches, having nothing to do with the vehicle or its performance. There is no hitch receiver yet available for the mounting of a cargo carrier, which we need for carrying along a power scooter (my wife is disabled, and has need on occasion of additional mobility).

I understand such a hitch is soon to be available (through U-Haul, of all people), but Ford discourages the mounting of ANY hitch receiver on their hybrid models. We are talking about a load bearing not to exceed about 350 pounds, suitable to a Class II hitch, with a square receiver tube of 1 1/4", rather than the standard 2" tube.

Also I have a question - is the engineering on the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner based on the same platform as the Volvo XC90? Shorter wheelbase, and less overall length, but there is an uncanny resemblance when the vehicles are side-by-side. Ford is great for sharing platforms, and I know that some of the midsized sedans are essentially Volvo or Mazda platforms.
    NOT VOLVO.

The Escape goes back to the Mazda 626. The next Escape will be on a platform shared by Mazda, Ford, and Volvo.

Mark
  • tomgentomgen Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I just purchased a FEH last week. I know it's too soon to make many real determinations about it, but I believe you have to "Love" the whole hybrid experience, or you may end up being disappointed. Diesel auto drivers really really love those smokers. They don't mind putting up with the BS associated with owning a diesel.

I traded in a Lexus RX300. The FEH is no Lexus, but I knew that going in. There is no comparison between the two. I guess if had an extra $20K laying around I would have gone for the Lex hybrid. That said, I like the FEH. I love getting 50%+ better mileage than the Lex. I love not having to buy premium gas. I love it when it can run on battery when I'm stuck in a big traffic back up. I'm glad it doesn't have an annoying and distracting Prius-like Synergy Drive display. If I don't run into some of the issues other owners have mentioned, I will grow to really really love it.

Regards,

Tom
  • dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    I just returned from a 2500 mile trip thru mountains and flatlands. I drove between 65 and 70 mph most of the time on the Interstates and didn't do a lot of city driving. My actual average was 30.1 mpg which was very close to the computer readout. I did drive between 60 and 65 for about 200 miles on two lane highway and the computer showed 32-33 mpg and when I drove 75 for some of the trip, the computer showed 28-29. There is quite a difference in mileage between driving in the low 60's compared to the mid 70's. I now have 4800 miles on the vehicle.

At about $3.25 per gallon average I figure that I saved about $75.00 on this trip compared to my '05 V-6 Escape! I used to get about 23 mpg with that on a similar trip.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I just returned from a 2500 mile trip thru mountains and flatlands. I drove between 65 and 70 mph most of the time on the Interstates and didn't do a lot of city driving. My actual average was 30.1 mpg which was very close to the computer readout. I did drive between 60 and 65 for about 200 miles on two lane highway and the computer showed 32-33 mpg and when I drove 75 for some of the trip, the computer showed 28-29."

I've noticed before how little difference there is between my 2003 Honda CR-V and the FEH in highway driving. I have since sold the vehicle, but it got 27 MPG at 80 MPH, and about 30 if one kept between 60 and 65 MPH. It was an AWD version as well; the FWD got slightly better MPG. Also, the CR-V went to 5 speed transmissions in 2005 (mine was a four speed).

Of course, there is no comparison in the city; I got 22 at best in pure city driving, and more usually around 20-21.

I almost bought a 2006 FEH, but I found it "tippy" (in my opinion) the moment I left the lot for a test drive. The lack of stability control (still not available on the FEH, although it is STANDARD on the 2008 ICE Escape) made me pass on the FEH in favor of a Freestyle.

BTW, the 2006 Freestyle (for comparison) gets about 26.5 MPG at 80 MPH, and about 19 MPG in pure city driving. My usual tank is about 50 / 50 highway, which yields around 22.5. I have received over 30 MPG on the FS as well, at 55 - 70 MPH on pure Los Angeles all-freeway driving. But then the FS is about 600 lbs heavier than the FEH or CR-V, so this is actually pretty good for the size.
    The Hybrid uses an internal combustion engine also.

How about calling it the V6?

Mark.
  • brobbins70brobbins70 Member Posts: 1
    So far it is a good vehicle, I am at about 500+ miles and my mileage is still working up through the break-in period. I do a lot of city driving and enjoy the electric drive at low speed. My only concern is that yesterday on the way home doing around 45mph the A/C just stopped working. I fiddled with the controls, temp, fan, on/off and got nothing. At the next light I shut off the engine, restarted and the A/C came up. Any ideas? Anyone else seen this?

Brad
    Unless the "Econ" button is pushed and its light is on, the AC should not cut out and the gas motor will stay on at all times.

If the Econ button is lit, the AC will then cut out whenever the gas motor shuts down.

If your Escape does not work like this, take it back to the dealer and let them know what is going on.

You have a brand new vehicle with warranty and should not have to experience anything working less than 100% correct.

Mark.
  • mingo1mingo1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I've been driving a FEH for about 3 weeks on mostly flat terrain and the performance has been pretty good. Well, yesterday I was carrying 3 adult passengers and 3 pieces of luggage in the boot (about 750 lbs total including me). I turned on a street that immediately went up a steep hill for about 150 yards. The engine started screaming and the RPMs went up to about 5K and my Escape crawled up the hill. I thought someone was going to get out and push. It started to get embarrassing. Fortunately, the road leveled out at the top of the hill and performance returned to normal. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
    FEH, weight and uphill and not a good combination!! I have had the same experience, you really need to hit the floor boards with the gas pedal ....and watch your mileage drop also.
    If you were at a dead stop that turned onto a steep hill I guess I could see this happening. My experience has been pretty good, topper fully loaded, back cargo area fully loaded and 2 adults and 2 teenagers in the back going up and down steeply inclined mountains and I think I may have momentarily hit 4K RPM.

One thing I have noticed,if I want to move a lot of weight I don't peg the pedal. I let momentum get help me out, so I start slower let the gas and electric motors work together to move me forward. Then as the mountain gets steeper I apply more gas. This seems to move me right along without straining the gas engine.

It may be the way things are programmed, if you press down all the way on the pedal then prority may go to the gas engine over the electric thereby bypassing the most effective part of the electric motor, low end torq for high end speed.

Eric
  • hippsychippsyc Member Posts: 2
    I NOW HAVE 4046 MILES ON THE VEHICLE AND HAVE USED 124 GAL OF GAS. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE VEHICLE AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.
  • hybridpatronhybridpatron Member Posts: 2
    Hybrids diminish road rage!

I used to get aggravated with poor drivers forcing me to brake-hard and waste fuel. I have no problem with it now. The charge meter goes up and so does my gratification. I'll brake for anything now. I still get giddy when the engine goes off at a stop-light.

The Escape Hybrid is cool technology. And it's about time. I was reluctant of it being under-powered, but that's not the case. The car hops from a stop just like a golf cart.

There aren't many things I've purchased that exceed my expectations and this car is one of them. The car comes with months of free satellite radio. I'm enjoying commercial free music and just might continue subscribing. The CD player does play my home-made MP3/WAV CDs.

Here is the gas mileage so far:
    miles gallons mpg
    1201.2 9.43
    1465.0 9.27 28.5
    1870.9 13.30 30.5
    2267.2 12.78 31.0
    2646.4 12.12 31.3
    ave mpg 30.3

Be careful with pedestrians, when the engine is off its utterly silent.

David
    I've noticed the same thing. I used to be one of those need to make the next light type of guys. No more, if I make the light I make the light, if I don't I watch my mileage go up.

I have a 2006 Hybrid purchased in may of 2005 with over 40,000 miles on it. So far it's been $29 oil changes every 10000 miles and that's it. While the '08 seems to be nicer than '06, I'm in your camp... There aren't many things you purchase these days that exceed your expectations. The Escape Hybrid is one of those.

Only problem, My wife is going to need a new car, she wants a hybrid but wants something different. Hope Ford expands the hybrid product line soon. ;)
    When ever I "allow" my husband to drive my FEH, I yell at him to slow down...he is messing with my gas mileage...LOL

When I get into my Volvo Convertible, I have to mentally adjust and remember to keep my foot on the gas...otherwise the car doesn't move!!--then I hit the gas and remember how much fun it can be to drive fast, make my blood pressure rise anf get a little road roage.

And yes....kids cannot hear this car and you need to be very careful driving down a street with kids...they dont "sensse" cars but only hear them and when the engine is idle..it is a dangerous situation. A kid on our street literally turned while I was driving by, turned around not realizing I was there and almost ran into my car.

I love my FEH.
  • smiley317smiley317 Member Posts: 4
    I am a proud owner of a 08 FEH 4WD. I have been watching the FEH since the 06 model. I have drooled, watched for feedback, problems and real life MPG. I patiently waited, hoping others would help work out any "bugs". I finally purchased it and hope it will be all I expected. I love it so far. My sons call the electric motor super stealth ninja driving. I have fun trying to keep it in electric mode for as long as possible. I have had it up to 32 mph without the gas motor kicking in. I am anxiously waiting for the break in period to be done, so I can see my real MPG. Right now the display reads 23.3.

One question, does anyone know if you can use E85 in this vehicle? I know it lowers fuel economy. The owners manual says it is not recommended but does not give a reason why. Is it not recommended because of the lower MPG or is it not recommended because it burns too hot for the motor?

Help!

Either way, so far I LOVE this vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the club. I've had my '06 model since May of '05 and still love it (though I drool at the thought of the typically better millage and the softer/quieter ride the '08's offer).

It is fun trying to keep the car in electric only mode, my personal best record on this was 43 mph which I was able to sustain until I came to a traffic light :(

It's also fun to silently (but slowly) move through a parking lot and see people walking down the middle of the drive and suddenly realize there is an SUV right behind them (I'm always smiling when I see their startled look).

Now that It has cooled off ever so slightly in SO FLA I'm back up to my 33+ MPG (summers kill MPG because I have to run the AC all the time, just like Winters kill those up in north in Snow country).

I currently have 47000+ miles on the car and it's doing great. Hope you have as much happiness with yours as I've had with mine.

Sorry no idea on the E85 issue, but if the manual says don't do it I wouldn't. Maybe Ford will add a clean diesel in a future model and increase millage a further 30% but until then I'm just happy every time I fill up and can keep it under $50.

Eric
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    It is not recommended due to the fact the various fuel lines and distribution points are not E85 compatible. The owner's manual should have been more specific.. ie Do Not Use E85.
    E85 is very corrosive compared to reg gas and you can not use it in a vehicle not equipped to run on it. The Escape Hybrid is not equipped for E85 at this time.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.