Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Care and Maintenance

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Well if you feel that big oil is worthy of undeserved profits, then yes, you can have your oil changed more frequently.

Remember, your gas engine isn't working nearly as hard as in a regular car.

Also that really isn't that much longer as Ford is moving to 7,500 miles on gas models.

Mark.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Umm, you do realize this is a Hybrid Ford Escape forum? I don't think the 2001 model has any batteries except the 12 volt one?
  • carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    I believe you don't need an oil change until 10k. See the owner's manual.
    Really depends on how hard you've abused your engine. The hotter you drive it, the quicker the oil breaks down. Do you race from light to light like so many drivers do or do you drive it easy? If you drive it hard, pay the $24 and do it every 5-6k. I'll change it at 10k as advertised because I drive in almost ideal conditions (South Florida in the winter) and drive it easy. No more than 85 on the open highway.
  • bizrbizr Member Posts: 2
    I've ordered a 2008 FEH and am debating whether or not to purchase the premium maintenance plan. When I call different dealers to get a price for the regular 10K service, I get different prices. I'd love any input from owners out there who've had to pay out of pocket for the 10K, 20K and 30K services.
  • edjbussedjbuss Member Posts: 1
    I have 45000 miles on my FEH. I asked my dealer if there is any general maintance, adjustments, etc. that I should have done? He said something about flushing the fuel line and cleaning the injectors. The FEH is running fine. I am getting 30 MPG. Does anyone know if I should have any specific maintnace done? My dealer has only one FEH to work on, MINE!!!!
  • jasoncarpjasoncarp Member Posts: 8
    I just got my first 10,000 Mile oil change on my 08 FEH 4WD. When I bought the vehicle from the dealer which was over 2.5 hours away, he told me the oil changes would cost more but were less frequent and would end up saving me money. My local dealer charged me $45 and that included a $15 tire rotation. This seems awful cheap. Did they perform all the necessary maintenance I should expect?
    I hate to be skeptical but this is the first Ford I owned and first time dealing with this dealer/service department. How much is everyone else paying for their FEH oil changes and is that relative to a regular 3500 mile oil change?
    The other thing that ticks me off is this service department, much like the dealer that sold it to me put the sticker in the windshield that told me to come back in 3 months or 3500 miles. I don't get why they can't get that right. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • maksimemaksime Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,
    I just purchased mine with 17000 KM (10625 mi), dealer did the first oil change a part of the vehicle prep. He told me the same kind of comments on low maintenance costs, especially for brake change being less frequent because of the regen brake system. However, he also told me initially that the FEH gas engine never shuts off... :confuse:

I'm as skeptical as you are, it my first Ford also. FEHs are not too common and I wonder how many the Ford service departments actually see on a regular basis and if they are as familiar to it as any other ford car. I'm considering buying the service manuals so I can try to educate myself as much as possible on my FEH maintenance. At the price we paid it, I think it's worth it.
    to know as much as you can about your car. But any authorized Ford dealer is going to know what it takes to change oil on a FEH. Which, by the way, is more involved than other cars. Remember now, it's 10k between oil changes.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    To be clear to our friends on the metric system, by "10k" I assume you mean 10,000 miles and not 10 kilometers between oil changes. That is the Ford recommended change interval on the FEH under normal driving conditions.

Ford dealers were supposed to have at least one hybrid certified technician before they were allowed to even sell hybrids. Ask for the hybrid certified techs at the dealers,....even if you are just getting the oil changed. :D
  • bsealebseale Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried chaning the battery vent system air filter yourself? How was it? How did you do it. I'm not even sure where it is and how to get to it.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    If you have an 05/06/07 the HVBattery filter is on the left side of the rear cargo area, half way up the side behind a visible but unmarked plastic door. Changing is not very difficult. I assume the 08 model is similar. ;)
  • bow45bow45 Member Posts: 21
    Hello!

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD.

Is it ok :confuse: getting an oil change at Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express, Jiffy Lube, or somewhere? Because my dealer is 2 ½ hours away from my home. Any experiences?

Thanks in advance. :)
    Good Day,
    There is a specific maint schedule for every 12000Km (7500 mi). A simple oil change (including installing a new oil filter and multipoint inspection) is done on 12, 36, 60 K Km (7500, 22500, 37500 mi, etc) These one, you should be able to do them elsewhere if an authorized ford dealer is not closeby.

However, for the ones at 24, 48, 72 K (15000, 30000, 45000 mi) they include a more in-depth inspection with diagnostics, various filter changes, brake inspection, etc. These ones, I would do them at an authorized Ford dealer.

A wild guess, maybe if you contact Ford they may suggest something to help you out.
    Might want to see if your warrenty will still be valid if you use someone like Walmart and they mess something up in the process.
    Corrections from my previous post.

1. The hybrid schedule is for the 5000 mi mark, 10000 mi mark and every 10000 mi afterwards. The schedule varies depending on the operating conditions. For example heavy commercial use need oil and filter change every 5000 mi vice 10000 for normal usage.

2. The rear battery filter is checked and changed every scheduled service. Motor/electrical cooling system and hoses are checked every other servicing.

3. Excellent point by carysbluesky about warranty issues.
    For the past month, my '08 FEH 4WD's wrench lit will come on. It will stay on until I stop the vehicle. After restarting it only has been on again once. Called the dealer to schedule, but by that time it was off, and he told me to keep an eye on it. Happens about once or twice a week. I have 18K in 11 months. Has this happened to anyone else? Can a computer interface tell what it has been coming on for if it isn't on when it goes to the dealer. Could it just be a vapor lock thing with the gas cap? No symptoms of bad performance or bad mileage. Thanks in advance.
  • yurytyuryt Member Posts: 3
    Hi.
    For "wrench" light concern you will need to bring your Escape Hybrid to your local Ford dealer. They are trained to handle diagnosis and repair on these vehicles. Once at the dealer, technician will hook up a diagnostic computer and most likely will retrieve diagnostic trouble code B1239 from BCM ( Battery Control Module ). Ford has released a TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ) # 07-25-12 on this issue and should cover the repair under 3/36 warranty. The repair will include replacing rear/high voltage battery blend door actuator and reprogram your BCM with latest calibration. They will probably also recommend replacing your high voltage battery air filter.
    Hope this helps. :)
    I've printed this and will take to the dealer at my quickly approaching next oil change.

Jason
  • jcholl1jcholl1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the oil change interval for the hybrid? Also I would like to know how difficult it is to replace the filter???
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    See post #67 above. Here's a link back to it:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef86533/66
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    I believe it's 10K miles. Finally!
  • greenjengreenjen Member Posts: 1
    The back of the owner's manual has the maintenance schedule and what should be done at each interval. According to mine, first oil change is 10K miles.

I had mine changed at Jiffy Lube. I don't believe the oil change process is any different on a hybrid vs a gas engine. Could be wrong, though.

One note: I had my oil changed a little early since I was taking a cross-country road trip and would hit 10,000 on the trip. All of a sudden, during the trip, a warning message came on telling me I only had 5% oil life and I needed an oil change. Freaked me out since I was alone in the middle of Utah at the time and the closest service station was miles away. Figured out, it's just a computer setting to 'remind' you to change your oil based on how many miles you've driven since it was last reset. You can set the interval to anything you want. Apparently, Jiffy Lube didn't reset the warning.

Manual also suggests a tire rotation (I think at 10K miles) which I also had done at Jiffy Lube. Total cost - about $45.00.
  • charmandercharmander Member Posts: 2
    What does a wrench light icon mean?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Your question was answered in--High Miles--where you had originally posted it. Check it out.
    Hello!

I want to get new wiper blades for my 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD but it's hard to find right ones online. :sick:

Does anyone know which blades I should get :confuse:

Thanks in advance. :)
  • escape_hatchescape_hatch Member Posts: 1
    Hello--

We just bought a 2009--and at 1,500, we are already down 3/4 of a quart.

Does this make sense to Escape owners, out there?

Also, in my short search for the oil, recommended by the operations manual, I am already suspecting that this grade is not as accessible as others.

Is this true? And, if it is true, would I, in your opinion, be compromising engine durability, significantly, by using another grade?

If not, which grade might be acceptable?

Thanks
  • swtoolsswtools Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 FEH that has only 15,000 miles, but is well beyond the 3-year warranty. I guess that means it has had only one oil change in almost four years. So rather than wait for the 20,000 mile scheduled interval, I think it would be smart to have the oil changed now and have it checked out by a Ford dealer, even though it runs great. Are there any recall campaigns for the FEH that I should ask about when I take it in? Would they be covered even though the car is out of warranty?
  • escape6escape6 Member Posts: 7
    There were recalls on some FEH vehicles get the dealer to search them and do them. My 2wd 2006 FEH was a salvage vehicle so I have no warranty, however that does not impinge on Ford's responsibility to carry our recall campaigns unless they can prove that vehicle already had the campaign carried out The campaign carried out on mine involved removing the battery and installing a new wiring harness. It was a 3 hour job. All of the auto recall campaigns are VIN SPECIFIC! As for oil changes even with a low mileage vehicle the best thing you can do is change the oil. or other fluids. Long life is one thing but getting any accumullated moisture or other chemicals out of the engine are good for the engine,

Escape 06
    I found the answer by myself. :D

The reason I was looking for an alternative wiper blades rather than Ford genuine parts is that I had started to experience a noise from the drivers’ side wiper on my 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD in cold weather. The noise occurs when it’s cold and as the wiper reaches the end of its travel at far end. I think it’s not the wiper blade material that causes the noise because I switched driver’s side wiper blade with passenger’s side wiper blade but results are the same. Only the drivers’ side wiper makes squeaking noise. And I also replaced all three wiper blades last winter to fix this problem but no luck. :sick:

This winter I found out that Rain-X Latitude (newer version - it says “Fits over 98% of vehicles” on its package) has a connector for the 2008 Escape’s I&L wiper arm.
    So I bought one and put it on the driver’s side wiper arm. Though it was little hard to install the connector and bit bulkier than the original, It did fit well and more importantly doesn’t make any noise in cold weather! :)
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Our '06 Mariner Hybrid's single horn is behind/below the driver's side headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y. I wanted to add a horn, but decided it was way too much trouble just to get to the single horn. Good luck.
  • zephyr_boyzephyr_boy Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought a used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid with 79,000 miles on it. I am looking for qualified hybrid mechanics in the Los Angeles area.

I know I can take my FEH to a Ford dealership garage for maintenance, however I was wondering if any owners of a FEH in Los Angeles area have taken their vehicles to a local mechanic for basic maintenance (i.e. A/C Recharge, tuneup, transmission fluid change, brake pads)?

I love my FEH but my AC is not cold, I am looking specifically for any auto mechanics besides a Ford dealership to fix my Air Conditioner.

Thank you.
  • twgrindletwgrindle Member Posts: 1
    Now, why would this NOT be covered under the 8yr/100K hybrid component part warranty?
    Write your VIN number and state and I will tell you if it's covered or not.
  • escapeskier_32escapeskier_32 Member Posts: 2
    This has been happening to me on my F Escape Hybrid for the past 2 years. I thought it might have to do with the altitude out here in CO. (It seems to happen more often if I go up to the mountains.) I bought my 2006 Escape used in 2007 in IL and moved to CO 2.5 years ago. Can you tell me why this would not be covered as well since it is part of the hybrid system components? I am driving to IL this week and if I can have them do it because it is covered there, I would prefer to save myself the $300 for parts and labor.

Thanks,
    Laurie
  • escapeskier_32escapeskier_32 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get this figured out? I replied to this discussion #86. I have the same issue, vehicle is at the dealer right now and they want to charge me $300 for parts and labor to replace the "actuator". Please let me know what happened with your situation.

Thanks!
  • jurdeanjurdean Member Posts: 9
    Happening on a 2006 Escape Hybrid 4WD, with 26,000 miles on it. Has the factory Conti's on it still. Also seems to have only occurred this winter.

I wonder if the system is working and as the tires "heat" up - it triggers the tire monitor system for some reason.

Just a thought. Is it possible to overload the tire monitor system. What stinks here is when it happens - it closes down the MPG reading on the odometer. Just have the "idiot tire monitor fault reading" shown.

Finally, I checked the air in the tires all around. Hasn't lost 1 pound of air - as they tell you in the "winter" months to constantly check your tire's air pressure. For every drop in temperature below freezing - your tires lose 1 pound of air. I'm keeping the tire air pressure as set by the dealership - 34 psi. Have not had to add air.
  • jurdeanjurdean Member Posts: 9
    Happening on that same Escape Hybrid 4WD, with 26,000 miles on it. Vehicle has to be started and operated first. Remember it's an Electric Assisted Steering system.

Again, has only occurred this winter; live in the Northeast. No problems with driving - happens at cold start - driving for about 10 miles until the interior warms up. Goes away eventually.

It's strictly a noise issue inside the Escape. Though. I'm wondering if it becomes a "wear" issue at some point. Once summer rolls around, the noise is gone.

Is there any lubrication points with the Escape Hybrid steering column/wheel?

I think the solution is the steering column has to come out of the vehicle and looked at/ possibly re-aligned and/or lubricated.
  • grudaddygrudaddy Member Posts: 2
    I started getting the wrench light on my 2008 escape hybrid after going to the mountains. I exposed the car to freezing conditions and about 1 foot of snow. now the light comes on occationally. other than that, it runs well.
  • grudaddygrudaddy Member Posts: 2
    A few months ago, my key wouldn't start my engine. it kept making a clicking sound, but no start. I jump started the car and got a new battery from SEARS. After that everything has been perfect. the computer will have to relearn all your driving conditions, but it is easy to set up if you have the time. you can find how to re-program your computer in pg. 258 of your manual. I hope this helps someone. :P
  • joseph85750joseph85750 Member Posts: 22
    Whenever starting my 2008 FEH, it has always started quietly. I always assumed the electric motor starts (silently), and this starts the engine. I never hear a "starter", like in traditional gas only vehicles.
    I just went in for my 70k maintenance and needed a new/replacement 12v battery. I was told the battery does participate in starting the engine.
    Is this really true? Is there a starter in the vehicle? If so, it sure is quiet!
    It seems to me it shouldn't need a starter or a 12v battery, and be able to use the hybrid battery for everything. Apparently not the case?
    "Whenever starting my 2008 FEH, it has always started quietly. I always assumed the electric motor starts (silently), and this starts the engine. I never hear a "starter", like in traditional gas only vehicles.
    I just went in for my 70k maintenance and needed a new/replacement 12v battery. I was told the battery does participate in starting the engine.
    Is this really true? Is there a starter in the vehicle? If so, it sure is quiet!
    It seems to me it shouldn't need a starter or a 12v battery, and be able to use the hybrid battery for everything. Apparently not the case? "

Sorry it took a while to reply, this forum is pretty quiet. The engine is started by the high voltage battery, which spins the engine up to about 1000 RPM and then engages the gas. The 12v battery is required to power up the electronics, so that the high voltage battery can be controlled. Hence if you have no 12v battery, the FEH will not start. There is indeed no conventional starter motor.
  • joseph85750joseph85750 Member Posts: 22
    Steve:
    Thanks for the reply! Just as I suspected, regarding the starter and battery. However, they wanted to replace the battery because it didn't have the acceptable 'crank amps'. I doubt the 12v battery needs to be too beefy, but it would still wear out over time. I live in Arizona, so it happens due to heat faster than other parts of the country. Factory spec is 500, and they measured 256.
    "Thanks for the reply! Just as I suspected, regarding the starter and battery. However, they wanted to replace the battery because it didn't have the acceptable 'crank amps'. I doubt the 12v battery needs to be too beefy, but it would still wear out over time. I live in Arizona, so it happens due to heat faster than other parts of the country. Factory spec is 500, and they measured 256. "

Actually, it is probably a good idea. That battery plays a small but critical role!
  • jaysandyjaysandy Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    You need to have the Actuator mechanism for the rear fresh air blender door replaced more than likely ($200.00-$400.00 repair depending on dealer). It lets fresh air cool the batteries and is a known short life part not covered by Ford. Also you have an air filter in the back (storage area) panel (rear drivers side) that lets outside air flow past this blender door and actuator. It might be full of dirt and leaves as mine was when I bought the 12 month old Escape in 2008 from a Ford dealer. All of the other recommended services had been performed correctly but this was overlooked by the technician at the dealer. I would not drive forever with this wrench light ignored as your Hybrid batteries are not being cooled properly from the outside air.
  • jaysandyjaysandy Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    So that Ford can make $400.00 from us! I agree- show me this part in a gasoline powered Escape not there is it? I Went to Ford in writing to no avail on this Actuator Blender Door repair when my Escape had 40K in 2008.
  • erkerr67erkerr67 Member Posts: 3
    I just got an 08 AWD/Limited FEH a few months ago and notice it makes a squeeking, almost "cricket-like" noise from the dashboard area occasionally but cannot figured out why and don't want to pay yet just to have someone "check it out"

It's very hard to recreate on purpose - but have realized it happens during the following:
    - It's very cold/cool out (start driving in the mornings low 60's or below)
    - I have the AC going for a long period of time while driving and it's temperate to cool out (won't happen if it's really hot outside)

It seems like it has something to do with the air con or cold temperatures or something but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and what it may be?? it can be pretty annoying!
    Regarding a squeaking noise behind the dash :
    Usually it's caused by a faulty temperature blend door actuator. There are 2 of them, each one controlling temperature blend door position for driver and passenger. One is located directly behind the radio( behind the dash ), the other one is in front of center console under the dash. Usually the squaking noise comes from behind the radio . There is a motor inside the actuator housing , that moves the blend door. There is also a position sensor that tells climate control module the position of the door. What happens is that when actuator gets worn out, position sensor starts to malfunction and sends erroneous blend door position information to climate control module. The module is trying to move the door back and forth until desired position is set. This excessive back and forth movement of the worn actuator causes the squeaking noise. Often faulty actuator will also set a trouble code like B12A2 and B12B8 in climate control module, Eventually you will lose ability to control air temperature on one or both sides ( driver and/or passenger ).
    If that's the case, you will need to replace the temperature blend door actuators ( I always recommend replacing both ) with an improved part : AL8Z-19E616-F. This part should be covered under warranty for 3 years/36,000 miles. Depending on your warranty start date, it might still be covered.
    I hope you find this helpful.
  • kpainekpaine Member Posts: 1
    Mine did (does) this too. I've noticed when I have my AC set in the 70's. It is quite annoying, started shortly after we bought our year old FEH. We took it to the dealer, they didn't even look at it, they said they had just had another FEH come in the week before with the same problem, something in the cooling parts of the car. They ordered me new parts, (again, never even looked at my car), and then when the parts came in, they told me FORD would not cover the problem in my full warranty and it would cost several hundred to fix. So now I try to ignore it and crank up my music. It is ridiculous, and evidently, fairly common. And it does sound just like crickets.
    "Mine did (does) this too. I've noticed when I have my AC set in the 70's. It is quite annoying, started shortly after we bought our year old FEH. We took it to the dealer, they didn't even look at it, they said they had just had another FEH come in the week before with the same problem, something in the cooling parts of the car. They ordered me new parts, (again, never even looked at my car), and then when the parts came in, they told me FORD would not cover the problem in my full warranty and it would cost several hundred to fix. So now I try to ignore it and crank up my music. It is ridiculous, and evidently, fairly common. And it does sound just like crickets. "

If it is only one year old, isn't it under the factory warranty? I would call Ford corporate - and find another dealer.