Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

15678911»

Comments

• inmyhumbleopinmyhumbleop Member Posts: 24
    I suggest you need to thoroughly google Honda Civic Hybrid software update. Seriously. I also commiserate with you. I have a 2007 HCH and it's been hell. Wait until your car stops accelerating reliably. I was angry about the mpg, but now I don't even care. I just want my car to act like a "real" car. Did they tell you it was because your tires were not Low Resistance and you needed these kinds of tires? They tried to tell me that. Glad I didn't buy them, altho I thought about it. Not that I thought it would make a big difference, but to prove a point. But I can't afford to do it to "prove a point" so I didn't. Google, please.
  • daven007daven007 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased 2009 (feels new) with 60,000 miles on the clock. I have run about 8 tanks of gas thus far and have never seen an indicated average of much less than 40 mpg at refuel time. Average tank has been 95 percent highway with many miles at 75-80 mph. (Keeping up with traffic.) Best was a 44mpg highway trip at 65 mph over about 150 miles.

Last night I refueled with 454 miles on the trip odo and she took 11 gallons even after 3 top off pulls of the trigger. That is 41.3 mpg. Indicated on the dash was 39.7 FWIW. If tank hold 12.3 then 500 miles would be possible on a tank. Followed by running out of gas on the side of the road. LOL.

It seems as though a used hybrid like the one I bought as a CPO vehicle requires little or no premium over a comparably equipped non-hybrid. Mine has EVERYTHING. leather, nav, etc. Standard Civics with EVERYTHING are scarce. Paid about $16k for the car.

Hit me with the zingers I need to know about. I can take it. I love this little car. occasionally it freaks me out when I forget that I am not in my Porsche and the throttle pedal appears to be "broken". LOL.
  • mrwaugmrwaug Member Posts: 16
    I have a 07 that has never given me a bit of trouble and have never gotten less than 42 MPG. You will find others that have nothing but troubles, can only get 32 MPG, hate the car, and wish they had bought a Prius instead. The HCH can be a little finicky regarding tires, tire pressure, alignment, and oil viscosity. At 60k miles, you may find that your battery may need replacement between 80 to 100k miles, but thats where a extended mechanical policy comes in handy. It sound like you got a good one.
  • jfishingerjfishinger Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 09 a couple weeks ago. In a little less than 700 miles I'm getting about 29.8 according to the trip info. Lately with very cautious driving I'm at about 31. I would have been doing better with a Ford Focus and paid less. The service department at the dealer says it's fine. and not to believe the mileage claims on the internet or EPA.
  • tigerhonakertigerhonaker Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2012
    I have owned several Hybrid Civic cars as well as a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid with 255 HP.
    I still have the Accord Hybrid with 26K miles on it.
    It gets 37 MPG on the interstate at 70 MPH.
    That is with the HVAC on automatic.

The Civic Hybrids "Don't" get the mileage stated on the wondow sticker.
    That is just an {Estimate}.
    Also I can promise you if you drive that Civic Hybrid in a Normal Manner it will "NOT" ever get any real high mileage.
    I know I have owned them ......

The only way I ever got any kind of High-Mileage was to drive it like I had Egg shells under the throttle.
    Never ever to accelerate hard at all.
    No-Passing.
    No anything that used the Power.
    That Buddy is the way it is.
    You will see people Post all those Crazy Wild High Mileage Claims but they are not telling you how they got them.

Honestly I think the only Hybrid cars I know of that actually get the Higher Mileages are the Prius and the Toyota Hybrid Camry.
    Now they do get excellent mileage.

Also I will add this comment.
    It gets OLD real fast to have to drive the Civic Hybrid like a "Snail" to get any sort of High Mileage.

I don't really Post on here any longer as I have long since traded off that last Civic Hybrid for the 07 Honda Accord Hybrid.
    It does get High Highway Mileage at normal Interstate speeds, (70-75) MPH.

I will try to do a picture here of 1-tank of 87 octane gas I did as a Test on the Accord Hybrid.
    That will show you what sort of mileage it can and does get.
    I cannot recall if this site excepts Pics or not.
    But I will give it a try.
    If the Pic does not show I will than Post the Mileage for that Tank of Gas and the miles traveled before I refueled.

OK, it looks like the Links are there but you will need to, (Copy & Paste) them to your, (Browser) to view them.

The Miles on the 1-picture is 660.8 and the MPG for that tank was
    That will give you an idea of what a Hybrid Accord can get.
    That was driving in the City, Interstate etc.
    I ran the car until I had to refuel.

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tigerhonaker/IMG_0789.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tigerhonaker/IMG_0776.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tigerhonaker/IMG_0783.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tigerhonaker/Misc pics/Totalmile- - - - sdriventhistankPic1Sept2007.jpg[/IMG]

Terry
  • william1942william1942 Member Posts: 9
    I also have a '09 Civic Hybrid. I just had IM Battery work done. My gas mileage has gone from 24mpg up to a whopping 34mpg. This is mixed driving and actual calculations from the amount of gas used and odometer miles. I agree with the techie that you cannot believe the mpg from the dashboard. It told me that I was getting 29mpg before and 38mpg afterwards. "It is just fine" is the techie blowing smoke.
  • hybridsuckshybridsucks Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issues with my 09 civic hybrid. This situation is beginning to REALLY piss me off! I'm getting 24 mpg city/34-35 hwy and my dealer tells me their this nothing they can do and that there is nothing wrong with the car! They sent their "driver" out with it to "check it out" and came back with the report that he was getting the required mileage. LIARS!!!! I hyper mile with the best of them and if I slow down going up a hill (of which there are very few in DFW, TX), I will get run over, flipped off, etc. I'm talking sometimes, in order to keep the little mileage gauge over 30%, I have to slow to a crawl. I have fought this battle too long and I will never buy a Honda - ANY HONDA - ever again. I used to be a loyal Honda customer but no more. They will NOT help me with this. My daughter drives our older model 04 civic hybrid and she gets 40 in town without hyper-miling. I am tempted to take all of my evidence - and I have every single record - to court and let my consumer rights attorney handle it. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tigerhonakertigerhonaker Member Posts: 40
    William,

A total waste of your Time & Effort.

As I have Posted many times on Multiple INTERNET Sites.

Terry
  • bryan772bryan772 Member Posts: 6
    2009 Civic Hybrid

47City/55Hwy before update
    Freeway Range ~620 miles
    Frequent 200 mile round trip drive resulted in just under 3/4 tank remaining gas

45City/33Hwy after update
    Freeway Range ~350 miles
    Same 200 mile trips result in 1/3 tank remaining

After ~50 MPH, RPMs remains high after update. On 75MPH flat freeway car stays at ~2800 - 3500 RPM (used to be 1800 - 2100). Feels as if last transmission gear or overdrive was removed if it was a regular transmission. With such a small tank, cruise distance greatly reduced as well. Honda refuses to help.
  • zeoraizeorai Member Posts: 1
    This thread hasn't seen much activity, but I'll toss in my 2 cents too. I picked up our 06 HCH in 09 and it was quite good until the software recall. We consistently got 44-46 mpg no matter how we drove the car, quite an amazing feat. We had it for about 2 years prior to the recall. The only complaint would be the LRR tires. Those things are terrible when it's wet, but being in Socal that doesn't get to be much of an issue.

When we needed to change tires I opted for the non-LRR tires. Mileage did go down, it went from the previous 44-46 to 40-43 mpg. None of this was based off the computer, but calculations I did while filling up. We had 2 tanks of gas with the new tires before the recall and yes both tanks were 40-43 mpg.

Then I was foolish and took the car to a Honda dealership for service and they performed the recall and other stuff I needed to get done. Mileage dropped precipitously to 32 mpg and the noticeable lack of battery started as all the other posters have mentioned. I took the car back and they said everything was fine. I even had the service manager in the car when the car dumped the the battery from nearly full to 0 and start recharging and we had no electric assist. I asked him, "Is this normal? It never did this before." His answer, "Yes it's perfectly normal." He then proceeded to tell me I didn't have the LRR tires, which I know would not cause a 10 mpg drop from the previous two tanks. Ah...there's nothing like being lied to straight to your face.

So that's our story. I can tell the IMA battery in our HCH is obviously low and the recall is managing to prevent the battery from an early demise, and keep Honda from paying for a replacement. From everything I've ready I think if your IMA battery is ok, then the recall doesn't upset mileage that much, possibly not at all. But if your IMA battery is marginal, then the recall will have a serious affect. From the volume of posts and stories around the net since the recall it seems that Honda has a significant percentage of IMA batteries meeting an early demise. If they didn't I doubt they would have put resources in to the recall to contain the costs associated with the replacements.

It's been a year or so after the recall and now that the tires are more worn down I can sometimes eek out 38 mpg with serious effort. But I usually get 35 mpg and sometimes 32. The program is obviously tailored to LRR tires. It's not bad, but the constant battery reboots make driving the car quite challenging, especially getting on the freeway. The car is almost paid off now and the payment is ridiculously low so it's not really worth trading it in. Although every time the battery reboots I think about it. Which is pretty frequent! Problem is, I don't know what I could get to replace it and keep such a low payment. Although from a driving perspective nearly anything would be better! As a matter of principle we won't be buying any more Honda's. Honda made a calculated risk that this wouldn't lose them too many customers. I hope that calculus is wrong. It'll make them produce better products in the long run. Products that I won't be buying, but hopefully will benefit others. Honda seems to have addressed the issue in the 2012 HCH, but too late for me and for Honda.
  • justsaayinjustsaayin Member Posts: 1
    My Civic hybrid mileage continues to be lower and lower. I bought it new. . . a 2009. The hybrid battery has been replaced 2x by about 55,000 mi. (Scary) I even get poor mileage on the 5 between L.A. and San Fran. Can't blame it on a jack rabbit take-off in that case. I need to keep this car after it's paid off and had liked it enough that I wanted to. . . Just the same, the crummy and crummier gas mileage is a real dud. I am curious as to how off the number "estimated gas mileage" can be in the judge's mind and still be acceptable.
  • andy176andy176 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a used 2003 HCH last year. The battery had been replaced several years prior. The car gets 34 mpg in town. I wonder if this is a software problem and whether it can be fixed. Probably not. Also, the car rattles a lot, something in the passenger door. Besides the problems, I'm happy with the car. For the price it runs well.
  • 75926017592601 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    2006 Honda Civic Hybrid owner. I have had 5 shops check my car, including two different Honda dealers, all confirming my car is in great running shape with everything how it should. If I take it easy on my driving, I will manage to get 36 mpg. By easy I mean taking over a minute to accelerate to freeway speeds, not using the a/c, staying far enough back to not stop at lights, "gliding" when I do reach speed.

I am not he only one that is suffering from Honda's software update in 2010 and 2012 degrading how often the Civic Hybrid battery is used. There are hundreds of blogs of people with HCH not performing how advertised. Join me in holding Honda responsible by signing a petition o the White House website. alturl.com/as38m
  • chorlacherchorlacher Member Posts: 2

I've had my 2014 Civic Hybrid for just over a month now. Two weeks of that time was a road trip to Canada. With the car very loaded down (my wife and I, a 3 year old, a 5 year old, and all our stuff) we got 45MPG on the way up and 45MPG also on the way back. We averaged 47MPG for the entire 1660 mile trip which I thought was excellent! I typically had 50MPG or better on mini trips while up there like a 150 mile drive to Ottawa. I had one 5 mile drive that I got 63MPG on. That's the best average gas mileage I've had in this car.

Here at home the mileage has been excellent! On my 18.6 mile drive to work, with some stop and go and lots of hills, and sometimes getting behind Amish buggies I get in the high 50s on my way to work and low to mid 50s on my drive home. I had 60MPG three times on my way to work so far and I've hit 58 and 59MPG many times. I've had as high as 56mpg on my drive home but typically get 52-55mpg, still better than I expected!

Anyone looking at a Prius should definitely check out the 2014 Civic Hybrid. Especially with the 2014 base model being so loaded with extra safety features and other nice things. You need to pay a lot more for some of those similar options in a Prius.

My wife and I totally love this car! It's a nice smooth quite ride and we love the look inside and out. The gas mileage has been much better than we expected and all the extras like the cameras, big 7" touch screen, proximity based keys, and safety features are icing on the cake!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Sounds like you hit the sweet spot on your ride!

• chorlacherchorlacher Member Posts: 2

I had my first fill-up after regular driving about a week ago. I had driven 555 miles since the last fill-up and it took 10.8 gallons for 51 mpg! I hit 62mpg driving to work one day this week. Extremely happy with my 2014 Civic Hybrid!

Honda, if you're reading, here are a few things you should fix to make this incredible car a little better.

1. The engine will always start if you shift into park. I can't think of any reason this should happen as it wastes gas unless of course the battery needs to be charged but it does this every time. Please fix this.
    2. I would also like an option to start the car without the engine running. Let the default as is, starting the engine, but give an option in the settings so that it will not actually start the gas engine until you shift out of park and take your foot off the brake.
    3. HDMI input doesn't work correctly with some devices like the Flip HD and the Nikon Coolpix 6500. It works great with my Droid Razr Maxx HD except for the issue in #4.
    4. HDMI input doesn't have correct aspect ratio settings. The settings would be fine if it was a 16:9 aspect ratio display but it's 16:10 so the options need to be changed. Right now there are three, "Normal" which is supposed to be 4:3 and would be on a 16:9 display but is not on this. "Full" which is full screen and is supposed to be 16:9 I guess but it wasn't designed with the fact that the physical display is 16:10 so it's not right. "Zoom" which I think is fairly useless but is for making a 4:3 display fill a 16:9/16:10 display but it cuts off the top and bottom of the image. I think there should be four options. "Normal" for 4:3 like now but corrected for the 16:10 display. "Full" same as now, no change. "16:9" which should be like full but with a small black border at the top and bottom of the display so the image is not distorted, stretched vertically, like it is now with "Full". "Zoom" can stay the same I think.
    5. I would be nice if the trip computer on the 7" audio display would have three tabs, "Current Drive", "Trip A", and "Trip B". Right now it only ever shows "Current Drive" and one of the other two but never both of the other two. Sometimes I prefer that view to using the i-MID and there is plenty of room for a third tab on that screen.