Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage 2007+

Comments

• estoesto Member Posts: 136
    What happens if you shift into neutral when you take your foot off the gas? Do you coast properly? Do the engine revs go to idle properly?
  • cxl1cxl1 Member Posts: 4
    esto....yes to both counts, it coasts fine when put into neutral and the engine revs go to idle...I just thought of something...I do have a Garmin GPS...this allows me to make tracks which record speed and distance travelled. I will take the time this weekend to go out and perform some tests that should provide very positive docs. This should be interesting. The Garmin MapSource program will display the tracks showing speed over each leg as well as position. This should document the differnce between real 'coasting' which happens about half the time and the engine braking that happens the other half.
  • burnieburnie Member Posts: 10
    I bought a 2007 limited & drove beautifully at 45 -50...went on to the highway & foung myself at 60 stuck in the slow lane..Once i get to 70-75 steering vibrates, console between chairs and entire vehicle shimmies...Brought it to dealer...4 days later...Still does it..!! Does anyone know the fix on this? Dealer said "TOW" was out so they aligned & balanced all 4 tires..What a piece of crap...To boot I bought vehicle with a minor bumper scratch, The painter, whom i might add paints in an open parking lot--Painted WRONG COLOR WHITE..Thanks Planet Hyundai,Las Vegas NV :lemon:
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    My Entourage has too much wind noise around the A pillar. Yeah,yeah..it's a minivan- a brick. But come on? at low speeds?? I'm talking about 30-40 mph. A little wind noise at freeway speeds I can understand. But not on residential streets! Then Hyundai sends out these colorful mailers describing what causes wind noise, so i know mine isn't the only doing it.
    Plus, I couldn't start it one night. Apparently the alarm immobilizer was acting up and I couldn't even start my own car, It took 2 weeks to get that fixed. I guess Hyundai parts dept. isn't very well organized, since they sent out the wrong part the first time. But it's a very comfortable van and the mileage gets better when the engine breaks in. :surprise:
  • hongkongguyhongkongguy Member Posts: 1
    While you drive on a smooth highway at 80 Km or more with the radio off - you can hear an irritating wind noise!!! BUT, if you move the windows (power window) down one sixteenth of an inch ( 2 millimeters) the wind noises go away!!! 6 months of trying, the dealer can't fix the problem (broke the window - shatterred). Huyndai refuse to comment!!!
    I contacted the saleman... the sale manager....the service technician...Huyndai Canada... - NO answer at all. :mad:
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Took a nail in the sidewall of the drivers rear tire. Had it patched but it will not hold for long. None of the dealers in New york can get me the tire for less than $170.

My service tech told me to go find it myself and he would mount it for free so I did just that. The Entourage SE has 235/60R17 Michelin Energy LX4 tires. Found one for $131.00 + $12.00 S/H. Not bad. If you need tires try these guys first : http://www.tirerack.com/
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    Wind Noise could be a weather strip misalignment or defect. 06+ Civic owners had virtually the same problem. Some cars had annoying wind noise, others didn't. Eventually tracked down to weather stripping that didn't fit perfectly, but looked okay to the untrained eye. Turns out there was a very, very small gap up front near the mirror which was enough to create the noise. Replacing the weatherstrip was the eventual solution. Probably more details on teh Civic forums, but could be what's plaguing a small population of Entourages and Sedonas.
    My Entourage is going in on Friday for its first check-up. I told them I found the tire I needed so they said bring it in and they will mount it for me. I also said I have a few issues. They told me to make a list:

Lumbar support lever stopped working
    ESC Light comes on saying its OFF but I did not turn it off
    Back door rattles - AGAIN! 3rd time in to be fixed
    A thump or heavy clinking sound on hard bumps can be heard under the van. It seems to be coming from the front.

Man, are they gonna be busy on Friday.
    Will post results on Saturday...Wish me luck.
    7500 mile check-up done $ 98.00
    Lumbar support fixed $ 0.00
    ESC issue resolved - Switch replaced $ 0.00
    Back door issue resolved - additional lubricant $ 0.00
    Clinking sound resolved - Heat sheild bent $ 0.00

In at 7am out by 12pm = PRICELESS

Note: Asked to have the door locks engage at 15mph. Told this is not an available option in the Entourage SE. I had it done on my Santa Fe Limited. Strange. Looked through shop manuals but could not confirm.
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    $98.00 for a $10.00 oil filter and 6 qts of oil? Yes I miss the 15mph door locks is used to have on my old Chrysler minivan, I also wish you could program more than two key fobs, but dealer says no.
  • alakaybeealakaybee Member Posts: 2
    I have a Entourage SE model- brand new. We opted to forgo the DVD entertainment package- the option was too expensive, and a lot of the features, not what we needed. I am thinking of adding an aftermarket DVD player, but want it to look and feel as integrated as possible as far as appearance and function- Any thoughts?
    I test drove a Caravan that had one truly integrated with the sound system and all connected and working together with the DVD controls in the sound system- Very nice- easy to use.
    Read my reply to your post under Audio.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Just noticed your post and it reminded me of one I read several months ago. Their solution was something like this: on taking your foot off the gas, gently "tap" the accelerator pedal momentarily... that does something that releases the "braking". I hope something like this helps a little anyway. That info wasn't related to this site, but some other and I tried it on my Sonata, it seemed to work... although I wasn't really able to remember it all of the time. good luck !

van
    $98 yikes, yes, but did you check out that oil filter? Can you, capecoralbill, get one at your local auto parts store yet? I haven;t been able to in California
    On the "braking" issue; If the tranny hasn't upshifted to the next gear and is still in the previous gear when you let off the gas, that will feel like braking. These new electronic trannys hold the gears more. You know; as if your entering a corner ( in your minivan) and you need the power to come out of it. haha but seriously, take note of what gear your van is in when you notice that braking effect
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I was thinking this was concerning cars that were already in the "next" gear..running along and then foot lifted from the gas to coast to the light or whatever, and the car seemed to "drag" instead of roll easily. That was the application to which I was replying. ;)

van
    Hi, I changed my oil(Castrol 5w30, approx $2.00qt) and filter (I bought 4 at the dealer approx 10.00 each, it includes the orings and oil pan crush washer)at 2500 miles. Those oil filters are EASY to change from ABOVE, rather than below. I hate when dealers charge so much, but at least I have a choice, just document your receipts.
    I'm up to 3months and 3000 miles, I still really like this minivan.
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    We just took one out for test drive a 07 limited and notice lots of wind noise in the A pillar. Also there was rattle come from the one the doors. This was a brand new Entourage with 7 miles on it.
    $10 at the dealer?? that ain't bad...but I still wish they would be available at the local auto parts store. Overall this is a great minivan. Especially for the money. It's just the little things that irk me. Yes, the big important ones Hyundai got right. The wind noise at low speeds still bothers me. I hope they do a recall on the weather stripping. But after receiving that color pamphlet on the "causes of wind noise" from corporate, I doubt a recall is in order soon. Hongkongguy was right about cracking your window by just tapping the button solves most of the low speed wind noise. Of course it's noisier at freeway speeds.
    I've always read you should NOT tow in Overdrive, but rather in the gear below overdrive, something about the tranny getting hot and slipping in OD. My chrysler minivan and Dodge ram trucks both said to tow in 3rd gear (these were both automatic 4 speeds). The Entourage users manual says to tow in Drive (which will put it into OD). Any comments ????????, I still think 4th would be the best choice. By the way, Kia oil filters fit this van too, in case the dealer is closer to your house.
    I'm no transmission professor, but I believe it's 2 things:
    1. The constant upshifting-downshifting generates the heat. Pulling a load from standstill or up a hill is the hardest part of towing. On flat roads, you're already at speed and the load will actually push you which doesn't require downshifting. So leaving it in overdrive is fine on flat roads. Smaller vehicles, like minivans, will downshift-upshift more often when towing. If your transmission is doing this, it's best to leave it in the lower gear.
    2. Physical size. The overdrive gear is actually smaller. Well, actually, the teeth on the gear are "finer" than the other gears. So putting a load on this smaller gear can wear it out. :surprise:
  • wlovettwlovett Member Posts: 17
    I am looking for opinions on the GLS vs SE, especially when it comes to tire size. The GLS comes with 16inch tires while the SE comes with 17inch tires. Is there much difference in the handling and feeling with the 16inch vs 17inch tires?
  • lightingguylightingguy Member Posts: 2
    The 17" platform will offer a slightly rougher ride due to the sidewall height. As far as handling...? I like our 17" because you get an aluminum wheel and it has better appearance.
    The SE also has chrome accents.
    We use the emergency brake every day to keep the weight off the tranny since our driveway has a slight grade. about once a week its sticks just enough to trip the alarm when we pull out of the driveway. I think it just needs an adjustment but it may need a new/stronger release spring. I will mention it at the next service visit and update this post...
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, I've created a new topic for it so that other owners will be able to find it easily. I've moved the posts about this issue there:

Hyundai Steering Vibration Problem

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Looking seriously at replacing our Dodge GC with a Entourage. Still debating Limited vs. SE though. In the brochure it states that with the Limited you get "Electroluminescent Instrumentation". I know that "Electroluminescent" tends to refer to the green/blue hue of the dash lights. What color is the GLS and SE dash in?

Another, more Entourage general question: When you turn the engine off do all of the accessories immediately turn off or is there a delay? Got kinda spoiled with that in the GC.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Limited also gets the power tailgate, FWIW.

It has more stuff than a loaded Sedona EX.

-juice
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    I bought a Sedona EX back at the end of August. The deciding factor was that the Sedona EX with Power & Luxury Packages is around $1200-$1500 cheaper than an Entourage Limited.

The Sedona EX (with Power & Luxury Packages) also comes with backup warning sensors and moonroof, both of which are additional options (i.e. more $$$) on the Entourage Limited.

I set out to buy the Entourage Limited, but after comparing both vehicles, they are exactly the same on the inside (minus electroluminescent gauges), I chose the Sedona because it was a much better deal!

The downside of owning a Sedona is the Kia badging.
    The Luminescent dash is awesome. Is it worth the extra money....no. The dash looks great when coupled with the same accent lights throughout the interior like my Santa Fe Limited. This is not the case in the Entourage. Only the instuments are colored. The rest of the van is that drabby lime green.
    Strange mis-match, in that case.
    Hyundai in the past has always answered customer issues with design and I think the next Entourage will have this fixed. Its kind of silly to mis-match these items IMO. I dont think they will be as quick with it as they were with the Santa Fe since the Entourage is produced in Korea.
    While driving the kids to school I noticed my wifes fogs were not on and asked why she had turned them off. She did not. The switch is set to on but no lights. I tried turning them off then back on but nothing happens. Its off to the shop we go. Will update when I know more...
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    are you sure your high beams weren't on.
    Both fog lamps burned out. Thankfully they were covered under the warranty. I am driving over 25 years and never had two lamps go at the same time. Very strange.
  • mommy03mommy03 Member Posts: 17
    I had a vibration at 70+, but after they rebalanced it for the 2nd time, it seems to have gone away. However, I now seem to have a new problem. At low speeds, pretty much as soon as the car starts moving, it feels rough, enough to be annoying. It smooths out at higher speeds so it seems to be almost the opposite of my other problem. It's just kind of bumpy at lower speeds, which is really strange. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or does anyone else have any idea what this may be?
    I need to raise the rear end of my Hyundai Entourage. I found a kit by Firestone model number 4138 http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/applications/vehiclesearch/kia.shtml- # Has anybody tried this? Thanks
    Not on minivans, but on pickups they work good. You either fill the bags like you would your tires or some kits have a small air compressor where you push a button and it fills the bags. Bill, make sure you are not towing anything exceeding the weight limit of your van. If you're trying to align your hitch with your trailer, try using a higher ball mount. You are playing it safe by trying to keep your van level while towing. Good Luck
    I'm going to try asking this question again because it's really bugging me. Do your Entourages ride smoothly all the time, or are they kind of rough when you first start off? I ask because mine seeems to ride rough, but only for the first few minutes/miles of a trip, not the entire trip. I don't know if this is just how the Entourages are, or if I have a problem. I'd appreciate any input any of you might have. Thanks.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    This happens with tires that flat spot. Not sure what kind the entourage has, but it happens to certain tires. When they sit overnight, particularly in the cold, they flatten out a bit and don't get back in shape until the car moves a half mile or so, and they get round again. This could explain the issue you are having...
  • bigal38bigal38 Member Posts: 7
    My Hundai Entourage has about 14,000 miles. I have never experienced the problem you mention. I have always enjoyed a smooth ride in this vehicle :)
    mrblonde49,

Thank you! That sounds exactly like my problem. But now I'm not sure if the tires are just getting a flat spot overnight because of the type of tires they are, or if my tires in particular have a flat spot from being out of balance (which it was) or from sitting on the dealer lot too long (which it did). Should I take the car back to the dealer, or is he going to tell me that isn't his problem? Thanks again for your input.
    I am having the exact same issue. Dealer has balanced them twice, that has helped but I still feel the vibration. I also feared the tires have a flat spot from sitting the lot too long. I took it to the dealer for the 3rd time today. They wanted me to drive it for 2000 more miles to see if the flat spot comes out. I did not agree, we are in the process of talking to the Regional Hyundai Rep. I would like the tires replaced. I will keep you posted. There is also an entire forum dedicated this issue called Hyundai Entourgae Steering and Vibrations Issues.
    I think I recall back in the 1960's, that certain automatic transmissions when cold or when first shifted into gear, would have a very slight lurching motion(actually lurching is too strong a word, it felt as though the drivetrain was slightly throbing). I too am experiencing this feeling, and I've already had all the tires 17" alloy factory wheels rebalanced and it did remove 98% of the 72-76 mph vibration. I wonder if we'll find out what the problem is, it is so minor that I can overlook it, but wouldn't mind having it corrected as well. Thanks for listening
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    If it's a simple flat spot, it goes away almost immediately. No adverse affects, except bumpy for a minute or 2. I don't know what he means - 2000 miles won't take out a flat spot - it has to be something else
    Are there 2 types of flat spots - one that forms overnight and goes away after warming up, and one that is permanent formed from either imbalance or just a bad tire? Do both tyes go away after the tire warms up? Does your problem go away after the minivan warms up, wlovett?
    In response to Mommy03's question, the vibration does not go away after the van is warmed up. If anything, it gets worse as the van warms up.

My dealer spoke with the Hyundai Regional rep today. Hyundai wants to send a regional technician to look over the van. Though they have not indicated how long it will take to get someone to my dealer. They want to look at the suspension and make sure nothing was overlooked by the dealer. If they can't find anything, Hyundai is saying the issue is with the tires and I will need to work with the tire manufacturer. The saga continues......
    BOTH of you should work with the tire manufacturer (Michelin?). Hyundai buys tires for their vehicles from tire manufacturers at bulk rates. You, the consumer, essentially pays more for the tires than Hyundai bought them for in the purchase price of the vehicle. Wlovett, don't let the Rep put this responsibility solely on you. Tell them you would work together to get this issue resolved. Yes, tire warranties are generally resolved with the tire manufacturer, but this sounds like a dealer and a tire mfg. problem. Plus, Michelin would listen to a big Car company than just one consumer. Good Luck
    Latest Update. My dealer decided to put tires from another Entourage onto mine. I was very grateful for them trying this since Hyundai has been slow to respond to the issue. My dealer used tires from an Entourage that was delivered just last week. I have an Entourage GLS, so mine came with the 16" Hankook's. The odd thing was my dealer received at least 3 GLS's last week, each came with 16" Kumho tires, not Hankook's.

So the dealer replaced my Hankook's with the Kumho's. Unfortuantly this did not help. The vibration is still there, especially at 75mph. By having the same issue with the Hankook's and Kumho's I am wondering if the issue is not with the tires but something else.

So now we are back talking with the Regional Hyundai Representative......
    I installed "Air Lift" brand Leveling Kit fits: 2005 Honda Odyssey Part: #60740, they don't show Hyundai in the application, but they do show Kia sedona 2006 as an application. They cost about $80.00 including freight, I installed them my self. I had to remove the rear coil springs to drill a 1-1/4" hole, it took about 3 hours each side of the van.
    That's not it. The post right after yours proves it. Vibrations were there with the original Hankooks and with replacement Kumhos as well. And the Michelins.

It's not the tires.

It's gotta be the suspension tuning, alignment, something in the vehicle itself.