Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• I just turned 6000 miles on my '02 Quad Cab and I'm trying to decide if I should start using synthetic oil. I have the 4.7L, 3:55 locking, 4WD, and the tow package. My towing is light, ~2000 lbs, but I'm trying to find info on the long term benefits of synthetic fluids. I will change my own oil if I go to syn and probably increase the duration to 5000 miles. Is this the right direction? Your comments will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  • brnzbk...............I also have an 02 QuadCab 4.7, 3:55 but with 2WD. I waited to switch to Mobil 1 until 9200 miles (now have 9750 mi). I did this since our engines take a while to break in and I didn't want any low friction oil interfering with rings seating etc.. I tow as well and under "severe" conditions is where the synthetic really shines since it is supposedly good (and clean) to 400 degrees. I have never used Mobil 1 before but have many friends who swear by it, especially over the long haul. Hope they're right since it is twice the cost. Regarding intervals I'll go by my 3,500 mile rule as a "general" but will check color on the dipstick to see how well this oil stays clean. Perhaps I can get 5,000 miles between changes but I'm new to this as well and will keep a close eye on the color. By the way I think a bonus from using this stuff is that your gas mileage may increase slightly. Hope this helps.
  • My ABS and Brake Lights in my dash came on while driving. I drove another 200 miles or so to get home and didnt notice any problems. My truck is a 1999 Dodge diesel 2500 with towing pkg. I was towing a 28ft 5th wheel at the time.
    FG
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Kind of whimsical, but Ive been wondering about this for awhile and I saw another Ram that remidned me of it today. Why on god's earth would a manufacturer create a bug, bulging, big-rig-inspired,testosterone oozing macho-mobile like the Ram and then offer it in pink?>
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Well, I don't see pink listed in the Dodge truck brochure.

Anyway, ugly or not RAM sales in the month of August 2002 were 44% above the same month in 2001, while Ford was up 4.7% and GM was up 6.8%.

RAM is up 13.7% YTD, while Ford is down 4% and GM is down 1.7%.

Dusty
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Am I the only one here that's driven one of the new 1-tons? Awesome is the only word. They had a couple 3/4 tons with 5.7L Hemi's as well but I was in a bit of a hurry. Might go back to drive one this weekend. I think I'm going to wait until spring to replace my current diesel.

BTW, someone was mentioning high mileage rams a few posts back. My uncle went looking for a cheaper pickup just to use for local hauling and came across a '97 2wd Reg. Cab 5.9L with 295,000 miles. It has all the papers and the guy was very maticulous about maintenance and taking care of the truck. It honestly looks new except for some stone chips here and there. He had the following repairs: starter 155K, water-pump 190K, fuel pump 210K, rebuilt tranny 250K. The guy bought an identical truck, but an '02 model. My uncle decided to buy the truck because it was so nice even though he was shopping for a beater. I also checked out a '98 1-ton cummins box truck with 580K miles. Cummins was rebuilt at 400K but that was the only thing listed on the auction sticker. Looked like it had 580K miles but really wasn't too bad. I thought about buying it to haul hay, but it was too hot and the auction was going way to slow:)
    Two fellows from work who have decided to buy the Dodge RAM told me yesterday that they've yet to see a 2003 around here (Rochester, NY). In fact, RAM selection has been less than good since May. My local dealer had a lot of Quads in the begining, but by April they were about half-and-half Quads and conventional cabs. Now Quad inventory is way, way down and its been that way for awhile.

Dusty
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    dealeship where in live (south dakota) has been getting a slow-steady stream of '03 quad cabs in...but so far the heavies have only been equipped with the cummins. he also only has a few '02s left. there has definitely been an
    upswing in ram sales in the past month or so based just on his inventory...
    I have seen several pink Rams, no lie. Not the 2002 or later model but the earlier 93-2001 model. In fact one had 'It's raining men' blaring from the radio.
    .....was spotted at Marina Dodge in Webster, New York today. This was a white 2500 4x4 Quad with the diesel engine and an eight-foot box.

Gee, that thing was long!

Dusty
  • There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion with the available/future engines in the Dodge Ram. Here's a brief overview. The last generation of Rams were available with the last generation of Chrysler Magnum engines, namely the 3.9L V6 (175HP), 5.2L V8 (230HP)(318Ci), 5.9L V8 (245HP) (360Ci), 8.0L V10 (488Ci). ALL of these motors are completely OUTDATED, overpolluting, and underpowered relative to the competition. They are slowly being phased out and replaced by the new generation of Magnum and Magnum-HEMI motors. In their places are the 3.7L V6 (210HP), 4.7L V8 (235HP), 4.7L HO V8 (265HP), 5.7L V8 (345HP). As of right now, the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8 are history, the 5.9L is still available in the Ram 1500 through the first quarter of 2003. The 5.7L HEMI will debut in the Ram 1500 OffRoad edition in January and will be phased into the rest of the lineup as the 5.9L is phased out. The 4.7L HO will not be available in the Rams for at least another year. The 5.7L will also be the base motor in the 2500/3500HD models along with the 5.9L Cummins/Cummins HO Diesels and the carryover 8.0L V10. As for the V10 there are three possible scenarios, 1) they keep it as is and slowly phase it out; 2) they upgrade to the new 8.3L version as found in the 2003 Viper; 3) they drop it and replace it with the rumoured (and much more powerful) 6.1L HEMI (based on the 5.7L design).

This new generation of motors will have a number of versions as they will show up in the next generation of LH models codenamed LX (ie: 300M, Intrepid, Concorde - renamed the New Yorker). These cars will be available with the 3.5L V6, 4.7L V8 and in some instances the 5.7L HEMI (ie: the new 300M). These cars will be rear drive and will have some Mercedes parts incl. transmissions, stability aids, electronics...

As an aside: the old generation of Magnum engines (3.9L/5.2L/5.9L) will still be offered on the Dodge Ram Vans and Wagons until the vehicles are eliminated sometime next year; the old 3.9L V6 and 5.9L V8 will still be offered on the Dakota until it's redesign in a year or so.
    Although not specific to the RAM, or Dodge for that matter, the link below will take you to a chart that lists the chang over dates for the various North American assembly plants.

http://www.autonews.com/files/prodchangeover.pdf

Dusty

• KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    I think you may mean a "rich purple", not pink. Rams were offered in Amethyst a couple of years ago. If the sun hits them just right, they might look pink or lavender.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Though that color must kill a half ton pickup at trade in time.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    actually, the amethyst was a great colour...and it never once looked pink to me no matter if i saw it on a 300m or ram...
    Okay. I think I know the color now. I don't remember ever seeing this color on a RAM, but there are a couple of Dakota's around here in that color. They're both owned by ladies.

From a product marketing standpoint, it probably doesn't hurt to increase the market appeal to women since they do buy a fair amount of automobiles, including trucks. Actually, I know two other ladies that have commented positively on that color. And now that I think about it, of the women that I know or know of that own trucks, half (6) are driving Dakotas!

Dusty
  • I OWN A 2500 RAM WITH QUAD CAB 8FT BED AUTO TRANS 360 ENGINE AND 410 GEARS. IT HAS 800 MILES. SINCE DAY ONE IT MADE A VIBRATING NOISE AND THE FLOOR EVEN VIBRATES FROM 60 MPH ON UP. THE SVC MGR AT THE DEALER SAID THIS IS NORMAL FOR A 2500. HE ALSO SAID IF I HAD 355 GEARS IT WOULD NOT START DOING IT UNTIL 70 MPH. HE CALLED IT A DRONE NOISE. I CANNOT FIND ANY 2500 OWNERS WITH THE SAME TRUCK FROM A DIFFERENT YEAR WITH THIS PROBLEM. BY THE WAY MY TRUCK IS A 2002. PERSONALLY, I THINK IT IS COMING FROM THE DRIVE SHAFT. I GUESS I AM GOING TO HAVE TO CALL DODGE DIRECT. I AM OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO JUST LIVE WITH THIS. IF ANYONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT IS CAUSING THIS DRONE OR WHO TO CALL TO GET DODGE TO FIX THIS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKS.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    have you tried rotating the tires. Possibly a bad tire right from the start. I bought a Tacoma once that had 3 out of 4 brand new tires that were bad. They wobbled on the machine if you watched it, but they would balance fine otherwise. But it's more likely only one tire so rotating might help you figure out which one it is. If your truck came with the Goodyear RT/S it's very likely a tire problem, as I've not had much luck with those on any vehicle (that was what was on the Tacoma).
    ............I could make on a 2003 RAM Quad 2WD?

The total factory invoice price is $28,985.

This would be a cash deal, no trade.

Thanks in advance,
    Dusty
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Dusty, shoot for a few hundred over. Dodge is increasing production on Rams for 2003, and they'll want to keep product moving.

kcram

Host

Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

This discussion has been closed.