Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    dusty,

if you have enough time to order a truck...do that. i've gotten several vehicles for very near invoice or even below when ordering. if you go armed with invoice pricing, etc...they usually don't balk to much.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    KC & Emale,

It looks like prices of 2003 RAMs went up. I went to the Dodge website last night and I think they are about $400 higher than last year, by quick look.

Yes, Dodge is raising RAM production by about 85,000 units this year from what I read with 2003 production capability of around 480,000 total. Whether this will equate to lower prices may have to be seen. Dodge sales in the northeast have been quite good in 2002, and I heard that Dodge RAM is #2 in Maine.

My perception of ordering a vehicle has always been that you'll pay more than taking dealer stock. After all, when you order a vehicle it's above their yearly buying plan and its a unit that's already sold. I would think there'd be less motivation to deal. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Appreciate the ideas, thanks.

Dusty
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    My experience is - it depends

If dealer has 5 of something that have been on the lot for a while - and its the end of the month - you can get a great deal -

But

I have ordered a truck and paid less than invoice. Some dealers see this as easy money - they do not tie up any capital / no bank loan to pay interest on.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Many dealers use their hold-back for floor-planning. If a unit is ordered, there is minimal cost involved in getting that unit out the door so the hold-back becomes much more actual profit. But if they have several similar units that have been sitting around, you can bet they would rather move one of them and be done with it. Plus salemen themselves are usually more anxious to sell what they have because they get the commission now. I've been to some big city dealers and the salesmen don't want anything to do with ordering, because there's a good chanced they won't be there next week, let alone 8 weeks out when the vehicle arrives.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Dusty.. Seems to me you've gotten some solid advice here. I was out driving/pricing new Rams over the past several weeks. While I turned down a very good deal on a 4WD Quad Cab SLT (2002 leftover) in late August because of impending back surgery; I'm looking again. While I'm attracted to a 4WD Quad Cab, I can't deny the price and content benefit of going with a 2WD. I'm in eastern PA, and while we do get snow--it hasn't been as heavy or longlasting as when I was younger.
    I just drove a very modestly equipped 2WD Regular Cab ST (4.7, 5sp Auto, Anti-spin Dif, Cloth seats, Convenience group, etc.). It was a nice "work" truck that wouldn't have killed me as a daily driver. The good news is that it stickered for 21295.00 and I could have taken it off the lot for 19000.00 and low interest financing or about 18000.00 and my own financing or cash. Any price in the vicinity of 2200-2800 below MSRP is reasonable for a 2003.
    If you do order--or attempt too--be certain to spec it on-line at the Dodge site and print the results--also take the MSN Carpoint and Kelly Blue Book printouts which compare MSRP and invoice. That should encourage them to be truthful.. Thoughts from the gang?
  • langorinlangorin Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for ways to boost performance on my ram. I found a cool air intake made by Volant for 2002 rams with 4.7L block, but I cannot find any information on it. Also found a jet chip but can't find anyone who used one.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I would give this a try. I haven't bought one yet, but am soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854643380&rd=1

You can email the guy directly if your interested

I just scanned the link. This item can't be a "homespun" unit--I'd think it's a kit commercially available--but I don't see any identifying information. Anyone find the manufacturer supplier??? Sound off!
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    My son just bought a 2002 quad SB 2500 with the 5.9 engine. he says he gets a mild vibration/drone at about 61 MPH. Service looked it over, test drove it, etc. They increased the tire pressure which was low, but my son says the drone is still there. As the previous poster mentioned, my son can also feel the vibration in the floor.
    I haven't seen these anywhere else, except on eBay for sale by that guy.

I work (play) all day on the net, and search all the time, I haven't found it anywhere else.

I think he made it himself, I am pretty sure its a homemade item.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I believe that a drone type vibration can be caused by an out of balance drive shaft. I would check the drive shaft first because it sounds like drivetrain noise, then check the tires. A bad tire can raise havoc with handling, noise vibrations, etc... Tire faults are usually not visable so a lot of people dismiss them. Good Luck.
    and if it has those Goodyear RT/S crap that everybody loves to put on new vehicles that'd be the first place I'd look. I've had them on several new vehicles and didn't like any of them. The set that came on my Jeep were constantly out of balance. Alway had a vibration/drone and when towing a trailer it would bounce you all over the place. Rotate, balance, etc nothing helped except for a new set of Michelins.
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    The Ram 2500 has Michelin tires as standard equipment, at least on the vehicle my son just purchased.
    My diesel came with the LTX M/S as well and they were pretty good. I missed the 3/4 ton part, I think they only put the Goodyears on the 1/2 tons.

Could be quite a few things I suppose, but wheels/tires and driveshafts are a good start. Could also be in the exhaust but that will be fun to diagnose. I'm waiting until spring for my new 1-ton, hopefully any bugs will be worked out. It sounds like he might want to try a dealer with a bit more diagnosing skills. Good luck!
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    I am looking at a '98 2500 quad cab short bed with V10. It says Viper on the side. What does this mean, what are the changes with this model? I am looking at this one, with 60K miles for around $14K (did some 5th wheel towing), or a '99 2500 quad with 5.9 V8 and 98K miles for $13K. Any other advice welcome. Thanks.
    Monty
  • alisonvalisonv Member Posts: 2
    The "truck guy" at the horse trailer sales business told me to be sure that I get the heavy duty factory installed tow package in my new truck, because it is better in several ways than dealer installed. The Dodge salesperson assured me that they do "the same thing" as the factory and there is no difference. I am inclined to believe the horse trailer guy! Is there a difference between factory installed vs dealer installed tow packages? (I am looking at the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab.)
    Well, the factory package comes with a hitch, auxiliary tranny cooler, heavy-duty engine cooling, wiring, and a 700 amp battery for $465. Somehow I doubt they are going to do all that for you and beat the price. All is fairly easy to do except for the engine cooling. I'm guessing it probably has a higher capacity radiator and probably a bigger or extra cooling fan.

I always buy the factory package as it is usually a pretty good deal, nevermind someone isn't tearing your new vehicle apart right off the bat.

Another thing is mirrors. I don't know how big of a trailer your towing, but the power folding trailer mirrors are the best in the business. I wouldn't tow anything over 15'-20' without them.
  • alisonvalisonv Member Posts: 2
    Sebring95,

Thanks for the info on the tow package. I am considering whether to go with the 2001 Ram QCab or the 2002. I read that the 2002 was a complete redesign. If I went 2002, I would try to go used on that as well. What is your opinion on the difference between the 2 model years? Is the 2002 world's better? Of course I want the best value to cost ratio! The problem seems to be locating one with a factory tow package. I would be towing a 2 horse bumper pull trailer, weighing maybe 4,000 lbs. total, maybe once a month, otherwise it would be a commuter vehicle and weekend light hauling. I have 3 kids under age 8 that have to fit in the back but it is not the primary kid-vehicle, we have a minivan for that. Any input would be appreciated.
    I would go with the 2002. I have a 2002 and I LOVE IT !!!!!! Very nice truck, I tested the Tundra, & Sierra also, but went with the Ram, I couldn't resist the new look.

I have the tow package, although I just got it because it was on the truck I wanted, I will probably never even tow anything with my truck to be honest with you.

You can see my truck here: http://www.investmentforum.net/ram.html

I have a 2001 diesel, but will be getting a 2003 diesel in the spring. The rear is much roomier in the newer body style. They also have much more comfortable seats. When shopping for my '01 I found the Dodge seats to be very comfortable, but I still could use some more room. The '02+ design is very comfortable and has extra leg room. I think the new engines are better too, and a 4.7L V8 should be fine for just 4000#. I've used my in-laws grand cherokee with the 4.7L to tow about that and it did fine.
  • dud283dud283 Member Posts: 1
    The new 2003 Quad Cab Lone Star 1500 Dodge Ram is advertised with 20" cast aluminum chrome wheels. They look like Dodge has chrome plated the 2002 wheels when in fact they have added a chrome plated hub cap made of plastic. I feel that Dodge has deceived the buying public.
    well, had my s-crew in for an oil/lube/filter today, and while waiting for it decided to stroll over to the dodge lot which is close by. they had a regular cab 2500 hemi 4x4 sitting there begging for a test drive. so i'm sure you know what i did next...!

the hemi is decidely better than the old 360. the new 348 cube starts right up and idles smoothly. something the 360 never did! the electronic throttle felt kinda odd at first. almost like the reaction to my foot was slow. but i must say it was very smooth feeling. the 5-45rfe automatic is light years better than the old 46re. it shifts up and down very smoothly (lots o torque management going on i presume). in fact it might be too smooth as it really doesn't make the engine feel all that athletic. but a look at the speedo does indeed show the truck gaining speed rather quickly. the only flaw in the engine/tranny combo is slow reaction to WOT while cruising at highway speeds. took a few clicks before the tranny would downshift after putting the pedal to the floor.

the exhaust had a nice sound to it, but makes me wonder if it would get tiresome after a while since it did infiltrate the cabin to some degree. the engine sounded exactly like a decent ohv unit, which is to say it doesn't sound as silken as an ohc engine in the upper rev ranges. but that really doesn' t matter to truck folks.

as far as interior quiet...this is the second new ram i've driven in the last year. and to my ears they are not any quieter than my s-crew. acceptable but not really all that quiet.

anyhoo, overall it is a decent truck but i'm still not persuaded enough to come back to dodge. hopefully a larger crew cab will come along and then i might change my mind...
    I was looking at the new 2003 4Runners today, as I was interested in what they looked like, and was considering purchasing one.

The 4Runner is a mid size SUV, but the backseat in the new generation is supposedly bigger than the old.

But, to my surprise the back seat of my 2002 Dodge Quad Cab, beats the back seat of the 4Runner in shoulder room, head room, hip room, and leg room. I expected my Quad Cab to beat it in shoulder and hip room, but not leg room also. I was paying attention to these stats because I have to fit car seats in the back.

Just interesting to me, as I know some individuals, and some reviews, have stated that the back seat is too small, but it beats mid size SUV's.
    I thought the back seat was a nice size in the Quad. I stuck a carseat back there and it had enough room (rear-facing unit). None of the mid-sizers really impress me. The Galant back seat was seriously crowded with a car seat and my Cherokee just barely handles a car seat. The Tahoe is champs though. I can put the driver seat all the way back and there is still plenty of room between the front seat and the car seat. Plus two adults fit with plenty of room on each side of the car seat. I don't know how people can manage with small cars as you can't put the front seats back far enough if you have a car seat in the back. I suppose if you're short and don't travel much. A car seat will fit OK in the back of our '01 Ram. It sticks up between the front seat, but there's enough width it doesn't really get in the way. Just a pain to get in and out of with the rear-swinging doors, and the new body fixes that.
    I agree with you. The 02 and up Ram backseat has plenty of room. I have 3 carseats in the back of mine, and they fit alot better than they do in our car.
    well, the quad's rear seat is fine for car seats and kids...but not for adults for any length of time. when i was at the dealership the other day...i also again sat in the back of a quad that was in the showroom. still doesn't feel comfy to me!!
    from this thread until you repent and return to Dodge! Sorry buddy...had to get that in. Great minds.. I was at a local Dodge/Kia dealer--decided to take a new 4WD Sorento for a spin (very nice actually). I wandered over to a new 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 with the Hemi and 5 speed auto. The salesman tossed me the keys and said "take it for a spin". Like you I was impressed with the power. It didn't feel as "awe inspiring" as I had hoped but when I looked down I was clipping along at 80mph.. I was very pleased with the handling and steering. The ride, though very good for a 2500, did give up some quality to the 1500. All in all very impressive!
    hey jason, just try to ban me!!!

anyhoo, yeah i was a bit underwhelmed with a seeming lack of urgency when you press on the gas in the new hemi. but the speedo does show you gaining speed rather quickly. i think the 5-45rfe shifts almost flawlessly except for WOT while cruising. the tranny maybe too smooth for its own good and thus making the truck feel a bit lethargic because of slightly slurred shifting. anyhoo, not bad and the tranny i believe has learn as you drive software and thus prolly would tighten up the shifting if you have a heavy foot...

when the hemi debuts in the half ton quad early next your i'll prolly go back for another test run...and who knows what might happen :)
    The 545RFE does have a Learn Mode as pointed out to me by my truck saleman. I've already noticed the difference in shift pattern at 336 miles on my new Dakota.

One of our engineers at work just purchased a new RAM and was telling me how the transmission shift pattern can be "relearned" if one elects to change driving habits. Our Avalon has a transmission mode switch on the instrument panel that allows the driver to select performance mode. This basically changes shift points and downshift sensitivity. We almost never use it, but this last vacation in the Adirondacks it did prove useful in the mountains.

I would think that this might be something that would interest truck owners even more.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Transmission on your Avalon is the same set up as the Tow Haul mode feature that GM has on its trucks and SUVs. I had the same feature on a 1990 Toyota Cressida.
    hey you guys with the 20 inch wheels...what kinda rpms are you running at say 75 mph on the interstate? thanks...
    I have the 20 inch wheels on 275/60/R20 Goodyear Wrangler HP's. 3.92 gear ratio, 4.7L V8. I am not sure what the exact answer is, as I really haven't paid that much attention.

But I am headed to the grocery store in a few minutes, when I get back I'll post what my RPM's are at 75mph.
    Well I went to the grocery store today, and at 75mph the rpm is about 2225, 2250, right in that area.
    thanks for the info, jkulp. just comparing to my s-crew to see if they are in the same ballpark. when the hemi hits the 1/2 ton i'm gonna have to test drive the ram again...:)
    for all you ram lovers; here is a recent review...looks like the reviewer was smitten!!

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5415&sid=181&n=157

and I'm wondering about the diesel being louder than the powerstroke, but quieter than the duramax. My experience is the duramax was quieter than the powerstroke, so I'm not sure how he's coming up with that conclusion. The new cummins I drove was quieter than the powerstroke and very close if not quieter than the duramax.
    he was talking about the "new" powerstroke which ford will be putting in their trucks next year...
    didn't know they were even close to being on the streets yet. Before long the diesels will be quieter than the gassers. On one hand I really like the noise to my '01 cummins. A little tailgating goes a long way when you're rattling their teeth:)
  • sailboatsailboat Member Posts: 21
    Had my 02 Quad Cab for about 5 months now. Pretty nice truck, but I've noticed the following things. First, there seems to be a jolt when shifting the auto transmission like the engine is at high idle...but its not. The truck also shakes and bounces like crazy over bumps. The Chevys we have at work don't bounce nearly as much over the same roads. Is this just how the truck is? I read some posts bragging about the ride. I know its relative, but comparitively speaking, the suspension on this truck seems a little suspect.
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    ....well, so do guys that steal newer trucks for a living. Just had occasion to speak at length will a local peace officer. After he quit writing, he asked how I liked my '02 quad cab. I told him I was happy with it and had no problems so far in 40K miles of hard use. He then told me of a rash of quads being stolen locally (I'm located west of Houston, TX). Apparently the right sized screw driver inserted where the ignition key belongs will start these trucks with little effort. When the truck napper starts the truck in this manner, it must also disable the alarm. The trucks that have been recovered have been completely stripped. OUCH. You guys that have these might want to take a few extra precautions.
    yeah,

but don't the quads with alarms also have the ignition keys with chips in them? how do they disable this aspect of theft control?
    Ram owners that have the 4.7 and the 5 speed auto for 2003....what are you seeing for gas mileage? Hey emale....
    Looking to sell my Bedliner in my truck.

I have had the truck approx 3 months, and haven't hauled anything in the back, so the liner is basically brand new.

I will deliver anywhere in Missouri.

This fits the 2002 - 2003 Dodge Rams with the 6 foot 3 inch bed.

This sells for $250.00 at Mopar.com and through Dodge dealers.

My price: $140.00
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    Are you getting a sprayin liner or going naked?
    I'm going with a BedRug, and a Pace Edwards Trac Top hard cover.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    We are thinking of buying a quad ram 1500 but I was wanting to know if anyone had any info. I'm looking to put a bed liner in it but also want the hard cover to on it does anyone have any idea if you can get both of these things on it and if so about what is the cost? Also I was wondering is the ram quad about the roomiest p/u on the market for the cabin? I can get a new ram quAd 1500 slt 03 with v8 auto pw/pl/pseat tilt/cruise/ cd player fog lammps keyless entry hood shield center seat storage for $22400 I think that is a pretty good price would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    $22400 for that truck is a darn good price. the sticker must be around $26K, I imagine.

Mopar does have a under rail bedliner and a tonneau setup. I saw one a few weeks ago, but I can't remember exactly how it worked. I think a "J" bracket mounted under the box lip and those suspended a rail just off the bed rail surface, then the cover attached to the rail. Whatever the configuration the hardware looked top notch quality to me.

Dusty
  • chrobertschroberts Member Posts: 3
    I'm about to buy a new 03 Quadcab 4x4. I notice that one "sticker" has a free 5.9 upgrade. They also have different transmissions a 4-sp on the 5.9 vs. the 4.7 having a 5-sp. I know that the 5.9 is an "older" design. Any opinions on this? Is this something I shouldn't even take for free? Also the 5.9 has a limited slip axle and a tow package....is this worth the expense. Thanks for any input, I'm new to this forum.
    Agree with a lot of the above. I wouldn't buy the 5.9 unless you intend to tow. Considering you're not buying the tow package on the 4.7L, I assume you're not towing. The 4.7L is adequate for a 1/2 ton, although it feels a bit stressed in a quad cab 4X4 IMHO. Good motor though with so far a excellent record. The 5.9L has been around forever and is rock solid. My uncle has a '96 with over 290K miles on it with no engine repairs. It's very thirsty, but can pull a lot of weight.
    I've helped a couple of friends look at used trucks over the last several years, and its amazing how many RAMs I've seen that had over 150,000 miles on them. And the bodies were almost always near rust free.

We just looked at a 1996 Laramie extended cab 4x4 with a 360 that had 178,000 miles. Didn't burn any oil and the motor was still solid.

I work with a fellow that has a '94 360 with 230,000 on it and he says it still doesn't use any oil. Of course, I've seen 318s the same way.

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.