Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• herdingdogherdingdog Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen side window deflectors available for a 2006 forester? I have been unable to locate any.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    If you're in the U.S., it's going to cost you as your options are basically limited to having them shipped from the UK, OR having them shipped from AUS.

http://www.cheammotors.co.uk/products.php?productId=387
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    I had somewhat similar issues on a test drive. When we returned to the dealer, there was smoke coming from under the hood and the unmistakeable (sp?) smell of burning oil. Car ran fine during the test and wasn't smoking from the exhaust pipe. Probably just a loose fitting or some excess oil was spilled on the manifold. Salesman was understandibly embarrased.

Had some funny sounds, but they were from the cargo area and stuff rattling around.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Fuel it up, air down the tires (they ship rock-hard to prevent flat-spotting), probably other stuff, I'm sure.

-juice
  • fxterfxter Member Posts: 17
    Greetings to Everyone,

I am new to the forum here. Got to learn a lot about forester in the last one month from this forum and the subaruforester.org. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

I have pretty much decided to get 2006 X with Premium Pkg.

Is there a chance that Subaru might give $2000 on X with Premium Pkg. ;) ?

I would like to hear from the experienced folks in the forum here. In the past, does subaru give better pricing towards the end of the year? Or whatever they offer now is pretty much what I can expect for the rest of the year?

TIA,
    fxter.
    San Jose, CA
    I've been following the pricing patterns for 9 years now, and my educated guess is no.

And believe me, I care, that's exactly the model I want, and exactly the discount that might be enough of a kick in the pants for me to trade in my '98.

Right now the X is such a screaming deal, the Premium package is just too expensive. The street price jumps up from $19k to almost $22k.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    What?!?! Our resident fence sitter can't seriously be thinking about falling off! I hope Sandy doesn't find out :P

-Frank
    To be honest the timing is not ideal. I have to pay for 5 tickets to Brazil, since we're going in December. That's about $6 grand ... ouch!

I could sell the '93 Miata and the '98 Forester and get a Limited, since the moonroof is virtually a convertible, but I'm not sure I want to go back to having only one car. The 2nd one comes in handy once in a while.

-juice
  • fxterfxter Member Posts: 17
    I know what you mean...
    Ever since, I got my car totalled(99 Accord) in april, I have been spending about an hour or two every day, on the web reading about foresters! I had high hopes, that 2006-models' price would fall, once the 2007 models are released for sale!!

If the rebate is going to be same i.e. $2000 on X, and $1000 on other models... why do they make these rebates valid until a certain date!! Only to re-instate again a few days after that period is over :confuse: !

-fxter
    They keep us guessing! :mad:

-juice
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    quote: "why do they make these rebates valid until a certain date!! Only to re-instate again a few days after that period is over?"
    To make you think you have to buy now and better not wait until next month. It's marketing 101. :)
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I have a 2006 Forester X, and after driving it, it still has a slight burning smell -- it has 1500 miles or so on it. When I first got it, it had a burning smell almost like a skunk smell. Sometimes it smells a little like radiator/anti-freeze. Mine has squeaks, too -- but they are in the dash where the clear plastic covers the gauges.

This is my first Forester, and I am only somewhat happy with it. I've primarily had Jeeps, and I can't wait to go back to one. Unfortunately, that will probably be a while since I've had the Forester only for two months.

Anyone ever been in this situation where you buy a car and don't really, really like it? Any way to sell it or trade it without being upside down in the next vehicle?? I guess I should just be happy that I have a car and stop whining. . . :)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The thing with Foresters, and most Subarus for that matter, is that they are good, solid, dependable cars. However, they usually come with a full assortment of annoyances. Most people learn to live with them, but some get rid of them shortly after purchase.
    If you get rid of it right after the purchase, you'll be taking a huge hit on depreciation, so you need to weigh this carefully.
  • richyoungrichyoung Member Posts: 31
    OK, I am not your typical Subie owner (ok, that is a bit of an oxymoron, but let's move on!)...I am wondering if it would be wise (and doable) to remove the roof rack from my 06 Forester X. I do not use the rack for anything. So, should I be happy and leave well enough alone, or should I see what happens? Thanks.
    Rich
  • bayview6bayview6 Member Posts: 141
    Rich, are you talking about roof rails or the 2 cross-bars that go across the roof. The cross-bars are definitely removable (see owners' manual) and I took mine off the day after I bought the vehicle.

The roof rails are not removable.
    Thanks for that info - just may do that. I am hearing that these can impact MPG....that true? Or am I being too OCD about this?
    You may notice a 1-2 mpg improvement after removing the crossbars, as well as a somewhat quieter ride.

I believe There is a way to remove the actual roof rails that the crossbars rest on, but they are screwed into the roof so you would be left with a few exposed holes up there.

Doug
    hmm...what if I removed...there a way to nicely plug holes? warranty issues? this is getting interesting, verrry interesting!
    Yesterday I noticed that the one-touch open feature wasn't working when I hit the button for the moonroof; as soon as I lifted my finger from the button it would stop. Then when I held it down continuously, it would only open about 6 inches at a time before I would have lift my finger and depress the button again.

AFAIK, the mechanism hasn't been exposed to any water or anything like that, but the last time it worked normally it made a strange, slightly grinding sound when I closed it.

Is this a known issue? The car is still under warranty so having Subaru fix it shouldn't be a problem, but if there is an easy, known fix I'd rather avoid the hassle of the dealership.

Doug
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    I've noticed my moonroof not opening/closing all the way sometimes. It might be my imagination but it seems like a full press of the button opens/closes it all the way and a half press inches it. I haven't really experimented much to figure it out. I'm usually driving when I open it and don't want to be distracted.
    Warranty issues? You bet! The bottom line is that there is no reason to remove the roof rails. Next you will be taking off the rear bumper. ;)
    OK - Maybe just leave things as they are....thanks for the insights!
  • fixinitdownfixinitdown Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Subaru Forester on Friday (2 days ago), first time Subaru owner. I started the car Saturday night, the cruise control started blinking and the check engine light came on. The manual says to take it to the dealer to be checked out.

I'd like to return this car and am not sure I'll even want them to switch it out for another one. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know the policy of returning a car the next business day after you bought it?
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    Sorry to hear about your car. I do not know the laws where you are located, but I tried to find out the same info right after I bought my Forester back in April. I didn't have much luck in Ohio.

The day after I bought my Forester, the check engine light wasn't on, but I found a couple small crackled spots on the paint from egg damage caused by it sitting on their lot underneath trees. I wanted to return it, but everything I read here basically said that when you buy a car you are stuck with it (don't know if this totally true in Ohio because I looked on the internet and didn't talk to a lawyer). The dealer did agree to fix it, but it took them two weeks. They did provide a loaner car.

I am nervous about washing it because the paint scratches so easily. Anyone have any recommendations on what cloths and what soaps to use when you wash Subarus? My Forester is Garnet/San Remo Red.

I could never imagine taking it through a car wash for fear it would totally ruin it. I ususally wash my own cars by hand anyway.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Here at Edmunds.com, the most frequently asked question we get is this panicked email: "Can I take my car back!?" The answer I've been giving is, basically, that's up to the dealer."

Victory for Car Buyers(Straightline Blog)

Steve, Host
    The blinking light has to do with the smog control system. The same thing happened to me at about 5000 miles. The dealer replaced a sensor and that solved the problem.

As to your interest in returning your new Forester, it's a common psychological occurrance referred to as buyer's remorse. Review all the positive reasons why you bought in the first place. Identify all your concerns of perceived shortcomings and then try to see if you can correct those problem areas. No car is perfect.

I'm a first-time Subaru (Forester) owner and at 7000 miles am very happy with my purchase. My biggest complain is that damn seat-belt reminder chime.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Anything can go wrong with a car. Although it's unsettling to have an electronic issue off the bat, for the most part Foresters are bullet-proof. Take it to the dealer, get it fixed and then go on.

Reading between the lines in your post you do not have buyers remorse. You have buyers panic. Buyers remorse is when you wish you would have bought more, bigger, better, etc. Bigger HD tv, faster computer, larger house, etc. Buyers panic is when you worry if you have a lemon, or your expensive HD tv goes on the fritz after it was just installed, or you move into a house and you immediately have a flood in the basement.

Good luck with your Forester, and let us know how it goes.

(FWIW - I've had one warranty issue in a year and that was with the seat thingy in the back the pulls up to fold down the rear seat.)
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I don't know if this link has been posted here before, but it's just too good not to share. This is a clip from British video-mag of a comparison between an Impreza STI and a Forester STI (!) on a wet track.

Not only are the cars sweet, but the female test driver is a charmer.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-117426835217777671&q=bmw

james
    Very cooooool :shades:
  • kfcarterkfcarter Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Forester LL Bean Edition. To my dismay, my heated seats only heat for 5 minutes and then they cycle off, or down, but do not stay hot. Has anybody else had this experience - or do your seats stay hot? The dealer doesn't seem to know the answer to this question and I thought before I take it in to be checked out, maybe I could get others experience in this matter. Thanks.
  • framelessframeless Member Posts: 5
    in may my wife and i purchased an 06 forester x with the premium package. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the frameless windows? trying to understand why subaru chooses to use those. also, why does the gear shifter for the automatic transmission have that unusual configuration?
    Does anyone know if the factory installed cargo-area subwoofer in the '06 Forester will adapt to work with an aftermarket head unit?

As far as I can tell, the sub connects to the back of the factory HU with a square 8-pin connector. The wiring harness that comes from Crutchfield doesn't apply to the sub, only the (16 pin?) connector that houses the electrical and speaker wiring.

If anyone has any experience with this, or any ideas, please share. I'm only budgeting for a HU at this point, and don't really want to lose the sub.

Thanks
    Doug
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    "Rich, taking the cross bars off ( not the rails) give it a sleek look and a small mpg improvement and quieter. I take mine off unless i need them for a trip it takes only 5 min

Good Luck.... Matt
    Frameless windows are not bad.. they just rattle when partially open, otherwise they're as good as framed windows in most cases.

The Forester auto shifter pattern, on the other hand, is truly idiotic. Why did Subaru do it right on the Legacy, and screw it up on the Forester, I don't know.
    Thanks, Matt - I may consider that, then.
    HOT DAMN! I want a Forester STi!!! Please? Pretty please??? :D

-Frank
    Your seats are working fine, they're supposed to cycle on and off. No doubt to prevent the heating elements from getting too hot and melting the seat cushions. FYI, I think on the low setting the heaters will stay on all the time.

-Frank
    I think they have a patent. It's horrible. But don't worry, it goes away. It takes a lot more than 1500 miles, though. Some say it's the underspray burning off the exhaust. They spray to make the trip from Gunma, Japan by boat.

Cruise control issue - give the dealer a chance to fix it. Technically, for a lemon law, they get 3 strikes, so hang in there. This will all be a faint memory a few months from now.

Video - awesome!

If I were a kid, I'd love to be taken to school in this

Bingo. I'd give a kidney for one of those.

-juice
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    The moonroof "malfunction" described is in fact, not a malfunction at all, but is by design. It is a little known fact that if you override the auto-open or auto-close function of the moonroof 5 times in a row (by pressing the switch in the opposite direction of the moonroof's travel), it will switch into manual mode.

In my case, this happened to me when I swapped out my battery and it defaulted to the manual mode when I restored power. (OK, I'll call that a malfunction.)

Anyway, I found the simple solution buried deep in the Forester Technical Reference manual:

To reset the sunroof motor:
    (1) Close the sunroof lid completely, and then
    push and hold the switch to close for more than 1 second.
    (At this time, the sunroof operates 50 mm (1.97
    in) each intermittently. And also the switch is
    needed to push for several times.)
    (2) Open the sunroof lid approx. 400 mm (15.75
    in).
    (3) Close the sunroof lid completely, and then
    push the switch to close for more than 1 second.
    (Sunroof will now operate automatically by performing
    this operation.)

Hope this helps!

Elliot
    Thank you for posting this fix, I will try it out as soon as I get out of the office today.

I just realized that right before I started having the moonroof problem, I had disconnected the battery because I was working on my stereo headunit. So your solution may work for me.

I will let you all know if it works or not.

Doug

Edit: The moonroof problem started happening the day BEFORE I had the battery unplugged. Unless the malfunction can manifest with a simple ECU reset, which I had done with a programmer, then I am less hopeful than before but will still test this procedure and post back with results.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    At 70 MPH + I get a high-pitched whistle sound, almost like an alarm. It is in the front area, unable to determine exact location...

Sometimes it can occur with wind pressure from passing big trucks at 65 MPH or so. Could this be a seal problem with the front windshield? My dealer can't trouble shoot this due to inability of them to test drive it at those speeds. :cry:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Could be the roof racks. Try moving them to the back or removing them completely.
    Sorry, but noise is inside the cab, and cannot be heard outside. But I did, a while back think of that, and try removing them. ;)

It is sometimes triggered by big rig blow-back, when I am going like 55. But the sound is most def coming from the windshield or dash area.....
    Since I don't think we can post links to other forums, I'll just paste this here and give credit to Peaty over at scoobymods (which is a great resource, btw):

Windscreen noise at speed or during strong crosswinds

It seems to be a pretty common problem among Forester owners. If you are driving at highway speeds+ some people hear a sound that I like to describe as a broken reed on a wind instrument. The speed this occurs varies from car to car. Some have it happen as low as 70 MPH (112 kph) and some not till upwards of 120+ MPH (193 kph). It seems to be consistently reproducible by those that are plagued by this problem. It may also happen during a strong cross wind driving at lower speeds or if a semi truck passes by from the other direction. When that happens to me the noise only happens for a second. At speed the noise is pretty constant. Hondaslayer from NASIOC has described a fix that I gave a try and seems to have fixed the issue.

What you will need:

Sealant - A type that is clear when dry and water washable when freshly applied, this is very important.

Non marring tool - To lift windscreen gasket - Plastic scraper, rubber squeegee or even your fingers will work.

Wet Paper Towel - To clean up and smooth out excess sealant from gasket after applied

Something to stand on - If you are short like me I needed a step stool to reach the center of the windscreen

This is a very simple to do, but first if you have a belt on either cover the buckle with something or remove it. You will be leaning over the paint and you don't want to scratch it. I use a shop apron when I work on my car but pulling your shirt out works too.

It's best to do this when you can let the car sit overnight to dry.

Using your plastic tool get under the top center lip of the windscreen gasket. The gasket is very tight up in that area and not a lot of room for sealant. Don't apply a ton it will only squish out. Apply the sealant in the gap you have opened. (Don't panic if the sealant looks white when it comes out, it will dry clear). You can even open the gap, stick in the end of the tube and apply it that way. Pull a bead across as evenly as possible. Keep a slow steady speed. I only went as far as 9 inches from the center (where the rear view mirror attaches) out to the side on the left and right. After you apply the sealant across the top, get a very wet paper towel and gently remove any access sealant that oozes out. Get the rag good an wet and turn it often. After you get it off as best as you can use a dry towel to wipe the excess water. Try not to push on the rubber seal area very hard.

After the material dries you may see some smudges of sealant on the glass or paint. You can get it off the paint with some wax, it should rub off with no problems. Same for the glass just use a paper towel and some windex.

That's about it. It worked for me. If you still have the noise you may want to apply more sealant further out and see if that helps.

Peaty 7/13/05
    Thank you! :)

That was my suspicion, that perhaps when they installed the XM Radio, the windshield seal had been compromised by their failing to seal it back properly.
  • garlicheadgarlichead Member Posts: 3
    Subaru (probably Forester) is tops on my list of the vehicle which will soon replace my trusty '97 Accord wagon. I love manual-shift trannies so the new CR-V is out (no manual available). Too bad, because Honda's manual trannies are so much more refined than Subie's. Anyhow, the Subaru non-turbo 2.5 got a modest power increase for '06. What I'm wondering is this: Is the power increase noticeable? I understand that the new variable valve timing made the power band a little flatter; that should equate to better low/mid-range punch. Is it so? I am really only interested in the normally aspirated engine (turbo is too thirsty and needs premium fuel) coupled with the 5-speed. If I could A/B a pre-'06 and an '06 or '07, I would, but finding 5-speeds in the NW PA area is difficult, let alone finding a pre-'06 and an '06 (or '07) on the same lot.
    I drove an automatic, and Bob Holland was with me. We did not sample a 5 speed, but he owns an older auto Forester (his wife does, anyway) and he thought the power bump was noticeable.

-juice
  • michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    Hello, all.

I purchased 2006 Subaru L.L. Bean edition about a year ago (it has about 5k on it as of today). Ever since I purchased it, I've been having a wind leak noise problem on the driver side door. It's happening in where the window, the door and door frame meets. When I put my finger on top of it, the noise stops. I brought my car to the dealer but they said it's a normal problem and there is nothing wrong with it. If so, howcome it is not happening on my passenger side door?

Has anyone experienced the similar problem? if you did, were you able to find a solution?

TIA.

Michael.
    My 2006 Forester has another problem. When it was sitting for a while, it produces a lot of gas odor as soon as I start it. It goes away after driving it for a while.

What is so strange is it started to happen right after the fuel pump was replaced. I thought maybe the fuel residue that was left out when the fuel pump was replaced was causing the problem. however, it's been almost 10 months and it's still happening.

Again, my dealership said there was nothing wrong with the car and there is nothing to be fixed.

Did anyone have similar issue with your forester? Any help would be appreciated!!

TIA.

Michael.
    Ok, the last problem. I posted this problem before, but could not get an answer till now. so i'll try again.

My 2006 Forester (LL bean) have had fuel pump noise problem ever since I purchased the car. It always has a very high-pitch (sounds like electric humming) noise. It does not matter whether I accelerate the car or not. As soon as I turn on the car, the noise starts.

My dealership tried to replace the pump, but the replaced pump also had the same noise..

If anyone had similar problem and have a solution to this, I would love to hear it..

Thanks a lot.

Michael