Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Cool!

I guess they couldn't find a better way to program the beeps and buzzers, like just a panel or something..... :(
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    "I guess they couldn't find a better way to program the beeps and buzzers, like just a panel or something....."

No doubt some kind of federal mandate...can't be having people turn off things that will save them, don't you know.

In my opinion, if the beeper sounded for a moment when you put the car in gear, it would make sense. Having it beep while you're just sitting there is stupid.
    My only objection is it beeping when I get out of the car, and it is in park, with the motor running. Drives The Wife, or any passenger, nuts!

I can understand it beeping if someone is in the drivers seat, to remind them. But when unoccupied, its silly, as they already have a sensor in the seat.
    A blinking light on the dash would be a better reminder than a beeper and far less annoying, IMO.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Seen a bunch of legacy drivers do it.

-mike
    Paisan, what can be programmed?
    You can reprogram it out. I don't know the code to do it but I know it's on legacygt.com or net

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    This is not a joke. I found it on cars101.com unless he is joking... in tips and tricks.

"Temporary: buckle and un-buckle the driver and/or passenger seatbelt 3 times in 6 seconds after turning the car to either 'accessory' or 'on' (varies by year, model)
    Disable the seatbelt beeping: buckle and un-buckle the driver and/or passenger seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds after turning the car to acc."

Let me know if it works...
    :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
  • marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 2
    I did it with my 05 Outback and I will do it tomorrow with my 07 Forester.
  • applejfapplejf Member Posts: 40
    When we bought our 2006 Forester, if one wanted the base engine and manual transmission. one could NOT have leather seats. Since the base engine and manual xmsn were musts, that's what we bought. I was happy with the cloth seats until I began to see some wear after only four months of ownership (3500 miles) on the driver's side. There is an excellent independent car interior shop here and I went to see them to see if they had any decent "seat covers" that I could put on my front seats to prevent further wear. His response was "Have you thought about a leather kit?". Long story short, I had him install a Katzkin leather kit that was custom made for my particular car. I am very happy with it. It included putting leather on front and rear seats, including the head rests. It looks like a factory job. I showed it to my salesman this past week and he was stunned. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Fred
    What is the price range, Fred?
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,879

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

$700! :surprise:

Dang, really cheap compared to ordering them with the car! Nice! :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good price but I would strongly recommend a pro install it. Should run around $900-1000 installed. Get them heated while you're at it, about $12-1300.

-juice
  • applejfapplejf Member Posts: 40
    Shopsar was the place that my indy ordered from, and they are the Katzkin covers. He charged me the $799 price that was on the website, and $500 for installation. I would not have wanted to tackle this myself. Not even sure I could get the seats out.

I can take a picture of the interior of my car if anyone is interested and post it. I am very happy with the result.
  • spgrspgr Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2005 forester x. When I take a turn at very low speeds, I notice that the steering wheel wobbles a bit before it goes back to the original driving position. Also, despite a recent allingment, the car pulls to the right. The allingment service person told me that if this wobbling and pull continues, it may be a problem with the tires. I replaced the factory tires with Goodyear Comfortrends last year and, to be honest, I like the factory Yokohamas better, but that's besides the point. Could the tires be at fault? Should I be checking anything else? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    One possibility is a sticking brake caliper. That could cause it to pull to one side. Also, if the tire pressures vary significantly from side to side, the car will pull.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Len
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    My '98 S is haunted. The Subaru installed keyless entry system/alarm turns itself off during the night. At first I thought I was getting absent minded. I am in the habit of always locking with the remote and listening for the two clicks indicating all doors are closed and locked. But on several mornings, I found the driver's door unlocked.

Also, when driving down the Interstate on the way to work, I heard the chirp indicating unlock and sure enough, the doors unlocked. This happened on 4 different occasions.

At first I though this was defect in the unit or wiring. But one night I was up late and heard through the house window the unlocking chirp from the Forester parked out in front. Upon checking, I found the doors unlocked. I relocked them, but later I heard the chirp again. As I was getting up to go out, I then heard the the two clicks of it locking again.

Then I realized the unlocking on the Interstate occurred each time in the same approximate location. And the unlocking at night happens only in front of my house. It does not happen at the several work locations I visit and park at each week, nor when out running errands.

I can only conclude that it is some sort of interference, but aren't these digitally coded so that they do not respond to stray signals?
    Usually, however someone else, using the same system, could possibly be on the same codes.

Also, they do make randomizers, that people own, they run through multiple codes very quickly, searching for a vehicle that responds. Those are mostly used by thieves in parking lots of the major malls, parking structures, etc.

Have you checked your mileage? Perhaps someone is joy-riding at night, and putting it back. ;)
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I experienced the same thing with my 2001 Forester a few years back. My doors kept unlocking themselves. I took it to the dealer and they changed the batteries in my remote. Problem solved. As a test, try removing the batteries from the remote and locking the doors, to see if the phenomenon continues. Or call an exorcist. Good luck.

Len
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I have the Tribeca instructions on my web site...click the link to my name in the title above, and then find my Tribeca reviews page...there's a link there. I also know it works for the Legacys and Outbacks. You can try in on a Forester and see if it works...let me know! (note the disclaimer warning you will find there).

-Karen in AZ-
    Thanks for the replies. There are a couple of other Subarus in the neighborhood. I will look at the remote and try the battery idea. My spare remote (the one previously used most) is in a drawer. Perhaps it is the culprit.
    It does sound like either a tire problem or a bent wheel. Sometimes the problem is not visible but can be found by taking the tire off the car and putting it on a balancing machine. Or, it may be visible on the side of the tire that faces inward. The belt may have deformed or a sidewall bulge may have developed. This is more likely if the tread is quite worn.
  • spgrspgr Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for the responses. It was indeed a tire problem. Both my front tires had flat spots and other uneven wear that coused vibration and the pull to the right. This is despite following a very regular rotation schedule, every 6,000 miles, and doing allignments. Unfortunately, I had to pay a $51 diagnostic fee at the dealer to confirm that this was the problem and nothing else mechanical. This whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth with both, the dealer and the place I bought the tires. The dealer charged me a diagnostic fee to tell me that there's something wrong with the tires even though the car was still under warranty and despite the fact that they did work to the vehicle (they resurfaced the rotors). Then, the place I bought the tires tried to blame the defect on the tires to mechanical failure!! I have voiced a complaint to both places but it seems that this will be another loss for the consumer.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Looks like a nice model.
  • jh_macdonaldjh_macdonald Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Subaru Forester and I also have a high-pitched whistle sound eminating from the front. I can hear it when the engine is running and it continues for several minutes after the engine is off. If I disconnect the battery the noise stops so I assume it is electrical. I also pulled the fuses one by one and was not able to narrow the noise down to any specific area. Thank you ~ James
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    I hope it is, 'cause I've got an XT Sports sitting in my garage right now. Unfortunately, it's a manual shift, which, the dealer and I learned together, does NOT have VDC. So, I am waiting to swap it for an automatic XT Sports , sometime next week. As it's the ONLY Forester with VDC, I gladly gave up leather seats and the many various color combos in the XT to get VDC. :)
    Check the ABS pump. I had this problem on my car and it turned out to be a bad ground on the ABS pump.

-mike
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Hope it comes soon for you.

I myself would not take a Forester XT any other way than with a MT. That turbo motor works best when you keep it in the sweet spot via the MT. The AWD is enough safety for me.

I do wish the MT had it but I would not trade the enjoyment of MT for the added safety of VDC. But that is just me and your choice is valid as well.
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, I know what you mean about MT and the turbo, but we also have a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 with 6-speed MT (hence my username), and I've enjoyed that thing on the freeway. I doubt the XT Sports with MT would be as nifty to weave thru traffic. Our '99 Forester is also AT, so we're used to it. The additional safety is what I wanted. Plus, I hope the XT Sports gives us at least 100K miles of relatively trouble-free driving, as the '99 Forester has.
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Recently, I've had to jump start my battery. Ever since - although battery seems to be ok -- I have a strange constant blinking of the security system sign on the dash, plus car stopped flashing lights when I click remote control to open the doors. Something's fishy there although for all practical purposes it's still working ok. 160K miles on a vehicle. \\

Should I disconnect and then reconnect the battery, to try to bring things back to normal?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Sounds like the system is in valet mode. Unlock and open the driver's door, click the "unlock" button on the remote, then click and HOLD the "unlock" button on the remote for 5-10 seconds. The system should return to normal.
    Check your owner manual and reprogram the security system. There are about four different options. If your lights no longer flash when locking/unlocking, it sounds like one of the other options has been activated.
  • bluvettebluvette Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody had a problem finding the right oil filter for their 06 Forester? My local auto parts stores (Pep-Boys,Auto-Zone) have no listing for a fram filter in their book, only a purolator L14612. I got on the purolator website I found a cross reference conversion to a Fram Ph 6607, I then went to the Fram website and found a listing recomends a PH 9715 which is not stocked in central N.Y.
    What filter is right? :confuse:

Note. The Fram website lists the forester as Subaru Truck
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Why not just get the filter from your Subaru dealer? It's not expensive and you'll get the crush washer too, not to mention you'll get the correct filter as well. You can probably order a case of filters from them too and save some $$$.

-Brian
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    I originally posted the following on the Subaru Crew thread, but thought I'd copy it here in hopes of getting more feedback - if not gauging how much crossover there is between the two threads as well.

My driver's seat belt tensioner on my '03 Forester X is a bit slack, which prevents the belt from retracting when released, sometimes allowing the door to close on the buckle, which is not a nice thing to do to a seatbelt, or a B pillar, even one as sturdy as mine! Any ideas on how to restore some needed tension to this area of my world?

Happy New Year to All!

PS - Drove a Malibu Max while on vacation last week - lousy traction, wheels regularly spinning, and even prompting my Dad to mention, "This car rides rough!" Too bad I couldn't have my Forester with me.

One thing I did like about the Max, though: it's good brakes. My own seem mushy at 48K - is this a cause for concern or just a basic difference between the two cars? No problems noted at any service inspections.
    You should have your brakes flushed every 2 years or 30k miles. Chances are you didn't do it, so they are due.

-mike
    The seatbelt retractor is intentionally a bit slack to avoid the belt irritating the wearer. If you have ever been in some of the older GM vehicles where the belt is very tight, you will know why. If you guide the belt toward the retractor, it should take up the slack. The tensioner is a separate device that pulls up the slack quickly in case of a collision. I cannot remember whether the '03 is equipped with the tensioner, but your driver's manual should tell you.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Any issues with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)? Some of the newer cars I've driven that don't have the traditional cable throttle are really touchy. I was considering an 05 X. The 03-04 X don't have it.
    I like the drive by wire, have had it on several of my cars, never an issue.

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    When they raised the 06 to 8.1 inches from 7.5, it crossed some threshold and lo and behold became a truck. Magic. Oh and trucks are not subject to cafe standards and it can affect the cost of licensing in some areas...

So, that lift appeared to be intentional to get the "truck" rating for some reason. Cafe (mileage) standards are done on all of your vehicles as a manufacterer, I believe, but sub-categories can affect the whole. No one is sure exactly why they did it as they messed up the suspension, in my opinion, to get that extra half inch of height. The 03-05's were designed as a whole and since they have started tinkering with things, I don't think they are improvements e.g. boosting the power steering...

Thanks, I feel better...
    Has nothing to do with the truck status for CAFE. It has to do with the ability for it to have rear fold down seats that fold flat with the rear cargo area and a hatch-like opening.

PT Crapper is classified as a truck
    OB is classified as a truck

It also allows Factory rear tint on the windows if it's a truck as well.

-mike
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    has to do with the ability for it to have rear fold down seats that fold flat with the rear cargo area and a hatch-like opening.

I guess my Honda Fit is also a truck
    The fit could and may be classified by it.

I think it's flat load-floor is the criteria.

-mike
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    How about this.............

Who classifies vehicles for the purposes of CAFE and how is it done?
    Authority to establish vehicle classifications for the purposes of calculating CAFE was delegated to NHTSA. Specifically, the definitions are as follows:

1) Passenger Car – any 4-wheel vehicle not designed for off-road use that is manufactured primarily for use in transporting 10 people or less.

2) Truck – a 4-wheel vehicle which is designed for off-road operation (has 4-wheel drive or is more than 6,000 lbs. GVWR and has physical features consistent with those of a truck); or which is designed to perform at least one of the following functions: (1) transport more than 10 people; (2) provide temporary living quarters; (3) transport property in an open bed; (4) permit greater cargo-carrying capacity than passenger-carrying volume; or (5) can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Ground clearance is a factor in classifying the Outback as a truck, at least that's what I've been told.

Bob
    How does the PT Crapper then get classified under those rules as a truck for CAFE purposes.

I think we are talking about different "classifications" NHST v. EPA v. someone else.

I'll see if I can find out what the rules are for CAFE.

-mike
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Basically if I read that correctly, any vehicle with a fold-flat floor in the back can be considered a "truck" for the CAFE purposes. Regardless of weight, size etc.

-mike
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools

a flat floor alone is not enough.