Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet the Owners

Comments

• brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hey guys, this Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet is getting really boring....no comments on my pics....no new questions....where's everybody ? :surprise: :cry: :confuse:
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'm still here, but there's been a big change at Edmunds lately which has killed off most of the activity on some boards and forums.

If you've got a few minutes, try reading the last couple of weeks posts over here: Forums Software! Your Questions Answered...

If you've got strong feelings about what's happening you might want to make a post there yourself.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    If you've got strong feelings about what's happening you might want to make a post there yourself.

Note however, that those who have been TOO critical of "The Great Leap Forward" have also "lost" the ability to post in that forum.
    Just ask me how I know...
    Oh dear! :(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I like your pictures! :)

tidester, host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I'm still hanging around to see how all of this will go, but I do NOT like what has happened.

If we can get some good posting going again, great. If not, there will come a time in the not too distant future when the old Tomster no longer comes to Edmunds.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I am too, but there hasn't been much reason to post.

I did like the pics, but didn't think a comment was required.

I've not been doing too much with the Jeep lately as I've been busy with lots of other stuff and been on vacation. :)

-Paul
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    I loved reading the previous forum on a regular basis. Not always necessarily for a specific piece of information, but for the educational value that I got from "listening" to the conversations. More often than not, something that I had read raised my interest which ultimately spurred me to improve my vehicle or a better way to handle a particular event that I didn't even know existed.

However, what I am seeing here from those that have helped to build the entire Jeep Wrangler section of Edmunds (Mac, Tom, and others), indicates that their level of frustration might make this whole community spirit go the way of the Dodo Bird (extinct)!

While I understand that this is a business with associated costs, there must be a way to work out an appropriate forum that is community building while at the same time allows the business interests of Edmunds to coexist and support the 'community' interests of their audience.

I sure hope that this new forum / page will truly replace the previous 'Jeep Wrangler' forum so that new owners, as well as those looking to just expand their interest and knowledge of their vehicle, will continue to be a major attraction to the Jeep Wrangler Community.

BTW Brazuca - I do like the pictures. It does take a little getting used to seeing the '07 with the same affection as the '40 - '06 Wrangler and all the versions that have come before!

Thanks - Chuck
    I'd post more about what all is going on with my Jeep if I was doing stuff with it. I actually have Kermit in a good spot now (other than some dents I'm working on getting fixed :)). Other than line-x'ing the tub and adding a stronger cage, Kermit is pretty much a sustain project vs build up project for me now.

Now if I could only get some wheeling time... :)

-Paul
    ?
    Nope! :(

The old 'Jeep Wrangler' made far more sense to me.
    Please explain to me why rearranging furniture caused you to lose interest in talking about your Jeeps?? Did you sell yours? No one has driven - onroad or offroad - for the past month? I don't buy it 'cause Jeepin' is in the blood! :)

tidester, host
    Tidester:

I guess it's because new folks used to come to "Edmunds Jeep Wrangler" to ask their questions. They were given warm welcomes, their questions were answered, and they were invited to stick around and become part of the family. Their questions were sort of like "conversation starters," I suppose, and you know how one post leads to other posts.

Tom
    The sign on the door certainly matters to potential newcomers. It's the difference between "Come in to this room to discuss anything to do with Wranglers", and "Come into this room to socialize and meet with people who own Wranglers".

It may be a subtle difference, but the second option is a definite turn off to someone with technical questions in mind. Kind of a 'touchy/feely' thing.

As I said, a subtle difference, but I believe that more people come here initially for automotive reasons than to socialize (though once here it's nice that some of them choose to stick around). I guess it might sound a rather thin explanation if it weren't for the lack of new faces around here lately.

As I said when we changed over, it works for me. However, it doesn't seem to be working for others, judging from the lack of new faces. Jeep Wrangler used to be the initial point of contact, and as the new name doesn't seem as attractive as the original why can't we change it back again?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    tidster

As I said when we changed over, it works for me. However, it doesn't seem to be working for others, judging from the lack of new faces. Jeep Wrangler used to be the initial point of contact, and as the new name doesn't seem as attractive as the original why can't we change it back again?

I think this is the way most of us feel. The Wave & Meet thing just doesn't attract people. Can you be an advocate for us to go back to the Jeep Wrangler title? It at leaat got people to the site and kept many of them here.

Terry
    I can't change the name to "Jeep Wrangler" (because it's already assigned).

Take a look at the new header I created on the Jeep Wrangler group page. That should help.

As for a better name for this topic, we're open to (other!) suggestions. :)

tidester, host
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Well... if at least we keep groaning and moaning, the total number of posts will climb and MAYBE the sheer number of posts MIGHT bring in new faces just to see what is being said?!?

Not the MOST pleasant way to get 'em in the door, but it might work.
    I can't change the name to "Jeep Wrangler" (because it's already assigned).

So why can't it just be re-opened. It wouldn't be a step backwards, so much as correcting a step that was going in the wrong direction.

Since Jeep Wrangler was shut down the new alternative has collected a mere hundred posts, most of which are from the regulars to register their dissatisfaction. Jeep Wrangler had over twenty two thousand posts........I think it would be fair to say it was popular.

Newcomers arriving in the past would generally want to ask the group a question, and would often stick around to become part of the group. They weren't drawn here for a warm and fuzzy "Wave and Meet" then, and they don't appear to be now either! :(
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Once again, I agree with Tom and Mac. 22,000 speaks for itself.Also, the search window was always used by folks. It was like a dictionary of information and grew each day. There was pride in belonging to a "community" that had 22,000 posts. Everyday I looked forward to reading the posts. That excitement no longer exists. I referred other Jeepers to it all the time. I have not referred one person to this site. This is not working folks. John
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Mac and TSJay is right, and Edmunds is simply wrong. Tidester, your towing the company line is admirable, but lets face it - in the land of capitalism, this forum is not as popular and therefore not as profitable as it was.

Koolbreeze, you said it.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I'm going to take this one step further, and as an Internet professional, it is my humble opinion that Edmunds has never gotten Web 2.0. If Edmunds were doing this correctly, they would be using vocabulary and taxonomy to move forward, and not re-align their forums around some sort of 1999 web site forum hierarchy designed by the marketing department.

Sorry if I seem like I am flaming, but I have been in this forum for years, and this is not the way to move forward. The make and model is the first level of division - after that, it creates problems to find general questions, issues, meet & greet, etc. when it is spread over 4 billion different forums. Might as well start a forum on "Jeep Wrangler - Mast Antenna Problems". Sheesh.

Edmunds: Ever heard of RSS?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    YUP!!
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    How hard can it be to create a new thread name that is consistent with the old? May I suggest:

Jeep Wrangler, con't
    Jeep Wrangler, part II
    etc.
    I'm reopening the main Wrangler discussion. :)

Look at Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... for details.

tidester, host
    See everyone back at good old Edmunds Jeep Wrangler!

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
    Excellent!!!!! :)
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    Ok, now that we're open for business again I thought I'd contribute back to the community that has helped me out so much. I recently installed a Milemarker 10,500 lb. capacity winch. Thanks Mac for your winch recommendations that I found on this forum months ago using the SEARCH feature...go figure how a newbie could find info in a 22,000 post forum.

Let me just say that I think the Wrangler installation kit provided by MileMarker is pretty worthless for a reasonable installation. Using the original power steering hose, resizing the hoses provided by MileMarker, a "rebent" fitting from the installation kit, a hose coupler and voila...a clean install.

If anyone would like the install details I'd be glad to help out with info.

It's good to have the community forum back. Thanks Edmunds!

Dennis

Front View
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Top View
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    As you say, a clean install. Good job!

Milemarker do supply a good kit complete with the right fittings and correct length hoses, it's just that they don't supply any instructions on how to lay it out! Duh! I guess I'll have to take some pics. Instead of pointing the hoses to the passenger side, then doubling back and going under the grille, I led them toward the driver's side then along the frame rail and on up into the engine compartment. That way you remove the original HP hose and use both the MM supplied ones. I also mounted the supplied breaker inside the control box, then mounted the control box under the hood to protect it from the elements.

I'll post pics in a day or so over in Jeep Wrangler.
    That's a nice hydraulic winch and installation! I like the power and consistent performance a hydraulic winch will provide. I just suck at plumbing and KNOW I would introduce a leak somewhere. :)

-Paul
  • diegotexeradiegotexera Member Posts: 11
    You guys spend a great deal of time on this thing and I wanted to thank you guys for participating in such a time consuming project as this appears to be. If it weren't for you guys the information available...well...wouldn't be. So thanks!

Diego Texera
    Miami, FL
    July 18th, 1979
    98 Sahara w/73k
    Warn 8000
    Premier P680MP and Pioneer sub in locking trunk
    Optima Yellow Top
    a few political bumper stickers...my Venezuelan flag!
    ...and big ole grin on my face :)

...life is good
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I uploaded a picture of the Wrangler to MyCarSpace. Take a look.

http://www.carspace.com/middleageguy
    Very clean for an eighteen year old!
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    Not exactly here to meet with other wrangler owners as I am sort of a modified hermit. I like to keep to myself, family and close friends as far as real time stuff goes. I will however introduce myself and most likely hang out here but I will be in my corner only giving out what I know and asking what I don't.
    Name: Peter
    DOB: 3/15/70
    Family: Married with two girls not quite teenagers yet thank God
    Education: College
    Occupation: Used to be teacher but now Santa in season and trying to grow my hobby into a buisness the rest of the time.
    Jeep: (my first) 2007 Wrangler 4 door Saraha edition 4X2 with 18 inch tires hardtop.
    Experience with cars: Been driving longer than legal because I grew up on a farm and have always owned a truck or SUV with a couple of them being 4X4s. I prefer the 2wd models now as fixing them when I took them offroad a little too hard got expensive and right now I have kids to support. Sooner or later I will have another 4X4 toy but it will not be a daily driver rather something to just play with.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the comment on my eighteen year old Wrangler.

Earlier this week, I was out in San Diego at a conference. Walking around the hotel, I came upon a 1990 Red Wrangler Sahara with a For Sale. Exactly the same as mine, except for the Sahara brown top and interior.

Wrangler was in very good shape with a For Sale sign. No rust. Had new fog lights and wiring for towing behind a RV.

This is hard to believe, but the Wrangler was listed for $5,500.
  • 1999tj1999tj Member Posts: 7
    Hi fellow jeepsters, i enjoy reading what everyone says,can't wait to see what mine handels like off payment,went fishing the other day and my cousin wouldn't let me get off the path to the pond,said it was too wet :cry: have to sneek back in later.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Took pictures of me changing the top today on a lark. In the winter it has the factory hard top and full doors, but this time of year I'm down to a frameless soft top and 2-piece soft doors. Windows roll into the top and the doors go behind the rear seat, and I'm down to just the safari look.