Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

1111213141517»

Comments

• ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. I decided I'm buying a 2008 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. I have two important questions and would love to hear feedback on it so anything would help. First, how is the Navigation in this car? Someone who has the Nav, please comment on this. I mean, honestly I really want it cause it looks good and I'm always travelling and a Nav system would come so in handy. And the second question I have is what color do you guys prefer. I was all set on black until I went to the dealership today and saw metropolitan gray. What a gorgeous color! Its like dark grey but with a touch of blue. Actually, it looks bluish-grayish. I know these two things seem unimportant but it will really affect my decision on this car. Ok, thanks a lot.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    How about a Jetta Diesel? Per the (rediculously low) EPA numbers, the 2009 Jetta Sedan gets 30 mpg city and 41 mpg highway, and it is available with all of the other goodies that you say are "non negotiable".

Can't say about the 09 models, but no 08 Jettas have leather interior as an option. And, here in SC, when I was in the market last January, the closest Jetta with factory NAV was in Texas, according to the local VW dealer. Of course, you could order one with NAV and wait 60+ days...
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Can't say about the 09 models, but no 08 Jettas have leather interior as an option."

Really? What about the Jetta GLI? I'm pretty sure that the GLI has been available with the Autobahn Package (which includes leather) for several years now.

Regarding the NAV system, yeah, most folks don't seem to want it, and so they're kind of hard to come by. For my part at least, I have no problem waiting for sixty days to have a car built exactly to my specifications, so I don't think that's unreasonable, but that's just me. ;)

FWIW, I ran across a 2009 option sheet a month or so back on a different board, and I'm 90% positive that the top trim level is available with leather seating and NAV.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Really? What about the Jetta GLI? I'm pretty sure that the GLI has been available with the Autobahn Package (which includes leather) for several years now.

The last time I was on the VW web-site, the GLI was considered a different model than the Jetta, even thought the body style is the same. A technical difference, I admit, but the GLI is oriented as a "performance" model.

Going through the thread, it didn't seem to be the direction the poster was headed, in my opinion.

As for me, when I was shopping last January, VW had the sale, but lost it due to a fuel efficient model with decent options, such as leather, self-diming interior rear-view mirror and other options that were easily found on other competitor's models.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I think you still need to be in Canada to get heated mirrors (because we don't get ice in the states).. kind of screwed up considering Hyundais and Kias have 'em.

But I found this link for heated side mirrors:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=4670- 48&siteid=214264&catalogid=4010
  • cyshescyshes Member Posts: 7
    Any chance the 2009 Mazda3i will come with stability control (VSC)? I think it's the only thing that's really preventing me from going with the Mazda3.
    "I think you still need to be in Canada to get heated mirrors..."

The Civic EX-L comes with heated mirrors.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The '09 Civic is on the way within the next month and a half. Changes include the addition of trim levels slotting between the DX and LX (lower middle) and LX and EX (upper middle). The Civic VP (value package) will basically be a DX with Air Conditioning and a stereo. The LX-S will be a sport package for the LX, with alloys, sport seats, and a rear-deck spoiler. Sedans will be getting the 3-spoke wheel from the coupes.

Also, revised styling will be minor changes only, a slightly larger grille opening, and minor adjustments made to the lighting.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Where can I see pics of the upgraded Civic?
    Thanks.

Looks like the grille of the Mazda3 i, with the chrome on top of the grille and a black mesh below and the logo centered.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    For the buck, you can't beat the Mazda3. If I can get an excellant deal on an '08/'09, I will not wait until the '10s come out in Feb. The biggest question I have is the reliability/quality of the 2 engines that come in the Mazda3, i.e., 2.0 and the 2.3. Which engine is the best??? tyvm :shades:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Both of them are as reliable as you can want.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Both are very reliable.
  • hondarep1hondarep1 Member Posts: 5
    Both are very reliable. If you're open to saving a few thousand dollars, we just took in a gorgeous 2007 GT with only 10k miles. It should be on our company website soon. I work for Honda of Kirkland, WA. The car is an absolute 10....No smokers or dogs.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It goes to the Corolla strengths, inexpensive to purchase and inexpensive to keep.

2009 Corolla in VT
    from the article:The Civic beats the Corolla by a bit in headroom and legroom, except in the rear. The Corolla’s 36.3 inches of rear legroom exceeds the Civic’s 34.6 inches, and the Corolla’s flat floor is more comfortable for passengers stuck in the back.

What makes the Corolla's flat floor more comfortable than the Civic's flat floor?

That review is pretty useless.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Poorly written, methinks. Both floors are flat.

In sitting in each back to back, IMO it's the shape of the seat cushions, the height of the seat over the floor and then slightly more legroom that might make it more comfortable in the back of the Corolla.

I can see what she means but it's her opinion. In fact the measurements are almost exactly the same on the seat sizes but the Corolla sits slightly higher off the floor it seems.
  • dengludenglu Member Posts: 12
    Could anyone recommend the best (based on your experience) Honda dealership in San Francisco Bay area?

Edmunds is showing TMV price of $18,230, whereas carsdirect.com is giving $17,471...could anyone kindly share his/her experience buying a new 2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr sedan in any of the dealerships around SF Bay area?...I was wondering if i could get a better deal in case i am willing to pay the entire amount rather than use financing or it is better to mention this at the end?

I am interested in the base model, do not need navigation or other bells and whistles...just want to survey what was OTD price people paid for 2008 Honda Civiv LX 4dr in SF Bay area this month or month before

A little of what i found out so far: carsdirect.com pricing seems to be deflated, as Bluebook also suggests that the average price people pay for the car is $18,246.00 with the range being $18,064.00-$18,428.00 (edmunds TMV price is $18,430), whereas carsdirect seems to be well below that, so probably, not really attainable in reality...my understanding is that theres is a basic 36-month warranty which is a part of the basic package...am i wrong? So is that right to assume that OTD = price FOR THE CAR (incl. destination)+warranty? or usually when people mention OTD price it excludes the warranties? It is my current understanding is that when bluebook or edmunds show the price people tend to pay for a given model DOES include the basic 3-year warranty, but i maybe wrong on this one....

i am looking for standard package with standard specs, just wanna get a handle on what is the average price people are paying at this moment for 2008 Honda Civic LX 4-dr sedan with a standard package in SF Bay area (by standard i mean specs mentioned at http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/Specifications/2008_Honda_Civic_Sedan_223770.aspx- - ) .

Thanks in advance
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Take a break from the stock market and political debates...

Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace! I left this message for you in another place, but I'll leave it here too in case you miss it there.

You found the best place to ask here: denglu, "Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #7556, 5 Oct 2008 11:38 pm. You should also check out our Dealer Ratings & Reviews sections.

Good luck!
  • leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    We bought a 2007 CR-V at San Leandro Honda last year. Internet Sales dept. Market pricing...simple no hassles. Probably could have gotten someone closer to where we live to match their price, but even the back and forth on email with the other dealers got on my nerves. So..gave my business to dealer that gave us the best price up-front and easiest buying experience.
  • allan_mazdaallan_mazda Member Posts: 2
    I would recommend a mazda 3 because it comes standard with more power and it is cheaper cause you would get more for your money and you would like it more and you wouldnt think it was boring ever. So if you wanna see one go online to freemanmooremazda.com and click on the blue square and choose new inventory and check one out all kinds of options with this car

allan
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Well that's just all a matter of opinion as I just love my 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE and don't think it's boring at all. In fact I test drove both the new Civic and the new 3 and chose the Corolla. I feek I made the best choice and would definitely make the same choice again. The Civic is loud and the 3 is small and interior is in my opinion "boring". But to each his own !
    The Civic is loud and the 3 is small and interior is in my opinion "boring". But to each his own !

FYI, the Mazda3 has more interior room.

I feek I made the best choice and would definitely make the same choice again

That's all that counts! :shades:
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    I, for one, coming from a family of Corolla owners, from way before I was born, until I bought my 3.

My family owned a 79, 86, 91, 97 and I personally owned a 00 and an 03 Corolla and my sister owned a 99 Civic and my other sister an 06 Civic. I bought my 3 hatch because I needed utility and the added features found on the 3, but not on the Corolla/Matrix or Civic for just about $1000 more, is too good to pass.

From the moment I test drove the 3, I just loved it. I can't hide that smile cheek to cheek. Just like VW's slogan "Drivers Wanted", the 3 begs to be driven. I realized how sleepy driving the Corolla was.

Now, I even upgraded to the speed3 and I'm never coming back to a Corolla. :shades:
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    The 2010 Maxda 3 is out in a few months, i like the sedan's new front end...haven't seen the hatch yet.
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, the new 2010 "3" looks great. If I was in the market I would definately wait and give it a test drive. I don't know why I didn't give this car a shot when I bought my 2006 Civic Coupe EX (which I am pretty much disappointed in- rattles, road noise, general cheap feeling, etc). You get a lot for the money with the current "3". If Mazda can keep the prices and packaging close to the current generation they could have a big hit on their hands.
    If you don't like road noise, you won't like the current-gen 3, especially with the 17" tires. That thing roars big-time on the highway; more noticeably than the Civic.
    True and not so true. I just bought a Mazda3 i Touring with the 17" wheels, and yes, the factory Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires create quite a din inside the car at freeway speeds. Given the very poor reviews those tires get in winter conditions and tread life, I had them replaced yesterday with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and presto-chango, the car is easily as quiet (if not quieter) as a Civic EX on the highway.

Anybody want to buy a set of 205/50 R17 Eagles RS-As with 700 miles on them? No? I didn't think so. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    In this area of interior road noise I guess it's safe to say that the Corolla is still the dominate car.
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    You could be absolutely correct. I have never driven a 3, so it could be noisier than the Civic for all I know. I also agree with the post that states that the Corolla is probably the quietest. Toyotas are usually rock solid and quiet. Although this usually comes at the price of feeling "disconnected" from the driving experience. Totally off topic, but I just drove my mom's (age 67) 2001 Celica GT-S with 23000 miles on it. What a piece of crap. The engine was loud, underpowered and that thing rattled like an 84 Camaro Z28. Wasn't at all impressed with the handling either. I could not believe it was a Toyota. My Civic felt like a combination of a Porche (handling) and an Mercedes (quietness) after driving the Celica. Maybe I should drive her car more often!
    ...2001 Celica GT-S with 23000 miles on it. What a piece of crap. The engine was loud, underpowered...

I'll just assume that you didn't wind out the engine. It's only adequate at low-revs (not that different from the Civic Si), but takes off above 6,000 RPM. Of course, not many drive at that RPM often!

I also agree with the post that states that the Corolla is probably the quietest. Toyotas are usually rock solid and quiet. Although this usually comes at the price of feeling "disconnected" from the driving experience.

You're right, I believe. Toyotas tend to have good isolation relative to their competitors, which is both good and bad, depending on what you're after.

I'd really suggest driving the 3, with both the 16" wheels and the 17" wheels. Personally, I think I'd have a hard time springing for brand new tires on a brand new car, just to fix a noise issue (if I had an issue with it, that is... you may not!).

The best advice I can give is to check them all out for yourself, and take our advice with a grain of salt! :)
    Personally, I think I'd have a hard time springing for brand new tires on a brand new car, just to fix a noise issue (if I had an issue with it, that is... you may not!).

I can honestly say that I'm not exactly thrilled with needing to buy new tires for my car, that said, few cars on the market today come stock with a tire and wheel set-up that I like, errr, at least without either ordering the car from the factory and/or paying for pricey dealer upgrades. So with that said, $500 for a new set of skins is actually much cheaper than the wheel and tire package I would have wanted to buy with either the Rabbit or the Civic.

FWIW, the fact that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss are so much quieter than the Goodyear Eagle RS-As was an unintended benefit of the tire swap, the real
    reason I bought the new tires was for better wet and snow covered road traction. After all, we've gotten over 120" of snow in our town during three of our last six winters, and with snow forecast for this week, I felt I couldn't mess around with "All-Season" tires that receive some of the worst wet and snow reviews I've ever read.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the follow-up response shipo.

Of late, I've become a fan of Bridgestone tires, especially considering how well they perform in wet situations (I've only driven them in one marginally wintry mix, less than an inch of snow on the ground). I have the Potenza G009 tires on my old Accord and they are wearing very well; no complaints on the wear of my Michelin tires on my 06 Accord either, although I won't replace them with the same tire most likely. I want something a little more comfortable and quiet than these hard-compoud, low-rolling resistance ones.

I've drug us off topic I'm afraid... I'm sorry! If you haven't seen photos of the 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback, they're now available. Check em out. I'm not sure since I haven't seen it in person yet, but it seems a little cartoony. The current model doesn't look dated to me, and I much prefer it based on the limited amount of photos I've seen.
    If you haven't seen photos of the 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback, they're now available. Check em out. I'm not sure since I haven't seen it in person yet, but it seems a little cartoony. The current model doesn't look dated to me, and I much prefer it based on the limited amount of photos I've seen.

I have to agree, the 2010 model looks like the ugly offspring of a Mitsubishi Galant and a Cadillac CTS. Urrg, no thanks, I much prefer the graceful lines of the current Mazda3. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo

Note the sculpted sides as it approaches the rear-doors, the swoopy new rear- bumper, as well as the front-fender design.
    Does anyone see a little 1st gen Inifini FX in the rear? I do.

That color, Celestial Blue, is a little "loud"....
    Does anyone see a little 1st gen Inifini FX in the rear?

Yes sir I do... taillamp design combined with the bulging tailgate.
    ...and the rear window shape
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    This is what our '05 3s feels like now compared to my '06 Civic LX, which is a quieter car. So everyone has a different opinion of these cars...We still like them both and I must admit the 3s is a looker with the 16" alloys. Mechanically it's been pretty reliable with 53k on the clock and guess we'll be keeping it another couple of years at this point. We just spent over $15k for very nice Hyundai Accent for my middle girl and will probably be getting her older sister an Elantra before the holidays if they raise the rebate. So it looks like the wife and I will be out of the new car buying game for a couple of years...I'm all tapped out :surprise: .

The Sandman :)
This discussion has been closed.