Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

dubes1dubes1 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Dodge
My 1999 Dodge Ram rear end just locked up at about
40 MPH. Almost put wife and I threw the
windshield. Anyone else have this problem.

Comments

• jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Sounds like the rear end ran out of lube. Right now I haven't heard of any of the truck makers having any rear end problems.
  • dubes1dubes1 Member Posts: 7
    I just had the oil changed at the dealership I purchased it from. Rear end lube was all over the street.
    Sounds like they didn't tighten the drain plug and it came off. Sounds like a free fix and an apology.
  • mp_greenmp_green Member Posts: 1
    I am considering which to go with please offer help/opinions.(mp_green@hotmail.com)
  • harrisburgharrisburg Member Posts: 1
    I have a dodge ram 2500 with a v10 engine, just brought back to dealership because there was a problem with the front end of the truck, it just kept sweaking every time I drove it over a bump, it took a body shop almost 3 1/2 weeks to fix the problem. The whole entire front end had to be taking off to find the fix.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    What was the fix? If you know, this could save others countless hours in diagnosing a nuisance problem.
  • brboybrboy Member Posts: 1
    I'm negotiating with a dealership on price and they want to charge a $550 advertising fee for my region. It was on the dealer's invoice they showed me. Has anyone else had this experience of a high advertising fee?
  • turbo5513turbo5513 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 99 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9 last week with 26,000 miles with extended warranty. I was cleaning the K&N air filter, and after reinstalling the filter, the Check Engine light came on. Is there anyway of resetting the check engine light. Every thing seems to be ok? This truck drives great, I sold my 94 Dodge 4x4 5.2 standard cab it had 80k no problems. This new truck has 285 75 R16's really looks good, no Rough idle, or tranny problems yet. Any input on the check engine light would be helpful!!
  • 98dodge98dodge Member Posts: 3
    I know several people that have the K&N in their Rams. It should have nothing to do with the light. One thought is that you put too much oil on it and it dripped on the MAP sensor below it. Might want to check that out.
    As for resetting the light, I think you can just disconnect the battery to reset it. If the problem is still there, the light should come back on. Check this site for great tech data on the Rams:
    http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
    Surviving black ice has more to do with speed, tires, straightness of travel, etc.. than the vehicle itself. When to engage 4wd may also have more to do with experience and driving skill.
  • ncsgtncsgt Member Posts: 1
    Gee thanks, That answered all of my questions about this truck.
  • jeff166jeff166 Member Posts: 1
    Maybe you should not be driving a Full size truck if you don't know how to handle it?
  • johnsogwjohnsogw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 dodge diesel with 43,000 miles and I am on my 3rd new automatic transmission.. I pull a 5-wheel camp trailer that weighs 9000 lbs. I just replaced the last one in Phoenix Arizona while on vacation. On the way home it began slipping in less than 1000 miles.....Is anybody else having any problems with autotransmission????
    All have been under warranty but no answers from dealers as to why.......
  • eneumann1eneumann1 Member Posts: 1
    My brother bought a new 1995 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. A couple of months later and the transmission started to slip. He had it rebuilt and then about a month later, it started to slip again. If he uses the overdrive manually, he can get it not to slip.
    I purchased a new 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad with the diesel. About two months after I got it, it started to slip out of gear when I turned left.
    The dealership was no help, they said that I should wait for the truck to get broke in.
    I'm at about 10,000 miles now, and it still is doing it. Anybody else?
  • dean52dean52 Member Posts: 12
    To try to answer your questions about handling.
    You have to remember your driving over 6000 lbs of truck. It doesn't matter what your driving if you hit ice the only solution is to use 4wd drive and go slow. Usually tires that are made for snow don't do as well in rain. Just remember your not driving a sports car.75 mph in a large truck in wet weather around turns sounds like suicide.
  • jointjobjointjob Member Posts: 1
    Can someone with a 2001 2500 DSL and the Hi-Output & 6 spd (2-wheel drive) tell me about mileage/maintenance? I am stationed in Korea and doing my homework before a possible purchase and was wondering if the mileage is as bad as the gas engines. Any other info on this particular model would also appreciated. Thanks, Alex
  • phhuttphhutt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 1500 sat s. with the 318 engine and 68000miles. When driving in 4wd the drive shaft separated from the rear end with no warning. Truck was very hard to control and bring to stop. Anyone else have this problem???
  • ekoehler2ekoehler2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9 V8. Recently a whining sound has started when I am accelerating, I have taking it to the dealer twice and they have made adjustments to the air filter. Because they thought that it was sucking air and making the sound. None of this has work, has anyone else experienced this? I am really starting to think that my engine is messed up, and the dealership just doesn't want to fix it since it is still under warranty. Also I am debating on getting an extended warranty, any information on the best place to buy and if I should buy one? Thanks!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    that you should check out: Pickups discussion Dodge Ram Problems and Finance/warranty discussion Extended Warranty... or not?

In addition, here's a direct link to Finance/warranty discussion: Talk Directly To 1Source Auto Warranty. Fyi, 1Source auto Warranty is one of Edmund's partners. You'll find the link to their website in Edmund's Consumer Advise section.

Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com Host
    Pickups Message Board
    I have heard that the 360 characteristically makes a whining sound. I would check around a few used car lots in your area and drive one similarly equipped in the same model year. I have done this several times and the information you gain is invaluable as to when the dealer tells you something is "normal". Sometimes it really is.
  • loggie2loggie2 Member Posts: 1
    I own one of the 2000s and have taken it to the dealer a number of times. First and second time was for a rough idle, which they fixed both times by finding a cracked spark plug. The truck now has 13k and I noticed a "thump" when I start out in a slow rolling forward and then then accelerate. Sounds like a top heavy box falls over in the bed. Anyone every hear of that one? Dealer said it's normal. One of the mechanics said he has a Dakota that does that also.
  • bcarwellbcarwell Member Posts: 10
    Is it a 'whining sound' or a kind of a wooshing sound. If the air-cleaner was recently changed, the housing may not have been put back on right.

The air-cleaner has a screwey ring that goes over the opening to the intake manifold.

Even the dealer put it on wrong. It makes a heck-of-a-wooshing noise when accelerating.

Mine did ping but I found a TSB which has the ignition wires moved. No more noises.

Bob C

Otherwise my 5.9L purrs like a kitten.
    If the price is right, I will be trading my 99 quad for an 01 quad with the off-road package. What mileage are you getting with the 3.92 and the 5.9 liter engine. The off-road has the 4.1 rear end, and I know the mileage will be worse than my 5.2 with the 3.55, I just want to know how much. Any info will be great.

Thanks

David
  • justbrow1justbrow1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2001 1500 Quad. I love it, but every time I drive over a bump or a dip in the road, it squeaks right behind my ear. It's starting to drive me crazy, and I can only keep turning up the radio to drown it out for so long. The dealership thinks it may be the new rubber seals on the doors and suggested I give it a few hundred miles to break in. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
  • swampyankeeswampyankee Member Posts: 1
    Justbrow1, I own a 1999 Quad cab and I have the same problem tried a couple of things but
    it didn't help, the noise went away for awhile but just recently came back. I' am getting ready
    to replace my Goodyears, and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions, I have the
    245's on mine, mostly highway travel and an occasional dirt road. Anybody have any suggestions on increasing the gas mileage with my 5.2 I'am getting about 13 mpg, I have put in
    a KN airfilter but that's about it.
  • barbarajobarbarajo Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2000 Quad-cab with the 5.9l engine and the off-road pkg. Average mileage is 12.5mpg. I might squeak out 13.5 on a long highway trip.

One thing to consider about the Off-road package: Only Goodyear makes the LT275/70R17 tire size.
  • justbrow1justbrow1 Member Posts: 4
    I figured out that when I roll the windows down, the squeaking goes away. At least that narrows it down, and the weather's nice anyway!
  • dhpattendhpatten Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the cummins diesel. We pull a 31' Coachmen travel trailer that weighs approximatly 8500 lbs. We get 12-13 MPG on fairly level terrain and 19-21 when running solo. We bought it new and have 18300 miles on it with no complaints.
  • joe230joe230 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the Off Road package...It has the 4.10 Axle ratio...The dealer I was speaking to said that I would not be able to drive the truck over 70 MPH with this axle ratio...Is this true? I do a lot of Highway driving and sometimes it seems it's necessary to drive at higher speeds just to keep with the flow of traffic around here. I like the looks of the off road package and would like to go offroading sometimes...
    Your replies are appreciated,

Thanks,
    Joe
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The 4:10 axle ratio is on the off road package to compansate for the larger tires I dont see any problem with going over 70MPH with that setup, at that speed you should be at about 1800 rpm in OD.
    I run about 2000 rpm at 72 mph with the 3.55. My guess is you will be closer to 2100-2200 with the 4.10 at 70 mph. Can't think of any legitimate reasons why you couldn't drive in excess of 70 in that truck.
  • dean52dean52 Member Posts: 12
    Hey David, Your dealer is full of BS. I have a 2001 QC off-roader. When I get on the highway I always set my cruise on 70 mph. It tachs a little over 2000 at 70. With the 17" tires it makes it a little higher than stock gears,but gives you real good low end power. And to barbarajo comment about only goodyear tires is true, But one good thing is that the 2002 Ram will have 17" tires standard which should open the door for other tire companies to make our size. I put a PRO-FLOW Muffler on it and it sounds as Mean as it looks.
  • dram1dram1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently drive a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD, with the 5.3L and automatic trans. I have been looking at the Dodges recently and I really like the looks of them, especially the off-road package. The stance is awesome and the wheels are very nice. I'm quite unhappy with the Chevy in terms of the rattles and squeaks on the interior. I'd have to say the drivetrain is wonderful, but the rattles are driving me crazy. Plus, the Dodge looks a lot better than the Chevy I think. I was just wondering what the Dodge is like on the inside. I have yet to test drive one and I just want to know from someone who has owned one, how solid it is on the interior. Does it rattle a lot? I have read some reviews that say it is solid and others that say it is worse than the Chevy. Also, can I order the off road package with a manual tranny? I have seen some information that says it only comes with an auto.
    My 99 1500 Quad 4x4 is solid. No rattles. The Quad cab door does squeak when the truck gets in a bind, but that doesn't bother me at all. I drove all three (Dodge, Ford & Chevy) before I bought my truck. The Dodge was by far the most comfortable of all (for me). The seat height was higher than in the Chevy, and about the same as the Ford. The seats are extremely comfortable being very supportive without being too hard. Drive them all before you buy.
    My '98 quad cab 4X4 has no squeaks or rattles. Very tight truck.
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    Just picked one up 2 weeks ago. Love the ride
    and comfort. Had a Taco ma Prerunner that bounced
    me all over and had no room for my little one to
    sit. Plus at 39k the cranny was slipping and tires
    were wearing uneven. Toyota bought the truck back
    and ask if I wanted a other which I did decline.
    Even the Tundra which I thought look cheap inside.
    Besides for comfort and name Toyota I could not
    see spending all that money. Got a great deal on
    the Dodge 23900, 5yrs 75k, 3.9% financing.
  • maxboxmaxbox Member Posts: 1
    after waiting many years, I can now purchase a new truck. always had my heart set on the dodge. will be using it for work and play so reliability and safety are a must since I have a
    newborn which will be riding along. after viewing all of the posts it seems there is a big decline
    in dodge reliability. I had a 84 b250 3/4 ton van. it took a pounding and never quit on me.
    never any major repairs. just maintenance; also why I like dodge trucks. see there are alot of
    issues with brake failure , steering problems, rough idle,tranny slips, you know the rest if you
    are on here regularly. since this will be my first pickup. here are my questions: the model i
    looked at was a 2001 qc, slt, 4x2, 5.2L .i got a price of 21,765 plus tax.that is including
    2000 cash back and 1600 off the sticker price.is this a good price? the upgrade for 4x4=3000.
    are all of these problems poor build quality from dodge or do the other manufacturers have them as well?? any warnings or concerns i should know about?i hear alot of opinion from people who
    don't even own one. i test drove the ford f-150. i prefer the ride of the dodge.never drove the chevy.i just don't want to buy a lemon!! how does the lemon law dealer buy back work?
    this is a big purchase for me and i don't want to be disappointed. ANY ADVICE IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!!!
    THANX
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    In reality you will not go wrong with any make of truck it is more of a preference. I just bought an 01 quadcab and I love it there isnt a thing wrong with it, and I had the same experience with the 98 quadcab I had before. No matter which make you get you have a chance of a lemon.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If it were me, I'd wait for the new 2002 model. It's much improved over the current model, in just about every aspect. It's due out next fall. I don't know if you can wait that long.

If you need a truck now, I'd probably opt for the Chevy (or GMC). I don't care for the styling, but it's been rated very high by every publication that's tested it.

Bob
  • wundaswundas Member Posts: 3
    I looking at buying a new 3/4 ton with the v10 and 355 gears. Does any one have any idea about the reliability of the v10? What about the Automatic transmission? Mileage?

I will not be working the truck very hard.
  • zeke18zeke18 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently bought a 1995 dodge extended cab diesel longbed 4x4. I have a vibration only between 40 and 45 mph. The vibration feels like a tire that is badly out of balance. I have had the tires balanced,shocks replaced,tires rotated and force balanced the second time. Has anyone else had a problem such as this.
  • creativegeniuscreativegenius Member Posts: 1
    here is a fix for your squeeky window,:
    take a soft cloth and spray some silicone lubricant on it. wipe the rubber seal around the
    door jamb and also along the window's upper seal.
    wouldnt hurt to spray a little bit on the lower
    rubber/vynal seal at the bottom of the window when the window is down. Also, after windexing
    the inside/outside of the window, take a little
    bit of silicone on your cloth and wipe across the
    top 1/4 inch of the length of the window. that should prevent squeeks in the future, retreat the
    seal once a month or more if you live in a dry climate.
  • rcagnorcagno Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 2500 quad cab diesel. Ever since day one I have gotten terrible mileage. Before I bought my truck I talked to a lot of people with the cummins diesels. All were getting in the high teens to low 20's mpg. I currently get 11-12 city and 14-15 highway. I called Cummins direct and they said there must be something wrong. I brought it to several dealers in two different states to check it out. The all said I should get better mileage but they didn't now why i wasn't. I wrote numerous letters to Dodge and they refused to do anything. Maybe I should start looking at Ford's.
    Any options??
  • lionmaster1lionmaster1 Member Posts: 3
    Wundas, why are you buying a V-10 if you aren't going to be working it very hard?
    I bought a 2001 1500 quad cab sport package/ off-road package w/5.9 and auto. for $26,400.
    I am very happy with the trucks power and I am averaging 11 mpg city / 13.5 highway (averaging 65-70mph). ***Note (not 13/17 as posted on the window)***
    I don't know first hand about the V-10, but when I asked the fleet manager I bought my truck from about them,( prior to buying my truck) he said that realistically the V-10's average 8 city /10hwy mpg.
    That and the $2,500 to move up to the 3/4 ton (V10 isn't offered in the 1/2 ton) AND the additional cost of the V10 option persauded me to stick with the half ton 5.9.
    Like you I don't work it very hard, occasionally towing a 17' trailer and moving furniture etc.
    Oh, did I mention it turns more heads than any car I've owned since my '67 GT Mustang???
    I LOVE my truck!!!
    PS: Any V-10 owners out there... If my info on the V-10 mileage is inaccurate.. I humbly apologize in advance.
  • calfirecalfire Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with lionmaster1, I've owned my Dodge 1500 Off-Road 4X4 Sport for approximately 3 months. I drive quite a bit of highway miles, and love the ride, power and solid feel. I'm also very impressed with it's off-road capabilities. If you want torque for pulling buy a diesel, otherwise the 5.9L magnum has plenty of power, and with a couple of bolt on performance parts you can easily be at 280-300hp and still get better gas mileage. Plus with the $2000.00 Rebate the price is truly hard to beat.

I Love My Truck !!!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    First, if the 5-speed transmission you are referring to with the 4.7 engine is an automatic, it is NOT an older design. In fact, its rather new (545RFE).

The 360 motor (5.9) should come with a 45RE or 46RE automatic transmission. That is the latest version of a family of transmissions that trace themselves back to the 1960s.

My opinion only, others may disagree. The 360 motor is strong and very durable. It has a reputation for being a torque motor, probably one that it deserves. It is not much more in horsepower than the newer 287 (4.7) engine (235 vs. 250). It is a heavier, cast-iron head, thick-wall design like the 318. Chrysler continues to cam this motor for torque, whether right or wrong. This will likely translate to a thirsty engine at highway speeds.

If your towing requirements are something like 0 to 5% of the time, keep in mind that you will be paying the price in gasoline for this power plant every minute it is operated. If you can afford that cost and want a very good hauler motor when you need it, then by all means it's a good deal.

Personnally I think the 4.7 is more than adequate for towing within the applicable towing range of the vehicle. I've driven 4 new RAM 1500s, one loaded with better than a 1000 pounds and it did fine on hills. Others would want more power.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • babbitbabbit Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to get rid of my '93 Cummins 4X4 (good, reliable truck, just a bit old and I'm not crazy about the automatic) and am seriously considering a newer gas 5 speed Ram 3/4 ton 4X4. I'm not interested in another diesel due to the cost but would like some pointers on bumping up the output of any factory 5.9 - the previous post indicated output 250-300HP up with some boltons. I use the truck to pull a 5th wheel (5000 lbs) and do a bit of offroading so lack of power is a concern.

Does anyone have any comments on towing power of their 5.9 and also any suggestions on performance boltons? Also any comments on the reliability of Chrysler's 5 speed - I heard there were lots of problems with the old 5 speed Getrag's in the diesels.
  • camdudecamdude Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a 99 Dakota SLT club 4x2. I love the truck, however it is not fulfilling my needs. I have two children who currently ride in booster seats and the room is pretty tight. As they grow, it will only get tighter. Anyway, I will eventually be moving to a slightly higher elevation and will be in need of a 4X4. I do not want anything smaller than a 3/4, as for the resale and payload. Here is my delema: When I am at play, I do medium to medium heavy hauling but may need to haul heavy cargo, as per my move. Also with the gas prices soaring in CA, diesel fuel is significantly cheaper. So, I am indecisive as to which brand and type of cumbustible engine. I kind of like the sound of both types, each has its own.... how should I say... (arh arh arh). Its basically power vs torch. Reliability is of utmost importance. I will also be using this mystery vehicle to and from work (8-10), which is a lot of cold runs. I am a little gun shy as to Fords, as I was fixing or repairing daily but they was first on race day. In all fairness, they were not Pickups.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanx
  • 10spot10spot Member Posts: 2
    V10 Reliability

Wundas- I have the Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, SB, V10, Quad Cab, 2wd, 5 spd., 355 gears and LT 265/17 R16 AT OWL tires. It is the new Bright Silver color and it looks sharp. I spent 2 years researching trucks and vans through the internet and product info. I bought it in Nov. and chose this truck for the following reasons:

The V10 vs. V8 gas milage in the 2500 is about the same since the V10 will handle the weight much better.

I could never find any consistant problems with the newer V10s (2000 and up). There were a couple but if there are a lot of them, they generally show up in these forums.

The power is awesome. I hope to have a bay boat and wanted to be able pull that and anything else I MIGHT need to in the future. Actually, I tell people that I have a 4'11" wife and two little dogs that I haul and figure that's a good enough reason. I love the looks on their faces when I say that.

The 5 spd is the most reliable transmission based on all I've read from the supporters on this sight and other sights. It has been around for quite a while. Also, I wanted the low gear with the power and anti-spin to help me on slippery ramps since I couldn't justify the extra cost and maintenance for 4WD.

I wanted a truck that can handle the GVWR that I may ever need. The 2500 is in my range.

I WANTED THE DIESEL!!! but I couldn't justify the cost, front end problems, some 6 spd problems and the extras like guages, etc. that seem to be needed to make sure the engine, etc. isn't damaged.

I got a Chrysler loan for 5.9% which was very good at that time.

I knew the dealer costs through Edmunds and other sources. I told the dealer that I would pay $300 above those costs and they agreed. I paid $25,334 with the following options: 27G pkg., Trl. Tow pkg., Trvl. Conv. Grp., Rear Seat Storage, Anti-spin Diff., Rem. Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Security Alm. and the tires. If anyone lives in Jacksonville, FL., go to Orange Park Dodge. Ask for Clinton Pack or Tom Conn. They are very good.

So far I love this truck! I don't drive it hard either. I have a little over 4000 miles on it and get a consistant 12 mpg (city/hwy), give or take .2-.3 mpg. Since I live in Jacksonvile, it is flat so that helps.

I hope this helps. Take care.

Bill
This discussion has been closed.