Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Prices Paid and Buying Experience

cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
Forum to post discuss current Offers, Rebates, and to share deals on Tribeca Purchases.

Comments

• subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I have a 7 Pass Ltd. Blue Pearl/Grey
    Nav, Puddle Lights, Tow Package, Protection Group, Auto Dim Mirror, Shock Sensor, Rear Cargo Net and winter mats.

I paid $1K over dealer invoice without the tow package and got the tow package at no cost. I then put it on a 36 month lease, at 469.00 per month + 5% monthly use tax (it's titled in Wisconsin). I paid only the first month lease - no down.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Seacrest Green 7 Pass LTD Gray. NAV/DVD Puddle Lights, Popular Equp Group 1, Cargo Tray, Luggage cover, Cargo Net.

I paid $500.00 over invoice on a purchase not lease. About $2,700 off of MSRP.
  • wvroadswvroads Member Posts: 23
    Silver 5 pass LTD. Puddle lights and rear bumper cover. Paid Invoice which was $30,780. I got the VIP pricing through my employer.

I added the auto dimming mirror with compass, the front bumper cover, 2 cargo nets, and the cargo tray for about $280 after I bought the car...ordered them online and installed myself.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    I have been shooting for invoice, so far the closest is Inv plus $600. the highest was invoice plus $1400 and no negotiating! I said ok thanks but no thanks !
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    I checked all the dealers around my area. Prices range from MSRP-$1000, Invoice+$700 (fitzmall.com), Invoice+$600 and finally negotiated with one dealer for Invoice+$500.
    Anyone find out what the invoice is for the 60k and 100k extended warranties? I get them because I sell my cars at about 50 or 60k and its a nice selling feature to be able to give a warranty with the used car.
  • dbjonesdbjones Member Posts: 5
    Black 7 pass w/DVD (should have gotten the NAV... dam!), tow package, useless back cover, rack. $450 over invoice, can't remember the exact total, but I did internet search and brought in invoice price (which matched dealers), not much haggling needed, very happy with this car.
  • njdevils1njdevils1 Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in leasing a 5 passenger ltd msrp is 33300. The dealerships final offer was $398.00 per month for 36 with 15k miles and $2000 down. Would like to know if this sounds like a good deal. This is my first time leasing a vehicle.
    That is a bad deal.

First you need to understand that if you buy or lease, you still must negotiate the price. Dealers tend to use the trick that your monthly payments are lower with a lease - so the price does not matter. IT MATTERS.

The 2K down equals 55.55 per month fpr 36 months (not counting the loss of interest you could have earned) - so your effective payment is now 453.55 per month What about sales or use tax is that included in the 398.00.

Your credit score will effect things also.

I have excellent credit and my lease on a pretty much loaded 7 pass ltd with nav & tow is 469.00 a month with zero down plus about 27 a month use tax. So effectively my lease is only 16 dollars more than your adjusted lease payment & my sticker was almost 37,000. vs your 33,000. I negotiated a price of 1000 over dealer invoice

So as you can see price and terms a very important.

Remember at the end of the lease you do not own the car.

If you keep your cars for more than 3 years you shouldn't lease?
    Thank you for your quick and informative response it was very helpful. Though I unfortunitly left out some important information.

The $398 monthly payment does include taxes and the $2000.00 down includes the first payment. The selling price for the car is at invoice. Also this price includes 15K miles not 12K. Sorry for leaving out this important information. Though I still feel I can do better and plan on shopping around.

How do you like your Tribeca?
  • jimmmmbojimmmmbo Member Posts: 20
    It would be easier for us if you could break down the $2000 down a little more. Does it include the doc fee and license fees?

Here's my estimate for you: For a $33,300 MSRP, vehicle sold at invoice of $30800 + $275 advertising fee (usually non-negotiable) + $350 doc fee and $350 license fee, the overall purchase price would be $31775. Applying $2000 to this minus the first monthly payment brings the capitalized cost down to $30173. The current residual and money factor on a Tribeca 5pass LTD 15K lease is 61% and 0.00175. This gives $377/mo before taxes. Add your sales tax to this number and you have your payment. You didn't say where you lived and what you're sales tax rate is. Where I live, the tax rate is 6.5%, so the payment here would be $401.

If you didn't pay the doc and license fees separate from the $2000 down, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal. As mentioned earlier, it's best to know what the car's selling price actually is. Makes it much easier.
    I really like it a lot.

I came out of a much more expensive car (Infiniti Q45) and there are few options that I would have liked for the B9 but at the price, it is an incredible value. Minus a few toys from my Q - the Tribeca cost me almost 25K less and is a lot more fun and unique.

If you go to kbb.com or Edmunds.com both offer tools where you build the car you want with the options and the site will allow you to print a report that you take to the dealer which shows: the MSRP (window sticker), Dealer Invoice (what they pay)

Shop around and let them know you have the numbers. I would start by telling them that I would pay X dollars over their cost. Normally I start at $500.00 if I am new customer. If a repeat customer, start at zero over cost. They still make money even on a zero deal.

Also ,be willing to travel some distance maybe a 100 miles or so away. Those dealers are more likely to deal since in a way you are plus business that they normally would not get. Remember you can still take you car to the local dealer for warranty and service - you do not have to bring it to the selling dealer.

If a distant dealer gives a great deal then take to the local dealer and say better this price and I will buy from you. Be prepared to take the deal if they will at least match it - if not buy from the distant dealer.
    I also leased my 7-seat Ltd w/ Nav for 3 years 15K/year. The final lease payment with everything included is 396/mo with 3500 down from my trade-in. The reason I put so much down is to keep payment under $400. With $2000 down, it is around $430/mo I think.

BTW, my dealer told me almost all the Tribecas they sold are leased. If that's the case, the market value of the car after 3 years won't be good.
    "BTW, my dealer told me almost all the Tribecas they sold are leased. If that's the case, the market value of the car after 3 years won't be good."

Actually, this can be a good thing for people who lease now. At the end of the lease term, you can negotiate with the lease company (Chase Manhattan, I think?) to purchase at a lower price than the original lease residual value, making the vehicle all that much cheaper in the end should you decide to keep it. Otherwise, you've still rented the car for only 4.2% interest for 3 years with a guaranteed 61% residual value, which is pretty good for a brand new model.
    I know. That's one more reason I leased mine.
  • harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    We want to buy the Tribeca and are thinking about leasing--our first time not buying. But New York has a different way of leasing. You actually own the car and have the title, not the leasing company. Has something to do with law suits against the dealer and manufacturers who were sued for accidents that happened with leased vehicles.

Any one have any words of advice about leasing in New York?

Also, we've heard the term "money factor". Can someone explain this and do you want a high or low number?

thanks.
    It's my first time lease as well. If I remembered correctly, money factor = interest rate / 2400. Of course it should be as low as possible. The special lease deal SOA offers is pretty decent. It's money factor is 0.00175. I saw most others are over 0.0020.
    The New York structure sounds like a similar financing option some brands use here in Illinois to get around our goofy sales tax on leases.

Basically it's like normal financing say 36 like a lease. With a lease there is a risidual value for the car at the end of lease with the NY plan it is probably a baloon loan where after 36 six months the balance owed is about the same as if you leased. You then have the option of turning the car in just like a lease, keeping it and pay off the baloon or fiance the balnce.

There isis one basic advantage of the baloon structure maybe 2.

First since you own the car it is easier to get out of the deal early because you own the car, so if you can sell it for whats owed you are out clean or at an acceptable loss. With a lease you are pretty locked for the duration without taking a really big hit.

There maybe a second advantage. Here in Illinois with the baloon structure there is no vehicle acquistion fee which usually saves about $650.00.

The problem is that if you expense the vehicle for tax purposes, you may not be able to deduct the full monthly payment as you can in a lease. If that's the case then you have to depreciate the car which results in a smaller tax break.

Hope this helps.
  • pdxbobpdxbob Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 7 passenger B9 in Portland last month. The dealer marked up the car by $4500 OVER MSRP as a "market adjustment." I thought I did well to get the car at MSRP although after what I've read here, I'm sure I could have done alot better.

It was a miserable buying experience: I knew more about the vehicle than did the salesman (although, to be fair, it was the first or second week on the market). To get me to drive the vehicle home that night, they did everything but kidnap me and hold me for ransom. They low balled the trade in by $2000 from blue book and then worked up from there. Only when I told them the deal wasn't working for me and stood up to walk out, did they make any concessions. They also played the "let me check with my boss" game constantly.

After we agreed to a price and what they would give me for my trade in, I told them I'd leave a deposit and come back in two days with my old car cleaned out and a a cashiers check to pay the remainder on the car. That sent them into a frenzy as they said the deal was good only for that night. They wanted me to sign my old car over on the spot, sign loan documents (I was financing only $12k, paying cash for the rest), and then follow me home to pick up the check.

My mistakes:
    Walking in not prepared to deal (I had come in to look at it a second time)

Not being prepared to talk specifics on financing.

Saying up front that there was no way I was going to sign any papers without one night to think about it.

Going alone: have someone to give you a reality check constantly and keep you from getting to enamored with the car.

I'm very happy with the B9 but you ought to feel good about buying a new car, and this left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Even though the dealer is only 10 minutes away, I'll drive across town to another dealer for maintenance and I'll never recommend them to anyone.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    complain to SoA(subaru of america) & i think you can return the car in 30 days. please inquire into this.

Give bad feedback about the dealer when SoA sends the survery
    That's a real bad experience. But unfortunately it is a quite common practice among car dealerships, Subaru or not. My experience is never walk in to talk prices or anything else. Negotiate via phone or email put much more pressure on sale person than you. My last three purchases are all through this way.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    That's a lie. Not all tribecas sold are leased. That dealer must like leasing.
    WOW. that dealer sucks. Did you end up buying the car from them? I would stay away from them even if they are the last Subaru dealer on Earth.
    I went to a dealer on Sat. in the NY/NJ area and i loved the experience. It was the best new car purchase experience I had. Saturn came in second. The sales person and sales manager were super friendly and they gave me invoice +$200 or $400 without me even asking. I think that is reasonable giving its a 2006 and are selling like hotcakes. I wanted a Limited 7 pass w/nav. I have to wait for like 2 months, which is ok.
    Dealers usually give better pricing for factory order than the cars on their lot.
    My dealership in NJ made me an offer I feel is pretty good and would like to see what you think. They offered me a 7 Pass LTD sticker price 35,271 selling price is 32,685. With 2,000 down including all fees and first payment the monthly payment is 414.00including taxes. This is for 36mon and 15k miles.
    WIth a handle like njdevils1 I refuse to answer! :) Being a Flyers fan I simply cannot imagine helping the ENEMY! ;)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    When you the 2K cover i payment and all fees, what fees are they talking about and what about sales tax?
    The fees include licensing, reg, doc fee, and whatever else there is. NJ 6% sales tax is included in the monthly payments. No other cost besides the $2000.00 which includes the first month payment.
    As hockey fans we need to all stick together, except Ranger fans, or we may not have a sport.
    Mine is 7-seat Ltd w/ Nav. Sale price $34,811. Sticker price $36,xxx. After 3,500 down, my leasing come out as $396/mo for 3-year 15k/year with all the fees and taxes included. VA sales tax on vehicles is 3%. With 2,000 down, the lease payment is about $42x/month if I remembered correctly.
    It sounds like you made a pretty good deal.

The thing I hate about car buying is you never know if you got screwed or if was a fair deal. I often wish there was a federal law that required fixed pricing on cars.

It like the airlines - there are always people who a lot less and the poor shnooks who got hosed.

OH well - thats life

Enjoy your Beca
    If your dealer is using the special lease deal from SOA, it should come out pretty much the same. The money factor is 0.00175 and residual value is 61%. You can use the caculator tool in edmunds.com to estimate for yourself.
    I went to 2 different dealers in NJ area. Both quoted 34.4K to 34.6K So i guess that's the 'normal' range. I think they can be a little if u are serious.
    Yup!
    anyone yet know or seen a source to find:

Anyone find out what the invoice is for the 60k and 100k extended warranties? I get them because I sell my cars at about 50 or 60k and its a nice selling feature to be able to give a warranty with the used car.
    "...7 Pass LTD sticker price 35,271 selling price is 32,685. With 2,000 down including all fees and first payment the monthly payment is 414.00including taxes. This is for 36mon and 15k miles. ... The fees include licensing, reg, doc fee, and whatever else there is. NJ 6% sales tax is included in the monthly payments. No other cost besides the $2000.00 which includes the first month payment."

With the numbers you gave, and estimating that your license and doc fees add up to about $750, I got a lease payment of about $403/mo. They may have marked up the mf on you a bit, although that's usually limited. More likely, they have some significant fees in there that I'm not seeing. Can you break down your license/registration/doc fees and any others? They should be on your contract. Also, what does the contract say the capitalized cost and residual value are?

Note, we probably shouldn't spend much time on this, as it's a better topic for the lease questions forum. Don't want to upset the forum moderator. ;)
  • kflkfl Member Posts: 22
    Latest Subaru offering seems to be the employee pricing, meaning, you pay invoice, exactly like Subaru employees. Don't know how good that really is since most dealerships say that anyway. I think they are trying to compete with the GM, etc., discount offerings.

I am leaning toward the purchase of a 5 passenger ltd.

Anyone have anything to add on this. Anyone know of a great dealer in the Chicagoland area.
    More likely, they have some significant fees in there that I'm not seeing.

6% NJ sales tax which is almost $2000
    Anyone have anything to add on this. Anyone know of a great dealer in the Chicagoland area.

I don't know what is considered great, but i got my 7 pass ltd for effectively 450 over cost. I say effectively because I actually got the Beca for $1000 over cost and the dealer threw in the Tow Package and Cargo Net. It has: nav, protection group, puddles, auto dim mirror, shock sensor, cargo net, tow package.

36 mo lease, 12K per year, $55 Documentation fee, 650 acquisition fee., $15 Temp tags, Zero down, No Security deposit. Paid only first payment 469 + 5% Wisconsin use tax on the monthly payment.

I live Chicago but title in Wisconsn and save a boatload on tax.

My dealer is Mid City Subaru on Irving Park Rd.
    6% NJ sales tax which is almost $2000.

Ah, is this the funky lease deal where you actual retain the title on the car yourself but it's still considered a lease?
    Does that matter? Sales tax still apply in most places. Although you don't own the car, you still have to pay every expense occurred to it.
    Mid City on Irving Park Road ..... in Wisconsin....or Irving Park Road somewhere near O'Hare. I did not know you could purchase a car in Wisconsin and title it in Wisconsin. Don't you have to have a 'home' address in the state where you title.

Thanks.
    Standard leases only charge sales tax on the monthly payment, not on the upfront negotiated sales price. So if your monthly contribution to depreciation is $300, and the rent charge is $100, then you pay tax on the sum of the two. So, a 6% sales tax is applied to $400 every month, making the payment $424. If you buy the lease out, then you have to pay sales tax on the residual value of the vehicle. If you just turn the lease in, then there's no sales tax owed.
    ... at $500 over invoice, no negotiating required. Asked and received. 7 pass LTD, no nav or DVD. Did it with email only. Painless. Thank God for the electronic frontier! :shades:

This is in Minneapolis.
    Mid City : 4444 W Irving Park - Chicago (between Pulaski and Cicero)

I leased/purchased the car in Chicago and titled it in Wisconsin. Just return from DMV as a matter of fact. The first benny is the tax savings. 5% vs 9%, no city lease tax (25 per month I think) no city sticker $75.00 and less chance of getting a speeding ticket in Wisconsin since the police there then to single out Illinois cars.

But the tax difference is even greater than 4% if you lease. In IL on a lease you are charged sales tax on the total capitalized cost of the car (the selling price) then at the end of lease if you want to buy the car you have to pay the sales tax again on the residual amount.

Wisconsin is like many states they way they treat leases. My total lease payments (469 x36) amount to $16,884. That is the amount I am taxed on not the approx $35,000 cost of the car. Not only is tax a lot less but you pay it monthly, so it is not even built into the the lease where the money factor is applied.

They are also very acomodating, as long as you know some one there, you use that address on the form for where the vehicle will be garaged, but you can still list your Illinois address for the mailing address and every will come to your home or office.

Hope that helps
    Thank you for all thaat information subienewbie2. Living in Chicago can be a real financial pain for car owners, especially with the City stickers and the tax. You learn something new every day. Thank you again!
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I paid $1000 off MSRP which still amounted to just over $2000 over invoice and the $1000 was only given because my initial pre order didnt' come with puddle lights. They said noone else got anything below MSRP. I wasn't real happy with the deal though hearing ppl paid just over invoice and I let them know. They threw in wheel locks and rear bumper cover which didn't amount to much.

Even after I wrote them repeated emails about being disappointed in the price and possibly taking it elsewhere for additional options and service all they did was give me %20 off 4 additional options, which, with installation was still over $500 more business I gave them when I was actually looking to receive almost 1800 in options and service for free in addition to the 2 options thrown in to get the final price to match teh $200 over invoice another local dealer told me over the phone they could give me.

Obviously I shouldn't have signed and agreed in the first place, and then shouldn't have agreed to the measly %20 off add'l options bone they threw me. But I was already there to get the 2 free options installed and the best another dealer that I didn't buy the vehicle at would do is maybe closer to invoice on the options plus installation cost plus I really wanted/needed the splash guards etc. that day before i went on a weekend trip so I gave in since they at least gave me something.

I still feel ousted that especially being that I only was asking them to make up $1800 - the 2 options they threw in so like 1700 something to match the other dealers offer and again instead gave them an extra $500 something of business.

Should I let SOA know I am not happy with the deal I received in the survey and see about the returning vehicle for full purchase price (minus miles I assume) while I'm still within 30 days?

It might be hard to find the exact vehicle I am looking for (colors, options etc) even though the dealer that quoted me has almost the same vehicle I believe but no DVD which I originally didn't think i needed and expected orig dealer to discount because i had to take a pricey option i didn't want as it was the cloest to what I was looking for that could be found. Now I've gotten used to it and especailly teh rear rca jacks for portable mp3 plyr. minor but also i dont know if new vehicle will have the cool pin stripe that mine came with as a surprise.

Also, original dealer is still honoring my pre order gift of the portable XM sat radio and installation supposedly which I would prob miss out on if I am somehow able to return and buy for a better price elsewhere. Plus I already took off the Subaru lettering off the back (though i guess could be put back on as a i saved it).

Bottom line I prob want to keep my current vehicle but just get something back to make up for overpaying which the only thing now would be consideration on future service otherwise I will definatley take it to another dealership and wont be forced to use them as i was when getting the 2 options and didn't feel like going to another Subie dealership that day before a weekend trip.

So, I will see what they can do on service/maintenace otherwise I will take elsewhere and i will let SOA know I wasn't happy in teh survey.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    how would you like it if you sold your used car and then the buyer started complaining about the price they paid and wants some money returned?

how would you like it if the dealer felt they gave you too big of a discount and wanted more money from you.

you made a deal.

unhappy? become a better prepared buyer next time.
    Glad I could help.