Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    So the problem was that people are stupid. Classic.
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    True,

but it goes to show how much Mazda wants this car to succeed,
    anyway, this whole fake clutch thing is ridiculous to begin with, I have one on my other car, hardly ever use it, if you want a stick buy a manual!
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    won't have this problem? Hmmmm. Seems to me you could hear the engine scream if it was in 2nd gear and going 65mph, even if you couldn't see the tachometer redlining.

I wonder if I'll have to get one of these "don't drive stupidly" stickers to get my car back.
  • rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    Good find smaria.

I took mine into the dealer last Friday and I really didn't want to. I had a strong suspicion there was no real defect, but I bought into the culture of fear and left my car like most of the rest of you did.

If it really is as the press release states, I am getting quite agitated. Not at Mazda, but at the ignorant drivers who don't know the difference between manual shift mode and conventional mode. More importantly, it appears these drivers fit my notion of why I feel manual transmissions are safer than automatics - it is more difficult to tune out when driving a manual.

Did I mention I cannot stand my rental MPV? It's large and unwieldy and not nearly as economical as my '5. I also don't like Enterprise, they treat their customers like children.

It's then probably a good bet that the reasons behind the fires would explain why no European or Japanese versions would need to be recalled since almost all of their '5's sold are equipped with manual transmissions (at least in Europe anyway).

I wholeheartedly agree with a recent poster who admonished drivers that if they wanted the experience of a manual, they should have bought one.

I sure hope this information is dissememated to dealers quickly.
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    Anybody else feel like going to the dealer and demanding their car back? I think I'm more concerned about the knee-jerk quick-fix than the potential for fire now.
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Supposedly, the 3 reported fires appeared to have started around the left rear bumper (assume muffler area). I know that fires travel, but isn't that fire too close to the gas tank? Now, the cat has its own heat shield; the muffler usually doesn't. Hmmmm? A heat shield around (halfway, at least) the muffler?

On the other hand, Mazda 5's are flame throwers (50's era). Though I doubt Mazda will market it as such.
  • gibbergibber Member Posts: 41
    Even though running the car in 2nd at highway speeds is a bit stupid, it is my belief that a car should be capable of being operated at redline for a pretty much indefinte amount of time, especially at highway speed where cooling the engine shouldn't be a problem. And why only the automatics? Couldn't you go ahead and run the manual in second the same way(maybe the gear ratios are different). Also, they said "it is possible" regarding the fires, revealing some uncertainty.
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    "but at the ignorant drivers who don't know the difference between manual shift mode and conventional mode"

I wish you could exercise a little caution in how you judge people. Why are we so quick at criticizing drivers when the major culprit here is none other than Mazda for failing to implement what seems to me standard safety measures to prevent a FIRE when it's vehicles are driven improperly? If Mazda had done it's job right, only these three people would have been inconvenienced not all of us which is the major gripe here.

If you have driven the AT which I have and used the shiftronic you will understand that the errors by these people were not as idiotic as some of the posters here would like to think. I myself have experienced it once and believe me if you had left the gear in the shiftronic mode in 2nd gear you will hardly notice because the engine is so quiet. I have also driven for more than 30 years, 25 years of these on stick shifts, never had an accident in my life, not even dents. Does that make me one of those ignorant and stupid drivers too?
  • thebull1thebull1 Member Posts: 2
    Yep so does anyone else feel we should be getting something for this inconvience. I don't know some free excessories for the car sound good to me. Also I don't know about you but i bought my car in New Jersey and if the car is in service for more than 20 days under the lemon law i am entitled to a full refund just some food for thought. :lemon:
  • thebull1thebull1 Member Posts: 2
    My thoughts exactly.
    If this sounds like an attack, I apologize in advance. I just read some of these posts and wonder what people are expecting from an auto manufacturer. While I respect the opinion that we shouldn't judge these "idiotic" drivers, I can't imagine how a car company can engineer driver error out and guarantee that nobody will do something recklessly dangerous while behind the wheel. Audi paid a price for the "unintended acceleration" issue decades ago even though that turned out to be operator error. Mazda might be in for some of the same, but I will stand behind them until they do something to break my trust. Mazda has done everything they can to keep customers happy during this unfortunate situation. The dealers haven't always handled things smoothly, but that's not really Mazda's fault. I love my 5 and can't see how anybody can blame Mazda for such inattentiveness by an owner. Anybody remember when a certain soda manufacturer was successfully sued because their bottles broke and injured a customer while using it as a launch pad for a bottle rocket? Personal responsibility for one's own actions is a huge problem in our society today and I hate to see this lead to even more abuse of our legal system. And for those who are using this as an excuse to mollify their buyer's remorse, remember that it has only been 12 days so far if you brought it in on the Friday the story broke. And the "fix" appears to be making sure the driver is aware of how to use their transmission and gauges. :) One other thing, automatic transmissions tend to run a lot hotter than manuals. I've actually had aftermarket tranny coolers installed on a couple of my old cars because of known issues with heat buildup. I'm not sure how that effects heat in the exhaust, exactly, but my guess is that they are related.
    I don't understand you guys. Shouldn't we be thanking those poor fellows instead who burned their cars to expose a flaw in the Mazda 5? If this weren't so why would Mazda implement all these fixes. To me it just goes to show that they overlooked this fact about the heat build-up possibly leading to fire. If they had just done their research and testing well enough they could have anticipated this problem by installing the heat shield, recalibrate the ECU and put warning stickers before bringing the car out.

What I'm saying here is Mazda has already owned up to this problem. The fact that they implemented the fixes is an admission that they screwed up. Let's stop slagging the "guinea pigs". People make mistakes.
    I'm not really criticizing Mazda. The are doing the right thing, although it must be costly. Why even have the "M" mode-I agree with an earlier poster that you should get a manual if you want to shift yourself. The manual mode seems like the worst of both worlds, you have to shift and it slips at the same time. When its a Ferrari style automatic clutch maybe. Seems like a stupid fad.
    Lets grab a dozen or so cars in the same category from domestics to foreign and see what happens when redline is reached at highway for an indefenite period of time (though 30 minutes will suffice). And just in case that isn't amusing enough, turn on the criuse control for good measure (probably what happened in the 3 cases)

The new label will read: PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
    Lots of cars have this type of transmission and they're called by different names, Shiftronic, Manumatic, Sportronic, Tiptronic, Getrag Command Shift. They may not be essential but they're there and they can serve a purpose like you wanting to shift earlier to overtake a car rather than punch the accelarator which I notice in my Mazda 5 is a bit of a jolty affair. The Mazda 5's however doesn't slip. It works fine.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    In my opinion, anything that a Mazda dealer does IS Mazda's fault. As a customer, I don't car if it's Mazda the dealer or Mazda the company...it's all Mazda. That's like complaining about a McDonalds but saying that...well the fries overall are good, but the ones at this McDonalds stink, but it's not McDonalds fault but only the fault of this particular franchise. I think that there SHOULD be some level of standardization between dealer and if there isn't, that's Mazda's fault. So if the information isn't flowing from Mazda the factory to Mazda the dealer, then Mazda the company should be critized.
    LOL. See, that's the problem right there. You see this as a "flaw" that Mazda "overlooked." I see this as an example of a few ignorant drivers who abused their vehicles. Are you really saying that Mazda (and every other manufacturer) needs to test their vehicles at redline in every gear for extended periods of time? And that no amount of heat buildup in that situation is acceptable.

The owners' manual explains the proper function of the gearshift and the gauges and that should be adequate. For these few, it wasn't. Mazda, rather than admitting a design flaw, is apparently having to take steps to retrain drivers and protect them from themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a new testing procedure for all new cars and increased prices for consumers.
    I see your point, but I totally disagree. You would give up on a unique, versatile, and exciting product because the store that sells it is poorly managed? That just hurts YOU. Using your example of McDonald's, most people would drive another mile down the road and get theirs there instead.

Of course dealers need to be held accountable, and they are when franchise reviews occur, but we have another option rather than giving up on a good product. We can go to another dealer for our next purchase or service, or we can tell the dealer what happened and give them a chance to make amends. Holding the company accountable means you will have to go to another vehicle from another manufacturer and accept second best.
    "And that no amount of heat buildup in that situation is acceptable. "
    If you've read my previous posts it was clear that I was referring to the FIRE not the heat buildup per se. A heat buildup leading to a FIRE is not acceptable. From where I stand this is a major flaw.

"Mazda, rather than admitting a design flaw, is apparently having to take steps to retrain drivers and protect them from themselves"
    You think Mazda would order such a major recall for something that they think is not their fault? Spend so much money and risk their reputation because of somebody else's fault? And after going through a financial crises that almost broke them? Last time I heard, a recall is an acknowledgement by the auto company of a defect/s in their vehicle and their express willingness to fix it/them.

"I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a new testing procedure for all new cars and increased prices for consumers."
    I think you're assuming too much here. How do you know that other car companies aren't already doing this and haven't factored all this in their costs?
    It just seems like a waste, a marketing gimmick. I know a guy who had an older Audi with this feature. Transmission failed and the bill was $8K. He didn't bother to fix it and got rid of the car.. IMO, automatic transmissions are the #1 reliability problem for most cars, as far as frequency of failure coupled with cost of repair, so the simpler the better. Also, all automatics slip(compared to a manual).
    I hope Mazda recovers nicely from this. I've always liked their cars, and the 5 seems like a trendsetter. Why can't GM produce something so clever(belongs to another thread)?
    I totally agree. The simpler the better. But we have to admit that an automatic transmission does have its place. It's a sensible alternative for people who have no time to learn the manual or simply too scared to try.
  • somanyturnssomanyturns Member Posts: 1
    Contrary to the perception in some posts in this forum, we just received a letter from Mazda Canada recalling our 2 week old Mazda 5 GT with the manual transmission. It states that:"the exhaust system could have a safety-related problem that may cause a fire." It's gone for up to a month apparently.

So much for the theory of no recall in Europe or in this case Canada because of manual transmissions.

Will be interested if people do get other perks like a roof rack for their troubles.
    I think it is a good thing that Mazda is being honest, up front and acting quickly. An inconvenience for us...certainly! But better than the other alternatives, I would say.
  • dabatmandabatman Member Posts: 25
    I just spoke to my salesman.... I didn't buy the mazda5 yet... but I sold my car and went to the lot to by it the next day... I had already dealt with Jay at Bour Mazda Scranton PA and we made a deal that as soon as I sell my Honda Odyssey, I would pick up the Mazda 5 at $500 under invoice (touring with auto for $18300)... it fits my needs precisely.. the price is fantastic... there is no other vehicle out there with 3 rows of seats and 25+ mpg.. I commute 120 miles a day and we have 3 kids who would rather 3 rows.. since they have been raised in a Honda Odyssey (16 mpg)

The salesman GAVE us a new MPV while we wait for the recall fix to be in.. that's NO CAR PAYMENT... NO DEPRECIATION.... NO WEAR AND TEAR... I just hope Mazda fixes this problem so I can get the Mazda5... I know they would probably give us the MPV for the darn near the same price if Mazda pulls the car... but I'd rather the 5, even though it's less vehicle...

Maybe people who are complaining shoulda done a better job dealing...
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I really like my Mazda 5 but I must admit that my Mercedes has a better design for the auto-to- manual shift. The Mercedes auto stick is always forward and back. Tor the manual shift requires a side to side motion, either left or right, and after the manual shift the stick returns to the automatic position. In the Mazda it can stay in the manual gear that you have selected. I realize that in the M5 you also put the stick in the gate to the side for manual but somehow it is easy to slip it in there whereas in the Mercedes it doesn't happen by mista. The big difference is that it returns to the auto
    position after a manual shift.
    By the way, a new Mazda memo to dealers as of 9/27 states that the fix will be available to dealers at the end of October. I think I'll push to have the dealer release my car so that I can garage it until it is time for the fix to take place and meanwhile I can use the rental. I don't like the idea of having the car subjected to the elements for another month without ever being able to turn over the engine, even if I can't actually take it on the road. My dealer is contacting Mazda about this possibility.
    "Contrary to the perception in some posts in this forum, we just received a letter from Mazda Canada recalling our 2 week old Mazda 5 GT with the manual transmission. It states that:"the exhaust system could have a safety-related problem that may cause a fire." It's gone for up to a month apparently.

So much for the theory of no recall in Europe or in this case Canada because of manual transmissions."

You obviously have not been paying close attention. The recall is for ALL North American Mazda5's regardless of transmission type. That is why I received a recall notice, eventhough like you, I have a MT. Also, all Mazda5's sold in North America are virtually the same (trim names are different and for some strange reason A/C is an option in Canada). I don't know what the Canadian breakdown is for manual vs. automatic, but I am quite positive it is much closer to the USA's 20:80 (appx) than Europe's 80:20 so my theory is not debunked.
    I said
    "but at the ignorant drivers who don't know the difference between manual shift mode and conventional mode"

isda65 said:
    I wish you could exercise a little caution in how you judge people. Why are we so quick at criticizing drivers when the major culprit here is none other than Mazda for failing to implement what seems to me standard safety measures to prevent a FIRE when it's vehicles are driven improperly? If Mazda had done it's job right, only these three people would have been inconvenienced not all of us which is the major gripe here.

isda65 later said:
    I have also driven for more than 30 years, 25 years of these on stick shifts, never had an accident in my life, not even dents. Does that make me one of those ignorant and stupid drivers too?

You obviously have misread my statement and taken it out of context. First, I never used the word stupid. I used the word ignorant. One definition of ignorant is not knowing the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge. For instance, I am ignorant when it comes to reading Russian, does that make me stupid? Of course not.

I am sorry I offended you, you took the statement a little too close to the heart. However, now that I have explained myself, I will not back down from my earlier statement that those drivers were likely ignorant to the workings of manual shift mode most likely because all they have ever known about driving is put the car in "D" and go.

Like you, I too accidentally left my rental Mazda6 in 2nd or third gear for a minute or two until I heard the high revs. I quickly corrected my mistake. I am sure when you realized your vehicle was left in 2nd gear you quickly corrected your mistake too - mainly because you're an experienced driver, and you are also a driver who knows how to operate a manual transmission, so your ear is atuned to a high revving engine and you also know how to read a tachometer. I seriously doubt you drove in 2nd for an indefinite amount of time. I wouldn't be at surprised if the guilty parties were ALWAYS driving in 2nd gear, exacerbating the problem.

Keep in mind, many drivers who have no idea (read ignorant) how to operate a stick shift also have no clue (again, read ignorant) whatsoever about tachometers, let alone having an ear that knows when it is the proper time to change gears.

As you admonished me, I wish you too would exercise a bit of caution and not jump to misinformed conclusions before replying to posts.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... is an example of Mazda's philosophy on how to handle a recall. "Get 'er done," as Larry the Cable Guy says.

Now, here's an example (from a supposedly more prestigious European brand, recently acquired by GM) of how not to handle a recall. Take note of why the recall is being carried out (i.e., was it the manufacturer's decision or were they ordered to do it?) and then note how quickly they're planning to resolve the issue for their customers. Now, whose customer would you rather be?

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh20395_2005-09-29_08- - - -01-05_l29367510_newsml

Sure, Mazda could just let you guys keep driving your 5's and keep its fingers crossed while they get the solution designed and out to dealers. After all, an exhaust fire can't be any more dangerous than having the entire car shut down -- power brakes, steering and all -- at highway speeds, right? There might be a few examples of fires, but you'd probably see the smoke and pull over before the entire car was engulfed in flames. Take Saab's approach, Mazda. You don't want to inconvenience anyone. :surprise:

Meade
  • b_x20852b_x20852 Member Posts: 12
    Automatic transmission definitely has its place. I have driven cars with the manual one for more than 16 years before I tried the automatic, and I just love it! Not that I am too lazy to push pedals and shift the stick, but it is so-o-o-o convenient when you have to spend 1-2 hours daily in stop-n-go traffic...

BTW, never had problems with slip...
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    OK, now we have discussed great things about Mazda5, criticized our driving styles and surprisingly enough Mazda already mentions that they have found the problem rather quickly...

NOW, How can we get all this forum members' energy together and focus on putting pressure on Mazda to design/distribute the part(s) ASAP so we can get our cars back? Through the dealers? Through the CEO? A march or a rally? :)

3 weeks to design, distribute and install whatever part it is to 2700+ cars sounds a little bit aggressive (mine has been in the shop for a week already). In addition, I would push to install these parts on already owned cars first rather than the ones the dealer wants to close a sell on :surprise:

Does anyone have connections in Mazda to at least know more detailed time lines? My loaner is an MPV but nothing to do with the 5!
    I think Mazda should offer everyone an extended warranty.
  • fabsfabs Member Posts: 3
    I would say extended warranty plus a Mazda voucher for the accessory of your choice.
    Well if you issue sweeping statements like "but at the ignorant drivers who don't know the difference between manual shift mode and conventional mode" you invite reactions ESPECIALLY if there is no detailed information regarding WHO those drivers were and what preceding events led to the incidences. I know the meaning of the word "ignorant". Thank you. It's not about that word that is at issue here. It's about how you used it to make a conclusion. It's about YOU making a conclusion that those drivers where "ignorant" or "not knowledgable". Maybe they just completely forgot that they put the gear in 2nd as I have in the past or as you have also done with the 6, put the car in cruise, who knows, and turn up the stereo, who knows, or had a lively conversation with somebody else, maybe the kids were noisy, you know, or maybe the driver was talking on the cellphone, or having a big fight with somebody, who knows.

The fact of the matter is we don't know what led to those incidences. All we have to go by is Mazda's statement. And why shouldn't I consider that Mazda could not have been totally truthful when I know that Mazda had problems accepting blame for defects in their cars in the past? This applies to other car companies as well for that matter.

"those drivers were likely ignorant to the workings of manual shift mode most likely because all they have ever known about driving is put the car in "D" and go. "
    Again, you're making an ill-informed conclusion here.

many drivers who have no idea (read ignorant) how to operate a stick shift also have no clue (again, read ignorant) whatsoever about tachometers
    Another one here.

Just to set the record straight, I am not taking this discussion in a personal way. And I have not taken any offense at all. I also love my 5 and have admired Mazda for how they designed their cars. I'm just taking the position of a devil's advocate to give others a chance to see another point of view.

I wish you too would exercise a bit of caution and not jump to misinformed conclusions before replying to posts
    So sorry to say that I have been cautious since the beginning and I have not jumped to misinformed conclusions. My conclusions were all based on your initial post. It was there for everybody to see. Yours on the other hand were all based on pure speculation.
    Oh btw Perfecto, have you received your Roots bag yet?
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    JACK (V.O.)
    I'm a recall coordinator. My job is
    to apply the formula. It's a story
    problem.

JACK (V.O.)
    A new car built by my company leaves
    somewhere traveling at 60 miles per
    hour. The rear differential locks up.

JACK (V.O.)
    The car crashes and burns with
    everyone trapped inside. Now: do we
    initiate a recall?

JACK
    Take the number of vehicles in the
    field, (A), and multiply it by the
    probable rate of failure, (B), then
    multiply the result by the average
    out-of-court settlement, (C). A
    times B times C equals X...

JACK
    If X is less than the cost of a
    recall, we don't do one.

BUSINESS WOMAN
    Are there a lot of these kinds of
    accidents?

JACK
    Oh, you wouldn't believe.

BUSINESS WOMAN
    ... Which... car company do you work
    for?

JACK
    A major one.
    of it all is, no matter who, what, where, why, when and how those drivers are, I don't want to be on the same road as them. Nor do I want to be on the same road as the person reading the newspaper (yes, that 2'x2' paper - forget the magazine reader), applying makeup, etc., etc. Driving in manual 2 on the highway for an extended period of time or putting the car on cruise control to fetch something from the back seat - either way, their license should be revoked.

Harsh, I know, but I'd like to reach my 36th birthday on Saturday.
    I completely and wholeheartedly agree! Mazda should do either all or one of the following,
    1) Extended Warranty
    2) Free maintenance up to 100K miles

I don't know about the accessories, they really have nothing to do with the car's performance, but maintenance and warranty should certainly be discussed.
    We all should start calling Mazda USA in droves, see what happens. Also, anyone a lawyer? Can someone draft a letter on everyone's behalf for all to sign?
    Any thoughts?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I am curious what other carmakers have offered beyond what mazda has offered for something like this....anyone have any info??

I can think of a few off the top of my head..Acura/Honda extended the warranty of the bad tranny's they put in some models but the ext warranty only covered the items in question...Ford bought back some cars under the 3.8litre head gasket problem and did issue extended warranties for the specific problem....cadillac essentially did nothing for the people with the 8-6-4 engine fiasco..GM replaced diesel engines reluctanly when they all went bad but did nothing else....Toyota isnt exactly bending over backwards for the engine sludge problems..I don't recall any carmaker asking dealers to take new vehicles off the line to give to customers during a recall like mazda...(i realize y'all didnt get new MPV's but all of our MZ5 customer did..we wanted to do our best to help)
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    The memo sent to Mazda dealers this week specifically instructs them to fix the customer owned cars first and then those that are for sale on the lot.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    okay, okay...... PEACE everybody....he apologized so that's it.

thanks and don't forget to enjoy yourself here,

Host
  • m5canadam5canada Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I just returned my Mazda 5 yesterday and got a lousy rental car. The dealer told me it may take up to 1 and half month to fix the problem. I felt so bad to see my new car sitting in the dealer's parking lot. I really feel lost in this recall. Does anybody know what's going on with this recall? How come it need that long to fix the problem? It is really inconvenient for me. The reason I bought Mazda 5 is to save gas and have 6 seats but right now I have to drive a rental van which drank gas like water and don't have much choices about the rental car, I can only get either GM or Hyundai cars. Anyway, I really think Mazda should have some kind of compensation to the customers and also need to keep us update about the problem. :mad:
    Yeah, it came in the mail about a week after I last whined about it. I wish I had my car to throw it in - I promise I won't redline it in second gear. :( I'm seriously going to draft a letter to Mazda Corporate, I want my warranty extended.
  • sandiegoguysandiegoguy Member Posts: 27
    I can't believe the immediate "buy in" on the stated cause of the fires. To me it doesn't sound right. I think the official response is designed to mitigate the blame on Mazda engineering and try to off-load most of it on the drivers or make it seem like an difficult to anticipate design issue. Personally I'm surprised the manual mode doesn't have a safety upshift, it has one for the downshift. After all it is computer controlled (perhaps that's what the update to the auto trans Electronic control unit will be).

Keep in mind many autos can be inadvertently shifted into second gear at startup due to lack of good tactile feedback. The Durango I have as a loaner ends up going from neutral to second more times than neutral to drive. It is therefore reasonable to assume that a high percentage of drivers od many existing vehicle types accidentally drive for extended periods of time in 2nd gear. And is seems they do this without combusting. So I don't believe for a minute any of this 2nd gear stuff. It's pretty darn obvious when you are going 55 mph in second gear.

And if you were one of the people with a Mazda 5 that caught fire would you volunteer the information that the car was driven to a pulp in second gear, risking losing reimbursment for the damage? If the information was given to mazda then I doubt they would have recalled the cars or offered to tow them. They could have said "drive it in D".

Personally I don't care what the cause is. They are handling it appropriately and will fix it. But I wouldn't spend this much time pondering the merits of driving in D just yet. It doesn't ring true.

And I do expect a car to be able to run at near readline for extended periods of time without overheating the exhaust or burning thru to the cabin. I expect to get engine or tranny overheats lights or guage indications but not a melted tailpipe.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think your average passenger car is really built to redline all day actually. My two cents is that that is expecting too much of it. It's a lot of stress on an engine if that engine isn't designed for it, or if the internals aren't beefed up and/or if you don't have the external oil cooling. All day redline is really something best suited to a race car or a very high performance exotic...Porsche, etc.

I would expect your average car to protest mightily and do bad things at all-day redline.

I realize this isn't really what you mean, that you mean short bursts, and I agree, but some people might go out and try redlining for hours at a time and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • hifivehifive Member Posts: 72
    I am going to call Mazda tomorrow to verify this info... If this is true I am going to get my car back. I don't see why it should sit on the lot. They can have it back when they get the parts and can actually work on it. It is my car, I can have it back whenever I want, it would be illegal for them to keep it. I have never driven my car in the manual mode, I use "D". Call me stupid, but I didn't buy it to drive it in second.

HiFive :surprise:
    So, I am reading The Wall Street Journal this morning and they are comparing the new Benz R350 to other similar vehicles such as, get this, Odyssey, Pacifica, and Ford Freestyle, interestingly enough M5 is not there. Why, you ask, I don't know, I think it may have something to do with the cost of the vehicle, all the comparisons are running 30K +. Now, I wonder, would you pay $20K for M5 and get 30 MPG or pay almost double and get lousy mileage and drive a Ford? I personally would not trade my M5 for any of those profiled including the Benz (which has no sliding doors btw). Just my two cents.
    I agree that the 5 is a great economical choice, but those other vehicles are much larger and generally more luxurious and powerful. And for the record, and not to you in particluar, an M5 is an outrageously fast 500 hp BMW supersedan that can keep up with anything offered by Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche: an MZ5 is the Mazda crossover vehicle we are discussing in this forum. :shades: Same goes for the M3 (BMW) and MZ3 (Mazda).
    There is no need for spitefullness, I am fully aware of what a real M5 looks like. M5 has been used in this post as in reference to Mazda5, so pardon my french.
    I am not looking for power when I am hauling my 2 kids to school, not do I want to scale a wall in a 4x4 on the way to the supermarket.
    Also, IMHO, luxury is overrated. Unfortunately, luxury seems to be equal to low fuel economy these days, and that in turns adds to financing terrorism by the saudis, but I am afraid that's a whole new topic. But anyway, thank you for clarifying a few things for me.
This discussion has been closed.