Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jagsouthjagsouth Member Posts: 5
    It's been 2 weeks since the recall. Has anyone figured out how to get a response from Mazda other than "as soon as possible?" There must be someone up in the food chain who can give us a more detailed, realistic respone. My calls to Mazda result in the same "they're working on it". Will the 2006 Mazda5 truly become a 2006 vehicle? The MPV is getting tiresome.
  • Options
    frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    No problem.
  • Options
    prulexprulex Member Posts: 9
    Just spoke with my dealer (Fairbanks Mazda in Orlando), supposedly the #1 volume Mazda dealer in the U.S. 6 years running...they should have some pull right??? Well, they're clueless. I asked for an update on the situation and all they could tell me was that they did not have parts to perform the repair and it would be another 2-6 weeks before they had the parts. I told them I wanted to drive my 5 until they had the parts because of the lack of a real threat of fire (unless you cruise at 80 in 2nd gear) and, as expected, they told me they would be unable to release the car to me. My car is officially being held captive. Not only that, they're keeping it on the lot in direct Florida sunlight with no sunshield in the windshield. If I see one ding, scratch or dent on it when I pick it up (in 2006 at this rate), I will request a brand new car from their inventory (mine only has 250 miles on it.) I asked them to keep me posted, though I don't expect them to. They never even called me about the recall in the first place...I called and told them about it. I guess it doesn't require an exceptional dealership to be the volume king.

Don't mean to bum anyone out more than they already are, but it could be November before we see our 5's again...
  • Options
    raceymomraceymom Member Posts: 18
    I phoned my dealer yesterday and he informed me of the same thing, that in fact there was nothing wrong with the car but that 3 people had driven it on the freeway at over 60 mph in second gear. Anyone that has ever driven a stick knows that that would strain any car. I promised my dealer that if I got my car back I would not drive it in manual mode until I brought it back to get repaired. But, instead of it sitting on the lot getting dirty, I would like to be driving it. He was told that he could not do that and in fact that I would not get it back until the end of October. By the way, the dealer was told they could now start to sell the new Mazda 5's again. How can someone buy one today if we are not allowed to drive ours?

Now for the conspiracy - Mazda released the 5 a month or two before Mercedes released their new mini van. Have you seen this new Mercedes? It looks just like the Mazda 5 - in fact I had three people tell me they thought they saw me, but it was a Mercedes. If you were Mercedes wouldn't you be upset if a car that looks just like your new release was being sold for 1/2 the price. As soon as the Mazdas were pulled off the street there was a flow of Mercedes ads on tv for this new car. Has anyone seen an ad for the Mazda 5? No! I think the Mazda 5 will be a great success but is being sidestepped so that Mercedes can get out there first and make it look like Mazda copied and is not as innovative. Well, we all know the truth and may end up with a very controversial car with the look of a Mercedes at 1/2 the price. I wouldn't doubt if the price of a Mazda 5 goes up now.
    :shades:
  • Options
    bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    It is amazing how closely the benz resembles MZ5!!! Granted, it is a mercedes, but nonetheless. I can survive without the leather.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/mercedesbenz_rclass_r350_2006/18309/style_slideshow.html;_y- lt=Aikx5szFf8QNN5adLatBe5LwnMoF?i=exrrpass75&a=all
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    By the way, the dealer was told they could now start to sell the new Mazda 5's again. How can someone buy one today if we are not allowed to drive ours?

Your dealer is wrong. Mazda was holding some MZ5 at the port until the fix had been determined...They decided to start shipping the cars on hold so when the fix arrives they will be turned around quickly. They are still under a stop sale directive. They can not be sold or delivered to customers until the fix is completed. Any dealer violating this rule can potentially face all kinds of trouble...Mazda has requested that all customer cars be repaired first.
  • Options
    pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    Thats a bit of a stretch..have you seen the Merc in person? I've seen it, and it is a MUCH larger vehicle than the Mazda, and has regular opening doors, not sliders. Its also longer, wider, and bigger in almost every conceivable way.

Wait until you see one in person. I dont think the comparison will hold up.
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Hello audia8q,

Thank you, great information so far. Who provided those details to you? Your dealer?

As for the dealers not able to release the car until is fixed, I will stick to the "up-to-one-month" statement in the letter sent earlier by Mazda. Somebody mentioned the lemon law earlier in this forum. I'm not sure in Canada or other US States, but in the State where I purchased my car the :lemon: law kicks-off after 30 days, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being and if nothing happens by then I'll look for other options. It's a great car but I prefer one that I can drive :). I know sounds bad, but given the circumstances, I'm already doing some research to find a good :lemon: lawyer...
  • Options
    bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    I, too, see major differences between the two vehicles. Here's some numbers from Edmunds.com

Exterior Dimensions: R-Class (MAZDA5)
    Length 203 in. (181.5 in.)
    Width 77.5 in. (69.1 in.)
    Height 65.2 in. (64.2 in.)
    Weight 4766 lbs. (3333 lbs.)
    Wheel Base 126.6 in. (108.3 in.)
    Ground Clearance 5.8 in. (5.5 in.)

It's weird how the R-350 is a "wagon" and the M5 is a "van" according to Edmunds' data.

If you look at the windows of the R-350, note how much they're tinted in the back. Gotta wonder what kinda of a "greenhouse" this thing has.
  • Options
    rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    Thats a bit of a stretch..have you seen the Merc in person? I've seen it, and it is a MUCH larger vehicle than the Mazda, and has regular opening doors, not sliders. Its also longer, wider, and bigger in almost every conceivable way.

Yes, while there is some resemblance in some images, the R Class is bigger than a Honda Odyssey - and we all know how huge that thing is.

While I have your attention - to all those who have M'5's with AT. I know the car will drop down to first gear when coming to a stop. But what about when driving in manual mode at highway speeds? If you were to slow down to 30 or 40 mph without manually downshifting, does the vehicle go to second or third gear automatically or will it stay in fourth?
  • Options
    Who provided those details to you? Your dealer?

actually I am a dealer.
  • Options
    isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    The R-Class is way out of Mazda's class. It is more in the class, in terms of size, capacity, and performance, of the Chrysler Pacifica and the Ford Freestyle except that it's luxury. Moreover it doesn't have the sliding doors. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm still smiling with my 5. Just in case some of us here may turn dreamy it starts at US $48 grand. :(
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I just returned from our local Mercedes dealer, and looked at the R-Class. It doesn't resemble a Mazda5 whatsoever. The comparison to a Chrysler Pacifica is more appropriate. And, since it is Daimler-Chrysler, one wonders if they may even share the same "basic" platform. The base MSRP on the one I looked at this evening was $48K, but with options the total MSRP was $64K. This is a big car compared to the Mazda5.
  • Options
    gwinchgwinch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info about how to reclaim my Mazda 5 from the Dealer. I am going to call Sharon Hartman on Monday to get my car back. I'm fed up not having it and hate the Enterprise Dodge Caravan I've been driving.

I called the Dealer today and the service guy said nothing had been done. He said they didn't even know what needed to be done and were waiting for Mazda to tell them! I don't know whether the guy was just clueless or being economical with the truth, but either way I want my car back.

I
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Thanks audia8q, next time I will check the profile first :)

Since you get some key information first hand, please keep the people in this forum on the loop in case you get some more news. I hope you also have some voice in Mazda at higher levels (being a direct representative of them) so they understand what owners expect. As I told my dealer and the Mazda Customer Assistance Center: Mazda can make a difference on this issue by periodically communicating to owners and dealers alike (letters and calls are overkilling but what about a more specific status page on media.ford.com) or miss the opportunity and really upset owners by providing only little bits and pieces which have to come from different sources creating confusion and deriving into taking other measures :mad:

Mazda had a good start with this issue... they just need to follow through properly so I'll call Sharon as well :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please don't post names and phone numbers of third parties without their permission. This is contrary to the Edmunds forums Member Use Agreement.

You can exchange phone number by private e-mail. Most members list their e-mails in their profiles, just click on their name, or ask them in the forum to send you their e-mail address. Don't post your e-mail address publicly in any message board. Bad idea, you'll get spammed to death.

thanks

MrShiftright
    Host
  • Options
    unitl the info came out about the casue we didn't really know more than you have been reading on here. I personally called our MZ5 customers yesterday to give them a status update. Everyone was glad to hear it wasnt something real serious without a fix...some dealers havent been real good at keeping customers informed. I told our people that they may not hear from me again for a couple few weeks unless some new info comes out.
  • Options
    driosdrios Member Posts: 5
    ">I've been reading all info I can about the recall, and I really miss my 5. I had it for a month and now it's back at the dealers... they game me a Mazda6, but I miss my 5. I love reading all of your feed back and points of view and I wonder, if 30 days pass by and the "lemon law" would kick in... would anybody request there money back and look elsewhere for a new car? :confuse: :lemon:
  • Options
    hifivehifive Member Posts: 72
    My message was removed because I posted the Supervisor of Customer Service's direct phone number. I think that is silly because she is a Mazda employee. Anyway, if you want her name and number, please email me.

She told me the dealer has to give me my car back, and that is very unlikely the car would catch fire if it is not driven in second gear at high rates of speed. They are going to put in a new heat shield to make it idiot proof, but you are not in danger if you drive it and remember not to put it in second at 65 MPH. Also, she told me the cars that caught fire did so in the first 100 miles of being driven.

HiFive
  • Options
    bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    Thanks HiFIve,

Perhaps Mazda USA is being overly cautious...
    I will send an email to you by Monday morning about the phone number if you still think we can get our Mazda5 back next week. We are happy with our rental Mazda3. Our Mazda5 is a manual transmission so the recall doesn't make much sense to us, given we won't drive 65 MPH in second.

Bert
  • Options
    My service manager called me today just to keep me in the loop, though most of what he told me was what I had already read here. Actually his account omitted the cause of the fires, namely the driving in 2nd gear at 65mph. He didn't sound surprised when I mentioned it, though.

I asked if he thought I could go ahead and get the car back, since Im not dumb enough to drive in second gear at 65, and would be willing to sign a waiver freeing Mazda of any responsiblity. He said I was the only person who had asked that, and while the fires may have occurred under those conditions, that didn't mean they were the only conditions that it could occur, and if it were him, he would wait until Mazda completed the repairs. He said it could still be 4-6 weeks from this point.

Good advice, I guess, but Im going ahead and filing my lemon law form with Mazda USA, since 15 days is all it takes here in FL to start the process. We'll see how serious they think it is after that.

I like the 5, but I don't know how long I want to wait to get it back.
  • Options
    rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    I spoke with Mazda about the Lemon Law & they emailed me a form.
    Mazda gave me mazda6 v6 that sucked gas. Then they gave me a dirty 2002 626.
    Finally they gave me a new mazda3 with on the highway gas milage of 25mpg.
    Gee, I'm buying a Civic next. This is not a good vision for the future.
  • Options
    Tell him you are not the only person that asked that, and Mazda will let you drive your car. Also, you don't have to sign a waiver as far as I know, I am getting my car back on Monday.

HiFive
  • Options
    Please send me the phone # that was removed. I want my 5 baqck or a new 2006 Mazda 6 wagon loaded as a permenant replacement at no cost.

jgurian@tampabayillustrated.com
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    When was the article? I paid $22,500 for my 7pass Freestyle. I looked at the M5, but it was too small for my needs. Actually on our road trips it's mostly just my wife and I and our baby, but my wife sits in row 2 with the baby and the front pass seat is folded flat, so my wife can stretch her legs, and the back is full of stuff, and based on how full it is, I know it all wouldn't fit behind row 2 of the M5 (we have a big stroller!). Plus for a month in the summer we have lots of houseguests too. And I get about 25mpg with the Freestyle too, so that's not too bad. But the M5 is a good alternative to a 5 door hatch since it has the capability of seating 6 instead of 5. But for interior space, the M5 is just in a different category as the Freestyle, R350, Pacifica & Odyssey, regardless of the cost. Sort of like comparing the Escape to the Expeditation just because they're both SUVs!
  • Options
    chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    ..."SUV" according to NHTSA.
  • Options
    tacokingtacoking Member Posts: 5
    Just spoke to Customer Service and double checked with supervisor, No they are not releasing any 5's until word from Japan has come down on whether the MT will need the modification also. NO 5's AT or MT will be released. Hi Five who did you speak to....
  • Options
    :):)

I called the dealership this a.m. and told me to have it ready to go, and they did, even washed it for me! I think I have the only Five on the road in the USA.

Ask to speak to the Customer Service Supervisor at Mazda USA. They cannot legally keep your car.

Moderator, I really think you should allow me to post the person's phone number at Mazda USA, it is extremely pertinent to this discussion.

HiFive :shades:
  • Options
    TackoKing, if you click on my profile you can email me privately and I will give you the name and number. The moderator won't allow me to post it.

HiFive
  • Options
    b_x20852b_x20852 Member Posts: 12
    Congratulations!

I have just called to the dealership, and talked to the dealer's Service Manager. He said that he has not got a release permission from Mazda USA, and untill he gets such permission he is not going to let me have my car back. How can I get the info that will open the gate for my car?

P.S. Thanks for the Mazda Customer Service person's number. I got it, and I called her. Unfortunatelly, she was out at the moment, so I left a message asking her to call me back. Somehow I have a strong doubt that she will...
  • Options
    If you get that number, maybe you could PM it to me.

I plan to call Mazda USA today and see what they might be able to do for me. Im tired of waiting for my 5. I either want the car, or I want a buy-back. I'd like to talk to someone at Mazda about that.
  • Options
    I don't know if you want to take it that far, but seriously, if you call the police they cannot keep your car, you are the legal title holder. Call Mazda North American Operations in Irvine, then ask for the VP who signed the recall letter (I don't have it in front of me, but if you go back in the archives on this group it's there. If they try to transfer you to Customer Service ask for his assistant. I left her a voicemail, and this person whose name I am not allowed to mention called be back a couple hours later. She told me of course they cannot legally keep my car, and explained the problem was those people that drove the car in second gear, and that it happened right away, within 100 miles. Basically confirmed everything I read here. Maybe she will get fired for saying those things, I don't know, but I do have my car back! The dealer service manager told me he would contact me by mail when the parts are in.

HiFive
  • Options
    I made the same basic assertions to my service manager, and he didnt disagree with me, but again, he mentioned that just because the fires occurred under the condition of being driven in second gear at 65 or whatever, that didnt necessarily mean that was the only condition in which the fires could happen.

Of course, casting doubt/fear on a situation like that is a perfect way to get people to comply, but..

Im past my 15 day point, so I can start lemon law proceedings. Im not going to threaten anyone at Mazda, but I do plan to let them know thats the direction Im going with it. I could easily complete the process in the timeframe they're allowing.

In the meantime, I've been having a good time running my dogs around in the MPV, which I took the seats out of.
  • Options
    Yeah they tried that with me too, saying that they could not be sure what caused the fire, but really, no other five blew up under any other circumstances, and my car has over 2,000 miles on it. They mentioned signing a release on Friday when I spoke to the service manager, but when I picked it up today there was no release. If they were really worried about it they would have had me sign something.

HiFive :):):):):)
  • Options
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have an automatic with the manual option. Perhaps the ones that caught fire were manual only. That might make a difference in whether or not they want to give you the vehicle back. I swore I drive the car in "D", and they acknowledged that was a smart thing to do.

HiFive
  • Options
    b_x20852b_x20852 Member Posts: 12
    I don't think I am ready to go that far and involve the police in yet. I have just called to that Mazda person (thanks for the number!), and left a message for her. Let's see first if she calls me back (which I somehow doubt...).

The dealer told me also that there was a recent request from Mazda USA of how many cars he is holding, which supposedly means that Mazda is almost ready to send him parts and instructions...
  • Options
    ..Just to ask if they had any kind of buyback contingencies in place, because I was within my lemon law time period. They seemed fully prepared to deal with customers invoking lemon laws regarding the 5. They clearly had a talking point prepared for it.

The rep went as far to suggest that I would need a copy of my registration, a work order from the dealer (not really applicable in this case), and a copy of the purchase paperwork when I sent in the form.

However, they also said that they expect dealers to be receiving parts in the next 2 weeks. Thats what they were told on Friday.

So, it would seem that maybe Mazda is getting to be in hurry-up mode here. I sure hope so.
  • Options
    rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have an automatic with the manual option. Perhaps the ones that caught fire were manual only.

I kinda doubt this would happen with MT drivers.

From the press release:

Mazda has determined that the cause of these fires is excessive exhaust heat caused by inadvertent operation of the vehicle in the manual mode of the automatic transmission at highway speeds in second gear. It is possible that extended high-RPM operation may cause this exhaust overheat, and a subsequent fire.
  • Options
    I tried going 60 mph in 2nd gear in a Mazda3 and the noise from the engine was truly horrendous. Don't know how this translates on an M5 but I think it's the same 2.3 liter engine.
  • Options
    I tried going 60 mph in 2nd gear in a Mazda3 automatic trans, and the noise from the engine was truly horrendous. Don't know how this translates on an M5 but I think it's the same 2.3 liter engine.
  • Options
    Did it catch fire? LOL

HiFive
  • Options
    Since this has been such a hot topic of late, I see relevancy as applied to the Mazda 5 situation. One could argue that, even though Mazda does have possession of the vehicle(s) in question, they have these said vehicle(s) as granted to them by the powers of the government or Eminent Domain. About the only thing missing might be just compensation. But one could argue that as well in the case that your life is priceless and therefore, just compensation to the rightful owner has been met.

Pressed hard, Mazda may return your vehicle, but Mazda runs the risk of fines, etc. by the government. Remember, the fires, regardless of how or why they occur, not only put the vehicle owner's life in peril, but passengers and other drivers in peril as well.

If one doesn't pay their due property taxes, the gov my confiscate/foreclose the individual's home. So, does anyone ever really own their home??? If one is committing illegal acts and gets caught, their property (home, auto, boat, plane, etc.) may be confiscated and auctioned (or used for other stings). So, does anyone really own their property??? I know, sounds depressing, but those are the facts of life.
  • Options
    The dealer does not have "eminent domain". I believe that applies to land, and that can only be invoked by court order. This is still America. The bank can repossess my car if I don't make the payments, that still has nothing to do with Mazda. They are not the government, they have no authority, nor are they even the DMV. Mazda has been paid in full by my bank (not Mazda credit by the way). If the car is not street legal, that will also take time to discover, and that is something the highway safety board will need to enact. A recall is voluntary, when I first found out about it I refused it, then decided to be on the safe side. This was before I knew about the second gear issue. Also, like I have stated before, my vehicle has over 2,000 miles on it. My risk is higher for being rear ended and it catching fire.

HiFive
  • Options
    I just spoke to a Mazda rep, (4:35 EDT), who told me that they "hope" to ship parts by the end of October. That puts fix into November. Today is 15 days without.
  • Options
    Gov. can take what ever it want whenever it wants. Be it cars, boats, houses, etc. Paid in full (that's hyphenated, right?) or not. For example, if a police officer needs your vehicle to pursue perpetrators, you are .... out of luck. And they don't need a warrant to conviscate your vehicle (try speeding at supervelocity and watch your car go buy, buy) NHTSA = Gov.

Mfg's are given a chance at a voluntary recall. Had Mazda not done a recall, the gov would have imposed one on them. Besides, even if the gov can't force automakers to recall cars, the gov can and will impose tax/fines just like the "gas guzzler tax" of yestyear. Mazda 5s are not the only vehicles on the road; they share the highways and biways with millions of other vehicles. If a Mazda 5 or any other vehicle catches fire on the road, the chance of causing harm to others unrelated to the Mazda 5 are great. That is impossible to ignore. So, the voluntary recall, IMO, was a PR repair.

At the end of the day, the gov can take your vehicle at a moments notice, even without compensation. Whether they are in the right, is a matter for the courts to decide (be that eminent domain or other). And that, my friend, leaves you without a car for the time being. Luckily, Mazda's recall has provided temp. transport.

And you are correct, Dealer = Squat They have your vehicle because they have the backing of NHTSA. About all the dealer can try to do is rip you off during the sale, but, my friends, that is why we have EDMUNDS.COM
  • Options
    I really am not sure why you are comparing Mazda to the government, they are not the same thing, and no, they cannot seize my vehicle. Mazda gave me my vehicle back when pushed. My point is that Mazda does not have eminent domain, I have done nothing illegal, my car was not impounded (and even impounds can be retrieved). Have you ever heard of a case where the government seized recalled vehicles? I am not talking about a drug bust, we are talking about a recall. And yes, it is VOLUNTARY. I choose not to have my car sit on the dealers lot. I am happy to make the repairs when the parts are in. But as it stands, my car is registered and compliant with state and local laws.

HiFive
  • Options
    sandiegoguysandiegoguy Member Posts: 27
    Assuming the cars are not locked up, would it be illegal to take your spare key and drive your car off the dealers lot? Then give them a courtesy call thanking them for the free storage -and give them a contact number so they can let you know when to bring the car back for the repair.

I bet ya there is some kind of loophole to prevent them from being snagged by lemon laws. After all, if they are compelled to recall these vehicles by the government do they get some kind of exemption? What is the recall status? Voluntary or involuntary? Does it matter?
  • Options
    Yeah I did catch fire and I died. Luckily it was a rental car. :P

Nah, I only did it for ten seconds...it felt like I was killing the car. This can't be right, that is, that people are driving 60 mph in 2nd. Maybe 35 mph?
  • Options
    I called the 800 number for Floridas lemon law, and they said it didnt matter that it was due to a recall. The way it works is you either have 4 consecutive visits to fix the same problem, OR 15 consecutive non-running days. After the 15 days, they have 10 days to do a final vehicle inspection at which time they get the vehicle running, or they have to either refund your money or give you a replacement vehicle.

The problem with the lemon laws in a recall situation is time. Once you meet all the conditions to have the state arbitrate on your behalf, you then have to get a hearing, which can take 30-40 days by itself. Then the manufacturer has the same amount of time to respond to the decision made by the arbitration board. Its probably safe to say that Mazda will have the cars repaired in the next 60-80 days. I definitely hope so, anyway.

But as far as there being a loophole just because its a recall, I dont think there is one. Not in Florida, anyway.
  • Options
    I would think no, there is nothing stopping you from taking your car, but make sure you are not violating any trespassing laws. My only concern with that was if they had it blocked in. I saw how they had the cars parked at the dealer when I picked mine up today, they were double and triple parked. That's why I told them to "have my car ready" when I came today. Heck they even washed it.

April
This discussion has been closed.