Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• lost5lost5 Member Posts: 8
    My husband is driving Mazda626 ... and we have been keeping to fix it all the time ... and later on found out that all Mazda 626 have engine problems manufactured between 94-99 ... oooookaaaay ..... when we were on the market searching for a new car, my husband insisted no Mazda ... again ... but we ordered 5 as I insisted to have one ... now I am in deeeeeep sxxt..... I do expect to be treated as Mazda customer ... otherwise what the purchase contract for ... we as the customers made the commitment ....while my dealer did not even bother to let us know the recall ... we expect good quality car as well as good services .... or maybe we should not expect too much professionalism and integrity at some profession ... our fault ... I know what you meant .. 5 is an unique car at the market ... and very "hot" car too ... or maybe too "hot" :blush: ...
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    The $1500 part only applies if the loaner vehicle is a new MPV...the $50 per day is ONLY if the consumer is put into a Mazda product from a dealer loaner program. If it goes to Hertz or enterprise the dealer does not get the $50 per day they get a much lower rate.

Thanks for your reply. Given those numbers, I agree that the dealers are definitely not being over-reimbursed (my original concern)...and your claim that they're losing a good amount of money sounds reasonable. So, I guess it's likely that neither the owners nor the dealers will end up with any 'compensation' for the difficulty of the recall.
  • wannahavmy5wannahavmy5 Member Posts: 8
    You're right, don't count on any compensation ... if you don't add the free leased car, the no-mileage on the brand new one and the chance to, just like i did, exchange the leased car to try a lot of them (presently, they have leased me a boat sorry Buick Allure).
    But i will REALLY enjoy the 5 as soon as it's back.
    The only thing bothering me is that i pay for a 5 that i can't ride .. wait, it's possible to sign a waiver and get it back.
    Everybody should be happy now.
    It's nice to see a company that is willing to loose money but decided to recall right away, despite the fact that a couple of morons did something wrong... ;)
    I was working for a major manufacturer a while ago and it did wait until several persons were injured before issuing a recall and, even then, they waited until they received the parts to recall the cars.
    Most of them work that way, i prefer the Mazda way, even if that means waiting until i can drive the car again, don't you? :)
    Help! I've got the worst luck...

My Mazda5 was at Mazda of Princeton, and yesterday their lot flooded. They just called me and said my Mazda5 has water damage inside the car, the rugs need to be ripped up and replaced, they need to check whether or not there's any electrical damage, etc.

Ever since the recall, I couldn't wait to get my Mazda5 back. But, now that my car's damaged, I really don't want it back...I want the new and undamaged car that I paid for just 2 months ago. It's already been more than the 20 days required for lemon law notification in New Jersey, so I hate to say it but I'm probably going to go the lemon law route :lemon:

If anyone can give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Should I just suck it up, let the insurance company fix my Mazda5, and take my Mazda5 back? Or should I demand an undamaged one? :confuse:
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Have you spoken to the insurance company about the flood damage?? How high did the water actually get, any idea? There is a chance they may say it's a total loss and settle quickly.

I am not familiar with your state rules...but here in CT it takes months to get a lemon law case finialized....That is assuming the mfg is agreeable..if they arent it can take longer.
  • wannahavmy5wannahavmy5 Member Posts: 8
    Take a mechanic word on this one, damage may be fixed but you will have other problems down the road.
    Usually, after a flood in a car, all the major insurance company will mark the car as unusable.
    I would go and :lemon: the car !
    I just spoke to the insurance company...they'll send out an assessor within 2-3 days. I won't really know the extent of the damage until then. The dealer said that "the water came up just about to where the shifter is mounted on the console". He wasn't sure if the water was actually high enough to get in to where the shifter is mounted though.

Regardless of whether I go the lemon law route (that seems unlikely, since I know the process won't be fun and might not even work out in my favor), I'm sending MazdaUSA the 10-day notification letter that NJ requires...that'll at least keep all of my options open until I hear back from the insurance company.
  • mr_elementmr_element Member Posts: 9
    Hello. I was about to purchase a well-researched Mazda 5 as a second car. I used to own an Eagle Summit Wagon (92) that was mostly a Mitsubishi with the Dodge/Eagle label. But about 5 years ago I lucked out with a 93 Honda Civic, and was totally Hondized. I have found that only the Honda's and Toyota's have superior build quality - they simply would not release a new car (I drive a 1st year 2003 ELement) without significant testing. I used to drive Ford's - no longer - too many days in shop vs. days on road. Cant help but wonder if Mazda's link to Ford = push out American model - oops... a fire! Given Ford's rep around the old Pinto - they cant afford the law suits anymore.

I really really want the Mazda 5 to work for me, but given the unfortunate circumstances of the current release Mazda 5 (and this will seriously ruin Mazda's reputation in NA for this car which is otherwise a success story in UK and Europe as the Premacy - a 7 seater) I am now considering the new Civic 2006...140 hp, all the features of an Si Honda, 5 seater, for about $4000 less. Reliability is impecable.

I am truely sad reading all the stories on this page... Mazda will have to offer big incentives to reclaim their "membership" - the latest news release out of UK web site - says not sooner than Nov 1st for NA Mazda owners.

Cheers,

Mr_Element
  • hifivehifive Member Posts: 72
    As I see it, three morons who can't drive had a problem, and Mazda decided to cover themselves by having a recall. I have not had any problems at all with my car and I'm still driving it. I have 2,300 miles now... I am extremely happy with it and would not want any other car. I just love it! I still highly recommend it.

HiFive :D
    yea, I heard someone drove in 2nd gear at 60mph? Those of you with automatics - I want a 5 spd - but if you have automatics- is it a 4 or 5 spd auto, and how does it do for passing - the 5 is a rather heavy car.

my dealer here in winnipeg, manitoba (there are only 3 dealers here) had me drive the 3 - saying it was the same engine + 3 hp...but the 3 is WAY lighter. In fact, I am sure the Mazda 5 is a safe car cause it is heavier than my Element.

my worries are build quality, and passing power. I used to own a mazda b2000 truck (88) and it was great - but that was before Ford got to play with Mazda.

i heard also HIFIVE - that for canada, the Mazda 5 came straight from Japan - same true for the US of A?

Mr_Element
  • whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    I will be signing the waiver paperwork to get my 5 on Monday. Service advisor said that Mazda did advise that people not take them from dealer service , BUT for those "impatient individuals" :D they highly recommend not using the sport manual mode or driving at high revs. I told him I didn't plan on doing any street racing ;) . I will however buy a couple of vehicle fire extinguishers just in case. Maybe I'm just too impatient, plain stupid, or both but, we have truely missed the car and are tired of driving the renta Lancer. Anyhow I was told parts will arrive in ~2-3 weeks, at which time I will schedule a service visit. On a side note, I had him change the oil since we were a little over 3k miles, and also plan to get the windows tinted before pickup. Cheers!
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Dear Mr. Element:

I'm an owner of a Mazda5 and a 99 Honda Civic. Yes yes, I'm upset about this recall and I hope it is the last one. I'm giving them 30 days and I'm analyzing my options. I've been also Hondized but I wouldn't go as far as "Superior Build Quality". When my Civic was 2.5 yrs old it got its first recall (ignition switch/relay). Dealer changed it in 20 minutes but guess what happened the next day? the new switch/relay was faulty and my car stalled in the high speed line at 50mph during rush hour. I called Honda :mad: and I was told: bring it over, we'll fix it. Bring it over?? The car was dead!!! AAA came to the rescue... not Honda... I obviously negotiated free services from the dealer manager as a compensation...

When it was 4 yrs old the exhaust pipe broke exactly where the catalytic converter is located. The pipe started dragging while on the highway producing sparks all over the place, I had to tow the car again via AAA. No warning no nothing, While I acknowledge the exhausts eventually crack, I would have expected a better design where at least if it breaks it doesn't drag but stays in place until you can fix it. It was putting my family in a very dangerous situation (busy road, curve, overnight)

Also, wrt Toyota and the Superior Build Quality, check this out:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/10/14/prius_recall.reut/index.html
    I don't know what's better, car stalling on a freeway at 75MPH or catching fire :D
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You ever heard of Phil Bailey, the popular Canadian mechanic/automotive journalist? Here's what he had to say about Honda and its new Civic on his website last month:

With the arrival of the new Civics, I'm being asked what I think of the car.

Frankly, I'm cautious.

Because our little microcosm of a repair shop has seen some disturbing trends in the Honda line of products in the last few years.

It started off with the full sized Odyssey that had a number of problems and recalls. Then we noted the failure of automatic transmissions in V6 Accords at an early stage in their lives. The old Civic was up to its ears in complaints about the suspension. So much so, that a secret warranty exists for failed shock absorbers on the post 2001 Civic.

But our little shop has already replaced the drive shafts in a multitude of late model CRVs at over $800 a go and this week, we got a call from a client with a 2003 Element, with 68,000 Km (40,000 miles) on the clock, whose transmission had failed, leaving him stranded in Boston.

(Fly home sir, at least a week for a replacement!).

So, my reaction is: if you can wait to buy the new Civic, or for that matter any Honda, do so, because of late, the lads at Honda San have not been living up to their reputation.

If you must buy an Asian vehicle right now, think Toyota, Nissan or Hyundai.

Oh yes, and our first choice, Mazda3 or 6.

Meade

P.S. The new Civic is made -- as are many of its parts -- in the same U.S. of A. that the Fords you criticize are. The Mazda5, like its platform cousin the Mazda3, is still built in Japan using more than 98% Japanese parts -- just like Hondas were back in the '80s when they got that reputatiion for quality that has been shaking loose since Americans started getting their paws into Honda's assembly line. (No offense to Americans -- I am one -- but we do a lot of things better than build cars.)
    Yes, my car says it's from Hiroshima. I have not had any trouble with passing, and where I live in Minnesota it is very hilly and there are plenty of passing lanes. Two days ago I was trying to beat a truck on the freeway on-ramp, I punched it and did just fine. That was probably the highest the tachometer has ever gone on that car. I went from almost a stop to 60 very quickly. I don't usually drive that way, but it was either beat the truck or get edged off the road.

HiFive
    I picked mine up about two weeks ago. Was I nervous? Only slightly. The vehicles that burned were within the first 100 miles of ownership, Mazda verfied this for me. Also they were driving over 65 in second gear. Since I don't drive that way, and the car has over 2,000 miles, I am willing to take my chances. I did feel a little nervous transporting four girlscouts the other day, it seemed like tempting fate, but we were all just fine.

HiFive
  • slcmazda5slcmazda5 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't picked mine up yet, but I think I would try to refuse to sign a waiver. If they don't have any legal right to keep your 5 - which they appear to concede - they don't have any right to require a waiver, either.
    I've consulted some legal sources, and I've come up with a strategy to solve my problem. Until I hear from the appraisers at the insurance companies, I won't know if this'll work. But, it seems like my best shot, and it seems to be legally legit. I'm throwing it out here in case anyone has any advice/comments:

(1) The dealer is liable for the flood-related repairs, so his insurance company pays for it (that part's obvious). But, less obvious is that the insurance company also needs to pay for "diminished value" in third-party situations. "Diminished value" is defined as the value of the vehicle before the accident (in this case flooding) minus the price after the flooding...courts have supposedly upheld this in every state.

(2) Since the vehicle was nearly brand new before the incident, and after the incident will be worth whatever the dealer gives me for it as a trade-in, the "diminished value" should be roughly the "new-car value" minus the "trade-in value". So, "trade-in value" plus "diminished value" should be enough to get me a new Mazda5 from the dealer. In effect, I'll trade in the flooded Mazda5 for a brand new one, and the insurance company pays the difference in price on the transaction.

(3) If the insurance company's "diminished value" award plus the dealer's trade-in price aren't enough to buy me a new Mazda5, I'll give the dealer 3 options: (1) increase the amount that they're giving me for the trade-in, (2) decrease the price that they'll sell me the new Mazda5, or (2) act on my behalf to get the insurance company to raise their "diminished value" payout.

Whew! I'll let you know how things play out...
    Steve
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The dealer is liable for the flood-related repairs, so his insurance company pays for it (that part's obvious).

That part might not be so obvious. In many places (including my Mazda dealership), there are signs in the service department and at the night drop-off box telling you that anything that happens to your car while it's parked on the dealer's property is covered by your insurance, not the dealership's.

Meade
  • giveucolorccgiveucolorcc Member Posts: 5
    Those signs are just boilerplate mumbo jumbo every dealer/service station put on to ward off potential lawsuits. They are still liable.
  • sandiegoguysandiegoguy Member Posts: 27
    Just goes to show you that you can put anything you want on a sign. I doubt that will stick. I can't believe you can waive your responsibility for what happens on "your" property with a sign. Perhaps there is a requirement that you must file your claim with your insurance company and they will handle recouping their payout by going after the dealership or their insurance.

The flood damage plan sounds good and is probably legit. But they could be headstrong and make you pry the cash out of them if the numbers don't pen out from the insurance company. The only way to pry out that money may be to sue.

Disclaimer. I'm not an attorney and really don't know what I am talking about. But I may still be close to right.
    we ordered mazda 5 at the beginning of sep at London, Canada, have been trying to know when the 5 is ready; first of all, we found out 5 was recalled at the middle of Sep.through our friends, the dealer did not call us; then I called them today asking if there is any update on the 5, he said he will check with Mazda on Monday, but sure 5 will be in Canada soon... I asked if everything is ok and anything you want to let us know on the car, he clearly said no, everything is fine .... all right, I guess I had enough with this dealership ... we signed the purchase deal with the trade in, and the dealer has the trade- in original plate registration ... can we write them a letter saying we decide to cancel the deal because we were misled by the sales person and not informed on the recall at all .... meanwhile we want our original plate registration back ... if we can not get this resolved, guess have to go through Mazda Canada or Mazda North America to complain on this dealership .... any feedback is appreciated ... :mad:
  • mavmadmavmad Member Posts: 1
    I spoke with Mazda USA customer service a few hours ago. The rep I spoke with said the same we all know... should be around the 24th when the repairs are done. Although he did say it could be sooner because the dealership service departments "were in the process of receiving" the parts and that they should have them no later than the 24th. But the interesting thing he said was that Mazda IS going to compensate 5 owners for the inconvenience; though they hadn't decided how. He said I'd receive a letter toward the end of the month. He also said he has heard the proposed ideas for compensation and that some of them "sounded pretty cool" :shades: - but he couldn't tell me what they were.

Let the speculation begin...
  • frgjbfrgjb Member Posts: 10
    My wife and I ordered a 5 at the beginning of September as well. We are in central New Jersey. We were told that the car was "on the water" and would be in port sometime around the first or second week of October. Fine. We got our deal and trade-in numbers locked in, and we figured we'd just put some mileage onto the Villager we're trading in. We heard of the recall via this and another forum, but did not hear a word from the dealer. I popped in the other day to see what information he would volunteer without letting him know that I was aware of the recall. He didn't say a word about it until I brought it up. In hindsight, I should have let him try to give me an explanation for the delay he told me about, but I tipped my hand and told him that I knew of the recall. He then went back and forth with another salesman who got on the phone to the service dept. The bottom line is that the targeted date for arrival at the dealership is the last week of October (It's probably in port now, but the parts are not). The "fix" will be made at the port, I was told. This makes me a little nervous, and I'm going to have to have this clarified to me just who will be doing the work. I'm a bit disappointed that I had to initiate the contact with the dealership, but I can't complain since I'm not driving around a loaner, but the car I've had for 3 years as much as I'm not fond of it. I'm still confident that the wait will be worth it, but I'd rather be driving a 5 now. I feel for those whose purchases were further down the line than ours. I hope it's all resolved happily for all of you.
    thank you for your reply ... I was suprised and upset that the dealer did not say anything ... funny thing is my husband's Mazda 626 is pretty much shaky now ... we need a replacement too... for "customers" like us - ordered the car, but have not got the car are in the worst senario: no replacement, no compensation if there will be any, definitely have no room to bargin ... the reason I called the dealer today just wanted to see if he was willing to tell the truth if I gave him a chance ... not at all ! Mazda does not recoganize us as customers ... I decide to confront the dealer this weekend to demand an explaination and intention to hide the fact of recall ... and I was adivsed by friends to write a letter to inform dealer we cancel the deal ... meanwhile to contact with Mazda Canada and USA ... at least you know where is your future 5, we don't know ours ... I personally don't expect any truthful word from their mouth anymore ... :( I expect good quality car as well as good service ... as the 5 has been recalled, dealer has not told us the truth .. there is not much to say about this particular Mazda dealership ... :confuse:
  • jagphantombluejagphantomblue Member Posts: 13
    I was just informed that Mazda5 ownwers will receive a check for $500.00 and the warranty will begin with January 2006. Parts have been shipped and all vehicles will be in owners hands the week of 10/24.
  • bluegrass_guybluegrass_guy Member Posts: 2
    What do they mean by changing the "calibration" of the engine and transmission? Will this effect performance? If the recall was found because of three engine fires by people driving at highway speed in 2nd gear, and a tag and heat shield will solve the problem - why mess with the engine and transmission? Just wondering
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Thank you for the information jagphantomblue, Could you mention the source? :surprise:
    Great news if true and it is on the order I expected. Reset the warranty and buy an option. (Or easily cover the tint the van should have had from the get go to healp the anemic AC). IF it goes beyond Oct, $1000 would be more appropriate.

If the warranty begins in jan 2006 does that mean we aren't covered now? :)
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    if that is true, I would be happy with this solution.
    for example, $500 will pay for almost entire extended warranty bought at 3rd party supplier (not mazda)
    The source was Mazda @ 1-800-222-5500
    Warranty

You are covered now. It adds x number of months o the 48 months.beginning with .the month. you purchased it.
    $500? Wow, cool! I was thinking it'd be more like $200 per vehicle.
    I wonder if everyone will get that? I am driving my car, so I can't say that I have been really inconvenienced, but it was at the dealer for ten days until I decided to get it back. Do they have any way of knowing if we have our cars or not? Will the dealer tell them who picked theirs up?

HiFive
  • giveucolorccgiveucolorcc Member Posts: 5
    I think $500 is reasonable considering that I paid in full for my Mazda5, drove it for only a week, and now I'm forced to drive a stinking rental for a month already. My brand new Mazda5 is just sitting in the dealer's unpaved dirt lot while it could have been nicely kept in my garage.
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    I read this forum just about every day and noticed quite a few postings this evening. I just checked "Today's Top Discussions" on the forums page and this is the 4th most active forum. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ForumsLanding Too bad the Mazda5 Owners MPG Real World Numbers forum has been so slow as of late. Of course I can boast that we have only filled up our 5s tank once since Labor Day. If the $500 check is for real then I won't feel so bad about this surreal experience. :D
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    I called Mazda USA to check,
    they said there was nothing official regading any compensation as of yet, although they did say that something will be done.
    200 bucks would be an insult as far as I'm concerned.
    International Mazda site also "alludes" to NA version having too much power. Current successful Premacy (Mazda 5) in Europe, Australia has 1.8 litre I-4 cyl. with only 121hp or 1.5 litre diesel with 115hp, and they have more weight - for 7 persons. But those models are not offered as autos - so there is a little more "perceived" ponies under the hood with 5 spds.

Mr Element
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    Steve:

Here is a link to a story about flood damaged cars from the Gulf Coast Katrina/Rita
    disaster areas that you might find interesting.

The bottom line is....you probably don't want your car back in any way, shape, or form, especially if the water was up as high as you mentioned.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P129008.asp

Might also be a heads up for any others who might find a "hot" deal on a "new" M5 or other brand/model of car in the near future.

Good luck in getting a settlement.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    thanks a lot for that link. Very interesting reading!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I had a chance to bring up your situation with one of our insurance company reps who was here yesterday.... If you had dropped your car off the night before for something like an oil change the dealership may not be on the hook...but the car was there due to a demand from Mazda...this changes things a bit. Essentially the dealership's insurance should cover this. You should contact your insurance company and ask them how they want to proceed. Based on what you have told me, I personally would be looking for a new car...The fact that it is essentially a new car already should help.
  • begging4fivebegging4five Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching the 5 since early September. Recall in the middle of September. Still, ZERO information as to when the car will be available to buy. Called 2 local dealers, only one was semi-helpful. Closest dealer to me never even asked for my phone number to contact me when the cars were available, but were completely interested in doing a "preapproval". Second closest dealer tells me, we have your number, keep checking back with us. Made 4 calls to Mazda North America in 1 month. First time I called I received some zoom-zoom stickers. Thanks. They would look a little awkward on the Nissan Quest I have my eye on. Second call I was hung up on. Third call was a deja vu response, "keep checking back". Fourth call I asked to be put on a list to be notified when the cars were available, instead I was given the CSR's extension number and finally an apology. I asked if there were ANY 5's ANYWHERE that were fixed yet and ready to sell, I am getting desperate, and I was told that information was not available. I sold my van for down payment cash in the 2nd week of September. I now drive a Miata which I plan to sell for additional down payment cash (but was going to trade in). When will I sell it... i don't know? I have 4 children. Husband has a Ford F-150. The logistics are impossible to move half of my family around. Been doing this for a month. Getting old, fast. I have my zoom-zoom live event pass for $500 off. Have my certificate / e-mail along with the magazine advertisement (I bought the Plum magazine off ebay.) for $500 off. Waiting, and waiting. If there were a similar car available, I sware to you, I wouldn't be typing right now. I think I will redirect my energy into a letter to Mazda North America (and maybe Ford Media?) ANY suggestions? I feel like I am begging!!!!!! someone to let me buy a car! I think of how excited I was that I found a car I was willing to be in debt for. I read of the enthusiasm all of you 5 owners had. I think of how hopeful I was that this little "car" would find it's segment... all of that in comparison to the way I feel right now, it's sick. Thank you for reading my rant :)
  • dontecdontec Member Posts: 9
    I was in the simmilar situation. I had my loan offer expired and my interest rate went up around 0.750%.
    Called many dealers, including my friend in one of the local Mazda dealerships. He was a little helpfull. The rest of the dealers were givving bad responses and were tottaly not interested, until the car is off the recall.

Well, according to my informations, my car, which I left a deposit for, will be ready in a couple of weeks or sooner. Some dealers are actually dealing at this point, and with some luck and persistance, you could get some money off (like $1000 or more) for not having your test drive.

Good luck.
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    hi,

I heard the $500 gerber rebate was expired on 9/30 but not very sure. You might want to double check before you make the purchase when Mazda 5 is available in the market.

good luck
  • begging4fivebegging4five Member Posts: 2
    The Gerber rebate is good for 60 days from the date of the certificate which you had to email Mazda for. The deadline to submit the email for the certificate was the end of September. I was on the hunt for the ad (which has to be used in combination with the certificate) and did not need it to obtain certificate so I thought ahead a little bit and got the certificate, then won the ebay auction for 11.79 for the magazine w/ the ad. whew.
  • lolo2lolo2 Member Posts: 10
    Someone on this site had a website for the Gerber Rebate..I went to the website and got a $500.00 rebate coupon from Mazda with these dates...9/15 to 11/15/05...Since I bought my 5 on 9/10 I wanted the Gerber coupon...I talked to someone at Mazda today and faxed over my paperwork and coupon..They said they will see what they can do for me. I also asked about the recall and ..he said we should be getting our cars back around Oct. 24th....Yeah Right!
    On a side note...I was checking my credit card statement on line and ....WONDERS NEVER CEASE..Hertz was billing me $30.00 per day for a car...Hmmm .. :mad: ...I had to cancell that credit card...I have a Hertz rental from Mazda..Gee I wonder if there's s connection ..lol
  • ffunffun Member Posts: 29
    I called my dealer in Edmonton and he hasn't heard anything new about when he will be receiving parts. The last he heard a few weeks ago was that he would get parts the week of the 17th. He told me that as soon as they get the parts they will have my vehicle ready by the next day at the latest. I can't wait. Right now we have a Ford Focus from Enterprise. This car really makes me appreciate my Mazda5. We've only put about 500 km on our 5 and we've put over 5000 km on the three rental cars we've had over the past 4 weeks. It's nice that we didn't have to put all that wear and tear on our 5 but I'm getting sick of driving crappy rentals.
  • mazda5lovermazda5lover Member Posts: 29
    I purchased my Mazda5 on 9/19. I was then informed on the 23rd it had been recalled... The car was still at the dealer because I was getting my GuidePoint System installed. They called me in, gave me a rental... They had no Mazda's to give as loaner to me so I ended up with a cool/boxy looking Scion xB. I finally got upset about waiting so long went back and got a 2005 Mazda 3 as loaner. It is nice, but still want my 5. The service manager called me and said he would pay my Auto Loan bill for the first month and maybe second for as long as they keep my Mazda5. Well the upside is, my first payment has been taken care of. I can kick the crap out of a nice Mazda3 while getting used to the AT Shift so that I know what I am doing when I finally get my Mazda5. I hope that the Mazda5 is worth the wait like I have seen many of you saying.

Have a nice day and ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
  • dconvertibledconvertible Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching this forum and thank everyone for the info. This will be my 1st contribution:
    Took delivery of my Mazda5 end of August from dealer in Milford, Connecticut. Found out about the recall from internet- actually this web forum, and later that day the dealer called me to inform. They gave me a brand new MPV with leather, DVD etc. as a matter of course, without me asking. Had that 2 weeks and air bag light started staying on, so returned the vehicle. They gave me a demo Volvo 70 (they are also a Volvo dealer) which looks stodgy but is quite comfortable and pleasant. The salesman also called about 1 week ago to update me on the recall. He didn’t have any info not already posted on the web and the update letter from mazda came about the same time. All in all, my experience has been as good as one might expect under the circumstances. There have been no hassles other than missing the car I bought. Hopefully they will not alter the driving experience by changing the transmission calibration.
    :)
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    Bought my car in New Orleans a month before Katrina. Evacuated to Fort Worth and haven't gone back since. Dropped my 5 to a dealership here in Fort Worth. I asked them about having an MPV as a loaner but was denied and was told that I did not buy my 5 from them so they sent me home with a gas guzzler Dodge Durango. That was almost a month ago. I haven't heard anything from them eversince and I just read this forum everyday to know what's going on. The Durango is not that bad and I feel safe driving it. It looks so sturdy but it just sips a lot of gas. I missed my 5 but I just let it stay where it is until it get fixed.
This discussion has been closed.