Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda5 Owners MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• Options
    evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    Sorry for the double post.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Actually, I have a Fit and a Freestyle. The FS gets about 20mpg around town and between 26-30mpg on the highway, depending if I'm driving 80 or 65mph. In my Fit auto I get closer to 30mpg around town, and 35-40mpg on the highway, again depending on the speed I'm going.

I like the Mazda5 & Rondo configuration, but I wish they were about 6" longer to have more space behind the 3rd row, so the headrests weren't touching the rear glass and to give more cargo space.
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I like the Mazda5 & Rondo configuration, but I wish they were about 6" longer to have more space behind the 3rd row, so the headrests weren't touching the rear glass and to give more cargo space.

3rd row seats don't touch the glass though (I do believe is the same case for the Rondo). Yes, not too much space left when in use, but I've managed to get a flattened large stroller in the back of the 3rd seat when needed.

6" more sounds like a minivan is needed, May be a Caravan or similar is in order (unfortunately)?
  • Options
    I don't think they make any 186" minivans...they're all 200"
  • Options
    Yikes, long time no looking at minivans :( . I dunno where the mini prefix comes from anymore :surprise:

This is the one I was thinking about: 2007 Caravan (w/o the Grand), 189.3" Exterior Length. This trim may have disappeared with the new 2008 boxy style though :confuse:

http://autos.yahoo.com/dodge_caravan_swb_se-specs/?p=ext
  • Options
    Yes, something like that might not be bad, or the Mazda minivan, but if they're both getting the same MPG as my Freestyle and cost the same, they why downsize?

I'm looking for something that can get in the mid-30s highway MPG and be the size of a small Caravan.
  • Options
    oxolotoloxolotol Member Posts: 6
    My wife wrote the mileage on each fill-up receipt. Record keeping had some holes, but results as follows.
    27.9, 31.26(3 tanks), 24.48(3 tanks), 29.7, 25.50, 27.66,
    28.71, 29.75, 33.45, 30.92, 32.08, 32.08
    Total average (29.98)

typical driving 1 adult 4 children, Best mileage probably due to highway 65mph on cruise control. AC on partial due to window tinting. 5 speed manual.

Highest 33.45 lowest 24.48.
  • Options
    coolmazda5 wrote:
    3rd row seats don't touch the glass though (I do believe is the same case for the Rondo). Yes, not too much space left when in use, but I've managed to get a flattened large stroller in the back of the 3rd seat when needed.

I managed to take a pic for this during the week. 5 adults, 1 baby and a stroller (plus some other cargo pics).

Link:
    coolmazda5, "Mazda5 Interior/Seating" #11, 2 Sep 2007 3:09 am
  • Options
    idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

I have an auto and drive it almost exclusively on
    the freeways.

But my mileage is no more than 25.

Can you let me know what your auto revs
    at:

50 mph (2000 for me)
    60 mph (2600 for me)
    70 mph (3000 for me)
  • Options
    lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    I have the same revs, sounds right. After 5600 miles of 70% freeway and 30% suburban roads, 24-25 mpg sounds right. My worst tank was 24 and my best (only repeated twice) was slightly over 27. I generally maintain 70MPH on the freeway.
  • Options
    Thanks. So your in my boat.

I want to hear the RPMS from people who are getting
    30+ mpg. I've never got even close to that, not once
    in over 6000 miles.

I wonder if their autos are configured differently
    or perhaps they are measuring their consumption incorrectly.
  • Options
    w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    Well I am the worst person at math so i'm going about it like this: In my old Chevy Cavalier I would use a quarter of it's 14 gallon tank in one week driving my son to school every day, driving to work and back, give or take one or two small highway trips to go shopping or whatever. I've had this car a week now and it's full tank has gone down a quarter, but it is a 15 gallon tank, so i'm assuming it is getting very close to whatever my Chevy Cavalier got, which is cool with me, I don't really care about the numbers...I just wanted to buy a car that I knew would get at least somewhat near the same gas mileage. The guys at the lot liked the Mazda5 and had driven it 1,000 miles theirselves and told me they would get at least 30 on the highway...my Chevy got around 32-34..SO I'M HAPPY.
  • Options
    Hi,

Has anyone done any testing to determine what
    the sweetspot in terms of speed is to maximize
    highway mileage?

I have about 15 miles on the open highway to
    work each day. What should I set the crusie control
    to?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hmmm. I hope you got a below invoice price on
    a car that had done 1,000 miles on it. The sales
    people also lied to you (shock! horror!) by saying it
    will get at least 30 mpg. The official rating for the automatic is 26 and stick shift is 27.

Most people on this forum report b/w 24 and 28 mpg.
  • Options
    The main thing is that she's happy to be getting the same mpg as her old Chevy. She says she's not so concerned with the numbers. Maybe the actual numbers of both the Cavalier & Mazda5 are inflated, but if in here real-world use she's using the same amount of gas, then they're about equal.

In reality, this type of comparison probably better then trying to be so precise with a MPG number, plus it's easier to calculate. As long as your driving habits remain the same, you can just compare how much you spent on gas in an old car to the new one just to compare if you're getting better or worse MPG.
  • Options
    Alrighty I used the trip mileage on the full tank then let my tank light come on and it said I had driven 453 miles...I am not sure exactly how much gas is left in the tank when the light comes on but if you divide 453 by 15 then I am getting 30.2MPG. I drove 190 miles on the highway and the rest was in the city. When i'm on the highway i'm going between 60-70 MPH and my RPMS are at 3-4k. I only use cruise control maybe 20% of the time...so this is as good as the Chevy and no, the sales man didn't lie. It cost me only $3.78 more to fill the tank of the Mazda than it did the Chevy.
    I should probably point something else out that I mentioned in the tire forum. This Mazda has BIG tires, and the way the Mazda drives can make the pressure fluctuate all over the place. Tire pressure changes DO AFFECT your gas mileage. You will probably get better mileage if you keep your tires at the appropriate pressure at all times, or better yet, get some nitrogen put in them. My dad put nitrogen in my tires the 2nd or third day I had the car, so maybe that's one of the reasons mine is doing decently?
  • Options
    Hey now, no bad talk on my salesman! He's 3rd generation in the business and using the family's last name, we live in a small town, if he was a liar or took part in shady business he would no longer be here. His father was good friends with my grandfather (my grandfather is unfortunately dead now) blah blah blah you get the idea. I am getting the same, if not slightly better mileage than my 2000 Chevy Cavalier automatic which is 30 MPG. Like I already mentioned though, I keep tabs on my tire pressure and have nitrogen in the ties. I also don't drive like a lead foot maniac. Now as long as this Mazda can get up to 166k miles without ever needing a major repair (like my Chevy did) THEN I will be the happiest girl on earth!
  • Options
    dean1966dean1966 Member Posts: 17
    I'm near 13k miles on my 06 stick shift 5 now, and milage is still around 28-30 on most tanks, wih occasional forays into the low 30's if conditions are right, ( hwy, no speeding, no air cond). About the only thing I do differently than most is keep tires near their maximum of 40 psi, and I am light on the gas pedal most of the time

Checking milage is simple. I top up on every tank, right to where the fuels about to overflow out the filler, and then divide miles traveled by gallons used. Not much room for error here.

The epa now recalculates window milage stickers on a much more realistic method, and has on their website redone the 06 and 06 5's numbers. They are 19city/25hwy with a 22 average.

If theres a sweetspot for the 5, its under 3 k rpm, ( about 60 mph). At 3ooo rpm, the engine shifts from its low speed camshaft lobes to its high speed one, making more power, but also using more fuel. Under heavy acceleration, you can really hear the shift as the tach sweeps past 3000 rpm. Its a good sound. :) Around twon I never get past 3 so that does help my city milage.
  • Options
    Dean1966 wrote:

"If theres a sweetspot for the 5, its under 3 k rpm, ( about 60 mph). At 3ooo rpm, the engine shifts from its low speed camshaft lobes to its high speed one, making more power, but also using more fuel. Under heavy acceleration, you can really hear the shift as the tach sweeps past 3000 rpm. Its a good sound. Around twon I never get past 3 so that does help my city"

But I've heard people say 70mph is the sweetspot.

Could the diff be because of automatic versus stick?

On my 07 auto: 60 = 2600 rpm and 70 = 3100 rpm
  • Options
    I think if you take ANY car, go on the highway and set the cruise to 60mph for 100miles check the MPG, and then 70mph, you'll find that you always get better MPG at 60mph. It's just a matter if the dollars saved is significant enough to drive at that speed.
  • Options
    I went into mazda's website and found the overall final ratio's ( top gears ratio x final drive ratio = overall ratio) and found that in top gear the stick turns 8% more rpm.

So if your seeing 2600 at 60 mph, the stick would be at 2782, and 70 mph = 3100 is 3317 for the stick.

Horsepower needs go up fast with speed, so slower is better. I read once that most cars will see best milage at around 45 mph.

I know that with mine speed really matters on fuel economy. Under 60 I get 32-34 mpg, at 65 I get 30 and at 70 I only see 28.

Btw, last weeked I hauled a trailer around at 65 mph for about 2/3rds of the tank, and still got 28mpg. :shades:

Dean
  • Options
    If you go too slow, the then car will downshift to 4th, so the optimal speed once a vehicle is moving is just enough to keep it in 5th gear.
  • Options
    "I think if you take ANY car, go on the highway and set the cruise to 60mph for 100miles check the MPG, and then 70mph, you'll find that you always get better MPG at 60mph."

Any Car? That's a fairly sweeping statement. Using your logic,
    then why not 50 miles per hour and why not 40 miles per hour.
    The m5 auto kicks into 4th gear at about 35 mph.

I'm doing a bit of study right now, but the results seem to contradict
    the earlier poster. Will post details soon.
  • Options
    "Using your logic,
    then why not 50 miles per hour and why not 40 miles per hour.
    The m5 auto kicks into 4th gear at about 35 mph.
    "

My example was just comparing 70mph and 60mph, but this logic doesn't go down forever, especially when you start getting into the mountains. Once a car gets moving, it's fairly easy to get it into 5th gear pretty quick on flat ground. But I'd say at any highway speeds (above 55mph) it's always going to provide better MPG to drive slower, down to I'd say 55mph (or 50mph in a 55mph zone), at which point going slower just becomes dangerous.

You can try it. Just drive no faster than 55mph on your highway drives for a tank and just see...if anyone can drive that slow! If I'm interested in MPG, I'll just stick to the posted speed limit. Any slower and it just feels dangerous to me.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time again for our weekly gathering of enthusiasts! Maybe we should make tonight a costume chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    Does anyone else here think that gas with Ethanol in it doesn't do very well in the M5? That first tank of gas I got 450 off was from BP but then the next was from HotSpot and had Ethanol in it and I only got like 385 off the tank!!! :confuse: and what's weirder was I was on a road trip, so it was around 90% highway driving...if anything it should've lasted longer?
  • Options
    Can anyone report on their 2008 MPG with the 5spd auto?
  • Options
    nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey, all:

Just wanted to report that 30.35 MPG was, so far, the highest mileage I have gotten out of my new 08 Mazda 5 GT. (Drove 425 mi., and filled up w/14 gal.) We recently had a road trip out to North Carolina from NYC, and that's the best tank that I got - though, I do think I could have squeezed more miles out of it if I didn't get so nervous since the light was on and the needle was squarely on empty). The figure is based on about 90 to 95% highway driving. I was driving mostly anywhere between 65 to 75 mph (used cruise most of the way, but due to some congestion I had to slow down or speed up accordingly).

I figure that once the car breaks in even further, the mileage will get even better! I just find it great that we can easily get more highway mpg out of our 5's than is estimated by the EPA (27mpg). I also think that 70mph is still the sweetspot for the 5. The new one, as you all know, has a new 5 spd auto, which I do believe makes a difference - esp in city figures. The lower revs at highway speeds is immediately noticeable. Wheres as my old 06 5 revved at 3000rpm when travelling at 70mph, my new one revs at slightly above 2500rpm when travelling at 70mph. If I bring the engine speed up to 3000rpm in my 08, the speed goes up to close to 80mph (about 78mph). So, that makes a big difference.
  • Options
    rrhirstrrhirst Member Posts: 8
    We just returned from a weekend trip to visit my parents in NJ - 210 miles each way. This was the 2008 5GT's first road trip.

I calculated 29.8 on the northbound trip to NJ, with a small amount of suburban driving once we were there. I filled it this morning just as we left NJ and filled again when we arrived in our hometown. 34.9!! OK, honest! Cruise set at 70 mph on the NJ Turnpike and I-95 from NJ to northern Virginia. Even the fuel gauge showed the difference - we still had more than half a tank when we arrived back in VA. My 2005 Saab 9-3ss gets 36 on the same trip, so I'm a very happy camper. We're taking the 5GT to Florida this month with 2 kids and luggage for 4, so we'll see how it does on that kind of trip. But, so far we are very pleased with the vehicle - comfortable, smooth, quiet, and stable in today's 25 mph crosswinds.
  • Options
    athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    Hey guys when doing your gas mileage make note if it has ethanol in it. Ethanol makes the emit ions much better because it attracts oxygen but at the expense of gas mileage. You will loose about 10% m/g if there is 10% ethanol.

And yes the 5 speed will always get better mileage a 4 speed of the same ilk.
  • Options
    I belive you got 34.9 as I've been in the 34-35 range several times myself with my 06 5 speed. Not much trick to it, just don't beat it.

My average overall is about 28 so far with about 15k miles on, and I've been over 30 many times. Winter gas here ( WI) has ethanol in it and makes it tough to make it past 30 mpg. Come summer gas though, things will be back to normal again.

I am taking a roadtrip to seattle this summer and expect I will be over 30 average for the trip.

BTW, the car still drives like new.
  • Options
    The best I have done was 6.3L/100Km (44MPG imp- 37 MPG us gallon) at 90km/h (3.5 hour trip 17C,No ethanol in gas). The average I get with mixed 60% city and 40% highway (130km) is 10L/100Km (28.25 imperial 23.52 US gallon). The biggest hit is due to the city driving. Ever since they “dumbed” down the transmission with the “fire” fix they put a delay in the shifting. You probably notice this when if you are slowing down and then need to accelerate and nothing for a second then clunk it goes. You will notice that it takes longer for it to shift down (i.e. from 3 to 2) a gear unless you press excessively on the gas pedal. It is a shame I do like the car but loved it even more before they messed up the transmission.
  • Options
    Wow, 37 mpg? Thats the best I've heard of so far.
  • Options
    lol i tell you i had to fight myself to go that slow and that was before Mazda screwed up the transmission by adding the delay after the idiots set theirs on fire. I wish Mazda would sort it outor let us go back a level. And it was pre ethanol in all the lower levels of gas too. Ya i am sure anyone could do that well but going 90km/hr for over 3 hours is torture lol.
  • Options
    I just did the conversion, 90 kph is 56 mph. That is slow all right!

My best tank ever was last summer, ( no ethanol in gas) with a large portion of trip off interstate with crusie set at 60 mph, plus did'nt need air conditioning and no headwind, and I saw 34.7.

You can really tell the cars loafing at those lower speeds as engine noise is almost gone, and the milage proves it.

I wonder what the best possible roadspeed for fuel economy would be? I know if you go too slow it also drops, same as going too fast. I'll take a guess at 45-50 mph range.
  • Options
    in theory is you had wind at you back and did not get shot from other drivers going as slow as possible to reduce wind resistance but still be in the final gear. I would imagine say 40km /hr even less. the issue comes if you have to overtake or go up an incline as you would need to be at a certain speed to have enough available torque to continue at that speed. ie the revs would be so low that it would need to shift down a gear. If you had skinnier tires to decrease rolling resistance and no othe people too . hey why not just draft of a truck lol btw that is what they did when they had a compatition to see who could get the best milage from the then new prius they followed their van who opened the back doors to make more of a drafting affect lol
  • Options
    2 words for saving on gas at slow speed: dangerous and boring. Live a little and play safe. 2-3 bucks savings at the pump are not worth the risk.
  • Options
    nahag1nahag1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I'm new on this forum, but I've used it to make my decision to buy the car. So thanks to all of you for your postings.
    I have been driving the 08 Touring for the last couple of weeks in suburban driving, and my average MPG so far is 21.
    I went for this car because of the safety standard features it offers at this price range ($ 21500 Out the Door).
    Yes, ESC would have been nice, but for a car that is driven by responsible family people, (Who else would buy this car?), the standard safety features should be enough.
    I do however have a gripe with the tires and wheels it comes with. I think that it is a mistake to have such a low profile tires on such a car as they are more prone to damage by curbs that would not have damaged a regular tire.
    I'm looking forward to a better MPG.
  • Options
    I'm responsible (I think ;)) and I also bought them for family reasons BUT in addition because of the gripes you talk about. I do love the wheels and the low profile tires as no other car in the market offers any of that (on top of Manual Transmission for my wife and myself)

I get 22-25MPG combined in both my cars (06 and 08). Around 30MPG highway (depending of the cruise speed)...

Oh, and Canada sells many Mazda5s and there are no big ESC gripes, plus in other forums you can find that not only families buy them, also several young-single people are buying them because of the Zoom Zoom looking, handling and versatility for cargo :)

I think there were some fuel economy tips around, as long as they are safe and do not make me a boring driver, I'm all for them :)
  • Options
    getsomezoomgetsomezoom Member Posts: 2
    Just bought ours a few weeks ago and on the trip about 4 hours away I just finished yesterday I got 28.5 with some headwind a few times and the climate control set to 71 degrees & Auto for about 95% of the trip. This was running 70-75 MPH most of the way.

2008 Mazda 5 Sport
    5 Speed Manual
  • Options
    We're just back from our 2,200 mile round trip from Northern Virginia to Florida (including local driving in Florida and Savannah, GA), and I said earlier that I would follow up. We averaged 26-33 MPG overall for the trip, but I recorded 35.2 MPG from North Carolina to Savannah, GA and 34.7 MPG yesterday from Savannah to Virginia. Both times were with the cruise set at 70 mph and the ACC set at 70 degrees with AC switch on. There were four of us in the vehicle with third row folded down and full of luggage.

I can't say enough about the way the vehicle cruised - very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. It felt like a large luxury vehicle with the load we were transporting. This is our fifth Mazda, and perhaps it will be the best we have owned. My 1990 MPV is my favorite so far, but this vehicle may surpass that - time will tell.
  • Options
    ashokcgashokcg Member Posts: 2
    I get 21 and 29 in city and highway with my mazda5 2007 touring.
  • Options
    gschulzgschulz Member Posts: 17
    rrhirst- I am impressed with the results of your trip in the Mazda5. I am thinking of purchasing one and am wondering at 70 MPH with the AC on and four people (assuming adults) and luggage if the 5 has ample power at that configuration? Also would appreciate any other input you would offer before I purchase.-Thanks
  • Options
    mrbwa1mrbwa1 Member Posts: 42
    gschulz: Haven't had the ocasion to do 4 + AC, but have lugged around 4 adults quite a bit and even 4 adults + 2 kids. Power is still plenty. The only time I wanted more was in unfamiliar territory when I had to pull out onto a 40 MPH road with limited sight. Other than that, power at speed is fine.

Also, A/C should be a problem if you really need power, as the A/C should disengage if you have to floor it.
  • Options
    rrhirst, Thanks for the imput, out of the four on your trip two were then children o.k. they count too. Couldn't find a Grand in the crystal whiter pearl which I prefer so taking a Touring, should be at the dealer in a week or two. Looking for good things to come from the 5
  • Options
    Lol! Clarifications for some of the skeptics out there... Yes, two of the passengers were my kids - 9 and 11 YO. But as far as having the wind at my back and driving slow, I don't drive slow. I set the cruise at 70 - honestly. To pass, I take it up to 75-80. I just keep it steady and avoid punching the accelerator as much as possible. The vehicle has been on several trips now, from 400 miles R/T to NJ up to 2200 miles for a trip to Florida. Yes, both routes are mainly flat, and that helps MPG. I'm still getting 33-35 MPG on long cruises and 22-24 in suburban NoVA.

And honestly again, I get 34-36 MPG with my Saab 93ss. I'm just a steady driver on long trips.

mrbwa1: Did you pick up your white Touring yet? If so, how do you like it? Good luck. I'm still very pleased with our 5. The neighbors are asking a lot of questions too.
  • Options
    I'm not mrbwa1, but we picked up our white Touring on tax day, drove it 180 mi. home got 31.02 varying the speed as they told me at the dealer. The new car always goes to the wife and her driving city & suburban to work and errands she got 29.8 not bad, today I used it put on 289.4 mi. of which about 50 were city and got 33.65, like you said not much to it just punch the cruise at 70 and let'er roll all this with 1343. mi. on the car shouldn't have a problem getting 35 with all highway and a few more miles on the car. To say the least we are very happy with the 5. Stepping down from a Town & Country the ride and room isn't quite as nice but there are other things such as handling braking and just over all a more fun vehicle to drive.
  • Options
    Sorry about the ID, gschulz, but congratulations. It is a fun vehicle to drive. We'll have some 400 mile R/Ts coming up, but our next long trip (~1600 miles R/T) will be to western Michigan this coming July. I'm looking forward to driving the 5 long distances again. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Just for clarification, I live in Wisconsin so U.S. gal., temp. was 33 in the morning 46 on return in the afternoon, the two fills before were no ethenol fills. Temp. and gas can make a difference. May all your trips be safe ones.
  • Options
    hondax2hondax2 Member Posts: 9
    Best reading: 33.5 MPG (all state highway speeds). Worst reading -- 21.5 (high winds and a fair amount of sitting in traffic). Mixed driving average of first 1000 miles -- 27.6 MPG. WOW! I am thrilled. I keep wondering if the EPA ratings are set too low on the Mazda5. This seems to be one of the few "Real World Numbers" boards where reports run on the higher side.