Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lildanbassmanlildanbassman Member Posts: 10
    Yes - it was in my case anyway. I think they are treating the dealer incentives and CARS trade-in incentives as two separate things.
  • cyclone83cyclone83 Member Posts: 60
    An extra $500 would be awesome!

Edit: I called Mazda USA customer service as well, and the guy I spoke with said there is no $500 on top of cash for clunkers. Strange...of course last time I called, a guy said there was no $1750 rebate as well.
    In case you didn't see it on the previous page, here's the Twitter post that confirms the $500 incentive from Mazda.

http://twitter.com/cashclunkers/status/2732217732

good luck!
    I did, I just wish they had a source to back it up. Hopefully it's true and everyone gets it!

Update: I asked one of the dealers I had been talking to, and he confirmed it.
  • kelbratkelbrat Member Posts: 2
    I love my Mazda 5- perfect for me and the two growing boys. My husbands' super cramped in the passenger seat though- he's 6'1".

So I paid $18,600 for the Touring, White/Sand. + $55 docs, and tax only- no other fees. Edmunds and these forums really helped. :shades: :)
  • lostshadowslostshadows Member Posts: 2
    We're in the Triangle in Raleigh, NC. I've been working hard with several dealers and no one can seem to go to 19500 like I've seen on the these posts (not including TTL, fees)...The lowest I've gotten is a GT with no extras for 21,109 plus TTL and fees.
  • lostshadowslostshadows Member Posts: 2
    Can't seem to find the 19500 with dealers in NC. Lowest quote was 20100 not including TTL and fees. Is 19500 just a pipe dream here?
    Not a pipe dream. How many dealers are you talking with? I talked to dealers in SD, IA, MO, WI, and IL. I only got 2-3 good prices from all of those dealers. I took those good prices to my local dealers in MN, and only one of those agreed to match it.

I'd recommend getting pricing from dealers outside of NC, and then taking the best prices back to your local dealerships. You can also try the braggle feature at www.autobrag.com. I anonymously offered $19500 to tons of dealerships in the midwest, only one accepted, but that was all I needed. You have to be patient when waiting for responses though.
  • sherofthe80ssherofthe80s Member Posts: 43
    Sounds great! I wasn't truly looking forward to buying a new car but with the clunkers program we couldn't resist. I like the idea of not having car payments and have gotten pretty used to that notion over the years. My husband is also tall and we have 2 growing boys...sounds like we're making a pretty good purchase! Negotiating was almost too easy, but I feel really good about the $18,550 and if we can get $500 more knocked off after the 24th with that extra incentive, that's just icing. Can't wait to get the car now!
    So did my dealer. Just spoke with him. We're now down to 18,050+ for our Touring including the $500 clunkers incentive through Mazda.
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    Just put a deposit on Touring w/ bumper guard @ $18200, Probably could
    have done a little better but I was happy with the price and it was the color
    we were having trouble finding.
    Anyone know if CFC money is considered a rebate or trade value. A rebate is taxable and the trade value isn't.
  • teachermommyteachermommy Member Posts: 9
    sweet ... I'll be sure to ask for that extra $500, and you're telling me, $5k for Old Blue (a Ford Windstar POS on its 3rd transmission and an interior that looks like 4 kids were raised in it... wait, they were!!)

can-not-WAIT :) :shades: :D
    Just heard from a dealer I gave a deposit to last week. Tha price has now dropped to $17900 for a touring. I think this is a good as I'm going to get.

:):)
  • jwunderjwunder Member Posts: 10
    Since you have a deposit down, can I ask you what dealer you used? NJ is not that far from Virginia.

Thanks
  • bde1bde1 Member Posts: 12
    Is the 17,900 a final OTD price or does it exclude some things (like doc fee and/or sales tax?)
    $17900 plus tax & tags & $129 doc fee.
    Noticed the car I'm getting is listed for 21,670 with no options which is up from 21,590. I know mine just came in off the boat. Is this in preperation for 2010?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large magazine reporter is looking to speak to consumers interested in talking to recent car buyers who have negotiated good deals in these tough economic times. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 23, 2009.
    Left a deposit on a in stock Mazda5 @ 8:00 pm. Called them @ 2:00 the next day to cancel the deal and they refuse to refund my deposit. The salesman never said
    it wasn't refundable. What do I do now?
    Hmm, that stinks. Why the change of heart?

I was actually researching this the other day for kicks...

Did you sign anything, or was it more of a handshake agreement? Did you pay by credit card?
    I'm not sure about NJ, but when we put our deposit down last week I asked if it was non-refundable and the salesman said that it's against the law to not refund a deposit in NY. He did make it a point to tell us that some dealers will be slimy and put the deposit down on the contract as a "transport fee" or something thereby making it a fee, not a deposit. I hope you get your money back...that's not right!
    I did sign the buyers agreement (contract). The agreement doesn't even
    show my $500 deposit. I do have a credit card slip. I plan on disputing the charge.
    I changed my mind because a dealer close to me just received the color we
    wanted and they were $300 cheaper, plus the one at Maple shade had some scratches. Plus I just left with a bad feeling about them. I guess I was right.
    That's a bummer. FWIW - my dealer here in MO also said that the deposit is non-refundable.
    My problem is they never said it was non-refundable. Till the next day.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I say if they dont want to refund you the money, have that dealer trade another Mazda5 for the one they just received in the color you wanted at the other dealer. They want to play hardball then catch it and throw it back...

At least get the color and model you initially wanted even if your out $300

thats my $0.02
    I'm going to dispute the charge on the card. If I lose the $500 at least I'm going to make them work for it. But I'll fight them with everything I got. Nothing would get me to do buisness with this dealer.
    It's principal now.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Before you do that... just go back by the dealer and talk to the finance manager.. Tell him that you aren't buying a car from them and want the charges reversed. Most dealerships don't want the hassle of hanging on to your money..

That will be a lot easier than dealing with your credit card company..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I talked to the sales manager & General manager. The GM hung up on me. I'll
    be filling a compaint tomorrow with NJ consumer afairs & Better Buisness Bureua.
    So it looks like the Mazda5 qualifies for the $4500 CARS rebate. Then Mazda throws in another $500, and you may even get a little scrap value from the dealer. This brings the price of our 2009 GT w/ a few options down to around $14500. That's insane.
    I put a deposit down on a Maz5 today. The dealer gets like $50 for your clunker. Mazda is giving a $500 rebate for clunkers. The dealer said vouchers are not up yet any where in the country and "CARS" will probably not be up until Monday.
    We had originally planned to pick up our car tomorrow, the dealer sent me a note yesterday saying that program rollout is Monday. Barring any snags, we hope to go Monday. I also noticed on the CARS website that they changed the start date to 7/27 when it originally said 7/24.

It is insane. Essentially $13,500 for our Touring....hot diggity.
  • proravenproraven Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I live in Maryland and have found a 2009 Mazda5 Touring with an MSRP of $21,810.

My 1997 Ford Expedition qualifies perfectly for the CARS program - it drives with 120k miles, it's insured, and I have the title.

Here are my questions:

With an MSRP of $21,810, what's a fair price to offer for this Touring model in Maryland?

There is a $500 CARS incentive from Mazda. Is this in addition to the $1750 rebate that is also available?

Final question: is it worth pursuing a Sport model, since it is less expensive? A Sport model might be hard to find at this point.

Thanks for any and all advice.
    do the TMV evaluation at edmunds. It depends on the options you are talking about. The best I have gotten for a sport automatic is a little over $2800 under MSRP.If you are in Maryland I would suggest calling Castle. ALthough I didn't buy my car from there because it was the wrong color, they treated me very well.
    We are purchasing our Touring for $18,050 including the $500 incentive. The sticker was around $21,790 and they are tossing in the all weather mats. We're supposed to pick up on Monday w/our clunker.
    Oh and we live in Western NY. The price I gave above includes all incentives.
  • proravenproraven Member Posts: 2
    Okay, that helps. $18050 including the $500 rebate, and you have a similar MSRP to my car.

Do you know if the $1750 rebate is still valid?

I'm assuming you're going to subtract your CARS incentive from $18,050?

It would be nice to pick up a nice new car-mini-van for around $13,500. :)
    I recall that the dealer told me that the $1750 was good through 8/3 so there is a small window between now and then to get that incentive. We'll take $4500 off of the $18050...$13,500 is a sweet deal indeed.

Plus, because of President Obama's stimulus implemented in February, there is some tax advantage to purchasing a car this year. When I was younger, driving around in a new car was important to me. These days, not so much, but with a deal like this we can't refuse it. Knock on wood I'll be driving this car for many many years to come.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I have a question. Would trading in a 2006 Mazda5 for a new 2009 Mazda5 entittle me to the CARS program? how much? 3500? 4500?

***never mind, I just answered my own question with the link the Mazda website has. It seems like only vehicles that have a combined EPA of 18 or less will qualify***
  • staypuftstaypuft Member Posts: 6
    Just drove home a new Sport Auto with Popular package.

20395 MSRP
    -3000 Dealer Discount (incl dealer cash)
    -500 Mazda CARS bonus cash
    -4500 CARS Clunker w/ 15 MPG
    -50 scrap
    = 12345 before TT&L

Score! I love this car so far.

Most Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area dealers offered around 3k off via email quotes.
    $17900 including $1750 and $500 CFC money. Car listed for $21,790. Also got $150 for scrap value. So $13250 with $4500 Clunker plus Tax and Tags.
    Thank You Barack and fellow tax payers and our children Oh and Thank YOU to my Grandchildren who are going to pay for this.
    Just picked up our new 2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring, so excited to finally have it after months of waiting!!! Sticker price was about $23593...CARS program and rebates brought the price down to $14620. Wasn't quite the lowest price we found, but distance to dealerships and car colors (red, fresh from the factory) made us choose this dealership. Very excited!!!!! Good luck to the rest of you! :shades: BTW, we didn't get anything for scrap value, I didn't push them very hard, but I had my reasons...
  • surajsuraj Member Posts: 3
    I got offer for $18500 OTD for sport without any options base price is 16700/- .Dealer mentioned he has included dealer incentive of $1750. is this a good price ? Please help
  • kamilkamil Member Posts: 3
    I am also considering to get a Mazda5 with CARS program. I have not been to a dealer yet and I could not find much information about the $500 CARS incentive that you mention in your message. Can you please point me to a source (orobably on mazda web site) regarding the $500 CARS incentive. Thanks, Kamil
    I also looked online and couldn't find much about that $500 incentive, but my dealer told me that Mazda was offering the incentive in conjunction with the CARS program. I've heard this from other M5 purchasers as well. You can always start off by sending emails to dealerships looking for the lowest price. We did all of our negotiating online. Keep in mind that the $1750 ends on 8/3 I believe.
    Is that for an Automatic? If it is manual trans. no that is not very comp.. For an automatic it may be. TMV for automatic base sport is around $17300, what are your sales tax and registration costs?
    I did get the extra $500 on Saturday and the $1750 which ends 8/3/09 but most dealers think that should be continued. Got a touring for $17900 plus Tax & tags & doc.
  • surajsuraj Member Posts: 3
    Yes this is for Automatic Sport with no options, my tax rate is 9.75% registration cost is around $274.

Invoice: 18400 - 1750 = 16650
    T/T = *.975 x 16650 + 274 = 1897
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Total OTD = 18547
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Is this a Good deal ?
  • stillaludditestillaluddite Member Posts: 4
    2 weeks ago we got a sport AT in oakland for $15950 + tax/lic/reg and a $55 "doc fee." (it was 17,844 OTD). if you're in the bay area (CA) you can check tax/lic/reg here:
    https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do

so, $18500 OTD is ~$600 more than us. you might do a little better.

your price also depends on if the inventory is getting low. the last shipment of 2009's came in the day before we bought ours, the next shipment will supposedly be 2010's. you might have a lot of competition from other buyers, now that the cash for clunkers (CARS) program has started. those people might be not driving as hard a bargain when they're getting $5000 off from the government. the dealers don't pay that money, so they still make their profit, and meanwhile the customer is happy with a new car for $12000.

maybe counteroffer a few hundred lower by phone/email, and ask for some easy options tossed in, like mats, cargo liner, etc.. then they only lose the profit on the mats (since they probably cost the dealer $30, not $80"). watch out when you go in to sign, though. nail it all down before you go in. once you are in the door, if you ask for anything extra tossed in, they act like they're doing you a favor just to stick to the agreed upon price ("we could sell this car for $500 more, easily... that couple there just bought the same car for much more..."). they challenge you to walk away, since they know at that point you likely will just go through with the purchase.
  • stillaludditestillaluddite Member Posts: 4
    edmunds says invoice on sport AT no options is $17,899. we were shown the "invoice," for ours, but it looked not like a true invoice, just a printout with a stamped signature. i think it was lower than $18400.
  • c_j_falkc_j_falk Member Posts: 4
    1. I have to revise my earlier post. The dealership that I had signed a contract with (Lou Fusz Mazda) for a 2009 Silver Sport w/ AT and no other options for $16,600 did not come up with that car. The deal was predicated on them trading with another dealership to get that car for me, and they did not. I went with another dealer (Bommarito South) on 7/23 for the same car supposedly right off the truck with 2 miles on it for 16,898 OTD. This works out to invoice (including destination charge) minus the $1750 dealer incentive, so, assuming the invoice numbers that we get from Edmund's, Kelly and the like are accurate, the dealer pocketed a total of roughly $390 (which equates to the holdback of 2% of base MSRP).

2. I'm not sure if the forum prohibition about posting email addresses applies to sales people/dealerships or to us as forum members too. If you're actually going to buy in the St. Louis area (and not just call for quotes) and want more information on my buying experience, I'd be happy to email with you, but I need confirmation that I can provide my email address here.

3. I found the inventory on Mazdausa.com to be woefully inaccurate, it was basically a waste of time. I'd say you need to talk with the individual dealers, which is not very efficient when you're shopping in a big radius.

4. Neither dealer could/would say anything about the 2010s other than they historically came in around September give or take and that they could still order 2009, so the 2010s weren't in production yet. My uneducated guess is that the silence means that the 5s will see virtually no changes for 2010 (maybe paint color) or will be discontinued.

5.Good luck to all.