Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• romodomeromodome Member Posts: 13
    I finally got to drive my new Mazda 5 and I was checking it all out, and I noticed the third row, when flat has just a thin piece of plywood covered with the carpeting to protect it. The rear area, where the tools and extra tire are was lifted and you can see the thin pice of plywood sticking out. I started pressing down on it and was suprised how soft it was. Now, I dont ususally put heavy stuff in there, but I now have the fear that it may crack or not last a long time. Anyone else notice this or have problems with it. I noticed on my CRV, with the 2nd row down, its a hard plastic shell that is firm to the touch and I have handled heavy tile and wood flooring for my house, but I cant imagine the Mazda being to handle much more then pillows and light luggage without it getting damaged. Well, that was the only negative I found it the car, its been good so far.
  • dherabadidherabadi Member Posts: 6
    Could you refer me to the person you are dealing with at Browning? PM wit with private message in case this is not allowed.
    $16,200 is a killer deal!!!!! :surprise:
    I dont have his phone number, but type in 92025 as your area code using overstock.com pricing, the price that comes up is $16,477.00 for the Sport AT and he said he would honor $16,200.00. I am thinking he cuts out overstock commission or something. Its Browning Mazda and they are top notch!
    Hey, there is an increase in the cash back. If you check overstock.com and use zip code 92025, its $15,777 for the Sport Auto. The GT is $19,100.00
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    Wow! I will check out with my local deal and post the updated information.
  • kclisskcliss Member Posts: 3
    Do those of you who've used the S-plan know if can be used on top of (or before) all the incentives? From what I've read, consumer incentives can be used, but I can't find anything about dealer incentives.

Right now there is a $2000 "Marketing Support" incentive listed on Edmunds.com, and I'm wondering if that can be applied in addition to any s-plan pricing.

I've gotten price quotes for about $16,400 for the Sport Auto, which I assume includes that $2K figure. It's a great figure, but, of course, it'd be great if I could get even more knocked off.
    I think there is a $2000.00 marketing support AND $500.00 customer cash. The best I found was $15,500.00 at Browning Mazda, near Los Angeles. I had just bought one a few weeks ago for $16,200.00 and a friend was soo impressed he wanted one and that is the price they wanted. They now went up to $16,000.00 but I think the deals will only get better in November and December. Try overstock.com and the zip code 92025. According to it, $16,000 is the best price in 120 certified mazda dealerships, but I think you can do slightly better.
    Cool. Overstock came back with $14,889 for 92025, though they quote $16,800 in my market (Chicago), which I've already bettered.

Do you know, though, if the S-plan can bring that down any farther? In other words, can I get an S-plan discount on top of the $2500 or so incentives?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Mazda 5 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited October 2010
    I don't know who you were dealing with at Browning in Cerritos, but this is my experience:
    After filling up the price request with the USAA website (similar engine with Overstock).Immediattely got a call from the Browning and email. So I reply to the emails (there were 2 persons that contacted me from this dealer) and tell them that I prefer email thus not to bother with the phone. That's not helping as the phone call keep coming and I keep ignoring it. I looked into the Mazdausa website for the inventory in their lot (very accurate by the way) and tell them exactly which car I want and just need a confirmation by email that they will honor it (don't want to drive 80 miles just to be told no) Boy this is like pulling teeth, they never want to commit. they keep saying invoice 19K and $1500 off, with comment the overstock price is only for cash purchase. I told them I have my own financing and it should be the same as cash for them! One of them finally reply $3100 off invoice ( the price certificate is for $4100 off) $17K. What's give?! Do I have the wrong sales person, and if this internet sales why they used their phone a lot???!! Anyway Going to try Riverside Mazda, they are not the lowest but no stupid game.
    Wow, sorry about that. I cant print the person's name according to past posts, but his name rhymes with Nader. I had no problems getting my price ($16,200 w/ overstock cert. showing the price as $16,477). I had no hassles. Email me and I'll fish out the email and cell phone numbers for those that helped me. I do notice they are no longer a "certified" mazda dealer on overstock.com, so maybe they are doinig the bait and switch and I got lucky. my email is dromo3@yahoo.com.

Regards,

David
  • axc4466axc4466 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2010 Mazda5 today at Bob Baker Mazda in Carlsbad, Southern California

The negotiated price for a black Sport Auto was $15,587. This is $200 below the current Overstock price for my zip code 92122. I added dealer-installed DVD option for $900 (invoice price was $950) for the total car price of $16,487. With TTL the OTD price was $18,430.

There are still quite a few of these cars on dealers' lots in the San Diego area and the deals are getting better by the day as the new 2011 Mazda5 is going to be officially introduced in the US in the Los Angeles Auto Show in November. But I wanted to get this car before it disappears from the lots so I decided to pull the trigger now. I had a chance to check the new 2011 Mazda5 when I was in Europe two weeks ago and to me it is not worth the $5K price difference. From outside it looks like a real minivan which I didn't like and from inside the new dashboard didn't look better or worse. The only advantage to me is one additional inch of legroom in the second row seating but again not worth $5K.

Happy with the car, especially my wife who says it drives like a car with the convenience of a van.
    Great Deal! Man, I live about 15 miles from Carlsbad and I Didnt even remember they had a Mazda Dealership. Congrats on the deal, and may the deals get better and better. Its a great car so far (I paid $16,200) From Browning Mazda in Tustin about 1 1/2 months ago and I thought I got a great deal!

This car is huge in Europe and Canada, I think its like Ikea, good use of its limited room. yeah, its small compared to an Odyssey or Sienna, but the majority of people with 1 or even 2 kids dont need all that room, the Mazda 5 is a good 'tweener, and the Mazda 5 uses his limited room to make it seem more spacious that it is.
  • edbuttersedbutters Member Posts: 1
    I actually bought Mazda5 Auto yesterday with DVD player for 18,000 which was the overstock price for my zip 98007.
    Total price with tax, registration was 20,200

Looking at what others have paid I feel that I have paid too much for it.
    Finally completed a deal for a white/tan Touring at Wilkins Mazda in Elmhurst, IL. The price, $19,107 (before tax and fees), was a bit higher than some others in the area, but they were very generous with the trade allowance. I mean that; I had a pretty good idea of what the trade was worth, and they surprised me. I'd recommend them; they seem to be pretty up-front, and the service department is competent, too, a plus, since they're the closest dealer to my location.
    Romodome,
    I was dealing with Browning Mazda in Cerritos not the Browning in Tustin, that's why I got the different treatment. To make it short don't go to Browning Mazda In "Cerritos", they will not honored your overstock certificate.
    I went to Riverside Mazda in the Riverside Metro Automall. Great experience and got a Liquid Silver 2010 Sports Auto with popular package for $16,084 +TTL = total paid $17861.91. No game in this dealer showed the certificate, the sales guy talk to the manager and came up with the contract at the price specified. Spent 1.5 hours max at the dealer. This is the future of car buying, I was dreading to buy a new car before but after this I will pick a Mazdaspeed 3 next year for myself because I enjoyed the experience so much.
  • boytroy88boytroy88 Member Posts: 1
    Seems like no one else has made a purchase lately?? I'm in the SoCal region and am looking to get one in a few days and was wondering if anyone have any pointers in getting a good price for the sports model. I am hoping I can get the pricing romodome and a few others received. Thanks in advance for the help!
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent purchaser of a minivan, who is a male. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, January 21, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• amterrioamterrio Member Posts: 8
    We bought our Mazda5 last Satruday and paid $11,425. So far we love it!
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    Did you buy a used one? How many miles for that car? Auto or Manual? Thanks.
  • amterrioamterrio Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    Sorry for the lack of detail. I'm new to this "being excited about a new car" thing as all of my past car purchases were cars that were 7+ yrs old =)

We bought our Mazda 5 Sport at Mastria Subaru in Raynham, Ma.
    We bought it used and it had 44,645 miles on it the day we picked it up. It's an automatic. It was previously used as a rental car, hence the high mileage and low price for the year of the car.

I had test driven several cars before I settled on the Mazda5. The fold down 3rd row seating was very attractive to me. The other attractive feature was the MPG. $41 to fill it up compared to the $60 it took to fill my old Ford Windstar.

Love it so far!
  • tempnemtempnem Member Posts: 1
    I, too, filled out a USAA price certificate. Same problem, they only want to talk on the phone (I have a feeling we're talking about the same manager) and provide no commitment. She said she would honor the price when the car came in that I was quoted (note that USAA quotes are good for the current inventory only). I asked for an e-mail to spell out everything so I could understand. She refused and said she could provide info when i decided to come in so I'd be ready. If you will honor the price, why can't you write it down? Tricky....I'm about ready to head to Riverside.
  • mdashimdashi Member Posts: 6
    My wife & I traded in a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX (at 131k w/ onset of transmission troubles) for a new 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring. MSRP $24,870, negotiated price of $23,199 (so 1670 off of MSRP) and we got 900 better on our trade in than any other dealership was willing to offer. Of course they gave us 4k for the trade in and said they'd have to auction it, then two days later the old van is on their lot with a "SALE" price of 6995. Gotta love dealers!

So far, the wife loves the 5 and the Bluetooth phone & wireless music streaming is very cool!
    edited May 2011
    tempnem, you could also try the John Hines Mazda (the one in Irvine or SanDiego). The problem with Riverside Mazda for me personally eventhough I ended buying from them was inventory. They have a very limited number of car in my opinion...Good Luck
  • pbwhitepbwhite Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Purchased a 2012 Mazda5 Touring with moon roof/audio package, rear bumper guard, cargo net, wheel locks and all-weather floor mats for $21,364 (MSRP: $23,300, Invoice: $21,759).

Location: Gallo Mazda, Worcester, MA, June 2011. Buying experience was excellent, and very happy with purchase.
  • tustiktustik Member Posts: 2
    Did the price include TTL? If it didn't what was the OTD price? I'm looking to buy 2012 sport auto but so far couldn't find one in the price range I'd accept.
  • abctwhite2abctwhite2 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a Mazda 5 Sport AT for $19888 (down from $20990 sticker) with total cost $22332 OTD.
    Had a good experience at Oakland Mazda in Oakland calif.
  • tustiktustik Member Posts: 2
    2012 Mazda5 Sport in tampabay, FL. Price was 18600+TTL.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like prices in your area are similiar to here, Sport with Auto $19,621.00 and Sport manual for $18,675
  • mrsmazda5mrsmazda5 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    We just bought a black 08 Touring Auto with 64000miles, leather and dvd for 14,995. It is in really great shape and am happy with our purchase from Briggs Nissan/Subaru/Kia in Kansas. The rear drivers side strut is out, but they agreed to fix it for us.

After purchase we took her for a 2.5hr road trip and it was the best trip we have yet with 2 kiddos (2 & 4), and a 1yr old (100lb) great dane. LOVE it so far.
  • dealer_gurudealer_guru Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Just purchased a 2012 GT with weather mats, rear view mirror option. MSRP 25,045 Invoice was 23,475 if I remember correctly. Anyways, I paid 22,800 but it gets better that's with Remote Start included!!!! Then to ice it off I got them to give me more money for my car than what it was worth.

I used to be a car sales manager. I forgot what an advantage that is when buying a car. It's been a long time. Hope this helps others!!!
  • danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    I am interested in a GT too. What do you mean by "rear view mirror option"?

Thanks.
  • mdashimdashi Member Posts: 6
    The "rear view mirror option" is a dealer installed auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and Homelink controls. I think it is somewhere around 300 bucks. I passed on the option on our '12 GT.
  • greg_h1greg_h1 Member Posts: 1
    Mazda5 Touring with moonroof/audio package, all-weather floor mats, and window tinting for 20600. Generous trade-in and a fast, enjoyable transaction with no nonsense from reception to financial office.
  • squigglessquiggles Member Posts: 2
    Frustrated with the lack of discounting but think it might be due to the earthquake restricting supply. Dealers seemed to only have 1-2 of this model and trim in stock. Here's what I got (Libertyville via email and then follow up for the trade):

MSRP 19990
    Rebate -500
    Discount -208
    Before doc fee 19282 (zag.com quotes for this line were 19286, 19386, 19386. Other direct-to-dealer email quotes were 19292, 19513 and 19413 - none of these included the doc fee)
    Doc Fee 156
    After Doc Fee 19438
    Trade in (3,000) (Carmax offered 3000. Dealer initially offered 1200 and met Carmax offer when I told them about it)
    Title 145
    Tax 1396
    Out the door: 17979

That's how I discussed it with the salesman. For some reason the business manager wrote this up as:

Price of Car 19,940
    Doc Fee 156
    Trade in (3,200)
    Rebate (500)
    Title 145
    Tax 1,438
    Out the door 17,979

If I didn't have the Carmax trade reference prices and the zag.com quotes - which were the best I thought I could do elsewhere - I think I would have walked away. Really didn't feel like I could do better. I was also considering a 2010 from Carmax for 18598 with 20k miles. The difference seemed worth it for new. Also frustrated that I couldn't seem to save on the zag.com quotes even when I told the dealer I was trying to save us both the referral fee (I think they pay $300 for the referral).
  • squigglessquiggles Member Posts: 2
    I was complaining to my wife about the lack of discounting and she just pointed out that I had the MSRP wrong. It was 20990, not 19990. Maybe an unconscious negotiating strategy on my part.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Oxmoor Mazda seems to be offering "4000 off MSRP!" for a 2012 Mazda5. It's probably for the manual, but that's the better vehicle by far in my opinion anyway...Great deal for anyone in the area.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • andymc4610andymc4610 Member Posts: 1
    We bought it new in July for $17,700 sport AT...chased down the add car. There are 5 dealers in the portland OR metro area no tax, nice and smooth ride. been averaging about 28 mix city and hwy.
  • packer84packer84 Member Posts: 1
    Very satisfied with the selection of cars avaiable, dealers were very knowledgable and they answered all the questions to picking out the right car for me
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    Discounts of $2500 to over $2900 listed right on the website for new 2012 Mazda 5's. Seems like a pretty good deal based on current incentives and what others have indicated they've paid.
  • cee1jaycee1jay Member Posts: 4
    Painless purchasing experience with Browning Mazda in Cerritos CA. First offer via email was $20,412 + ttl. My friend and I showed them a quote from zag and they beat it by $10 using the $300 LA auto show rebate.
  • vwmazdavwmazda Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Scored one for $19960 before TTL. Dealer beat the truecar price by 400 after quite a bit of haggling. This is in Northern CA.
  • oyuwtapoyuwtap Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    would you share which dealership you went to (in nor-cal)?
    i am in the market for a touring as well.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    One of our relatives visited us over Christmas, and his rental car was a new Mazda5. I was really impressed by the car, and I think it would be perfect for our 3 small kids. $40K for a new Odyssey is insane.

Of course the rental was an automatic, but what really appeals to us is the manual version. Has anyone bought/driven a new Mazda5 with the 6-speed manual? What did you think of it?
  • jzlydenjzlyden Member Posts: 1
    Could you please let me know at what dealership you got this price? I also live in Portland.
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    I'm not exactly the guy you want an answer from, but I do own, since new, both a 2006 Mazda5 with 5MT and a 2010 Mazda3 2.5L with 6MT. So my 3 has exactly the same powertrain as a new 5 would with an MT. I like both cars very much, and the 2010 2.5L 6MT is a distinct improvement on the 2006 MZ5's, that I believe is due to more than just the 300 lb less weight the 3 is carrying. The newer car drives very well, a big improvement over the older 5. One thing I suspect would still be present in the brand-new 5 is that our 5 has a mushier-feeling shift linkage. But it's not that bad. I would definitely recommend (or buy myself, if I needed to) a manual 2012 MZ5.
  • richardmayorichardmayo Member Posts: 26
    Received a quote on a 2012 Mazda5 Sport manual of $17,701 before TTL, in the Portland, OR area.

Would like to hear of others recent quotes to determine if this is competitive, or not.
  • thanatos72thanatos72 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    MSRP: $24,823 ($24,025 + $795 doc fee)
    Invoice: $23,290 ($22,495 + 795)

Trade-In: $13,500 for a 2010 mazda5 with 30k ($1,500 more than what Edmunds said I should get) but I had $15,163 still on the loan, which the dealer paid-off, so I carried a negative equity of $1,663.

Paid: $26,445 out of the door, which includes $22,676 (car price, including doc. fee) + $2,874 (tax, tile, fees and negative equity) + $895 (gap insurance)

The car came with a few extras that the dealer agreed to take care of as part of the deal, namely:

1) Remote Start Engine ($320);
    2) DVD Entertainment system ($960)
    3) Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and homelink ($295)

According to Edmunds, the TMV for this car with the above extras would have been $24,314 (plus tax, title, fee and gap insurance). So unless I missed something, I think (hope) that I got a good deal.

P.S.: By the way, the sticker indicates that the dealer also did “wheel opening protection mouldings, Autogard acid rain protection and custom interior protector with 5-year warranty” (a $890 value). It probable is something that they do to all cars to protect them in the lot.
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who owns a minivan or considered purchasing a minivan, but opted for a crossover or SUV. If you own a minivan or considered purchasing one, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Thursday, April 12, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• berchooberchoo Member Posts: 2
    Bought a new Mazda5 Touring for $20,000 plus MA sales tax $1,250, doc fee $195, Registration, $125. Total out the door: $21,570
    Tasca motors in Seekonk