Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jsheafferjsheaffer Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 5 speed sport with the temp. and compass mirror and a few other minor options for $17,450 (plus TTL). I'm concerned about weak AC, so we're having the windows professionally tinted next week ($230).
  • dinrebdinreb Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I went to the Mazda dealer to test drive the M5 and we made a deal. It was totallly unexpected. I paid $18910 for a GT with AT. We had a trade in so our finally payment is $4000 including everything. I think I had a good deal.
  • mrmcc33mrmcc33 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a Mazda5 yesterday: the only Phantom Blue Touring Manual on the East Coast. Seems like it'll be a perfect fit with our new addition (3 month old).

Paid 19k for it, but got wheel locks and cross bars for the roof.

MM
  • rushkyrushky Member Posts: 3
    This is at Premier Mazda Milwaukee, OR. After agreeing on a price with one of the sales person at this dealer, I traveled to Portland from Seattle to get the M5. I had to that far because they had the trim and color my wife wanted. As soon as I arrived at the dealership and asked for particular salesman I have been dealing with, I was told he does not work on the weekends. And this is in spite of the fact that particular salesman I dealt with assured me that he will be in and have the paper work ready. The price negotiations involved several consultations with his manager. I assumed the manager is all aware of everything. I had informed the salesman that I’ll be flying in from Seattle, so I gave him all detail for him to start the paperwork.

As soon as I stepped into the dealership, the first question the so called sales manager asked me was, “are you the one who wanted the M5?” I said yes. “what price did **** give you?” I told him the price. Then in a typical stereotypical con artist, he blubbered “well, you see, **** is very new here and does not know the price of that car” But I told him that **** he consulted you or some manager here several times during our negotiating phase, so what are implying? He said that they cannot sell that car for that price but he’ll give me a good deal. Unbelievable! Well, that was it. Not being too smart or stupid, I left.

Something did not seem right in the whole of that dealership place. Hungry and high pressured looking sales people were pacing up and down outside the building waiting for victims for bait and switch. This a very low-life scam-like way of doing business that has place in today’s world. Or maybe they thought since I came from too far away I would be desperate to leave with a car. Shame on them!

Looking back, the dealership fits the profile a nightmarish experience at a car dealer’s lot. You have been warned, if you have any dignity left in you, stay away from Premier Mazda. Car shopping is stressful enough.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    So your saying that you flew out of state to a dealership without having a deal locked in writing signed by you and the dealership??

Why didn't you go to your local dealer, agree to a deal and have them do a dealer swap?

Your story isnt new....There are stories all over edmunds of folks traveling long distances to get a car only to find out the deal has changed or something left out.
  • rushkyrushky Member Posts: 3
    It is the first time I am doing a new car shopping...So I was naive enough to trust someone who soundend as if they knew what they were talking about. Now I know better of course! Actually, I went to my local dealer and got what I wanted. it is all a learning :blush: ">
  • needamazda5needamazda5 Member Posts: 4
    After several months of looking for a black, automatic, sport, Mazda 5 we finally purchased one for $17300 from Gaithersburg Mazda in MD. I was firm on not having a freight charge added so we were happy to get out the door with taxes/title/tags, etc for just under $18500. Looking forward to picking it up this Saturday. Is anyone out there buying the Teflon coating, our dealership is recommending it for the black clear coat. Is this necessary?? Looking forward to our Zoom Zoom! :shades:
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Teflon coating?!?! U gonna cook eggs on the car? :P

That is a new one. I hadn't heard of dealers selling teflon coatings... What is it suppose to do?
  • awc13awc13 Member Posts: 1
    In the past couple of years, automotive chemical companies figured out that teflon can be a useful ingredient in paint sealants and waxes.

If you are diligent in preventive care and wax your vehicle twice a year, the teflon coating is not necessary. If you ignore/abuse your vehicles, the added benefit of the teflon coating will not be realized.

In summary, skip the coating, and spend that cost on a nice dinner out in your new vehicle.
  • crail29crail29 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Mazda5 (Touring, AT) yesterday. While I got a pretty good price on the vehicle, I foolishly purchased an extended warranty (through Mazda, not a 3rd party) without realizing that the cost of this is also completely negotiable. I paid about $1,200 to extend the factory warranty to 10yrs/100,000 miles, with a $100 deductible.

Does anyone have a sense of how badly I got taken?
  • boytoysboytoys Member Posts: 8
    I recently acquired my GT Auto, Air with tax/PDE all inclusive for CAD$29K.
    At this point, it's pretty much water under the bridge.

Unless you can some how "return" the extend warranty, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the car.

Welcome fellow Mazda5 owner! :shades:
  • crail29crail29 Member Posts: 3
    In fact I can "return" the warranty for a refund for up to 30 days. I am interested in the protection the warranty offers - what I'd really like to know is what others have paid for the same coverage ("Total Care" package, 120mths/100,000 miles, with a $100 deductible)
    Here check out this discussion on the Mazda Extended Warranty.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123640343&highlight=warranty
  • mr2spydermr2spyder Member Posts: 7
    Extended warranty is such a personal perference. And its worthiness depends on the vehicles too. I had extended warranty on my two recent vehicles: MR2spyder and RX8. These two vehicles are known for maintanence issues, so I think the $1k or so extended warrnty cost gave me and my wife peace of mind.

When I got a corolla and Rav 4 years ago, I did not get the extended warranty because these cars were reliable enough to me at that point.

From my experience and my understanding, the warranty is returnable and cancelable at any time. Money for the future period will be returned to the policy holder.
  • zoom500zoom500 Member Posts: 11
    Bought my sport5 at Lee Partyka in Hamden, CT it was a great buying experience. :D Got my 5 with
    manual transmission
    popular package
    locking wheel bolts
    cargo net
    roof rack
    all weather floor mats
    Total before tax and tags of 17419.00.
    Had a bad experience with a dealership in Derby, CT. :(
    The car gets very hot, I am looking to purchase tinting for the windows, anyone in CT know of a good place to have this done?
    zoom500
  • katydeskatydes Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted 17,195 for TT&L for a Sport A/T. Edmonds has the '07 priced at about the same as the '06. Should I go ahead with the '06, or wait a bit and go for the '07? I'm selling my (nothing but trouble) '06 Civic Coupe so I'll be losing money anyway and would like to minimize that as much as possible. I'd appreciate any advice...
    The only major difference between the 06 and 07 is the warranty period.

06 are on a 4 yr/50k mile bumper to bumper. The 07's are switching to a 3 yr/36k mile bumper to bumper.

I'd go with the 06...

But that is just me.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Tint King in Bridgeport is who the Hartford Mazda dealer recommended to me for our Touring 5 sp. (since they do not do it). I called them and was quoted about $140 (I can't remember now the exact quote), but that would be for all windows except the front driver, passenger and windshield. They have a website as they are national, and you can choose several different tints and % of light penetration. I was told that the price is the same for all. I have not had it done yet as Bridgeport is a long way to go for tinting and summer is almost over.
  • burtlancasterburtlancaster Member Posts: 7
    I bought a White M5 with the standard 5-speed for 17,200 (plus TT&L) here in San Antonio, TX at North Park Mazda. I am satisfied with the sale and love the car.
    It had tinted windows and pin-striping, the windows I would have had done anyway, but the pinstriping wasn't in my plan. It was the only white 5-speed I could find, so ended up paying more than I wanted to, but I don't think I got a bad deal. I love the white pearlescent paint, don't know if it was worth $200 extra, but it and the window tinting help keep the car cool when it sits all day in the sun.
  • yaoyo1999yaoyo1999 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a grey Mazda5 from Alhambra Mazda on 08/15/2006 in So California. $20800 OTD for:

Sport Model
    Popular Pckg
    Leather Chair (custom made, very nice)
    Auto Transmission

The sale price was $19000, w/tax and license it came out to $20800 b/c of leather chair. No tradein. I thought it was a good price considering the dealer only had 3 left.

I paid $20000 OTD for a new 2003 Camry LE V4 3 years ago, the Mazda is a lot nicer on inside though. Hope this car is as reliable as Toyota or Honda.

D
  • karliskarlis Member Posts: 2
    Mazda5 owners - I need your advice. My wife and I are looking for a good family vehicle. We have 2 kids (3 and newborn), need a decent amount of seating space, ease of back seat access, good cargo space and a competitive price.

We're torn between a used Honda CR-V and a new Mazda5.

Do you have any insight that could help sway us to the Mazda side?

Also, we're wondering how it does in Canadian winters.

Thank you all in advance!

Karlis
    We have a 3 yr old and a 6 month old and the Mazda5 has worked out great for us. It's low enough that the 3 yr can get in and out by himself and the sliding doors are great. With the 3rd row seat down, there is enough space for a sit n stand stroller with room left over. And we've carried 6 ppl in it when the in-laws came to visit.

Now we also own a 00 CRV and the Mazda5 is just a bit roomier than the CRV, it's way quieter and handles wayyyy better.

Gas mileage is actually pretty close. ~25 mpg for the 5 and the CRV.

The 5 isn't perfect (e.g., no rear ac vents, just a bit more hp would have been nice), but it works out great for us.
  • blynmazda5blynmazda5 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

I just purchased silver Mazda 5 sport on 8/23/06 in Brooklyn $18,220 for

Sport
    Popular Package
    Auto Transmission

The total OTD was $19,941. There was no trade in and I financed with my bank at 5.49%.

D
  • mazdalvrmazdalvr Member Posts: 16
    North Carolina 19,000 touring had to trade in my car still owed money so I am making up some of the difference 23,000 al toghether at around 8%apr. Thats the touring auto with no navigation.
  • tikaltikal Member Posts: 7
    Greetings,

I am doing some searching for the Mazda5 in the Houston, TX area. How does $100 over invoice sound for any of the Mazda5 models available?
  • bcoulambcoulam Member Posts: 2
    Depends on what the invoice is they're quoting you. $17,500? $19,000? $21,000? That would be a better indicator.

I used Edmunds to get an internet quote from 3 Houston Mazda dealers. The internet guy at Best Mazda was quick to respond, and had the best quote. The location also turns out to be the best for me since it is on the way to work (easy to drop off for oil changed, etc).

In January 2006, I got my Strato Blue Touring w/AT, cargo net and all weather mats for $19,100. That included a special that month of free oil changes for 2 years and an internet special of free tinting. Overall I had a very positive experience with Best Mazda, the salesperson in particular.

:shades:

bc
    Thanks bcoulam for sharing your experience in this board. Interesting enough we also came out with the best offer from Best Mazda (with free tint). This past weekend we signed the papers for a Platinum Silver Metallic Touring w/AT for $19,200 ($100 over invoice like Edmunds says). The internet salesperson seemed honest to us and he is supposed to deliver the car to us today. Originally on the way to the dealership the car we selected got sold so they were able to get one from another nearby dealership. OTD price was $20,653 (easy to say, right).

We contacted other three dealers in the Houston area but they could not match the price.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the information in this forum. We finally bought our Mazda5. It is a Strato Blue Sport, with automatic transmission, popular equipment package, cargo net & wheel locks at Mazda of Thousand Oaks, California. The price was $17,265 + TTL. Doc fees were $45, lic $174, tax $1254.98 for OTD of $18,747.73. From my figures this was $2,200 below MSRP, $916 below invoice. I think this was a pretty good deal. They have a black sport MT lossleader for $15995 +TTL if anyone is interested. The only downside was the relatively high milage of 172 miles.

No problems with the deal - had to talk to the general manager to get the final price. I think that 2006s are getting really cheap since I saw a 2007 on the lot.

I can also get accessories at dealer cost - was thinking about getting the cargo cover. Is the car cover worth the extra cost since I can get one on ebay for about $70?

Will be tinting the windows next - any suggestions for tint brand?

Regards,

David
    That's a pretty good deal David in Calif.! Yesterday we went and got our new Mazda 5. Because they could not deliver it I was able to get a few accessories added with the same price of $19,200: cargo net, cargo cover and wind deflector (this last one once we fill the survey). This is for a platinum silver touring with AT.

So based on my experience I would recommend dealing with the Internet department of Best Mazda in Houston, TX.

In terms of the tint I heard that the 3M brand is good (although maybe not the greatest).
  • ma3xma3x Member Posts: 7
    Mazda5 sport, auto, popular pk., wheel locks, cargo net, 100k miles powertrain warranty ...paid $20200 OTD ... I would think was a decent deal... any toughts ?
  • szetoszeto Member Posts: 4
    Hi, we just purchased a silver Mazda 5 touring with auto for $20,850 out the door. This price included a $350 dealer installed alarm system.

As a brand new owner of a Mazda 5 (Touring model with auto trans.), I'd like to report my initial impressions of this "micro-van." As expected, it is a unique vehicle given its 2+2+2 seating in a compact van format. Sitting beside our our BMW 528i in our garage, I noticed that the Mazda 5 is shorter in length.

Its four cylinder engine and 4 speed auto transmission give me plenty of pick-up with 2 passengers. In fact, I have to watch my driving to avoid speeding tickets. I haven't yet tested it fully loaded, but for my kind of driving and the sporadic occupancy by 4 or more passengers, I expect its pick-up to be MORE THAN ADEQUATE. The car's 4 speed auto willingly down shifts for additional power whenever the accelerator pedal is pressed. The car's weight & size undoubtedly helps. To estimate for yourselves what expect, just compare the Mazda 5's horse power to weight ratio against those found in full sized vans and SUVs that have V6 engines. You can get such information very easily on the internet.

In general, I concur with everyone's opinons about the Mazda 5. Its 3rd row of seats is good only for short trips, short people, and/or young kids. Mazda 5's layout is incredibly flexible and roomy for its size. The non-powered dual sliding doors is van-like and very light to operate. The car seems to be well put together although some of its interior parts feels a bit "cheap." But what do you expect for under $20K MSRP? In comparison, the highly rated Toyota RAV4 SUV (by consumer reports) cost some $4000 more, get slightly worse mileage, and its 3rd row seats are no roomier.

If this car's reliability holds up (introduced about 16 months ago), Mazda may have a "winner." We certainly can't lose given the ever higher cost of gasoline.
  • wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    You do realize the M5 comes from the factory with an alarm system!!
    I don't think our M5 comes with a factory alarm - just remote key & engine disable.

David
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Craig: You should read Edmunds.com fair price quote and check other sources online like Kelly Blue Book for what they think is fair --- and then make the dealer an OUT THE DOOR offer which INCLUDES the TTL. Haggling over just the new car price and your trade-in value doesn't get you the lowest price.

Know what the invoice price is and the dealer costs of the options on the car and to be installed by them later. Also be careful about the doc fees, as high as $450, and other things they sneak in. Never buy paint protector scams. If they won't knock that off go elsewhere. All buyers do have to pay the advertising fee since Mazda doesn't re-imbuse dealers.

But don't make a rediculous offer no one would accept.

When you get the survey, mentioned on this forum, read it carefully and answer honestly, it is IMPORTANT for the dealer to get good reports. Bad surveys lower the number of cars he can order later.

Ignore ignorant salesmen who send bad emails. The salesman turnovers are high and he probably won't be there when you go in for service. It isn't the dealer attacking you it's a disgruntled salesman who should be working in Sears bedding department.
  • mkeller1mkeller1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and am looking into purchasing an Mazda5. Did you purchase a Mazda after your experience in Oregon or did you go a different route?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, time for our weekly Mazda Club Chat. All the Mazda news, and anything else automotive is fair game. Stop in to meet and greet your fellow forums enthusiasts!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • sandie4jcsandie4jc Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased my 5 on 3 days ago. The deal included a $1000 rebate. Today I received a call from the "lady who handles rebates" and said the sales man and sales manager (I think that's what he was) gave me the rebate in error. It was supposed to have been for repeat customers who had the incentive mailed to them (I wasn't and I didn't). So now they are trying to get me to either pay them another grand or have it worked into the financing. I don't want either, naturally. I paid approx. $21000 OTD for a Touring with AT , Sirius (added for $400+)and metallic pearl paint ($200). They supposedly are only making $200 on it. Anybody have any suggestions (quick) as to how I can get them to stick to the original contract? I even told them I'd bring them back the car (which I don't really want to do, but would, I guess).

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    "I even told them I'd bring them back the car (which I don't really want to do, but would, I guess)."

Sticking to that plan is your best bet... Be ready to give up a couple of hundred, if it takes that... but, don't offer..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't understand how the dealer can make you pay more for a car that is already sold. That's sort of cheesy. They signed the contract and so did you. If you decided you paid too much, they wouldn't give you any $ back. I don't think you need to do anything.

Dealers will sell you cars for under their cost if they need the sale to make their monthly bonus.

If they take the car back, my understanding is that they can only re-sell the car as used - so they'll lose $ anyway.

What was the price of the car before TTL? You can check the invoice price & holdback on the Edmund's price to see if they were really losing $. (OTD price doesn't mean anything on this forum because the taxes & licence differ by state/city) Ok, I checked for you ... Invoice for your car including AT, Sirius, Pearl paint & destination is $19,625.

Tell us what happens.

My 2 cents,

David
    Thanks for your replies, kyfdx and David. I guess the dealership decided to just "eat" it. It's been 2 days and I haven't heard a word from them regarding the rebate mix-up. My down payment check went through and my credit union loan is on the books for the amount I signed the contract for.

So I think I got a pretty good deal - invoice is $19625 (Touring, AT, Sirius and Pearl Paint). I got mine for $18900 after the $1000 rebate I wasn't supposed to get (ha,ha). That's before TTL, of course ($21000 after). What do you think??????

I'm really enjoying the car/minivan/whatever it is. My daughter will be having another baby (making it 2 under age 2, plus a 10-year-old) and I just couldn't see me getting two carseats in and out of my Dakota QuadCab when I have the privilege of babysitting them. This definitely is a dream vehicle in that respect. Lovin' it!
    Hi Sandie,

Looks like you drove a pretty good deal, $725 under invoice. They probably have about $400 in hold-back so I don't think they lost much and they probably will find some way to get the rebate. I think once they sign the contract, they can't change it, but it probably depends what state you are in. Since the 07's are coming out, the dealer will give you pretty good deals on 06's (which have a longer bumper-to-bumper warrantee anyway.

David
    Cool! Thanks again!
  • sf5sf5 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one of the remaining 2006 Touring, automatic transmission Mazda 5s (silver) for $18509 (supposedly $800 under invoice +$200 advertising) + TTL (taxes $1583, license $184, $8.75 for California Tire Fees (whatever those are) and $45 in document prep fee). Royal Motor Sales here in San Francisco were good to work with, and with less high pressure than my last car buying experience a few years back. I was tempted by the 2007, but it would have been $1000 more to get it at invoice out here, and that would have a year less on the warranty.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    We've narrowed our choices down from CRV and Mazda 5 to the 5.

Questions:
    1 - has anybody seen the new color - dark plum? It seems it is the only color that has not been made yet. We wanted to get a look at it but we aren't going to wait very long.
    2 - does anybody else think Mazda made a poor choice of leather color on the GT? We have decided on a Touring instead and we'll add aftermarket leather
    3 - isn't it annoying that Mazda does very little advertising on this vehicle? Are they capacity constrained for the US and don't need more sales?
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    I have to chime in regarding your third point. I also find it frustrating that the 5 is not pushed more here in Canada. We received a glossy Mazda pull-out with our newspaper last week and the 5 received a half page of half-hearted copy. I am so curious to know the reasoning behind this from Mazda's standpoint. Anyone??
    Hi,

Re: question #3

Well in my selfish opinion, I think its better that there's not as much advertising - otherwise, there'd be more demand and we'd have to pay more for our M5s. We also have unique cars, easier to find our car in the parking lot.

On the downside, since not as many are sold, we don't have as much aftermarket support.

David
  • unagidonunagidon Member Posts: 20
    I am a Canadian moving to US, specifically Lawrence Kansas. I will be buying a Mazda 5 Grand Touring (i.e. Auto with Leather) with Navigation, DVD, and remote starter. MSRP is 25,445. What is a reasonable price for that region? The TMV price in edmunds is based off a much lower MSRP, and hence, I don't know if it's accurate. Any help will be much appreciated!
    Hi,

I just ran the TMV price in edmunds - the MSRP is $25,410, Invoice is $23,450 and TMV is $24,911 for zip code 91362.

I believe that buying agents such as Costco can get you your car at invoice +$500 or so - see other threads. Depends on how much in demand the Grand Touring is.

What MSRP is Edmunds giving you? Did you select all your options?

Regards,

David