Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Anybody have an idea when the '07s will hit the US? How about the new Grand Touring model?
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    My dealer here in Grand Rapids, MI checked his incoming inventory the other day when I was there and the first 07 arrives in early October.

Dave
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    After nine months of ownership a few observations about our silver tourer. Overall we very much like the car. It is the most practical occasional six-seater out there. The 5 looks good, has a comfortable interior, smart instrument layout and handles well. It is superb value for the money. The kids (10 and 6) love riding in it. Excellent cargo volume when traveling with 4 people. Finding the mileage worse around town than promised, but on the flip side, better on the highway than listed. Using cruise control the AT regularly gets 29-30 mpg.
    Now some peeves. I don't miss true intermittent wipers like some, or the passenger armrest, but the lack of a decent roof rack does make my blood boil. I nearly broke down and got the factory racks but it seems once they are on, they are essentially on for good? And they are at a fixed distance apart, limiting what they can be paired up to. When I see the rails on the European model I'm just gobsmacked. What were they thinking in omitting them from the North American offering? Will we ever find out? On a related subject, I commend those who put a tow hitch on their 5 for either a bike rack or a light trailer, but I'm not going there. I'm certain my dealer would love to void the warranty from the reaction to my two discussions of the towing issue. And again, in Europe, the dealer will fit the hitch with Mazda's blessing. And that is why we have not parted with our elderly Subaru wagon. Its rack takes a ladder or a Christmas tree whenever duty calls. It will tow our small sailboat (under 800 lbs including trailer), and it will operate in snow with all season tires.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    The reason why we went for Mazda5 instead of the Odyssey are as follows:
    1. Inorder for the Odyssey to meet our wishes, we had to go for the ex-l model (to get the sunroof) and we simply can't afford it.

2. two teenagers in the family who will soon be driving had proclaimed that they will not drive a minivan to school. lolz. It is not cool. They don't mind an SUV though.

3. So we decided to get a car (in terms of size and fuel consumption) which would seat 6 persons.

Everyone is happy.

One wheel is already nicked when my daughter hit the curb.
    Ouch! oh well I guess it will come sooner or later. 'Battle scars' on the car as long as they are documented I guess is ok.
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    One wheel is already nicked when my daughter hit the curb.

Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that the rim protrudes from the tire, which makes it susceptible to being damaged.
  • dzzdzz Member Posts: 1
    They're here!!! Shopped 5's this past weekend in orlando fla. Star Mazda had two '07's on their back lot. Not out front for sale. Saw the 3 year warranty and picked up an '06 sport :) at another dealer. The brown leather seats did look pretty good on the silver touring, just out of our price bracket.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Thanks for the update, I'll have to call the dealer!
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    Having owned my Mazda5 sport for about a year now, I'm about ready to trade it in for something else. I know I will get beat up on depreciation, but Im just not that happy with it.

Here is my list of gripes and also the things I like about it.
    GRIPES
    1) Underpowered - This vehicle is simply too heavy for the motor they've equipped it with. They need to offer it with a low-pressure turbo or something to overcome the curb weight, which leads me to my next gripe..

2) Fuel economy - I've never seen the estimated city mileage they claimed on the sticker. This thing gets about the same city mileage as my 2005 Nissan Frontier did, and it had a V-6! The actual city mileage is comparable to the Dodge Magnum, which has a 345hp V-8, and is certainly not lacking in power. Highway mileage was as advertised, somewhere in the 29-30mpg range, but V8 powered vehicles with cylinder deactivation can also achieve these types of numbers, so it seems less impressive as a result.

3) No iPod input - 'Nuff said about this already, I think everyone with a digital music player chafes at this one. I understand it will be remedied in the 2007 model, but that doesnt do me much good.

4) 4-speed automatic, 5 speed manual - Both trannys should be bumped up a gear. 5 speed auto, 6 speed manual.

5) A/C inadequate - It shuts off under hard acceleration, which isn't much good in Florida, where I live. The vents are also very small and don't keep people in the second row cool, much less the third.

6) No passenger armrest - I really don't understand this one. Its a small gripe, but I just don't get it. Why do the backseats have them but not the passenger? Its just odd.

7) Tire/Rim combo - The rims on the M5 look cool, but the way the tires fit them causes them to be easily scraped, as the rubber actually fits inset from the rim itself. You will always hit rim before tire if you come close to a curb.

8) Nanny Seatbelt alert - Dealer said they could deactivate the endless beeping that occurs if you dont put your 'belt on. Of course, the service department wouldnt do it. I don't mind a seatbelt nag, but the one in the 5 is excessive.

THINGS I LIKE

1) Appearance - Inside and out, the M5 is a good looking vehicle. Paint quality is good, panel gaps are good. Inside, the plastics used make it feel like a more expensive vehicle, and I like that (though the black carpet is hard to keep clean, and the nose could be a little more adventurous, like the 3's)

2) Utility - The interior is spacious, theres lots of headroom and with the seats folded flat you can carry a lot of stuff. With the seats up I've had no problem carrying 6 adults (on short jaunts..2 adults would not want to be in that third row for long).

3) Handling - The turning circle is nice and tight and the M5 never feels topheavy (to me), and can be driven through tight turns and corners without really slowing down, which is nice.

4) Sliding doors - work well and make ingress and egress easy, though mine have developed a bit of a rattle over time.

Overall, I know a lot of my gripes should have been dealt with before I bought it. However, my dealer lied to me and told me that an iPod could be used with the head unit, and also told me that it was a 5-speed auto (but that we never went fast enough on the test drive to get into 5th). Sure, I was dumb to believe them and have no one but myself to blame for that.

However, anyone considering this vehicle should be aware that if you're looking to save money on gas, think again. This vehicle is not at all efficient on gas in city driving. Most of my driving is city and I'm lucky if I get 250 miles out of a single tank of gas.

Additionally, if you live in a hot climate, your first trip is going to have to be to the window tinting shop, because there is no factory tint provided on any of the windows and it desperately needs it. The M5 is like a greenhouse (as are most minivans). Paired with the anemic air conditioning, you will end up sweating a lot.

At any rate, if I wanted to go slow and get crummy gas mileage, I would have just kept my pickup truck. I'm probably going to trade it in for a Magnum. At least then I'll have a reason to get bad gas mileage.
  • wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    Actually ALL rims protrude from the tires, It's just that you are not used to low profile tires. Their sidewalls have little bulge compared to 60 or 70 series tires. It's pretty normal for low profile tires
    That's really too bad, your list of gripes are really minor. The rim thing is pretty normal, happens on every car that has low profile tires.

The Passenger armrest thing (lack there of) makes tones of sense. If it was there, you would not have access to the center console storage compartment. But it could have been designed differently.

Power, there is tones of, You just need to buy the Manual. Makes for a great driver. I drive very "sporty" and regularly hit the spec's for mileage. If I took it easy, I would beat the specs easily. I regularly get 450km out of 3/4 tank. A diesel option would however be great

As for the auto tranny having a 4 spd not 5, That's more your fault, You should be able to take your salesperson at face value. but you should always verify their claims, most salesperson's barely know anything about what they are selling (cars or not!)

The AC could be better, but hey what did you expect. Your already getting alot of car for $25k!!!

I don't get the seatbelt issue, just use the seatbelt and the alarm won't come on!!

There is an Ipod input (though you have to install it yourself, takes about 15 minutes)

Just my 0.02 worth
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The reports in the newspapers and online last month said the "black box" in most new cars records what happens a few minutes before and right after an accident. The data is available only to the manufacturer and its dealers. It is not turned over to authorities unless by court order. The purpose is to give manufacturers a better understanding of what happens in accidents so they can design better safety systems.

fowler3
  • ma3xma3x Member Posts: 7
    You are right fowler3. I did some research online about the black box, and the recording only happens for a few minutes prior and after the accident...
  • kdawg69kdawg69 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone else think the new policy of fragmenting news groups is a bad one? It used to be I could track one group for a given car and see test drive experiences, new owner experiences, prices, problems, and of course personal attacks and off-topic whining. ;) I could use the all-powerful Search option if I want to find something specific. Now I have to track many groups. More hassle in my book.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The place to discuss the changes would be in the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion.

You still only have to track one group, for example, the Mazda 5 owners group here. The difference being that once you're in the group, discussions on brakes, audio, and other topics will be separated out rather than having everything in one big pile. (along with the off topic whining ;) )
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    pf_flyer HOST, maybe that's what is missing, on topic whinning! ;)
  • partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    I saw a show last week in which the OPP use a laptop computer to access the black box information to extract the speed, whether the brakes were applied (how much brake???) and wheter the seat belt was being used.

This information is used to help them reconstruct the events that led up to a crash/accident.
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know if the 2007s are in the showrooms yet?
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Probably depends on your area, but a month ago, I saw 2007's on the lot when we bought our 2006. I'm in Southern California area.

David
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I was in Dallas last week and stopped by a Mazda dealer as I was curious about any changes from 2006 to 2007. They had a black 2007 Grand Touring with Brown Espresso leather seats in the back of the parking lot, ready to be moved as soon as their 2006 are gone I guess :)

The only major differences I could find from the Grand Touring compared to a 2006 Touring were:

- Blackened effect headlights and taillights (I personally like the light gray chrome effect better)

- Xenon headlights (with a little tilt adjusting control on the left side of the dashboard. I good say that this is finally a good use for those 4 meaningless "sockets"). I think the other use for those around are the 4WD control and electric doors (Japan)

- Leather seats. Front seats are heated. The door panels also have the espresso brown effect, yet it does not seem to be leather!

people have mentioned earlier that the 2007 now have 3yr warranty, instead of 4.
    The other switches control Tranction control and Power folding mirrors among other very kewl options no available to us in North America.

They also have a nice light Tan/beige interior option that IMHO looks better than the"carbon" interior that we get!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I didn't know there was such an option as power folding mirrors. Very useful for pulling into single car garages!
    Posts with questions on Mazda5 tires 7 wheels have been moved to the new Mazda5: Tires & Wheels discussion.
    Since you're talking about a comparison of the two vehicles, I've created the Mazda5 vs Kia Ronda discussion and moved the posts there.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    7 wheels? Must be 6 and a spare... ;)
    It's Tuesday so it's time for our weekly Mazda gathering! Avoid the holiday crush at the mall and have a relaxing chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • hazel1hazel1 Member Posts: 3
    In a not very well lit, unheated garage, at a minus temperature I don't want to think about - I was totally unable to find the cable and plug for the block heater. Could some other kind owner in a northern latitude give me a hint where to look? I couldn't find any reference in the owner's manual. Many thanks!
    Did you order the option??? The block heater is installed as a dealer option on the 5. Honestly I don't think they're worth the effort! I've never plugged in the block heater in 15 years of car ownership, and never missed it!

Oh and I'm in Toronto where it does get vold in winter.
    I don't live so far north and I've never used an engine block heater, but what happens to the engine when it sits outside all day when you're at work? It seems like 8 hours outside is worse that 8 hours at night in an unheated garage, so why would you need an engine block heater when you can't use it outside of your house? Or does it get THAT much colder at night?? Just curious.
    Well I park indoors at work, but outside parking lots often have plug-ins too. There's usually only a few days each winter where you would need to plug in during the day, but yes, it does often get much colder overnight.
    Here it does get to -40 sometimes, so definitely needed! I called the dealer the next day to confirm it had been installed. The service dept said "Yes, but we can't tell you where to find it, you'll have to come in and we'll take a look". So I called the sales dept, and the receptionist explained how to find it!
    Parking lots with plug ins??? Never sen that in my life, How far NORTH are you??
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    You need to visit other places in Canada. They are all over northern Ontario. Common sight in Edmonton.
  • reztiereztie Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me some advice on which remote car starter to install in my mazda 5? The dealer talked me out of it when I bought the car last year, and now mazda says it will only give a 1 year warranty on the part. I called another place that puts in non-mazda (audiovox) car starters. They offer a lifetime warranty and the price is better (between $50 -$100 less). However, they were not sure how complicated it will be to get around the mazda wiring/alarm system. They said my original keyless remote may not work while the car starter is running. I am also worried about any possible damage to my car which will affect my car warranty in any way. (I already have trouble with my keyless entry remote and door locks not always working and I don't want Mazda to say it has to do with an aftermarket car starter).
    If you have a Mazda car starter, how good is the range? Does it have an off button?
    Thanks.
  • idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    Many web sites (Yahoo cars etc.) say
    the automatic version comes with a four
    speed transmission and over-drive.

Am I missing something?

To me, overdrive means some sort of
    torque converter so as to eliminate
    slipping at cruising speed, but
    my Mazda5 with auto just keeping on increase
    the RPMs as the speed goes higher.

With cars with overdrives, once you hit
    cruising speed and the overdrive kicks in
    you notice it with a sudden drop in RPM.
  • crutnackercrutnacker Member Posts: 41
    Anyone tell me about the reliability of the 5? My wife really likes it as a replacement for her 03 CR-V. It seems like an excellent value. Is the leather worth it? Is there anyway to hook up an MP3 player to the stereo?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think you are confusing some terms.

Overdrive simply means that the trans output is turning faster than the engine. In the Mazda5's case, the 4th gear is an overdrive gear.

It sounds like what you may be referring to is a lock-up torque converter which nearly every car sold today has. Once the vehicle reaches a certain speed, 40-50 mph, the torque converter locks to improve efficiency.
  • idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    I guess I'm showing how cheap I am.
    When I bought my last car (also new)
    in 1998, the torque converters were refered
    to as "over-drive". For example, some of the older
    rental cars I have driven have an "over-drive" switch
    where the torque converter is disabled/enable.

When I accelerated my Mazda5 Auto it quickly gets to 4th
    gear (as displayed), then revs up beyond 3000 but
    then drops down (presumably when the torque converter
    kicks in).
    Again, your nomenclature isn't correct. The O/D off switch was just a way of preventing the transmission from shifting to its final (overdrive) gear, having nothing to do with the torque converter.

The torque converter has always been a means to allow variable slippage of the transmission's input shaft for getting underway, between shifts and when limited slippage will aid engine power to move the vehicle.

Yes, your TQ will slip it's way into 4th gear and then lock when the power demand is palatable for the engine. It has no relation to overdrive and never has.
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    In case you haven't already seen this video of the Premacy 23S (Mazda5):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbjmDGCtOI
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    That was SO cool! I wish I could understand Japanese, though, to know what they were saying. And, it REALLY seemed as though those Hondas were REALLY struggling to catch up, but never did. Ha! :P

Thanks for sharing!

(P.S. They really should bring that MPV over here to the states - looks NICE!)
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly gathering in the chat room!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • zbxzbx Member Posts: 30
    Funny that the Mazda5 GT owner's manual doesn't state that it has a timing chain, versus timing belt. Do others agree (well, that's what I found out on the web) that it has a timing chain, and that a chain is better than a belt (even though noisier) since it lasts longer?

Thanks
    Yes, it has a chain and that will outlast (almost always) a belt.

As far as noise goes, it's not that big of a deal compared to everything else that moves under the hood. a belt drive system is cheaper to make but car manufacturers likely sold the noise thing to public to get their buy-in.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    In my Toyota Matrix, turning on the O/D switch does nothing more than allow the transmission to shift into 5th gear; the Overdrive gear..! Turn the O/D OFF and the RPM's immediately jump up a few hundred revs and you get some limited engine braking. It is almost exactly what happens on my other car with an Auto/Stick shift when I manually drop from 5th to 4th.
    :D
    Wow... like spring today! Hopefully real life won't intrude and we'll see you at the chat!

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    My wife and I saw a 5 the other day in a parking lot for the first time. We were taken in by the beauty of this vehicle, and it's smaller size is appealing to us now that our kids are older and will be moving on soon. Because of this, we won't have a need for a vehicle as large as our current '03 MPV.

My main concern with the 5 is its small powerplant and whether or not its underpowered. Every editorial I've read says it is underpowered, while many people who own them say the manually equipped version is actually fairly peppy, while the auto is just okay. We would have to have an auto as my wife would be the primary driver and she absolutely refuses to drive a manual. We haven't test driven one yet, but I doubt I'd be impressed with such a small engine. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Mazda decided to go with such a small powerplant in a vehicle that weighs roughly as much as the MPV. A better choice would've been to go with the tried and true 3.0 V-6. Add VVTI and you've basically got a rocketship minivan that would get incredibly good fuel economy.

The other thing we must consider is the fact the our MPV will be paid off in 2 years and will still have relatively low miles (about 50K by then). Do we keep our PeeVee and have NO car payments, or start all over again with a new set of payments and a vehicle we possibly may not be happy with? Now if Mazda were to get smart and upgrade the engine to the 3.0 VVTI then it might be worth taking the plunge....
    Strictly from a $$$$ perspective, keep the MPV.

However, if the new set of payments doesn't hurt your budget and you're willing to have the less space in the Mazda5 to have the better handling and looks, go for the Mazda5.

What sort of MPG is the MPV getting now?
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Well, as far as what you do with your money, I am no one to put my two cents in. But, as far as answering your question regarding the supposed underpower of the 5, then I'm your man.

With the exception of the crunching noise I, and others, get from the suspension on below freezing temperatures when first using the car, I am completely happy and satisfied with my 5. I LOVE my car. I am also happy with the power it has, as well, and can't understand why so many reviewers say it's underpowered.

I mean, what the heck do they want this family vehicle to do? I have an '06, Touring automatic and I find it very peppy around town, and just fine on the highway. For the first time, the other day, I managed to peel out of a corner when merging onto a highway - it was so much fun and I was pleasantly surprised with my 5 (tires squealed and chirped in acceleration and the it went FAST and I immediately thought of all those naysayers who say it's underpowered and laughed them off :shades: ).

The ONLY time I have had an issue with my 5's power was when I was in a very HILLY North Carolina Mountain neighborhood with 5 other adults packed in, 4 of which were overweight (each of the 4 weighing well over 200 lbs.). Yes, the 5 struggled up those steep hills and I wondered if it was going to make it. But, it was fun! heehee That's the ONLY time it felt underpowered to me.

When I drive on the highways on long trips, I routinely drive anywhere between 80 to 85 MPH, if I'm not caring about fuel economy, and, at times, go 90 to 95, and once reached passed 100mph. It was completely effortless in my 5 and the car did not feel strained - and this was with two adults, two children and luggage packed in.

In conclusion, I think the 5's power is more than adequate and think that American car journalist have become jaded with all of the 240+hp machines that are made nowadays. There is no need for such power in most of those vehicles. Fun, yes, but not needed. The 5 has ample power and it's perfectly suited for the vehicle - and I like to drive fast.

It all depends, though, on your opinion. So, you should definitely take a test drive and find out for yourself. I like the MPV, but I like the 5 much better. Edmunds themselves said it was a better overall package than the MPV. Plus, though the MPV does look nice, I think the 5 is better looking. To this day, after having the car for 1 year and 8 months, I still stare at it and am impressed with its looks - especially when I have it washed. :blush:

(FYI, highest mileage I ever got on my 5 was on a trip to DC from NY and I made 250 miles to HALF a tank, which would mean a full tank would have been around 500 miles. It fills up anywhere between 13 and 14 gallons, so that would make the highway MPG rating at least: 35.71. I doubt the MPV gets that.)