Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    At least they decided to fix the problem instead of let some one sue for burning up a car.
  • hifivehifive Member Posts: 72
    Just to let you know, I am on another board here, Mazda 5 problems and solutions. Anyway, I managed to get my five back by swearing to Mazda Corporate that I will not drive it second gear at high rates of speed. They cannot legally keep your car. Call the VP who signed the recall letter. You will need to call Mazda North American Operations in Irvine, CA. You can look it up on Yahoo Local. You will get the switchboard. Ask for Mr. VP (I suggest you use his real name, it escapes me). They will transfer you to his assistant. Tell them you want your car back, it's legally yours. I received a phone call within two hours from a Customer Service Supervisor. She called the dealership and they gave me my car back today. They told me they will contact me by mail when the parts are ready to be installed.

HiFive :):):):):)
  • techtechtechtech Member Posts: 11
    by the way i just call my dealer today about mazda recall...she told me that mazda going to put the heatsink to cool the temp down. and should be able to fix this week. sound like too easy to fix though.
    what do you guys think.? ..u think is best solution for the car??i am think to wait 2007 coming up......ha ha ha..
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I think Mazda's handling the situation well, and I'm betting that their fix will be thorough. I've had zero complaints about my Mazda5...everything about it seemed perfect for the 2 months that I drove it around. So, once the additional heat-shielding "fix" is in place, I think that I'll have a great reliable car for a long time :)

Steve
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    everything was fine for mine too, except I had it for only 2 weeks!...now it's going to take 2 months before I get it nack. What about leaving it parked for that long....won't it leave flat spots on the tires?????
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    The recall is very commendable for Mazda. But, I guess what I don't understand - if it is a valid potential cause for the problem - is that who in their right mind would drive their brand new Mazda5 at highway speeds in 2nd gear anyway? It's a very good way to shorten the life of the engine, transmission, or both. I would certainly never drive any car that I've paid good money for at 60+MPH in 2nd gear. If you're driving your Mazda5 in that fashion, you bought the wrong car. You should have bought an RX8!

Although discussed before, the problem must simply be related to the exhaust temperature of the catalytic, and the design of the heat shields beneath the Mazda5. Obviously, at high revs, the exhaust temp increases rather significantly.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    vinnyfast wrote: " . . . won't it leave flat spots on the tires?"

No, not with radials. Back in the days of bias-ply tires, especially those with nylon cord design, you certainly would have a flat spot after letting a vehicle sit for a time. But, after a few miles of driving, even those would be OK.

You don't have to worry about the tires. I would be more concerned about any body dings that might occur.
  • hkeoghhkeogh Member Posts: 14
    After speaking with a representative from Mazda USA
    it looks like Mazda will not be making good on its 30 day
    turnaround for repairs. The last word from the representative
    indicated that the parts would not be available until the
    fifth week of October.

As a result Mazda USA will be subject to the state level
    lemon laws, some of which require Mazda to offer an
    automobile of equivalent value. Since the process
    normally requires sending certain forms to Mazda at the
    below address. These forms are normally time sensitive.

Mazda North American Operations
    Consumer Compliance
    7755 Irvine Center Dr
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922

State Lemon Laws:
    http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

If your state does not have a lemon law, your alternative
    is to contact the FTC for compliance under the Federal
    Consumer Rights Statute – the Magnuson and Moss
    Warranty Act at

Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Response Center
    Washington, D.C. 20580
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Thank you for query regarding the upcoming recall on the Mazda5.

Although Mazda Canada Inc. has no obligation to offer alternate transportation when a recall prevents owners from driving their Mazda vehicles, Mazda Canada Inc. has offered a replacement vehicle up to $50 per day in an effort to minimize any inconveniences for Mazda owners.

We appreciate your patience and hope all our Mazda5 drivers are back in their vehicles soon.

Customer Relations

Mazda Canada Inc.
  • petero1petero1 Member Posts: 7
    I got a call today saying that Mazda has found a fix - a heat shield and software that will reconfigure the cheesy manumatic so that it shifts at a certain point? Anyone know any more details? - the transmission fix sounds like it will be complicated...
  • tedw2tedw2 Member Posts: 3
    At least Mazda is fixing the problem and installing a heat shield, something Honda still refuses to do to stop the fires on the Honda CRV. Honda made a design change and relocated the oil filter directly over the exhaust system, and guess what, if oil leaks, the vehicle catches on fire. Honda has so far refused to add a shield which would prevent the CRV fires.

LINK: FIRE ARTICLE
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    Check out the Problems and Solutions thread for more info on the recall. I picked my MZ5 up today and will bring it back when they have the fix ready. As far as I'm concerned, if Mazda is being honest about this being a case of driver misuse and abuse of the automatic transmission, I will be fine even without the repairs.
    I have mine back too, and it's running great. I keep checking the tachometer and the hot/cold. They also said the ones that burned were within the first 100 miles, and I have 2,200 miles on mine. I am not sure if I would want to go on a road trip with it, but for short errands which all I use it for I think I'm fine.

HiFive
    I have also heard that it could be the end of October before the parts are shipped to the dealers. I decided to take my chances and not have my car sit on the lot for two months in the rain/hail/snow.

HiFive
    This is somewhat off-topic, but I just checked the Zoom-Zoom Live website, and it still advertises the Mazda5 as being one of the available cars to drive. Is this website (like the MazdaUSA website) just very slow to be updated, or are they actually allowing people to drive Mazda5s at these supervised events?
  • ffunffun Member Posts: 29
    Did anyone get their Roots bag yet?
    Yes, I got mine ... took about 4 weeks after I bought my 5, and went to the dealership with your name and your vehicle VIN# on the plastic around the bag.
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    how about the ebgine not being started for 2 months....corrision, condensation, interior fabric, weather??? I'd like to keep this car for awhile if I can, but so far it's been bad luck from the start!
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    My dealership is doing an exterior visual check and a short drive of each stored Mazda 5 once a week while it is in storage. Very commendable in my opinion. There are five at the dealership.
  • nola1nola1 Member Posts: 18
    I picked up my 5 today and drove from Houston to New Orleans. I have 5,000 miles on mine already. I made several trips between New Orleans and Houston during evacuations and checking out my home. Some of the trips were non-stop (5 hours on one tank of gas) with speeds somewhere over 75 mph ;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    How long do you think some of the cars sit on a dealer's lot before they sell it? Anyone know?
    Well, my car sat for less than a day. :)
  • donm3donm3 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I had just started looking for a new car. We had no sooner decided that the Mazda 5 looked promising than the fire problem came up and our local dealer removed all of the 5's from view.

We have some questions and wonder if any of you might be able to offer some comments.

1. The 5 is heavier than the 3 and can obviously carry more load. Does the 5 seem to have adequate power on upgrades with a full load? We live in hilly country.

2. Apparently Mazda is using the 4 speed automatic in the Mazda 5 while switching to a 5 speed automatic for the 2006 Mazda 3's. Does anyone know if Mazda is planning on going to a 5 speed in the Mazda 5 later on in the production?

3. Does your buying experience suggest anything that we should be considering when the Mazda 5 again becomes available for sale?

Thanks for your help.
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    1. The 5 is heavier than the 3 and can obviously carry more load. Does the 5 seem to have adequate power on upgrades with a full load? We live in hilly country.

I only drove mine for a week, and I live in Florida, which is very flat, and even under those circumstances, the auto seemed to 'hunt' a lot, even with just me driving. I would think if you're going to drive it in hilly areas fully loaded, I would get the manual trans.

2. Apparently Mazda is using the 4 speed automatic in the Mazda 5 while switching to a 5 speed automatic for the 2006 Mazda 3's. Does anyone know if Mazda is planning on going to a 5 speed in the Mazda 5 later on in the production?

No idea. I would think a 5-speed auto would be a big improvement though. I was a little surprised it had a 4 speed.

3. Does your buying experience suggest anything that we should be considering when the Mazda 5 again becomes available for sale?

Consider how often you're actually going to be carrying a full load. My impression during my first week of ownership is that the 5 is a great vehicle for a single person or couple that occasionally have to carry stuff, or people, or a small child (or two). I think if you're going to be driving multiple adults around a lot of the time, or larger children (tweens + teens), they're going to be unhappy in the backseat because theres no secondary A/C and the A/C the car does have is barely adequate for people riding in the front seats, let alone the back two rows. I would say if you're buying for that situation (larger kids or adults) you should probably be looking at the MPV. The gas mileage isnt really all that much better in the 5. I only observed like 18-19mpg the week I drove mine. The MPV I'm driving now is getting 17-18, and is much larger, has 3 zones of A/C (that cool the vehicle), and has adequate power to move adults around.

"Adequate power" is a very subjective thing. For me, the answer is yes. I'd suggest bring a bunch of people along with you for a test drive once the recall issue is fixed.

I haven't heard anything. Since the 5-speed manual only does 1 MPG better than the 4-speed auto, I wouldn't expect a big MPG increase if a 5-speed auto is added. It'd most likely help acceleration, and give you lower RPMs on the highway, so it'd be an improvement in those respects.

Yup, you should consider buying a Mazda5 ;) Also, consider your driving style: my observations of these forums lead me to believe that those who drive conservatively (i.e., those who manage to report mid-20 MPGs in the Mazda5) are happier with the driving experience in their Mazda5s than those who are reporting less than 20 MPG. I personally was averaging 25 MPG in my Auto trans Mazda5 before the recall, and was thrilled with the driving experience.
  • miffedmiffed Member Posts: 36
    We purchased a Mazda 5 on 9/10 5 days later it was recalled for the fire problem. The Mazda provided us a rental car it is a Mazda 6 an 04or 03 it smelled inside so badly my wife Fe-Breezed the inside it has stains on the seats and the carpeting looks like someone had an accident on it. It's basically gross but because of our schedules we have no free time, we said heck with it and she just drives it. I received my letter on the 17th saying it would take 30 days to fix it. The customer service number and the rep basically said I should be happy they gave me a rental car. Thank You Mazda I'm having a wonderful experience. The CS rep told me the parts will be in sometime between OCT 20-27 then the dealer will install them. So far I've made my car payment and paid my taxes and license. By the time I get it fixed I will probably have made 2 car payments. My car is sitting outside on the dealers lot. Exposed to the weather and potential vandalism not to mention someone bumping it with another car or scratching it when looking through the window. My dealer said if it gets damaged they are not responsible. I asked if I could come and get my car and drive it till the parts come in they said no. Until I explained to them I owned the car. They then told me I would have to sign a waiver so they would not be liable before I could take the car off the lot. I laughed and said stop me and make me sign. No I didn't go get it. Primarily the vehicle is driven by my wife and my children are passengers. She is scared the vehicle is unsafe. She would like them to refund our money so we can go buy something else. I can't blame her. In my opinion the customer service rep thinks Mazda has did a wonderful thing by giving us a rental car.. go figure. In return they gave us a vehicle that could start on fire...go figure! We wish we wouldn't have purchased this vehicle. In fact, most likely this will be the first and last Mazda for us. I really feel we've been zoomed zoomed.
    You should insist on a better vehicle. You dont have to go to the dealer you got your 5 from to get a loaner. Go to a different one. I got a 2005 MPV with 9 miles on it, and its been a decent replacement vehicle. I never would have bought it voluntarily, but it hasnt been bad.

At any rate, no matter what the phone support people might say, Mazda is trying to make this experience a good one for those affected. Have them tow your 5 to a different dealer if they wont garage it/keep it protected from the elements, etc. Make some noise, you'll get better treatment.
    I would suggest you go take a look at the "problems and solutions" board that is on here. I love my Five, I don't want another car. I did get mine back, and did not sign a waiver. I have a feeling I had something to do with them creating that waiver in the first place, because I demanded my car back, and had others get theirs back after speaking to a supervisor at Mazda.

If you are that unhappy you may have rights under the Lemon Law. I believe you can even start the paperwork with Mazda's help.

If you click my name above, you will be taken to my profile and you can email me. I will provide you with the supervisor's name and phone number that I spoke to. Perhaps they can do something for you. At least get you a clean rental car. It is my understanding that you are to be provided with a vehicle better than the one you had, like a fully loaded MPV...

Good luck!

HiFive
    I took mine to a different dealer. My dealer was clueless, their service department did not even know what a five was, they kept saying "you have a six?". Did not instill confidence in me as to their abilities to fix the car!

BTW, the problem according to Mazda is that some idiots were driving the car in second gear at high rates of speed. I promised not to drive it that way and I was given my car back with a smile. Also, the fires happened within the first 100 miles of ownership. Mine has 2,200 miles on it and no problems at all.

HiFive
  • miffedmiffed Member Posts: 36
    Thanks we live 30 miles away from the dealer. I work from 8-5 my wife works 5am to 5 pm We have just enough time to eat get the kids ready for the next day and sleep.I did call the dealer he has some used MPV's, I could pick up, but we do not have the time.(you would think they would offer to deliver it) So taking this rental back is not an option. You just can't believe how filthy it is. It's because the Dealer and Mazda do not care about me. They already have their money. I just received my 2nd letter from Mazda saying it has to change the computer in the transmission and put a shield around the muffler. I wonder how bad the car will rust when they weld on to the underbody. Maybe they'll just weld onto the galvanized muffler in which case if you live in the North the salt will eat it in no time. I really would love for them to buy it back. Most the people comments I've read say they haven't had a problem. I think maybe they should think about the fix on this. Are they going to rip your transmission apart? Will it be as good as the factory would do it? The mounting of the heatshield around the muffler. Will they bolt it on? Will it be welded on? Will they put a new muffler on with the heat shield already on it? Who knows. The mechanics at most dealers do a great job replacing parts but they do not build automobiles. They do not work on the factory line. Will the computer chip or computer affect the gas mileage? How much metal fatigue have these cars been subject too because of this problem? I remember when I was younger working on old cars we would grab a torch and fix anything with a little bailing wire and heat. Sometimes the undercoating would start on fire that was always fun LOL Do the people fixing our cars weld for a living? I believe we are at the mercy of a quick fix with this vehicle and it worries me.
  • mpower3mpower3 Member Posts: 5
    You are so right.

The fixes sound staightforward but how they are implemented/performed by skilled or nonskilled people is important. I don't want a bail wire hack job around my exhaust or tranny.

Are u kidding about the undercoating being flammable? I paid my dealer extra for the tinder box around my exhaust!

I am going to ask my dealer to practice on someone elses car first.

We definitely need our warranty extended. Are you listening MAZDA?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We definitely need our warranty extended. Are you listening MAZDA?

When a carmaker issues an ext warranty under a TSB or recall issue it usually only covers the item in question. example, Honda/Acura built alot of bad transmissions...so they issued a TSB and gave people ext coverages on the tranny..not the entire car. Since this problem is rather simple and easy...I don't expect mazda to offer an ext. warranty covering a heat shield and a warning sticker....also don't forget, this is a very new car so everyone still has alot of factory warranty remaining. Unlike the Acura tranny problem, where a large number had little or no warranty left.

I
  • donm3donm3 Member Posts: 4
    My thanks to all of you who responded to my questions.

At this point it seems that I just have to wait for my local dealer to get their Mazda 5s' updated.
  • dabatmandabatman Member Posts: 25
    My wife and I have 3 small children... we had an 2002 Odyssey, but my wife commutes 100 miles a day and the gas was killing us. When it hit $3/gal we decided to get a Mazda5.. it fit our needs perfectly (we needed 3 rows of seats to prevent the brother/sister 'he's touching me!' arguments)

I went to the dealer (Bour Mazda in Scranton) and he said I'd be better off selling the Odyssey on my own and that he'd do the trade/title transfer there and save me the state taxes.. so I did.. the next day I went to the lot and all 7 of the Mazda5's were gone.. they were recalled the previous day.. I checked this forum and people were saying they were getting Mazda MPV's as a loaner.....

Bottom line.... even though I still don't own the Mazda5.... Scotty Bour GAVE me a the keys to a brand new MPV.... I still don't even have a car payment..... plus I made a deal with him for $700 below invoice (Carbon Grey Touring with auto)... they are getting a lot of future loyalty from me... maybe the MX Crossport is next

So.. my point is.... if you bought the Mazda5 and the dealer isn't taking care of you... you're getting seriously ripped off....

The MPV is nice.... but it's not up to par with the Odyssey... and still only gets 17 MPG....

Good luck..
    plus I made a deal with him for $700 below invoice

Really $700 below invoice, not $700 below MSRP? :surprise:
    I had the Ford Family which brought it to invoice... he took $200 off of that plus the Gerbers.... (+ the $25 overstock.com coupon.... )...
    $700 under invoice.that is goods....so how much you actually pay for drive out...i can't even go under invoice....the best offer i got is right at the invoic+++ which is invoice+tax+tiltle=otd.
  • rideyourbikerideyourbike Member Posts: 17
    Paid $18,900 after the Gerber rebate and before T3 (taxes, title, tags) for a Touring auto at Maple Shade Mazda in New Jersey. Total of about 20 large out the door. I was very satisfied. They also have us in a LOADED MPV right now. It's not my 5, but would have been our second choice (minus the LOADED, of cour$e ;) ).
    Mine didnt do it for passengers, I dont believe. Only for the driver.

I did leave it off just to see if it would eventually die, and was chagrined to find that it actually goes into different modes of 'nagging' (faster, higher pitched, etc). Thats absolutely sadistic if you ask me. I really hate the whole concept of 'nannying' that cars are exhibiting these days.

If this keeps up, soon they'll just have a transponder in the car, and if you start it and put it in 'D' without the seatbelt on, the car will call the police and they'll mail you a ticket.

Just to complicate things further, my loaner MPV got a windshield crack from an especially motivated pebble on the interstate today. Then, I took it through a carwash and the side trim came off the driver-side sliding door. I also noticed that where my heel rests, the mouse-fur carpeting is almost completely worn down to the metal (The dealer didnt install the floormats, so I figured they didnt want me to use them). I sure hope the 5 isn't this poorly put together.
    I bought mine from Maple Shade Mazda too, and was very satisfied with the experience. I paid $18,100 before T3 for a Sport auto + fog lights + wheel locks.

Sadly, Maple Shade Mazda is an hour away from me, so for the recall I brought my Mazda5 to Mazda of Princeton (only 5 minutes away), and I only got a Mazda6i as a loaner.
  • mazdasidmazdasid Member Posts: 9
    Just got back from the dealership, in Texas, and was told that as of Friday October 7th, Mazda was issuing an official recall. This means that any fix as it is a "campaign" recall will be covered for the life of the Automobile. Fix would be available by Oct. 24 and repair done by the first week of Nov. The service manager did say that I could take my car back, but recommended that I keep it there as I was 3rd on the list to get the fix. So I left it. They have been pretty good to me and up front, so no need to not trust them. Even showed me the recall notice and said that we would receive similar letter.
    I got a letter today. It didn't really say anything I did not know from these groups.

HiFive
  • rideyourbikerideyourbike Member Posts: 17
    I live about 50 minutes from Maple Shade Mazda. At the beginning of the recall I was told to take my car to the service department of the nearest dealership, which was Brandywine Mazda (about 10 minutes). I had a deal fall apart at Brandywine because the salesman was a sweetheart and the sales manager was, well... long story short, I bought at Maple Shade. Brandywine hooked me up through Enterprise with a SWEEEET Ford Windstar with 14,000 miles, hardened chocolate ice cream in BOTH rear cupholders and an air conditioner that smelled like a smoker's room at a Motel 6. I called Brandywine and Enterprise and they UPGRADED (!!) me to a NEWER (!!) Kia Sedona with ONLY (!!) 9000 miles. Aghast at the prospect of driving the Kia for a month and a half, I raised some h-e-double-hockeysticks with Mazda customer service. The next day, Maple Shade called to tell me they had an MPV I could come and pick up. I slogged over there in the Sedona and slid into a LOADED MPV (leather, full power everything, huge moonroof). Though we would take back our 5 today, I ain't complaining. The only thing that bugs me is the crappy gas mileage and the fact I am driving a true MINIVAN!!!! Whoa is me!! Well, at least I have a car to drive! I only wish that everyone else on this board had the same level of service I did from my dealer of purchase. The big question is, should I let Brandywine fix mine? Hmmm????
    here was the deal the dealer offer m5 touring automatic, auto dimming mirror and compass windows price 20540 and invoice price 19250 so they let me have it for invoice+++......do i have good deal here. somebody...i dont have 500 garber so.......i am still thinking. they want me to buy right away..but i told them i will have to wait until the recall is done....at the main while i can do some search too.
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    You could try to get a Zoom Zoom Live $500 rebate. If Zoom Zoom drives are not offered in your area, "This offer is FULLY TRANSFERABLE but may not be sold." Regardless, they are common on eBay. When I bought my 5 at the beginning of Sept. they were going for about $25. They seem to go for a lot more now.
    "There are many for sale in Europe, and now you can buy one of the best in America: the superb new Mazda 5 (AW, Aug. 22). It’s already selling like crazy."

Actually, it's an article about European cars and how they are coping with the high price of petrol.... the above quote is about all it says specifically about the Mazda5.... I still thing we're ahead of the curve here.... called my salesman and ordered the roof rack today.... still excited, but November seems a long way off...

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103264
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    :) Early November isn't TOO far off now... only like three weeks!

While there's been some noise about the recall for sure, it's nowhere near what I thought it was going to be when I first heard about it.
    zoom zoom live....do i have to go to the show to get 500 conpon?i just afraid to buy one off from ebay...coz dont know if is very work...do you know there any conpon or up coming rebate....thankx
  • stan76stan76 Member Posts: 1
    Is the US$500 Zoom Zoom Live Rebate certificate valid for new 2006 Mazda5 purchases in Canada...?
  • willz2006willz2006 Member Posts: 8
    Hi my dad just bought the Mazda5 in September and about a week later, we heard about the recall. Our rental was from Enterprise ( Ford Freestar :( ) I want to know when is the specific or estimated date of when my Mazda5 ( a Platinum Silver GT) will arrive. Please reply ASAP~! Tks