Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
There appears to be several specific discussions for the new Mazda 5, but no general discussion. Personally I was wowed when I first saw the the Mazda 5 3 weeks ago. This was the car I was looking for to replace my 95 Odyssey (Honda lost me when they grew to a full size mini van.) Unfortunately, I purchased a new Forenza wagon at the end of May. But who knows?....

Comments

• drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I have planned to buy a new car and trade my Matrix since April this year. I needed one that's a little bit bigger. I was torn between the Mazda Tribute and the Honda CRV. I drove test both of them. I was impressed by both. Each has strong points so I could not decide which one to buy. Then, I read about this Mazda5. It got my attention. In its pictures it looked like my Matrix and I loved that looks. It also has everything that I was looking for. I especially like the sliding doors, easy in and out. So I decided to wait. I checked this forum everyday. People are excited about this car. Two weeks ago, I finally had the chance to test drive it. I got hooked. A week ago, I bought one and could not sleep the first night I had it. I'm still excited and there's that indescribable feeling whenever I'm in front of that wheel. I'm really happy that I waited.
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    I just can't believe how pleased I am with my Mazda5. It's been years since I've been happy to own the car I own.
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    I just drove by a mazda dealer yesterday and sat in a mazda 5. i had been reading a lot of the posts about it so i was excited to see it.

overall, i was pretty impressed. i liked the look of the vehicle and the overall size. a couple of impressions and questions that i had for owners / people who do more research than myself:

1. i forgot to look - do the windows next to the second row seats roll down?

2. i was disappointed that i could not get the steering wheel in a fully vertical position; i like to tilt the wheel so that the top of the wheel is as close to me as the bottom. no big deal or anything, but it adds to the driving experience because you can pretend you're in a go cart...

3. in response to some other posts about being able to get a fifth or sixth passenger into the backseat if carseats were present in the 2nd row: yeah, it would be a little difficult, but you can still use the fore / aft slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat to slide it forward (since the side lever requires that you tilt the seat before sliding). this works okay for getting in, but once someone is back there, they can't reach that slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat, so they either squeeze in between the 2nd row seats or wait for help! this probably isn't too big a deal either because as many others have stated this vehicle is not for someone wanting to fit 6 people in it on a regular basis.

4. i was disappointed with the cargo space when using the 3rd row. i don't think that we could even fit our evenflo stroller back there if we were going to dinner with the grandparents! however, i haven't tried this yet so maybe it's possible. i don't know what the spec for the luggage volume is, but it certainly looks much smaller than i expected. i saw an old 95-98 odyssey today and in looking at the luggage space behind the 3rd row, the tailgate glass was still fairly close to the seatback, but there was a lowered well at the floor which increased the usability greatly (i would suspect). i don't know what the luggage volume spec for the old odyssey is, however. anybody know these figures?

overall, i'm really excited to test drive a manual (they only had automatics there so i didn't bother to test), but as many others on this post seem to want a manual also, my guess is that they will be difficult to find for a while anyway.

any thoughts on these impressions?
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    1. i forgot to look - do the windows next to the second row seats roll down?

Yup, they roll down all the way.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Can any of you new owners take some photos with adults inside the 5 to give perspective.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    What's the story on roof racks for the Mazda 5? On inspection there appears to be four covered slots in the roof line much like my old Rav 4. My local dealer doesn't have any literature available yet and couldn't answer the roof rack question.

On a side note, am I alone in feeling that as a car salesperson, you should know your vehicles inside and out? Countless times I've spoken with sales folk who knew markedly less about their products than I, the customer, did.
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    "What's the story on roof racks for the Mazda 5? On inspection there appears to be four covered slots in the roof line"

In the manual it shows that the 4 covers simply remove and the roof rack fits into the slots there. The dealer told me they should have the roof racks, rear bumper cover, cargo net, etc. available sometime in August - I was considering going aftermarket for a roof rack - but if they'll have ones that just slip into the slots already in the roof I'd rather go with that.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Despite the fact that they have the time, the vehicles and the information most salesmen would rather read the paper, talk to their girl friend and smoke cigarettes. I know this unfairly depicts a very few but it is a fair appraisal of my experience over the last 30 years. Remember, turnover amongst car salesmen is over 100% per year and the salesman before you was likely selling time shares, Herbalife or cell phones the month previous. If you ever go to a dealership and depend on any information apart from inventory status you are doomed.
  • sampsamp Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

Can anyone who has bought a Mazda5 tell me if it has any towing capacity at all, as per the manual? None of the web sites, including Mazda's, say anything at all about towing. But I had a Mazda salesman tell me it can tow 2,000 pounds, which I find hard to believe (I'd think maybe 1000-1500 if anything at all). I am hoping I could tow just a small utility trailer with it.

Also, where is the spare tire on this thing? I didn't think to look while at the dealer.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • robyneilrobyneil Member Posts: 26
    As far as I know, you can't tow anything with the Mazda 5. You won't find a hitch below the rear bumper. Everyone, just please correct me if I'm wrong. There's a trailer hitch adapter that can be inserted on the front bumper though for towing the 5. This is the reason I'm searching for mazda/aftermarket roof racks for the 5 for versatility and extra space.

The spare is below the cargo area behind the third row seat, below the hidden cargo area compartment with tools inside (raise the lid). If they didn't put the spare there, I guess there'd have been more cargo space behind the third row seat just like with other vans and SUVs.

P.S. I subscribed for an email Thule notification for MZ5 roof racks and they said they are still working on the fittings for the MZ5. 'Let you know if they finally have fittings available.
    Thanks for the info. Does the manual say anything about towing in the specifications? Or does it void the warranty?

Thanks again,
    Sam
  • robyneilrobyneil Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info. Does the manual say anything about towing in the specifications? Or does it void the warranty?

Sam - 'Went through the manual again and there's nothing about towing specification. Here're the only things I can find for you:

page 10-4
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4572 lbs (actual curb weight is 3333)
    Front Gross Axle Weight Rating: 2218 lbs
    Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating: 2325 lbs

page 4-12
    Never tow a trailer with your Mazda

I did see detachable tow bar, Tow bar detachable, includes
    single wiring harness (12n), for the Mazda 3 at:

http://www.mazda.co.uk/buy/accessories/Accessories_Lifestyle.pdf

There are also 2 tiedown hooks behind the rear bumper, but it is for securing the Mazda 5. Another source says around 3000 lbs towing capacity for the Mazda 5, but I don't think its accurate because my subaru legacy sus (with 2.5L, 165 hp, trailer hitch) can only tow much less than that...2000 lbs:

http://www.drivewire.com/newcars/mazdamazda5specs.html

Thanks,

Robert
    Thanks for taking the time to look this up, Rob. Sounds like it probably will void the warranty, or could be interpreted that way.

I guess my only question now is what kind of crash test results it will get (particularly with side impacts), and I'll just have to wait for those. :)

Sam
  • carazycarazy Member Posts: 6
    I am kind of excited about this vehicle for my family but my only concern is that it may be a little smaller than I expected. Edmunds reports 44cu.ft. with the second and third row seats folded. Mostly we will just use it for 2 adults and 2 kids and occasionally a dog in the back. I would love to be able to fit a dog crate measuring 39 inches, front to back. I wonder if anyone owning this car can save me a trip to the dealer with the tape measure and see if this would fit between the second row and rear hatch (3rd row folded of course)?
    Thank you,
    Scot
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    With the 3rd row folded down - I get a width (at the narrowest part where the armrests are) of 40.5" and a depth of 38" (from the top edge of the folded 3rd row seat to the plastic edge trim at the rear hatch. I can move the middle row up a few inches and still have more than enough leg room for the kids - expanding the depth to 41 - 42". I forgot to measure the height of the cargo area.
    Edmunds reports 44cu.ft. with the second and third row seats folded.

The 44.4 cubic feet of cargo volume is with only the 3rd row folded down. There's much more than that if you also fold down the 2nd row.
    Perfect! Thanks so much. Sounds like I would be able to make it work (something I can't do with the Jeep we have now).
    Does this account for the angle of the second row? You really need to measure from the back of the 2nd row at the top to the back of the closed hatch to see what you can really fit.

You should really take it with you and check it out, since just by measuring you won't take into account the angles of the sides, the back hatch, and the back of the 2nd row seats. Plus you may find if it does fit, you won't have space for anything else back there.
    44.4 cubic feet with just the 3rd row down makes much more sense. Thanks.
    Plus if you're not going to need the 3rd row for sitting, you could fit that better into the back of a Ford Focus wagon...but then you'll only have the capability to seat 5 instead of 6.
    Does this account for the angle of the second row? You really need to measure from the back of the 2nd row at the top to the back of the closed hatch to see what you can really fit.

It definitely would be close. Since the crate is narrower at the top and with a couple of inches leeway it probably would work. Of course if this were critical, I would try it out before buying. This just keeps the Mazda on my short list of possible vehicles to purchase.
    Plus if you're not going to need the 3rd row for sitting, you could fit that better into the back of a Ford Focus wagon

I wonder if the Focus is as tall. I actually couldn't fit the crate into a rental Taurus wagon because it was too squat. Plus I love the flexiblility and sliding doors of the Mazda5.
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    Scot:

I have a bunch of measurements I took listed in an Excel spreadsheet.

Let me know if you can open an Excel spreadsheet and I can send it to you or post it here if I can figure out how.

Meanwhile, the top of 2nd row seat back to inside of hatch closed measurement I have (don't remember where the 2nd row seats were on their tracks, sorry) is: 32"

The narrowest width I have is between the rear wheelwells: 40.5"

The floor to ceiling heights are at the hatch opening top: 33", inside height max: 36"

The hatch at its widest part is: 41.5", did not measure the narrow part.

Hope this helps.
    Focus wagon is 45" wide at the narrowest and between 34-36" tall. I checked in the Focus forum
    This really puts it in perspective. Thanks for all the measurements! It's so close, I'm just going to have to check it out myself.
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    This is good to hear because I wanted a factory installed roof rack! I'll have to educate the salesperson about this option in the manual :P
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    Just got home from the local dealer.....the regional trainer was here today in a Phantom Blue (dang!...missed it) doing dealer training on the 5.

Anyway, they also finally got some brochures and an accessory brochure.

The accessory brochure shows a two cross-bar setup sort of like a Yakima or Thule rack. No lengthwise rails like on the European models. As I matter of fact, in one picture, it shows a bike rail on the roof rack....and it is a Yakima bike rail.

It also shows a ski/snowboard rack (branded Yakima)...only 1 board wide, maybe 3 pairs of skis if they are loaded bottom to bottom, not side by side, and a 13 cubic foot closed cargo box, 55" long by 35.2" wide by 18.2" high. If I look closely at the picture, it shows the cargo box is a Thule. There is also an open roof luggage "basket" with a cargo net, measuring 44" long by 39" wide by 6.2" deep. It says "Yakima" on it. So it appears regular Yakima/Thule type add-ons will fit this rack.

The rack looks to attach in the fittings under the rubber plug on the black roof trim, where the European style rack would be mounted.

If I had a scanner, I would scan stuff, but no scanner...sorry.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Just so everyone is aware....

Stellar silver is now called Stellar Green-Silver.

anyone who has seen it will agree the name change better describes the actual color.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    The Ford Freestyle was too big. The Subaru Tribeca's third row was laughably small. The Highlander boring and expensive. And so, when our family of four first stepped into the Mazda 5 at the dealer we all heaved a sigh of relief. A true 6-seater, well put together, great value etc. But we also have a 14ft sailboat that needs to be towed from time to time and there's a problem. Mazda seems to have decided the 5 can't handle even light towing duties in the United States, although UK websites suggest at least one accessories company there is working on a hitch. A previous post in answer to a similar question suggests the owner's manual is quite explicit about not using the Mazda 5 for towing. Page 4-12? Can others confirm this? Our salesman suggested we call Mazda headquarters, which redirected us back to our salesman. With a power-to-weight ratio similar to other vehicles we have fitted with hitches, I can't see the problem. Unless the transmission is not up to the job? Or the rear of the vehicle too flimsy? I hope the Mazda5 succeeds. It's a great design and arrives at the right time but I'm bummed about the towing.
    I wanna tow too! :cry:
    Could you tow the boat with a mazda3, since that is what the 5 is based on? It's hard for me to picture a Mazda3 or 5 towing a 14' boat down the highway!
    Check out this UK site. They have a hitch for a Mazda2! (and a Mazda3) They also say elsewhere on the site that they are working on a Mazda5 towbar:
    witter

See also: Reese for a Mazda 3 hitch sold in the U.S. supposedly rated 2000 lbs GTW. I'm talking 500 lbs max for my purpose.

There may be a good reason why the Mazda5 can't do it but I'm not getting any answers.
    Thanks for contacting Mazda.

>From my information, the U.S. model MAZDA5 is not designed to tow
    anything behind it. Unfortunately, the details as to why the MAZDA5 is
    not recommended for trailer towing are not available, only that Mazda
    does not recommend it.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda and have a good day.

:cry:
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    I hope this works better than last time. I just uploaded 55 pics of my Mazda5 to imagestation. The people in the picture are my cousins and range in height from just under 5 foot to 5' 11" so you can see the scale. I included a bunch of shots of the interior with the seats in different configurations/positions too.
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2122839645
  • sonodadsonodad Member Posts: 4
    Just a quick question I haven't seen answered - what is the emission rating of the Mazda 5? LEV, ULEV, SULEV? Mostly I'm just curious.
  • davondavon Member Posts: 2
    On the sales brochures here in England the towing capacity is clearly stated as up to 600 kgs with an unbraked trailer and up to 1400 kgs with a braked trailer.
    I am ordering my new 2.0 Sport Diesel this weekend.
    DJ England.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    WHAT?! You get a 2.0 liter diesel in England?

ARE you sure England doesn't want to become part of the US? j/k.

I am envious. Who makes the engine?

John
    I haven't heard of this before. It would be odd since so many cars are made in Japan. My Forester is ice cold, our MPV is also fine.

Sounds like some kind of psychological technique to try and resolve concerns of a mini van type interior with AC registers only in the front.

My guess is we see AC registers in the back, if not rear AC in the next gen 5.

John
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The cargo size for the '95 - '98 Honda Odyessy is 45.9 cu.ft. with the rear seats folded.

For tires, look at Kumho ECSTA 711 205/50/HR17 or 712 205/50VR17 at Discount Tire Co. I know Mazda5 uses VR tires, but HR are also available and listed as acceptable by Mazda. HR's are rated at 130mph max. The Mazda5 will never reach that speed. They are very quiet, ride smoothly and have high wear factors.

For aftermarket leather, which is softer than factory leather, check http://www.classicsofttrim.com for a dealer near you. Buy the covers on your own, much cheaper than through the dealer who has to farm out to the same supplier.

fowler3
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    My Mazda 5 was sitting in a driveway next to a Dodge Caravan, so I evened up the back bumpers and took a photo that shows how the silhouettes of the two vans compare.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope everyone has had a great summer! Stop in at the chat tonight and share some of your summer road trips... or just drop in to meet and greet with your fellow enthusiasts. Either way, we'll have a bit of fun and escape from the real world for an hour! :)

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Any word about Roof rails for the 5? Shopping for a 6 wagon this spring I was told it was a factory mount only option for the 6 wagons. Will the roof rack for the 5 be compatible for a dealer or owner installed option?
  • davondavon Member Posts: 2
    Yes we are getting the 2 litre 143 bhp turbo diesel in December. Have ordered Phantom blue, with a towbar (!!). Engine made by Mazda as far as I know, MIGHT be an offshoot of a Ford unit, but appears to be too smooth and quiet for this !
    Davon UK.
    I asked the question of our local Mazda dealer, and he had no clue that there was a 5 made elsewhere with a diesel engine.

He offered to call me when he heard something.

I am impressed with the 5. There was only one on the lot. Directly across from where it was parked were at least 20 MPVs, all of which were discounted to the same or cheaper than the 2002 MPV I bought 3 years ago. The same salesman said he heard Mazda had no intention of abandoning the MPV and that it was a "bestseller".

John
    I read in the brochure that this was standard, but didn't know to check this out when I was at the dealer.

Any comments?

John
    Yup, the steering wheel telescopes in my Mazda5 Sport...I was able to find a comfortable position without any trouble.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I asked the question of our local Mazda dealer, and he had no clue that there was a 5 made elsewhere with a diesel engine.

No surprise here ... I've been a customer at my local dealership for 14 years, and it was I who showed my sales manager the first photos of the Protege5, Mazda3 and Mazda5. He had no idea they were coming and didn't get confirmation until at least six months later in each instance.

Meade
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    ...Mazda had no intention of abandoning the MPV and that it was a "bestseller".

:surprise:
    the MPV is a great van and well planned. The '03-04 tranny issues, CR yanking it from the "recommended" category, average mpg, and America's passion for bigger and more HP have reduced sales. Meanwhile Honda and Toyota came out with 8 seaters and more mpg.

Good news is that the 5 doesn't yet have much competition. And, I believe the timing is just right.

John