Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pilotguypilotguy Member Posts: 11
    Did you ever get a response on this question? I'm in a similar situation and wnated to see if you got any advice and what you ended up doing about purchasing the 2007 S60.
  • theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    Never got a response. As a matter of fact, took the dealer that I was trying to get prices from 3 days before they returned my call! Guess that they really didn't want the business. They called as I was sitting in another dealership getting a great deal!
    Too bad, at least you got a good deal though. Care to share the details about your deal. I actually started looking at a 2008 S40, but then read some pretty bad reviews on it. Oh well
  • massimo1massimo1 Member Posts: 9
    There are still S60 2007s (not demos) in my area. Edmund's TMV for the basic S60 is $25,757. How much should I expect to pay for an extended warranty? Also I know there is a $4500. cash back to dealer ending on Jan. 8. Do you think there will be more incentives after Jan. 8, or will this one be extended? Any advice appreciated.
    What is the better deal

2007 S60 Loaner (2.5T FWD with Climate and Premium) with 7000 miles for $25,795 plus TTL

-or-

Brand new 2008 S60 (2.5T FWD with Climate and Premium) for $28,995 plus $99 fee plus TTL

Any thoughts/help/ideas/pearls of wisdom?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    $3300 spread.. hmmmmm

That makes it pretty even... If anything would tip me one way or the other, it would be the full 4-year warranty on the new one.. I would guess that the warranty clock has already started on the demo..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

yup, tough spread. I think if either of them would move their nubmer a bit, then it would make it an easy choice. I'm also struggling with the warranty issue. I will most likely put about 22k miles on in per year.

Do you think I have more negotiating room with the 2007 loaner or the 2008 new? Have you seen better prices/deals than this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    Well.. if you drive that much, then it isn't the time, it's the mileage... And, the mileage on the demo will only put you out of warranty about 4 months sooner...

Assuming you are keeping the car for 3-4 years, the higher mileage will keep the re-sale price difference to a minimum..

Given all that, I'd have to go with the demo..

I don't follow the Volvos enough to tell you if those are good quotes.. I'm only looking in relative terms to each other.. As a general rule, demos usually aren't that great of a deal... and, they are harder to peg, because knowing what sort of incentives, dealer allowances, etc., on a demo are harder to find out about..

But, the delta between the two looks better than on most demo/new car comparisons that I've seen... On any new car deal, you'll eventually get to a number that no dealer will go below... On a demo, you may run into a deal where they want to get rid of it, and may be willing to take a loser deal on it.. Of course, you'll have to figure that out during negotiations..

Does Volvo have a CPO program? If so, that could be a negotiating point on the demo.. A nice extended warranty from Volvo would push me over the top.. Especially with your mileage needs, that would come in handy..

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hmbchmbc Member Posts: 3
    Hi there. Just checking to make sure that I got a good price- I feel good about it but wondering what others think.
    2006 s60r
    15k miles
    18 inch chrome volvo wheels
    bluetooth
    navi
    ipod connector
    heated seats

I paid 29,000- it was a one owner car that was a lease.

thanks
    I ended up buying the 2007 S60 FWD with the Premium and Climate packages. It had 6k miles on it and I paid $25,795. It sounds like you got a good deal.
  • hmbchmbc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks- It was lower than the blue book value- so I thought I did well. I only was able to talk them donw $500. I guess it does not help that there were 2 other people that wanted the car as well. They say the R line is hard to get.
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I am in the market for a new car. VW Passat turbo 6A and Volvo S40/S60 are on the list.

I also think about the 2007 S60 with 6000-10000 mile loan car at dealership. How much is a fair of good price to buy one? They are asking 28000. But given the depreciation amount on true cost sheet from edmunds it should be lower than 26000. Also the 2007 does not have those $4000 off from new 2008 models. I haven't discussed more with the dealer yet but I am thinking choosing one of those or even another brand. Of course a particular car and how the deal is are the bases make decision.
    I paid $25,795 for my 2007 loaner with 6k miles on it. They said that it was already priced at rock bottom and they couldn't go any lower. I thought it was a good price so I bought it. MSPR was approx $35.5k
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    greatcars - Where do you live? Are you looking for the S60 AWD?
    In Florida. It's FWD, not AWD.
    I agree with you and no need to talk for another $500 up or down. 6k miles sounds very good and I had thought it can't be more than $26000. That's not including tax, right? It also depends on the options. The ones they listed are FWD and probably are loaded with most options except the navigation system which I think is not worth buying. Usually you drive at local and don't need that. If you go to a strange place a $200 GPS will do all the work, why pay $2000?
  • kwarnoldkwarnold Member Posts: 41
    Hi everyone, My lease on my current car is up next month and I am looking for a nice "sporty" sedan to replace it. I had read on here that there were some BIG deals being made on S60's. Is that still the case?

I will almost undoubtedly lease again. 15K miles per year, 3-4 years (max). There were some early comments about discounts on Volvo leases of $5,000 to 7,000 if I remember correctly. (Should have re-read the posts before posting this one!)

My local dealer has a car that I have not seen yet, but their web site shows an MSRP of $27,200 so I am assuming it is optioned close to what I am looking for.

Can anyone share with me what I might expect the capitalized cost of the car to be on a lease? (Hope I said that correctly - basically "what SHOULD a car like this approximately cost?")

I want something below $400 per month and I am willing to put up a couple of dollars (not much, since it is a lease) in order to make things work.

Any insights on what I can expect or should target are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Keith
  • towerwitchtowerwitch Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 S60 2.5T AWD with sport package - $20,050 + tax & tags. 19k original miles - it was a returned lease. Both key fobs plus valet key.

opinions please :)
  • colotjcolotj Member Posts: 18
    Fair deal. Both you and the seller recieved a fair deal.
  • mafan3mafan3 Member Posts: 2
    2008 new S60 FWD 2.5T with premium package (leather seat, moon roof), 26K + TTL

Thanks
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Was surprised to read in an article about the overall economy that Volvo's sales are down over 50% currently. Since the sales numbers were never all that great to begin with, a 50% drop is amazingly bad. Future resale may be headed towards Saab/ Mitsubishi/Suzuki territory. With Toyota offering zero percent interest rates on Camry and most of its models, it is very difficult to justify buying a Volvo.
    Certainly it is a time to slowly and carefully consider your automotive options and decisions.
  • YEMandyYEMandy Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T today at a local dealership. It has
    48,000 miles and seems to be in great condition with having only 1 owner. They are asking $16,209. This would be my first Volvo and I really enjoyed the test drives today. Does this seem like a good deal, opinions? Thanks!
  • bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    I think you can do better. Have seen the following (2) listings (Dallas area):

05 S60, 44K, Lease return, $14,995 asking price

07 S60, 53K, Certified, $16,995 asking
  • djminflldjminfll Member Posts: 1
    It seems high to me... I bought a 2007 S60 2.5T with Premium/Leather with 30K miles in December. The dealer wanted $21K, I negotiated it down to $18K without too much effort. And the '07 and newer has more features, including the turn signals on the mirror and MP3 aux jack.
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    Warning for anyone buying an S60 new....they lose their value more quickly than many of their competitors. Some sites have it as a best buy as a used car for that very reason. We bought a 2006 loaded S60 AWD in late 2006 (07's were out); sticker was $39.2K and we paid $31.5K - good deal, right? It was a great car and very reliable ( cannot knock the car), but..... A month ago the best we could get anywhere on a trade-in was $11K with 66K miles and the car was spotless. The dealer put it on the lot at $16K and had to drop the price to $13K to get a nibble. The salesman told me they got $12,750 for it. That guy got a great deal!!! Buy a used one and let someone else (like me) take the loss.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    In all fairness any 3 yr old car with 66K miles isn't going to be worth much.
  • tmikebtmikeb Member Posts: 18
    I am considering an S60 for my next company car. There is no trade-in and I call it a cash purchase because our leasing company sends a check to pay the dealer.

I am limited to spending 27.2K. What is the best deal you have heard for one equipped like this: (leasing stipulations say it has to be a new/non demo)

2009 Volvo S60 2.5TTOTAL $36,462 BASE PRICE (MSRP)$32,800 Volvo Allowance*-$3,000 StylingN/C
    Exterior Ice White
    N/C Talos 7.5" x 17" Alloy Wheels
    N/C Interior Graphite Sport Leather
    N/C Optional Equipment$5,190
    Climate Package
    $675
    Heated Front Seats
    Headlight Washers
    Rain Sensor
    Advanced Package
    $1,595
    Speed Sensitive Steering
    Sunglass Holder
    Grocery Bag Holder
    HomeLink™ Remote Garage Door Opener
    Interior Air Quality Sensor (IAQS)
    High Performance Audio System
    Aluminum Inlays
    Park Assist, Rear
    Talos 7.5" x 17" Alloy Wheels
    Dual Xenon Gas Discharge Headlights with Active Bending Lights (ABL)
    $800 Volvo Navigation System with HDD, DVD Map Data and Remote Control
    $2,120 Accessories$647

(Prices shown for Accessories do not include installation. Please check with your Volvo Dealer for installation costs).

Sirius Satellite Radio
    $561 Mudflaps, Front and Rear
    $60 Sunglass Holder, Roof
    $26 Standard FeaturesComplimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance for the First 3 Years or 36,000 Miles
    Horsepower 208 @ 5,000 RPM; Torque 236 @ 1,500-4,500 RPM
    Turbocharged 5-Cylinder, 2.5-Liter Engine
    5-Speed Geartronic Automatic Transmission
    Front Wheel Drive
    Driver and Front Passenger Supplemental Restraint System - Dual-Threshold Air Bags
    Inflatable Side Curtains (IC)
    Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS)
    Side Impact Air Bags for Driver and Front Passenger
    Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC)
    16" Alloy Wheels
    Power Glass Sunroof
    Front Foglights
    Estimated 27 MPG Highway
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    Performance Audio System with Single In-Dash CD
    Electronic Climate Control
    Genuine Wood Inlays
    Power Driver's and Passenger Seat
    Split Folding Rear Seats 60/40
    Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror with Compass
    Warranty4 Years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
    Complimentary Factory Scheduled MaintenanceComplimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance for the First 3 Years or 36,000 Miles
    Includes factory recommended maintenance as listed in the Warranty and Maintenance Records Information booklet, for the first four maintenance services at intervals of 7,500, 15,000, 22,500 and 30,000 miles
    Roadside AssistanceVolvo On Call Roadside Assistance
    4 Years
    DESTINATION FEE$825 DisclaimerAs a model year progresses, changes may occur in some of the specifications, features, optional equipment and pricing. The manufacturer reserves the right to make such changes. Prices listed are Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Accessory prices do not include installation.

Optional equipment may vary by region. See your Authorized Volvo Retailer for details of the most current package/option program. The $825 destination charge is an additional fee. Colors, interiors and actual images of the vehicle are not a true representation of the actual colors and/or product. It's best to view the actual product at your Authorized Volvo Retailer.

* For a limited time, receive a Volvo Allowance on all new 2009 C30, C70, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70 and XC90 models.

Volvo Allowance is available on all new 2009 C30, C70, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70 and XC90 models. Not available on Volvo XC60. Volvo Allowance and purchase price will vary per model. Take new retail delivery from retailer stock between April 1, 2009 and April 30, 2009. Offer available at participating retailers only. See participating retailer for qualifications and complete details.
    Print Email
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I was at a local used car super store (regional Carmax-like dealership) looking at a few Acura TLs and a Lexus IS 250. I was shocked to find a 2008 Volvo S60 2.5T in perfect condition with 19k miles for under $22k! The Edmunds TMV for Dealer Retail is showing as $27,616 and Trade-In is almost $23k...I'm trying to determine if I've lucked up on a great deal or is Edmunds TMV for the S60 way off?

The car is as follows-

2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
    White/Taupe Leather
    Premium Pkg- Sunroof, Pwr Passenger Seat, Geartronic, Wood Inlays
    Climate Pkg- Heated Seats, Headlamp Washers, Rain Sensor
    19,500 miles
    Perfect, As-New Condition
    $21,990
    Balance of 48mo/50k warranty (2.5yrs/30k miles remaining)

I'm very tempted to snatch this one up for that price! The only thing I'd like to be different is the standard alloy wheels- it has the 16" EURUS and eventually I'd love to upgrade to 17" or 18" alloys.

The remaining warranty is reassuring. Are there any potential issues with this model/powertrain that I should be cautious about?

Thanks!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I see a lot of messages regarding the purchase of a Volvo S60 so I thought I'd post my info. In Jan 2008, I purchased a demo 2007 S60 with Premium Package, Climate package, and satellite pre-wiring with 6,000 miles on it for $25,795. I thought that was a great price...remember that was also before car sales completely fell off of a cliff so I'm sure you can get a much better deal now. My advice, negotiate the heck out of the price, buyers are in the driver's seat now. Oh, and I love the car, I'm glad I went with the S60.

-Mike
  • goddess_1goddess_1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi, Igozoomzoon -

Catching onto your message late & am not sure if you already made a decision (most likely), BUT that seems a great deal to me and wouldn't hesitate. I bought a 2006 S60 in 2007 with 9.5K miles for $23.4K - which was great deal at the time, especially for SoCal prices. I have had absolutely no regrets - was considering a MB C280 at the time, glad for my S60!
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    My wife is looking to trade up from her Mini to an S60 or S40. We came across this one at the local Volvo dealership (in Omaha, NE).

2008 Volvo S60 2.5T ASR
    Exterior: Silver Metallic
    Interior: Graphite leather
    Transmission: Auto
    Mileage: 7,605
    Premium package with moon roof & power passenger seat
    Climate package with rain sensors & (?) headlight washers (?)
    Asking price is $22,995.

The Carfax is clean & clear - it appears the car was a rental car. I know some about Volvo, but not much (haven't bought a car in 3+ years, and wasn't really looking at Volvo at the time). What is the forum consensus? Good deal or should we try and negotiate a bit more off?
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    We are coming up on the 2010 model year, and many of us remember back in '07 when Volvo was offering tons of money cash back on leases from outside banks. The residuals on '07 R AWD's were in the low 17s on a 36 month lease.

With that in mind, wouldn't it make sense that the market is going to end up being flooded with all of these off lease S60 2.5, 2.5 AWD, and R AWD vehicles in the next 12 months at what seems like fire sale prices?

We have an S40 coming off lease in April, that had an original MSRP of 27,XXX and has a lease end residual of 13k - we will most certainly be buying it at lease end, but are also looking to maybe add an S60 AWD in the next year if the price was as low as it seems it could be. Thoughts?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    You should always try to negotiate a lower price...unless you're dealing with a "no-haggle" dealership, the asking price is only a starting point! Most of the pricing guides value the car at close to $23k, but I'd start at $21,500 and wouldn't pay more than $22k for it!

Usually, I'm not a big fan of former fleet cars (especially rentals), but this might be an exception to the rule. I know that Hertz used to offer products from Ford's luxury brands (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Lincoln) as their "Prestige Collection". Typically, they were rented by more upscale customers than typical rentals. So the cars should be in very good condition, especially with such low mileage!

The original 4-year/50,000-mile warranty is still in effect, correct?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Nice low mile S60's are going for over book at the auctions right now. Even iffy cars are bringing close to book. I doubt you will see "fire sale" prices anytime soon.
  • dukeshahdukeshah Member Posts: 10
    If it is indeed a good buy, should I purchase an extended warranty?
    My initial reasearch suggests that I can get an extended warranty (4 yr, 50,000 miles) for about $3,300.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

A
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Price is right about wholesale.
    Considering that the car is out of warranty, you may want to consider buying one.
  • realtorken1realtorken1 Member Posts: 14
    Just wondering if anyone has seen any numbers lately either from personal experience or Manheim.

I have a '07 S60 2.5T with 31k coming off lease in 2 months and wondering if this would be a good buy or not.
    The average dealer retail for an '07 S60 2.5T in my area (Atlanta) is in the $17-18k range. Your low mileage will boost the value a bit, as will any options your car has.

It seems that the Willow Green cars are priced around $1k lower than similar '07 models in other colors...at least that's what I've been seeing.
  • cwy1cwy1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into replacing my old 850 with a certified pre-owned 2007 S60 2.5T AWD with Convenient package, Premium package, and a nice looking wood steering wheel. The car has 32K miles on it. After some negotiating, the dealer is looking for $21,900. I am thinking $20K. Wonder what others think.
  • s60leasers60leaser Member Posts: 61
    Im looking at a 2008 S60 2.5T AWD Willow Green with 23K miles for 22K plus tax.Original tires and brakes, so that work adds $1800 in next 6 months, plus 30K service another$650.
    Whats a good price?
    And, has anyone heard of a dashboard glare issue with the light leather interior?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    edited April 2010
    I stopped into the local Volvo dealer (Volvo of Nashville) and noticed a glut of 2006 S60 2.5T FWD models and I was wondering how much I should be paying for one if I decided to buy.
    Here's an example:
    2006 Volvo S60 2.5T FWD
    $17,900
    25,548 miles
    Willow Green Metallic

What would be reasonable for the car? I was thinking somewhere in the $15,500-$16,500 neighborhood... The dealer has several other 2006 models ranging from $16,800 (Silver metallic, 30,000 miles) to $18,900 (silver metallic, different wheels, 11,098 miles)

I went and looked at several S60s on this dealer's lot when the dealer was closed one Sunday and found them to be in decent cosmetic shape. No additional details, though, for now... I'm just interested in ball park figures on '06s.

And the dealer also has an '07 with 25,927 miles for $18,800.. The listing says the car has a rear spoiler, bi-xenon headlights, heated seats, and sirius satellite radio.

There is also a 2008 with 51,000 miles listed for $18,800. Next to the '07s and the '06s, this one seems like it isn't a very good deal.

Would the '07 be a better deal? It has a black leather interior that I'd rather avoid being in the South... I prefer the taupe interior on the '06s the dealer has. What difference was there between the 2 years?

Also, none of the Volvos on this dealer's lot are certified. What are the odds of asking the dealer about certifying a specific car?
  • katie26katie26 Member Posts: 1
    I am recently searching for the same car. I live in Amherst Va. But , I am getting a little concerned now about all the problems after the warranty is up and the expense. My friends all sya they're great cars, but this would be my first car other than American made. It kinda gets very overwhelming. Please keep me informed if you find any more info or great buys. Thanks..
    Consumer Reports considers the S60 a "Good Bet" as a used car purchase. The reliability of the '06 is rated as above average and the '07 and newer have been much better than average (their highest rating).

If you're concerned about longer-term reliability, you should consider a "Certified Pre-Owned" S60. They are often well-kept lease vehicles that are turned in after their 24-36 months term is over. Volvo has the best CPO program in the business with 6-year/100,000-mile coverage (from original in-service date when new).

Good luck!
  • carfanatic37carfanatic37 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide between these 2 cars. The volvo has 62K miles and everyone says that they are not as reliable as the Infiniti which has 55K miles on it. Both cars drive awesome. The volvo does not feel as if it has a 90/10 split in the AWD with 90% going to the front? As for the infiniti, it drives awesome, pushes the car because it is rear wheel drive. The infiniti is much quieter than the volvo, but the volvo has all wheel drive. I live in the Northeast but have a pick up truck to drive if it snows. Any thoughts
  • laxcoach19laxcoach19 Member Posts: 6
    Spent many months looking for a car to replace my 04 acura tl. Liked everything about the T5 and thought it was the right fit for me. Here are my numbers and tell me how I did: gray T5 with climate package, premium package, and wood inlay option. MSRP was $35,500. First offer was invoice at $33,579. I emailed two other dealers and called them up asking them what their best price was. One offered 33,100 while the second offered 33,300. I called the first dealer back who then offered $32,579, $1000 below invoice. He knocked off the $79 since I was putting a nice cash deposit down making it $32,500. I thought that was fair and I accepted. Live on Long Island, so with taxes and fees it came to $35,565. The car is highly recommended, very comfortable, practical, sporty with some great tech features. Good luck!
  • bdewittbdewitt Member Posts: 13
    Just picked up my S60 T5:

Ice White/Black Brown Leather
    Climate Package
    Premium Package
    Urbane Wood
    Upgraded Wheels
    Tempra Spare Kit
    MSRP: $35,325
    My price: $32,800 (including volvo loyalty).
    They also "over allowed" on my 2007 Lexus trade by at LEAST $1,000.... so I basically got the Volvo for $31,800 including my Volvo $1,000 loyalty.
  • th3oth3o Member Posts: 2
    Hi bdewitt my wife and I are looking at a very similar S60. Is 32,800 your price out the door or are you not including tax and title?

Thanks for any info. I just want to have a price to shoot for!
  • bdewittbdewitt Member Posts: 13
    Hi th30!!

32800 is BEFORE tax and tags. In this case I didn't pay any tax, because the trade-in value on the lexus was actually higher than the sale price of the car..... but this is pre tax.

The s60's are very hot right now, so don't expect a MASSIVE discount. I would shoot for around 3k off of sticker (or 4k if you have Volvo loyalty bonus) on a 2012 T5 model.

It's a great car... good luck!! Let me know how you make out!! Where are you planning to buy??
  • th3oth3o Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bd Thanks for the reply! We are in Pittsburgh PA 3k was around what I am looking to knock off we are planning to start trying to work a deal the end of this week. I will definitely update once we have finalized. Thanks again for the reply and the positive review of the car we loved it on the test drive and my wife is definitely set on it so I hope we can get a decent deal.

Thanks!!!!
  • redstone2redstone2 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    Looking @ 2012 S60 T5 with Premium Package,Climate,Metallic Paint, Wood Inlay and Dual Pipes. List is $35,850. What's reasonable on a best deal? Seems like adequate inventory in Dallas. Any help is appreciated.