Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    In the military overseas and looking into purchasing an S60 T6 R with Multimedia & Technology pkg, IAQS, BLIS, PCC, and Elec Silver metallic for $41,790. This will be my first Volvo and debating between this or an IS350, G37. Any thoughts?
  • jiggytomjiggytom Member Posts: 9
    Just financed a new Volvo S60 T5 with Climate, Premium, and 17" Rims with Self Supporting Tires (Run Flats). Did a 72 month finance with 4K down, payment is 479/month including everything. Selling price of car was 33,300 (500 under invoice), MSRP was 35,800. How did I do?
  • redstone2redstone2 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    I think that is a good deal. Did you have the $1000 loyalty.
  • redstone2redstone2 Member Posts: 4
  • jiggytomjiggytom Member Posts: 9
    No, didn't have the volvo loyalty. If I did, it would have been been about 15 bucks less a month.
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    I live on Long Island also and am looking at the R design. Which dealers did you go to?
  • laxcoach19laxcoach19 Member Posts: 6
    i ended up buying my car from smithtown volvo. i did send out an email to all local dealers and used glen cove and huntington to help get a better deal. all three dealers were nice to deal with. good luck!
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    I test drove the s60 R-Design at Huntington on Saturday. I want to test drive a xc60 R-Design also. I have to call around to see who has one.
  • stone19stone19 Member Posts: 28
    Looking into S60 T5, looking for 1k under invoice, does that sounds doable? Dealer was willing to go to invoice without even haggling so an additional 1k sounds like it could be done.

Also debating until waiting until December to purchase, do they historically run better deals come December?
  • senoraquesosenoraqueso Member Posts: 2
    I'm waffling between these two! My 3 yr lease on my Audi A4 is ending in a few weeks and I have been looking for my next car. My A4 is my second Audi and I am stunned that Audi has made no effort to contact me to retain my business. My daughter's Jetta lease doesn't end until January and VW has already been contacting her. I've enjoyed my Audis (previously in a '05 TT which I LOVED) and would consider staying if the price was right.

Anyway, I've looked at: Volvo S60, BMW 3 series, VW Passat/CC, Honda Accord EX-L V6 and Acura TL/TSX. We've narrowed it down to the TL and S60. both have very comfortable seats, which is important to my bad back and commute. The Volvo has a beautiful exterior and great color options. The instrument panel/console is a little offputting to me, but I could get used to it for the nice ride and handling.

The TL has an improved appearance, yet only available in shades of blah (black, white, and shades of the road). The tech package is incredibly enticing! I've asked about the Basque red pearl and have been told there are NONE available or on order in all of Southern California. The Volvo S60 red is readily available.

I am interested in a 15,000 3 yr. lease. I want to be well informed about the pricing and financing options/figures. When the time comes I will use the AAA car buying service, regardless of lease or purchase, to arrange for the base price. I've used this before with success, but my last experience found the dealership difficult to deal with, wanting to yank my chain and put the AAA pricing aside. That was with Hyundai (for my daughter). You can be sure AAA knew about my experience with this particular dealership. I hope with Volvo or Acura that they will be a little more respectful.

I find the look of the Volvo S60 to be so appealing, and so comfortable, and the pricing is better than the Acura. I don't want a boring gray or white car, can't handle black in So Cal. Yet the Acura's a very comfortable car and the Tech Pkg is so interesting (if not a bit intimidating). I found the ride and comfort to be very comparable. The Acura is more expensive but should retain a good value long term. With the current ownership of Volvo I am concerned about longevity. The S60 should do well to keep them in business.

I know that is a lot of information, but my head is so full of conflicting information. I need help!
  • spangaroospangaroo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, senoraqueso for such a detail comparsion. I live in upstate NY and I have narrowed my choices down to the TL Tech and the S60 as well and am completely torn. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I thought I had made my final decision for the TL however, I want it in the mayan bronze and can't find one anywhere in my area. This may be the deciding factor for me. The two cars are relativity alike in so many ways, it may come down to who can give me the better deal.
    Good luck on which ever you decide, and let us know!
  • dcctlvdcctlv Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2012 S60 (red) T5 for 33,433. Sticker was 36,115. Dealer had approx 26 S60 on lot. Was disappointed with the color of the red, online it appeared pretty vivid and in person it is an awful (in my opinion) burgundy with orangish undertone. I need the dark interior and did not like the other colors the car came in. Dealer delivered car with 3/4 tank of gas and check engine light on. My first Volvo (I have been an Audi driver) and not impressed with the whole package yet. Hope this grows on me or I'll trade it in next year.
  • spadesqueenspadesqueen Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2007 Volvo S60 (37K). Dealer offered 2yr/24,000 Gold+ extended warranty w/Fidelity Warr Service for $2,200. Wife commutes approx 20,000 miles to work a year, so doesn't make much sense.

Should we re-negotiate, increase contract term or cancel? If so, any warranty suggestions are appreciated. Car was prev lease/1-owner/exc condition/all service&maintenance completed.

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,530
    I wouldn't pay for a 3rd party warranty... I'd cancel, and put the money in a maintenance account.. .to be used as needed...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sherraysherray Member Posts: 1
    Now that it's end of the year, I'm wondering how much off of the MSRP dealers will be willing to come down if they have the car on their lot? Is $2,000 - $2,500 reasonable to expect (without other large fees that add to the out-the-door price - doc fees, etc.). My husband would receive the military discount which is $1200 in and of itself.

Also, we're thinking of ordering a Volvo from the manufacturer so we can have the options we want. I was told this would cost an additional $250...is this correct?

This site has valuable information but I haven't been able to determine actual invoice and am not sure how much negotiation room I have.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I'm negotiating with my local Volvo dealer for the purchase of a new S60 and it's a battle, albeit conducted in a professional manner. In the past, when purchasing Toyotas and Subarus, if I was able to seal the deal under Edmunds TMV, I felt I did OK. This time the number is about $400 above Edmunds for a 2012 model. However, this has to be ordered and will be a 2013. Given that, am I getting a decent deal???
  • roubaudroubaud Member Posts: 80
    What happened? Get the S60? Anyone pulling the trigger before June with the double incentive? (2 months lease paid + conquest cash) I sure hope they extend the conquest cash into June. Anyone getting good lease rates?
    I ordered a 2013 flamenco red, soft beige/off black interior. Chrome tail pipes and textile floor mats are standard for 2013. I got the climate, tech and platinum packages (which includes NAV, keyless drive with personal car communicator, active xenon headlights, front and rear park assist, rear parking camera, power passenger seat, moonroof, permium audio, and blind spot warning as an individual option for $40,536 and got $11,000 for my 2005 Avalon. I probably could have done a little better if I shopped around some, but this dealership is close to home and offers loaners for life to anyone that buys there. They say the car will arrive in July. I think it will be more like August. Have you gotten any prices for 2013's?
    Shoot, I'm hoping to snag a 2012 yet--I don't mind. Won't get as fancy a car as you are (why do I need nav when I have a nuvi, for example). I'm selling my own car and will put that money into pay-the-lease account. I sure would like those Xenon lights though.
  • lightweightslightweights Member Posts: 1
    Looking at new 2012 S60 t5 moonroof, premium package and climate, blue color with nav prep. Msrp 35520 invoice is 33941. Any thoughts on getting it at 33000 (plus tax and tags) or under before rebates. Besides holdback anyone know if any factory to dealer $ in background
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    I'm getting my 2012 for $1,000 under invoice + $1,000 conquest + $900 first two months free + $400 lease trade-in equity + free 17" Njord wheels ($250 value).
  • sethisethi Member Posts: 14
    Looking to close in on a Volvo S60 before conquest cash ends...have been quoted $430 for 36 months with $700 down (15K + Premium + Metallic + Multimedia) Any comments?

also can someone provide the money factor and residual value of this car? wanted to make an attempt to calculate the lease price on my own.

Thanks.
    A T5 base is .00003 money factor, but one with options close to yours is .00035 or very close. Residual of 56%. I think you can do a bit better on the monthly personally.
    Options don't matter - it's the same buy rate .00003. Residual for 15K miles is 53%, not 56%.
  • sethisethi Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the inputs.

Closed in for $449 (incl tax @7%) with 0 down on a metallic + prem + multimedia + Climate + Chrome + Wood inlays + BSIS + 15 K miles.

Quick question - The dealership mentioned that the wear and tear warranty on leased cars is limited by Volvo to 36,000 miles even though the allowed mileage is 15K. Is that an accurate statement?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,530
    Quick question - The dealership mentioned that the wear and tear warranty on leased cars is limited by Volvo to 36,000 miles even though the allowed mileage is 15K. Is that an accurate statement?

Sounds like they are trying to sell you an additional insurance policy...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Bought a 2012 S60 T5 yesterday:

Ice White, Beige Interior
    - Climate
    - Premium
    - Xenon headlights
    - BLIS
    - Park Assist
    - PCC
    - Chrome Tail Pipes
    - Njord Wheels
    - Nav Prep

Sticker was $37, 965 Purchase price including all fees (except TT&L) $33,890. Discount included $1k loyalty cash and $900 finance rebate (financing at 1.9% for 36 months.
    I think that's a pretty darn good deal.
    It took a bit of work but I was satisfied.
    Picked my S60 T5 up last week:

Savile Grey/Black
    Premium
    Climate
    Sport Appearance package
    17" Njord
    MSRP: $37,170
    Sale price (financed): $32,602 (incl. $375 trade-in equity and $1,000 conquest)
    Paid almost full tax with $900 "two free months" cash.
  • taylorjtaylorj Member Posts: 1
    Was quoted $35,998.90 for a '12 S60 premium package black on black. That is the out the door price(tt&l are part of that price) It includes the conquest cash and $900 rebate for the summer.

It didn't really take much negotiating so I am wondering, do you think I can do any better?
    Awful deal. If you're talking T5 anyway. Are you leasing, loan, cash? If lease, what are miles? I'll post about my deal which I'm ok with in a second on a new post.
    I got a 2012 T5 black on black with premium, climate, communicator, and chrome pipes for $32,775. Leased with $2,000 down (taxes and fees up front) at $350 / mth, 36mths. 10,000 miles a year. This includes conquest and the summer lease special. I think I did ok--what do you guys think? Really enjoying the car but still in honeymoon phase. Big road trip coming so we'll see if the seats are as good as everyone says.
    Sale price should have been at least $1K less: ~ $33,500 invoice - $1K conquest - ~$700 two months free = $320/month. Does your $2K down include acquisition fee or it was rolled into the lease? Also, it would be nice to know what kind of black you got - there is $550 difference in MSRP. It is very possible to get 2012 S60 for $500-$1,000 under invoice since there are plenty of them and 2013's are coming.
    The $2k included acquisition fee--and I got the $550 fancy black metallic. So I did get in under invoice in the price range you suggested, but I sort of agree that I could have done a bit better, as you say $320. Are you enjoying yours?
  • outsider121210outsider121210 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a demo 2012 S60 T5 FWD for OTD price of $29,500. This is overseas through the military buying program. It is cosmic white with beachwood/beige interior and urban decor inlays. Has premium, technology, and climate package and 1500 miles. First Volvo purchase and I felt like it was a good deal but still somewhat uncertain. What do you think?
  • volvopaul1volvopaul1 Member Posts: 3
    Have considered joining the Volvo Club of America. If you are a card carrying member you can receive the employees family discount, there are details on the website. It might be worth the $45 to join if you know you want a Volvo.
    Took my new 2012 S60 T5 on a 2,000 mile trip on interstates and winding country roads, through wind, rain, and heat. I thought folks were blowing smoke when they said the seats were comfy, but unlike my previous German and Asian cars, my back and bottom never hurt one bit even after eight hours. I will say the touted climate package air filter did not filter out skunk, cow, or exhaust smells--I was hoping it would. This is a nice car that borders comfortable long-distance touring and sporty / spirited driving. I know most BMW fans will think I'm nuts, but I'd rather have the S60 than a 3 (and most definitely over the other overpriced or tired options, talking Merc and Infinity respectively). So, I just picked a fight I think.
  • matty100matty100 Member Posts: 1
    Are there any established sales/residuals/financing rates/incentives on the 2012 S60s? Has anyone had experience ordering one? I'm considering getting one of those instead of a 2012, but can't seem to find any numbers or info on them.

Thanks for any info you may have.
  • bagel5bagel5 Member Posts: 9
    Hi - I'm looking at a 10,000 mile lease on a 2012 S60 with premium package (leather and moonroof) in New Jersey. There is an advertised special of 3,490 down (excludes tax and title) and $289 per month. Any advice on how much better I can do would be much appreciated!
  • kfaulconerkfaulconer Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea what kind of discount you get when you are a member of Volvo Club of America? We have an S40 and XC90, and are thinking about trading in the 40 for a 60. Don't know if the discount is more than you could get through negotiations. Any help is appreciated!
    We are in Lexington, KY. Anyone know if there is a local chapter? Thanks.
  • volvopaul1volvopaul1 Member Posts: 3
    I believe it is an employee discount that you receive when you are a Volvo Club member. There is more information on the website, and they will also let you know about local chapters.
  • cars4funcars4fun Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my new black s60 a few weeks ago as well, and I am LOVING those seats too! I think this car is the best value in a luxury sport sedan, out of all of them. I tested every car in the mix, from Audi to BMW, to MB, Infiniti, and Lexus, and the overall value in the Volvo made it the winner for me. Motor Trend described the seats as amongst the best out there, in "soft, chunky leather". Also love the smooth leather, juxtaposed against the textured leather with double rows of stitching. It's a class act!
    Completely agree with all of that. It feels like it cost many grand more. I tried those other cars, too, and even on paper it's a far better value.
  • pikevolvo12pikevolvo12 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Hello everyone,

Here is some info regarding the 2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design that I leased yesterday.

2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design

-Electric Silver Metallic Paint
    -Multimedia Package
    -Climate Package
    -Blind Spot Info System
    -Personal Car Communicator (key)

MSRP: $48,675
    Invoice: $46,057
    CAP cost: $43,900
    U.S. Bank Credit after CAP cost: $1800
    L.E.V.: 49% ($23,850.75)

Special lease offer through US Bank that pays $450 a month as a credit for the first four months so the cost averages out to $600 a month including tax. And, the dealer is tinting the windows and they threw in all weather mats.

The car is so beautiful and fast! I think it was an awesome deal for an almost $50k car. What do you guys think? Good deal?
  • pikevolvo12pikevolvo12 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention it is a 3 year / 45,000 mile lease.
    Didn't see an S60 forum that this fits in so feel free to move it if required:

2012 S60 T5 with 1500 miles driven: First "long" highway trip notes - seats continue to be GREAT, very comfortable during a 500 mile highway trip with only a couple of pit stops along the way. Car handles well in dry and wet conditions. 29.8 mpg (hand calculated - computer showed 31.2) while cruising at 70-75 mph with 4 passengers and bags. MPG seems to drop off a little while cruising at 75+ vs 65-70
    ....and it's nice to be in a car that is a bit unique; there are not millions of these on the road, like the endless 3 series I see. The S60 gets so many "looks" and compliments from people on the street, it's amazing. MPG so far has been ok, not great, but thrilled to be using regular gas after putting the expensive stuff in my Lexus for the last dozen years. The handling is great, the turbo is fun, and the sporty styling belies its practicality and safety. Loving this new car!
    Hi cars,
    I'm taking delivery of an S60 T5 next month. The fact I don't see many here in Western PA was a factor in my decision. Seems like every other car I see is a 3 series or an ES 350 (both great cars). Do you have a T5? What MPH are you getting? Thanks!
    You mean what MPG I'm getting! (MPH is quite high, I must admit.....the turbo asks to be driven fast!!!) I basically do a lot of city driving with a bit of highway mixed in.... so far, after abouy 1500 miles, it's about 23 miles per gallon, on regular (YAY!!). Am taking a good road trip next month and I'm waiting to see how much better it will do on pure highways. THere is an 'information' thing that you can scroll through on the steering wheel, which posts various pieces of info on the dash....one of the items is "how many miles to empty". every time I fill up, it says 500. but that never happens, and this gauge is annoyingly inaccurate enough that I've turned it off.

I was a Lexus devotee for 12 years, and really wanted to buy another one, but found that the w ES was going to be an even more expensive "camry".... and to load it up with all the bells and whistles puts it almost at 50k, which is crazy. The new ES comes out in the fall and I'm sure it will be even more expensive.

The new 3 series is very nice, I drove it a few times, but I live in an area where FWD is good to have, and did not want to pay the premium for AWD and the associated drop in MPG.

The other car that seemed to be a really good value was the Nissan Maxima. but that car is in a funny middle ground, as a premium-ish car, in a non premium brand. I always preferred it's styling to that of the infiniti, which seems very dated at this point.

I'm hoping that the Volvo will prove to be a great value for a sporty, fast, safe and fun car. Hope you enjoy your new S60 too!