Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra Prices Paid & Buying Experiences

Comments

• crowhillcrowhill Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

After a test drive and some haggling this is what I'm looking at:

05 Granite S 4X4

Power, Utility, Protection
    Molding, Splash Guards
    Floormats, Mirror, Cabin Micro
    Retract. Cargo

Final price from dealer: 22,290 + TTL
    That includes the rebate

Any thoughts? (It'd be so great if I got feedback tonight, I'm wheeling and dealing again tomorrow :) )
  • jagfinjagfin Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2005 Xterra "S" on the 18th at Planet Nissan in Las Vegas. MSRP with dealer add ons was $23,785. Dealer invoice was $22,273. With $2000 rebate got the Xterra for $20,273 + TTL. Granite color, with the power package, Moulding, Splash Guards, Floormats, Mirror, Cabin Micro Filter, etc. Dealer has quite a few S and SE on the lot. Great, no-hassle dealer! :)
  • jengjeng Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I was quoted via email $22,860 for the following:
    2005 S 4x4
    Automatic
    bdysd moldings
    retractable cargo cover
    floor mats
    protection pkg
    splash guards
    in-cabin micro filter
    MSRP: $26,650

The $22k price quote includes the $2,000 rebate being offered right now.

Does this sound like a good price? Do you think there will be some neg. room since this $ was given to me by email....I haven't visited this dealership yet. Also, I want to look into leasing this vehicle just to see the difference in the monthly payments. In the case of a lease, is it correct to assume that the lease would be based upon the $22k price or does that price need to be re-negotiated?

Thank you in advance for your response. Also, please bear with me...this is my first time posting here.

Thanks!
    I forgot to mention, the price I was quoted for my last post was for an automatic..

Jagfin, was that for a stick or automatic?

Thanks all!
    Crowhill,

It was for an automatic.
    Thanks Jagfin.. I'm assuming also that this is for 2 wheel, not 4X4? Looks like you did OK, I need to get back to the drawing board! :)
    Hi Crowhill.

It was a 2 wheel and not a 4 x 4. Hope you find a deal for your Xterra.
  • xtierraxtierra Member Posts: 55
    I think 22k sounds like a good price. I purchased my 2005 s 2x4 for 21k plus t.t.l. and WISH i purchased a 4x4, I got stuck in the mud in mexico and was lucky to have a bulldozer pull me out. I went exploring through mexico and trully enjoyed the xterra. I am back in florida and have logged 11,000 miles. No complaints except my mistake of listening to a friend mechanic tell me that i did not need 4x4. I got a great deal on the extended nissan factory warranty from malboro nissan for 899.00 and they also the 4x4 for 1075.00 until the end of November.
    I searched through consumerreports and ordered the detail pricing guide that gave me the number to work with regarding how much to pay. Now i am trying to figure out how to change my xterra for a 4x4 model without loosing a lot of money in the process.
  • mentemente Member Posts: 11
    Thanks all for the info. 2 questions for anyone who has input:
    1. those getting fairly discounted extended warrenties, do you happen to know what level of protection you are getting for that price? I know Nissan offers bronze through gold packages, and have been told the discounts usually don't cover as much as one would like (personally I would go with the absolute most coverage if I were spending anything on a warrenty).

2. What kind of financing are people getting. I am new to car buying and have seen much better deals in the past. I realize the current economy/interest rates etc play a big role in this, but with someone with reasonable credit, what would I be expecting to pay?

thanks for humoring my perhaps naive questions
    -mente
  • trojan2000trojan2000 Member Posts: 6
    I'm starting to receive first round quotes for the 2005 SE 4x2 right now that are all coming in at about $100-$200 below invoice, not including the $2k rebate. So for an MSRP of around $26,400 they are verballing around $24,400. Is this right or are the dealerships trying to keep their margins up due to the higher mfg rebate? From reading this forum, I would have thought that for a 2005, one could be around $1,500 or more below invoice, again without the rebate. Does anyone have feedback if this is too aggressive a price point to target? California market if it helps.

thanks
  • tampatampa Member Posts: 12
    trojan,
    congrats on your patience for you shall be rewarded. Sounds like we bought the same car.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I just bought an SE 4X2 with 15 miles.
    MSRP is $26,630. Follow the numbers: my cost $22.1, dealer add ons $650, tax title transfer $1500, REBATE $1500. Walk out price $22.7k in Winter Haven, FL.

.. ..tampa
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    you should get at least this deal minus -$500. for the now $2000. rebate.

I have 1500 miles and am glad I decided on the SE for the 17" tires and mp3 stereo. I would love to have the 2006 driver's seat. I heard they now have elbow rests. I don't know how to add them but what a gargantuan oversight.
    PRO's: strong engine, stereo and rugged good looks.
    CON's: stiff ride and NO ELBOW RESTS.

good choice, tampa
    Thanks Tampa for continuing to follow this board and provide insight. That's what I thought that you got at least $1 to $1.5k below invoice plus the Rebate. The most recent purchases or quotes on the board seem to be getting about invoice and then minus the Rebate. So in my mind, those are not good deals since the Rebate comes from the manufacture and the dealerships are trying to hold to around invoice pricing. Maybe the West Coast market is different or maybe my color preference is scarecly available so they are quoting me high. At this point, I would be happy to get out the door at $23,500k. I know that is more than you but I think the taxes and fees maybe higher here as well.

Thanks again Tampa and if anyone else has feedback, I would appreciate it.
    Tampa-
    I am actually moving to your area in FL and would be interested in the dealer that you purchased from. Sounds like this is a pretty unique deal, as no other dealers will even talk to me about a price near what you got. feel free to email me the details, or if you could offer the dealership name, etc... with who might be most helpful, that would be great. Thanks again
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Dealership names, city and state... can all be posted here for everyone's benefit..

Please do not provide individual salesperson information under any circumstances..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Ok, since I got a lot of information from this forum, it is my turn to share.

Southern California Market
    Granite SE 4x2
    MSRP ~26,550
    Invoice ~24,700
    Negotiated to ~23,700 + TTL
    Finally $2,000 Rebate

This is no where near the deal Tampa got, but I did my fair share of talking with dealers and in this market out here, I truly do not believe it is possible. Most quotes I got were about $300 under invoice. Some were over invoice and I just ignored those. Pretty much the salesman feel they are hitting their limits at $500-$600 under invoice. I said thanks but I'll try somewhere else and at that time they transferred me to the fleet department. It was end of the month and didn't take much to get him to $1000 below. When I started talking with the various people, I mentioned the deals back East where they were getting over $1500 to $2000 below invoice before the rebate. They were adamant that couldn't happen and I believe them. Now after the deal was closed, the fleet guy did say they only way he thought a deal that low could occur is if a dealership mis-managed their inventory and had a unit on the lot for over 200 or 250 days. He said then the insurance on the car jumps to a very high bracket and it becomes exceedingly expensive to keep the unit on the lot. In that case, he said dealerships would place a special ad in the paper and it would be a "loss-leader". He says those deals come around rarely, only one unit, you have to hope it is the model/color/accessory you want, etc., and snap it up before someone else does. He further clarified that in Southern California, that would be hard to find since we have a dense younger population geared towards the Xterra, so dealerships are able to turn their inventory well enough to avoid the 200+ days on the lot scenario.

Bottom line, if anyone is paying around invoice it is too much. Go in prepared and disregard their offers. It shouldn't be too difficult to get $1000 under without including the rebate. Now could you squeeze a few hundred more???? Maybe, but I think the effort becomes too much compared to the amount gained. Getting another $500 off would be worth the battle but I didn't think I could get it and $100 more really wasn't worth making the deal confrontational.

After 2 days with this vehicle, I'm all smiles. Christmas came early and I'm totally pleased!
  • uscbaltouscbalto Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, thanks for all the great info in this forum. It definitely helped when getting my Xterra. I had a similar experience as Trojan2000 (obviously a fellow SC guy! Go Trojans!) in the Southern California market. I actually think I got a pretty decent deal in the end. I shopped around for a specific color 05 SE 4x4. I solicited tons of dealers and finally ended up getting it last night. Here are the numbers. I got a 2005 SE 4x4 with tow package, side air bags, splash, mats. I didn't get Sirius but I think I can get that installed for cheaper than they wanted. Anyway MSRP was 29,500. I got them to 23,800 before TTL. I got another $1800 for my trade. Total out the door was $24400. That is about 1300 under invoice.

I have to say that by far this place was the best dealership I dealt with the entire time. Every person I worked with on down the line was stellar. Friendly, personable but yet still businesslike. And I think I got a good deal too. Anyway, thanks to all for the info on here.
  • chonochono Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy an '06 offroad 4wd with specific color and options. Doubt I'll find what I'm looking for on the lots so early in the model year. My question for all is how close to invoice do you think I can get on a vehicle that will have to be ordered? I'm in Houston, Texas.

Thanks
  • erickriverickriv Member Posts: 4
    Hi Crowhill, did you make the purchase yet? I went to my first dealership today and test drove both an Xterra and Pathfinder. The PF had a smoother ride, but the Xterra felt roughedly good. They gave me a quote of $21,900 for a 4X4 S, with the Power, Protection, Utility, and the Supplemental Airbag packages. Seems like a reasonable deal after reading some of the other threads. I'm in Long Island, New York (Nassau county). If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
  • jfmfdnyjfmfdny Member Posts: 1
    Hey Erickriv. I'm also shopping around for a 2005 Xterra. The best deal I've gotten was roughly $3500 under invoice including the $2000 rebate of course. Took many phone calls back and forth. The color isn't my favorite but thats no biggie. Play hard to get= maybe they'll come down. Let me know how it goes.
  • robins5robins5 Member Posts: 4
    DEALER NAMES PLEASE! I will look up dealers by city and state and e-mail them unless you or someone will give the name which I could then look up on Nissanusa for their e-mail address, map and such.
    They only had one left on the lot. I'm still deciding and won't know until tomorrow. If I don't want it, I'll freely provide you with the Dealership name then.
    My credit union has a free price negotiating service that I was going to use. I was only supposed to find the Xterra I liked and let them do the haggling. When I called him this morning with the price quote they gave me, he told me to go for it. The sticker was $27,020. He told me that he's been negotiating prices around $24K to $23K across the country. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    What is the name of the dealer?
    I'd say $1000 under. Try it or better yet, try $1500 and negociate up to 1000.
    robins5 - Its been a few years since I've done this. I'm in talks with 3 different dealerships and as far as price is concerned they are all $100 - $200 over invoice. In the old days true invoice info was hard to come by and you had to pay for it. Now sites like Edmunds, KBB etc have this information out in the open for the world to see. This leads me to believe that dealerships must have arrangements with Nissan to protect their profit margins. How else could you sell at cost/invoice or below and stay in business? Sort of leads me to believe that invoice information these days means very little OR the dealerships are making up the slack on discounted sales by "sticking it" to the totally uninformed consumer. If you're right on the $1000.00 under invoice then I've got a long ways to go in negotiations !

Thanks
    I purchased an "05 4X4, Automatic w/Power, utility, rubber mats(the dealer said there is no such thing as a protection package for any Xterra).
    MSRP $26450
    Invoice $24946
    Price agreed $23800 plus TTL
    less 2000 = $23548 Final Price paid

Libertyville, Il
    Liberty Auto Plaza
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Robins5,

Your dealer lied about the protection package. I just bought an 05 SE 4X4 two weeks ago for $23,500 and the window sticker lists the protection package, along with splash guards, retractable cargo cover and body side molding as options.

Mike
  • utexasutexas Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

I'm fixing to buy a 06 Xterra S (with U package). I was just wondering if you think I would get the best deal buying before or after Christmas? Or is that not much of a difference? I was going to start my neg. at 21k and see which dealer gives me the best OTD price

utexas
  • fcarl1fcarl1 Member Posts: 2
    chono,
    I'm in Houston, TX too....looking for '06 SE 4X4. Had one offer - 27k + TTL , but still looking.
    Thanks
    Hello fcarl1 - I've dealt with Mossy, Champion and Sterling McCall so far. Of the three, Sterling McCall appears to be best. I'm going to have to order my vehicle which I think limits my ability to deal. Sterling McCall has made a preliminary offer @ invoice. There are no incentives and rebates on the 06's but I imagine there must be a sizable holdback. I'm looking to hit $500 below invoice but doubt I'll get it considering the vehicle I want is not on the lot, must be ordered and is an 2006.

Guess we'll see. FWIW I've purchased 2 vehicles from Mossy Nissan before. They are tough as nails on the deals. Champion seems like a bunch of newbies who couldn't get arrested (or much else) on a Saturday night. Sterling McCall seems to be upfront and no B.S., however we don't have a deal yet.

Good Luck to you!
  • ksx05ksx05 Member Posts: 2
    Mike,

Is ur 05 SE 4x4 automatic? Also is $23500 OTD or before TTL? Thanks.

Kevin
    i would recomend you purchase the new car buying kit from consumer reports, it gives you the actual cost that the dealer pays the manufacturer for the xterra. I am in florida and was quoted last week 22,600 for the 2005 s 4x4 automatic. that was with the 2,000 cash back. I also would check with escondido nissan in san diego through the internet department.......they are pretty fair with the pricing. The best tip is- dont pay attention to the sticker the dealership has on the window, you want to focus on the actual cost for the dealer to purchase the xterra from the manufacturer. 25,647 should be your starting amount to negotiate.........this includes the 500.00 destination charge.. minus the 2,000 cash so i would push 23,700 plus ttl. check trought the internet for malboro nissan back east and see if they still have the extended factory warranty deals. i purchased my 2005 s 4x2 for 21,000 plus ttl october 7th and declined the 1300.00 extended warranty.......and found it at the other dealership for 890.00 wich i bought without second thought. good luck... i am very happy with my xterra, I went on my tour de usa / mexico and have 12,000 miles without a problem.
  • rookeirookei Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up

2005 Xterra S 4X4
    Utility Package
    Power Package
    Splash Guards
    Side Molding
    Protection Package
    Floor Mats
    MIcroFilter
    Auto Dimmin Mirrors w/ Compass

MSRP $25,770
    -$2000 rebate
    paid $21,120

I'm still breaking it in...cant wait to see what happens when i give her some gas.
  • ksx05ksx05 Member Posts: 2
    is it automatic? looks like a very decent deal. congrats.
  • bcolebcole Member Posts: 7
    I just want to gather some realistic figures with me to come up with a reasonable price point to negotiate for the 05 S 4x4 auto. I have seen someone posted here getting $1500-2000 below invoice before $2k rebate. When I mentioned that to several local dealers they laughed and said that's unheard of. I just wanted to make sure it's indeed too unrealistic. Thanks.
    I think its based on wich state your in, someone paid 21,120. I am in orlano,florida and was quoted 22,600 after 2k rebate for 2005 s 4x4 auto. 22,600 is right on the money with consumer reports bottom line price. good luck.
  • nxtnxt Member Posts: 5
    I have quotes for 05 OFF 4x4 ranging from 25500 to 26000 OTD price .

Is this a good deal ? I live in NJ .

I want to buy this weekend . Please help me make a decission.
    looking at the consumer reports botton line price it state
    off-road 4x4 24,181 and off road AT 25,098 my figures where as of 12/5/2005 pre-2,000cash back ...so i am not sure if you could take 2,000 of those prices ...you should be able to with all the prices everyone has paid recently. good luck
    you might want to get a visual, go to www.moosynissan.com and check their new xterra list.....lots of inventory plus pricing on the same list. even though its from a dealership on the other side of the continent, the dealership you go to will not know it and simply have that list with you so that you dont over pay. That specific model is hard to find.
    I was quoted $21500 after 2k rebate for 2005 S 4x4 stick. And $25500 after 2k rebate for 2005 SE 4x4 auto. Are these good prices?
    i would stay away from the s 4x4 stick............. that 25,500 if ist out the door jump on it.............the consumer reports bottom line for the 2005 se 4x4 is 23,647 wich is 1853.00 difference... that is the profit margin they are trying to get. i see some 2005 se 4x4 going around 24,895+ttl,its easy to negotiate when you have a price list of current inventory available. go to mossynissan.com and get their xterra inventory list and highlight all the se 4x4's that way you can take that list along with your other info........and have a buddy call you on your cell phone to distract you and that might help. re-check what everyone else paid here, but remember december is the 2,000 cash back that most of us did not qualify since we purchased prior to december. good luck
    S 4x4 Utility + Power Package + 6 year 72K = 24,643 OTD

24,643 OTD price for S 4x4 .

Good Deal ?
    I finally closed my deal with a decent price.

S 4x4 Automatic
    Power package
    Utility package
    Splash guard
    Body side molding
    Retractable cargo cover
    Protection package
    Floor mats
    In-cabin microfilter
    Auto dimmer mirror and compass
    Nevada Tow package

MSRP $27090
    Invoice $25272
    -2k rebate
    OTD $22500 (incl. doc fee and dest.) + TTL
    And they throw in free life time oil change

I think this is not bad deal. What do you guys think?
    Hi , Which Dealership is it ? Am looking for the exact Specs and I almost paid 24671 (with 6year 72000 waranty) but backed out .

Please let me know the Dealership name .
    Mccarthy Nissan in Olathe, Kansas(suburb of Kansas City).
    I went in with the lowest quote I got after calling around town and told them to beat it or I will stand up and leave. Another local dealer has a similar quote with 10 years powertrain warranty included. So they beat it by 200 bucks and threw in free lifetime oil change instead. And the deal was closed in 30 minutes.(learned from carbuyingtips.com to only negotiate under 30 minutes) I chose to go to them first because they are the closest Nissan to my location and I know any dealer can beat or at least match any local offer. Besides, they told me they still have 37 05 models on their lot so I know the chance of finding one in a color that I like will be higher. And without having to locate one for me, I should be able to get them to give me a better deal.
    Hope that helps. Let me know how yours goes.
    When you said 24671, is that after TTL? My price is before TTL, but including doc fee(299) and destination fee only. And of course that's including the 2k rebate. And they told me they have to collect tax on the rebate as well. After tax it is right around 24400 before title and registration.
    Hi ,

Thanks for replying .

24,671 is the Drive away price . Everything included in it . Base price was 22,000.

Do you think it was a good deal for an S ?
    Then that's cheaper than the price I got then. My price is 22500 BEFORE TTL, after tax comes to about 24400. And I have to pay registration too. So I think yours maybe even a better deal. Mine came to about 700 below invoice, and I negotiated to have them include 299 doc fee. And free lifetime oil change.
    Picked mine up last week; here are the stats:

2005 4x4 S auto
    -pwr pkg
    -util pkg
    -body side moldings
    -splash guards
    -microfilter
    -Nevada tow pkg
    -auto dim mirror
    -cargo cover
    -carpet floor mats
    -wheel locks

MSRB: $26920
    Invoice: $25167
    bought at: $24257
    Rebate: $2000
    OTD: 24121

Hope this helps
  • nospamnospam Member Posts: 54
    I finally found a night armor 05 and want some advice on what to offer before someone else buys it. Thanks a lot.

BODY SIDE MOLDING
    IN-CABIN MICROFIL
    PWR POWER PACKAGE
    SPLASH GUARDS
    UTILITY PACKAGE
    Freight Charge $580

invoice = $24,492
    Instant Rebate = $2000