Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - X

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a corrected continuation of Topic
2143 (and later 2268)....

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - IX. Please
continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    kinda confusing.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    How come Explorers equipped with goodyears haven't had any problems? about 10% of explorers have goodyear tires as OEM. so why haven't they had any tread separations? C'mon spoog, you must have the answer. tell me why.

Gee, toyota owners in denial that the problem could be with firestone so instead assume it's all ford's fault.... go figure.
    Same question...so why haven't any other SUV's rolled over with the Firestones and killed people?

Gee, ford owners in denial that the problem could be with ford so instead assume it's all firestone's fault....go figure.

Hmmm..is there an echo in here?
    what other SUV's have the firestone wilderness and ATX tires involved in the recall?
    answer: Ford Ranger light trucks, Ford F150 light trucks, Mercury Mountaineers, Mazda Navajo, and Mazda B series light trucks. Your point being?
    hmmm.. Mountaineers are the same as thing as explorers, (as is the navajo which they stopped producing about 8 years ago).
    As I recall from rereading the last few posts, we were talking about SUV's, not pickups. but ok, we'll address that too. The rangers (again, same thing as the mazda B series) do use the wilderness AT's on many of their trucks. -but they generally use a different size that are NOT made in the decatur IL plant. as for the F150, I'm not sure I've ever seen wilderness AT's on one, but if you say so I'll believe you. -but they too would be a much different size than the tires involved in the recall.

So, I guess you did answer my question. there aren't any other SUV's with these firestone tires.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Look people:

INNOCENT families have been KILLED thanks to crappy quality control. It is the fAULT of FORD AND Firestone.

THESE deaths are NOT occuring on other vehicles with these tires.

How you can EVEN SIT THERE and defend a company that so BLATANTLY cut corners SICKENS me.

Some of you are so blind and company loyal you will deny the very fact that Ford is at least responsible along with Firestone for the deaths of around 100 people.

Absolutely disgusting.
    you know spoog, trying to argue with you is like talking to a wall. you don't pay attention, you obviously haven't read my previous posts, and you throw around hyperbole like a politician.

here's a recap for you: Never have I said that ford is not to blame for this tire fiasco. I have repeatedly said in previous posts that I think that ford is very likely at fault for not acting sooner, and/or covering up this problem. if this is the case, then I hope they get punished big time by the justice dept. too many innocent lives have been lost because of this problem. my only argument is that the explorer is NOT the cause of the problem, the tire is.
    personally, I have no brand loyalty spoog. and it's pretty funny that you of all people would accuse someone else of this. in fact, it's your brand loyalty that sickens me and most others in these forums.
  • thehitcherthehitcher Member Posts: 56
    My neighbor has an older Ford Explorer with the Firestone tires that are defective. You can clearly see the the separation at the tread along the side wall of one tire.
    Add in the Ford conversion van to the list. My 92 Mark III van right front tire peeled away and blew out on the highway nearly killing me and wiping out the car next to me 4 years ago.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Except to say I find it very interesting, this overwhelming urge other owners seem to feel to viciously attack Ford and the Ranger, as in 4 cyl. S10 vs. Ranger, Tacoma vs. Ranger, Dodge vs. Ford, Frontier vs Ranger. It must mean something if noone feels their truck is vindicated until they compare it to a Ford.
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    soundS like a comment to me. JK
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    i do have a comment
    Dealing with the facts. The recall list is found:

http://mirror.bridgestone-firestone.com/news/atx/newsmain_ATX.html

so that places all the pickups with firestones on the recall list. Mountaineer, so have any rolled? Are they exactly the same as the explorer? Or do the Mountaineer owners keep their tires at 30 psi? Then again, it could be that they just didn't sell enough of them....

I wouldn't discount that no other SUV's are on the final list. NHTSA is asking for another 1.4 million tires to be added to the recall. We will just have to wait and see when the dust settles. My only point as even the hitcher verifies, the two common denominators in the roll overs is Ford and Firestone....can't see how ford could be innocent on this one.
  • barlitz2barlitz2 Member Posts: 5
    I read that there are more than just the firestone tires to blame,Firestone also has a few other names they manufacture for,I think continantal,cooper maybe.Bought a new computer couldn't remember my old password so I've got a new screenname.Any ranger owners know when the new Ranger will be availible.
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    10,133 people died in rollover accidents last year according to the NHTSA. Obviously their are a lot of reasons and various vehicles involved. Not to defend Ford or Firestone but that should be kept in mind when discussing this issue. Perhaps they are some other trends out there that should be considered.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    The '01 Rangers are just starting to trickle into showrooms now. I saw one on a truck on its way to a dealership. It was a black Edge trim. It was very nice looking. I'm looking forward to test driving one of the new ones with the SOHC 4L. Are they equipping the new (relatively speaking) 4L with a 5-speed manual tranny yet?
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    "...front tire peeled away and blew
    out on the highway..."

Firestone Wilderness AT or AX right?
    Or was it something else?

BTW, just turned over 34,000 miles on original brakes on my Ranger. No problems, so there is not, in my mind, ANY issue regarding brakes wearing out early on the Ranger, as I recall you recently stated.

Eagle...
    No, spoog makes me laugh, in the knowledge of his lack of....hmmm whats the right word...

street smarts.

And I REALLY enjoy his lack of answers to very OBVIOUS mistakes on his part, false information (as we see now in the tire issue) and also as you just saw, PASSION regarding a certain brand, yet RIPPING (incorrectly) Ford owners for the same thing.
    Meet spoog, the resident, well you fill in the blanks. . .
    Houston to Denver.

No real problems. It was a U Haul 5X8 with a 6X4X3 solid ceder wardrobe, 5X4X3 dresser, and my moms hope chest, a twin bed and some other filler odds and ends (a 100+ year old two man saw).
    The trailer was 900lb, wardrobe maybe 225lb, dresser maybe 125lb, the chest maybe 100lb and the bed and other stuff maybe 150lb for maybe 1500lb. MPG was down around 12 most of the trip but went up to 15.5 on the last leg from Clayton, NM into Denver. Go figure.

Had to clean my KKM air filter in Amarillo, to get that gas mpg up a bit. Notice a power increase too.
    followup to #18. . .

Just wonder why wilderness AT's would be on a van. . .
    I agree with you that we will have to wait and see what comes about once the dust settles. this thing ain't over yet! It's just that I get frustrated when I hear people taking cheap shots at the explorer. being the number 1 selling vehicle in your class is like winning the super bowl. -everyone wants to see you lose next season. and the explorer is taking a lot of heat in this fiasco and I think it's undeserved. remember, the tires are what are being recalled, not the vehicle. you asked the question, .."how come these tire failures haven't happened to other SUV's..." -my answer was that there aren't any other suv's that have these tires. and yes, the mountaineer is EXACTLY the same as the explorer, (just a different grill, and a standard leather interior, etc) and as I've said a hundred times, if the explorer is at fault, then how come the ones with goodyears don't have any problems? BTW, goodyear recommends 26psi also.
    ford is likely guilty for the way they mishandled this situation, I agree. I'm just sticking for Ford's product, not their protocol. -eagle
    I meant sticking up for ford's product.
    HEre are the facts:

Over 100 people killed SPECIFICALLY in Ford Explorer's and firestone tires. Hmmm.......

Quit dodging the facts.
    who's dodging the facts?
    "who's dodging the facts?"

Usually spoog when the facts do not match his biased perception. . .
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    I didn't see any real "ranger vs. tacoma" discussion in the past 26 posts.

Am I blind? Can I not read? Or is the title of this topic wrong?

Of course, silly me, thinking there would actually be some "spirited debate" on 2 good trucks when we can debate TIRES!!!!!!

Yes, its tragic what's happened! Yes, Firestone should be liable. If Ford withheld information, they should as well. Simple as that.

keith24
    finally someone who is speaking sense around here! you're right keith, the tacoma and ranger are both solid trucks. do you know what's included on the new off-road package for the '01 rangers?
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    No, I don't. It probably won't be much different than it is in its current form. Skid plates, 4.10 gears, 16" tires/wheels, etc., etc. But we can dream . . . . . . .

4.6l v-8, 5-speed manual, ext. cab, 31" tires, blah, blah, blah: I could go on!

The new Ranger, however, does look sporty! I've seen a couple of pics; its got a brawnier appearance, kinda like an F150 thats been in the sauna a little too long!

keith24
  • barlitz2barlitz2 Member Posts: 5
    I know this is a touchy subject because of death's.But in post 16 over 10,000 people died in rollovers last year and 100 in the explorers,How many do you think might have had an unfortunate accident in a Toyota.We won't even get into side impact crashes and deaths.
    Do you think I am talking about Goodyear? LOL The tire was a 235/75RX15XL if you are interested. Hey want the vin no. also? LOL Get real and stop trying to defend a company.
    So whose to blame?
  • mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    If you guys are interested I posted an article about the 2001 Ranger. The article is from the Nov. issue of Truckin' in it they discuss the Edge, Tremor and the new XLT. If you want to see it go to the Ranger v. Frontier III topic and follow the instructions to the site. It's really simple to do(just hit the download button when you get there to open the file).

eharri3,
    In response to your comment (post #11) I think your boy Vince is the author of all those Ranger vs. ? sites. So it is probably his insecurities showing through...even though I constantly tell him that the Ranger is a good truck he's got nothing to be ashamed about. Except his stupidity. LOL
    You did not STATE what tire it was, just a not so vailed jab a Ford.
    I would find it hard to believe you had Wilderness AT's on a van, since that is an off-road type tire.
    Not defending them at all, have been very caustic in my comments on Firestone, don't like the tires they produce, have had bad luck with the FR 460's on my Caravan.
    Just sugesting that because you had a blowout, would not jump out there and blame Ford. Could have been faulty owner maintenance on your part, running with a bad tire OR just a simple sharp object in the road that you did not see. . .
    Disagree with you.

I had a post on the Ranger and my experience with brake life and trailer towing. No examples from Tacoma as I did not see any towing anything recently. And in regard to brakes, someone has posted that Ford brakes wear out under 30,000 miles and Tacomas never wear out. That is not correct in both cases.
    did some mudding while in Texas. There is a little spot off I45 near milepost 70A, about 4-5 miles north and east of the new WalMart in Spring, for those that know the area. Down by the railroad tracks.
    Had some fun with a couple of Jeeps and an F-150. Did not get stuck once an had mud up to mid wheel. A guy that works at the Whataburger there told me about it. My Ranger was the first Ranger he had ever seen with a front receiver hitch so we talked a bit about what it was used for, winch mounting.
    Nice Texas hospitality.
    Cpousnr's Quote
    "I would find it hard to believe you had Wilderness AT's on a van, since that is an off-road type tire."

The tire is used on SUV's and light trucks. You do know that the Econoline 150 is a light truck? I did have the blackwall side on the outside for your information.

Blowout? Say the word SEPARATION . . .

Did I say in any of my post that it was from lack of maintenance or hitting a sharp object? Duh....
    NO . . .
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Not me! I didn't start all the RAnger vs rooms.. Keep on blaming me for everything mah, pretty soon you guys will be blaming me for the tire issue! LOL...
    A large dealership in my area has a blue 01 4x4 Supercab Ranger up on a rack in the front of the dealership. The color is blue and the interior looks grey. The only one I saw however. I couldn't see anymore on his lot, he may have had some in the back lot though. Looks good, nice aggressive look to it. However, it did have small Firestone tires!! Damn, I wish they would drop those cheap 4ply tires for their 4x4 vehicles..
    My appologies....I just guessed, because when I started on the Sport Trac vs. Crew cab I thought that your post was the first one.

In that article I posted on the 2001 Ranger(Truckin' mag) I saw those Damn Firestones on 4 of the 5 pictures of the new truck. They were on all of the available models except the XLT where they had the BFGoodrich's. I would bet that the pictures were taken and at the magazine before the whole issue went public.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    First one I've come across. Nice looking truck! Much nicer looking than the '01 Tacoma. This one was an XLT. Still easy to recognise the truck as a Ranger, as there are no changes to the cab (or bed?). The new front end looks great though.

I didn't care for the "added-on" look of the grey fender flares with the metallic red paint. They looked dated and didn't match the "bed rail protectors(?)" which are a lighter shade of grey. I now want to see an "Edge" with the painted flares as a comparison.

This truck also had the Firestone tires. I hope the owner got a substantial reduction in price for those so he/she can soon buy some good tires.
  • chipshot1chipshot1 Member Posts: 15
    Do the 2001 Ranger's look anything like the newer Explorers. I hope not, in my opinion they are starting to look like the Nissans, plasticy, gimmicky, and disposable.

I got my ARE bed topper the other week and it looks great. Finally have somewhere to lock up golf clubs, camping equipment, etc. I have recieved many many complements and the paint match is perfect as well as everything else. Maybe some pics in the future if I could only get around the firewall that prevents outsiders from accessing my development web server here at work.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting that link to the 2001 Ranger site. I finally got to see what a 2001 2wd XLT looks like - and now I really want one! I wonder if the under-bumper facia could be added from the 4wd or EDGE, to get some foglights on the truck. Looks good though!
  • chipshot1chipshot1 Member Posts: 15
    Finally took a look at it and glad to see it is not going the way of the Explorer. Is it only the two door Explorer's that look so toy like? Looks nice.
    If any of you(Ranger Owners) want to post pics of your trucks go to the Frontier vs. Ranger topic and scroll back to one of my previous posts. I set up a site to download stuff like that for all of us.

You're welcome dmould, did you see the Edge? It doesn't look as "deluxe" as I thought it might have. I guess it's aimed at "rally" offroaders...with all the bright colors offered. I think I like the XLT best.

rickc5,
    I am with you, I really don't care for the grey flares on any of the trucks(one of the reasons my Frontier is an SE). But I will say this, I see that with an offroad truck or at least one that does goes offroad it makes more sense to have them. In fact, take the front bumper on all the current 4x4 Fords(any model) their bumper facia is grey plastic makes perfect sense on a 4x4 since you'll be hitting twiggs, steep dirt mounds and so forth will offroading. But lets take the Taco(TRD) or even my SE both with PAINTED facias! It's kind of funny right? that these two companies can think of stuff like shock mounts(located high for clearence), 'tuned' offroad suspensions and std. skid plates. But they have painted flares and facias :). See there is no perfect truck! They can all be picked apart. But then Ford goes and does the same thing with it's EDGE...I guess this "California" look is just that a look. In the pics I posted it looks like the Edge comes with smaller tires than the XLT. My point to all this? I would rather have the non-painted parts so they don't show the wear, as it is now I have to get out of my truck and move things I would otherwise move if I has bought the XE.
    msnbc.com

Ford loses records of Explorer tests,
    says trials were not on actual SUVs

By Joseph B. White
    THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

DETROIT, Sept. 20 — Ford Motor Co. cannot find original records of key 1989 tests of Firestone tires used on Explorer sport-utility vehicles, company officials said in a news conference Wednesday.

FORD ALSO REVEALED that the tests were conducted using a modified Ford F-150 pickup truck designed to mimic the load distribution and performance of a Ford Explorer, not an actual Explorer. Ford spokesmen Jason Vines and Ken Zino said such testing was common practice.

Ford has submitted an affidavit from a retired engineer that tests of the Firestone tires designed for the Explorer were done in 1989, using tires inflated to 26 pounds per square inch. That’s the pressure Ford recommended for the Explorer. Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. officials have since said they recommended the tires be inflated to 30 psi.

Rep. Billy Tauzin (R., La.) and his aides have questioned the adequacy of Ford’s testing of the Firestone tires used on the Explorer. The Ford spokesmen said data they have submitted shows the auto maker conducted extensive testing.
    Advertisement
    belonging to a secreet frat at Yale. They believed that the secretness of the frat named "Skull and crossbones" had to do with devil worshipping. Bet that affected his popularity.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I agree that unpainted plastic is far more durable than painted plastic.

My '99 white Tacoma TRD had black flares. I thought they looked okay, not great, just okay. THEN I noticed white spots on them that didn't wash off. Upon closer inspection, they were paint chips! Toyota painted white plastic flares black.! DUUUUHH! If the flares needed painting, I sure would have preferred body color instead of easily chipped flat black.
    spoog:
    And your article would have what to do with the Ranger?

obyone:
    Accept the rumors about Bush, you should accept the rumors(most are facts) about the current occupent and his deputy (the scheduled the fumagation team yet for Jan 20th, the WH NEEDS it).

Rickc5:
    You and i still need to get together for some wheeling. I have been a bit busy as of late.
    That doesn't seem to make much sense!!! I agree if they're going to be painted it might as well be the same color as the body. I can remember back in 1990 and 1991 when I worked for a Mitsubishi dealer and they had some of those 4x4 Mighty Max's on the lot and seeing those things with the black flares...I used to think they were som damn ugly. BTW, what happened to all those Mighty Max's I never see any of those? I guess that's just as well...they were nasty and weak IMHO.
    Just tonight, they have SWITCHED the Explorer tire air inflation recommendation to 30, which is what Firestone was saying all along.

So, now we have tires that were never tested on an actual Explorer or Ranger, and now Ford is balking and changing the recommended tire PSI.

Tsk Tsk.
    The Ford Recommended tire pressure on my Ranger for the 235 tires is:
    30 Front, 35 rear.

So, other than struggling to slam Ford, what is you point bringing in Explorer data, maybe incorrect data, into a Ranger/Tacoma room?

PERHAPS, you could answer the questions you have been asked OR TRY to defend the very POOR side impact report in that death trap you call a Tacoma.
This discussion has been closed.