Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Coupe

Comments

• lacrossecxslacrossecxs Member Posts: 12
    I also have an 06 GTP Coupe, but mine is a 6MT. The shifting is clunky, but after only 500 miles I am used to it and it's not something I even think about anymore. I'm looking forward to finding a replacement shifter once more mods come on the market.
    I agree with you about the crappy sound and huge differences based on which component is playing. Since I do not switch between disks and radio all that often, it's an inconvenience more than a problem for me. But I doubt very much that there is an upgraded aftermarket audio system available that will both fit in the dash and integrate with the DIC (Driver Information Center). You should also be aware that most GM remote lock/unlock/remote starter systems key into the radio as well. So you might also lose those OEM functions as well as the DIC if you switch the radio to an aftermarket system. However, you MIGHT be able to find a system from a higher level Pontiac (AKA Bonneville) that would work. You should try speaking with a knowledgeable Tech at the GM ranch. I was thinking of upgrading the speakers and adding a subwoofer myself since I think the speakers are kind of weak. It wont FIX the fact that you have more bass from radio than CD's, but it might make it easier to live with. The subwoofer would help a lot in filling in the bottom when the speakers find the music out of range.

Good luck...and post again if you find out more information.
  • 72chevelle72chevelle Member Posts: 8
    Metra makes a DIC that fits the G6 (model Metra 99-3303). You can then add an aftermarket stereo. You can check out various Pontiac boards for folks' experiences.
  • ajay5ajay5 Member Posts: 10
    Have 1700 miles now. Car is a lot of fun to drive and feels very solid. Engine is smooth and quiet with plenty of power. Sound system is great and I really like having Onstar. 4 wheel discs are a big improvement over disc/drums. Everyone gives the exterior styling a thumbs up. The car looks great! Just took a trip and got over 30 mpg highway. Car is a great package.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    is htis right?
    Too Many Engines

Snapshot
    Available Engines:
    169-hp, 2.4-liter I-4
    217-hp, 3.5-liter V-6
    224-hp, 3.5-liter V-6
    227-hp, 3.9-liter V-6
    240-hp, 3.9-liter V-6
    252-hp, 3.6-liter V-6

Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic w/OD
    4-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
    6-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
    6-speed manual w/OD

This can't beright. Meybe Gm should drop some enignes/engine plants. Too much here for 1 car. Keep it simple. A 4 cyl and the3.6, if your really in trouble give it the 224hp 3.5 in the middle but thats it.

Can't wait to see the 3.6L version.
  • g6gtpg6gtp Member Posts: 2
    do you have a link or and image of that spoiler. i cant seem to find one other than the low factory "lip" spoiler.

thanks
    I don't know what spoiler the other poster installed, but I just installed this one on my '06 coupe...from ebay. GREAT color match, perfect fit, looks incredible on the car, very reasonable price. Took about 2 weeks from payment to delivery. I love mine, it really makes the car look great!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAINTED-2005-2006-Pontiac-G6-Coupe-Custom-Spoiler- -Wing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQitemZ8072888492QQrdZ1
  • g6gtpg6gtp Member Posts: 2
    yeah i saw that. thanks. but the other post said it was a factory install when she bought it i believe. i havnt seen it yet on the lot.
  • hillsg6hillsg6 Member Posts: 10
    It was a pontiac dealership install, but the spoiler is made specifically for the g6. My image hosting isn't working right now, but I'll post a picture or two of it tomorrow so everyone can see. Sorry it took me a while to get back to y'all.
    Actually, I found a different way to post them.

Hope that helps!

I now have almost 1200 miles on it and I still love everything about it! I've had soo many people ask me what it is or stop and BACK UP down my street to look at it! It's a great car.
  • martymartmartymart Member Posts: 23
    It looks like I have the same car, I like the spoiler. I did add limo tint to my rear windows and 22% in the front. It looks really sharp tinted out. It would look great on your car.
    PONTIAC , Mich. – GM Powertrain announced today it will deliver a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection and variable valve timing (VVT) technologies in the 2008 model year. A vehicle application will be announced later in the year.

Additionally, it was forecast that by the end of 2008, GM will produce as many as 200,000 vehicles globally with direct injection technology, and by 2010, GM projects one out of every six GM vehicles in North America will be equipped with a direct injection engine.

The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267; an 8-percent increase in torque, and up to a 3-percent improvement in brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC). An approximate 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions is also achieved.

With direct injection, precisely metered fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber, which has a cooling effect in the chamber. Cooling the incoming air charge enables a higher compression ratio, which also improves engine efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional port injection combustion system.

“The 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection will be our highest specific output non-turbocharged V-6 engine, as well as one of the most fuel-efficient offerings in our high-feature family,” said Tim Cyrus, chief engineer for high feature V-6 and Northstar V-8 engines. “It’s the latest example of our strategy to continue to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy without sacrificing performance.”

This is GM’s third engine with gasoline direct injection. The announcement of the 3.6L VVT V-6 with direct injection comes on the heels of the introduction of GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter four-cylinder Turbo engine with direct injection on the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP roadsters. Also, since 2004, a naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter direct injection engine is equipped on Opel models in Europe.

How direct injection works

Direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional engine by delivering fuel directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. The combustion process of conventional fuel injected engines uses air and fuel that partially evaporates in the intake port or intake manifold prior to being introduced into the combustion chamber. Direct injection is a continuation of the evolutionary process of moving the fuel introduction point closer to the cylinder to improve control.

With the 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug.

The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports. The intake ports only transfer air, unlike port fuel injection, which flows air and fuel, thus increasing efficiency. D irect injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – greater than 11.0:1 in the case of the 3.6 – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

3.6-liter VVT DI

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

-Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
    -Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
    -High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
    -Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
    -Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
    -Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
    -11.3:1 compression ratio
    -Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
    -Polymer coated piston skirts
    -Forged steel crankshaft
    -Sinter-forged connecting rods
    -Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
    -Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
    -Coil-on-plug ignition
    -Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
    -Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
    -Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
    -Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
    -Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
    -Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality
    -Four-cam phasing

The 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response and driveability. When combined, direct injection and cam phasing technologies enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak temperatures, which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NO x) emissions. In tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on by direct injection, th
  • gilley1gilley1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with power steering on their G6 coupe?
    I just had the motor replaced on 6/13/06 then today it showed an power steering error again today, less than 24 hrs. later.
    Taking it back to shop Sat. to see what is wrong with it now.
    If anyone has had this problem or has heard of this problem please let me know.
    Thanks! Yeah it looks pretty sharp with the spoiler, I think. I go to school in Miami so I'll be looking to tint my windows at some point this summer, it's basically a necessity there. Anyone have any recommendations on where to get it done or what to look for when choosing a place so I don't end up with that tacky bubbling tint problem? Thanks!
    There were power steering problems on the 05's if you bave a v6 or GT, but the GTP has conventional steering and i think they either fixed the steering problem or just about totally resolved it for the 06 and 07 model years.
  • gilley1gilley1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, it is an 06 with electric power steering. Guess I got a bad one then!
    should be fine.

Remmeber you have a really good car, and besides these issues, it seems pretty well screwed together. Anything else wrong with your car, or is it just the steering?

Have you had the chance to drive this and a honda back to back? The V6 or GT is right in between a 4cyl and 6cyl honda, closer in price to the 4 but in performance closer to the 6.
  • nujersey84nujersey84 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new G6 coupe, black on black GT for 21,940 with the supplier discount and 0% for 72 months. Absolutely can't beat the price, the only thing I don't have is leather which I really don't mind cause the seats are really nice.
    Congratulations on your new car! Sounds like you got a very good price. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I am having with mine. I got mine 2 months ago, and just took a trip down to Texas, got great mileage and had a very comfortable ride.
    Best of luck to you!
  • 1point11point1 Member Posts: 5
    exalteddraggon1,
    Re: "chevy i think is higher than toyota" ??????????????
    Where did you get this from? :lemon:
    I'm shocked, I'm sure the rest of the World, too.
    Explain, please.
  • nujersey84nujersey84 Member Posts: 2
    thanks! I do absolutely love it, I can't believe why so many people hate on Pontiacs and American cars. Every person I've had in the car has just been stunned that the car is a Pontiac and has impressed them immensely. Must say, I'm getting a lot of looks on the road (in a good way ;-))
    Toyota's are not the holy grail of reliability.

While the whole of toyota is overall better than chevy if you take out the lexus brand you will be shocked. Also, individual cars from chevy are better than some at toyota. I'll check it out and post as soon as i find it, its been a while and i don't remember where i found it.

It is true, however. The newer chevy's especially are doing very well.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    if you want to talk about Toyotas and/or Chevys, please take it to the appropriate topic so that this one doesn't get off-track. Thanks.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Does anyone think that acceleration will be faster. At first i thought it would be faster with the 2007's herioc 252hp DOHC VVT that the 2006's 240 hp VVT OHV, but too many sources, including G6ownersclub, say that it will be about the same.

The gearing is lighter too, but would that not improve fuel economy?

The best thing GM could do to improve both, is shave a few hundred pounds off the car :)
  • am2006am2006 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone get little bugs in there dome lights inside the car by the rear view mirror?

I've had my cleaned out 2 times in less than a month. You will see a few in the actual lights itself but then when I've had the dealer take the panel down right there they always find it loaded with bugs.

Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem.
    Funny, but I have been popping the light covers off on a regular basis in my '06 GTP Coupe for exactly the same reason. I had no idea that the headliner is filling with bugs, but it makes sense that if they are falling into the lights they are coming from inside the headliner.

Curious, did the dealer have a solution that stops the flow of bugs? Or are we stuck with extra, free 'roof insulation'?

;)
    I just noticed them today in my 06 Coupe too...I'm scared to even open it so I think it's just another thing to have the dealer "tune-up."
  • am2006am2006 Member Posts: 2
    umm i've taken mine in 2 times to have it cleaned out and i'm taking it in again this week to have them find a solution...but the first time the dealer just told me there is a lot of places that they are coming in at...so he didn't know what to do...i think my next step is contacting gm
  • balla605balla605 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the bugs in my coupe and i never thought about going to the dealer about that...By the way has anyone had problems with the seat adjusters on the seats falling off, or problems with the C-Pillar peeling off of the back window area?
  • silverg6silverg6 Member Posts: 2
    With regards to having problems with your G6, I bought a G6 GTP w/mannual transmission 12/12/05. I have been to the dealer on eight seperate occasions for repairs and the car has be out of service at the dealer for around 30 days with only 7500 miles on it. The sunroof (not panoramic)has leaked twice. The last time it ruined the carpet which had to be replaced. I have lost reverse twice, the last time they had to replace the shifter. The parking brake failed, the recirculating actuator had to be replaced, the the check engine light has come on twice and the last time they had to update the the software on the ECU.

The thing that just blows me away is how Pontiac treats this. I spoke to two different Pontiac District Mangers and they both told me that they were just start up problems. One of them told me that he had only seen one other G6 that had the kind of problems mine was having. I asked for a replacment vechicle and he refused. I told him I was considering going to the State to start the lemon law process. He just said it wasn't like I was having major problems like my engine blew up or the transmission broke down and the car left me on the side or the rode so just fill out the paperwork and I could talk to the lawyers.

I understand that you can't manufacture thousands of cars without making a few bad ones. I like my car, it's a head turner, the MPG on the road is good (+30 MPG in 6th gear at 1500 RPMs which is 55 MPH) and it handles well which is why I asked for a replacement not a repurchase. What just totally FROSTS me is what I percieve as Pontiac's lack of concern over customer satifaction and the quality of their product. The dealership even called and tried to convice the District Manager into replacing the car. My perception of their attitude is you get what you bought and if it doesn't work that is your tough luck. If you don't like it take us to court. The inconvienance of having to take it to the dealer (on average once a month) so frequently is becoming a burden. They give me a loaner but I still have to make arrangements with work and family, etc. I am rapidly approaching the point where I wish I had not purchased the car. My son has a 95 Eclipse with over 160K miles on it and it has a better repair record than my G6. He now refers the the car as that American Piece of junk. When I end up with the loaner because my car is being repaired at the dealership my neighbors come over and tease me asking if I've bought a new vehicle. This is flat embarrasing!
    Wow, that's really not fun at all. While I haven't had any major problems like that with my car (now at 4000 miles), I do think that overall GM quality is on the rise. I was very impressed a couple weeks ago when Lake Orion (the GM factory where G6's are built) called me to ask me about how I liked my car. The person that called me seemed very concerned about the bug problem that I told her about and they sent me all sorts of service coupons in the mail. My dad also purchased a pontiac GTO shortly before mine and has had no problems at all with the car, even at 10000 miles. I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience--some cars just aren't quite perfect I guess. But I think you're right in going to the state, I would too. Good luck with your car!
  • jen16jen16 Member Posts: 3
    I've got bugs, water, and interior material issues. I've had my coupe 6 months and I hate it! Water leaks from the headliner onto the front seat and back seat; there is also a leak in the trunk. The interior fit and finish is awful. Previous vehicles have all been German and Japanese, but I wanted to support an American car company this time, and the look of the car captured my interest. I absolutely regret buying this car.
    I had to follow-up and reply to my own message. I just called to make an appointment with my dealer. They said I can only come in on Tuesdays because that is when "the leak guy is in". LOL.
    So I drove my car down to Miami from Chicago last week (24-hourish drive) fully loaded with all my possessions--yes, they all fit, and that was a huge surprise. The car drove great even with about 600 pounds of stuff in it--still had pep and passing/braking on the highway. Being in the car for 24 hours was also really comfortable with the lumbar support and quiet ride. I won't dread doing it again! Oh, and in regards to my earlier bug problem, I took it to the dealership and they just put some tiny little weatherstripping somewhere on the panel and problem solved, no more bugs as of yet!
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all, my friend just purchased a G6 GT coupe with manual shift auto. He has about 1000 miles on his car, and he has been experiencing slight rough idle at stops since reaching 1000 miles. Is this because car is getting broken in? Also, how often are you supposed to change the oil in G6 GT coupe? Manual tells you to hold on until oil service light comes on...but shouldn't he change oil every 3000 miles instead? Also, isn't the manual auto supposed to upshift for you when you are approaching redline even in manual mode?

Any comments/suggestion would be appreciated. :)
    Engine is calibrated accordingly. % oil life adjusts based on driving conditions and style. Changing the oil every 3K is not necessary. Most new cars are ~5 K miles unless you have a high-performance vehicle. I owned a BMW for 7 years; the oil only needed changing every 15 K miles and I never had a problem. As far as the idle, I have intermittent issues. I have 14K miles on mine, so I doubt it's a 'breaking-in' issues as you propose.
    Tell your friend good luck, and if you want to buy a used one (6 mos old) let me know!!
  • jebarjebar Member Posts: 1
    2006 G6 GTP Sedan w/panaramic sunroof - It started with a funny creeking noise- the air leaks and water leaks. After 10 visits to the dealer Ponitac tells me the air and water leaks are normal for this roof. The funny part is I can see day light through the seams in the glass panels. Hey GM do you think water will come in the seams if I can see out from the inside. They tell me my next option is lemaon law and file a complaint with the BBB.
    DO NOT BU TEH PANARAMIS SUNROOF - this thing is junk.......
  • lollipop417lollipop417 Member Posts: 2
    I hate to the the bearer of bad news. That idle problem you mentioned is only going to get worse if its anything like mine. I started complaining about that after having the car for about 3 months and its just gotten worse ever since. Also the car has started trying to choke down when you crank it up along with the starter staying engaged to long. I have had numerous amounts of problems with this car. I pray for your friend. Oh, yeah don't wait until the car tells you to change the oil, you will have blown your motor up by then. Apparently the designers of this car was smoking a little something if you know what i mean. Hope that helps a little. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.
  • lollipop417lollipop417 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 06 G6 GT 1 year ago last week, if anyone can tell me a mighty nice bridge to drive it off of I might do just that. Im just curious if anyone else has had any similar problems with the list of things that are to come. Please let me know, I've actually filed a claim with the BBB Auto line and once the case is opened and looked over we will have an arbitration hearing to discuss a resolution. I would like to use comments from people with the same to similar problems to help out my case if you don't mind.
    Right out of the gate I had to take the car back 3 days after it was purchased because the sunroof worked whenever it felt like it which was on and off. They had to replace the motor. I read a similar discussion about the paint job.....yeah mine is horrible and it seems like every time you wash it, it just gets worse. Swirls, scratches, and sunspots. They have tried to wash, wax, and buff them away and that hasn't worked. The gas gauge wasn't functioning properly, it was not registering full when I would fill it up it would just bounce around. Where the seatbelts retract down into was aparrently holding water and whenever we would go to put them them on they were soaking wet. First it was just the drivers side then it was both. Took it in and they told me it was fixed. Had to take it back about a month later and then they told me that the drainage hoses for the sunroof were never installed when the vehicle was made, so they told me once again it was fixed. 3rd time I took it back was about 3 months after that and then it was that the drainage hoses that were installed on the last visit were to short. Waiting to see what will happen next.
    We had a loud clunking noise in the front end and that ended up being gearbox for the power steering was faulty. Had a belt start squealing when turning at low speeds. Faulty Belt. Back break light cover rattles when listening to music with bass in it. Was told that it was loose.....suposedly fixed. Still does the same exact thing and it was taken in 2 times for that. The 2 major issues are when you go to crank the car up the starter stays engaged to long and when the car is sitting at idle it shakes horribly. It also trys to choke down when you crank it up, the rpms will jump up to like 2000 and when it decides that its going to stay cranked then they will go back down to about 700. Car still shakes no matter what. It has been in the shop about a dozen times.....not exaggerating, they tell me theres going to be a fix for the over start and it should be out in a month, no like 3 months, or the first of next year. Well, hear I am going on a year with still no fix for either. Mainly what I have been told about the idle and the choking down part is that the car is suppose to do that. Im not sure, but if a car is idling too low and trying to choke down there's something freaking wrong with it. The only reason I keep hearing that is guaranteed that they know there is a problem but there not sure what it is, so it makes us look like complete idiots. Well, I know better and I'm sure I'm not the only one with these problems.
    I actually had the service advisor that I speak with every time I go in for something else, he actually said that if the BBB claim goes through and they either buy the car back or trade it for a new one that he wouldn't suggest getting another G6. Apparently there are 3 other people than me waiting on a fix for the over start and 11....yes 11 people complaining about the idle and choking down part. This is just a one small dealership so I can only imagine how many people are having these problems.
    I know I have been going on and on but Im just so frustrated about the whole situation. So if anyone has any stories to tell that would benefit my situation, please let me know.

Thanks
  • joanejoane Member Posts: 4
    hurry and file with the bbb autoline. i did after 5 times in the shop. now i wish i would have filed as soon as legally possible. my pano roof was horrible with noise and it leaked once. my resolution with GM (they waited until the day before arbitration to settle) was to give me 23730.00 msrp credit as a trade for mine. i am trading for another g6 but without the pano roof. file quickly tho, because general motors can and will charge a usage fee. my car has about 9000 miles on it and it's gonne cost about 1500.00. but my dealer is giving me a good deal on a gt model to make up for the crap
  • 1point11point1 Member Posts: 5
    Well, all I can tell here is that Pontiac with G6 seems to continue same poor performance as with Grand Am. Something really substantial is missing: a real commitment to quality assembly. But also, quite possibly, design flows, bad mechanical tolerances and substandard electronics are at the root of the problem. Either way it is a joke. They wanted to take on the World with this car, didn't they? Not anymore, I'm afraid. I am sure that it is not easy to make a really good car. Obviously, they can't do it. Do you know that their replacement parts are apparently even worse? Sad.
    There were zillions of Grand Am horror stories over the years. Now that...
    I read quite a bit of this forum. Almost everyone was so excited right after buying G6. The car has some decent design cues. Now (one year later) there are either long lists of complaints or statements about BBB or lawyers and so on. Sad.
    It's hard to believe but some owners were ecstatic when they drove it 10k and they had only minor problems.
    You see, when I got my 2nd Accord (brand new) first thing I had to repair was at around 100k: I had to replace low beam lamp-bulb. Nuff said.
  • ldifazzioldifazzio Member Posts: 1
    I have a G6 GTP coupe purchased in March of this year. I am having the same issues with the seatbelts. When it rains, water leaks into the backseat through the "B" pillars and the seatbelts are soaking wet. Last night it rained and when I got in the car this morning the seatbelt was so wet that it left a wet stripe across my coat from wearing it.
    did you guys notice on the Pontiac website the new G6 info is up, and the base v6 is now 224hp, and they included info on the 252 hp v6, but if you click on drivetrain on the icon, it will show you last years engines!

ROFL!

Someone plz fix this :P
  • flyshy1flyshy1 Member Posts: 6
    My 06 GTP coupe 6 speed has bugs too. Bigger problem is the seat belts are wet. Just noticed this last month (got it march 06) contacted customer support on the G6 website.
    They suggested I contact the dealer for solution. Called today to hear, yes the drains in the sun roof is the problem. Decided to google the problem, and here I am.
    I do like the car, 14K but lost reverse once (replaced shifter) going in next week for wet seat belt/sun roof and
    2nd time brake pulse. I hope this time they replace rotors
    and not just "face" them. Last time dealer faced them, they
    suggested to rotate the tires (11K) I agreed, but was
    pissed they charged me $20 to rotate them. Actually, the
    front tires were off the car for brake warranty work, so
    to remove the rears and roll them forward seemed expensive.
    Now, being in Central NY, I need to put on 4 snow tires. I've "been told" that the 4 snows off my 40th Anniversity Grand Prix GTP supercharged will work. I'm not sure, as this
    G6 has 18" tires and the snows are on 16" rims. Anyone know
    if they will work?
    Yeah that dealership stinks for charging you for a rotation when they had the wheels off already, but you can always go to another dealership for warantee work.

As for the wheels, I doubt they will fit. The G6 has a 5X110 bolt pattern, which is fairly unique to several very new GM vehicles. So the 16" tires will not fit your 18" rims, and the 16" rims will probably not fit your G6 because of a different pattern. Kinda out of luck there unless you order 16" steel wheels from the factory. On a G6 site I belong to, there have been a couple of guys trying to buy used steel wheels, but so few are available, you are probably stuck buying them from the dealer. You MAY be able to get some from GMPARTSDIRECT or GMPARTSCHEAP at a better price. If your car came with the Goodyear LS2 tires (that's what came on my car with 18's), they should be ok, since they are all season rated, but they are not snows. If your car came with the Bridgestone tires, you do need snows, because they are summer only tires. :)
    with regards to rims for the G6 GTP. you mention 5x110 bolt pattern. I googled "rims" for G6 and for Grand Prix. both sites says 5x115 for both cars. So, I guess unless someone here knows for sure, tomorrow before eating turkey, I'll have to take one tire off the G6 and try the 16" rim/snow tire off the Grand Prix GTP. will report back....
    up here where we get average of 130 inches of snow, snow
    tires really make a BIG difference. With the last 2) Grand Prixs I had, when climbing steep and long hills, the traction control would kick in, dropping cylinders, only to
    loose speed and many times slow down so much I could not make the hill. other times I'd just turn off the traction control and burn my way up the hill... with snows, never
    had the traction control kick in... with 4) snows, the
    braking is much more stable, predictable.
    I completely understand your need for snow tires! And I sure wish you were correct about the wheels being interchangeable, however know for a fact the bolt pattern for the G6 is 5X110. Try googling the phrase "bolt pattern g6". I've looked at enough aftermarket wheels for this car and trust me, that is definitely the right pattern. I also googled the phrase "bolt pattern grand prix" and you are correct in your discovery of 5X115. No go, man...they simply will not fit. If you have doubts, just call the service department at your dealership. So to fulfill your need of snow tires for the G6, you're going to have to buy new ones, which are not cheap for the 18X7 wheels on the GTP. Also you will find there are not a lot of choices for tires for that wheel size. MOST 18" wheels are 7.5 or 8" wide. So very few tire manufacturers have produced tires that fit these rims. THANKS, GM! Trust me on that one too, I have been looking at replacement tires as well.
    I wish you luck!
    Thanks for information.... tirerack has 16" steel rims
    and blizzak snows, platic hub caps package for G6 GTP for $600 + $93 shipping. (also in stock) alloy rims for additional $200 ($50 more than steel rim)
    tried a GTP '07 with the new engine/transmission combo? Is it faster and more fuel efficient than the '06 version?

Thanks.
    Does anyone have a bulletin/repair # for the wet seatbelts issue, because that's the only problem I'm having and I just want to make sure it gets fixed before I leave my car at school for a month...
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    TSB #06-08-57-004; Wet Headliner, Seat Belt, Front or Rear Floor/Sunroof Waterleak (Inspect Drains)