Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi 3000GT help

Comments

• Options
    ogvideoogvideo Member Posts: 5
    Hey; I think I will need to replace my oil pump. can you tell me how to do it myself? or is it expensive to pay a mechanic to do it? Thanks, Orlando 845-414-5922 or ogvideo@yahoo.com
  • Options
    How do you clean the injectors? Thanks
  • Options
    The car is a non turbo SL model. I bought it and it has not even been registrered yet. I had the bumpers painted and parked it. If it has a bad head Gasket, wouldn't it smoke all the time? It only smokes sometimes and the smoke has a slight bluish tint to it.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Start by dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel tank, if you want.

I wouldn't be attempting to change an oil pump on a hunch.

Blue could be rings letting oil slip buy and be burnt in the cylinder.

A head gasket is the seal between the engine block and the head. As the head and engine heat up, there is expansion and contraction going on.

Why don't you take it somewhere and have them check out your engine, you really should have had that done that prior to purchase. What is your compression in each of the cylinders?
  • Options
    narinnarin Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any information regarding to your question. However, I have a 95 3000GT(sl) that you can help me with. I like to know the position of the VIC (variable induction control) motor. The VIC motor is mournted (with three screws, two on the top and one on the bottom) just above the timing belt cover. There is, some sort of a alignment, the mark on the intake manifold must match with one of the three teeth on the VIC motor. If your VIC motor hasn't been tempered with or if you believe it's in the correct position, I appreciated if you can help me out!

Thanks
    narin419
  • Options
    mitzu3000gtmitzu3000gt Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 3000 GT (not VR4). There is no pressure in the clutch at all, when pushed in it stays on the floor. Before it went out it was jumping like it was out of gas. Can some please help??
  • Options
    pearlywhite1pearlywhite1 Member Posts: 8
    Its your slave cylinder. I just had that happen on my car. It spuddered and then the clutch went to the floor and wouldnt come back up until I popped it up. They're about $40 to $60 at the auto parts store.
  • Options
    So it is pretty easy to change??
  • Options
    Do you know how to replace brake parts (like wheel cylinders on drum brakes) and bleed hydraulic brakes?
  • Options
    I have been reading about how to bleed the lines, I am no mechanic but the car won't move now so I figure I might as well try if it has to be towed to a shop anyway. Everyone I have talked to says that it is not hard to change, and I am broke and need my car running. I really just need some instruction as to where the slave is... Im thinking I should just get a manual?
  • Options
    Why don't you just get some of those folks that says it is not hard to do, to come over and do it for you. Have them bring the manual and all the tools, you buy the parts and fluid. Buy them a dinner, and you're set.

Hopefully they've actually done it, and not practicing on your car.
  • Options
    It seems that no one wants to work on a mitsubishi. I have dabbled under the hood of several cars and I really think that I could do it with a little guidence.
  • Options
    pearlywhite1pearlywhite1 Member Posts: 8
    :) It seemed like it. I didnt do it though. My friend did. Sorry :/
  • Options
    bigdogmettybigdogmetty Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 3000gt SL, the transmission was stuck in a high gear, but would be able to go from park to reverse and to drive but would not shift from 1st on up stayed in a high gear. i pulled the tcu and i am now trying to find a replacemint. the TCU# is MD740087, now is there any other ones i can use or just that one? if so where can i get one that isnt costly?
  • Options
    debbieszdebbiesz Member Posts: 1
    Hello new to the forum thought I would check it out. I had a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. When I use my AC for awhile I have noticed that the car runs bad and cuts out. Sometimes has problems starting and has died on me. When I do not use my ac I notice it runs like a charm. Any ideas strange thing.
    I also would love to install a sunroof for my car but not sure where to look or what type to put in. I would like to get one that is made for a gt.
  • Options
    jamj1234jamj1234 Member Posts: 24
    I just had my 95' Mitsubishi 3000GT tuned up at a local shop. When I got it back the engine is running much better but now the engine drops out and stalls when I am at speed and push the clutch in. I notice that the cam on top of the engine for the excelerator comes back not to a solid stop but a stop connected to some kind of vacume plunger, this would seem to me to give some adjustment to the excelerator if the RPM gets to low. Can anyone give me any info on this? 2ndly when I got the car back the speedometer was no longer working. The RPM gage does work fine however. I know the 95's are electronic, not mechanical. Does it sound like a wire got pulled loose when they took the intake off to get to the back plugs or is there something else I might look for? My mechanic seems to be stumped on this problem.

Thanks, Jack
  • Options
    I don't know anything specifically about Mitsub's, however for speedometer, many vehicles would have a speed sensor on the output shaft of the transmission. I'd look there for a loose wire.
  • Options
    I have a 95 3000GT. Mine has an Hydrolic master cylinder for the clutch. If yours is a hydrolic cylinder it sounds like you will need to replace it. I did mine hydrolic cylinder right after I did my clutch because I still had to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to disingage and still it was hard to shift. After replacement the system works fine.

Jack
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. There is a plug with 2 wires coming out of the tranny. They look gto be in place.

Jack
  • Options
    I will take a look in the morning and see if I can help.
    Jack
  • Options
    My VIC motor has 4 teeth on it. as you look in over the driver side fender the mark on the intake is lined up with the last tooth on the far left on the VIC motor.

Hope this is helpful.
    Jack
  • Options
    firestonerfirestoner Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1991 mitsubishi 3000GT well i just started noticing white smoke coming out of the tail pipes when i take off . We checked the plugs they look good and the car runs real good. what are some different possibilities for the white smoke?
  • Options
    Blown head gasket. Water from the coolant, is getting into the cylinder, the heat is creating steam, and it is being shot out the exhaust. You'll find your coolant level down.

Get it checked out and fixed fast, before the coolant ruins the engine.
  • Options
    smoke is oil smoke. problem is intermittent.one minute bad, next minute nothing.
  • Options
    Oil smoke would be black/blue. Puff when first started is usually valve seals. Continuous smoke is usually rings.

White smoke is coolant.

Confirm your color smoke, and address as appropriate
  • Options
    I cant believe a car can run so good with a blown head gasket dont overheat and there is no water in the oil. Strange but OK Thank you for pointing me in the right direction
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can pressurize the cooling system with a pump, and then, while still under pressure, remove the spark plugs and look for coolant on them--or as burdawg suggested, run a pipe cleaner into the hole and see if coolant appears. Then you KNOW for sure.

White smoke (like steam) is definitely a head gasket problem. There doesn't have to be water in your oil. There can also be oil in the radiator, or nothing at all (since the leak isn't bad enough yet and it's all burned up).

If the smoke is BLUE, this is probably oil burning, either from valve stem seals, valve guides, or internal engine wear (rings).

If the smoke is BLACK, this is an over-rich mixture, and has many causes but all related to fuel delivery and ignition, and more easily correctable than the other two situations.
  • Options
    shaagshaag Member Posts: 3
    will the front clip off a 95 3000gt sl fit my 92 vr4 i know it has pop up lights but it looks realy close shy of a hole for the 95 headlights could i drill hole and use the hole clip please need some help thank you
  • Options
    crissy46526crissy46526 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 mitsubishi 3000 gt. It will not stat. I have changed the ignition coil and the modular. But i still cant get any power to my spark plugs. any ideas? thanks. crystal.
  • Options
    is there a security system?
  • Options
    kenoskenos Member Posts: 3
    You might need a new computer.
  • Options
    riverrat57riverrat57 Member Posts: 2
    A friend of mine is trying to find a 5 speed manual trans to put back in his 96 3000GT, having a difficult time locating one in our area of NC, is there any other year(s) that will work?
  • Options
    martini95martini95 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 3000 and a few days ago i lost almost all pressure in the clutch pedal. I checked the master cylinder to check the fluid level and it was a little low so I refilled it. After that it was fine. but the next day I came back and I lost pressure again. I checked the fluid level again but it was full. Anyone got any ideas what might be the problem?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you lost some fluid, you have a leak, and probably are sucking in air. You might check for wetness at the clutch slave cylinder down below, or wetness in your carpeting under the dash where the clutch pedal linkage goes through the firewall.
  • Options
    3kgtvr43kgtvr4 Member Posts: 19
    Yes check the slave. They fail more often than the master. Even if there is no wetness the seal inside can let fluid pass. Replacing it is not too expensive.
  • Options
    martini95martini95 Member Posts: 2
    do you know exactly where the slave is under
  • Options
    your slave cylinder is gone
  • Options
    follow the line off the master cylinder & it'll take you right to it
  • Options
    1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    It could be your netual safty switch, needs adjusted or you need a need one! It located on the drivers side on the floor. Could be mounted on the steering column .
  • Options
    not absolutly sure without being there, but it could a leaking head gasket,sounds like coolant being burned off in the heads! Check your coolant! Has the car been run hot lately, if so could be the head gasket!
  • Options
    Could be a blown fuse eighter under the hood or dash, look at ignition fuse,before you do anything alse! ohms test the plug wires, could be that, could be the ignition switch!
  • Options
    fire10fire10 Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the valve body from the transmission in a 1994 3000gt fwd. I need to test/ replace the control solenoid valves.
  • Options
    liz013liz013 Member Posts: 2
    My daughters boyfriend has a 1994 3000GT and when it warms up it stalls! Him and his grandfather can't figure it out. It will run until it warms up. Some guy told them it was the transmission, I've never heard of a transmission making a car stall. Anyone have any ideas. They are afraid to drive it to get admissions test done for the reason they won't be able to get it back home or stuck in the middle of the road.
    Help please, Liz!
  • Options
    My husband says it sounds like the catalytic converter is stopped up! Has it ever overheated or had tune-up problems?
  • Options
    liz013liz013 Member Posts: 2
    No neither. He got it from a second hand dealer and it ran fine until one day it started doing this. I thought maybe it was the emergency shut off sensor or the fuel sensor.
  • Options
    You need to have your grandson n law start the car go to the tail pipes and feel how much air is coming out. How long does it take befor the car stalls approx?
  • Options
    92gtbird92gtbird Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 3000GT which is in great shape. Lately when I start her up she runs real rough and stutters on take off. After awhile running everything returns to normal. CEL is not on and has new ECU. I can tell I soon as I start her up if its going to run smooth or not. Any one have the same problem or know what might be the cause? Thanks for any input. :confuse:
  • Options
    mbowen1989mbowen1989 Member Posts: 8
    Just curious, why you put a new ECU in it. Are you supping it up?
  • Options
    92gtbird92gtbird Member Posts: 2
    Old ECU went bad......took awhile to figure out.
  • Options
    no6thgearno6thgear Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. I need a carfax or autocheck for ja3xe74c2my018261 its a vr4. geno.green@gmail.com If someone can run that for me I would really appreciate it.