Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi 3000GT help

Comments

• scrapydapydoooscrapydapydooo Member Posts: 2
    im looking to purchess a 95 gt vr4, it has these uprades, just wondering if some more expertly honed opinions would be able to tell me if i should leave it as is for a generally fast car {faster than a stock vr4 obviously due to the new intake and stepped up turbos...} or if anyone has any ideas on what would totally set my car far above and beyond a standard vr4... heres the specs

Dynamic Racing Stage 2.5 Heads $2000 -Dynamic Racing DR 500 Turbos $1500 -ACPT Carbon Fiber Driveshaft $1000 -Autometer Cobalt Gauges (Boost, Water, Oil) $550 -Apexi D2 Exhaust $800 -ATR Downpipe $300 -Dynamic Racing Fuel Pump $200 -Clifford RSX 3.5 Remote Start Alarm $200 -Lightweight Alcohol Injection Kit $200 -Accel Thundercoil Spark Plug Wires (Brand New) $95 -NGK Iridium Plugs (Brand New) $50 -Boost Controller $20 -Dunlop Super Sport Tires (Brand New on Rear) $350
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I hope it has a good intercooler setup. Were the injectors changed? A boost controller can be a dangerous thing.
  • alaska11alaska11 Member Posts: 7
    Mine did the same thing. There is a toothed plastic strip inside the antenna. If this strip breaks or strips out your antenna will not work. 3XS has a replacement for about $50.00. You pull the antenna out by hand and install the new one. The new one comes retracted,so when you get the old one out turn the radio off and stick the new one into the motor. Turn the radio on and the antenna should extend. Make sure to check that the motor works first. This operation can be done from outside the car, without removing a working motor.
    The key in my 99 3000gt auto trans SL won't come out of the ignition. It will not turn to the off position. It is probably the linkage from the shifter to the steering column lock. I tried to get to the shifter but can't get past the inner console frame. I adjusted the cable at the transmission arm but that didn't help. It has done this occasionally in the winter but it always fixed itself. This time it's the middle of summer and i can't figure it out. Any ideas out there? Thanks, alaska11
  • vanploegvanploeg Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my antenna. Can you direct me to a link to 3XS so I can order a replacement.
    Thanks
  • ted20ted20 Member Posts: 1
    My son turns 16 in a month and he's looking at a 91 3000 GT VR4 Twin Turbo. They seem to have 150,000 miles, 6 speeds, and lots of power. This will be his first car; he's never driven a stick and we live in Northern Illinois, where he will be driving on snow and ice. Should he be looking at other cars. Two of the cars that we have talked to the owners on, said that they do not drive their cars when there is snow and ice on the road. Is this typical?
  • pearlywhite1pearlywhite1 Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem. It turns out it was the Thermostat, and the Water pump. The thermostat went out and it blew the water pump out.
    If its the very bottom right light, I had the same problem... Ithink it's the radiator. (I lost my manual too) Get your thermostat replaced ASAP. It's telling you its going to go out.
    I don't have a manual to my car and I have a 95 3000 GT SL Manual Trans.
    The dash light on the right had side and 2nd one up - What does that mean? Because It flashes and sometimes stays on when I turn my wheel to the right - but only if I'm driving, never stopped.
    I would like to fix it but I don't know what it is. I just replaced the thermostat and the water pump. Plus the timing belt just got replaced also. All the fluids are fine! I am so confused! Please let me know asap.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Really bad choice, IMO. Way too much power for a totally inexperienced young man. It's also a very complex car with a spotty reliability record and is very expensive to repair and maintain. With AWD, it will be very hard on clutches even with an experienced driver. Also miles are very high. Very small chance of this turning out good for him IMO on any number of levels. I would strongly discourage you from this purchase for any number of good reasons. With a few years of driving under his belt and a good income to support such an exotic piece of machinery, well that's a different story.
  • ryman3000gtryman3000gt Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem also. You can try moving the shifter up and down a few times and you can also try moving the steering wheel left and right while trying to get the key out.
  • wmalangewmalange Member Posts: 5
    I would like to find a publication that would help me r and r my injectors in my 1991 . Please let me know where I can buy a manual or other guide. Thank you
    wmalange@yahoo.com
  • red96vr4red96vr4 Member Posts: 1
    go to 3sx.com you can get anything you want 4 ur 3000gt
    the wesite is 3SX.COM. I hope this helps.......alaska11
    The key is still stuck in the ignition. The key will not rotate to the "off" position. It will only go as far as the "accessory" position. Has anyone had this problem to this degree? I have moved the wheel and the shifter too many times to count. I have adjusted the shift cable at the transmission to no avail. I have disassembled the console, but still can't grt to the shifter. There is a "security cable" that runs pb the steering column. Is any one familiar with this cable? Thanks, alaska 11
  • zippy77zippy77 Member Posts: 1
    Alaska 11,

Try this.
    Turn and hold your steering wheel as hard as you can to the left. At the same time, push in your key as you rotate it backwards to the off position.
  • redcurlzredcurlz Member Posts: 9
    OVERVIEW: I have a 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT with a DOHC V6 and a 5 spd manual transmition. I noticed my car started running a little ruff, check engine light came on and my battery gaudge showed, if i ran my heater while my headlights are on and come to a stop/idlle, the battery gaudge will drop considerabley and my lights dim. Ofcourse,1 if its day time, heater can be ran without dechargeing the battery. I noticed the crank pulley has some in and out movement to it. Is it supposed to do that? So then this morning 1 of my 2 Serp. belts shredds off and now long shraplings of my belt are wedged inbetween my block and the pullies.
    QUESTIONS: How can I get that belt out and are there and tricks to putting the belts back in. Could I have possible engine damage judgeing by the play in the crank pulley? Someone please help me!!
  • waliswalis Member Posts: 35
    Hello all! I'm new to the forum. My big problem led me to seek help. My '93 3000GT (base, manual) won't move when put in gear. It all started one morning when I was driving my son to pre-school. As I took off from my parking lot I noticed it was jerking and struggling to move. It got me to the school fine and on my way back, it worsened. It really struggled to move.I stopped and try the reverse and it was working until suddenly it stopped. It'd go on gear fine but it won't move. I had to push it home (luckily I was 2 blocks away).
    Here's the problem in a nutshell: Car goes in gear but doen't move. My mechanic thought it was the clutch. He took the tranny off to find a relatively new clutch in there. So before he starts guessing,I thought I should research on my own.

PLEASE HELP!
  • platinumb9platinumb9 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 93 3000GT, I am wondering if the 92 body is compatible for parts. I have found a 92 3000GT and I need a passenger door and passenger front-side(over the wheel well) panel. Would the 92 body parts work on my 93? I love my car 3000GTs are the best!!!
  • mw3000mw3000 Member Posts: 24
    91 to 93 models are the same. i think 94 is close with a different hood and headlights mainly. also if you need parts the dodge stealth is the same car with diffrent trim packages. :shades:
    hey hows it going, find a better shop and tell them to check hydraulic slave and master cylander. that was my problem when the same thing happened, and it was cheaper than a clutch
  • blackmonblackmon Member Posts: 1
    How do I change the tail light bulbs on a '93 3000 gt?
    My 94 did the same thing. It turned out to be a sensor on the engine. I can't remember what it's called but has something to do with the fuel flow. It has an electrical wire coming out of it and is held in by 2 screws. It costs about $ 350.00 at the dealer but can be had online for about $180.00. Hope thia helps, Good luck.
    To change the bulbs, there are some plastic panels on the rear inside the trunk, just pull the covers of and you will see the light bulb holders, twist out nad there are the lights
  • advanceadvance Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE I WILL LIKE TO KNOW THE PROBLEM WITH MY A/C AFTER FEW MINS IT IS ON IT GETS VERY HOT I HAVE TRIED TO ADJUST IT SEVERAL TIME TO LOW AND COOL IT STILL KEEPS ON GETTING HOT..IS THE GAS FINISHED OR?
  • car23car23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 3000GT. My alarm system had problems and now my dealer said there is no indication with the alarm system that I am activating my alarm (such as horn beeping, lights flashing, etc.). I know there was a sound. Does anyone have a 1997 3000GT and have information related to the alarm system.
  • redcurlzredcurlz Member Posts: 9
    :blush: Im afraid im not to knowlegeable on the a/c unit in the 3000GT.
  • stunna2stunna2 Member Posts: 13
    Alright, so I have a 93 vr4. I changed theoil and started it after it. It started right up. Then I shut it off. Came back and tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I had the computer sent off and ran and it came back clean. So now I think it is the power transister unit or the p.t.u. But I'm not sure. So what do you think and if it isthat how much is it.
    Hello, I have a 93 and i had to replace the ignition switch, I have since given the car to my sister, and she has no problems.
  • leonchinleonchin Member Posts: 10
    who can tell me that the price of oil filter in you market?
    About $3.79 zip code 29687
  • bmossbmoss Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me what all I need to remove to change the back 3 plugs on a 3.0? This is my wifes car and Im not sure how to go about it. I have always owned and built american iron and this is kind of new to me.
    Thanks
  • duy_gtduy_gt Member Posts: 3
    i just got the mitsu 1993 3000gt but something wrong with the auto trans,it starts at gear 2th and run very slowly when it begins accelaration, please help me or any one have manual trans for sale ,please let me know :sick:
  • duy_gtduy_gt Member Posts: 3
    the car starts with the second gear and i dont know what wrong with it,is electrical problem with the transmission ? or the gear problem ? please ,i need help?
  • jeremyreedjeremyreed Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1996 VR4 with no modifications (Hardly driven, brand new everything with 12,500 miles) done to it. I was thinking of putting a different exhaust and a blow off valve. I'm not really much into the car world, so I don't really know what sorts of parts I should buy. I was looking through some blow off valves, and found HKS ones, but there's about 5 or 7 to choose from. If cost wasn't an issue, what kind of blow off valve could my car handle at the stock 320 whp level.
  • roll_18roll_18 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 mitsubishi 3000gt, there's no sign of it being a Vr4 so does that mean i have a base type? And if i do, will Vr4 and SL parts fit my car?
  • chgodchgod Member Posts: 1
    No direct experience, but from what I hear a real beast. The rear motor mount has to be disconnected, the engine/trans slightly lifted up and the plugs changed.

You might be able to with a socket set and some u-joints snake a plug socket on it.

When you do get it, put REAL GOOD plugs in it so you don't have to bother again for a long, long time.
  • jinstasijinstasi Member Posts: 10
    as far as blow off valves go check out 3sx.com it reall depends on how much you want to spend and how loud you want it to be the exhaust is easy borla baby expensive but very nice sound i have one but cant sell it on here awsome sound though
    when you do the exhaust you should at least get a k&n air filter also ">
    do not use the bosch platinum +4
    throttle position sensor or fuel pressure regulator
    I need a drivers side headlight assembly (I'm pretty sure). It was cracked and 'fixed' when I bought it. Moisture gets in the headlight and it's rusty looking inside. All I can find is one's that are around $500 for one. I don't care what color it is, and I don't care if it's used. Does anyone know of any?

Also, I want a stock bumper. The one that came with mine is aftermarket and I hate it.

Please help! Thank you!
    well i just bought a bodykit for my 95 3000gt and i have the stock bumber and side skirts lying around but they are red with white strips in the middle goin from the top to the bottom. im thinkin of sellin them on ebay or somthin
    How much do you want for them?? And what state are you located in?
    i have a 97 e-mail me if you think this stuff is good for you
    i live in ma so there may be some shipping involved i would hurry if i was you thought i have alot of people making offers on these parts joninstasi@aim.com
    do you have single overhead cam(base) or dual(SL)or twin turbo(VR-4)at any rate bodies are all the same and some suspension and mechanical components can be inter changed the plastics are year specific but say you have a 93 you can put a 96-99 nose on it but you have to do everything headlights ect... :shades:
    make an offer and ill think about it and are u paying the shipping fee. I live in tx
    go ahead and email me about the parts if u prefer that better. jr_9_27_85@yahoo.com
  • jlmyers07jlmyers07 Member Posts: 2
    I can't help you with this problem but i hope you can help me!!! this happened to me tonight. poped out of gear and i put it back in gear and it wouldn't go anywhere. there is no noise, sounds like everything is running fine... but no, the car won't move. Were you able to solve the problem?? if so what was wronge and what had to be done?? Thank you so much!!
  • jlmyers07jlmyers07 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 3000gt sl, last night i took it out for a drive when it popped out of 1st gear. i put it back in gear and tried to accelerate, the car wouldn't move. There is no unusual noise coming from the car when it's idling or when i put it into all gears, just won't move when i try to accelerate. I check the ground to see if the tranny blew, there was nothing, the tranny is 4 years old and has about 20,000 miles on it, so i am hoping it's not blown. has anyone had this problem or heard of it? if so what is it most likely to be and is it an expensive fix???
    thanks a lot!! my email is jlmyers07@hotmail.com if you can help me!!
    im not sure, first of all i dont know what it looks like, im still figuring out my car so what would a single overhead cam look like and where will i find it