Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• sienna_azsienna_az Member Posts: 5
    Not like anyone is, but just in case you were keeping tabs....it ended up just being the gas cap thing. When the light came on (it was a Sunday of course) I whipped out the owners manual and tightened the gas cap like it said. It stayed on for two days until I could get it in to my dealership. Of course, it was on when I drove it in to the parking lot but then when we went to move it into the service bay the light SHUT OFF!. I was like "are you kidding?" Nope, apparently it can take up to 8 stop/starts before it resets itself. This was about # 9 though, but heck, I am not complaining. I am really glad it was only that because I really love this car. I would feel kind of silly about it but a) I wasn't the one that filled it up and b) the nice porter who was moving the car said that happened on the two Kia's he personally owned, so I felt much better.

I love my car and I don't get what they say when they talk about "styling by the witness protection program". Looks just fine to me. *shrugs*

After I have a few fill-ups and drive it a bit more I will rate it on the site.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I got a popup ad on a classifieds site while searching for minivans and thought you prospective Optima owners might like to know, there is a $2500 rebate on Optimas right now (said all models) good until 6/2 on any 2008 model. Take another $1000 off if you can find a 2007.

I just priced out a 2008 LX 5-speed 4-cylinder with floor mats, and after rebate, TMV is under $13,500. That's pretty good for a mid-sized sedan. If I wasn't in such desperate need of a 9-passenger vehicle, I'd be considering one. And when we replace my wife's Taurus sometime next year, I'll definitely be looking at a new Optima along with used Impalas (which would be my primary choice for her).

After viewing the other deals, I only wish a 2007 Sedona EX fit our needs, for there is a $4000 rebate available!
  • pabubbapabubba Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my wife and I just bought a used 2007 Kia Optima LX, 4 cyl auto with only 4000 miles and love it (much better then the 1997 Saturn SC2 coupe we traded!).

The vehicle only came with one key and no keyless entry remote fobs so we went online and order two with an FCC# OSLOKA - 674T. The problem is now the dealer is telling us that this is a remote for a Kia Spectra and not an Optima. When we look online it appears they share the same remote (I could be mistaken though).

In the short period of time we've had the car we've dealt with the service department on several minor issues and they really don't seem to have their act together so I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar vehicle could give me an FCC# or a parts number for the remote fob so I can see if what they are telling me is actually the case. They checked and the car is equipped for keyless entry.

Thanks,
    Todd
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    FCCID:OSLOKA-310T

Mine is an EX,but that is what is written on my transmitter.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the info, I'm sure we'll get it figured out. The dealer quoted a price for a fob through them at $130 each and if I can get them someplace else (and they work) I'm definately going to try that first. You don't realize how much you come to rely on keyless entry until you don't have it!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might be able to find the fob on eBay but, as you have discovered, you have to get the right part number. I bought a fob on eBay a few years ago that looked just like the one for my minivan. But it was a different part number and it didn't work with my van.

Maybe an Optima owner can tell us if the Optima's fob is user-programmable. Some are, but some require a special device to program it--meaning the dealer has to do it and will probably charge for it.
    Try a different dealer.I have found that the prices for service as well as parts can be different.For example a tranny fluid change is $65 at one dealer and over $100 at another.I also found that the oil filter at two different dealers was totally different, almost twice as much at one than the other.So look at other dealers before you settle on one.They are no all the same. I found one at last where the service dept. was outstanding.It took three tries before I found one I liked.
  • farmer7farmer7 Member Posts: 2
    We bought an 2008 optima today and on our drive home the interstate had quite a few rumble strips due to the blacktop seperation. The drive across these strips was quite loud and a definate "ping" , Much noisier than the 1998 windstar we traded in. Only 31 miles on the vehicle so still getting a feel of the road.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Mine is the same number as mickeyrom's: 310T

It's on ebay motors for $15.99 plus $5.99 shipping from Ilovewheezer (Kia Optima key fob search)
    I called another local Kia Dealer to see if they could provide a little better service, they entered my VIN number and were able to give me the Kia Part# of
    95430-2G200 which ends up being the FCC ID:OSLOKA-310T Fob (yeah, of course the one I didn't get!). They quoted a price of $138 to order a fob but said if I was able to find them online they would program them for $45 labor. I was able to find two on craiglist for $15 each including shipping so I'll see if they work (the first dealer offered to program them for free). Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Congratulations on your new Optima, Fred. May I suggest you check the air pressure in your tires? Sometimes new cars come with overinflated tires and the dealer forgets to check them. That might make them louder than normal, with a harsher ride.
    Finally noticing a few national TV ads for the Optima, there's certainly been many more for the Spectra in the last few months.
    Most underrated,and most underappeciated car on the planet :) I doubt that I will ever trade or sell mine.
    Could we please change the title of this discussion? Since the 2006.5-2008 Optimas are the same, how about "Kia Optima 2006.5-2008"? There's already a discussion for the refreshed 2009 Optima, and one for the pre-2006.5 Optima, so that would give us continuous coverage for all years of the Optima. Right now there's a little gap--no general discussion for the 2006.5 or 2008 Optimas. Thanks!
    I am a bit confused over what I've seen online re the interior trim on the 2008 Optima EX I4, so I'd appreciate help from anyone with knowledge of the EX's interior. When I look at kia.com, in the features summary for the Optima, both "leather" and "cloth" are marked for the EX I4. Then when I look at options packages for the EX I4, it says that leather-trimmed interior is included in the Appearance Package. There's also some notes about how other packages relate to the black leather interior only. Then when I look at Edmunds.com, it says the EX I4 has a leather interior. :confuse:

So... does the EX I4 without any option packages have leather seating surfaces or not?? And if not, is the cloth the same as on the LX?

Also, when you have shopped for an Optima.... do you remember seeing EX I4s with the ESC package but no other option packages? If that combination is available, that would be an alternative for me rather than the LX with ESC and Appearance packages. The list price difference is only about $700 (considering mats are extra on the LX and standard on the EX), and if the EX has leather it would be easier to justify the extra cash.
    Leather on Optimas is an option.Not sure about 2008s,but in 2006.5 you had a leather package or an appearance package.They have some weird ways of equipping their cars,
    If you go to www.kia.com and "build" an Optima,you'll get the idea.
    I think things may have changed for 2008. I happen to have a brochure from 2007 and it mentions a "leather package" for the EX. No such package now on the EX.

I did go to kia.com, "build your own" or whatever. Also the list of features there--where it shows both leather and cloth checked off for the EX I4. :confuse:

Anyway, it may be a moot point. Last night I checked inventory at about 15 dealerships in MN and Chicagoland. NONE had an Optima LX with the ESC/ABS package, and NONE had an EX I4 with just the ESC/ABS package. There may have been a couple loaded EX I4s that included the ESC/ABS package, but that's not what I want. So the Kia sales rep I talked to on Saturday wasn't kidding when he told me ESC/ABS is very hard to get on the Optima, and in fact he tried to steer me to the Sonata (he's with a dealer group that sells Hyundais also).
    Thanks for the name change!! :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    http://www.roadwire.com

For $500 (at my dealer, negotiated in purchase), I think roadwire's leather package is as good as OEM.
    Mickeyrom and I have both complained about the lack of a MPG indicator as part of the DIC in 06.5-07 Optimas. I understand that instrumentation in the 08's is enhanced. Do they include a MPG indicator yet?
  • jaydeanjaydean Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2006.5 Kia Optima in January of this year. It was the Lx v6 with the appearance package. No leather. Even though it was 2008 the car was still brand new and I got the car for 14,250. The car is great. I also found out from numerous people and consumer reports that it is very hard to find the ESC/ABS on these cars. I wonder why that is. Fortunately mine came with it. I am very happy with my KIA Optima, and feel sort of special that it came with those features. But as I said, I too am puzzled why it is so hard to find those features on the optima.
    I don't know for certain,but I have a feeling that it will be more common on the 2008s and 2009s. I have an EX of the same year,and I had to wait a week until they got such an equiped car from another dealer.I guess KIA is just a bit quirky.
    I can only figure that Kia is out to snag the people looking for low price no matter what, and for whom safety is a secondary concern. With all the base LXes I've seen in dealer inventories, I wonder if that is the smartest sales strategy...
    Update: I talked to the sales manager of a Kia dealership today. It was not about an Optima, but I mentioned I would be buying a car this fall and the Optima was in the running, and that I was concerned about how hard it was to find ABS/ESC. He kind of chuckled and shook his head, and said, "Yeah, Kia doesn't send any ABS cars to the Midwest. They send them to California!" (He obviously thought that was pretty funny,in a frustrating kind of way. So do I.) BTW, they had a good selection of Optimas on their lot--none with ABS/ESC. :(
    People look at me strangely when I tell them my Optima is a 2006.5 model. Most of them dont believe me, and think I am joking and then I have to tell them why that is. But I feel sort of privelidged and uniqe to own a 2006.5. Even though we know it was a model to see if people would like and when it was built at the time of year, but I always tell them the same thing. I actually think they made more 2006.5s with the appearance package and the ABS/ESC to see how the market would do. I do wish they would have had the leather package also, but mine is equipped with everything else. But until I get a new Kia, and now that I own one, I think I will be a Kia person for life, I will stand my ground on debating with people that my car is a 2006.5. At 49 years old I have had many cars, but have never owned a brand new one. I went out with my Dad in January of this year and we pulled into the Kia dealership and he said he wanted to test drive the Optima(he is a very practical man, and in life always wants the best bang for the buck with his money) so we took it out and came back and he made them an offer and then wrote them out a check and threw the keys to me and said here is your first new car. I filled out the paper work and I absolutely love my Kia and the compliments I get on it.
    Many people think I am joking when I tell them my car is a 2006.5 model. I think those of us that own this model are in a sort of uniqe category. Mine has the appearance package and is the Optima LX, with ABS and ESC. There have been a few who no matter what, wont believe me when I tell them the year. Anyway just wondering if anyone else gets wierd looks when they say they own a 2006.5. I couldnt be happier with my Kia Optima and will propably be a Kia car person for life.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Don't get any strange or wierd looks when I tell people we have an 06.5 Optima.
    If memory serves me, Kia switched platforms in 2004 for the Spectra and never even used the .5 designation. There were simply two different Spectras. Didn't VW do that as well with the Golf and (New) Golf-- one and two generations before the present Rabbit?

Anyway with Kia, it's supposed to have something to do with improving EPA mileage averages for a model year but it's a really stupid practice.
    What is weird is that Kia had two Spectra models, each designated 2004. That was really confusing. Journalists and others took to calling the new Spectra "2004.5" just to keep it straight from the old one. Similarly, VW didn't officially call the 2005.5 Golf a 2005.5, but the "New Golf." At least we could keep it straight from the old Golf.

Maybe the confusion over the Spectra caused Kia to use the 2006.5 designation on the new Optima. But they could have made it simpler by just calling it a 2007 and extending the model year by a few months.
  • tcsftcsf Member Posts: 3
    I also purchased a 2007 Kia Optima EX V6 model, fully loaded but without the ESC/ABS. It came with all power options, leather heated seats, sunroof, Infinity stereo, Not sure why Kia would build such a model without ESC/ABS. I bought it because of the very good price, it costs less than a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic. The car looks very good and drives well. I decided to add in a few accessories: sunroof deflector, door visor, front & rear mud guards, cargo liner and all weather floor mats. My niece, who owns a 2007 Toyota Camry, has commented that it is a lot more "car" for a couple of thousands less than what she paid for her car.
    However, the KIA dealer where I purchased the car provided no aftersales service, there were several minor issues and I will definitely not recommend that dealer. I have not deal with the service center yet, abd I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be better that the sales department. So far I like the car but KIA needs to monitor the dealers or it will lose business to other makes.
    I think it's stupid for a car that well equiped not to have ESC/ABS...fortunately for me, my 2006.5 Optima EX 2.4 does have those options.The dealer had to get it from another out of state.
    The service at that particular dealer was problematic,but after checking out a couple more service depts. I got lucky and now have one that I like. :)
  • tcsftcsf Member Posts: 3
    I would have liked to get the ESC/ABS but I can live without the options since the car is not for work, mainly for local use. So far it has <600miles after 7 weeks, mostly city driving. To improve the braking, I will properly changed the front discs to EBC slotted/X'ed drilled discs and use their Green brake pads. I am researching to find the best prices for the parts. That should give better braking.

I am also trying to find out if AXT (an Australian company) makes brake discs for the car because the accessories I ordered from KIA are all made in Australia. I have used their products before and they are reliable.
    I drove a similar model with regular brakes before I bought mine and I found them very adequate.It was my wife who insisted with the ABS because she was used to them in our Chrysler mini van.
    My experience is almost the oposite to yours.95% of my Optimas time is spent on the highway.Mostly long drives.Really not a whole lot of braking.
    I think it's time to check on all the 2006.5 and 2007 model Optima owners feelings about their car now. Once the air bag issue was resolved....I have had no repairs at all.Of course I change the oil etc. but no repairs or adjustments.I am a happy camper.I use 5-20 Synthetic Mobil 1 oil.I change at 6 month intervals,always less than 6000 miles.90% of my driving is highway.(maybe more)I keep my tires inflated with nitrogen(can't hurt)at 35 lbs.That is about it.I plan to change tranny fluid at 30K or maybe at 2 years,That is what a KIA service manager suggested.
    The car has developed a few minor,very slight rattles and sometimes when I get out of the car there is a click from the front end.That is about it.Otherwise it's been running like a swiss watch and a real pleasure to drive always getting at least 30MPG and usually more. :D
  • griff252griff252 Member Posts: 2
    I have a kia Optima 5 speed with approx 50,000 mls. I got it used with approx 32000 miles 3.4 years ago. No problems at all, its been a great car. A month or so ago I was driving along and it bucked a bit, not when shifting, just as I was driving. Didnt happen again. Last week my gas was low but no light on and I was in 3rd and driving along and it bucked again, I didnt see the engine light on and assumed it was just low gas. So I filled it up with regular gas and it still happened. I then filled it again with mid grade gas, had the oil changed and checked the air filter. It was fine. No engine lights on. I did travel alot these past 2 months, approx 6-800 miles. It is still happening without warning and no lights on. Spoke to dealer and another shop and both want to charge 100 or so to run tests/codes cause they arent sure what is going on. Couple friends have said that maybe it is the fuel filter (was camping with dirt roads for a few days and near the ocean too so near dirty roads) another said maybe plugs. All are baffled that the engine light doesnt come on. Hard part is I am not in a position to pay $100 to diagnose then pay for parts too. Can I change the fuel filter myself? Does it sound like that is it? Should I just change plugs? Would appreciate any input you have. I have another trip this weekend and worried but I need to go so have to find out what the concern is. Thanks
    You're posting in the wrong forum. This is a different car.

You might also want to post on the Sonata forum if they have the pre- 2006 car isolated. Five-speed doesn't mean much these days as in the 06.5+ Optimas, all transmissions--manual and auto-- are five speed.
    It's been 40 days without a post, so I thought I'd keep this thread alive.

The car is comfortable enough for a five hour drive, although I'd still like a little more thigh support in the front seat. Seat is a bit too short. My Maxx is more comfortable as a road car. I think the Sonata might be as well. I'm 6'4 but have only a 32 inch inseam so I'm not that long-legged.

As I stated in the MPG post, I think it's good for 30 mpg, especially if you put the transmission into fifth. D seems to shift down far too often.

Handling is enough tighter compared to my Maxx so that I could see that people not used to GM electric steering would find it a bit sloppy at first drive.

I haven't rotated tires yet, tried to when I got my last oil change at Wally-World but they were confused by the tire inflation indicator. So it's to the dealer or a real tire dealer for the next oil change/rotation. Some wear on front tires at 11K, so these things are going to get less mileage and cost a lot more to replace than the standard sixteen inch tires. They didn't have a base car at the dealer when I made the sale in early 07, having second thoughts about the appearance package being worth it given replacement costs. Definitely will skip the Michelins next time.
    Another month without a post so I'll keep the thread alive by saying its another 30 days without any kind of incident.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Silence is golden?
  • kiafishkiafish Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a used Kia Optima 2006.5, but can't find the owners manual. Does anyone know where we might be able to download a PDF or purchase one cheaply?

Thanks!
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    You can look on E-BAY for a manual,or go to KIA.COM &click on owners.They have a owners manual that you can download. GOOD LUCK! :shades:
    Thanks so much for the response!

I went to the KIA Global Information System (http://www.kiatechinfo.com) this morning and couldn't locate it on the Glove Box Materials page, but since then the site has been updated and it's there now. The only problem is that I can't seem to figure out whether I should download the 2006 or 2007 PDF. There isn't a specific PDF for the 2006.5 model.

Here's the page I found on the GIS site that had the list of manuals:

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechInfo/Glove/board_view.asp?docu_no=7&page=1
    OK :) Just got back form a long trip.Put on 358 miles on this tank, and still have a "range" of 220 more miles. How do you like them apples?
    I'd think the 07 would be identical. I think there were no improvements to the 07 v. 06.5, it was done to increase fuel economy for the 06 model year, or so it was speculated. Personally I thought that was bad marketing.

The 06 would probably get you the older car.
    Use the OPTIMA MG listing. Gets you to the download of the owners manuals. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    So the Optima MG pdf is the 2006.5 manual... That's good to know. Late last night I printed out the 2007 manual thinking there probably wouldn't be a huge difference. Would there be any advantage in recycling that and printing out the MG manual instead?
    Compare the 2006.5 with the 2007 , ------
  • dkh1967dkh1967 Member Posts: 8
    Bought a 2007 with 14k on the odometer a couple of weeks ago from CarMax. My 2001 Ford Focus hit 99k and started falling apart at all ends. Read many articles on the net before I decided to buy this car. Tried out Camry and Accord but they were out of my price range. I guess it's true that those two hold strong resale value.

What I read on the Optima... it's well built and can give Camry and Accord a run for their money. My parents bought a new 2008 Accord EX-L, first of the year. A very nice car but this Optima seems just as big and rides the same. It has tons more room than the Ford.

I have been reading the threads here and it seems like you guys are pretty satisfied with your Optimas.

The only issue I had.. it was pulling bad to the right and they did a wheel alignment and that was fixed. I also complained to the guys at CarMax to check the right low beam headlight. It was spotlighting the ditch. They said they would. They said they had to take the car to the KIA dealership for the alignment.

I knew the very next night coming home from work the light wasn't fixed. I took it back. The lights are even and straight but they are "high". I read these "projector" beam lights put out a lot of light but this is extreme. I haven't been bright lighted by anyone yet. I'm a little tired of taking this car back. Does anyone know how to adjust the beams? I want them down a little. Seeing the leafs on the bottoms of high trees doesn't seem right to me.. :sick:
    It's likely that your headlights are as they are supposed to be.You'll get used to it...I did.