Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

1121314151618»

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    The wife made me do it.She twisted my arms..both of them.The KIA now just sits in the garage,looking like new with 36,000 Miles on it and running like a swiss watch.I try to drive the Optima at least once a week,The battery is getting weak.When summer comes,unless gas is back to $4 PG the Optima will return to it's rightful place as leader of the pack.Can't imagine too many long trips in the Prius.Only adjustments on the seat are forward and back and you can tilt the back.The steering wheel has only tilt.No temp.gage,no range on the computer.Bah humbug.
    Nice of you to think of me ,I do appreciate it.
    BTW...now when we want a thrill ride ,all we need to do is take the Prius out on the interstate.Way more exciting than a roller coaster. :shades: :lemon:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for the thrill ride, mickeyrom?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yeah...you know,when it goes out of control and I try to stop it.Isn't that fun?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    your Prius will go in to neutral at freeway speeds, right? And you've never experienced any UA issues in your Prius? If it has the automatic brake override you guys should be safe. If it accelerates just hit your brakes and put the car in to neutral. And safely make plans to get off to the side of the road.

Hopefully a drunk won't hit your Prius while you're on the side of the road. Ouch! Ruins a perfectly good day, eh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I just hope that it would go into neutral.Remember,the Prius gear shifter is strictly electronic.If the problem is in the electronics,who knows what functions remain.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Seriously considering purchase of 2008 Optima LX, 4cyl, 4A, 14K miles, one owner, clean Carfax. Are there any areas that have recurring problems with this model?

Currently driving 2009 Ford Focus which I wouldn't have bought otherwise except for super low supplier pricing. Car has been reliable but the driver's seat is killing my back. The Optima is on the Ford dealer's lot where I bought the Focus. Price is 11,300.

Thanks for the input.
    I have a 2006.5 Optima EX and I definitely would recommend it.After 37,000 miles I have had no repairs.Initially we did have a problem with the passenger air bag,but once the computer was re-flashed it has been fine.

4A? I don't think that they make a 4 speed auto.It's a 5 speed.
    PS. the 2008 is basically the same as the 2006.5
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FWIW I've seen 2009 Optimas with that kind of miles at local dealerships for around $12k recently. The 2009 is a refresh year and there's several improvements, including a more powerful (175 hp) I4 that gets better fuel economy than pre-2009. But the biggest thing is, ABS, ESC, and traction control became standard for 2009. Very hard to find on pre-2009 Optimas. That alone is a good reason to go with a 2009, IMO, especially if there isn't much price difference. Also you'll have more warranty left (in time) if you buy a 2009 vs. 2008. Just a thought.
    Thanks, Backy & Mickeyrom for the helpful advice. The local Kia dealer usually has a lot of '08/'09/'10 Optimas. They buy at auctions and from other dealers to keep their huge dealership stocked with late model Kia's and other makes.

It's hard to know where the car's been purchased as they don't offer Carfax. They use another service called, I think 'CarReports'. I do know that some with high miles were in service with Enterprise. An ex-rental car usually has seen some pretty severe service and I'm concerned that regular maintenance may or may not have been done.

They just won the 'Best Kia Dealer in the World' award. Luckily, I am well acquainted with the owner and have been for nearly nine years. With around 300 new Kia's and nearly 100 used Kia's and other makes on their lot, the choice becomes difficult.

A 2009 or 2010 model would be a great choice, but finding just the right one may take some doing.

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice.
    You can buy CarFax reports yourself online for a minimal cost. If you value their info, it might be worth the investment once you narrow down your choice to 1-2 cars.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Like Mickeyrom, absolutely nothing has happened to my wife's 07. Absolutely no problems. Personally I like the look of the pre-09's better, but the additional features and engine improvements on the 09+ may be worth it. Certainly reflects the new Kia corporate look better. The '11 Optima looks very interesting, good to see that Kia and Hyundai are taking different (though both interesting) styling routes.
    Other than the MPG on the trip computer,I cannot think of any improvements over my 2006.5.I like having the 6 disc changer in addition to the cassette player.The 2009 might have a few more HP,but not very much.For the thousands more it would cost,it's a no brainer.
    If it's an LX, then the 2009 offers ABS, ESC, and traction control in addition to the additional 13 horses on the I4. Optional ABS/ESC package was almost impossible to find on LXes.
  • dkh1967dkh1967 Member Posts: 8
    My 2007 LX didn't offer ABS or ESC at all. It was available on the EX. I still have no problems with my 2007 LX with 5 speed auto. Of course I only have 24 k on it. I fear my Optima will out live the bumper-to-bumper warranty with my low miles. I bought mine used and I didn't get to take advantage of the 10yr/100k powertrain. :(
    Mine is an EX and has all of those goodies.The extra horses? Honestly don't know what difference that makes.Mine has plenty enough pep for me.I don't do much drag racing.
    But I get your point.It pretty much depends if the savings in $$$ is worth giving up ABS etc.
    I never had a car with ABS until my 1997 Town and Country and honestly did not miss any of those electronics.Unless you're driving at LeMans I doubt they will ever come into play in day to day driving.
    The Chrysler vans fishtailed pretty badly w/o ABS. I had a 1991 Caravan w/o ABS, and it was tricky to stop in winter. My 1999 GCS had ABS and it stopped straight in all conditions. I think ABS does come into play in many everyday driving conditions, especially if you have winter weather at all. ESC, not as much, unless you are exceeding the limits of the car. But I've found traction control comes in handy in the slips.
  • smokint1smokint1 Member Posts: 4
    I really am just pleased as I can be with our 2006.5 EX V6 w/ESC and leather. It's a beautiful car and it makes me feel as if I am in a higher tax bracket than I actually am. We bought it used with about 47K on it. It was listed as a fleet car on the carfax, but it was in like new condition. It is my wife's car, but I really jump at any chance I get to drive it. I can't get over how good the factory infinity stereo system sounds. The car is in a word "Impressive". My two cents. Thanks
    Just found this post.Dang notification just does not work perfectly.
    I have have several Mopar minis,a 89 Plym top of the line woodie,a 94 Plym. short base,a 94 Town and Country and an 97 T&C LXi.I know the last two had ABS,but honestly don't remember the others.The Town and Countries came with every available option and both were outstanding cars,more then than the current lot as compared to their contemporaries.Never had any issues with fishtailing with any of them.
    Don't forget to change your timing belt at 60,000 miles.Mine is very much like yours,but I have the I4 engine(thank God) which comes with a timing chain.
    The stereo while good is not an Infinity according to the info I got from many car publications.It is a KIA made unit.Mine has only 38,000 miles right now and we only use it for trips, as the in town gas consumption is pretty high,The Prius is much better,if less comfortable.
    We bought ours in Nov of 2006 and have no regrets.Welcome to the KIA Optima club.
    Even on slick snow, and ice? Only our '91 Caravan SWB w/o ABS had the fishtailing problem in the slips. No problem with our '99 GCS and '07 T&C, both of which had ABS.
    Checking with my local dealer (off hours so the pesky salesfolk aren't hounding me) and spotted a fresh arrival. 2008 EX-I4. The car has 42K, but is astonishingly clean. The bright sill plates that say 'Optima' are unmarked as is the rest of the body. The leather is also in near perfect condition. Whoever owned this vehicle previously took apparently meticulous care of it.

No scratch marks on the scuff plate in the trunk etc., etc., My only concern is that the mileage is reasonable since the build date was 12/07, but I've never purchased a car with that high mileage before.

Will investigate and hope that it has the ABS/ESC features as well. It has the automatic a/c so there's a good chance that it has the ABS/ESC as I think that was part of the package.

Will let you know when I've checked into it a bit further.
    It has the automatic a/c so there's a good chance that it has the ABS/ESC as I think that was part of the package.

I think ABS/ESC was a separate package on all trims. But one easy way to tell for sure if it has ABS/ESC is to look for the ESC on/off switch on the dashboard. No switch, no ABS/ESC.
    It was on my 2006.5,but maybe it changed later.
    Hi Guys, I just got done bragging about my recent purchase of an Optima. I have now my first official problem. The A/C suddenly quit. Apparently it has some sort of a problem with the circuit that controls the compressor clutch. Shop seems to think it's the field coil, but I think that I will inspect it closer before moving on. I will get a multimeter and test for resistance on the coil and see if it is in range and move to checking for shorts from there. It was working perfectly on a drive home and started popping the a/c fuse in the engine compartment the next day. Oh well, it's still a really nice car.
    edited July 2010
    Maybe that is why it was traded in...good luck.Too bad you didn't get an extended warranty.Come to think of it,aren't you covered by the 50,000 mile warranty which is transferable.
    It's a 60,000 mile warranty.
    Yes, 60,000 is correct. Too bad I'm at 61,150... doh!!!
    Hey, one more question I want to throw out there. I also seem to be hearing a faint tapping sound from the engine area. I would be concerned, however it does not increase in frequency with engine RPM. So probably not drivetrain related. Any ideas on what would cause it.
  • gregtzapgregtzap Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I purchased a used 2008 Kia Optima with only 14,000 miles on it from a non-Kia dealer's used car lot in California about 14 months ago that is having exactly the same stalling problem. How was your problem resolved? The dealer we are taking it to for repairs says they can find nothing wrong with it. It is really dangerous and we will not let our daughter drive it anymore until it is fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    I just traded an 06 hyundai gl sport on an amazingly minty 07 ex 4 cyl. I traded for very little dollars & got leather/espt/tc/. The hyundai had a little smoother ride but the kia has a sportier suspension that handles a lot better. Gas mileage in both cars is/was mediocre at 33 mpg Canadian(28 mpg us gallon) at 70 mph. This is 100% hiway driving & both cars are identical even tho the kia has 1 more gear in the tranny.
    I had the same experience.I traded a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS with the 4 banger on a 2006.5 Optima EX with the leather package etc.etc. My gas mileage was much better than your on both cars.I think at 70 you lose a lot.I drive at legal limits (US) and most of the time they do not exceed 65.I consistently get over 30 MPG,even when there are stretches of 70 MPH ,in the calculation.At a steady 65 I have gotten as high as 40MPG.
    I definitely agree with you about the ride quality.The Sonata was much more comfortable,the handling,to me,seem comparable.I do like the dash layout much better on the Optima,especially the added tape player as I have lots of old tapes which I enjoy.Both cars,IMO,are very Nice and great value.
  • bmetelskybmetelsky Member Posts: 10
    The CEL in my 2007 Optima has been on and off frequently in the last month. It would sometimes come on after fueling with Speedway gas, so I stopped using Speedway. Then the dealer said it was a loose gas cap, so I bought a new one. Dang if it didn't come back on about a week later and was intermittently on then off for the last month. I took it in yesterday because of front end noise (a hollow knocking sound when going over small bumps). Had to have the front stabilizer links replaced ($150) and they said the CEL indicated that the OCV (Oil Control Valve) should be replaced (close to $300). I had a $25 coupon so my total bill was close to $400. I do have high mileage (100,500) but it is mostly all highway. I wasn't too happy when I left.
    After months of looking at beaucoup examples of Optima LX4's, I thought I'd run this one by backy. This car at a friends (non-Kia) dealership that specializes in lease return vehicles seems to fit my criteria.

According to Carfax, verified Personal Lease vehicle. Serviced by the same dealer from day one according to the Severe service schedule. My friend put on 4 new Falken tires and had the car checked out by the Kia dealer here in town.

The vehicle is spotless, 38K, with complete service records per carfax. Through an acquaintance of mine (Kia dealer), there is a document produced by sending the last six digits of the serial number to Kia for warranty coverage verification.

At $9800.00 it seems to be a good buy. Your inputs always appreciated.
    I am not sure that is a good price for an LX,but for an EX it might be.I would check the Blue Book if I were your friend.That mileage is pretty average for a 2007.I have a 2006.5 EX which actually is identical and have 44K miles.
    The prices in this area tend to run somewhat higher due to the scarcity of late model used cars. The Kia dealer has an '08, LX4, 29K. Original tires and quite clean that they are asking 11.3K for. EX's seem to be rare in this area. Once in awhile they do show up. They had an '08 EX6, 21K, that lasted one whole day on their lot. I will check the Blue Book for a better handle on pricing.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    I think Kelly Bluebook, unlike Edmunds and NADA reflects asking, not sales prices and is less accurate then the other two. Keep that in mind in checking prices.
  • robmanrobman Member Posts: 7
    My 2006.5 Optima EX just turned 100,000 miles and it looks and drives pretty much like new. In mixed driving, I average 26.1 MPG and my maintenance costs have been riduculously low. The 100k service was inexpensive and in all of those miles I have only had to replace my brakes (at 95k due to that WONDERFUL transmission), routine coolant and AT service, and replace the tires. All of my oil changes are free (a service by Lifetime Kia in Murphy, NC) and they treat me like royalty when I visit.
    I almost bought a Honda Accord but the 5-speed AT (and the $3 price difference) sealed the deal. Now, I'm a loyal Kia owner for life.
  • firewall1firewall1 Member Posts: 1
    I would have agreed with you until October 8, 2011. The engine failed at 75,864 miles despite regular oil changes and mostly conservative driving.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Any suggestions for a good tire for the 2007 Optima with 16" tires? Currently have the Hankook 714, which have pretty poor grip in wet weather (70% tread remaining)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mikekempermikekemper Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2008 Optima but no MPG indicator...My Caddy STS does though.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    I just purchased a 2007 Optima with 102k miles on it. I paid the fair value of Kelly Blue book price and the car is very clean and it does not look like an 8 year old car. My intention is that it will go another 100k. What do you think? Possible?