Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• shelbydudeshelbydude Member Posts: 90
    Buyers are currently paying $20k+ over MSRP. Dealers are still offering $10k - $20k over MSRP to get one for customers they have that want one. With Ford announcing they will be building another Shelby in Jan for mass production it will be interesting to see what happens. But the Shelby coming out in Jan will be like a GT350 with the 4.6L and have 335 HP. Unlike the GT500 with the 5.4L with 500HP. So I suspect the GT500 will still demand a premium. I seen a used GT500 sell for over $60k on e-bay already. The seller said he bought it to sell it. It had 600 miles on it and it was titled so it had to be sold as a used car. Still brought over $60k.
    I called my agent and was told the same thing. But they said it will be about $625 for 6 months. A lot less than I thought it may be.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I am currently paying $900 a year for my 66 Mustang with a stated amount $25K. I do have a high $500 deductible and for low mileage a year they figured 10% off in the $900. I am expecting some where around $1500, but it might be a lot more. I am having LO Jack installed by the dealer when it arrives so that should help me a little off the insurance.
    So are you wondering how the color choices are staking up on the Shelby? Here’s an update. As of today there is a total of 240 Shelby’s showing in stock at dealers across the US. 173 coupes and 67 convertibles. Most popular colors to least popular colors are as follow…..RED….52 Coupes…15 Conv….total RED 67…..WHITE….41 Coupes….10 Conv….total WHITE 51…..BLACK…..36 Coupes….15 Conv….total BLACK 51….VISTA BLUE…..17 Coupes….5 Conv….total VISTA BLUE 22…..TUNGSTEN GREY….10 Coupes…..8 Conv….total TUNGSTEN GREY 18……ALLOY….11 Coupes….5 Conv….total ALLOY 16……GRABBER ORANGE…..6 Coupes….9 Conv…..total GRABBER ORANGE 15…..I’m surprised the orange is the least number of colors showing up so far.
  • 7shlby7shlby Member Posts: 9
    Dealer ordered mine in April- Was shipped from Flat Rock to Woodhaven June 15-Arrived at Ky dealer August 3 and I picked it up August 5. Torch Red coupe-Currently in garage next to my '69 and'70 Mach 1 units. This car is all it should be.
    Why over the month and a half delay from Woodhaven to KY??? Mine was built 8/10. Says ETA is 8/23. Hope that doesn't mean I won't see it until Oct.
    Can't answer that. Just relaying the facts of my purchase. The dealer was actually kept in the dark until the week before delivery. Maybe this differs dealer to dealer or area to area. This was not a bid or unreasonable purchase due to over 20 years of personal and company vehicle purchases from this dealer and friend, so I accepted the fact that it when arrived it was mine to take home and time was not an issue. Hope yours and others arrive in the time frame expected.
  • shelbywiseshelbywise Member Posts: 21
    Mine was built on 8/8...My dealers ETA report started off saying it was to be there on 8/15...that has pushed to 8/17...I know for a fact my car is still in line @ Autoport waiting for stripes...I know of someone who's car was built on 6/16 and they just took delivery on 8/2...do the math. If you have a stripe delete car coming, perhaps it will arrive quicker but don't count on it. Depending on how far your car is being shipped (truck or rail), it may sit for quite awhile until they have a full load going in your direction. Just my .02 worth...
    Mine was built 8/11...said ETA 8/23....today the status showed released from plant with ETA week of 8/19. So they moved the ETA up by 4 days. I didn't get the stripe delete. So it will be interesting to see when it actually arrives. I suspect the first ones built in June may of been delayed some. Hopefully that has been taken care of now they are in the 3rd month of production on this car. We will soon know.
    I wanted to follow up on the white coupe Shelby sitting at Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree, MA. A co-worker sent an E-mail this past Wednesday to this dealership requesting their asking price. They responded to him today. Their asking price is $90K+, they doubled the sticker price. It seemed strange it has been on the show room floor for a week now, but after seeing their quote in black and white I can see now why it's sitting there. I'm sure this dealership is probably taking names and offers from interested customers, private bids, but I'm sure there is no way they will get their asking price. If they do then I just made $30K+ large before they even make mine. :confuse:
    There is stealership in Merced, CA (Razzari Ford/Mazda) that claims to be getting 3 2007 GT500's...All three cars will have an $80K mark-up...a month ago they were claiming to already have sold two @ $125K with one still available...Imagine that, one car for the price of three!!
    I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to pay $125k. Especially when you can buy them all over the country for $20k - $30k over. You can buy them all day on ebay between $55k - $70k.
    It's hard to believe, but I have seen a few dealerships on E-bay already selling their 2008 allotments. Ford announced their financial situation towards the end of last week and spoke of shutting down on some of their production numbers on some of their SUV and trucks. Before laying anyone off I hope they make my Shelby. Ford should change these lines over and make what the public wants, very fast Shelby's. No word yet from my dealership on a build date, however my garage only needs a few more sheets of T1\11 and paint. My corral will be ready. :)
    Just got off phone with dealership. My Shelby is scheduled to be built next Monday August 28th. My vanity plate is ready at registry and I only have to paint the outside of my garage addition it is finished. Everything is good. I also found out the cost of the new Lo Jack retrieval system, installed $1,295. I believe thats the best system on the market, if anyone knows different please let me know. Time for antique plates on my 66 coupe. :shades:
  • samudesamude Member Posts: 1
    I have been following E-Bay and they are not even being sold for over 58K. Is the mystic diminishing?
    Last time I checked the "completed" listings there were a lot that sold from $58k to over $72k.
    3,920 lbs 188 inches, both son and dad are doing fine. It's a chip off the ol block. Can't wait to take him home. ;)
    Found out a perfect driver, (that would be me) in the state of Massachusettes will pay $1,600 a year for full coverage with LO-Jack and a car alarm. Much more the closer you go to Boston, but that's OK they can afford it. I live in the Worcester county, pronounced Wista right next to Woonsocket pronounced as it spells, home of the Blackstone Valley famous dynamites. Life is good in the valley. :shades:
    There is a GT 500 Shelby currently on ebay with a present high bid of close to $42,000 over sticker.
    Curious have you received yours yet? I have read that the Shelby's are at a work stoppage, possibly for clutch problems. I'm going to call my dealership today and get an update on mine. :confuse:
    I just got mine yesterday! Yippeee!!! Built on 8/10. Arrived on 8/31.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Pictures?? When you're not too busy driving it, that is. You can load 'em up to your CarSpace page if you like, but we'd love to see them.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Pictures?? When you're not too busy driving it, that is."

Are you kidding? It's the Friday before a 3-day weekend... :shades:
    Oh yeah... I forgot that not everyone's life mirrors the pathetic state of my own. Enjoy the long weekend!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Well, I'm sure that if you had the keys to a brand-spankin' new GT500 burning a hole in your pocket, you wouldn't be sittin' around staring at a computer monitor either.... ;)
    Congratulations on your new Shelby. Hope you have good luck and many years of enjoyment. I spoke to my dealer this morning and he claims he hasn't heard anything about Shelby's being put on hold for clutch problems. He received confirmation that mine was completed and rolled off the assembly line on Wednesday Aug 30th. His Ford reps are telling him they should receive it next Wednesday Sep 6th. With the long holiday weekend it may not arrive on time, but it probably wont be too much longer for mine. Again congrats and have a fun weekend. :)
  • formergmcformergmc Member Posts: 6
    You will love it! Mine is a blast to drive!
    Just for you! I loaded some pics for you. These were taken at the dealership I work for. Since I had to work today and not much was happening I went out and took some pics for you. It's MEAN, LEAN, DRIVING MACHINE! Totally AWESOME!
    I loaded some of my white with blue shelby pics for equal time!
    http://www.carspace.com/shelbydude
    http://www.carspace.com/formergmc

Just so everyone else can enjoy - thanks!!! Those are really great pics.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

These are two nice looking cars. Thank you posting pictures. Mine is due in today, fingers are crossed. That Vista Blue is one pretty paint. I was going to go with it at first, but changed my mind and opted for the Alloy instead. I hope I don't regret. I have seen some pictures of the Alloy, but can't wait to see it in person. Maybe today.......... :shades:
    I have seen the Alloy and it looks great. You will love it!
  • kgfordkgford Member Posts: 7
    My dealership will be getting one red Coupe within the next month. It will be going for $69,000 anything less is what they are currently selling for at auction. Anyone interested check my profile and I will give you more info. :)
    My car arrived to the dealer yesterday...and w/transit damage to the front fascia and lower grille. It needs to go to the body shop for some tlc before I take delivery...nothing major, but its arrival is somewhat bittersweet after waiting nearly six months and knowing it was perfect when it left Flat Rock, MI...The transport co.'s don't give a chit about how these cars are delivered, just get them on/off ASAP and come back for more. They will pay for the repairs, but that is beside the point. So I'm looking at another week at best before I actually take delivery...and the beat goes on. :mad:
    Sorry to hear about the damage. I agree 100% about the nonsense we have to deal with when it comes to the shipping of these cars. Mine was built and completed on August 30th. The regional Ford rep to my dealership that the car should arrive to the dealership on Sep 6th. The last word I received about it's status was on Sep 8th that the car was still sitting in Michigan waiting to be scheduled for a train box. These cars are being sent out as if they were $9,000 Focus's In any event I'm glad to hear your dealership has received yours, but am very sorry to hear about the damage. :mad:
    Thanks for your concern. I went back the following evening to take another look @ my car. It's really nothing major...they had washed the car and roped it off on the showroom floor with DO NOT TOUCH/SOLD UNIT signs in the windows...I walked around it about 10 times looking for so much as a gnats [non-permissible content removed] to complain about...but couldn't find anything outside of the original damage. Hopefully your car gets handled by someone who cares about anothers car regardless of the price...I know these kinds of things happen, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.
    {Shelbywise}, hope you have your Shelby by now. I just found out today mine is still sitting in Flat Rock waiting for the clutch to be inspected before it's released for shipping. Might still be weeks away. Hope to see it before snow. Any members here that have their Shelby's have any trouble with their clutches? I read some posts a few weeks ago that some owners complaining that their clutches are slipping. The beat goes on and on........:sick:
    Unfortunately I have yet to take delivery :( My dealer is telling me I should get the car this Fri. 9/29. One of the bumper stripes was nicked by the transport co. and they were waiting for new stripes to arrive to the parts dept...Regarding your car and the clutch issue...I have read some owners are complaining about the difficulty in feathering the clutch on take off as well some odd vibrations in the clutch. I believe most of this has been deemed normal for the cerametallic clutch that is used in the GT500. I have a complete copy of the Pre-Delivery Instructions (PDI) that the dealer uses for the GT500. In the PDI it makes reference to the difficulties with the GT500 clutch due to its high performance nature...and goes on to explain that all of this is NORMAL. If you would like a copy of the PDI please email me at go5go@earthlink.net and I will email it to you. Hopefully your car gets released soon...
    Picked up Red GT 500 August 5. Front chin spoiler had very minor scuffs from hauler tie down.The dealer had already noted this and ordered a new one which I have received.
    The clutch is a little different than my other vintage Mustangs, but not really a problem. I have 900 miles on this car, have nailed it a few times, and probably only done 3 or 4 " hole shots " with no slippage or vibration.
    My only complaint is the surface rust on the axle housings.
    These were probably stored outside, and are were not painted. They are now! Also the brackets the traction bars attach to were very rusty. Removed, sand blasted, and powdercoated.
    My dealer called me an hour ago to let me know that my Shelby was cleared and sent out of Flat Rock last Thursday. He is expecting it this Wednesday. Why he didn't have that info for me this past Saturday is beyond me, but right now I am quite excited. Question, are you having any trouble with your clutch? I don't expect it can be any worse than my 3 speed in my 66 coupe. HA! HA! Hopefully we'll both be taking ours home this Friday. :shades:
    I'll have to check under mine when I get it. Thanks for the info and also the info on your clutch. Question anyone know of a good product to use to get the ultimate shine? I usually buy stuff to clean at Wal-Mart, but want to make sure I do a real good job on my Shelby. :)
    Get yourself a Zaino Polish Kit on ebay or try www.zaino.com It's the best stuff on the planet(IMHO) a bit priceee but well worth the $$ for your GT500...and used by many a show car detailer.
    What do they mean by waiting for new stripes to arrive? They are not decals. They are painted on stripes. If anything, they would have to repaint it.
    shelbydude...I hate to burst your bubble, but the stripes are 3M vinyl...the crack and peel stick-on version. Ford opted out of painted-on stripes due to their cost. The huge bottlneck @ AAI is in the striping dept...they have 4 guys doing the stripes on ALL of the GT500's...They are able to do about 4 cars/day. There are now a bunch of cars sitting in lots waiting for stripes. Any Joe-Blow can go his local Ford dealers parts dept. and order a GT500 stripe kit for his 2005-07 6 cyl. Mustang...I figure in a couple years there will be more GT500's on the road than were ever built.
    I I finally received the call I have been waiting for yesterday afternoon. My Shelby arrived at the distribution train center 20 miles from dealership yesterday afternoon. It will be arriving at dealership this morning around 9:00am. Hope there's no damage from shipping. Dealer told me LoJack will be there first thing to install it and I should be taking her home early afternoon. I will be at dealership at sunrise to get plenty of photo's of her being unloaded from truck. There predicting heavy rain, but that's OK. No chrome to polish like my 66. I will figure out how to transfer pictures from digital camera to Edmunds and will include pictures of my 66 coupe side by side. I have asked Edmunds moderator to move discussion group from present future location into permanent Mustang discussion group. So just in case it moves to it's new location wanted you all to know where it has gone. :shades:
    Did you get yours today? Mine arrived at 9:15am and was driving it home at 2:30pm. The clutch will take a lot of getting use to. It is very hard to feather first gear. It feels like the clutch is pushing against my foot saying lets go. Only took it to a little over 3000 rpm's for first drive. Hope you received yours today. I took 100 photo's this afternoon and promise to post them tomorrow. This car was well worth the wait and money. ;)
    Congratulations on taking delivery! I'm going to pick-up mine @ around noon today. The dealer told me yesterday it was there, but I had tickets to a baseball game last night and I didn't want to miss the game or p/u the car in the dark. I too will post some pics once I get it home and settled in...Thanks ;)
    Got it!! Took delivery about 1 pm yesterday and proceeded to drive it about 40 miles. What a beast...well worth the wait. The clutch going to take some getting used to with all of its sounds and the manner in which it is released, but this car wants to run! I too kept it mostly around 3K RPM's with one nearly 4K burst and it really sets you back in the seat. I made about three stops and it really draws a crowd. I'm really looking forward to getting a better understanding of this car...
    That is great news. You have waited a while for it and congratulations. I was going over the owners manual and found it does not reference anything on the Shelby, or it's options. Strictly Mustangs and their options only. There is a small booklet included that discusses options, dash gauges, engine capacities, etc for the Shelby. There was a flashing arrow that kept blinking and I found out that is an option when the car wants you to shift up, gas conserve. I have 100 miles on it in two days and like you said it is turning heads everywhere I go. Have you smelt anything that resembles something burning on yours. I get that smell when I shut it off and get out of the car. It's probably the engine and exhaust heating up for the first few times. The dealership I bought mine were a great group of people, but I had more knowledge than all of them put together about this Shelby. I need to continue to read and learn all those options that we have. My wife is going to help me later today and download a few of the pictures I took the past two days. I'm not to how you say up on all the new gizmo's and I know that it shows just how old I am. This car is everything I hoped it would be, and more. :shades:
    Mine had that burning smell at first. Just curious, what color were your dash lights set at compared to the color of car you got? Mine is set in Blue which matched the color of the car. I was curious if the factory is setting the colors to match the car's color or if they all come set in blue. The my color feature lets you set the dash lights to a 125 different shades of colors. That arrow that lights up is for telling you when to shift. You can set that to use the arrow, or it can be set to make a sound or set to light the arrow and make the sound. You can also reset that and adjust it to come on at different RPMs to fit your driving habits.

One thing I noticed is that crising between 70 - 80 MPH it feels like only 40 MPH. At a 100 MPH it feels like 60 MPH. At 130 MPH it feels like 80 MPH. This baby just cruises at 100 MPH like it was made to be driven at that speed normally. 130 MPH is the highest was able to get up to before other cars getting in the way and having to back off.

It does want to just GO! It can be a pain driving in traffic. It wants to just get up a go and with to many cars on the road it can be a pain.

Right now I'm averaging just over 15 MPG which seems pretty good for this car. At first I thought it seemed like a real gas guzzler but I guess that is due to having a much smaller gas tank than I'm used to filling. I had 208 miles when I last filled it and it took 13.6 gallons.