Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    You can read/download the EPA mileage guide (2007 and 2006 editions) here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

The 2006 guide shows:

tC ................................................. A-4 ..... 2.4/4 ....23/31 ...$1,530
    ..................................................... M-5 ..... 2.4/4 ....23/30 ...$1,530

There would be a "P" to the right of the figures if the car in question required Premium fuel - and there is not.

The xA got:

xA................................................ A-4..... 1.5/4 .. 31/38 ..... $970
    .................................................... M-5..... 1.5/4 .. 32/37 ..... $970

And the xB:

xB................................................ A-4..... 1.5/4 .. 30/34 .. $1,066
    .................................................... M-5..... 1.5/4 .. 30/33 .. $1,066

There is also a spot on the web page for other to share their real world numbers:

at this link

this should give you a better idea of what to expect (just over 20 city, it appears).

If you are tired of paying a lot for gas, I would suggest finding an xA or xB - not as sporty as the tC but returns better real-world numbers. Gas prices may continue to climb and regular may soon exceed $3.69 per gallon.

You should also check with your insurance agent before deciding what to buy - I would bet the tC will carry a high price to insure. It is a couple and the target market is one that has a lot of accidents :sick: .

Dennis
  • lingnanlingnan Posts: 7
    Talking with my insurance underwriter, a comprehensive policy, comparing to a 2006 and 2008 model xB, the premium goes up by 80 dollars annually. But judging at the standard equipment list on the 2008 model, it definitely worth it.
    The "new box" does not much interest me. I got the "old box" for the style (and cheap price and high MPG) and the new design does nothing for me.

I know the new box will have more power and more stuff, but I have not seen any pricing so I wonder if they can deliver more for the same money (another thing attractive about the old box) ? Also, with gas going over $3 per gallon I wonder if the new box will get as good in the mileage department? I would doubt that.

To each his/her own, though :D

Dennis
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... I have not seen any pricing so I wonder if they can deliver more for the same money... Also... I wonder if the new box will get as good in the mileage department?..."

About $1,500 more and 5 mpg less.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    "I think that the ScionXb is the ugliest car ever made, designed, etc.It looks like a mini milk truck.I wouldn't buy that car for a dollar, I wouldn,t own that car if you paid me".

So why are you on the Scion forum?
    This is from a quick look and poor memory. :cry:

I believe the HP is 156. EPA estimate is 23/28 mpg. Body edges are more rounded and much softer looking. Sides. top and hood all blend together with no visible trim dividers.
    Seems the price was in the neighborhood of $18k.

Because of the rounded edges the car does not seem as "UP RIGHT". There seems to be a bit more rake on the windshield.

Instrument cluster is long horizontally and short vertically and resides in front of the driver.

I was on the right side of the car and it all happened quick, Sorry I don't have better info.

Kip
  • hachapmanhachapman Posts: 4
    I might be over anxious about this, but I have a new tc that is only getting about 18-20 mpg in the city. The frustrating thing is that I bought it to replace a 9 year old pontiac that was getting 20.

Does it get better? Does anyone remember the milage they got when their tc was brand new?
  • With the first 75 miles on the new 08 XB I drove the computer says it is averaging 21 mpg (this is in down driving only thus far)--I'm sure this will improve with breaking in (total miles on car: 150--75 put on by me since Saturday when I bought it). I'm not overly anxious at this time--my previous car 02 Suzuki Vitara got around 18-20 and I expect this to be much better overall after it has been broken in.
    Which engine and transmission does your car have?

Kip
  • My new xB is an automatic with the standard 2.4 4 banger engine. Now I am just over 200 miles on it as of this morning and the computer registers gas average at 23.3 mpg---I have not driven it on the highway yet--just back and forth to work and around town--generally going between 35 and 45mph (with a 3 mile or so stretch at 60mph each way to work). I only imagine the mpg to improve.....
    Probably not going to happen. The new motor is a good bit larger than the old and is thirstier. Most folks can't get what the EPA reports, but using their numbers to compare the two cars shows the 08 at 22 mpg city, 28 highway, 24 combined. The 06 shows 26 mpg city, 31 highway, and 28 combined.

I get 27-27.5 commuting in my 06.5 box (about 4,600 miles on the clock) so I would expect if I had the new 08 xB I would get 23 mpg or so.

Your mileage may pick up a little as you break the car in, but I don't see you getting anything close to the first gen mileage numbers.

You have the power, us first gen xB owners have the style and the fuel economy :D

Dennis
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,525
    I have a stickshift xA, and I have power and economy but not a lot of style. I guess for all three you need a 2007 base MINI?

• bing8bing8 Posts: 11
    Mileage is very important to me and I hope the new XB can deliver that great mileage. I would welcome any information on real mileage of the 08 XB Automatic.

I'm trading my Camry Hybrid for the '08 xb with delivery scheduled for next week. Probably the only person in the nation to trade a Camry Hybrid for an 08 XB. The Camry Hybrid got 34 city and 34 highway. (EPA 40/ highway and 38 city)It never did get to the 40 city. The mileage was disappointing to me but the Camry Hybrid is a spectacular car in all other ways however...gadgetry, ride, power, looks.

Hope the XB can get close to 30 all highway..even though the EPA in 08 revised numbers is 28.
    There are almost no cars (maybe none?) that when driven "as normal" can exceed EPA numbers - even the new numbers. There are some that can match the numbers and most (as you found out) that can't meet the numbers at all.

Why on earth would you expect a car that EPA's at 28mpg to top 30?

Sure, if you change your driving style you may be able to get to or even exceed EPA numbers - but 99.9% of the folks on the road are not going to enjoy driving like that, which is why I said "as normal".

If mileage were my #1 concern, I would keep the Camry or get a Prius. If you got to have an xB, get a first gen example used. The 08 xB just does not make sense for someone who is coming out of a car that gets 34/34 real world - you are are going to be at the pump a lot more.

Dennis
  • bing8bing8 Posts: 11
    Dennis
    Why would I expect Epa mileage 28 from the 08 XB you ask? Well..My previous 3 Toyota's (before the Hybrid purchase) all V6's, met or exceeded Epa Highway mileage. There is no reason for me not to have expected epa 40/38 from the Hybrid. I need more room ... the main reason to trade the Hybrid for the XB. Batteries take up more room and present a barrier when rear seats are folded down.

Until the Hybrid's become plug-in's, there are gas cars that meet (Yaris to name one) or beat Hybrid mileage.

And...by the way My test drive on the 08 XB computer showed 38 (Thirty Eight) highway with a strong tail wind. Very strong tail wind. Indeed I expect 28mpg from the XB highway.
    Bing
    As stated above, If you drive "AS Normal" you may not reach that 30mpg. However, If you drive with economy in mind you may achieve your goal.

We exceed the EPA with our two vehicles. Well....I do.
    My wife is at or slightly below. We have different driving styles. ;)

Kip
  • It's amusing to see someone else with this unusual combination of vehicles (Honda S2000 & Scion xB). I purchased what was probably the last black 2006 manual transmission xB to ship to the Bay Area (my vehicle was manufactured in December 2006). So far, I've consistently averaged 30 mpg. For me, driving is more about having fun than about worrying about mileage, so I'm usually accelerating hard, playing with the surprisingly slick shifter, revving the xB's willing little engine and enjoying its rorty engine note. That kind of fun is worth missing out on the extra 3-5 mpg that the ****-retentive hypermilers claim to get with their xB.

I also drive my Honda S2000 the same way and still manage to consistently get 25 mpg with that vehicle. (How Honda managed to make such an extremely high-performance vehicle so fuel-efficient is truly incredible.)

I feel Scion made a mess of the xB with its redesign for the 2008 model year. The vehicle appears to have become "PT Cruiserish" and in doing so has lost most of its appeal. If I had the garage space, I probably buy another 2006 xB and just put it in storage.

While the first-generation (2004 - 2006) xB and the Honda S2000 are about as different as two vehicles can get, they are both classics that put a smile on my face every time I drive them. Caviar for the general...

I got my for a my "snow day car" based mainly on the style - and the cheap price, good MPGs, Toyota reliability, and strong resale value. The final thing was the fact that the xB version 1 is no more, but to replaced later this year by a redesigned 08. I am glad I got mine when I could, the new car (to me) loses all the charm of the original and it truly ugly . They have made it larger and are using the running gear from the Tercel/tC rather than the punier Echo drivetrain of the first gen boxes. That is big plus, but probably will result and lower MPGs and likely will come and a good bit higher price than gen 1 sold for.

My last tank I got a little over 27 mpg commuting. I had less idling this tank and with each tank it is getting a little more "broken in". Still not a world beater, in the S2000 doing the same commute I get 23-24 mpg and get 14-15 mpg in the RX-8. The ScoobyDo Legacy wagon I traded for the box (with 100k+ on the clock) would only get 23mpg on the same drive. With four snow tires, the box did just fine on snow days this winter.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Looks much more polished and not as tinny as the '06, which I didn't consider. I fully expect to buy a xB for X-Mas. :)

The Camry uses the same engine, and weighs about 300 lbs more. The gearing could be different, but Scion does not provide much of that information.

Camry's 24/33 numbers should go down to 23/31 for 2008. The aerodynamics of the Scion are nowhere near the .28 of the Camry, doh. That might account for the hwy difference. :blush:

DrFill
    The S2000 was singled out (with a couple of others) as a car that consistently exceeded EPA numbers in the CR tests. I drive mine as intended (like I stole it) and get 23-24 mph commuting to work. The older 01 2.0l S2000 I had got the same mileage as the newer 05 2.2l motor - amazing.

I had a used Subaru for a "snow day" car and in the past had tried to talk both my wife and my daughter into getting an xB (I failed - they chose an Accord and a Civic). When I learned that the first gen xB was going way I waited until I could get a great deal on an 06 and traded my ScoobyDo in for one.

I drive it pretty hard, but it IS an automatic - I needed something others could drive if they needed to borrow it. So far around 27 mpg commuting and if I putted along I would think close to 30 might be possible. No road trips yet, but I would expect over 30 easy.

Dennis
  • Yes, the S2000 is an incredible deal. For $30,000 you get great looks, possibly the best shifter ever put in a production vehicle, a convertible top that goes up or down in around seven seconds, made-in-Japan high-quality construction, Honda's legendary reliability, econocar fuel efficiency, a great engine and flawless handling. Yet somehow, Honda is having problems selling these vehicles despite their bargain basement price. Put a Porsche label on the hood and the pretenders would be lining up to buy it for twice the price...

I recently took my S2000 on a run up the Pacific Coast Highway to Mendocino. I wish every S2000 owner would have the opportunity to drive their vehicles away I do. It's sad to see so many S2000s in The City puttering around with their tops up and a yuppie behind the wheel.

How much did you pay for your xB? Since there were only two vehicles configured the way I wanted (base, black, manual transmission, with no options) left in the Bay Area when I purchased mine a few months ago, I didn't have the time to negotiate much of a deal. I paid MSRP, but I got the dealership to throw in the TYC tail light assembly for free. I was surprised to see how much the tail lights transform the appearance of the xB - they're probably the only Scion accessory I've seen worth buying. I later bought the (ridiculously overpriced) TRD leather gear shift knob and that will be the last change I plan on making to my xB.

It's too bad that you had to get the automatic. The shifter on the five speed is actually pretty slick, and its fun to hear the car growl as you rev the engine. One problem with the five speed is that because of the gearing Toyota chose, the engine RPM are way too high at highway speeds. The constant droning above 70 mph gets annoying if you don't have the stereo on. I rented an automatic from a local dealership last year and found that while it's nowhere near as fun to drive, the engine was a lot more relaxed at highway speeds. Even with an automatic, the xB is easily the best vehicle in its segment.

Too bad Toyota went and butchered the xB's styling for 2008. The PT Cruiser/HHR look and the Dodge Magnum-styled gun turret windows should have immediately received the thumbs down... Toyota never used to sacrifice practicality (or safety) at the expense of so-called styling, but looking at the massive C-pillars (and blind spots) of the FJ Cruiser and the shrunken windows + big C-pillars of the 2008 xB it looks like they've decided to cash in on whatever styling fad du jour seems to be selling to clueless consumers.

The S2000 was singled out (with a couple of others) as a car that consistently exceeded EPA numbers in the CR tests. I drive mine as intended (like I stole it) and get 23-24 mph commuting to work. The older 01 2.0l S2000 I had got the same mileage as the newer 05 2.2l motor - amazing.

I had a used Subaru for a "snow day" car and in the past had tried to talk both my wife and my daughter into getting an xB (I failed - they chose an Accord and a Civic). When I learned that the first gen xB was going way I waited until I could get a great deal on an 06 and traded my ScoobyDo in for one.

I drive it pretty hard, but it IS an automatic - I needed something others could drive if they needed to borrow it. So far around 27 mpg commuting and if I putted along I would think close to 30 might be possible. No road trips yet, but I would expect over 30 easy.
  • Just passed the 500 miles mark on the new xB--average now (mostly city but two trips on highway) is now 25.5 on the automatic--getting better by the day!
  • stpericstperic Posts: 12
    I have passed the 250 miles on the new xB (AT) - average 26 MPG with city driving only. Better than I expected!
  • rovertonroverton Posts: 20
    2008 xb. Just purchased an xb, white, and took in on a 360 miles trip. Ovrall gas milage was 30.1.
    I am very please.
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I am closing in on 35,000 miles on my '05 Scion xB and I am averaging just under 34 mpg city and around 31 mpg highway. I am getting an aftermarket cruise control installed soon and will be taking another extended road trip in a week. It will be interesting to see if the cruise control will provide better highway economy. I know it will make for a more comfortable trip.
    The cruise may or may not improve mileage, especially if you leave it on going up hills. It will depend on the road you're on, etc.

• ronhawkronhawk Posts: 2
    I'm getting almost 34 mpg on long trips and almost 26 in everyday driving. This is the first car that has gotten better mileage than EPA for me. I don't know if I just lucked out, but the trip mileage is almost as much as I get on my Suzuki motorcycle.
    A lot depends on how you drive, too. I can vary my mileage an easy 10-15% depending on how I drive my xA.

• ronhawkronhawk Posts: 2
    I drive at or usually a little over the speed limit and don't baby it at all. I do tend to watch the gas mileage showing on the trip computer, so maybe I am turning into gas saver. Either way the gas mileage has greatly exceeded my expectations.
    If I stay at 65 mph or slower and practice anticipating traffic flow, I can get up to 39 mpg.