Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Patriot: Styling Impressions

2»

Comments

• clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I forgot to mention the back door window in the new Patriot. Has anyone noticed, it is made in two pieces with a vertical window channel separation of the two pieces of glass, just like the last(84/02) cherokee.

They should brought back the Cherokee name for the Patriot because that's what it is.

CK
  • pegacornpegacorn Member Posts: 6
    Yep... The Patriot is indeed bigger than the XJ (85-02) Cherokee... but then again, so is my 01 Honda CR-V ;) .

SUV's have grown larger. As noted, the XJ's were not very large. There are almost no SUV's left on the road smaller. The Wrangler is shorter, but heavier. Even the RAV4 is larger now. The Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage are perhaps the only true compact SUV's left!

Look at these specs:

84-96 Cherokee 4 door (from Consumer Guide):
    Wheelbase, in.----------101.4
    Overall Length, in.------166.9
    Overall Width, in.--------67.7
    Overall Height, in.-------63.8
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------2955

2006 Honda CR-V
    Wheelbase, in.----------103.3
    Overall Length, in.------181.0
    Overall Width, in.--------70.2
    Overall Height, in.-------66.2
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------3428

Now, the 2006 Jeep Liberty
    Wheelbase, in.----------104.3
    Overall Length, in.------174.4
    Overall Width, in.--------71.6
    Overall Height, in.-------70.2
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------4011

And, just for comparison, the original 93-98 Grand CHerokee:
    Wheelbase, in.----------105.9
    Overall Length, in.------179.0
    Overall Width, in.--------70.9
    Overall Height, in.-------64.7
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------3614

The CR-V is over 10 inches longer, and almost 500 lbs heavier. The Liberty is a bit longer, though in both of these cases the spare tire accounts for a good amount of the length. Also, note that the Liberty has gained over 1000 lbs., 4 lbs in length, and 6 inches in height. Still, both the current Liberty and CR-V are almost the size of the original Grand Cherokee.

What has happened is a shift in how we view SUV sizes. In the 80's and early 90's, an S10 Based blazer, Jeep Cherokee, or Ranger-based Explorer passed as a midsize, while smaller vehicles such as the Suzuki Samurai and sidekick represented the compact end. We have forgotten just how small the XJ's truly were! At least, those of us who have never ridden in the back seat of one!!!

The (02+)Explorer, Grand Cherokee, and Trailblazer are all a size larger than their predecessors. Compact SUV's have grown to take their place, leaving an opening below them. Even the little Sidekick grew into the larger Grand Vitara! The Patriot has the potential to be the only off-road capable SUV in this this market, while offering the styling that made the Cherokee so popular for so many years.
  • stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    I love the idea of it being a revitalization of the Cherokee, but if I am not mistaken, it is based on the Caliber and compass CAR platform. How truck, or should I say JEEP like will this thing be?

I am not an off roader, but like the stiff, up high, rougher ride of a real SUV, not the padded down socker mom trophy car. I love my 03 Grand Cherokee, but like new things every now and again. Would this new machine even come close to what the Jeep linage has been pre liberty?
  • gljvdgljvd Member Posts: 129
    Its tough to say . First you have to look at its price range. Its price range is 15-22k I believe like the compass . However this will be the more off road version while the compass is the soccer mom version.

Its all going to come down to how well the freedom drive 2 works .

Sadly my cherokee is slowly dieing and I doubt it will last past this fall. So I have to buy soon and nothing is coming close to my old jeep. I'm hoping this will and whats nice is it will be a good 5 grand or so less than the cherokee when my father bought it new in 1994 and for the price I will get alot more inside (leather seats , chlilzone cooling , 60/40 seats in the back , keyless entry , sunroof , decent stero )
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    One spec that is conspicuously absent is towing from the Patriot press release is towing.

If it's the same as the Dodge Caliber, which it's based on, then that means only 1000 pounds—which is lousy. The Cherokee, properly equipped, could tow 5000.

Bob
  • stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of the Patriot--perhaps a name that is less meant to lure us to buy the vehicle based on national pride, but I am just wondering if this thing will really be as good of a deal/good of a thing as we are making it sound... The price and that hype seem almost too good to be true, I am hopeful, though!
    If it's the same as the Dodge Caliber, which it's based on, then that means only 1000 pounds—which is lousy. The Cherokee, properly equipped, could tow 5000

Perhaps the caliber was designed around towing with the smallest engine which is the 1.8 . The power train may also play a part in the towing capacity.

The patriot is using the 2.4l engine . So perhaps we can get a higher capacity.
    Sorry to hear your Cherokee is dying. When it dies, if you love it. Go get an 2001. I think that was the last year. That 2001 will go at least as long as your 94, with was 12 or 13 years. So you will be good until 2013 or 2014! That should give you a lot longer with the good old Cherokee. (many, many cherokees are still running well after 20 years, so you may have your 2001 past 2021.

I think the Patriot is going to replace the old Cherokee quite nicely. I don't want something bigger. I like the size of my 91 Cherokee.

And to the gentleman that has the CRV. I had one too. You can't compare any CRV to a Cherokee. If you took any CRV off road. It would get stuck when it got to any mud over 6 deep" or snow got over a foot deep! and they would power out with 13" of snow. No low range. An awd Subaru will run circles around a CRV.
    My CRV went into passing gear at 65 any time it started up a 2% grade! You can't drive a CRV in Montana without it being in passing gear 1/2 the time. and that's on a level road! :)

The CRV is an all wheel drive for ladies who don't want to get stuck on road with an inch or so of snow on them. :)
    eh , I don't really want to go with a 5 year old car . Who knows whats been done to it over those 5 years .

I want a new toy to play with and break and fix and break and fix ...
    Hah... Sure you can compare a CR-V to a Cherokee. Do you know how many of the XJs were sold with only 2 wheel drive and open differentials? While it had the potential to be a good off-roader if outfitted correctly, it was also very popular as a road vehicle. In the southeast in particular, it's comparitively rare to find a 4x4 Cherokee, but of course, this isn't so in the midwest or Rockies. Hell, look at how many Wranglers never see dirt!*

The CR-V is for folks who want some characteristics of an SUV (high driving position, ability to drive on flooded roads, good traction when the roads are slick, versatile interior with plentiful cargo space), without the downsides that come with a vehicle such as the Cherokee; for example, sloppy driving dynamics, stiff springs, solid axles, and numb steering. The XJs were truly awful on paved roads, much like the TJs, but these same liabilities became assetts offroad.

*I owned a Wrangler for a while, but decided that with the infrequency that I left paved roads, it wasn't worth the terrible ride or squirrely handling. I'm sure I'll be run out on a rail for saying this, but I'd love to see the open top, doors off customizability of the Jeep implemented on this chassis. Rather than the Compass which essentially is a Patriot with curvy styling, make a short wheelbase, open top, unibody FWD/AWD vehicle with the traditional Jeep soft top, or even a semi-soft-top setup like the old Amigos and Sidekicks.
    I sure don't know what your smoking, but it isn't made out of rice!

I have a wrangler and a Cherokee and I'd take the ride and handling and road ability of both of those over a CRV (which I also owned) any day! Both of my Jeeps will go places your CRV couldn't even try.

That being said, You couldn't even drive your CRV in anything over a foot of snow here in Montana. My CRV would power out all the time.

As I said before, the CRV is for ladies who don't want to be stuck in and inch or two of snow.

I have driven my Cherokee 1991 on a 4k trip this summer. Great ride, great seats, plenty of power, lots of room.

It just comes down to the fact that here in the west there are lots of places I would feel uncomfortable going in the winter in a CRV for fear of getting stuck, should it snow. I take a Jeep. That way I know I'll not usually get stuck.

Very unusual, but once we had over 48" of snow. Yes 4 feet! It took me several hours and three sets of chains to get down my 1/4 drive. But with low range and 2 sets of chains on the front and one on the back of the Cherokee I got out. My 4x4 Subaru with a low range got 6 feet! IN IT'S LOW RANGE. No power. A CRV wouldn't have had a chance. I know they were not built for that type of snow, the Jeep wasn't either, but the Jeep got out. It took some time. Back and forth, snow was over the hood but it did get out. So the CRV is not an option if you really want a 4x4 you can trust to get you out or get you home in the winter in the west. + the CRV is built with the structural integrity of an aluminium beer can!. Don't tell me it isn't I had one. Maybe the newer ones are better but my 2001 was nothing more than a beer can on wheels.

Even my wife thought it was the most unsafe car we ever drove. If the CRV is good for you, Great. It's
    just not strong or powerful enough for the mountains :)

Also used CRV's sell for about 25 under book out here. So they are a good buy for those ladies that don't want to be stuck in the snow. :)
    I'm not sure why you're telling me about life on the road to Larry, Darryl, and Darryl's house.

The CR-V is NOT, I repeat NOT an offroad vehicle. I thought that was a given, but you seem to be arguing with a your straw man perception of my post. So, lets take it down the line again.

CR-Vs are NOT offroaders. A Cherokee or Wrangler cannot:

- Approach 27+ mpg on the highway, save for the early models of the XJ with the Renault sourced diesel.

- Carry passengers in the same comfort. Less legroom, awful back seat (no headrests for Chrissake!), small trunk with tire intruding on space, bulbous center hump through entire vehicle, narrow doors.

- Offer same road experience. Awkward ergonomics (they were still using 80's GM-style controls until at least the 97 models; that was replaced by Neon-esque interior which lives on in almost identical form in the '06 Wrangler)

- Offer the same supple ride. The solid axles of the Cherokee are not the choice for a compliant ride. They are jittery on rough surfaces, though not as bad as a leaf-sprunk axle under an empty pickup bed. There's a reason that solid axles are not used in passenger cars anymore. They are crude and unrefined... for an application which requires extreme strength, they are marvelous. For a road vehicle, they are terrible.

- Offer the same steering feel. The XJ's used recirculating ball steering, with a very slow ratio for maximum precision in precarious tracking, and with extra play and numb feedback to keep jarring impacts from transmitting from the tires to your wristbones. Once you touch pavement, the steering is absolutely horrendous. Get out on the highway, and whip the wheel to and fro through about 5-10 degrees of rotation. Pure slop!

The CR-V, on the other hand, is slighty more adept than a typical FWD car in nasty conditions. I don't live in Montana, and barring outbreak of nuclear war, will not. I don't like dealing with the snow in the suburban midwest, being a native sun-belter. You can see from our geographic origins alone that we are looking at two entirely different concepts of a vehicle.

For you, an all-terrain capable SUV is a necessity to claw over the river and through the woods of America's Siberia. To me, it's a suburban street car with some extra capabilites for weekend fun. To you, a crossover ute is a wannabe that can't handle your daily needs. For me, it's the perfect best-of-both-worlds blend. It is all the advantages of the SUV form and packaging without the liabilities.

You keep talking about the mountains, but there are no mountains here... my Honda has seen mountains twice, and they were pansy Appalacians as experienced on a dynamite blasted interstate grade. It doesn't matter if there is snow piled up, as the plow will be here before I leave the house! ;) I could just as easily drive a car, except:

A - the CR-V does better on ice. Not avalanches of snow, but simple freezing rain. Chains are irrelevant... they are banned in this state because they are not needed and damage roads.

B - I traded in my pickup, and I need the space to haul bulky items. With the seats folded flat, I have a great deal of space.

C - At 6'2, I don't have much headroom in short cars.

Don't get the impression that I am slamming the XJ either. If you have the need for what is essentially an ATV with a weathershell, it is hard to beat. Every single issue which makes it a poor street vehicle allows it to shine in rough conditions. It's on-road performance is simply wretched, and with the large numbers of 4x2, 4 door automatic XJ that were produced, it was clearly most often bought as an alternative to a passenger car, not as, well, a Jeep.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Caliber also has the 2.4 engine as well as a turbo 2.4 engine. Regardless, don't expect a 5K tow package. I hope you can get an optional 3.5K tow package though.

Bob
    HOw about this. I agree with almost everything in your lastest post. I do however feel that my cherokee is a very good comfortable tons of room highway car. But when we need a real highway cruiser, we have a grand Cherokee also. The wrangler is really for fun. I agree not a real traveling car.

The CRV VS. Jeep is not a true test, as they are two completely different rigs.

You might take a look at the new Patriot. Has all kinds of new stuff for a very good highway ride. Roll midigation<sp. etc.
    The Caliber also has the 2.4 engine as well as a turbo 2.4 engine. Regardless, don't expect a 5K tow package. I hope you can get an optional 3.5K tow package though.

Yes but the 1.8 is standard . I would expect the power train and towing set up to be built around that engine instead of the 2.4 and turbo .

I doubt we will get 5k , however I think we will get more than 1k .
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I think the Rabbit would be a good choice if you don't need or want AWD. VW's reliability is supposedly not as good as it used to be, but they make very impressive interiors and ride quite well. A Rabbit diesel would give you great mpg. I really like the idea of a 5 door GTI with 2.0T and DSG, but that is pretty pricey.

The Patriot isn't really a good choice for a FWD vehicle, plus the gas mileage is fairly low probably under 25 combined.

I was interested in how the Elantra was going to turn out, but upon it's unvieling its a bit bland looking and I don't like the modest 4AT and 2.0L engine, they should have gone with a GEMA engine.
  • werm9werm9 Member Posts: 8
    is there anything about gas milage results on either the patriot or the compass?
    I think the compass is going on sale around june or july so we should get info on that soon. Mabye the end of may .

I'm going to assume its close to the same as the caliber with the 2.4 l engine , the low 20s
  • werm9werm9 Member Posts: 8
    its somthing they should have released when the specs went public. i think it was somwhere in this forums i read that it may get up to 30mpg. car and driver reported a 21.5 mpg average/ the caliber which is basically the same thing as a compass engine and transmission wise. and it being bigger and heavier it should acutally get worse gas milage than the caliber. worse than 21.5? no ty jeep. i was actually going to buy a caliber but afte car and drivers results i won't be getting one now
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    and CVT2 automatic are 23 city / 26 hwy. The Patriot with the same engine and a 5-speed manual trans should be close to those numbers, perhaps even slightly better.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    Well, I think the Patriot looks great. Jeep really did well, plus, it and its twin, the Dodge Nitro, have a Class III trailer towing capacity. Thats great. I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia that I only drive so I can tow my boat, and I want to get a smaller SUV. These are the only two that I know of capable of towing the Chapparall. I'll definently be giving these two a look.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    The Dodge Nitro is the twin of the Jeep Liberty, not the Patriot. The Patriot is based on the same platform as the Dodge Caliber.

I highly doubt the Patriot will have a Class III trailer towing rating seeing as the most powerful engine available will be a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder.
  • jeffo04jeffo04 Member Posts: 1
    On Jeep's page at one time they had preliminary estimates to a 2006 EPA test of 25/30 MPG, more than likely for the FWD model, but still better than I thought
    Hmm not as good as I would hope . Well actually I can live with 22/27 with the 4wd .

I think my 94 cherokee gets something like 14/16 now if even (yea its a piece of poo) so i would end up saving alot of moeny and having roughly the same amount of room and features of my old jeep.
    How do you drive your 94? I have a 2001 GC with the 4.7 v8 and get 22 mpg at 65 on the hw and 20 at 70.

I have a 91 Cherokee with the 4L and get 22 at 75 on the hw and 23 at 70.

The 91 gets about 18 in town and the 2001 GC gets about 16 in town.

I'm not a great driver. I'm probably like most drives. How do you get only 14 and 16 mpg? Unless you have the 360 V8?

CK
    I think its years of abuse to the engine that is causing the problem. Aside from that I have a huge lead foot. Allways speeding off from a stop. I normaly get 240-250 miles to the tank. I forget off the top of my head how large the tank is
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    When is the Patriot due to be in dealers lots? They started making them 3 weeks ago, and it really has not been much in any news. The new Wrangler made news the day the testing production started. I think the Patriot will do much better sales than the Compass.

Farout
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    As someone else mentioned the off road 4 wheel drive doesn't come with a manual. Don't understand why this is the case. The AWD does have a manual.

CR tested the Caliber and it only averaged 22mpg with the 2.4 engine. If the Patriot weighs more, as I would expect with the 4 wheel transmission, mileage should be worse. Also the fit and finish wasn't that great nor was the noise. :confuse:

I'm looking for an inexpensive vehicle with a manual 4 wheel drive low gear with average mileage and decent reliability. Not sure this exists.
    slingshot80. Your looking for a manual 4X4 with H/L trasfer case and average milage.

:Your talking about the new Wrangler! I don't know if the 4 Dr. comes with manual and the transfer case but I bet it does. That is your car!!

CK :)
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    The Patriot starts production Oct.9th and will be in dealerships in November according to the latest information I have seen on the Web.

The Patriot will be marketed towards people who want an economical 4 cylinder vehicle with a maximum tow capacity well below the 5000 lbs capacity of the 6 cylinder Liberty. While the Patriot has an 'old school' square Jeep look, the Compass is for those individuals who want something more stylish, modern and 'rally car' inspired.
    The Patriot has a maximum towing capacity of 2000 lbs, providing the vehicle is equipped with the available trailer tow prep group option; otherwise the towing capacity is 1000 lbs.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    frostyy: We have been looking at travel trailers, and even with our CRD Liberty it's only rated at 5,000 lbs. The only camping trailer that the Patriot might be able to tow would be a very very small popup camper. That's IF one is made that small.
    Towing should not be something a person would buy this Patriot for.

Farout
    The 2000 lb towing capacity would be suitable for people who simply want to tow a standard flat-top trailer with a snowmobile or ATV or motorcycle/small boat or perhaps a small tent trailer and so on....The Patriot could handle this with no problems...

....for those who need a vehicle to tow a large camper or large boat...the Liberty or G.C./Commander would be the way to go....
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    I read that the low range on the Patriot is actually a super-low mode on the CVT transmission rather than a seperate group of cogs. That's why the manual doesn't come with it. It sounds like a neat idea - just make that infinitely variable ratio transmission go a little lower than normal driving would demand.

An inexpensive, not too low mileage manual with low range would be the outgoing jeep wrangler 4cyl model. I don't think the new one has a 4 cyl because its quite a bit heavier.
    By the way does anybody know what kind of engine braking you get with a CVT? (Isn't that the whole point of low range - to coast down steep hills without using the brakes.)
    Update: patriot production now set to start Dec. 11 and go on sale early 2007...
  • skierx420skierx420 Member Posts: 22
    Engine braking on the CVT is similar to a manual. Not quite as pronounced as a manual because of the your physically preparing for the feeling after you let the clutch out when you downshift on steep terain in a manual transmission SUV. As I have driven both the Compass and the Caliber I expect the Patriot engine braking will be very good, just not quite as good as the Low Range mode will not let you operate past a certain ratio. I am certain its engine braking will be much better than my 1989 Ramcharger I use for offroading with its 727 Automatic with its non lockup torque converter. I hope this helps.
    Patriot production finally started Dec. 20th
  • wendyowendyo Member Posts: 1
    I am in the Washington DC area, and I located 2 dealers in the area that had the car - this is a HUGE area and I found only 3 Patriots - not even the largest dealers have them yet. I found a red one in Springfield, Va, a crummy little dealership being renovated, but the salesman was very nice. Went for a test drive and took some pictures inside and out of this cutie. I have to say it is the best looking small SUV out there!! Looks very African safari in the front end. It's small, but it didn't feel cramped, though one complaint was the shape of the seat cushion it flares up on the sides so if you have anything but a small butt, lol, you might find it a little uncomfortable. It held the road well and was easy to drive - but my main complaint was that the engine is very noisy and underpowered. VERY noisy. I am used to driving a Toyota Sienna minivan which is super quiet inside. I think the engine is too small for the car, but if you don't expect a peppy engine and aren't in a hurry, I guess you could live with it. The interior on the one I drove was pretty spartan, and the fabric on the seats seemed a little cheap and flimsy. I drove the 2x4 not the 4x 4 and the sticker price was 19,010 (base price 14,425). Gas mileage is rated at 24/27. I like the Grand Cherokee better overal with the larger engine, but the foot/leg position in that care is fatiguing, so I guess no Jeep for me :-( I will enjoy watching them on the road though because they are so cute. :D

Wendy
    Ha! That's funny. I feel the same way about some cars. I'm attracted to them because they're so cute but I often feel like it would be better to enjoy just looking at other people's rather than buying one myself. I think the Ford Ranger pickup is the cutest and I love researching them but I really have no use for a truck. But I enjoyed helping my friend buy one. He even let me drive it!
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    "I'm looking for an inexpensive vehicle with a manual 4 wheel drive low gear with average mileage and decent reliability. Not sure this exists."

Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4, 3.7L V6, 6-Speed Manual Trans, decently equipped at $22,875 before options or freight, EPA 18 mpg city/22 hwy. I'm holding out for the redesigned (Cherokee-ized) '08 model...
  • djp_63djp_63 Member Posts: 10
    I posted this on the Compass Forum also:

I have been a Mopar fan for years, owning several Dodge and Jeep products over my driving career. I have been anxious about the Caliber since I saw the early pre-production pictures. I waited, watched and read everything I could to see how they would hold up, especially the CVT. Then I saw that Jeep was coming out with a Cherokee sized vehicle that delivered decent mileage; so I decided to wait until I could see that. But first I had to wait for the Compass to come out first. I never warmed up to the looks of the Compass, and honestly, I think the Patriot is going to outsell it 3 to 1.

With intent to finally buy, I began to test drive my interest and the competition so that I had a point of reference. The Caliber and Patriot stayed right at the top of list the whole time. They both looked good, had good crash ratings, good mileage and were priced well. With Patriots arriving, I found myself taking turns driving a sport appearance Caliber and Sport Patriot. In the in end, the Patriot had a better interior, outer body hardware, more room, bigger engine and future better resale. I still like the Caliber, but the interior was light coloured and was already scuffed up on the lot. It also had some plastic trim along the roofline that would degrade in a few years in the Florida sun. I was so glad to have them side-by-side and happy with my Patriot.

My first fill up yielded a tad over 27 mpg, which was mostly mixed highway. I am 6'2 and 180 pounds and the driving position is great. I like the Yes Essential fabric better than the leather, and the darker interior plastic seems to be good and cleans easily. The CVT is very nice, and the motor seems powerful, but a little pokey off the line but still strong. I was used to an straight six in a Cherokee. The long-term reliability of the CVT is my main concern though, but that withstanding, I really like the Patriot.

DJP
  • ikastunikastun Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I'd like to know the water fording capabilities of the 2008 Jeep Patriot 4x2? I'm not planning to take this vehicle to the outdoors, it's just that when it rains heavily on my home town, you have to cross several flooded avenues on your way home.

I've read that the 4x4 model with the additional off-road package provides and extra inch of ground clearance (from 8" to 9") and a water fording level of 19 inches, but it clearly says that it has to do with some "extra sealing" a feature present only with the off-road model.

thanks

-pastor
  • skierx420skierx420 Member Posts: 22
    I checked out the specs myself and there is no specifics for a 2WD Patriot and water fording depth. The 19 inch recomendation is because of the location of the fans for the radiator. The electric fans will fail in deep water. 19 inches is pretty deep to begin with. A 2WD Patriot could be safe to the bottem of the electric fans and the air intake location. I would get the 4x4 with the offroading set up myself but I do spend time off the beaten paths. Hope this helped.
This discussion has been closed.