Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Equus

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Signature: $58,000 + $900 destination
    Ultimate: $64,500 + $900 destination
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    About $10-12k too much for a Hyundai. Does Hyundai really think I'll spend as much on their car as I would on an LS460? LOL
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    You must mean a used LS; new they start at $65,380 + $875 delivery.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Hate to tell you this but the LS costs a lot more than the Equus. Also I looked at both practically side by side and the Equus is a much better buy than the LS IMHO. A test drive of each may solidify or change that opinion, but as for now the LS has nothing on the Equus other than a name.

So if you want to pay more for a name be my guest.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Maybe not you, but someone who is rational and doesn't mind saving $10-12k on an LS460. By the way, did you know that to get an LS460 with everything that comes standard on the Equus you would have to spend $10-12k more? Talk about value for your money.
    A challenge? Certainly. A formidable challenge, especially to the European makes? I think the jury is still out on that one. A major challenge based on price, I agree. Also it appears Hyundai hit the marks on luxurious interior appointments, especially in the rear on the Ultimate, and a comfortable ride (based on latest reviews). Engineering? Nothing that seems to stand out in a big way above competitors (albeit they cost a lot more). Powertrain is not exceptional for this class; that will change this spring with the 5.0L V8 and 8-speed tranny. Handling seems decent from reviews, especially compared to the likes of the LS460, but how about the S Class and 7 Series? Electronics, safety, infotainment... all competitive, but exceptional for the class?

I have no doubt Hyundai will sell all the Equuii it wants to in the US--the sales targets are reasonable for a new and very expensive car. But I don't think Hyundai has created an equal for the S Class and 7 Series yet. Maybe an equal to the LS. If so, I think that is a great start, especially given the price differential.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Hey Kenb757...the same thing was said about the Genesis too! ;)
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, and I wouldn't buy one of those either.
    To each their own. I've had a '02 Sonata (put 105K miles on it in 4 years), currently have an '06 Azera with just over 95K miles (going on 5 years) and neither car has offered any problems. Build quality is solid, durability and dependability has been equal to or better than any Toyota I've ever owned. You can best believe, I'll continue to climb the ladder into a Genesis (holding out for the 5.0 model). If I had the money to climb into an Equus, I would bypass the Genesis and get one. It's a very impressive car for the money!!! :shades:
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Lots for the money, but bottom line-it's still a Hyundai. Will probably sell the 2-3,000 goal that Hyundai USA has, but won't really crack the Lexus, BMW, M-B, Jaquar, etc. tier.
    BTW, I was one of the many who had problems with Azera and finally dumped it. Tried three 2009-10 Genesis models and even with special discounts just couldn't see buying it.
    In 4-5 years will be looking again and will check out Equus to see where it is, but not there now.
    Hyundai is trying hard, but needs a better product line at the upper levels.
    Motorweek will have a test of the Equus on Saturday November 6th. Broadcast on KERA (no commercials).
    Yeah...that's what they said about the Genesis too, it's still a Hyundai and it seems to be holding it's own right now. If that's the only thing that folks can say at this point...they are doing something pretty doggone good.

Honestly...until you actually go look at the Equus, you can't say they aren't there yet. I spent some time inside of an Equus (pre-production) and it was extremely high quality all the way around. From the suede headliner, supple leather and real wood trim. Everything in and about the car screamed luxury that would expect from the likes of Benz or Lexus.

Trust and believe...Hyundai has arrived, it's just a matter of people accepting & admitting it. ;)
    edited November 2010
    Would love to see one and test drive one, but they have never been shown in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson SC and Asheville NC area at any of the six or so dealers.
    Have requested info. from Think Tank on one being shown in this area, but apparently no plans to do so.
    So I have to base my opinion on what Hyundai has on its website, website and magazine reviews and Think Tank. Some reviewers agree with me.
    Based on October new car sales, I don't think the Genesis is threatening M-B, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. Maybe Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Lincoln but doubt it. It has succeeded in making its own small niche in its price/performance/equipment bracket.
    People have not accepted it yet. :)
    Pretty hard to accept or not accept a car that isn't even for sale yet. Although I've read the first year's allocation for the US has already been pre-sold. I guess THOSE people have accepted it. :wink:
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Ken,
    I saw the Motoweek review on PBS and they were very lukewarm about the Equus. They were turned off by its exterior styling (too boxy and staid) and they complained about the interior's cheap plastics for a car at this price point. They thought the interior did not have a unified design theme and the analog clock looked out of place.

Frankly, from what I read on this thread and elsewhere I was expecting more. Instead I was assaulted with a dated mid 1990's design posing as a modern luxury automobile. As to comparison with the 7 series or the S class, the Equus is two iterations away and lags the Audi A-8 by a considerable distance.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited November 2010
    Here's a link to their review...

Equus review on MotorWeek

Not completely 100% positive, but not as negative as the tone of your post implies.
    edited November 2010
    The people at Motorweek were kind and did not want to offend or hurt Hyundai's feelings so they use polite and diplomatic words. If you got a review like that from your boss (or perhaps you are the boss) I wonder how you would interpret it? It short, the Equus is what it is, a first rough draft of a luxury automobile.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    they complained about the interior's cheap plastics for a car at this price point.

I had the opportunity to sit in one last winter at the Chicago Auto show. I can't say that the Equus interior was any "cheaper" than any other luxury car that I had sat in at the show. Did Hyundai change the interior material since then?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

To me, the review seems mostly positive, with a few negatives:

* They think the exterior styling is too conservative. Well, everyone's tastes are different. Many people like conservative styling in their sedans. But in the next sentence, they say the car "exudes sophistication" and note its "presidential profile". Doesn't sound like damning statements to me.

* They seem to like the interior overall (they write at length about the seating accommodations) but note "plain gauges, an abundance of hard plastics, and the unremarkable face of the analog clock". Another reviewer might praise the plain gauges for their simplicity and visibility. Note they didn't say "cheap plastics", but "hard plastics"--as every other car south of a Rolls or Bentley has these days. Maybe they'd like Roman numerals on the clock.

* Ride/handling wise, they say it's better than the Lexus LS, but not as good as the German competition. So there's room for improvement, but not too shabby for a first effort, to better one of the class standards.

The main negative they raise is the prestige angle, which is getting pretty old, ala: "It has a Hyundai badge." Oh, really? What a surprise! I thought it was a Packard or something.

If someone can't get past the badge, they won't give the Equus the time of day. There's buyers (like the tens of thousands who have bought a Genesis) who have gotten past the badge. Maybe someday car reviewers will review the CAR, not the piece of chromed metal on the trunk lid. Otherwise maybe we should change the name of some of these publications, e.g. BadgeWeek, Badge & Driver, and Badge Trend.
    Agreed. People need to understand that automagazine journalists review of cars is based solely on their opinion of that particular car not society. And we as consumers should not let their opinion affect the way we see a particular car. There are consumers out there who could care less what kind of plastic is in a car as long as it works and looks good to THEM. Sure you can take what they say into consideration, but leave final judgement to your personal preferences when you sit in and drive the cars for yourself.
    Lashawn...it's just so much easier for consumers to jump on the backs of the so called "reviewers" because of their expertise in the auto world/industry. Instead of going and finding out for themselves...they can just repeat everything they've heard or read.

I have sat in the new Equus (pre-production) and from my point of view, the car is lovely inside. I've been inside Mercedes, Bimmers and Lexus sedans and to be honest...I feel that the interior of the Equus can stand up to them. Folks just have a hard time swallowing the fact the Koreans are capable of producing fine cars like the Germans & Japanese.

It's amazing how a few folks that post in the forums are quick to be negative about a Hyundai, but when you actually drive one out in the real world...the response is just utterly positive. The usual response, "Is that really a Hyundai?" Then when they actually get a chance to ride in or drive one, "I can't believe that Hyundai made this."

Then there's the expectation that it's supposed to ride & handle like a BMW, Benz or Lexus just because it's a luxury car. The fact that a reviewer stated it rode better than the Lexus LS, it's still not good enough because it's not better than the Benz or BMW. Everyone will have their nits to pick, but the fact that it's up there period...should be good enough. Bottom line...go test drive one for self and see if it fits in the line of how a luxury car should feel on the road. ;)
    They seemed to like it. I learned a couple of things:

* Wear items like brakes are included in the 5 year/60k warranty. That seems pretty exceptional. Are there any other brands that have an all-inclusive 5-year/60k warranty?

* The seatbelt tugs on you if you fail to react to the other lane-departure warnings. The electronic wizardry in today's cars boggles the mind...
    Considering the makers that have all-inclusive warranties, it's a good move on Hyundai's part.

Hyundai is starting to learn what it takes to be taken seriously.
    Big Bang Theory: Hyundai Juicing Up V8, Prepping Loads of Cool Fuel-Saving Tech
    But how many automakers offer 5-year, 60,000 mile all-inclusive warranties on some/all of their cars?
    Volvo offers a 5/60 all-inclusive warranty.
    But Volvo offers nothing to compete with the likes of the Equus, S Class, and 7 Series.
    You're right, they used to have the S90 as their flagship, but now the only thing they have is the S80 which is along the lines of the Azera really.

But the question was, what other makers are offering a 5/60 all-inclusive warranty.
    Jan issue of MT is COTY issue. Equus considered, but did not even make finalist. In fact, it "scored" lower than the Toyota Avalon. "Not there yet" as a luxury player in their opinion.
    They mentioned suspension and engine as issues. Suspension just seems to keep showing up in Kia and Hyundai vehicles.
    Per the article, the "base" price is $58,900. Interesting how the price continues to go up. If I remember correctly, it was originally supposed to sell for less than 50K?
    MT had 3 main objections to the Equus:

1) Not enough power for this class. That will be remedied in 2011 with the 5.0L Tau with 429 hp.

2) Suspension. Specifically:

On Hyundai's high-speed 6-mile oval, the Equus was borderline frightening to drive at 120 mph. As Lago noted, "[The Equus] got downright nervous in excess of 100 mph. Felt floaty in places the competition didn't even notice.

Conclusion: if someone plans on driving his/her luxocruiser above 100 mph, the Equus is not a good choice.

3) Back seat footrest--someone over 5'5" would bump their feet on the front seat. Note the footrest is only on the up-level Ultimate trim they tested. The "base" trim doesn't have that. Unless you plan on being chauffeured around, the base trim at $58k is probably the better choice.

BTW, I don't recall the base price of the Equus ever being officially noted as being under $50k. Might have been some wishful thinking you saw? Here's what MT said about the Equus' price (and they tested the fully-loaded car)--emphasis added by me:

That's how the automaker can sell a car with $100,000 worth of features for just $65,400.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1101_2011_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_co- ntenders_and_finalists/hyundai_equus.html#ixzz17BMpNLG6

P.S. The new 5 Series and Infiniti M (and the Avalon) were "only" Contenders also, like the Equus... for shame, for shame!!
    edited December 2010
    Yesterday I went to the New England International auto show and I was very impressed by all the new cars and SUV models.

My favorites:
    • Infiniti M56X, the seats are the best I've sat in and everything is just well laid out. The exterior styling is forgettable though.
    • Lincoln MKS, wow! Big, powerful, refined and full of technology...it even reads text messages.
    • Jeep Grand Cherokee--without a doubt, the best designed and refined SUV out there. The fit and finish and quality of materials are beyond anything Chrysler, or for that matter any manufacture has offered before.

Buzz:
    • Nissan Leaf -- smaller than expected, the car was locked so we could not touch the console or surface material quality. Nice cockpit and well laid-out though.
    • Chevy volt -- looks good from a distance as we couldn't get near enough to touch it.
    • Cadillac CTS-V -- I saw middle age men salivating over themselves
    • Chevy Camaro -- In lime green it raised the testosterone level of teen boys about 20-fold
    • Kia Optima -- best new exterior styling this year. The proportions look perfect

Disappointments:
    • Hyundai Equus -- looks bloated and lethargic, dated styling inside and out. High quality materials on door and seating surfaces.
    • Honda and Lexus -- nothing new, generic styling, in short boring cars.
    • Low gas mileage on most vehicles, 17/24 mpg seemed to be the norm

Surprises:
    • Very large crowd at the 5-day show, although we are supposed to be in a recession. Oops! I forgot, the recession is over according to Bernanke.
    • Hyundai had the most impressive display and line-up of vehicles. It has emerged as a top manufacturer with admirable styling and dependable vehicles competing in every segment. From the entry level Accent to the Elentra (new and full with standard features) to the hybrid Sonata to the mid-luxury Genesis sedan/Coupe and to the ultimate in luxury the Equus. In 20 short years Hyundai has turned the auto industry upside down.
    Anyone interested should read the actual article.
    When car was first mentioned as being planned to come to US, prices were estimated to be under $50,000. Of course, this was about 3 years ago.
    My personal interpretation of the comment on suspension is that if MT had a concern at 100 MPH in their short review, it would be indicative of concerns for many at much lower speeds.
    It is a very good car when price is considered. But it is not the perfect car.
    I agree about reading the actual article--which is why I posted the link to it.

If price were no consideration, I'd get a Rolls Royce Ghost. From what I've read about it, it seems like heaven on wheels.

If MT has a concern about the Equus' handling below 100 mph (i.e. at speeds mere mortals drive), I am sure they would have said something. They might have even pulled out Ralph Nader's famous phrase: "unsafe at any speed."
    When I first heard about the Equus, it was stated to start at $50k not under. Anyone driving around on city streets or highways for that matter, need their a$$e$ kicked. They will endanger more than themselves and that is not the Equus or any luxo-cruiser was made for. Besides, to question a car's suspension one would need to judge it in the 50-80mph range which is where most if not all people drive. Right?
    Anyone driving around on city streets or highways for that matter, need their a$$e$ kicked.

Wow. That's a LOT of [non-permissible content removed] kicking. (wink)

Or did you mean, people driving around on city streets or highways (in the USA) at 100+ mph should have their a$$e$ kicked?
    It's obvious that Hyundai can't engineer a smooth riding suspension system. When the Avalon rides better than the Equus, I wouldn't waste my money on the Hyundai.
    edited December 2010
    Fox Propoganda Network knows nothing about anything, much less anything about cars. Did Rush Limbaugh drive it to the nearest all-you-can-eat buffet, or that dowager of dinginess Glenn Beck, or maybe that brunette mental midget Sarah Palin? And Fox's Car of the Year is?
    edited December 2010
    Don't know why folks think that Hyundai is incapable of a smooth riding suspension. My Azera has been VERY good over the course of the almost 5 years I've had it.

I recall one review saying the suspension of the Equus falls between that of a BMW & a Lexus. For the life of me...how can that not equate to a pretty good suspension???
  • edvigedvig Member Posts: 1
    Equus supposed to be released to dealers at the beginning of November. They are delaying it every week since. I suspect that there is some problem they've found and are trying to fix it. Does anybody knows more?
    Edvig
    edited December 2010
    See January Motor Trend p 50. Maybe the Equus will ride better with Rush Limbaugh in the back.

The Azera doesn't ride nearly as smoothly as the Toyota Avalon.
    Just received an email from Hilton Head Hyundai of Hardeeville, SC to come in on Dec. 21 to check out the new Equus. Can't wait to see it in person.
    I got to see the Equus is person and sit in it, let me tell you from my point of view it is a remarkable looking car. The look, feel, fit and finish of details inside and out were of very high quality. I only wished I was able to test drive it. I talked to a lady that actually bought the first one the dealer got in. She told me her husband saw it on the transport truck with a cover on it that said Hyundai Equus on the side, so they turned around and followed it to the dealership and bought it without even test driving or anything. Didn't haggle about the price just stroked a check and came back to pick up after the PDI and delivery clean. It was the Signature model and I forgot to ask them want they paid. They've had it about 7 days now and said there loving it, at least the husband is because the wife said he won't let her drive it because she has a lead foot.
    I got to check out the Equus Ultimate edition while visiting in Austin, TX. A local dealer had one on the showfloor. They had been allocated 2 and sold the other one. The sales rep I talked with said they are not allowed to sell their remaining car until they get another one.

The Equus was a grey Ultimate trim, black interior, $65k and fully loaded. The car certainly looked every inch the luxo-cruiser, and the rear seemed to be a real nice place to hunker down on a long trip. But it seemed impractical for all but executives who want to be driven around by someone else, with the big center console in back. A nice flagship for Hyundai, more for "look what we can do" vs. sales numbers. Also it gives them a platform to introduce new features into its cars that could eventually trickle down to lower-priced cars.

An impressive vehicle, but I was more attracted to the more mundane but practical Elantras and Sonatas on the showfloor. And one could buy all three of them--Sonata Limited, Elantra Touring SE, and Elantra Limited sedan--for the price of the Equus.
    Did anyone else see the comparo between the LS and Equus in the February C/D? Interesting to see these two cars compared.
    I have that issue, but have not read the comparo yet. I will when I get home though.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Did you choose your new car because of the infotainment technology features it offered? Might you be tempted to replace a used car that feels out of date from an infotainment technology standpoint? If so a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, January 25, 2010 with your daytime contact info and a few words on the topic.
    From the sounds of it...the Equus is a pleasure to drive!!!

Long Term Tester Blog for Equus
  • gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 3
    So anyone actually put down $60k for a hyundai yet? if so I want to hear your reasoning, there is also a bridge in my backyard that leads to brooklyn I am looking to sell.
    According to HMA, 683 Equui have been sold in the USA through the end of February. Maybe if you contact HMA's marketing group, they can put you in touch with some of these folks so you can make your sales pitch for the bridge.
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    That's a pretty arrogant statement. I'm sure a certain percentage of those "foolish" Equus buyers avoided the prestige brands if for no other reason than to not be associated with the social climbers. But $10K is pocket change for the luxury of being able prance into the fluffy Lexus dealer for a round of miniature golf and cappuccinos, while pretending to own 1/2 the town. Right? Maybe a few of those folks would be interested in that bridge you have for sale.