Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Equus

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I'm wondering if that Tau 5.0 engine could see it's way here to the U.S. market in a top of the line model???
  • 02_sl500r02_sl500r Member Posts: 2
    American S classes only come in longwheel base
  • 02_sl500r02_sl500r Member Posts: 2
    "it won't win and wouldn't even with a separate luxury brand and for many in this class, that's what counts"

I'm sure the mass majority of the car industry thought Toyota would NEVER be able to pull off what it did with lexus. FACE IT! The asian culture is renowned for taking what other countries do and making them BETTER and cheaper. I have no problem with this. As they say, "All is fair in love and war." In this case, war is business... Show me one person in 1990 who thought that the company who makes a trecell and a celica would be able to branch off with another company and sell vehicles that cost upwards of 60,70,80,90 and even 100K... I'm sure definate that you didn't! :shades: :P

Hyundai has more than a fighting chance. They have the automotive industry buy the balls and it's just a matter of time before they squeeze! ;)
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    "Hyundai has more than a fighting chance.
    They have the automotive industry buy the balls and it's just a matter of time before they squeeze!"

:)

Do you actually really believe that? :confuse:

Gee whiz. I seriously hope not!
    All the big automobile maufactures including Government Motors are simply shacking in their boots. :(

I hate to think that the American Automobile buying public will start to accept
    such poor quality automobiles as my 2007 Hyundai Azera has turned out to be! :lemon:

:D
    I hate to think that the American Automobile buying public will start to accept
    such poor quality automobiles as my 2007 Hyundai Azera has turned out to be!

I disagree with the whole notion that Hyundai has the industry by the "jewels", but I will say they are staking a serious claim.

Is your 2007 Azera truly a car of poor quality or is it simply the quality of the ride you have an issue with?

I would hate to think that one would base the quality of a company's entire line-up based on a single vehicle.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's stick to the Equus here please folks. There are more appropriate places for the non-Equus conversation, as you know.
  • geechheemangeechheeman Member Posts: 6
    Went to preview at Holler Hyundai Orlando. Staff eagerly solicited comments. Mine were as follows' lose the winged hood ornament, lose the black pimple camera on central grill rib, replace winged hood ornament with rear trunk badge, use black area on the badge for camera. Less orange peel finish on paint. Other than that, watch out Lexus, Infiniti and BMW.
  • SwennySwenny Member Posts: 1
    Having just returned from a two week trip to Seoul, I was amazed at the number of Equus Limos within the city. Absolutely a beautifully crafted machine. Having owned the BMW 7 series, just can't wait to see this in the US. Bring it on!

Regards,

JCS
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    They have an Equus at the Hyundai display at the Chicago Auto show. All I can say is "WOW" This car is nice and has everything but a kitchen sink. Very roomy front and back, even the back seats adjust. It was such a nice car. I will post pics soon.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Snake, gonna post those pics?

edited February 2010
    Thanks man, I'll check your site. Love the retro hood ornament, takes me back to my youth. What was your impression of the car?
    I was very impressed with the car. Very comfortable roomy in the back as well as the front. The back seat makes me wish I could afford someone to drive me around. Back seats are fully adjustable, the back of the front seats have a little table you can prop up for a work surface if your in the back. Over all very very nice.

edited March 2010
    Yes, yes...yesssssss...very beautiful car indeed. I had the pleasure of sitting in one while it was at a dealer close to me. Pictures do the car no justice to be quite honest.

You failed to mention that while the rear seats adjust (recline back), they are also heated & cooled. There's a rear seat entertainment center that flips up from the front center console and controls are nestled in the rear center arm rest. I am 6'2" and I adjusted the driver's seat for my driving comfort and then climbed into the rear seat behind it. The back of the front seat was at least 6" away from my knees (which were in front of me in legs closed position). In the Genesis, it was like 2-3" difference. In my Azera, I have to sit with my legs apart for the seat back to be about 1" from my knees.

The trunk has a power trunk lid, vanity mirrors that fold down from the ceiling for rear occupants, suede headliner, heating/cooling vents all over the place and a cavernous trunk. The feel of the car inside is truly above that of the Genesis 4.6 Tech...which says a lot because that interior is nice, but the interior of the Equus is clearly head & shoulders above the Genesis as well. The Equus is also equipped with an adjustable air-ride suspension

It is indeed a very beautiful car and I can't wait to see them on the road...better yet, one in my driveway!!! :blush:
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    they have one in the doral hyundai in Miami fl. I went there to get the recal on my Azera taken care of. This car is Awsome!!!! I may be the youngest Azera Owner , and i love it but as soon as i am done with the Azera i hope to be one of the youngest Equus owners. The car is flawless in my opinion. Inside and out. I have driven sl600, 740il, and lexus... Equus is on the same level in my opinion. Cant wait to drive it
  • sooththetruthsooththetruth Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2010
    I haven't seen an Equus in person, but the photos pale in comparison to the new Infiniti M's that have a style not seen in anything cheaper than an Aston Martin, and the M56 will have more power than the Equus. The interior of the Equus, in particular the back seat, looks fit for a king, but I think the M surpasses the beauty for the driver.

Just opinions, and from photographs, so take it for what it's worth.

Honestly, I like the looks of the Genesis better, as the Equus hood ornament is too "over the top", and the third box (trunk area) of the Equus is almost Cadillac/Origami-like with the sharp edges. Also reminds me of late design Q45 in the rear, and screams "I've given up on style, and just want the value". There's a reason Infiniti has put that Q45 out of it's misery. They really have turned the corner with the new M. If I hadn't just bought the Genesis, I would have to look at a V6 M over the Equus.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    I disagree. M is not selling well because it has crappy ride, awkward styling, and it is overpriced.

read any latest M reviews. none of them are positive. and honestly, i think it is too bulbous. it just looks like a bigger G. no wonder Acura still outsells Infiniti.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    edited May 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O5QnSLdeE&feature=player_embedded
    Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?

Look how impressive Equus looks against the King, S. Equus stood its ground against the mighty S. I actually like Equus in some angles.

some snapshots
    http://tinyurl.com/ycrtuso
    http://tinyurl.com/y8q5oad

Infiniti M looks like a bigger G with absolutely zero road presence.

http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/m37/2011/2011-infiniti-m37s-full-test-and-vid- - eo.html

It's been seven days. Seven. And nobody has noticed this 2011 Infiniti M37S we've been driving. Nobody. Not our neighbors.

Yes, it's a subjective matter, but even people in the Infiniti board are not impressed with the new design direction of Infiniti. I would gladly buy loaded Equus over loaded M56 and save 10 grand. that's just me.
    Soothethetruth...trust and believe, pics don't do the Equus justice. I had the pleasure of seeing one in person when it was at a local dealership.

In regards to the new Infiniti M56...yes, it will have more power than the Equus with the 4.6 V-8, but there is talk of Hyundai coming out with a 5.0 V-8 to possibly go in a long wheelbase version. Speculated output of the 5.0 would be about 425 hp. Insideline did a good write up on a comparo between the Infiniti M56 and the Benz E550.

One big difference is that Infiniti's goal is to create a sports sedan whereas the Equus will truly just be a luxury sedan. The M56 is going up against the likes of the E-Class, 5-Series and cars of that ilk. The Equus on the other hand is going head to head with the S-Class, LS & 7-Series.

In the end, it boils down to preference and certainly...everyone will have their own opinion. Hyundai certainly has come a long way in the style department, Infiniti is actually just now starting to do what they should have been doing all along.

Hate to say it, the fair comparison would be between the Infiniti M's vs. The Genesis sedans.">link title
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Some pics show a vertical grid type grill and some show horizontal. Which is it going to be. I prefer the horizontal.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I disagree with you, respectively. Your right to a point, the M doesn't sell well overall because of the lack of refinement in ride quality/road noise and the price of the M56! The M37 without the sport suspension is more reasonably priced and has much reduced noise level compared to the 56 with sport tires/suspension!

The M does not have awkward styling, in fact most have praised the new body style and the interior as excellent and much much better to the styling and interior it replaces and now is up to par with its current competition from BMW, Lexus, and MB!

The problem is, the E and 5 are much better bang for your buck and refinement compared to the M. The problem is, Infiniti improved everything with the new M compared to the old, but they didn't do nearly enough and it will age terribly quick considering the redesigned A6 and GS will be out in another 1-2 years, and another refreshing of the 5 will come!
  • sooththetruthsooththetruth Member Posts: 40
    Soothethetruth...trust and believe, pics don't do the Equus justice. I had the pleasure of seeing one in person when it was at a local dealership.

Just saw the Motoman video, and view of the Equus impressed me.

I stand (humbly) corrected. Now I wonder if I should have held out for the Equus.\

Though, like Motoman, I still think the hood ornament is Over The Top. Mercedes has one, sure, but they break off, and they're SUBTLE. This is too Rolls like.

Next time. :)
    Well...if you liked the video, an in-person peek will take it over the top for you. I do agree...I'm not wild about the hood ornament, but hey...it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Sitting in the driver's seat made me totally forget about a hood ornament. LOL :D
    Anyone have an idea when the Equus will be in dealers' showrooms?
    If they do things like they did with the Azera & Genesis, it would be in the showrooms at the beginning of 2011 (Jan/Feb).
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    No, I think it's more like Nov/Dec 2010.
    Nov/Dec is when you can expect to see a showroom example show up, but don't hold your breath in thinking you'll be able to purchase one till maybe Jan/Feb. This is exactly what happened with the Azera and the Genesis when Hyundai first rolled them out. Maybe they have learned their lesson and will do a better job with the Equus, but I think there's a method to their madness. Bring in a few, create a demand for them and folks start snatching up the ones they can get that are available. Once they've accomplished that...then they start bringing them en masse.

We shall see though...the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011 will be here before we know it!!! :shades:
  • ffeelliixxffeelliixx Member Posts: 2
    The US Equus will not have the hood ornament, and it will have the horizontal grill. It will also have the Hyundai "H" on the back. Shame on all three counts in my book, but I still like it.

Go to www.hyundaiequus.com and go to the gallery. I believe these depict the North American Equus with the exception of those photos labelled "pre-production."
    I think I prefer the horizontal grille to be honest. The vertical grille reminds me of the Lincoln cars too much. The hood ornament isn't a big deal for me. If it came with it or not...it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. I think it should be offered as an option. As far as having the flying "H" on the back...I think it's GREAT!!! Just what the company needs for people to see so they can shake their head in wonderment and disbelief that it is actually a Hyundai. I still get that with my Azera after 4 years!!!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I prefer no hood ornament and the vertical grille.

While I'm at it, let me comment on the price comparisons with the LS460. I keep reading everywhere that we are supposed to be comparing a $55K Equus to a $63K LS460. But the Equus should be compared to an LS460L, as the dimensions of the two are almost identical. If the base Equus is equiped as I think it will be, I think a comparable LS460L would be about $80K. That's enough difference to get a lot of people's attention.
    I think everyone will have their own preference as to those things and maybe they'll offer the "other" grille upon production to give folks a choice.

With the dimensions of the Equus already being almost identical to the 460L, I wonder what target the Equus LWB model would be. I know they are trying to figure if a long wheel base version of the Equus would be a viable move or not.

$80k vs. $55k...yeah, who wouldn't want to pocket $25k? :shades:
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    With the low volume they are projecting for the Equus, why not offer both grilles? Let is be a dealer installed option, at least.

I don't see why they'd need an LWB version.
    LWB model would work for those that want to be chauffeured around, but would like to save money vs. traditional limo type cars. Why would anyone need the 460L vs the regular 460?
  • cadillacforumscadillacforums Member Posts: 3
    High-level executives expect to be chauffeured with lounge-out leg room and all the amenities available to them...
    actually the comment was meant to show that a LWB version would probably be welcomed by mid-level executives that want to be chauffeured around with lounge-out leg room and all the amenities available to them...and not have to pay what those high-level execs. are paying. ;)
    Hyundai Equus

* 2011 Hyundai Equus: This new flagship sedan will go on sale this summer with a price tag around $55,000. It's larger and more luxurious than the current Genesis and will feature a V8 engine only.

Hyundai Future Vehicles
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here are Motor Trend's First drive impressions on the Equus...

MT First Drive
    Yes indeed! Considering it's a prototype model and isn't completely tuned as it will be for North America...the fact that the driving characteristics fall between the Lexus LS and the BMW 7-Series...that's not a bad thing at all. I imagine they can tweak and give the best of both worlds with the air adjustable suspension. :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to consumers who are in the market for a premium luxury car and may also be considering a Hyundai Equus, but may not be convinced that it is a valid competitor in the premium luxury market. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to jacevedo@edmunds.com by end of day Friday, September 3, 2010.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2010
    "Under the skin is a modified Genesis chassis, though the air suspension system is all Equus. In Normal mode, we enjoyed a smooth and quiet ride on good roads, but on rough pavement Hyundai's luxurious sedan transmitted too much jounce and felt stiffer than expected. Tap the Sport button next to the shift knob and the steering becomes more responsive and the suspension firmer. When subjected to tight corners at impressive speeds, the 2011 Equus responded with plenty of grip and little body motion."

From: http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_pag- - - - e_order_int/5/article_id_int/8774

I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough.
    Hmmmmmmmm...if you notice, they also said the ride fell between that of the Lexus LS and the BMW 7-Series...if that doesn't qualify for luxury ride, what does???

Inside Line 2011 Equus Full Test

Some Sport With Your Plush?
    As we noted in our First Drive from Korea, the ride quality of the 2011 Hyundai Equus sits somewhere between the feathery Lexus LS and the firm-footed BMW 7 Series. Instead of floating over the road like the Lexus, the Equus feels heavier on its feet, more like it's pummeling the bumps with its big 19-inch wheels and tires. On the flip side, the Equus has less body roll than the Lexus and feels more buttoned-down through big sweeping corners.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me.
    Says who? BMW's don't cater to everyone's expectations, nor does Benz or Lexus. The adjustable air suspension is there to give the driver choices, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will offer choices that would please everyone in the crowd. Sorry, best thing to do is to wait and test drive one for yourself and see if it fits YOUR idea of what a ride should feel like in a $60k car. Everyone's opinion will vary, just as everyone's expectations. You have to be careful because a $60k Benz doesn't ride like a $60k BMW or a $60k Lexus. For the Equus to find a zone between two luxury cars...that's not exactly a bad thing at all.
  • atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    The Equus should be in select showrooms around Nov 1st. Only dealers that qualify, will be allowed to stock the equus. A whole new showroom has to be built in order for a dealer to qualify. Only 40-45 dealers in the US will be carrying the Equus at launch. The way you can tell if your local dealer is carrying the car is to see if their showroom is currently under construction. If it is not, then they will not carry the Equus until the showroom is complete.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Does this new showroom have to be physically separate from the existing showroom, or can it be another "room" in an existing building?

And does it have to be "new", or could a dealer use an existing but different building, maybe remodeled (like a defunct Saturn dealership, for example)?

My local dealer has no space to build or expand anything at their present site, so it looks like they are out of luck for the Equus.
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    Had to RSVP for the first open house for the Equus in the South Florida area.
    It was held last night at Rick Case Hyundai and they had on hand the 2011 Equus Ultimate that will be in showrooms is a couple of weeks.

It was NICE!!! and was able to play with all the goodies.
    They also gave each and everyone of us a bottle of "Equus" wine
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    "An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me."

Uhh, the top-of-the-line LS460 comes w/ an adjustable air suspension.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2010
    "I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough. "

That review may be a bit out of date.

Hyundai has since made adjustments all around according to The Car Connection which has driven the Equus 3 diff. times.

"Now, we've had a shot at the final production Equus. The third time's definitely a charm, since the 2011 Equus has been tweaked to give it better handling, which in turn raises the stakes in the luxury bona-fides lottery.

Hyundai's changed the suspension settings noticeably since we last drove prototypes outside of Seoul, and it's entirely for the better. The 4.6-liter, 385-hp V-8 remains a good and faithful companion to hurtle to 60 mph in under 7 seconds, and the Equus lets in just the right kinds of noise and vibration so you're sure it's working underhood. The six-speed shifts willingly, too. It's swift and quick, and the 429-hp, 5.0-liter V-8 coming in spring will no doubt boost the performance score we give to the Equus over on TheCarConnection.

It's in handling that we had the slightest of qualms with the Equus: those early cars drove with less precision than the Lexus LS, and well off the pace of the BMW and Benz sedans. The Equus has seen some significant suspension tuning in the past three months--engineers describe shock and bushing changes in vague terms--but it's clear from a run across the Skyline overlooking HGM HQ in Palo Alto that the Equus can now rifle off switchbacks as well as or better than the Lexus, with some of the taut ride control of the bigger Bimmers and Mercedeses. The Equus' electrohydraulic steering is pretty lovely, too--it's the ideal blend of motors where they save energy and hydraulics where linear, consistent feel are required. The vagueness at traction limits from prior drives has gone away, and what's left is an appealing driving "smallness" that doesn't go harsh at all, even with 20-inch wheels and tires."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049029_2011-hyundai-equus-third-driv- - - e

And if we are going to find nitpicky comments in reviews, then I guess BMW doesn't either.

"Best is the 750Li with the standard 18-inch wheels. Other 7-Series cars fall short of the lofty ride-balance standard we've come to expect from BMW. The adjustable suspension offers Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ modes. Thanks to its longer wheelbase and standard tires, 750Li is pleasant overall in comfort mode. Sport isn't overly stiff, but it does bring out some tire patter. In other 7-Series cars, comfort mode induces more tire thump and reaction to bumps than in top rivals, such as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Normal mode decreases the latter only slightly. Sport and Sport+ are increasingly firm. While never outright harsh or uncomfortable, these 7-Series cars are not as composed as they should be."

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-bmw-7-series-1.htm
    I guess Hyundai understands that to be taken serious, they have to create a different experience for the luxury car owner. I just came from the Hyundai USA website and directly from there here's a quote of something you Equus owners will come to expect...

"Hyundai has retooled luxury from the ground up. Instead of an incomprehensible owner’s manual, you get an easy to navigate iPad with service scheduler. When it’s time for service, our service center picks the car up from you, gives you a loaner and returns your car as well. And if you want reservations at that new restaurant, our concierge service can even help you there too."

Quote found here Hyundai Future Cars

I mean...when the Genesis dropped, folks were worried about what would they do with the service area to accommodate a "luxury" sedan. Well...Hyundai is saying we aren't worrying about the service department because you get to wait in the comfort of your own home (or office) and we'll even bring a loaner to you so you won't be inconvenienced. I think Hyundai is stepping out in a big way with the Equus and with that type of service plan, along with the concierge service...it won't take long before they are taken seriously.