Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Equus

Comments

• kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    edited September 2010
    "Under the skin is a modified Genesis chassis, though the air suspension system is all Equus. In Normal mode, we enjoyed a smooth and quiet ride on good roads, but on rough pavement Hyundai's luxurious sedan transmitted too much jounce and felt stiffer than expected. Tap the Sport button next to the shift knob and the steering becomes more responsive and the suspension firmer. When subjected to tight corners at impressive speeds, the 2011 Equus responded with plenty of grip and little body motion."

From: http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_pag- - - - e_order_int/5/article_id_int/8774

I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Hmmmmmmmm...if you notice, they also said the ride fell between that of the Lexus LS and the BMW 7-Series...if that doesn't qualify for luxury ride, what does???

Inside Line 2011 Equus Full Test

Some Sport With Your Plush?
    As we noted in our First Drive from Korea, the ride quality of the 2011 Hyundai Equus sits somewhere between the feathery Lexus LS and the firm-footed BMW 7 Series. Instead of floating over the road like the Lexus, the Equus feels heavier on its feet, more like it's pummeling the bumps with its big 19-inch wheels and tires. On the flip side, the Equus has less body roll than the Lexus and feels more buttoned-down through big sweeping corners.
    An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me.
    Says who? BMW's don't cater to everyone's expectations, nor does Benz or Lexus. The adjustable air suspension is there to give the driver choices, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will offer choices that would please everyone in the crowd. Sorry, best thing to do is to wait and test drive one for yourself and see if it fits YOUR idea of what a ride should feel like in a $60k car. Everyone's opinion will vary, just as everyone's expectations. You have to be careful because a $60k Benz doesn't ride like a $60k BMW or a $60k Lexus. For the Equus to find a zone between two luxury cars...that's not exactly a bad thing at all.
  • The Equus should be in select showrooms around Nov 1st. Only dealers that qualify, will be allowed to stock the equus. A whole new showroom has to be built in order for a dealer to qualify. Only 40-45 dealers in the US will be carrying the Equus at launch. The way you can tell if your local dealer is carrying the car is to see if their showroom is currently under construction. If it is not, then they will not carry the Equus until the showroom is complete.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Does this new showroom have to be physically separate from the existing showroom, or can it be another "room" in an existing building?

And does it have to be "new", or could a dealer use an existing but different building, maybe remodeled (like a defunct Saturn dealership, for example)?

My local dealer has no space to build or expand anything at their present site, so it looks like they are out of luck for the Equus.
  • toyetoye Posts: 351
    Had to RSVP for the first open house for the Equus in the South Florida area.
    It was held last night at Rick Case Hyundai and they had on hand the 2011 Equus Ultimate that will be in showrooms is a couple of weeks.

It was NICE!!! and was able to play with all the goodies.
    They also gave each and everyone of us a bottle of "Equus" wine
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    "An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me."

Uhh, the top-of-the-line LS460 comes w/ an adjustable air suspension.
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    edited October 2010
    "I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough. "

That review may be a bit out of date.

Hyundai has since made adjustments all around according to The Car Connection which has driven the Equus 3 diff. times.

"Now, we've had a shot at the final production Equus. The third time's definitely a charm, since the 2011 Equus has been tweaked to give it better handling, which in turn raises the stakes in the luxury bona-fides lottery.

Hyundai's changed the suspension settings noticeably since we last drove prototypes outside of Seoul, and it's entirely for the better. The 4.6-liter, 385-hp V-8 remains a good and faithful companion to hurtle to 60 mph in under 7 seconds, and the Equus lets in just the right kinds of noise and vibration so you're sure it's working underhood. The six-speed shifts willingly, too. It's swift and quick, and the 429-hp, 5.0-liter V-8 coming in spring will no doubt boost the performance score we give to the Equus over on TheCarConnection.

It's in handling that we had the slightest of qualms with the Equus: those early cars drove with less precision than the Lexus LS, and well off the pace of the BMW and Benz sedans. The Equus has seen some significant suspension tuning in the past three months--engineers describe shock and bushing changes in vague terms--but it's clear from a run across the Skyline overlooking HGM HQ in Palo Alto that the Equus can now rifle off switchbacks as well as or better than the Lexus, with some of the taut ride control of the bigger Bimmers and Mercedeses. The Equus' electrohydraulic steering is pretty lovely, too--it's the ideal blend of motors where they save energy and hydraulics where linear, consistent feel are required. The vagueness at traction limits from prior drives has gone away, and what's left is an appealing driving "smallness" that doesn't go harsh at all, even with 20-inch wheels and tires."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049029_2011-hyundai-equus-third-driv- - - e

And if we are going to find nitpicky comments in reviews, then I guess BMW doesn't either.

"Best is the 750Li with the standard 18-inch wheels. Other 7-Series cars fall short of the lofty ride-balance standard we've come to expect from BMW. The adjustable suspension offers Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ modes. Thanks to its longer wheelbase and standard tires, 750Li is pleasant overall in comfort mode. Sport isn't overly stiff, but it does bring out some tire patter. In other 7-Series cars, comfort mode induces more tire thump and reaction to bumps than in top rivals, such as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Normal mode decreases the latter only slightly. Sport and Sport+ are increasingly firm. While never outright harsh or uncomfortable, these 7-Series cars are not as composed as they should be."

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-bmw-7-series-1.htm
    I guess Hyundai understands that to be taken serious, they have to create a different experience for the luxury car owner. I just came from the Hyundai USA website and directly from there here's a quote of something you Equus owners will come to expect...

"Hyundai has retooled luxury from the ground up. Instead of an incomprehensible owner’s manual, you get an easy to navigate iPad with service scheduler. When it’s time for service, our service center picks the car up from you, gives you a loaner and returns your car as well. And if you want reservations at that new restaurant, our concierge service can even help you there too."

Quote found here Hyundai Future Cars

I mean...when the Genesis dropped, folks were worried about what would they do with the service area to accommodate a "luxury" sedan. Well...Hyundai is saying we aren't worrying about the service department because you get to wait in the comfort of your own home (or office) and we'll even bring a loaner to you so you won't be inconvenienced. I think Hyundai is stepping out in a big way with the Equus and with that type of service plan, along with the concierge service...it won't take long before they are taken seriously.
    Signature: $58,000 + $900 destination
    Ultimate: $64,500 + $900 destination
    About $10-12k too much for a Hyundai. Does Hyundai really think I'll spend as much on their car as I would on an LS460? LOL
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    You must mean a used LS; new they start at $65,380 + $875 delivery.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    Hate to tell you this but the LS costs a lot more than the Equus. Also I looked at both practically side by side and the Equus is a much better buy than the LS IMHO. A test drive of each may solidify or change that opinion, but as for now the LS has nothing on the Equus other than a name.

So if you want to pay more for a name be my guest.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Maybe not you, but someone who is rational and doesn't mind saving $10-12k on an LS460. By the way, did you know that to get an LS460 with everything that comes standard on the Equus you would have to spend $10-12k more? Talk about value for your money.
    A challenge? Certainly. A formidable challenge, especially to the European makes? I think the jury is still out on that one. A major challenge based on price, I agree. Also it appears Hyundai hit the marks on luxurious interior appointments, especially in the rear on the Ultimate, and a comfortable ride (based on latest reviews). Engineering? Nothing that seems to stand out in a big way above competitors (albeit they cost a lot more). Powertrain is not exceptional for this class; that will change this spring with the 5.0L V8 and 8-speed tranny. Handling seems decent from reviews, especially compared to the likes of the LS460, but how about the S Class and 7 Series? Electronics, safety, infotainment... all competitive, but exceptional for the class?

I have no doubt Hyundai will sell all the Equuii it wants to in the US--the sales targets are reasonable for a new and very expensive car. But I don't think Hyundai has created an equal for the S Class and 7 Series yet. Maybe an equal to the LS. If so, I think that is a great start, especially given the price differential.
    Hey Kenb757...the same thing was said about the Genesis too! ;)
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, and I wouldn't buy one of those either.
    To each their own. I've had a '02 Sonata (put 105K miles on it in 4 years), currently have an '06 Azera with just over 95K miles (going on 5 years) and neither car has offered any problems. Build quality is solid, durability and dependability has been equal to or better than any Toyota I've ever owned. You can best believe, I'll continue to climb the ladder into a Genesis (holding out for the 5.0 model). If I had the money to climb into an Equus, I would bypass the Genesis and get one. It's a very impressive car for the money!!! :shades:
  • Lots for the money, but bottom line-it's still a Hyundai. Will probably sell the 2-3,000 goal that Hyundai USA has, but won't really crack the Lexus, BMW, M-B, Jaquar, etc. tier.
    BTW, I was one of the many who had problems with Azera and finally dumped it. Tried three 2009-10 Genesis models and even with special discounts just couldn't see buying it.
    In 4-5 years will be looking again and will check out Equus to see where it is, but not there now.
    Hyundai is trying hard, but needs a better product line at the upper levels.
    Motorweek will have a test of the Equus on Saturday November 6th. Broadcast on KERA (no commercials).
    Yeah...that's what they said about the Genesis too, it's still a Hyundai and it seems to be holding it's own right now. If that's the only thing that folks can say at this point...they are doing something pretty doggone good.

Honestly...until you actually go look at the Equus, you can't say they aren't there yet. I spent some time inside of an Equus (pre-production) and it was extremely high quality all the way around. From the suede headliner, supple leather and real wood trim. Everything in and about the car screamed luxury that would expect from the likes of Benz or Lexus.

Trust and believe...Hyundai has arrived, it's just a matter of people accepting & admitting it. ;)
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 537
    edited November 2010
    Would love to see one and test drive one, but they have never been shown in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson SC and Asheville NC area at any of the six or so dealers.
    Have requested info. from Think Tank on one being shown in this area, but apparently no plans to do so.
    So I have to base my opinion on what Hyundai has on its website, website and magazine reviews and Think Tank. Some reviewers agree with me.
    Based on October new car sales, I don't think the Genesis is threatening M-B, BMW, Audi, or Lexus. Maybe Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Lincoln but doubt it. It has succeeded in making its own small niche in its price/performance/equipment bracket.
    People have not accepted it yet. :)
    Pretty hard to accept or not accept a car that isn't even for sale yet. Although I've read the first year's allocation for the US has already been pre-sold. I guess THOSE people have accepted it. :wink:
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    Ken,
    I saw the Motoweek review on PBS and they were very lukewarm about the Equus. They were turned off by its exterior styling (too boxy and staid) and they complained about the interior's cheap plastics for a car at this price point. They thought the interior did not have a unified design theme and the analog clock looked out of place.

Frankly, from what I read on this thread and elsewhere I was expecting more. Instead I was assaulted with a dated mid 1990's design posing as a modern luxury automobile. As to comparison with the 7 series or the S class, the Equus is two iterations away and lags the Audi A-8 by a considerable distance.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited November 2010
    Here's a link to their review...

Equus review on MotorWeek

Not completely 100% positive, but not as negative as the tone of your post implies.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    edited November 2010
    The people at Motorweek were kind and did not want to offend or hurt Hyundai's feelings so they use polite and diplomatic words. If you got a review like that from your boss (or perhaps you are the boss) I wonder how you would interpret it? It short, the Equus is what it is, a first rough draft of a luxury automobile.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    they complained about the interior's cheap plastics for a car at this price point.

I had the opportunity to sit in one last winter at the Chicago Auto show. I can't say that the Equus interior was any "cheaper" than any other luxury car that I had sat in at the show. Did Hyundai change the interior material since then?

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

To me, the review seems mostly positive, with a few negatives:

* They think the exterior styling is too conservative. Well, everyone's tastes are different. Many people like conservative styling in their sedans. But in the next sentence, they say the car "exudes sophistication" and note its "presidential profile". Doesn't sound like damning statements to me.

* They seem to like the interior overall (they write at length about the seating accommodations) but note "plain gauges, an abundance of hard plastics, and the unremarkable face of the analog clock". Another reviewer might praise the plain gauges for their simplicity and visibility. Note they didn't say "cheap plastics", but "hard plastics"--as every other car south of a Rolls or Bentley has these days. Maybe they'd like Roman numerals on the clock.

* Ride/handling wise, they say it's better than the Lexus LS, but not as good as the German competition. So there's room for improvement, but not too shabby for a first effort, to better one of the class standards.

The main negative they raise is the prestige angle, which is getting pretty old, ala: "It has a Hyundai badge." Oh, really? What a surprise! I thought it was a Packard or something.

If someone can't get past the badge, they won't give the Equus the time of day. There's buyers (like the tens of thousands who have bought a Genesis) who have gotten past the badge. Maybe someday car reviewers will review the CAR, not the piece of chromed metal on the trunk lid. Otherwise maybe we should change the name of some of these publications, e.g. BadgeWeek, Badge & Driver, and Badge Trend.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Agreed. People need to understand that automagazine journalists review of cars is based solely on their opinion of that particular car not society. And we as consumers should not let their opinion affect the way we see a particular car. There are consumers out there who could care less what kind of plastic is in a car as long as it works and looks good to THEM. Sure you can take what they say into consideration, but leave final judgement to your personal preferences when you sit in and drive the cars for yourself.