Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI

Comments

• bcobco Posts: 756
    hey, what's up with gmpartsdirect.com?

i went to look up that air filter...thought, ooh...looky here, $13...down from $22 retail. maybe i'll get two or three. go to check out and they're charging $8.88 S&H??? what the???

grrrrrrrrrrr

you save a whopping $0.14 by ordering online? you can have freakin' tires shipped to your house for $25/pair! and that's like 50 freakin' pounds! what's up with $9 S/H for a filter? i tell them what THEY can HANDLE. i hate car manufacturers!!!

...can you tell i had a bad day?

bco
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    WHats with the 4x4 transfer case on the 2500 HD's??? Its not autotrac. I was dissappointed. I went to my uncles dealership to get a 2001 brochure (had none) they had a black 4x4 ext cab 2500 HD 6.0. Nice truck but it had bench seats and that NOT autotrac 4x4. $33K about as much as mine was MSRP.

Oh yea finished paying off the truck today woohoo.

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    meant to say Borla not Boral in post #425.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    they have autotrac in an HD....if not..uhhh..oh well...I did without it before!

...wonder if it's a supplier prob or something else?

- Tim
  • jed1894jed1894 Posts: 337
    I posted a question about "WarrantyGold" on the 2001 Chevy topic and I meant to post it here...sorry about the double dose.....

Anyway, you guys have any experience with "WarrantyGold" company?

Thanks John
  • tex6tex6 Posts: 96
    What is the best way to test if your truck needs alignment? Let go of steering wheel on a absolutely flat road? Should the bowtie on steering wheel be perfectly straight? As you can see, I am no Mr Goodwrench. Thanks!
  • hunter98hunter98 Posts: 273
    On my 99 Sierra, when it had 7000 miles on it I had the alignment done (knockout theory). After having it done, I was told there were no knockouts on the sierra. On my 2000 model I traded for 8 months ago, it has developed a pull with 10000 miles, I hope the no knockout theory still holds true. If it has them it costs an extra hundred bucks or so. At least that is what it cost on my friends burban (old style). I think sometimes the knockout excuse may be a way to rip customers off who are uninformed. Just a guess.

LOL

Hunter
    How's about taking it to another alignment shop to check on the dealer's work. and I don't mean Goodyear or Firestone....if it's found out of alignment you could always take it back to the dealer or try to get them to reimburse you for the alignment done at the shop. My dealer was kinda disturbed when I had his work checked out. He said "Why did you have it checked out". All I could think of was to reply, "Why do you think". end of conversation.
    My truck has been aligned four times in 15K miles.
    WarrantyGold. I found a topic that has some very good post.

John
    My moms 2000 blazer was aligned 3 times the first month (20 days) they bought it. Their excuse was

1. Road curvature
    2. Wind
    3. Nothing wrong at all

After they aligned it the first time it pulled to the opposite side.

After about 2500 mls the truck "loosened up" and hasnt pulled since.
    Ryan
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    custom, sleek looking Silverado with no gaudy emblems and only 2 easily removed 1500 decals. These are in short supply - they are called base Silverados. Hurry before Chevrolet runs out of those powerful, gas saving vortec V6s. I'm glad I got mine before the big gasoline price hikes.
  • GM has had these in the trucks for years. They are used during the assembly process to quickly align the vehicle. Getting an alignment done doesn't necessarily mean the knockouts have been removed. If only the "toe-in" is out of adjustment when the vehicle is checked then the knockouts aren't removed. You need to have the
    camber or caster adjustment done which requires the knockouts to be taken out. Usually costs $30-40 extra for both sides. BTW Camber and Caster don't normally go out of adjustment unless you hit something big. Toe-in/out can go bad very easily. My 2cents worth!!

Stan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    ....and while I feel no shakes or pulls....I'm gonna have the wheels balanced and front end aligned for the first time pretty soon here...

.....and not at the dealer either...

- Tim
    oby...
    sorry...wasn't trying to holler at you. maybe your friend can hook me up too, if i'm willing to pay (less than $9!!!) S&H? i was just pi$$ed...

bco
  • roger350roger350 Posts: 157
    The HD trucks use different transfer cases than the 1500 and 2500. That is why Autotrac is not available. This info is off of thedieselpage.com, those guys have a wealth of information on every aspect of these trucks. According to what I read there, the 2500HD uses a different case than the 2500, and the 3500 uses another more beefed up case. I don't know if Autotrac isn't compatible with the different cases, or if it is a supplier deal like was mentioned. It would not surprise me if Autotrac becomes an option later on. Maybe they just need time to integrate the system with the new transfer cases?

WarrantyGold question...What topic did you find answers through? I had a different non-GM warranty on my old truck and the experience sucked. It was like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. It is a hassle for the service dealer to get authorization for work. The company I had was bought and sold so many times that it was difficult to keep track of the phone number changes. They also pulled crap like wanting to use there own rebuilt alternator, which they would have to ship in while my truck sat at the dealer for days waiting, etc. Real stupid crap like that. I'd say I did get my money out of it before all the BS started, but I sure would not buy another non-GM warranty. The kicker is, the dealer pawned this one off on us as if it was a GM warranty. What a pain. I hope WarrantyGold is better, but I would talk to as many people as you can about them first. Do the years and miles start when you buy it, or just the years?
    Xtreme dean not extreme. im kinda sad i cant do it. The x is way to big.

Ryan
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    Your pictures showed a 5.3L engine. That was only available in the standard 2500, not the 2500HD which came only with the 6.0L. That truck is currently called the 2500, because the 2500HD is the new 9200 lb GVWR model. That is why I called the old standard 2500 the 2500LD.

The only way to get a 5.3L in a 2500 was the 7200 lb LD version, only in 2WD.

All the other 2500s were 8600 lb GVWR. I believe that was option C6P.

Mike L
  • I own a 2000 V6 silverado with 8000k since the time I drove it home I notice a rear end noise when going up hill as well as a drop in speed also it will make the same noise when the speed goes from 50 to 60 mph.the problem is that it doesnt do it all the time sometimes it wont do it all day other times it will do it 3 to 4xs in a drive same roads etc . I been back to the dealer 2xs he first said i needed to drive it in 3rd gear around town ,to make a long story short I have demanded that they check it out .Anybody out there have the same noise I would like to know before they check my truck out on 10 -17 -00
    I found WarrantyGold at topic 12 under Finance, Warranty, etc.

It has alot of good post and not so good post. It was apparent, in the being of the topic, that edmunds and WarrantyGold were in bed together. But I think Edmunds parted ways....don't know for sure because I haven't got that far in my reading.

I also noted that Edmunds sensored alot of post by people asking WarrantyGold very direct and pointed questions... those people mysteriously disappeared.

John
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    My truck is the Y2K C2500 2 wd version w/LS package, I went that root only because I could'nt get the 1/2 ton w/the options I wanted including the 5.3. As it turned out it was a VERY wise decision, and yes the 5.3 was standard, since I have not had any of the problems I've been reading related to the 1/2 ton units whether 2wd or 4wd. The only HD units available in 2000 were the old c/k versions prior to the Silverado make over. Now for 2001 thats all changed.

Ray T.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    The 8600 lb GVWR 2500HD Silverado was available in 99 and 2000, in addition to 2001. The 7200 lb GVWR 2500 (w/5.3L is not available for 2001).

If I had been able to order a 5.3L engine in my 2500HD 4x4 I would have. But, the only choice was the 6.0L.

I have both a 1500 (99) and a 2500 (00) and find the 2500 to be a very good truck. Much more truck like than the 1500.

Mike L
    1999 Silverado 1500 4x4 Reg Cab Longbed 4.8L 5spd
    2000 Silverado 2500 4x4 Reg Cab Longbed 6.0L 5spd
  • Wasn't it Kyle that had 285/75's on his stock truck with no lift. I'm sure I've seen them around and it looked like there was no lift but was just wondering.
    on a 4x4 rado, the largest tire size that will fit without rubbing is 285/75R16.
    No apology necessary. I was kinda laughing that you thought you were ordering from GM. I also thought the same thing until I read the fine print. If you take the part number and call the local GM dealers, you may have better luck and no air freight charges... ;)

Dean
    thanks...damn, it's just been a rough two days.

hawgdawg...if, in referring to kyle, you're referring to me, no, i don't have 285's. i have lt265 duelers.

www.picturetrail.com/bco

bco
  • It was eluded to that the mileage on the Firestones can be pro-rated and they can be traded in???? I just talked to a Firestone dealer here and he said "no" they weren't doing that and even checked with some "corporate" Firestone folks.

I saw a letter that seemed to indicate they would do this but does anyone know the real scoop?
  • I was hit by a drunk driver (with no license, no insurance) a few weeks ago in my 2000 Silverado LS Z71. The truck was totaled by my insurance company. They gave me $29000 for it with 7000k miles which is $600 more then I paid new.

I now have a 2001 with more options (power seats, dimming mirror with compass, thermometer; and locking rear diff) and came out $100 ahead.

Anyway...it worked out but what a pain. My old truck had 265/75 Michelin's so I'm struggling with keeping these Firestones but don't want to fork out a bunch of money for them.
  • pjb0422pjb0422 Posts: 43
    According to my receipt, the technician removed the alignment knockouts, adjusted caster and camber and toe-in on both sides. The steering wheel is close to being centered (bowtie horizontal) and the truck doesn't pull to the left. Let's see how long this lasts.

hawgdawg - I traded my deathstones in for the bridgestones. My local FS dealer said he couldn't do anything for my non-recall tires until I showed him the letter from Christine Karbowiak. Here is the link: http://www.bridgestone-firestone.com/news/consumer/news/00803a.html. After he saw the letter he said that he would pro-rate my tires for new ones. Print off the letter and show your dealer.

Phil
    DId u get the email i sent with that letter? Duh it states clearly if you dont feel safe they will PRORATE your tires and give you credit on a new set. Id pursue it furthur

Ryan

Also HAWGDAWG are you gonna go after that drunk driver with legal recourse???
This discussion has been closed.