Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Lease Questions

Comments

• gr8nrggr8nrg Member Posts: 19
    Thank you for reply. I still think I want to buy it out because of excellent condition and very low miles... I guess the only other question that was unanswered was why is the buyout price listed on their website calendar for my end-of-lease day is higher than the price listed on the original lease contract. ($24,081 on the website vs. $23,122 on lease contract). They would have to honor the original lease contract price, right?

Finally, when you do buy the car at the end of the lease, besides the tax on the residual value, are there any other hidden or otherwise fees they charge?

Thanks in advance.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Read your contract very carefully. The buyout figure on your lease may have fudge factors built in.There could be fees there that are not obvious for the buy out. I would suggest taking the contract to the dealer and asking them to show you every dollar in play and then compare that price to the online price. Take a cup of coffee and stay until you are clear on the terms and charges. Ask them to explain the difference in price and if they can't have them call acura financial. If it doesn't seem right you call Acura financial. Good luck.
  • needanewcar77needanewcar77 Member Posts: 5
    CarMan:

Do you have the MF & Res on a 12k/36m lease for the 09 MDX?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi uvasa. Wow, $5,300 is a lot of money to put down on a lease. I always advise consumers to put as little money as possible down when leasing. Those who make large capitalized cost reductions risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Sure your monthly payment will be a little higher, but it will be much safer if you go with a zero down lease.

I assume that you're talking about a base 2009 MDX. The dealer invoice price for one is currently $38,012. If we subtract the $2,000 dealer cash that is available on this model from that it drops to around $36,000. A selling price of $36,900 isn't bad. It's equivalent to around $900 over invoice. Having said that, if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition you may be able to beat this offer by a couple hundred dollars.

Also, make sure that the dealer is using Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor of .00215 (for "Super Preferred" tier customers) to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • collmancollman Member Posts: 25
    Car_Man or Anybody ?
    What is residual for '09 MDX Tech/Ent 12K/year, 36mos?
    Thanks
    Hi mk2. The easiest way to evaluate this deal is to look at the selling price that it is based upon. Do you know it? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to tell you what I think.

Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Acura MDX is .00215 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, Max. Wow you certainly provided a lot of detail in your post. Let's see here, the gross capitalized cost aka the selling price for the MDX that you are interested in is $38,172.19. However in order to come up with a real selling price one really should add in the "doc" fee which is nothing more than dealer profit. Doing that raises the selling price to around $38,561.

A base 2009 Acura MDX has a dealer invoice price of $38,012. Subtracting the available $2,000 dealer cash from that drops it to $36,012. The selling price that you were quoted appears to be around $2,500 over dealer invoice. If this is indeed the case, then this is not a very good deal. I suspect that you will be able to chop another $1,500 to $2,000 off of this vehicle's price by shopping around.

It doesn't appear to me as though your were charged the first month's payment twice. The dealer included it when the added up all of the money that was due at lease signing. It appears to just be a coincidence that when the allowance that you were given for your trade is subtracted from the fees the leftover amount that you have to pay out off pocket comes out to exactly $539.

Car_man
    Host
    I sure do, jsc_usa. Here you go. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Acura MDX with the Tech and Entertainment packages and 10,000 miles per year are .00215 and 49%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gr8nrg. Don't worry about the plugged tire. As long as your tires have a decent amount of tread left on them, and they should after only 22,000 miles, you should be fine at inspection time. The windshield on the other hand would likely cost you if it has a nasty crack in it.

In order to determine whether you should purchase your MDX at the end of your lease, you need to compare its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. Even though it states your vehicle's purchase option price on your lease contract, you should place a call to the bank that you are leasing it through just to make sure that you have the correct figure. When you do so, it never hurts to try to haggle with them. Some banks will negotiate the lease-end purchase prices of vehicles. If your initial contact at your bank is not willing to lower your vehicle's purchase price, you may have better luck if you work your way up the ladder to a manager. There is a good chance that they will not lower your vehicle's price, more often than not they will not, but you don't have anything to lose by asking.

As I said earlier, once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values".

Car_man
    Host
    Yep mlinny. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Acura MDX with 10,000 miles per year are .00215 and 52%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello mdxlessee. The money factor that you were quoted looks good. It's right in line with Honda Finance's current buy rate for this vehicle.

Now let's take a look at the other important number, the selling price. The dealer invoice price of a 2009 Acura MDX with the Technology package is $41,684. If we subtract the available $2,000 dealer cash from that it drops to around $39,684. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $725 over dealer invoice. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition you may be able to shave another couple hundred dollars off of this vehicle's price, but the quote that you were given is not bad.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, needanewcar77. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Acura MDX with 12,000 miles per year are .00215 and 51%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go collman. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Acura MDX with the Tech and Entertainment packages and 12,000 miles per year are .00215 and 48%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • uvasauvasa Member Posts: 26
    Car_man, thanks for the valuable info. I was able to knock off few hundreds to lower my down to 4900, I even used 1000 from HFS to re-lease to make it out of pocket 3900 + DMV 197 + doc fee 45. monthly at 479/m 12K. I did get .00215 money factor. I should be picking up the truck next weekend.

I agree with not putting more down and not able to recover if total loss. But I need to keep my montly payment lower.

Fun with number comparing my 2006 MDX lease and this one, I'll be paying total 3 years 1650 more than 2006. Approx $ 46/m more. Not bad I think.
  • e46m3e46m3 Member Posts: 14
    52% I believe
  • e46m3e46m3 Member Posts: 14
    Looking at leasing a MDX Tech/Ent package in LA County. I received a internet sale Dept quote Cap Cost without fees/taxes of around 200 less than invoice. This quote included the 2000 dealer cash. I was hoping to do better than this and was wondering if anyone could share their experience on a recent lease and what kind of Cap cost they received.

Thanks
  • sl1288sl1288 Member Posts: 57
    Hi Car Man, with regard to the $2,000 dealer cash, is that separate from the dealer hold back? When I negotiated my current lease on my 2006 MDX, I got the dealer to subtract the 3% dealer hold back off the invoice price.
  • richie11richie11 Member Posts: 8
    Mdxfan2,

I am also in minneapolis and looking to buy/lease MDX. we can buy/lease it together to get a good deal. Please mail me @ richie50001 @ yahoo.
  • hpaddicthpaddict Member Posts: 5
    Hi Car_Man,

I am looking to lease an MDX Sport & Entertainment (MSRP $49,650 incl dest) for 39 months with 12k miles per year. From searching this forum, i think the lease information is:
    money factor 0.00215
    residual 46%
    invoice price: $45,175
    marketing support: $2,000
    acquisition fee: $595
    security deposit: $0
    ridiculous fees: $0

all of which should amount to a lease payment of approximately $665/month, assuming invoice - marketing support ($45,175-2,000) is the best i could get the MDX for. However, I had been offered $41,971 in Mid-January, but was not ready to buy, is $41,971 realistic?

There are at least 5 dealers within 25 miles of my home, each dealer has 9 or more Sport/Ent MDX in stock.

Thank you
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    Hello all, quick question...I noticed there was some conversation about recovering a portion of your down payment for a lease. How does that work? I didn't know you could get any of that back at lease end...or did I misunderstand that? Please elaborate!

I'm currently leasing an 07 TL (lease ends April 2010) and I'm interested in another TL or MDX when that lease is up.
  • glgeddesglgeddes Member Posts: 12
    Car_Man,

Would you happen to know what the % Residual is for a 15k/36Month lease on an 09 MDX?

Thanks!
  • trez67trez67 Member Posts: 2
    I leased the Acura MDX Tech yesterday.

I added the Roof rails ($351.70) and Chrome Side Steps ($785.40). These 2 items total $1137.10.

The monthly lease amount went up $29.02 per month for 36 months. 36 x 29.02 = $1044.72.

The residual value of on the vehicle is 48.2%.

I am not sure how residual value effects these extras. Am I overpaying for these 2 accessories?
    Thanks.
  • uvasauvasa Member Posts: 26
    bt06 - You did misunderstand that. You don't recover anything at the end of the lease. Lease is just renting the car.
  • drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    Trez67, What is your total monthly payment, for how many months.
    Did you put any money down?
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the response...that's what I thought...just wanted to be sure though.
  • nabeelfarooquinabeelfarooqui Member Posts: 54
    hi all,
    thanks so much for the info as it has really been invaluable for me during my acura purchase. just a quick question. i am ready to pull the trigger on a tech/entertainment lease and was wondering about three things:

1. i have seen from the trend that generally the people are getting their rides about 2K below the invoice price. I am sure that some of this is the "good buying environment" these days, but the other factor is the 2K cash that was being offered in april. so now that we are in may, can i still get it for 2K below invoice eventhough the cashback deal isn't there this month?

2. should i wait until june for a better deal? anyone know what incentives will be there at that time? the advantage that i have is that i am not really pressed for time. my accord's lease doesn't end until august, but i am making a road trip in the last week on june and would really like to have it by then.

3. i currently have an accord, with 2 payments left. i was hoping that since honda and acura both have the same financial service that you deal with on the back end, that i will be able to just give it in a bit early and get a new ride. is this asking for too much?

thanks to all in advnace.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    The only problem is Acura Financial has just been spun out from underneath Honda Financial ~ maybe they would still honor each other's customers?!
    Hi sl1288. The $2,000 dealer cash that Acura is currently providing on the 2009 MDX is different from holdback.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi hpaddict. The money factor, residual value, and cash incentive that you dug up by looking around this discussion are correct.

I'm surprised that you were offered a selling price that's significantly below dealer invoice minus the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on this truck back in January. That's probably about as good as it's going to get on an '09 MDX right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, glgeddes. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Acura MDX with 15,000 miles per year are .00215 and 49%, respectively. When negotiating the capitalized cost for your lease, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 dealer cash incentive that is currently available on this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • nabeelfarooquinabeelfarooqui Member Posts: 54
    dear car man,
    i was hoping that you would be able to comment on my earlier post, regarding the purchase of the mdx in end may/early june.... how long is the dealer cash available for?? i just spoke with acura financial and they told me on the phone that the new summer sale rates would be starting on memorial day weekend and to hold off purchase until then... what say you??
    Hi nabeelfarooqui. The $2,000 dealer cash that Acura was providing on the 2009 MDX was scheduled to run through yesterday, June 1st. While no one knows for certain what manufacturers will do with their future incentives before they are officially announced, I would be shocked if Acura pulled the plug on this cash. Most likely it will be extended unchanged through July 6th.

I'm surprised that anyone at Acura would tell you to hold off on purchasing a new vehicle. Not only is that a that's a silly thing to do business-wise, but it didn't even change its program on the MDX for Memorial Day.

Car_man
    Host
  • msinger1msinger1 Member Posts: 2
    hi car man,
    wondering if you could comment on this mdx tech w/12k yr-3 year lease seeing as its june now.

$1800 Total out of pocket
    $688 per month (including tax)

separately, do you think there will be incentives on leftover 09's in the near future?
    Hi Car man,

Can you give me the residual value and money factor on a 2009 MDX w/ Tech based on a 3 year lease with 18,000 miles per year? This would be for a cost of $38,400.
  • needanewcar77needanewcar77 Member Posts: 5
    CARMAN:

Adding to the above, could you list the MF and Residuals for the MDX at the following:

3-Year/ 12k miles
    3-Year/ 15k miles
    3-Year/ 18k miles (for the above poster)
    As an FYI for anyone looking to lease a 2009 MDX, my 2006 MDX lease is ending on 6/30/09. Unfortunately, I drive a lot of miles, but I have to lease through my company. My current lease is for 18,000 miles per year and that ended up being perfect mileage for the last 3 years.

I am starting to negotiate the price of a 2009 MDX w/ Tech, that I can then derive a lease price from. I am looking at invoice - $2000 dealer cash, and I am even trying to get into the hold back (approx. $1,350) That would come out to around $38,400. I had a feeling I was going to have an issue with a low residual value, and after speaking with my car salesman, I found out I was right. (and not in a good way)

The residual value on an MDX w/ Tech for an $18,000 mile lease is 46%! Ugh. If I agreed to a price of $40,000 (their offer) it would result in a monthly payment of $760. Even at $38,400 the payments are in the high $600's. This ends my search before I begin because my current lease is for $550 a month, and I'm not looking to pay $200 more a month.

I think my only choice is to extend my lease and wait for the 2010's to come out with a (hopefully) higher residual value. I'll lose out on the dealer cash, but there isn't much I can do short of looking at a 2010 Pilot Touring.

Also, he only has 3 MDXs on his lot, and he confirmed he will go all Summer without any new ones until the 2010's are delivered.
  • teck2u2teck2u2 Member Posts: 33
    Hi Car_Man,

Several years ago, I asked a question and you never responded :(, hope I do better this time :)

I am in the market for a 2009 MDX - Tech and Entertainment Package. I was quoted the following today and naturally, I was given until Monday to sign the deal or loose it!

36 Months Lease
    10,000 Miles per Year
    1st Month payment 0f $662
    Acq. Fee $595
    Up front Taxes $2119.33
    TOTAL OUT OF POCKET = $3503.58 (This includes first month payment, taxes and Cap Cost Reduction)
    MSRP $47,550
    Selling Price $42,164
    Residual 49%
    Money Factor .00215
    Tax Rate 8.625 (NY)
    MONTHLY PAYMENT $662

Is this a good lease deal? Should I sign? Please help.
  • isosuvisosuv Member Posts: 2
    The lease terms, miles per year, residual value and money factor are determined by Audi financial services.

The only thing you can negotiate with the dealership is the selling price.
    $42164 for Tech and Entertainment packages? I don't think it is a good deal.
  • teck2u2teck2u2 Member Posts: 33
    HI Isosuv,

Thanks for your response. Did you say Audi financial? Did you mean Acura Financial?

Also, what is a good price for this car??

I am so glad I read your response, I was about to go sign the deal tonight!!!! Whew!
  • isosuvisosuv Member Posts: 2
    I'd use sl1288's figures as reference.
    Yes I meant Acura, not Audi. My bad. Typo.
  • kracuraguykracuraguy Member Posts: 1
    I am a month away from the end of my 3-year lease on a 2006 Acura MDX. I'm about 12,000 miles over the limit on mileage (at 20 cents per mile). Also, because of a new policy at work, I have to bridge the next six months into a new company auto program. I will get an allowance for that six months. After that, I have to pick a company-bought vehicle. What's the right move here?
    Hi msinger1. The easiest way for me to evaluate this deal would be to take a look at the selling price that it is based upon. Do you know what this number is? If so, let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Acura is currently providing $2,000 dealer cash on the 2009 MDX. This program is scheduled to run through July 6th. It is difficult to say what its incentives will be like on it after that date.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, sl1288. Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 MDX Tech with 15,000 miles per year are .00215 and 46%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that Honda Finance publishes residual values for. If you need to drive more than that, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

When negotiating your lease on this model, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi needanewcar77. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 MDX with 15,000 miles per year are .00215 and 49%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this truck's residual values would be 2% higher. See my comments on leases with 18,000 miles per year in the previous post.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi teck2u2. Sorry that I missed you last time. We get some many posts here that sometimes a couple will fall through the cracks. At least I'm here for you now ;) .

Don't worry about some sort of arbitrary deadline that the dealer is trying to set. Dealers are hungry for business. There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get the same deal after the magic date that you have been given. Acura's incentives on the MDX are scheduled to run through July 6th. Dealers often give consumers arbitrary cutoff dates in an effort to create a false sense of urgency in them to seal the deal.

The money factor that you were quoted for this truck looks great. It's right in line with Honda Finance's current buy rate for it. Let's take a look at the other important number, the selling price. The dealer invoice price of a 2009 Acura MDX with the Tech and Entertainment packages is $43,321. If one subtracts the available $2,000 dealer cash from that it drops to $41,321. The selling price that you were quoted is around $850 over invoice. That's pretty good, but I would not be surprised if you were able to shave another couple hundred dollars off of this price if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kracuraguy. Honda Finance often lets lessees extend their current lessees for several months. Give them a call and see if they will be willing to work with you. I bet that they will.

Car_man
    Host
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the information, However, what is the botton line selling price for the base MDX with the $2000 cash back? Unfortunately, I have not found the dealers to be very agressive. I have a MDX coming off lease 7/7/09. Have to make some hard decisions. With vehicle purchases/leases down over 35% and even lower for SUV's, I prefer to fall in love with the "deal" not the "iron".
  • agamnyagamny Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

My 'very nicely equipped' leased FORD Edge is due for return on the 2nd of August.

I am considering a 2009 Acura MDX (base model 7 passenger) this time and wanted to know if the current published offer on Acura's website is good or is there room for negotiation.

== Offer ==
    2009 MDX Featured Special Lease
    $499.00 per month for 36 months. $2,899.00 total due at signing.
    Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, titles and fees.
    ========

Please advise. Thanks!
  • californialadycalifornialady Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a lease on a MDX 2009 with navi. I was quoted $40,163 selling price and a res at 49% and money factor at .00215. Payments would be $644 plus tax and drive off is $1307.00. Are there any better deals out there with O down?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    What's the MSRP?
This discussion has been closed.