Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Lease Questions

Comments

• steegrosteegro Member Posts: 2
    How can I investigate the miscellaneous fees that get added to a lease, such as acquisition fees, destination fees, and document fees? Your column and sites like Truecar.com shed light on the real prices and money factors, but the fees seem to add up quickly and can be substantial. I am in Indiana if that helps.
    Thank you.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi steegro. Acura charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases.

In addition to that there is a $860 on every TL regardless of whether it is paid for with cash, leased, or financed.

The doc fee is up to the dealer. It really isn't anything more than a way for them to add additional profit to your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • bxxxmartinbxxxmartin Member Posts: 9
    Hi Car_man. Can I get the residual and money factors for a 24 and 36 month, 15k miles per year lease on a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD. Thanks!
  • derricoderrico Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_man,

I'm was hoping to get the residuals and money factor for 2011 TL with & without Tech 10,000 miles 36 months in Portland, OR area.

I am somewhat new to leasing. It seems like leasing a 2010 would be a great deal, assuming you are not going to buy the car at end of lease) since it is new, the same model, and the dealership eats part of the first year of depreciation. Is there some other less attractive side to a previous year lease that I am not thinking of?

Thanks for your time.. You provide quite a service. :)
  • jamesbond15jamesbond15 Member Posts: 145
    I can't think of any negatives to leasing a brand new 2010 model. They are going for cheaper than the 2011s right now, so a good deal can be had.
  • steegrosteegro Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Car_man. Your forum is a great resource.
    Steegro
    I guess from everything I have read, the residual on a 2010 would be lowered by Acura financial, so the price of the lease is going to be covering the depreciation, say...from 30k to 17k instead of 33k to 22k.

So in that sense if you were not careful you could pay more to lease an older car. (or do I understand that wrong) It seems like knowing what the correct preset residual is, is key. It also could make some higher trims more appealing, if they hold there value better, and then the discount brings that ratio down. Interesting.. They make this hard on purpose, don't they. :)
    I would ask Carman to give you the residual and money factor for the 2010 and 2011 models. Also ask for any cash incentives that are available on each model. Then just plug it into the calculator and see.
    Here is a good calculator that I use: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

I would guess that the 2010 is a better lease but get the numbers to double check.
    Hey James,

Thanks for your help.
    I did ask Carman the residuals on the 7th, but he has not had time to get back to me. I ran the numbers for the existing base 2011 zero down lease and it looks pretty good.

cap cost set to 33k Money Factor = .00106 Residual 60% no sec deposit, nothing down, and the dealership picks up the first payment. so 35 months of $400 a month.

Can you get a money factor that low/ residual that high on a 2010 without the acura deal? Seems pretty good, in any case.
    $33k for a TL with Tech or no Tech?
    $33k for a Tech is a good deal. If no tech, that is overpriced.
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    My lease is up on my current tl. The MSRP for a 2011 TL Tech is $39,645. I told the dealer I want to do zero out of pocket. Requested 36mo/12k, residual 57%,MF .00116 are I was offered the vehicle for a selling price of $34,600, with a montly payment of $424.80 including tax(LA County 9.75%tax). I am receiving the $2000 credit, as well as $1500 for going from a TL to TL and Acura Financial Services is covering the 1st month payment as well. The dealer said that $1883(the 1500& first month that Acura is given) will be used as the down payment. She said she probably could take another $200 over the course of the lease. What are your thoughts on this deal?Would I be able to shoot for $411 including tax with the same parameters. Thank you very much for your help.
    I think you can do better. Try to get the car for $34k.
    James can you help me, I am looking at your lease on the same car except that you went with 10k miles, and you put down $1500. The dealer is using the $1883 from Acura as a down, then I should be at roughly same payment as you correct? I told the dealer that I wanted zero down, meaning not writing a check for anything. Also, in my letter from Acura it says they will waive the security deposit. Invoice on the car is 37,137 -3500=$33637. I am confused right now. Thanks in advance. :)
    Ok.. so
    First negotiate the sales price of the car. Don't talk about down payments or anything else. Simply "What is the dealer going to sell this car for." In the LA area, on a 2011 TL with Tech, I would ideally like to see the sales price of the car around $33,500-$34,000. Start there.
    (Also, you need to add a $595 acquisition fee that goes to Acura Financial. )
    Once you agree on the price of the car start to figure out the down payment and stuff.
    The $1883 is waaay too much for a down payment.

Question for you: Did Acura tell you that they will waive the first monthly payment? Or is the dealer just paying the first payment? Or are you paying the first payment with that down payment?

Now lets talk about down payment:
    DMV Fees: Go here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp
    Type in the required stuff and get the DMV fee.
    For a car with a sales price of $34k, the DMV fee is $480.

Now lets add the dealer doc fee. The max dealer doc fee in CA is $55.

Now first month's payment.

So the down payment should include: Dealer doc fee + DMV fee + first month's payment.
    So figure out if Acura is indeed paying the first month's payment.
    Let's assume they are. So your downpayment is $55 + $480 = $535

You have $1500 from Acura. Subtract the downpayment of $535 from the 1500, so we have left $965.

Ok. Now lets go to the calculator: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Click Start
    MSRP: 39,645
    Base Cap Cost: $34,000
    Addition Fees: 595 (acquisition fee)
    Down Payment: 965 (1500 - DMV + Dealer Doc Fee)

Net Cap Cost: 33630

Residual 57%
    MF: .00116
    Months: 36
    Sales Tax: 9.75
    Monthly Payment: $407.91 with zero down and Acura Financial paying the first month's payment.

So your goal is to negotiate the sales price down to about $34k. Then e-mail these calculations to the dealer.
    (There is some tire fee and something else so don't expect a payment of exactly 407.91, but it should be very close, maybe like $410.)

Tell me how it goes.
  • dleibdleib Member Posts: 2
    3 days ago in NYC, Leased a 2011 Acura TL with tech package and 18 wheels.
    MF .00116 and RV 58%
    36 months
    It would be helpful for others to also know the sales price of the car.
  • bbznycbbznyc Member Posts: 4
    Hi dleib,

Besides sales price, please provide the dealer where you bought it?

Thanks...
    Hello James,
    Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed explaination. I will let you know of the final deal that I am offered. Yesterday, I took my wife to test drive the TL with TEch, she sat in the back and liked the car. For her as long as the car has an A/C that is all that matters. I liked the white color, same as my current TL. My wife wanted to see the Mayan Bronze but the dealership did not have that color. I'll work on my deal and will keep you updated. Thank you for your time and consideration, as well as the attention to detail. Your guidance is greatly appreciated by our family. :D
  • dleibdleib Member Posts: 2
    Brooklyn Acura

My target selling price was 35500.
    Started from there and after about 6-7 hours, arrived at a final selling price of 36120, on a car with my preferred color combination.

0 down 0sec
    paid first month and dmv fees. (doc fees were waived or so they said)

Probably, could have done better on the selling price, but to be honest I got tired and also, time constraint issue came up on my side so I had to wrap things up.
    Process at the dealership was time consuming, but otherwise normal. There were no pressure tactics used, or ridiculous claims and suggestions made by sales and/or finance people.

Basically told them what I wanted and was told, they would try their best.
    From then on we went back and forth with offer counter offers...
    There was an attempt to play “desired color combination unavailability” card, but at that point I started to back out and miraculously, car became available.

Another thing I want to mention.
    During most of the time I was at the dealership, there was an official Acura's Regional representative at the location... talking to the manager (going over things).
    I wander if that fact had an influence on the straightforward treatment I received.
  • bbznycbbznyc Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    What was the msrp on the car and how much is the monthly payment? I tried dealing with Acura of Brooklyn but they weren't serious in making me an offer.

No idea what their issue was.... Considering I bought my car from them 5 years ago....
  • justmeinvajustmeinva Member Posts: 2
    Dear Lord... I just discovered this forum. Color me an idiot for somehow missing it every other time I've been on Edmunds' site...

But now that I'm here, Hi Carman, I'm justmeinva *handshake*. :)

Any chance I could get the R and MF on a 2011 TL Tech, 36 mth w/ 12K miles in the Virginia Beach area?

Also, I've read your other tips on negotiating factors and such. Curious to know what your thoughts are on trying to include spiffs such as all-weather mats, wheel locks, etc... etc.... Seems to me that on a lease those things are less likely to be thrown in --?

thanks!
    You certainly can, bxxxmartin. Acura's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 TL AH-AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00116 and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 24 month lease are .00116 and 64%.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, Steegro.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome justmeinva. Here's the information that you're looking for.

Acura's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 TL Tech with 12,000 miles per year are .00116 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get some extra options thrown in if you want, but the most important thing is to negotiate the lowest total price for the car that you want, including all of these options. If I was in the market for an '11 TL right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice minus the aforementioned cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
  • mikethecarmanmikethecarman Member Posts: 1
    Hey Forum,

First post. I'm looking for an Acura TL AWD with Tech. Must have at least 18K miles/yr since I drive a lot for work (sales). Zero out of pocket, looking for a 24 mos lease but will do 36 mos if needed. I will not keep the car after the lease.

What should (realistically) I expect My monthly lease payments to be?, I live in Jersey.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike
    I would start by looking up what the TL is going for in your area. Go to truecar.com and price it there. Then click the "recent sales" tab. Aim for a sales price that is closest to the left bar graph.
  • shanypaulshanypaul Member Posts: 1
    I need some advice...going to the dealer this afternoon....these are the two quotes I got. I really want the nav system, but prices seem high. Dealer told me on the phone that there is NO room to negotiate....which is the better deal? I can't seem to find the "Added Costs" to the lease?

2011 TLw/tech package
    MSRP $39,895
    Selling price $34,535
    Term 36/12k
    Rate .00106
    Residual 57%
    Monthly $455.36 ($417.76 + tax)
    Due at signing: $37.60 + $193.50 = $231.10

2011 TL
    MSRP $36,165
    Selling price $31,690
    Term 36/12k
    Rate .00106
    Residual 60%
    Monthly $394.36 ($361.80 + tax)
    Due at signing: tax on first payment $32.56 + tags/reg $193.50 = $226.06

Are these payments comparable to what others are paying?? Thanks for your help!
    There is always room to negotiate.
    Check truecar.com for the prices in your area. I typed in my zip code (Los Angeles), both of the sales prices are a little high.

I wouldn't go to the dealership. I would use this calculator to recalculate the numbers with a lower sales price.
    http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
    Then e-mail that to the dealer.
  • stahldawgstahldawg Member Posts: 1
    Hey, All-

Really appreciate everyone's help in the forum. Just wanted to send out the basics of a deal that I made last night here in Columbus, Ohio (agreement would be that I would have to take something out of their current inventory)

(Base TL - 3 yrs - 12k miles/yr)

MSRP: 36,165
    Base Cap: 31,900
    Down Payment: 2,500
    Taxes: 6.75%
    - Residual (.57) & Money Factor (.00116)

Final Monthly Payment: $340 w/ tax
  • jbhansenjbhansen Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2011
    I did a search on this forum and didn't see this topic discussed in a while. Car_man, all things being equal, does the 2011 TL with manual transmission have a lower residual value than one with an automatic? I know when it comes to trade and resale values, manuals usually suffer.
  • njtechwarriornjtechwarrior Member Posts: 12
    Hi Carman, can you please post the MF and RV for a 36 month 12k lease on a 2011 Acura TL base?

Thanks!
  • wbarmorewbarmore Member Posts: 10
    I got the following quotes from a central texas dealer yesterday on a 36 month/10,000 lease:

TL base $292 per month all in, nothing down

TL tech $344 per month all in, nothing down

These seem amazing, but he said there are all kinds of incentives for big dealerships right now on the TL, and the money factor is lower than it's ever been--.00101. These prices are after taking off $1600 for a trade in on my current '08 TSX. Can this be right? Sorry I don't have the cap. cost on each. I was so stunned by the monthly numbers (which really is the bottom line for me) I didn't get those down.
    You're right about the resale values of vehicles with manual transmissions usually being lower than similar vehicles that are equipped with auto, jbhansen. However, I don't believe that Acura makes any adjustment to its vehicles residual values for the transmission that vehicles are equipped with.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go njtechwarrior. Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Acura TL Base with 12,000 miles per year are .00101 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • rleichtrleicht Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Hi Carman, Can you post the residual and money factor for a 2012 TL Tech, 36 mo, 15k miles? There seems to be a big difference (as expected) between the lease deal on the acura website for the 2011 and 2012 model. I'm trying to figure out where the difference lies...between residual or money factor, etc. Thanks- much appreciated!
  • plumbleplumble Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this and don't know much about cars or finance!

Is a 3 year lease, 10K miles with $3K down for $380 a month a good deal? It's for the 2011 TL AWD with Tech package. We're in Virginia.
    Ask the dealer for the sales price of the car. Even though it is a lease, there is a sales price. Then compare that price to the lowest price listed on truecar.com (after you selected your car, click the recent sales tab and look towards the left). If there is a big difference, then it is a bad deal.

Also, giving a big down payment isn't ideal in leases.
  • wbarmorewbarmore Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2011
    For what it's worth, I just drove home in a leased TL FWD with tech for $347 per month all-in after a $1600 allowance for trade-in. I initially was planning on going with another TSX, but couldn't be happier. I don't know a thing about any of the other numbers--MSRP, money factor, residual, etc. This monthly payment was one I didn't want to pass on.

BTW--In Texas, a 6.25% sales tax is paid on the entire sales price, not just on the price of the lease period. In general, Texas is not a good place to lease, but like I said, I'm happy with where the payments ended up and don't care how they got there.

The dealership was Nathan Gunn in San Antonio. I can actually say I totally enjoyed the experience of working with them. Unfortunately, they are about out of 2011 TLs.
    Leased a 2011 SH-AWD in NJ this week. Happy with the deal, comes out about right on lease calculator, benefited from Acura loyalty program and the fact that they delivered the 2012 to the dealers last week.

MSRP 39715
    Sales Price 34983 (about 2k under invoice)
    Residual 57% They said AWD is 2% lower than FWD which is 59%
    MF 2.184
    Tax 7%
    12k 36 month
    $428 per month
    Zero out of pocket. Zero means i didint give them a dime. They applied the 1500 acura loyalty to the out of pocket stuff.

I think there is probably a few bucks in there if you really want to get dirty, but I am happy with the deal. Love the car. Hope this helps someone.
  • bxsvx01bxsvx01 Member Posts: 20
    Hi, njtech-which dealership in jersey was this? Looks like an awesome deal!
    bxsvx01 - Bill Vince Acura in Bridgewater.
  • bxsvx01bxsvx01 Member Posts: 20
    Thank you.
  • cndnbkncndnbkn Member Posts: 76
    Car_man or kyfdx,

Is there really $4000 in total incentives($1,500 manufacturer to consumer plus $2,500 manufacturer to dealer) on the 2011 TL right now? Can these both be used on a lease? What are the residuals and MF for the Base and the Tech package right now? 15k per year please. Thanks in advance for your answers and insights. With the prices I am seeing people posting of $6K under MSRP for Tech package I am thinking the incentives posted on Edmunds might be correct and could actually be that good. Please confirm.

Thanks,

cndnbkn
  • cndnbkncndnbkn Member Posts: 76
    FYI to all looking I just confirmed with AFS(acura financial services) that anyone that owns an acura or leases is available for a $1500 owner loyalty discount. It is set to run until 5/2/11.
  • jrothen4jrothen4 Member Posts: 6
    Went in to look at the '12 TL yesterday and ran some #'s. I was told that the $1500 loyalty discount was only good for a '11 TL.........
  • jrothen4jrothen4 Member Posts: 6
    Ugh I hate dealing with dealerships!

Here's what I got to before I walked out.

2012 TL Tech
    10k/36mo (Using momentum miles that is why only 10k, still have 12k left from last TL)
    MSRP 40,195
    Sale 38,695. (Was only to 39,695 until I pulled out my crack pipe to see if they wanted to smoke some more!)
    Residual of .63
    MF .00186
    $1200 down to cover 599 doc fee, 1st payment, and some other little fee.
    8.1% tax on payment where I live
    $551/mo

Doesnt seem too good to me. I have to double check with AFS about the $1500 going towards the '12. The whole time they were complaining that I was stealing the car. Yea right! Since it is so new, I can not figure out what others are getting for a discount on the MSRP and none of the sites (truecar.com) have the averages out yet. I ran the #'s on my own, and the above figures should come out to 520-530, so they are still getting me somewhere.

This was a far cry from the $2500 down, 39,695 MSRP, and payment of 617 that they came out with 1st!
    Yeah, since the 2012 is brand new it is hard to figure out what the real sales price is. I would never pay $39k for it considering the 2011 are going for like $34k.
    I have a feeling that they are making a killing on $39k.
    Also, I want to point out that the dealer doc fee is BS. So try to lower that number since all that goes to the dealer (you should still pay it, but $599 dealer doc fee is ridiculous. For comparison, CA has a law that limits the dealer doc fee to $55).
    I'd be happy to rleicht. Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 TL Tech with 15,000 miles per year are .00189 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi cndnbkn. The 2011 Acura TL Tech has $2,500 dealer cash available on it. The Base aka Non-Tech TL only has $2,000.

The $1,500 cash incentive that you've seen mentioned is loyalty cash.

Both of these incentives are compatible with the special lease program.

Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2011 TL with 15,000 miles per year are .00101 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 TL Tech are .00101 and 54%.

Car_man
    Host
  • jbhansenjbhansen Member Posts: 20
    wbarmore: That's what we get for having no income tax in Texas. The state will get their money one way or another.
This discussion has been closed.