Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    There's two reasons, ed41. One, the selling price of a vehicle that is equipped with the Tech package is naturally higher than it is for the base model. And two, adding the Tech package also drops the TL's residual value by 3%. So it's a double whammy.

Still that sounds like a big increase in payment. Make sure that the dealer is selling you the TL Tech for a reasonable price, keeping in mind that there's $2,000 dealer cash on it right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • acoustic58acoustic58 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    I am new to this leasing thing as well. I have always believed that it is better to actually own something after paying for it over three years and then drive it for free. Having said that, I am considering leasing to keep the payments lower, at least up front. Something else that needs to be considered is that in 3 years, who knows what the interest rates will be on car loans and if the goal is to buy this lease when the contract ends, the interest rates could be much higher plus generally the better rates are only for new cars.

The car I am considering leasing a 2012 TL with the advanced package. From what I understand when dealing with Acura, it is, this is the lease deal, take it or leave it but I could be wrong. If I did this, it would be with the option to purchase. The option price seems fair for a car that would have less than 30,000 miles on it.

For the above car it would be 446 a month with 3,000 up front but that includes the fist payment reg fee, doc fee and bank fee to Honda. All of that does not come up to 3,000 so the rest is money I am just handing to them which is hard to accept.

I am also finding out that there are a number of car companies out there that offer free. maint. for leases or at least oil changes. For example, Toyota which is Honda's biggest competitor offers 2 years free of all maint, not just oil changes. BMW and Volvo offer free maint. as well. That could save thousands in long run. Acura seems to offer nothing.

So, I am still confused on which way to go.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    "That could save thousands in long run. Acura seems to offer nothing"

How does oil changes and rotating your tires saves you thousand in the long run?
    Oil Change at Acura=aprox.$45
    Tire rotation every 15K miles-local tire shop-approx $48

Intervals in doing these services- depends on your driving.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    edited March 2012
    Sure it is not "take it or leave it". You should negotiated with your dealer and almost all the time they will offer you a better deal than what manufacturer is advertising.

You right about the maintenance though. When comparing to BMW lease, Acura will cost you two oil changes per year + 15K miles and 30K miles service additional. Somewhere around $20 more per month ($40 x 6 = $240 + $150 + $300 = $690 divided by thirty-six months = $19) when compared to a BMW.
  • paigejake1paigejake1 Member Posts: 1
    Here is the latest least offer

2012 FWD Base TL
    $436 total out of pocket

$436 month for 36 months with 15k per year

any thoughts????
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Everyone these days seems to want my 09 TL with Tech. I have three months to go and the dealer is calling me like crazy to bring the car in and get a new one. They called me about 5 or 6 months ago the same thing. The payoff on the car is 24K. I had another dealer call me also asking about taking the car from me. I have never taken in my leased car early. They just offered me $499.00 a month for the TL with Tech, tax included (which is 6%) here in South Fla. Doesnt seem anything special to me. My payoff on the car is 24K.

Robert
    Hi paigejake1. Do you know what this car's selling price is? That figure would be very helpful in determining how good a deal this is.

Car_man
    Host
  • 0ri0n0ri0n Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I got a 09 TL Tech with only 14,000 miles. My local dealer in the SF Bay Area has been calling me like crazy to go to the dealership and take advantage of getting into a new lease of a 2012 TL Tech since my current lease on the 09 is about to expire next month. The dealer has offered me to lease me a 2012 TL Tech for a similar payment that I have now, with No money down. I like my 09 and since it has a very low mileage, I was thinking to keep it. That is to buy it at the end of the lease next month. My pay off at the end of the lease will be around $23k. I have done some search and similar cars (09 TL Tech) with higher mileage (around 30K or 40K) are being offered for $26K and up. I really don’t know if it will be a good idea to buy the car at the end of the lease. In the past I have not been able to negotiate directly with Acura. My last lease was on a 06 TL Tech and Acura refer me directly to negotiate pricing at my local dealership. Do you people think that buying this car at $23K with 14K miles is a good idea/deal? Does anyone know a way to negotiate the price directly with Acura instead of the local dealership? Thank you for all the responses.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I have the 09 AWD Tech with similar mileage but I own mine (financing). Interestingly, I received a letter from the dealer yesterday about a trade in because they are looking for specifically 9 2009 TL (Yeah right, i bet they sent this letter to all 2009 TL owners in their data base). Here is what they are going to do, buy the car from you for 24k, then put it on their lot for a listing price of 32-34K (easy money).
    Here is what you do- either buy the car for the residual (maybe less than the residual)or if you have the new car itch, sell the car yourself for what KBB values it. With the proceeds, pay off Acura and pocket the profits-its that simple.
  • 0ri0n0ri0n Member Posts: 2
    Thank you billyperksii for your response. I'll try to negotiate the price directly with Acura. I like my car and since it has a very low mileage (like yours) why not keep it. I'll be posting more info as soon as I get closer to finish the deal. And I was thinking exactly why you just posted: that the dealer will buy my car for the $24k and later on they will put it on their lot for a higher price. Best.
    I was just offered the TL with Tech for 457 + TAX. Based on that I think they might have a few more dollars to drop but that is not a bad price.

Rob
  • mikevi7mikevi7 Member Posts: 5
    I was able to lease a '12 TL AWD with Tech for $1,999 total down (includes first month's payment of $459) and $459 per month (tax included)...no other money out of pocket...lease is 36 months and 12k miles per year. This was in Feb. I think deals got even a little better since then. It doesn't say what your down payment is so it's hard to tell if it's a good deal.
  • 2dangerous2dangerous Member Posts: 21
    Hi mikevi7
    I am considering buying this Tl SH-AWD Tech
    Buying price I was able to negotiate was 38779.99
    Lease on this they were saying 500(including tax) and 3000 down. With 52% residual. Can you share some of your numbers so that I am in a better situation to negotiate. I have never leased before, so don't know much.
    Thanks
  • mikevi7mikevi7 Member Posts: 5
    my negotiated price was 37,692...there was 1500 dealer cash in feb so that got me down to that number...residual was 54%...money factor was .00094 i think.
    edited May 2012
    Sorry when I posted about the offer $457 + TAX 36 Months TL with Tech, I did not note the following: ZERO down. I have been leasing cars for more than 15 years. NEVER one thin dime on downpayment or cap costs. Sign and drive only. It keeps things simple to me. There is no need ever to put anything down. I did not do anything yet.
  • iminincimininc Member Posts: 14
    Hello Carman,

Can you please post the current lease rates for JUNE for the Acura TL. THanks in advance.
    Sure imininc. Acura's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a base 2012 TL with 15,000 miles per year are .00096 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

There is a $2,000 cash incentive on this car. Make sure to take it into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • lbbalau711lbbalau711 Member Posts: 3
    This is my first post in a forum ever! But since this particular forum saved me thousands, I thought I'd contribute my numbers. Fresh off my new contract:

Sticker (MSRP): $43,770
    Minus Dealer Cash: $2,000
    Minus Negotiations: $2,412.96

Agreed upon Sale Price: $39,357.04

Plus Acquisition Fee: $595
    Plus IL Sales Tax: $3,027 (IL charges on full price of car :cry: )

Gross Cap Cost: $42,979.04
    Minus Loyalty Incentive: $1,000

FINAL Adjusted Cap Cost: $41,979.04

Residual Value: $22,760.40 (52% based on MSRP)
    Money Factor: .00096
    Miles/year: 12,000
    Monthly Payment: $596

DUE AT SIGNING:
    1st Monthly Payment: $596
    Title: $95
    Doc Fee: $186.39
    Down Payment: $0
    Total due at signing: $976.39

That's the deal. I basically got $5,412 off of sticker. Probably could've gotten a little more, but it was the only 6-speed manual within 250 miles so I had to jump on it!

This was my first lease so please give feedback if I did well. Car Man, what do you think about the deal?
  • iminincimininc Member Posts: 14
    Thanks a bunch Car_man
    Welcome aboard lbbalau711. I'm glad that you found the forums so helpful. Other than the fact that Illinois gouges you with sales tax, which you have no control over :), this looks like an excellent deal. The money factor is spot on and you got the car for only a couple hundred dollars over invoice. You did well. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome imininc.

Car_man
    Host
  • nappingratnappingrat Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man,

I am new to here and trying to lease a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD w/tech. Can you help to let me know the the MF and residual value for a 36-month and 10k/year lease?

Also, TMV of this car on demunds.com in my area is ~38,000, almost $6000 off MSRP. Do you think I can target such a selling price?

Thanks a lot
    I was just offered this from a lease broker. I will check a few others but the pricing is good. I dont have any previous experience with this lease broker though.

TL with Tech 12K/36 $400 + TAX
    TL Base Model 12/36 $329.00

I have 09 TL with Tech right now. I still think the Tech package is overpriced and on a lease the lesee picks up the majority of the cost of it.

Rob
  • nappingratnappingrat Member Posts: 4
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information. is this AWD? and what is the first payment of this offer?
    It is not AWD. I am in FL AWD is not needed. First payment is first payment. If you are asking about a cap cost, there is none. Cap cost reductions are for suckers IMHO and I have never paid more on any lease other than first and tag.
  • lcjlcj Member Posts: 2
    Hello Carman,

What is the residual and money factor in June for a 48 month lease on a 2012 TL Base, 15,000 miles per year? Is it the same as the 36 month lease?

Thanks in advance!
    Here you go nappingrat. Acura's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech with 10,000 miles per year are .00096 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

As far as the selling price goes, if I was in the market for this car right now I personally would shoot for a selling price of a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus the $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings lcj. Acura's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TL Base with 15,000 miles per year are .00096 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I provided you with the 3 year numbers instead of the 4 year numbers because that is the longest term that Acura's special lease program on this model is available for. If you were to go with a 48-month lease, the money factor would nearly double to a much less attractive .00185.

Car_man
    Host
  • chad75chad75 Member Posts: 109
    edited June 2012
    Does the $2,500 dealer cash currently available on the TL SH-AWD include the so-called "competitor conquest offer" of $1,000? (I happen to have a 2003 BMW, which meets the conquest requirements.)

Is it possible I may be eligible for $3,500 total in cap cost reductions on a lease?

My area is southwest FL, 33901.

Thanks!
    Yes, chad75, I believe that both the dealer cash and the competitor conquest offer can be combined for a total cash incentive of $3,500.

Car_man
    Host
  • danimal77danimal77 Member Posts: 17
    We are planning to lease AWD TL this weekend, 36mo/12k miles per year. We qualify for conquest money ($1,000). MSRP 39,255 (no tech package). Does anyone know what they lease for? I already have an offer of $390 per month with $2,000 cash at signing (plus with conquest cash it will actually make it total of $3,000 down). Then I saw another offer online

$397.00 PER MONTH / 36 MONTHS
    10,000 MILES PER YEAR
    Zero Down
    Plus BANK FEE, DMV FEES AND TAXES

There are so many different prices, ahh, wish someone can just tell me they leased one for like $380 a month total with $1,000 down total. :) Thank you all!
  • danimal77danimal77 Member Posts: 17
    I've been reading some posts here and sounds like it's possible to get $6,000 total cap cost reduction on AWD TL??? Sounds too good to be true but if anyone knows and can share about max cap cost reduction that would be awesome.

$1,000 conquest
    $2,500 dealer cash
    $2,500 negotiated amount of MSRP
    Hi danimal77. There is indeed a total of around $3,500 in cash incentives on leases of the 2012 TL Tech right now. Add to this the $2,500 or so spread between this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price and there is a total of around $6,000 to play with in negotiations. I'd say that in an area that has a decent level of competition, a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice is a reasonable selling price for this car...so you're looking at a total discount of $5,500 or so.

Car_man
    Host
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Hello Carman,

I am starting my research for a TL lease and wanted to ask you a few questions.

I am looking at the base model which has an MSRP is $35,705 or $36.600 w/ destination which is $895 and an invoice is $33,527.

When you tell your readers the residual value of the vehicle in % terms, would this be based off of the $35,705 or do you include the destination charge as well.

I am looking at a 3 years lease and was wondering if you could give me the money factor and residual for a lease with 10,000 miles and 12,000 miles annually. Do you know if Acura finance has leases that are below the 10,000 annually? I ask because they sent me a loyalty letter with some type of program that allows me to carry forward unused miles from my current Acura vehicle.

Also, I see that there is $2,000 of mfg incentive $$ for the dealer and another $1,000 in loyalty money - are there any other financial incentives that I should know about - I did not see any others posted on Edmunds.com

Lastly - money factors to me seem like arbitrary numbers set by the manufacturer based on supply, demand and how many vehicles they are trying to move. Have you ever known anyone to try to negotiate down the money factor with the idea of reducing the lease price?

I think that's it. Sorry to pepper you with so many questions at once and thank you for your time and information.
    Car Man,

I just thought of one more question for you. If I am trying to negotiate the price of the TL to about $500 above invoice, would I then need to add in the destination fee to this to get my final #?

Invoice is $33,527 so let's say I get the dealer to sell it for $34,000 would I still need to add another $895 for destination or does their invoice price include their destination costs?

Thanks again,
  • kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Do you know the residual for a SH-AWD Advance for 36mo and 15k per year.
    The Dealer quote is 47% seems quite low. The MF was .00096.
    Deal offered was 3k off sticker plus 2500 plus 1000 loyalty
    CarMan,

Reposting my questions from a couple of days ago and hoping you will have time to take a look and respond.

Starting my research for a TL lease looking at the base model which has an MSRP is $35,705 or $36.600 w/ destination which is $895 and an invoice is $33,527.

When you tell your readers the residual value of the vehicle in % terms, would this be based off of the $35,705 or do you include the destination charge as well.

I am looking at a 3 year lease can you give me the money factor and residual for a lease with 10,000 miles and 12,000 miles annually. Do you know if Acura finance has leases that are below the 10,000 annually - perhaps 7500 and if so, MF and residuals?

Also, I see that there is $2,000 of mfg incentive $$ for the dealer and another $1,000 in loyalty money - are there any other financial incentives that I should know about - I did not see any others posted on Edmunds.com

Lastly, I am trying to get the car for no more than $500 above invoice which is $33,527 so let's say I get the dealer to sell it for $34,000 would I still need to add another $895 for destination or does their invoice price include their destination costs?

Thanks for your help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    car_man has taken a few days off for some well-deserved R&R - I'm sure he'll see your questions when he returns, but I didn't want you to think he's ignoring you!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks Kristie. I often wonder how many posts he does per day on this site. Just keeping track of it all has to be quite a chore.
  • ajpbf7ajpbf7 Member Posts: 91
    edited July 2012
    Residual is based on the total MSRP, so including the destination charge. Acura does not do leases under 10k. I believe the residual is 60% on 10,000 miles. The money factor was .00096. You are correct on the incentives for the car. I am not aware of any additional incentives on a lease. Typically the invoice price should include the destination fee. I would shoot for at least invoice minus incentives on this car. Hope that info helps.
    Hi albert72. Sorry for the delay in my response, I was away on vacation. Yes, vehicles' residual values are calculated by multiplying the percentage times the full MSRP, including the destination charge.

Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a base 2012 TL with 12,000 miles per year are .00096 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Yes, Acura does offer leases with 10,000 miles per year. Its residual values for that allowance are 1% higher.

Yes, the ability to carryover unused miles is a nice perk on Acura leases.

You seem to know about all of the cash incentives that are available on this car right now, the $2,000 dealer cash and $1,000 loyalty.

Dealers do not have the ability to alter banks' published buy rate lease money factors. That's as low as it gets.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi albert72. Consumers always have to pay the destination charge, I don't know why manufacturers don't just bake it into the vehicle's price...other than to make their cars look a little cheaper than they really are at first glance.

Base your negotiations off of a $34,422, which is invoice plus destination.

Car_man
    Host
    I certainly do kssod1. Acura's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance with 15,000 miles per year are .00096 and 47%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The selling price that you were offered is excellent. And as I mentioned the lease program that you were quoted is right in line with Acura's current program for this car.

If you like the TL, I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    No worries CarMan. I hope you got some good R&R and had some fun.

Thank you for the information. It looks like if I can get the car at cost less the $3k incentives, my 36 month 12k lease before taxes will come in around $370 / month which seems like a very good deal. Still early on in the shopping process but if this is the price for a base TL, wow.

By the way, I got the lease payment by using the Edmunds manual lease calculator. Why is it that the dealer's computer always produces a higher lease payment than when I calculate it manually?

Have a good day,
  • ln1979ln1979 Member Posts: 4
    Looking for monthly lease quotes on a 2012 TL Base in the tri-state area.

Recevied one quote at $30,458 reflecting current incentives totaling $3k.

Crunched this figure to determine monthly payment.

Here is a breakdown:
    MSRP: $36,660 with destination charge
    Sale Price: $30,458
    NYS/NYC Tax: $1,200.56 (8.875%)
    MV Fees: $123.00
    Grand Total = $31,781.56

Terms: 36 months
    Mileage: 10k or 12k per month (excess to be rolled over from current lease)
    Residual Value: 57% (current published on site)
    Money Factor: .000096 (current published on site)

Looking to put zero down and have taxes rolled into payment. Willing to make the first month's payment and pay mv fees upfront.

Based on my calculations getting somewhere between $365 & $389.00 per month.

Is this realistic or am I missing something.

Thank you.
    I certainly did. Thanks albert72. Any time I can spend with my family is good time :).

It's difficult to say why why the sealers are quoting you higher lease payments than what you are calculating on your own. I personally calculate lease payments using Excel and the formula that is outlined in the following article: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

If you're using the right formula then the payments should be the same, unless the dealer is including sales tax or some other charges in the payments that they quote you.

Car_man
    Host
  • sirkobsirkob Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Just walked out on a deal because i thought they could do better. Here are the Specifics. Located in NYC.
    Getting out of my Toyota Camry 2010 SE V6 Miles on vehicle 21,000 from a 36 month 12,000 per year lease. 3 months left of payments at $329=$987.

This is what i was offered. Base Acura TL at $429 including tax 36 months 10k miles per year, no money down only first month payment and they pay the last 3 months on my lease. I think they can do better then that, any feedback, suggestions?

I was looking for a Acura TL Tech Package, but they are quoting me $480 including tax for that model.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Hi sirkob. One piece of information that you might find helpful is the fact that Acura just raised its dealer cash on the 2012 TL Tech from $2,500 to $3,500.

Car_man
    Host
  • knudsenjknudsenj Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have current rates and residuals for the 2012 2WD TL Tech and Base at 10K and 12K respectively. Trying to run some options before engaging a dealer. Thanks in advance.
  • dave1jessdave1jess Member Posts: 26
    Car man
    Can you please update August lease money factor rates and residuals for a TL SHAWD with Tech for August. Looking to do a last day of the month deal. Thx.
This discussion has been closed.