Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier Audi A3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    I can help you out, chainsaw2. You're right, this car's lease program is not very good right now. Audi has not been providing much support on the A3. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for 24 month lease of a base 2006 A3 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year are .00316 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00316 and 46%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Has there been any info or comments that suggest why the A3 lease program is so weak?

What might be the primary factors be in determining this poor lease value?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The leasing issue has been discussed in deal on here before, so you might want to scroll back and do some reading.

But to give you the short version again, the A3 is a low volume car for Audi. It's expensive to manufacture in Germany, and there's not a lot of profit in the car. It's meant to bring people into the Audi brand at a reasonable price. A 10,000 a year volume car is not going to get much lease support. They don't need to move 50,000 a year and subsidise the money rate and residuals like a 3 series BMW or the A4.
    Thanks for the short version.
    A pity Audi cannot get the A3's manufacturing costs down.
  • stevevwstevevw Member Posts: 2
    i offered 29,900 for a :

A3 2.0
    DSG
    LAVa pearl
    cold weather
    premium package

they did not accept my offer because i wanted the sirius thrown in. am i asking to much? they let me walk out over this and i was ready to buy right then. should i take it 29,900 and just do aftermarket sirius?

THanks for your help
  • ridgebackridgeback Member Posts: 2
    I've just been quoted the following lease offer:

2007 A3 premium. $31,400 net, 36 month term, residual $17219, MF .00435, 10K miles per year.

The MF seems VERY high to me. Doesn't .00435 work out to be almost 10% ?!

Please advise,
    Thanks,
    Scott
    :confuse:
  • ridgebackridgeback Member Posts: 2
    Never mind, they came down to a MF of .0028 but that is still pretty high. I decided to finance the car over 60 months instead and sell the car in 3 years.
    Hi ridgeback. .00435 is a TERRIBLE lease money factor. Audi Financial Services' buy rate money factor for this car, .00314, is bad enough. If you really want to lease an A3, insist that the dealer you are working with uses its buy rate money factor to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Ahhh, that will teach me to respond to a post before scrolling down the entire page. I think that you made a wise decision, ridgeback. Audi's lease program on the A3 is pretty weak right now. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Full details are on the AudiUSA site, but here is the fine print of it:

*24-month closed-end leases offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by January 2 , 2007. Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 15,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end. Rate based on $33,510.00 MSRP of 2007 A4 2.0T quattro with Tiptronic transmission, Premium Package, heated front seats and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $24,127.20. See dealer for details.

Is this a worthwhile lease option?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    2007 A4 2.0T quattro with Tiptronic transmission, Premium Package, heated front seats and destination charge.

This is for an A4.. Plus, you left out the most important part... the monthly price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

yes, you are right.... fuzzy monitor, I guess when I read this. Feel free to yank the post, Karen. sorreeeyyy!! :sick:
  • catatoniccatatonic Member Posts: 10
    how are money factors and residual values determined for a given car? are they affected by the buyer's credit score or are they dependant only on dealer/manufacturer/market conditions? i'm starting to look for a 36 mo. lease on a a3 s-line in southern cal but from what i've been reading, a3 lease options aren't very attractive... what should i look for in different dealerships to start to negotiate?
    thanks
  • delfo399delfo399 Member Posts: 4
    Dear Car_man,

I would like to know where do you get the money factor and residual value information? If you cannot tell me then please find for me the MF and residual value for:

1) A3 with Premium package, MSRP $27,433, 36 month lease.

2) Same as above with a 48 month lease

3) A3 with Sports package, MSRP $27,962, 36 month lease.

4) Same as above with a 48 month lease.

All of the above is assuming 12,000 per year. Also, I have looked at several posts today (for this and other cars) and people seem to be getting really different money factors. How are those calculated? Is the money factor set by Audi Financial or can it be different for different dealers?

Thanks a lot,

-delfin
    Hi catatonic. The money factors and residual values for vehicles are determined by banks. Manufacturers base their lease programs through their captive finance companies on market conditions. They usually provide more lease support on vehicles that they are having trouble selling and less support on vehicles that sell well or have low levels of inventory. Some banks have tiered lease programs that use different money factors for consumers depending upon what their credit score is. Other banks, I believe including Audi Financial Services, have just one lease program and either consumers qualify for them or they don't. I call these the pass / fail system. Audi is not really providing any lease support on the A3 right now. I personally would not lease this car. If you really want to, negotiate the lowest selling price that you can. Unfortunately, its lease program is going to be along the lines of what you have seen mentioned in this forum.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello delfin. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any source that provides information on manufacturers' actual lease programs to the general public. I can give you an idea of what these cars' lease programs are like. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Audi A3 Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00313 and 44%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease of this car are .00333 and 35%. AFS' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 A3 Sport with 15,000 miles per year are .00313 and 45%. Its 48 month numbers are .00333 and 36%. If you want to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this car's residual values will be 2% higher. As you can see, the A3's lease program is pretty bad right now. I don't expect it to get any better in the near future either. If you really want to lease this car, at least go with a 2007 model. Its money factors are just as bad, but at least its residual values are higher. The aforementioned lease program is set by Audi. Individual dealers do not have the authority to improve it, but they are allowed to mark-up the money factors to add hidden back-end profit to deals.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • catatoniccatatonic Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Car_man! I agree, it seems to make more sense to buy/finance than to lease. Of course I need to go to the actual dealer to get some numbers to compare. Are you familiar with AFS' Premier purchase option?
    Thanks Car_man,

You are right, the lease program does look really bad. Could you give me the residuals and MF for the 2007 A3 with Premium Package and 15000 miles a year for 36 months?

Thanks
    Dear Car_man,

Could you please provide me with these details? Again I would like the MF and residual value for 2007 A3 (both premium and S line if that matters) for 12000 miles a year and 36 months lease. I realy appreciate your prompt reply.

Thank you,

-delfin
  • jaduboijaduboi Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently dealing on leasing 2007 A3 with several dealers in Northern CA area. I've got a quote from Livermore Audi which is :

---------------------------------------------------------
    2007 A3 2.0T S-Tronic
    Brilliant Black
    Black Interior
    Options:
    - Open Sky
    - Tech Package
    - S-Line Package

MSRP : $33,340
    Negotiated Price : $30,739+ Tax

24 months with 15,000 miles per year allowed:
    $1,500 Total due at Signing
    $633.49 per month including Sales Tax

-----------------------------------------------------------
    It has the exact color, and options that I've been looking for.
    $633.49 per month seems like too much for me, though.
    I wonder how they got $633.49 from MSRP of $30,739.
    Is that a reasonable monthly payment?

Could you guys give me an advice how to lower the
    monthly payments, please?

Thank you.
  • 1016rosa1016rosa Member Posts: 10
    If you will go to Audi USA they have just posted a 51 month lease for $379 for the Audi A3 with Prem and open sky.
    Holy cow!!

Audi has never put a good lease program on the A3.. but, that price is nuts..

You can borrow the purchase price for 60 months and still have a payment lower than that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No problem, catatonic. Audi's Premier Purchase program is what is known as a balloon note. I do not personally keep tabs on manufacturers' balloon note programs, but they usually provide a similar level of support on balloon notes as they do on their lease programs. As a result, I suspect that the Premier Purchase program for the A3 is not very good either. You're probably better off financing this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, delfo399. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A3 2.0T Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00304 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey delfin. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A3 Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00304 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jaduboi. The selling price that you were quoted on this car looks good to me, but the lease payment that you were quoted is nuts. This just isn't a good car to lease. You would be much better off financing it through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • serdarflserdarfl Member Posts: 13
    Price is $29,640
    Lava Gray with black leather interior and is equipped with a premium package and a 2.0T DSG transmission
    The residual: 50% and money factor is .00304.
    Inception fees: $1731
    $2000 down
    $361 with tax for 12k miles per year for 48 months. Do you think it is a fair deal?
  • gtz02gtz02 Member Posts: 8
    Can some knowledgable person explain whether the Audi offer of a 51 mo lease on an A3 with Prem and open sky at $379/mo with $1900 down is a good deal.
    I get totally confused by the details of leasing. Thanks
  • gtz02gtz02 Member Posts: 8
    CarMan or kyfdx
    Could you comment on Audi's lease offer for the A3?
    :confuse:
    2.0T DSG Prem OpenSky
    msrp- 30,290
    down- 999
    aquisition- 575
    disposition- 350
    10,000mi/yr (I know that's a problem)
    51 mo lease - $379/mo
    purchase option - 15,447

Thanks
  • raidertt2001raidertt2001 Member Posts: 3
    Car_man, can you confirm this lease rate is still available? How do I find out this information on my own? Thanks!!!!
    Hi serdarfl. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 48 month lease of a 2007 A3 2.0T Premium with 12,000 miles per year are an unattractive .00307 and 50%, respectively. Audi just isn't providing any sort of lease support on this car right now. I personally would much rather lease a 2007 A4. Audi's lease program is much more attractive on it right now.

I'd be happy to give you my opinion on the selling price that you were quoted, however it would be easier for me to do so if you provided me with this car's MSRP first. This will show me how much of a discount you are getting. You also can always stop by the following discussion to compare the price that you were quoted for this car to what other community members have paid for similar models lately: "Audi A3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi gtz02. In my opinion, Audi's current advertised lease on the 2007 A3 is not really a very good deal. Even though Audi boosted this car's residual values a while ago to make its lease program less horrible than it was, it still is not very good. Audi's current lease money factor for the 2007 A3 is .00307. This is equivalent to an interest rate of nearly 7.4%. This is almost three times higher than the special money factor that Audi is offering on the 2007 A4. For my money, the A4 is a much much better deal than the A3 is right now. This isn't even getting into the fact that it really isn't a good idea to enter into such a long lease (51 months).

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi gtz02. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi raidertt2001. Audi's December lease program for the 2007 A3 is close to the one that was available in November, but not exactly the same. I would be happy to tell you exactly what the lease program is like on the car that you are interested in if you tell me what trim level you want, i.e. a base model, a premium model, etc..., as well as how long you want to lease it for and what mileage allowance you need.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jeffstrajeffstra Member Posts: 5
    Car Man...can you comment on the new lease offer on the A3. Seems like the first time they've had something somewhat good to offer.

Before I go and negotiate and get a real quote to run by you, I want to know if you think its an okay lease offer. Below is the basic text from the Audi site.

2007 A3 2.0T Premium
    $349 per month
    36-month lease*
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Down payment $999
    Security deposit $350
    Acquisition fee $575
    Amount due at lease inception $2,273

Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees. See dealer for details.

*36-month closed-end leases offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by March 5, 2007. Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end. Rate based on $30,290.00 MSRP of 2007 A3 2.0T with FrontTrak front-wheel drive, DSG Auto, Premium Package, and Open Sky System. and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $16,962.40. See dealer for details.
    Looks like a decent deal, finally... 56% residual..

Not earthshaking, by any means... but, it at least makes a lease feasible...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• isamu66isamu66 Member Posts: 12
    I cant seem to arrive at their monthly payment of $349...

With a net cap cost of $29,866 ($30,290 less $999 down plus $575 acq fee) and a residual of $16,962, a MF of 0.00307, term of 36 months...

I calculate a pretax monthly payment of $502. What am I missing here?
    Can someone post the Residual Value % and Money Factors for the A3 by Term and Miles per Year?

Thanks,

Charles
    In your example, the selling price is MSRP. I'm sure it is a good deal less than that.

I would also assume that the money factor is much less than .00307

I don't have access to the actual numbers though.... We'll have to wait for Car_man's input for that.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was told by a deal the residual and MF are the following...car_man...is this correct?

Residual for 24 month is 64%, money factor is .00095. Residual for 36 month is 55%, money factor is .00085.

Also...I think he is feeding me lies, but the dealer says the residual on the S-Line is less than the Premium, and is quoting me a higher price. I think its because the Premium is sitting on his lot and the S-Line is not. Can this be accurate?
  • kmurkmur Member Posts: 36
    Special Lease offer on the 2007 Audi A3 2.0T Premium
    Now, for a limited time, Audi is offering an exceptional lease through Audi Financial Services on a nicely equipped 2007 A3 2.0T Premium with FrontTrak front-wheel drive, DSG Auto, Premium Package, and Open Sky System. (See complete details below.) This offer is good through March 5, 2007 so hurry into your local Audi dealer today to take advantage of these winning savings.

2007 A3 2.0T Premium
    $349 per month
    36-month lease*
    Down payment $999
    Security deposit $350
    Acquisition fee $575
    Amount due at lease inception $2,273

Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees. See dealer for details.

*36-month closed-end leases offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by March 5, 2007. Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end. Rate based on $30,290.00 MSRP of 2007 A3 2.0T with FrontTrak front-wheel drive, DSG Auto, Premium Package, and Open Sky System. and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $16,962.40. See dealer for details.
    What would be the residual and money factor be for 15,000 miles per year? I wonder if this deal applies for those who don't want the premium package or open sky options.
    My guess-timate is a money factor of around .00172. With this number and a 56% residual, the selling prices is 27,000 - $1000 off sticker from downpayment, and the other $2000 from the dealer/Audi USA.

Hardly a wonderful deal considering it is only 10,000 miles a year.
    That would be my guess as well, but their ad didnt mention any reduction. It only mentions the MSRP.

The ad also mentions cash due at signing of 2,273. This seems to be for only the down (999), security deposit (350), acq fee (575) and their calculated first month payment (349).

Does anyone have all the residuals and MF by term and mileage? Im building a chart in a spreadsheet to run some numbers.

Thanks a bunch for your help guys,

CC
    Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger..here is my deal..let me know if this is decent.

2007 A3 2.0T w/ DSG
    S-Line Pkg
    Open Sky
    Audio Pkg
    Tech Pkg

MSRP: $33,690
    Sale Price: $ 31,735
    36 months / 12k miles per yr
    Residual: 53%
    Money Factor: 0.00025

Note, this is a OnePay lease..thus the low MF:
    One payment, including all taxes/fees: $17,050

Let me know ASAP so I can pull the trigger!! Thanks!
  • papapapaulpapapapaul Member Posts: 3
    What do people think? These are the numbers the guy showed me:

MSRP: $27,800
    36 months
    15k miles per yr
    Residual: .52
    Money Factor: 0.0011
    Nothing Down $396 per month
    Hi jeffstra. I see that you noticed that Audi enhanced its lease program on the A3. It finally has some decent money factors on it. The lack of lease support was the biggest problem that I have had with this car in the past. Audi Financial Services' new enhanced buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A3 2.0T Premium is .00080. The advertised lease that you pasted in your post is a pretty good deal, but like most manufacturers' advertised lease payments savvy consumers who are in an area that has a decent level of competition should be able to negotiate a lower selling price than the one that this deal is based upon.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings Charles. This car's lease program varies by trim level, term, and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease of a 2007 Audi A3 2.0T Premium with 12,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Audi A3 2.0T Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00080 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jeffstra. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is correct for a lease of it with a waived security deposit. Audi Financial Services increases vehicles' money factors by .00015 for consumers who opt not to pay a security deposit equivalent to their monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $25 increment at lease signing. The '07 A3's current buy rate is .00080 for both of the terms that you mentioned.

As far as the S-Line Package goes, the package itself adds to the cost of vehicles PLUS Audi Financial Services' residual values for vehicles that are equipped with this package are 2% lower than vehicles that don't have it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here's the information that you're looking for, kmur. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A3 2.0T Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00080 and 53%, respectively. This same money factor and residual value would be valid for a base model of this car without the Premium Package and Open Sky option. The MSRP and selling price, and in turn the lease payment of a car without these options would be lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.