Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• Car man - I just got back from a local dealership and before I commit, wanted to get your thoughts:

I am looking at a well-optioned 2012 A4 avant (prem plus) with an MSRP of $43,685. They have agreed to a price of $40,451 (after loyalty payment, first months payment and other negotiations). They have agreed to a 59% residual and admit that Audi is offering 0.00142 as a money factor, but will only give me a money factor of 0.00167. Other upfront fees include: upfront sales tax of $169, first year fees of $393, and a loan origination fee of $740 (which they claim comes from audi finance).

I have several questions about this deal. First, is this a good price (basically 2% over invoice, less loyalty and first months payment)? Second, should I walk over the dealer's refusal to give me the lowest money factor, or are they entitled to keep some of the spread? Seems to me that they are not. Third, are all of these fees legitimate? I live in Northern California. Thanks.
  • fairly new to leasing... my a4 lease is up nov 2011, and i honestly would be just as
    happy getting a good deal on a new 2011 a4 as a new 2012.

first, although i'm sure it CAN be done, will i still get screwed on "penalties"?

second, how much are these penalties likely to be? or, would the deal i'd likely get on the last of the 2011 models make eating the penalty worthwhile?

third, i'm actually right now at the 36k mileage (12k/year) that i signed up for. when i did the math initially, i figured it would be cheaper to pay for the extra 3000 miles i figured i'd put on by then, rather than opting for the 45k (15k/year) offer. if i turn the car in now, i guess i wouldn't have to pay for those 3000 miles... does this make turning it in early any better of a deal?

THANK YOU!
  • bwong06bwong06 Posts: 43
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for responding to my request in the MB C-class thread. If it isnt too much to ask, may I also get the 36 month lease numbers on a 2012 A4 Premium Quattro with 12k miles.

Thanks Again!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    You're very welcome jayd4.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi rrocks. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

The money factor that you were quoted is way too high. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A4 Sedan Premium quattro is only .00053 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Make sure the dealer doesn't charge you any more than that.

Having said that, the selling price that you were quoted for this car looks good. Just get the money factor issue straightened out (and skip the down payment) and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • rrocksrrocks Posts: 13
    Thanks, Car man. And thanks to kyfdx for explaining the tax.
  • Hi all,

Pulled the trigger about 3 weeks ago on a 2012 A4 Quattro, auto with the Premium and 5 point wheels (MSRP $41k?). I paid $1209 down for taxes/title/tages/fees (Summer of Audi promo picked up the first payment) with a $515 per month payment for a 36 month 10k per year lease. Great sales rep at Paul Miller Audi in NJ by the name of Peter Wendell. Tell him Sean M. referred you.

Good luck!
  • jsetoxjsetox Posts: 10
    Just got the below lease deal from Audi of Meadowlands in NJ. Let me know if I can do better.

Audi A4 2012 Quattro Premium with Heated Seats, All Weather Mats and Trunk Liner, Dark Walnut Trim, Convenience Package, Style Package.

MSRP: $38,575
    My price: $36,320
    Residual Value: $22,373.50 or 58%
    Money Factor: .00171
    39 months
    10k/Year
    $2,995 down
    Payment $466.17 (8.625% sales tax - zip 11010 - payment includes sales tax total of $1,628.02)
    This also includes audi 1 month free ($466.17 - put over all payments) Is that the best to do with Audi first month free?

What do you guys think?

Also CARMAN please provide the AFS MF and residual value for a 39 month lease for the 2012 A4 Premium with Quattro with 10k/year. I have top tier credit.

Thanks Johnny
    Hi audiaudi2. The selling price that you were quoted looks reasonable to me. The money factor mark-up would rub me the wrong way though. Obviously it would be better to get the price that you were quoted without any mark-up. Dealers are allowed to mark up money factors if they so choose, but if there is another Audi dealer in your area that's willing to lease you this car at the same price with no mark-up then you should go with them.

As far as the fees go, Audi Financial Services charges a $695 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. The rest of the fees that you mentioned look like state fees to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi chiaudiguy. Generally speaking, unless a manufacturer is running some sort of official early lease termination program it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. By the time your lease is up you may find that the lease deals on the 2012 models are similar to what the leases are like on the 2011 models right now. Having said that, it's difficult to predict exactly what automakers will do with their future incentives.

The fact that you will likely exceed your mileage allowance should factor into the equation. At $0.25/mile you're looking at saving a $750 penalty by not putting those $3,000 miles on your car. You can always place a call to AFS to see how much it would cost you to get out of your car now and compare that to the excess mileage cost.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome bwong06. Here's the A4 info that you want. Audi Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00151 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Audi is currently waiving the first month's payment on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome rrocks.

Car_man
    Host
  • jayzeemjayzeem Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I haven't been able to find the buy rate/MF and residual for a 2012 Audi A4 Premium (non Quattro) with style and convenience packages, for a 12000 and 15000 mile/36 month lease term.

Can anyone help? I just want to be armed before hitting up the dealers.

As far as bargaining with a dealer goes, the price paid for the car and the MF can be negotiated? Do the dealers negotiate the MF?

Does Audi deal with multiple security deposits on new leases, similar to what BMW does, to lower the MF?
  • Thanks so much Car_Man.
    I talked to the dealer, and according to him, AFS is asking much more if the dealer is the one buying it out... according to him AFS is offering it to me for 23K, but to him it would be its full value of $33K plus tax. If i buy it out and sell it to him later, he says AFS can see it and will fine them. Is there any truth to this?
    Also, I am in NY, and it looks like i need to pay the tax on the 23K buyout, according to DMV, if i sell the car, the other person also needs to pay the tax to NYS... so NYS takes double the tax... Is there any way to avoid paying double tax in such cases?
    Thanks a lot!
  • rrocksrrocks Posts: 13
    jayzeem,
    I don't know the MF but I was able to figure out after Car Man's response to my question and reading some of the articles on leasing that dealers can mark up the MF. So that's where there's room for negotiation. In California apparently the maximum markup is 2.5 % (the percent is MF x 2400).

A dealer told me that the MF is non-negotiable, set by the financing company. But he didn't say anything about the dealer markup. Since the MF is multiplied by a big number, a dealer markup can be significant. Yes, negotiate the price. Good luck.
  • Hi,

I recently got a quote for a 2012 A4 Premium Plus with Nav for $571 per month 39 month lease with 15K miles per year. My question is on the residual. The dealer told me that when you add Nav, it decrease it from 55% to 53%. Is this correct? FYI, I live on Long Island NY.

Thanks!
  • audia11audia11 Posts: 2
    Hi,

Great forum. Went to a dealer today and received the following lease deal on a 2011 A4 Avant. I'm offering to trade in my 2009 A3 FWD with 18k miles before the lease is up. After perusing this board, the deal seems poor as they are using a 47% residual on a 42 month lease with 10k miles and only willing to give $22k trade allow on the A3. I find the cap cost reduction calc very confusing/misleading. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

MSRP 45,900
    Gross Cap Cost 43325

Customer Cash 1499
    Rebates 1350
    Trade Allow 22k
    Trade payoff 23,186
    Net Trade -1186
    Amt Applied upfront 1899
    Total Cap Reduc 950
    Net Cap Cost 43,560

Adj Residual 21573

Term 42
    Money .00084
    Adv Pay 624
    Upfront charges 1274
    initial pay 2849

monthly $578 + $46 tax = $624
  • bwong06bwong06 Posts: 43
    edited August 2011
    12k- .00141 and 54%.

15k- .00141 and 56%.

Also, I suggests capitalizing all closing costs that are taxable at your drive off into your lease payment. Because Audi is picking up your first payment, they are essentially giving you a 3% discount off the applicable fee while allowing you to pay it in a 36 month installment.
  • jsetoxjsetox Posts: 10
    Hi Car Man,

I am new to this forum and would like some help.

Was qouted the below at a local Audi dealer. Let me know your thoughts and if there is more wiggle room to negotiate.

2012 A4 2.0 Premium Plus

39 month lease 10k miles per year

MSRP 39,775.00 sell 37,441.00 (per dealer this is invoice)

MF .00171 residual 58% or 23,069.50 (buy price and end of lease)

payment 521.06

money due 1422.50 at signing.

Thanks
    Hi jayzeem. Audi Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium without quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00144 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome jsetox. The money factor that you were quoted is right on the money. Dealer invoice would be an excellent selling price for this car. You can always double check the New Vehicle Pricing section here at Edmunds.com to make sure that the dealer is indeed charging you invoice. Anything close to it for a selling price is attractive.

Car_man
    Host
  • Car Man,

Can you please give me the September residual and money factor for a 2012 A4 Premium Plus Auto Quattro, 36 months and 15,000 miles?

Thanks,
  • Carman... thanks for all your help... this forum is great...
    Here are the terms of my lease...

For all those interested in the Audi 2012 A4 Avant Premium Plus:

Additional Add-ons:
    1) Audi adaptive xenon headlights with LED daytime running light
    2) Audi MMI® Navigation plus with voice control system)

Lease terms:
    15,000 miles/yr
    39 month lease

MSRP: $44,635
    Down: $2,500
    Adj Cap Cost: $41,263

Residual: 56%
    Money Factor: 0.00142 (3.41% interest)

Adj Cap Cost: $41,263
    Residual Value: ($24,996) - 56%
    Depreciation Charge: $16,238
    Rent Charge: $3,669 - 0.00142
    Total Base Payment: $19,937
    Base per Month: $511
    Tax (California): $43 - 8.50%

Total Monthly Pmt (incl. tax): $555

Driving my first Audi... Priceless!
  • Alex in NYC - That is standard AFS practice and why I would never lease an Audi again.

I went through that several years ago. I ended up purchasing the car off lease and reselling it to a third party. In California there is a Tax form you can fill out to avoid paying taxes on the vehicle if you intend to resell it within ten days. You should check to see if NYC has a similar tax scheme.
  • Congrats Twente20 on your new ride. I had an A4 Avant a few years ago and it's the only car I've ever leased that I was sad to see go.

So you only pay sales tax on your payment? In Illinois, we pay sales tax on the full purchase price. In your scenario, we would.

The "$2500 down" - is that money you negotiated off the MSRP or a down payment?
  • I certainly can spigot66. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan 2.0T QTR Prem. Plus with 15,000 miles per year are 0.00151 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • You're very welcome twente20. I'm glad that you found this discussion so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your lease with everyone. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • Car man,

Can you please give me the September residual and money factor for:

1) 2012 A4 Premium Plus Auto Quattro, 36 and 39 months, 10,000 miles?
    2) 2012 A4 Prestige Quattro, 36 and 39 months, 10,000 miles

Also, do these rates vary based on the state you are in? I am in Va.

Thanks!
  • hi max,

Total drive offs were around $1,500 (and audi ate my first payment). Not sure on the exact detail, but my $2,500 down payment went towards tax, tags, title, etc...

the adjusted cap costs takes into account all these costs, minus the $2,500 down... at the end of the day I think the agreed upon value of the car was around $41,900.
  • I am currently getting ready to turn in my 2009 A4 Quattro and am wondering if I get any benefits for being a "repeat" customer? This is my third leased Audi. Also curious to know if I can "re-lease" my current car as pre-owned?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.