Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome bwong06. Here's the A4 info that you want. Audi Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00151 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Audi is currently waiving the first month's payment on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're welcome rrocks.

Car_man
    Host
  • jayzeemjayzeem Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I haven't been able to find the buy rate/MF and residual for a 2012 Audi A4 Premium (non Quattro) with style and convenience packages, for a 12000 and 15000 mile/36 month lease term.

Can anyone help? I just want to be armed before hitting up the dealers.

As far as bargaining with a dealer goes, the price paid for the car and the MF can be negotiated? Do the dealers negotiate the MF?

Does Audi deal with multiple security deposits on new leases, similar to what BMW does, to lower the MF?
  • alexnyc8888alexnyc8888 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks so much Car_Man.
    I talked to the dealer, and according to him, AFS is asking much more if the dealer is the one buying it out... according to him AFS is offering it to me for 23K, but to him it would be its full value of $33K plus tax. If i buy it out and sell it to him later, he says AFS can see it and will fine them. Is there any truth to this?
    Also, I am in NY, and it looks like i need to pay the tax on the 23K buyout, according to DMV, if i sell the car, the other person also needs to pay the tax to NYS... so NYS takes double the tax... Is there any way to avoid paying double tax in such cases?
    Thanks a lot!
  • rrocksrrocks Member Posts: 13
    jayzeem,
    I don't know the MF but I was able to figure out after Car Man's response to my question and reading some of the articles on leasing that dealers can mark up the MF. So that's where there's room for negotiation. In California apparently the maximum markup is 2.5 % (the percent is MF x 2400).

A dealer told me that the MF is non-negotiable, set by the financing company. But he didn't say anything about the dealer markup. Since the MF is multiplied by a big number, a dealer markup can be significant. Yes, negotiate the price. Good luck.
  • jimmygt29jimmygt29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently got a quote for a 2012 A4 Premium Plus with Nav for $571 per month 39 month lease with 15K miles per year. My question is on the residual. The dealer told me that when you add Nav, it decrease it from 55% to 53%. Is this correct? FYI, I live on Long Island NY.

Thanks!
  • audia11audia11 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Great forum. Went to a dealer today and received the following lease deal on a 2011 A4 Avant. I'm offering to trade in my 2009 A3 FWD with 18k miles before the lease is up. After perusing this board, the deal seems poor as they are using a 47% residual on a 42 month lease with 10k miles and only willing to give $22k trade allow on the A3. I find the cap cost reduction calc very confusing/misleading. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

MSRP 45,900
    Gross Cap Cost 43325

Customer Cash 1499
    Rebates 1350
    Trade Allow 22k
    Trade payoff 23,186
    Net Trade -1186
    Amt Applied upfront 1899
    Total Cap Reduc 950
    Net Cap Cost 43,560

Adj Residual 21573

Term 42
    Money .00084
    Adv Pay 624
    Upfront charges 1274
    initial pay 2849

monthly $578 + $46 tax = $624
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2011
    12k- .00141 and 54%.

15k- .00141 and 56%.

Also, I suggests capitalizing all closing costs that are taxable at your drive off into your lease payment. Because Audi is picking up your first payment, they are essentially giving you a 3% discount off the applicable fee while allowing you to pay it in a 36 month installment.
  • jsetoxjsetox Member Posts: 15
    Hi Car Man,

I am new to this forum and would like some help.

Was qouted the below at a local Audi dealer. Let me know your thoughts and if there is more wiggle room to negotiate.

2012 A4 2.0 Premium Plus

39 month lease 10k miles per year

MSRP 39,775.00 sell 37,441.00 (per dealer this is invoice)

MF .00171 residual 58% or 23,069.50 (buy price and end of lease)

payment 521.06

money due 1422.50 at signing.

Thanks
    Hi jayzeem. Audi Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium without quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00144 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome jsetox. The money factor that you were quoted is right on the money. Dealer invoice would be an excellent selling price for this car. You can always double check the New Vehicle Pricing section here at Edmunds.com to make sure that the dealer is indeed charging you invoice. Anything close to it for a selling price is attractive.

Car_man
    Host
  • spigot66spigot66 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man,

Can you please give me the September residual and money factor for a 2012 A4 Premium Plus Auto Quattro, 36 months and 15,000 miles?

Thanks,
  • twente20twente20 Member Posts: 5
    Carman... thanks for all your help... this forum is great...
    Here are the terms of my lease...

For all those interested in the Audi 2012 A4 Avant Premium Plus:

Additional Add-ons:
    1) Audi adaptive xenon headlights with LED daytime running light
    2) Audi MMI® Navigation plus with voice control system)

Lease terms:
    15,000 miles/yr
    39 month lease

MSRP: $44,635
    Down: $2,500
    Adj Cap Cost: $41,263

Residual: 56%
    Money Factor: 0.00142 (3.41% interest)

Adj Cap Cost: $41,263
    Residual Value: ($24,996) - 56%
    Depreciation Charge: $16,238
    Rent Charge: $3,669 - 0.00142
    Total Base Payment: $19,937
    Base per Month: $511
    Tax (California): $43 - 8.50%

Total Monthly Pmt (incl. tax): $555

Driving my first Audi... Priceless!
  • mcwenzelmcwenzel Member Posts: 37
    Alex in NYC - That is standard AFS practice and why I would never lease an Audi again.

I went through that several years ago. I ended up purchasing the car off lease and reselling it to a third party. In California there is a Tax form you can fill out to avoid paying taxes on the vehicle if you intend to resell it within ten days. You should check to see if NYC has a similar tax scheme.
  • max_andersonmax_anderson Member Posts: 37
    Congrats Twente20 on your new ride. I had an A4 Avant a few years ago and it's the only car I've ever leased that I was sad to see go.

So you only pay sales tax on your payment? In Illinois, we pay sales tax on the full purchase price. In your scenario, we would.

The "$2500 down" - is that money you negotiated off the MSRP or a down payment?
    I certainly can spigot66. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan 2.0T QTR Prem. Plus with 15,000 miles per year are 0.00151 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome twente20. I'm glad that you found this discussion so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your lease with everyone. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • anb75anb75 Member Posts: 1
    Car man,

Can you please give me the September residual and money factor for:

1) 2012 A4 Premium Plus Auto Quattro, 36 and 39 months, 10,000 miles?
    2) 2012 A4 Prestige Quattro, 36 and 39 months, 10,000 miles

Also, do these rates vary based on the state you are in? I am in Va.

Thanks!
  • twente20twente20 Member Posts: 5
    hi max,

Total drive offs were around $1,500 (and audi ate my first payment). Not sure on the exact detail, but my $2,500 down payment went towards tax, tags, title, etc...

the adjusted cap costs takes into account all these costs, minus the $2,500 down... at the end of the day I think the agreed upon value of the car was around $41,900.
  • ridea4ridea4 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently getting ready to turn in my 2009 A4 Quattro and am wondering if I get any benefits for being a "repeat" customer? This is my third leased Audi. Also curious to know if I can "re-lease" my current car as pre-owned?

Thanks
  • elumelum Member Posts: 2
    Carman
    What is the September AFS Money Factor/Residual for a 2012 A4 P+ with 12,000 miles and a 36 month lease? After reading through the threads it looks like the Audi Care should add 1% to the Residual % as well correct?

MSRP: $40,550
    Negotiated: $39,118

Thanks!
    Hi anb75. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 10,000 miles per year are .00151 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00171 and 57%.

The numbers for the 2012 A4 Sedan Prestige quattro are .00151 / 55% and .00171 / 53%.

This is a national lease program that does not vary by state.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ridea4. Current Audi lessees are given $1,500 towards the purchase and $750 towards the lease of a new Audi.

Yes, theoretically you probably would be able to re-lease your current car as a used vehicle. How good a deal it will be is another matter. Consumers often find that the lack of support that is available on used vehicles makes them less attractive to lease than new ones.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings elum. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus without quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00144 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Yes, the last time that I checked Audi Care added 1% to vehicles' residuals.

Car_man
    Host
  • riverspivriverspiv Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    Hello,

First I wanted to say that this is a terrific forum and really gives the buyer the right knowledge going in to the car dealership!

I would like to know what the MF and residual value is for an A4 Premium Plus Quattro with Audi Care:

36 month / 12k
    36 month / 15k
    39 month / 12k
    39 month / 15k

I looked through the past few pages of posts and didn't see exactly what I was asking for, but forgive me if you already answered this!

Thanks!
  • tms4cabtms4cab Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Car Man.......
    Considering the vehicle above for a 36 or 39 month term with 12K miles.
    What is the buy rate/MF and the residual, please?

Thank you!

tmS4cab
  • babybeansbabybeans Member Posts: 12
    Hi CarMan,

I'm trying to duplicate Twenty20's deal on a 2012 A4 Avant Premium Plus. Can you please confirm the September residual value and rate on this vehicle?

36 mos/15,000 miles

Many thanks!
  • gobsmackgobsmack Member Posts: 1
    I searched but did not find the September residual and money factor on 2012 Prestige Avant 36 / 10,000, 36 / 12,000, 39 10,000 and 39 / 12,000.

Thanks!
  • babybeansbabybeans Member Posts: 12
    Hi again Car Man,

How about the September money/residual on an '11 A4 Avant Prestige?

12k miles/36 mos.

I'm not seeing any spectacular deals on '11's vs. '12's.

Thanks.
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    I have a few months left on my 2009 Audi A4 Sedan Prem + with a few added extras and I just got the payoff numbers from the local dealer. I am not sure if I am going to lease another Audi or buy out my current one so i am keeping my options open till the Nov time frame and see what lease deals popup " Hopefully a A4 Avant :) ".

My question is if I payoff my car what discounts do I get. Does the 1500 Audi discount apply for the purchase of my leased auto, or does it have to be for a used / new auto. I am also wondering what the apr rates on audi's 4 year loans.

Thanks,
    Greetings riverspiv. I'm glad that you enjoy this forum so much. Here's the information that you are looking for.

Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus Quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00151 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00171 and 54%.

If you were to lease this car with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 2% higher.

The inclusion of Audi Care adds 1% to the residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tmS4cab. Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi babybeans. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Avant Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go gobsmack. AFS' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Avant Prestige with 12,000 miles per year are .00142 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00162 and 53%.

If you were to lease with only 10,000 miles per year, this car's residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dilbertic. Unfortunately, Audi's new vehicle incentives are not available to consumers who wish to purchase their leased vehicles at the end of their terms.

Car_man
    Host
  • opro1opro1 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    2012 A4 Prestige 2.0T, Manual, Quatro, S line Package, Sports Package, MSRP $45600. Negotiated price $42500 in the Tri-State area. Lease negotiated $674 a month 15k miles a year 39 months $2300 down. $0 first month's payment. I walked out.
    BTW the salesguy started off with $750 a month with $4000 down. I told the salesguy 674 with 2300 down was too much for 45k car. His response was that S line pakg on A4 is a rare find.

What do u think of the price Car Man? More room for negotiations?
  • jms493jms493 Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2009 Audi A4 Premium Plus. 36 mo lease 12K a year (currently at 26K). I put no money down just TTL. I have 10 mo left on my lease and I am getting emails, calls and letters telling me they want my car. There is high demand and it is worth X amount. Why would I turn it in now as opposed to waiting till June? What benefits are there? Thanks
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    Hi, this is an example of why knowing the money factor and residual means nothing. The only thing that matters is the price of the car the way you have specked it then the number of months, number of miles per year, the total down and the monthly cost. The dealer can twist anything to his favor, he can even give you a low price on the car but the money down and the cost per month is really what matters. Lease deals between dealers vary wildly for the same car at the same price, guess why?

I have been to BMW, Audi, Lexus, VW and they all do the same thing, they manipulate the down and the monthly in their favor and it's always shockingly high, just as this poster writes.

The bottom line, on a 36 month lease, what you pay down added to what you pay per month for 36 months is what you are renting the car for for 3 years. Find that total and you know what it costs you, it's all that matters.

Here is a recent example: 2012 car:
    msrp $38,600
    negotiated price: $37,590
    36 months 12,000 miles per year
    due down: $2,635 (sales tax, first payment, bank fee)
    residual: 54%
    MF: 0.00098
    Monthly cost: $523

So that's $20,940 for renting a car 3 years that's worth $37,590. Which is completely insane and a total rip off. Knowing the MF and residual did nothing to stop the dealer from offering a terrible and terribly high lease deal.

People need to wake up to crazy high lease deals and dealers need to show transparency on leases, it should be a law.
  • jerrynmnkjerrynmnk Member Posts: 8
    Just got this lease deal today...sounds too good... I jumped on it

A4 prem plus MSRP 39,750

36 mo 12K

Zero out of pocket...nothing...no taxes, tags...nothing

no 1st month payment

$479/mo

I'll let you know when I get the car
  • loud0g40ozloud0g40oz Member Posts: 79
    nickr1,

This is inaccurate and potentially costly information. There are bad lease deals just like there are bad purchases. Your example is a bad lease deal, but not knowing the money factor and residual would prevent you from knowing why it is bad.

For example, the 54% residual isn't very strong, but .00098 money factor is pretty good (equivalent to 2.35% interest). The biggest factors making this deal poor are the low residual and negotiated cost being way too high.

For example, using the same $38600 MSRP and $37590 negotiated price but using BMW's 64% residual being offered on the 2011 328i coupe and only first payment out of pocket, the monthly payment drops to $476.22 assuming 799 acquisition fee and 7.75% sales tax. Subtracting an additional $1000 from the negotiated price further drops the monthly payment to $445.23.

This would be a pretty good lease deal at $78/month less ($2808 over 36 months) and $2190 less out of pocket (first month payment only). By changing nothing but the residual value and negotiating a better deal on the car, your net spend over 3 years is $16,028, or a savings of $4912 over your example.

If you had any conquest or loyalty rebates, the deal would be even better. Obviously this isn't a currently offered deal, and the current Audi lease isn't very strong but my point is that the residual value and money factor are required to properly calculate and evaluate a lease deal. Anyone negotiating a lease should know these numbers before ever going to the dealer and at minimum have a lease calculator to check the dealer's numbers before signing papers.
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2011
    nickr1,

I couldn't agree more with lound0q40oz! He/she has given you very sound advice. Not knowing the money factor and residual factor will render you helpless in any lease deal... it's the kiss of death. You stated that...

"Knowing the MF and residual did nothing to stop the dealer from offering a terrible and terribly high lease deal."

Absolutely true! However, you could have stopped the dealer from offering a "terrible and terribly high lease deal". So, for whatever it's worth, here's my advice...

Never allow a dealer to control the deal. Always prepare a one page lease proposal with all pertinent information and FAX/email it to the dealer. Every calculation, including monthly payment, must be spot-on accurate (to the penny). Otherwise, you risk losing credibility. You can view a sample lease proposal at...

https://autoleasegeek.com/services/custom-lease-proposal

All the Best,

John
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    Thanks. But these two replies basically prove my point, that dealers manipulate lease numbers in their favor even when you know the residual and MF don't add up. Yeah, you can tell him he's trying to rip you off or you can walk out but my point is it should be illegal for them to do it in the first place. Who wants to out a tricky salesman when trying to buy a car you love, what a downer. I wish I could buy from Audi direct and have my lawyer go over the lease deal for me. I feel like when it comes to new cars, especially luxury cars, people will do anything to get it, including ignoring how much money they are wasting. These cars are higher than down payments on houses!

As long as you can spec the same car at the same price with different dealers and get wildly varying lease prices and as long as dealers continue to manipulate the lease deals in their favor and as long as prices and lease deals are high for what the car is, then the only thing you can do is walk away.

I'm more in favor of getting transparency and the law on your side, or simply not leasing these terrible deals. It's so clear to me that 90% of the people on this forum and perhaps 90% of the people signing lease deals today are being duped and over charged and don't even know it. That has to change.
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2011
    Dealers can manipulate numbers all they like but it won't fly with me. If you allow dealers to manipulate numbers, then that's exactly what they will do. I simply do not tolerate it and have zero patience for those that do. After submitting my lease proposal, there are only two ways for a dealer to respond....

Yes, we can do the deal or, no, we can't do the deal.

If yes, then every single number in my lease proposal must be transferred onto the lease contract. Yup, they must use the numbers in my lease proposal to complete the lease agreement.

To be quite candid, I know just as much as anyone in the leasing industry when it comes to lease calculations. A dealer can't BS me because mathematics and actuarial science is my domain. I'm very proud of my track record having saved hundreds of people thousands dollars. I've been doing this, as a hobby, for many many years.

We don't need more legislation to protect society's dumb bells as it's costing taxpayers millions every year just to administrate. But, it's a two edge sword. What we're fighting is GREED and a very evil and corrupt government. I agree that the Federal Reserve Bank Board (Regulation M) should require that money factors and lease interest rates be legally disclosed as their needs to be accountability and transparency. But, this is life in America the Great and it's not likely to change anytime soon. Reulations M (Consumer Retail Leasing) and Z (Truth-in-Lending) are there primarily to protect people that are totally clueless. This is a nation of dumb bells and selfish people that thrive on scamming one another. Very few are willing to place the greater good above their own selfish interests and that's exactly why good 'ole America the Great will one day collapse. And, you can bank on it!

John
    TheAutoLeaseGeek
  • riverspivriverspiv Member Posts: 3
    Do these numbers change at all if you go with the FWD instead of Quattro?
  • loud0g40ozloud0g40oz Member Posts: 79
    The replies do nothing to prove your point. With the huge amount of knowledge right at anyone's fingertips today, anyone that enters into an auto lease agreement without doing any research or verification of the dealer's numbers deserves what they get.

Even if the residual and money factor were disclosed in your scenario, the lessee likely wouldn't understand what the numbers meant, and would skip right over them. Why do I say that? Because anyone who doesn't take the time to understand what the numbers mean won't understand anyway.

Any remotely savvy car shopper can get the relevant information in minutes from this or many other sites. The dealer will usually readily disclose the numbers he is using in his quote before you even set foot into the dealership to sign the papers.

There is simply no excuse for someone to not have a fairly accurate idea of what a particular car is selling for at any given time and the current finance/lease deals available, and be able to make an educated offer on the car they want, then know to the penny what the vehicle will cost them...all before setting foot into the dealership.

Ain't technology great??
  • dm46dm46 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Carman
    what are the lease rates (money factor/residual ) for 2012 Audi A4 Premium plus model 10k/12k/15k 33/36/39 months for october 2011.
    Thanks in advance
    I suspect that they do riverspiv. Let's see.

Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00144 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00164 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey dm46. Audi Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2012 A4 Premium Plus quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00151 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00171 and 54%.

The residual values for leases with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% and with only 10,000 miles per year would be 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • smee17smee17 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help me on residual, money factor and payment on 48 months/15k miles. MSRP $36,230.
  • dnpr8055dnpr8055 Member Posts: 1
    Hi CARMAN,

Could you give me the money factor and residual value for Audi Prem Plus, Quattro with Nav. for

24 Months/12000 miles
    30 Months/12000 miles
    36 Months/12000 miles

Thak you.
This discussion has been closed.