Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• rbergmandcrbergmandc Member Posts: 16
    MSRP: 38,225
    Sale Price: 36,700
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    ibslates

Yes, how much you pay the dealer total is what you are leasing it for. If you need to negotiate because you are being ripped of,f any power that numbers gives you is fine. But what a drag to have to go through this. I'm convinced that MF and residual numbers are there to confuse things and benefit the dealer. If, for example, as in home loans, car dealers had to, by law, show you all the charges and how it adds up to what you are paying them in total over the life of the lease, everything would be very clear upfront to all potential buyers, especially buyers who do not plan on buying the car at lease end.

I always go directly to the bottom line, the total I will pay for leasing the car and I immediately know if it is a good deal or not. It is amazing how far apart dealer to dealer is and just shows you for the exact same car in the same state and often in the same county, lease prices can be wildly apart. I have even seen a lower sale price have a much higher lease cost, how do you think they pull that one off?

Recently, I was quoted a lease price for a Subaru Forester and a VW Tiguan, both of which had a lower sale price than a Lexus IS250 AWD and both the Subaru and the VW had much higher lease prices than the Lexus. It's crazy out there.
  • marvistamarvista Member Posts: 3
    As a female walking into a dealer, I feel I have an extra hoop to jump through to get a fair deal...

Would you please let me know what AFS' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be for a 42-month lease of a 2012 A4 Premium Plus with 10,000 miles per year?

My understanding, is that a dealer can/will mark up the MF? Are fees outside the acquisition fee of $695.00 negotiable in IL? After talking to 3 different Audi dealers...it's been very frustrating not only to get correct information/details on a deal, but actual information. I'm not sure what to believe at this point. Would appreciate understanding if I'm getting a decent deal, or what I need to do to get one.

Current deal:

2012 A4 premium plus
    MSRP: $40,325
    Invoice: $37,956.25
    Current sell price: $39,000
    My purchase price/residual vale: $20,198
    Fees w title/registration:$1085
    Trade in value for my 2009 A4 premium with 16,300 miles: $24K
    * i would also be eligible for a sales tax credit at 7.25%
    $0 down
    $477.33 a month payment
    10K miles/42 month lease

The whole "trade in" factor has been interesting, as I don't own the car - AFS does. Do you know what the dealer purchase price would be? They won't give me this information. I know they would not want to purchase the vehicle if they weren't making a profit. I was also told this dealer would only go $1K above invoice, while others have gone a few hundred above.
  • jbrown7815jbrown7815 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to post in this thread and say thanks for all of the info in here. I hope to lease a A4 in the next 6 months or so. Thanks Car Guy!
  • just1nycjust1nyc Member Posts: 11
    Marvista i think you should be able to get this car for $300 or so over invoice. You can see the actual dealer cost on TrueCar.com. Good luck.
  • marvistamarvista Member Posts: 3
    Just1nyc:

Are you (or anyone else) familiar with the $750 Audi loyalty customer cash incentives for current leasees to resign a new lease, that are given to the buyer from Audi and are essentially signed over to the dealer as part of the downpayment? I believe the $750 is deducted from the invoice price so the dealer is actually making more profit off the car that what a buyer is led to believe. This would also be the case for any dealer holdback. I ran a consumer report and they say the dealer will make an additional $322 off the invoice price, which brings the total reduction to an additional $1,072 off the invoice price they show the buyer.

As I mentioned I'm in a current lease with a 2009 A4 premium w quattro; I have 16,300 miles (had it since October '08 w a residual of 20,198). Out of the 3 dealers I've gone to, they have all been very interested (too interested in my opinion) in wanting me to "trade in" my car and will give me $24K; I will receive $3,802 towards a new lease. They also make it a point to tell me that they will only make a small profit off reselling my car and that it's barely worth the effort, etc. Does anyone know how much incentive dealers are receiving from Audi for purchasing my car? They have to be getting some type of dealer incentive from Audi, which will also come off the invoice price making their profit even greater. For example, if the dealer were to receive a $1K incentive for taking in my leased car towards a new lease they would be making an additional $2,072 off the invoice without any buyer really knowing they are doing this. This is just a guess...

Is it correct to say when the dealer points to the invoice price and says this is what they paid to own the car, they are telling the truth at that point; but it's not what they will pay for the car after incentives/rebates are applied? So for the dealer to sell me a car a few hundred above invoice they are potentially making almost $2500 off the deal (and probably much more).
  • just1nycjust1nyc Member Posts: 11
    Yes I believe you are entitled to the $750 and you're first payment should be waived as well. Take a look at Truecar.com. They show you the difference between invoice and actual dealer cost.
  • ibslatesibslates Member Posts: 10
    I think buying the car for $500 over invoice and then receiving the $750 loyalty is a good deal I this 2012 if you can get it.

I haven't researched your car's value but it doesn't sound unreasonable. Do you feel like that what it's worth? What's your alternative--turn it in or sell it outright?

Some lease banks do negotiate prices with dealers but Audi does not. BMW does, but even so it's to help the dealer that would not buy it because the car is not worth the residual (they compare auction values). In your case, the car is worth more than the residual so they wouldn't get an incentive.

So, if you can get $500 over invoice less loyalty and then credit for your car, you're getting a fair deal. The dealer should make something for keeping inventory and salespeople around. Good luck!
  • missileman7missileman7 Member Posts: 2
    I am working on negotiating a lease on a 2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro. It has the Prestige, Sport and S Line Packages. The MSRP is $47,055. I have excellent credit with a score around 795 and have so far talked the dealer down to a vehicle price of $43,998.

Based on the research I have seen on this site, I believe I should expect a Residual of 54% and a Money Factor of .00133. However, the dealer is claiming 53% and .0016.
    Are they trying to get extra profit by not coming down and should I expect to be able to negotiate these to 54 and .0016?

In my current lease there is a charge labeled L&M for $527 that was added to the Gross Cap Cost. Can anyone tell me what this is? I know it's not the acquisition fee since it is itemized separately but can't remember what it was for.

Finally, I am in Texas and in my current lease don't see anything on the contract about taxes. The line for Taxes under Itemized Gross Cap Cost shows N/A and the Monthly Sales/Use Tax also shows N/A. I'm sure I have paid taxes somewhere but can't figure out where.
    Any help to the above questions would be appreciated.
  • chiquitachiquita Member Posts: 18
    Hi, and thank you
    I need to compare buying a A4 or leasing. Can you provide the current buy rate through AFS for apr% rate if i bought a car . On other hand if leasing the MF and residual on a 2012 A4 prem plus for 36 mo and 15K ? do they offer 20K? (i need more miles, how does the MF and residual change) this is why i need to compare buying or leasing because of extra miles.

where do i apply loyalty if i am turning in a A4 lease? After i negotiate a price?

thank you so very much!!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go aal2012. Audi Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Prestige Sedan quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00133 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thanks for the additional information rbergmandc. The selling price that you were quoted appears to be less than $1,000 over dealer invoice...perhaps $700 or so over invoice. That's a pretty good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome jbrown7815. I'm glad that you are enjoying it. See you around!

Car_man
    Host
    Hi, and thank you Car Man and hosts!! any help is so much appreciated believe me!

I need to compare buying a A4 or leasing. Can you provide the current buy rate through AFS for apr% rate if i bought a car . On other hand if leasing the MF and residual on a 2012 A4 quattro prem plus for 36 mo and 15K ? do they offer 20K? (i need more miles, how does the MF and residual change) this is why i need to compare buying or leasing because of extra miles.

the dealer quoted a MF of 0.00159 for buy rate- I thought was higher than said here. resd=55%
    For buying they quoted buy rate of 2.9% for 60 months- is that correct? I thought it was 1.9 and 2.4 % ?? please advise

where do i apply loyalty if i am turning in a A4 lease? After i negotiate a price?

thank you so very much!!
    Greetings chiquita. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00133 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I don't believe that AFS publishes residual values for leases with 20,000 miles per year, but you should be able to pre-pay for additional miles at a discount for what you would have to pay as an excess mileage penalty at lease-end.

You're right about the finance rate, Audi is currently offering 1.9% for 60 months. It looks like the dealer might be trying to mark the rate up on you.

There's a $750 cash incentive for loyal customers on leases. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    edited December 2011
    I can not thank you enough car man, this is a live saver... You are so appreciated!

A question to all others.... What kind of price from invoice are yal able to get right now?
    About three years ago I was offered 700 to 500 below invoice but do not know if it's the climate for that kind of deal right now ?
    Do tell

Thank you again car man for everything
  • eric1492eric1492 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. question 1 offered a4, in nj...sticker 43150. selling price 39000, $750 down, 36 month,15,000 miles. no security deposit, mv fees 405, doc fees $269, Bank fee $625 Residual $23650 money factor if tier 1 was .00143 and if tier 2 .00147 (I agree that I am tier 2). they are saying lease b4 tax $471.41 or after tax $509.47. total fees (listed above) are $2565

question 2 ..same car and details
    but I would prefer to pay single payment lease..same purchase price, tier 2 credit money factor .00147..how much should single payment be. they are stating $540 month x 35 months=18900 plus 1280 fees (bk fee $625,doc $269, MV $405, tire tax $7.5 = 20180 total

question 3 audi auto care..they say $800 4 yr miles 50,000 = $800...and they could reduce by $80 dlrs. worth it? or should price be lower?

question 4. what should extra lease miles cost, up front. per 1000 miles? (I probably want 50000 miles on 3 yr lease).

All in all looks like very good selling price, but then they are adding some back in via fees.
    really like car and want to lease single payment. Your thoughts...good deal?

Many thanks!!

Eric1492
    Hi. question 1 offered a4, in nj...sticker 43150. selling price 39000, $750 down, 36 month,15,000 miles. no security deposit, mv fees 405, doc fees $269, Bank fee $625 Residual $23650 money factor if tier 1 was .00143 and if tier 2 .00147 (I agree that I am tier 2). they are saying lease b4 tax $471.41 or after tax $509.47. total fees (listed above) are $2565

question 2 ..same car and details
    but I would prefer to pay single payment lease..same purchase price, tier 2 credit money factor .00147..how much should single payment be. they are stating $540 month x 35 months=18900 plus 1280 fees (bk fee $625,doc $269, MV $405, tire tax $7.5 = 20180 total

question 3 audi auto care..they say $800 4 yr miles 50,000 = $800...and they could reduce by $80 dlrs. worth it? or should price be lower?

question 4. what should extra lease miles cost, up front. per 1000 miles? (I probably want 50000 miles on 3 yr lease).

All in all looks like very good selling price, but then they are adding some back in via fees.
    really like car and want to lease single payment. Your thoughts...good deal?

Many thanks!!

Eric1492
  • jbrown7815jbrown7815 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    I just got this quote from Best Buy leasing based off December rates.

2012 Audi A4 Premium Plus ( Manual, Sport Package, B & O, Advanced Key)
    MSRP $40,625

$484.35 monthly payment
    36 months
    10k miles a year
    Residual is 58%
    MF .00133
    The $1254 includes 1st month, Bank Fee, Doc Fee

Due at signing $1,254.35 + NM DMV + shipping

For 12k miles the payment is $495.64
  • audisalesman1audisalesman1 Member Posts: 4
    if you dont mind me asking what dealership is offering you $2k under invoice? I would help you with your scenario but some of the stuff you mentioned doesnt make sense.

Audi care costs $800 and if a dealership is going to give it to you for cost $720 you should jump all over it but just remember if you buy Audi Care your residual goes up one point which means your payment will go lower if you are paying for the $720 up front.
  • audisalesman1audisalesman1 Member Posts: 4
    we dont get any extra money for buying your car back. as you mentioned they are sharing the equity with you WHICH NO OTHER MANUFACTURER WOULD DO OR CAN DO BECAUSE THEY NEVER ARE IN EQUITY POSITIONS LIKE THIS.

They are helping you out and are actually right in saying they will overpay for your leased car. Reason being that there will be other dealers out there that will be the same car for the residual price instead of $24k and then will sell the car for $24k while your dealer will over pay and prob break even on car.
  • pfdfpfdf Member Posts: 3
    I am located in NY. Looking at an Audi A4 Premium Plus Quattro with Sports Package.

MSRP is $40,625

Desired Lease Terms

No Trade in
    No Money Down
    Pay Tax and fees upfront
    36 Months
    12,000 Miles
    Excellent Credit Rating

What am I looking at as far as monthly payments?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter
    Car Man
    What would be the current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 12,000 miles per year

Thanks
    Peter
  • jodony1jodony1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Car Man,

What would be the MF and residual on an A4 Avant Premium with 10k and 36 months? Thank you!
    update..cost of audi care is the $800 on the a4. I was mixed up due to the change by 1 % of the residual. I still am unclear on the result of a 1 pay lease (which I prefer). It appears to be the monthly lease price x 35 + $1208 fees, etc
    You're very welcome chiquita.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Peter. Audi Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00133 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for jodony1. Audi Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Avant Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00125 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car Man, expanding on (jodony1) post for a 2012 A4 AVANT- If i needed to know the MF and resd. for a 36 mo, but 15K lease.... would the money factor stay the same and the residual change? Is this the same if the avant were a premium plus trim?
    thanks so much
  • jodony1jodony1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Chiquita not banana, dear Car Man,

Thanks for posting the correct MF and residual of 0.00125 and 59 percent. I just made the following deal on an A4 Avant Premium metallic white plus conv package, style and heated seats only: MSRP 40,300 sales price 38,300 -> at 10k per year, including my taxes $1000 down plus $490 per month. Drive off downpayment plus tags. Hurray!

While contacting some dealers to check inventory, one Audi dealer in Greenwich CT (no name) quoted me a much higher 0.00145 and res 55 percent for the exact same car... whether this was deliberate or not I will never know.

So thank you Car Man for saving me money! Chiquita you're next. Happy Holidays!
  • rahulgrahulg Member Posts: 28
    Hi Eric

I am also looking for an audi A4 premium plus in NY / NJ area. All the dealers I have met are not ready to discount more than $ 2400. So you got a pretty good off. Would you pls share the name and area of your audi dealer so we can also benefit from the pricing.
    Thanks
    Rahul
    Thanks very much Car man. Much Appreciated
  • jsclarkejsclarke Member Posts: 1
    thank you so much for doing this for us all Car_Man...
    might you know the money factor and residual for the same car- 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 12,000 miles per year - if we didn't make their "top tier"? Perhaps for tiers 2 and 3. I'd hate to get blind sighted at the dealer. Thanks again. John
  • rtcprnrtcprn Member Posts: 2
    Car_Man, thanks for sharing your knowledge on this forum.
    Looking at 2012 A4 quattro sedans with either premium plus or prestige package. MSRP around $44000. 36 month lease, 10,000 miles/year. My local dealership quoted me MF of 0.00265 and residual of 59% for the premium plus sedan. The residual on the prestige sedan was 54%. They estimated monthly payments between $650 and $800 for these two cars.
    These quotes seem much higher than others on this forum.
    What is the top tier MF and residual for these cars?
    Hi Car-Man
    Is the 2012 AVANT lease factors for a "premium plus" trim at 36 mo/15K lease 0.00125 and a residual of 56? or a residual of 57%? or other
    thank you so very much :)
    You're absolutely correct, chiquita. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with 15,000 miles per year would be the same, but its residual value would be 3% lower.

The residual values for the Premium Plus trim level should be the same.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, jodony1. Thanks for taking the time to stop back and let us all know how your lease turned out. Enjoy your new ride and Happy Holidays!

Car_man
    Host
    No problem pfdf.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome John. Audi Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 A4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro with 12,000 miles per year are .00133 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I haven't seen AFS' rates for other tiers, but I can look into that for you.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem rtcprn. The money factor that you were quoted is way too high. If your credit is in good shape, AFS' buy rate for a 36-month lease of this car should be around .00133. The residual value for a 10k lease of this car is 58%.

The numbers for the Prestige model would be .00133 and 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Chiquita, .00125 and 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    You are the BEST Car_Man !!!!!!!! I figured it might be 56% by deduction and I'm working a deal out right now, but its nice to know before you sign you did the right thing. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • landy216landy216 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know the MF and residual value for 24 and 36 months with 15K miles. I am undecided on whether to go for 12K or 15K miles since I will fall somewhere in the middle. Is it better to be on the safe side and go with 15K or get 12K and pay the fee for the extra miles? Also if you can provide the MF and RV for 24/12K and 36/12K would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    my deal:
    A4 Avant 2012 premium plus model with navigation, parking sensors, sports package
    selling price- invoice around 41000-42000
    msrp 45175
    money factor 0.00125
    residual with audi care ( audicare negotiated at around 700) 57%
    around 1500 down, $ 530 a month
    Hi Landy216,
    my two cents-- don't go for low end model-- its better to go for the premium plus model with all the extras.......... why? because when you calculate it all out over a LEASE you only pay a small portion of the extras.... so its literally only a few dollars more a month. i learned this years ago-- and now enjoy the extras in the car.
    cheers
  • michaelb_1969michaelb_1969 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I was quoted $491 a month w/ $5000 out-of-pocket for a 2012 Audi A4 Avant Premium Plus that stickers at $45,100 w/ a lease of 12,000 miles per year @ 36 months.

Included in the quote was a $1,350 credit from Audi for their loyalty program (we already own one). So in effect, that should be the equivalent of $6,500 down.

If I use the 0.00125 lease factor, and 57% residual (which I think is correct), it would appear that the price I was quoted was based on the sticker price, and that the $1,350 credit wasn't applied.

Thanks very much for your feedback!
    Mike
  • rtcprnrtcprn Member Posts: 2
    Car_man your help has been greatly appreciated. Thanks to your information, I was able to get my A4 premium plus with 10k miles, MF 0.00133, residual 58%. It is amazing how all the dealers claimed their MF and residual were set by Audi and could not get any lower. They refused to come down until I let them know I had the actual numbers from Audi. You helped me save a few thousand dollars.
  • coltrane1coltrane1 Member Posts: 10
    Any of you have experience with Legend Leasing? www.legendleasing.com

They advertise a 2012 A4 Quattro 2.0 Premium Plus Navigation for $409/mo 36 months, zero down.

Are they reputable??
    thx
  • fastsvofastsvo Member Posts: 31
    Looking to compare an A4 lease with an MBZ C250 lease. Without getting into the details, it already seems the MBZ wins from a cost and value perspective. Can anyone please post their killer deal on an A4?

Am I correct to believe that a higher residual % equates to a lower monthly lease payment?
  • johnnyjuicejohnnyjuice Member Posts: 24
    Hi Car Man,

I'm looking at a 2012 CVT Premium Plus, 10k miles. My credit score should qualify for top tier. What should I expect my money factor and residual to be? Thanks so much!!
This discussion has been closed.