Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello photographer. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 328i Coupe with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi nachinc, BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 328i with 15,000 miles per year are .00220 and 57%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

It is difficult for me to give you an opinion on the selling price that you were quoted without knowing what this car's MSRP is. Let us know and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly tell you what they think.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new "3," megapurple. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Real examples of deals like yours are always helpful for community members who are in the market for similar vehicles.

If you haven't already and you have the time, make sure to hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others as well.

Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • nachincnachinc Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car man

Thanks for the response,

The MSRP is 34425.
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    My sales advisor contacted me 2 days ago. He said BMW will let me terminate my lease 3 months early if I get into a new car by 8/31/09. This sounds appealing. Particularly appealing is the $4500 off the 335d model, even if it is leased. Can anyone provide the current (8/2009) money factor and lease residuals for this model?
  • oto1125oto1125 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing vs. leasing a 2009 335i coupe. Does anyone know the August money factor and residual value % for 36 month and 10,000/yr.? I have been told that BMW announced this week new increased lease cap reduction numbers. Does anyone know these numbers? Last, are there any new factory to dealer rebates that have been announced that should be passed to the consumer?
  • mgoblue4mgoblue4 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the 2010 lease programs are out for the 3 series? If not, when will they be coming out?
  • stevenj815stevenj815 Member Posts: 8
    How can a BMW qualify for a $4500 Clunker Rebate? I leased my car 2 weeks ago and that was never a thought.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    BMW is offering a $4500 "eco-credit" on both their diesel models, the 335d and X5 diesel. This is not cash-for-clunkers (they're both over $45K base and so don't qualify) Look at bmwusa.com, and under financial services, click on lease offers. You'll notice that in the fine print of the lease offers for these two vehicles, it will say "includes $4500 EcoCredit. "
  • jeffaljeffal Member Posts: 28
    anowlan is right.

BMW is offering a $4,500 incentive on the diesel 335d and the diesel X5d.

The difference between invoice and MSRP on an optioned 335d is around $4,000. Add that to the $4,500 incentive and that gives you around $8,500 to work with during negotiations if you're looking to get a diesel 335d.
  • crocodiletearscrocodiletears Member Posts: 18
    edmunds tmv was off about 2k on my deal. don't let them charge you any markup on the MF. they aren't charging you an acquisition fee since you're OVERPAYING so much.

first of all since you are renting this car you should not put any money down other than drive off costs. if you get into an accident and the car is totaled or stolen you lose all of your money down. if you have decent credit you should not be required to put a deposit down as well.

they're only cutting 1400 dollars from MSRP! i've seen people on here getting as much as 10 percent off of msrp and invoice at WORST. i got a little over 10 percent. in this economy you should be getting at least 4k off and up to 6k off. it looks like they're only giving you 2.5 percent off of msrp which is a bad deal in any economy.

seriously, fire some emails off to some northern or southern cali dealers thru this website or autotrader and let them compete for your services. there are something like 14 dealers in southern cali alone. convertibles bimmers are luxury items and they're sitting on lots.

i'd pay somewhere between mid 700s to 800 for something optioned like yours. i was looking at porsche caymans and boxsters in the mid 55 to 58k range and was getting quotes in the low 700s on a 56k boxster with only drive off fees.

MSRP: 60,150.00
    Amount due at lease signing (itemized below): 4,270.90
    Total of Payments: 35,543.65
    Customer State: Washington
    Customer County: KING
    Itemization of Payment
    Agreed Value: 58,736.68
    a) Gross Capital Cost 58,736.68
    b) Capital Cost Reduction -1,000.00
    c) Adjusted Capital Cost 57,736.68
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    anyone know the August rates? I just got an email from my sales rep saying they have a 3 month pull ahead and $2000 lease cash towards 328 sedans. I asked for the MF and residual but he has not replied. I like to run my own #s.

Anyone have details yet?
  • woolooloowoolooloo Member Posts: 44
    It can qualify for the clunker rebate if it has a base price under $45k and meets the fuel economy restrictions (like the 335d does) and of course if you trade in a clunker.

However, the $4500 mentioned is not the clunker rebate, it is a BMW incentive (I think they call it an ECO Credit).
    And I was wrong. The 335d's base MSRP is just shy of $45K, so it may qualify for Cash-For-Clunkers.
    Again, I believe that the base MSRP of the 335d is under $45K, so it MAY qualify for cash-for-clunkers in addition to the EcoCredit. Please correct me if I'm wrong
  • aiyeraiyer Member Posts: 3
    I am considering Leasing for the first time. I have been negotiating with local BMW dealer over last week and here are the details. Please let me know if this is any good.

2009 BMW 328i xdrive with Automatic/Cold weather package/iPod - MSRP 40195

Invoice 37195
    xDrive credit 1850
    Lease cash 1000

Net cap 34345
    Residual 60%
    Money Factor .00225

7% sales tax

398 per month for 36 months 10K per year

Down payment:
    Acq fee : 720
    Doc fee : 168 (DMV. License plate)
    First month: 398
    1300 plus 1395 sales tax= 2750 cash down.
    is this payment including monthly sales tax?

looks pretty good except for the money factor. i don't know what the mf is fo august. my july one was .00175
    If i include sales tax, 38 plus 398 = $436 per month and 1300 down.
  • fastbavarianfastbavarian Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys, I already signed a deal. But I would like to be comfortable.
    I paid net out of my pocket $4,524 includes everything. tax, 1st month, last month, registration, licence, everything!
    Then, $378/mo. for 36months.

2009 328i coupe, sport package+heated seats+Ipod

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL?

thanks everyone!
  • kaleasekalease Member Posts: 1
    1. How come you didn't have the bank fees ?
    2. Is the money factor 57 or 60 because you had only 10 K miles ?
    3. Which dealer is this ?
    what is msrp? cap cost? money factor? mileage? 4524 sounds like a lot for out of pocket costs. but overall it looks good.
  • fastbavarianfastbavarian Member Posts: 8
    MSRP is 42,095.
    Cap cost ( i think the down payment ? $2200)
    I will have 10K mile per year.
  • gambrinousgambrinous Member Posts: 1
    Car Man, Everyone,

I was looking into purchasing a 335i and was quoted a money factor of 0.00180 for being a new BMW customer w/o a security deposit. I was also told that with the maximum security deposit, my money factor would be 0.00165 (a rate which Car man recently quoted in July). Can you guys confirm that this is still accurate and valid for current August pricing?

Also, does anyone know what the latest BMW Fin money factor and 15k residual value % are for a 2009 M3? Are there any current cap cost reduction offers as well?

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • tech_dudetech_dude Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys, my first posting here...

I'm trying to negotiate for an 09' 328i gray sedan/automatic/power/heated/seats/17" wheels, MSRP $38,295.
    I want my out-of-pocket (including all taxes/fees/1st month) to be $3000 and my monthly payment to be $350/month for 36 months. Can someone please tell me if these are realistic/achievable numbers? Are they too low, too high - any advice would be great, thanks!
    P.S: (I would be looking at one of the NY tri-state area dealerships, also I would be a repeat customer to FS as I'm returning my '07 335i sedan).
    Yes, they are doable. I currently have an offer for $399 per month for 36 months with $1400 down. This is for 328i xdrive, MSRP 40,175.
  • rider118rider118 Member Posts: 2
    Hi this is my first post,

I'm doing research on a 36 month 15k mile lease for a 2009 335 Xi. I received the following offer with these details:
    Options-
    Model 0943 335xi USD 42,000.00
    Color 896 Blue Water Metallic 550.00
    ZCW Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
    ZPP Premium Package 2,650.00
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic trans. 1,325.00
    322 Comfort Access system 500.00
    6FL iPod and USB adapter 400.00

$45,945.00 Invoice
    Net Total with options 48,425.00
    Plus Destination Charge +_825.00_
    Total Suggested Price $49,250.00

I was given a price of $715/month which includes monthly tax with a total drive off of $1,500 which includes all fees and first month's payment. I live in Southern Cal and it has to be shipped here. Can I do better on the deal? Thanks.
  • agassi121agassi121 Member Posts: 1
    Quick question, why do these numbers generally seem higher than the lease offer listed on the main bmw website
    328xi w/ automatic/premium package
    41,100 msrp
    $369 a month
    60% resid value
    3350 down payment
    They only mention $1000 lease cash back without any other dealer reductions So i guess cap cost before down payment is 40,100, I'm sure that's well above invoice.

I know the down payment they list is fairly high, but when i back into the money factor they must be using I get a number around .0005.

Also does anybody have any recent experience with leasing the 335d, when including the $4500 eco credit. seems like it would bring cap cost down to around 328i levels.
  • doheny1doheny1 Member Posts: 5
    I got the following quote on a 328i. Please let me know if it is a good deal.

24 month lease, 10,000 miles per year.

MSRP: 39,000
    Options:Automatic, navigation, ipod, bluetooth
    Sale Price: 35,500
    Monthly Payments: 538 (including tax)
    Due at signing: 1350 (including first month payment).
    These numbers include the 2,000 rebate and transmission credit.

Please let me know. Can it go lower?
  • toml2009toml2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

What is the money factor and residual in august for a 09 335xi coupe? I was quoted the following:

MSRP: 55,750
    Sales: 51,200
    Money Factor: 00160
    Residual: 60.5%
    Monthly payment: 700
    Term: 36 months and 10K/yr
    Down payment: 0 (except taxes, first month payment and fees)

Is this a good deal?
  • ags121ags121 Member Posts: 3
    hi guys, can you help me with this, I actually have two questions. I am looking at a 3 yr 10k/year lease on 328i xdrive that has been used a demo model(has about 400 odd miles). The first question involves the lease sheet. The msrp is 42,450, and below that on the sheet I see a selling price of 37,770. However the figure for total capitalized cost is 39,388.8. Doing out the math, I can tell the 39k number is the one being used in the lease math. Shouldn't these numbers be the same?

Second question is does this still seem like a deal? After the 39,388 theres a 1k cap reduction(I would guess bmw lease cash?) so I end up putting $4,400 down(additional 2k cap reduction on my part) at signing and paying 440 a month(all Ny state taxes included in the upfront payment ) Despite the mismatch between selling price/msrp i believe it's not a bad deal, but shouldn't the two numbers be the same? Thanks guys.
  • mikeovichmikeovich Member Posts: 4
    I've been negotiating with a dealer on a 335i 6mt coupe and think I have a good deal (thanks to reading this site), but would love to get some feedback:

MSRP: $50,925
    Negotiated Cap: $47,415
    MF: 0.00175 (I'm aware that this is a tenth markup)
    Residual: 60% (only 10k/year)
    36 mo lease
    $0 down
    $2,500 lease cash credit
    Drive-off: $2,043 (first payment, MACO, Training/Svc, tax)
    Monthly Payment: $613

Couple questions:
    1) is this a good deal as is, or should I push further?
    2) should I negotiate the MF down to the base 0.00165 (I don't mind the dealer making money since he worked hard, but would rather not have their markup be a function of interest)
    3) should I put a few security deposits down to lower the MF further (I can tie up the cash for 3 years)?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Sorry, MACO and training are actually part of the negotiated cap cost.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • kball2kball2 Member Posts: 62
    Mike,

I am looking at a similar car and have a few questions:

1) What is the $2,500 lease cash credit? I am aware of $1,000 lease cash credit, but not $2,500.

2) What was the purchase price you negotiated prior to rolling the other fees into the lease?

3) What is MACO?

4) I am assuming $613 is before taxes?

Thanks
  • annaz1annaz1 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

I was hoping you (or someone else on this board) could give me your opinion on the terms of this deal:

Lease: 2009 328i Jet Black/Leatherette with Auto and IPOD

36 mo, 10K miles
    MSRP = 36150
    Sale Price = 34800
    Residual = 60%
    MF = 0.00236

Monthly payments = 347.19
    Cash up-front = $3000 (including all fees)

The $1260 auto credit and $2000 lease cash have been applied to bring down the cap cost.

I believe the dealer is looking at a profit of about $1440, but the MF seems to have been adjusted higher (am I right?) for additional profit.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Anna
    No problem nachinc. Thanks for the additional information. OK, so you were quoted a selling price of $32,157 on a 2009 328i that has an MSRP of $34,425.

This car probably has a spread of around $2,750 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $1,000 cash incentive that BMW is currently providing on leases of it and you have a total of around $3,750 to play with during your negotiations.

You were quoted a dealer discount of $2,268 on this particular car. That probably is equivalent to around $1,450 or so over dealer invoice. I personally would want a slightly larger dealer discount of I was in the market for this car in an area that has a decent level of competition.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi anowlan. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335d Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 53%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, oto1125. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00165 and 60%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mgoblue4. The last time that I checked, BMW had not yet introduced a lease program for the 2010 3-Series. The only '10 models that it has a program on right now are the 5- and 6-Series.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi smithsonga. BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335i Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 56%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Aaron. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor for a 2009 335i Sedan is .00225 for returning customers or new ones who pay a security deposit in August.

BMW is not currently providing any lease support on the 2009 M3. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease program. I believe that its standard lease money factors vary by region, but its buy rate for this model should be around .00285 right now give or take a few points. BMW FS' current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for an '09 M3 Sedan is 49%.

Car_man
    Host
    1) I believe this may be what the dealer is telling me for why he came back with a lower price, but $2,500 is taken off my initial payment (drive-off).

2) The negotiated purchase price was $200 over invoice, or $46,835 on an MSRP of $50,925 (includes destination on both)

3) MACO is a marketing fee they charge you that you can't get them to waive ($400), and same with training ($180). Or at least that's what I've read.

4) The $613 includes tax. Cap reduction was $2387, with $4,542 due at signing, minus $2,500 lease cash gets me to $2,042 due at signing.

@Car_man, any thoughts on this deal yet? Really just concerned about the markup on the MF.

@kball2, as long as you aren't looking at the same car in CA, I can send you the details of my deal to show your dealer. PM if necessary.

Thanks
    Aiyer,

This looks like an awesome deal, but I can not make the math work. Assuming you are paying $2,750 out of pocket and using the numbers you have provided I arrive at a monthly payment of $415 per month before taxes. What am I missing?

Thanks
    I am in Ohio so you don't need to worry about me! I have just started looking so I have not worked these numbers down, but here is where I am at on a 335i Sedan (6 speed):

MSRP - $46,125
    MF - .00225
    Term 36 months / 10k
    Residual 60%
    Purchase Price $42,645
    Acq Fee $795 (Should be $720 to $725?)
    Sales Tax $1,481.57 (6.75%)
    Net Cap Cost $44,921.57
    Payment $654.19 (includes tax)

Due at signing $1,689.69 (1st month, security, & additional fees [$335] that I am sure are overstated.

The deal you have looks good to me. If you can provide all the numbers (similar to mine) I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to calculate what the lease cost should be and make sure that there are no hidden fees, etc.

Good luck!
    I am considering leasing a 3 series sedan this month, but I am wondering if the lease deals will get better or worse in September considering that 2010 inventory will be coming soon. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I have some numbers on this exact car - $350 month including taxes would be an awesome deal and I am not sure it is possible. Here are preliminary numbers:

Money Factor 0.0022
    Term 36/10k
    Sticker Price $38,295.00
    Residual % 60%
    Residual Value $22,977.00

Purchase Price $35,365.00
    Acq Fee $795.00
    Net Cap. Cost $36,160
    Payment (tax not included) - $496
    Due at signing - @$1,400

The dealer has room to move - I show invoice to be $35,310 - and there is $1,000 (lease cash) and $1,260 (automatic) incentives available which could get you down to a purchase price of @$34,256 - this would be an aggressive price. The acquisition fee should be about $720 versus the $795 I am being quoted. So at a purchase price of $34,256 and a $720 acq fee the net cap cost becomes $33,770. These numbers generate a payment (tax not included) of @$425 per month. With $3,000 for tax, security deposit, 1st months payment, other fees - I would estimate you can get to @$370 per month before taxes.

Hope this helps.
    Welcome rider118. I see that the dealer that you are working with offered to sell you the 2009 335xi that you are interested in for dealer invoice. Given the fact that BMW is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive and an additional $1,840 option credit on leases of this car, getting it at invoice is really equivalent to $2,840 over. I would not be surprised if you were able to beat this offer by haggling some more or comparison shopping with a couple of other dealers.

Also, make sure that the dealer that you ultimately decide to get your car from does not mark up BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00225 when they calculate your car's payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi agassi121. Real world lease payments usually end up being higher than manufacturers' advertised payments for several reasons.

One, the payments that you see mentioned here usually include sales tax, while the advertised payments do not.

Two, the cars that you see mentioned in this discussion are often better equipped than the advertised models.

And three, many of the people who visit this site realize that it's a bad idea to put money down on a lease, so they go with zero down leases that while they have less money due at signing than the advertised payments have a higher monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello doheny1. The 2009 BMW 328i that you described probably has a spread of around $3,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $1,000 cash incentive and $1,260 option credit that BMW is currently providing on leases of this model and you have a total of around $5,250 to play with during your negotiations. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $1,750 over dealer invoice, which isn't terrible but probably can be beaten if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition.

One more thing, make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00220 for this car to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello toml2009. BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335xi Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00145 and 60%, respectively for returning BMW FS customers or new ones who pay a security deposit at lease signing. Non-returning customers can have their car's security deposit waived in exchange for a .00015 increase in its money factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ags121. Theoretically your car's selling price and its capitalized cost should be the same. If they are not, it means that the dealer is adding something or multiple things to your car's price before calculating its payment. These things could include sales tax, the acquisition fee, etc...

I see that you are considering making a $2,000 capitalized cost reduction on this car. I personally always advise consumers not to make down payments when leasing. Lessees who make them risk losing part or all of that money if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, it is much safer to go with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.