Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• loxo33loxo33 Member Posts: 2
    Fully loaded but 7700 miles on it. The car they do the test drives on. Is this a good deal?

2009 BMW328xi
    Prem package, Sport Package, steptronic, xenon headlights, HD Radio, Logic7 sound... basically every option possible.

24 months / 15k miles per year
    MSRP: 49,395
    Sale price: 41,170.94
    MF: 0.00225
    LEV: 57.63% (lower value, he says because it has mileage on it. this seems fishy?)
    Deposit: 700
    MV fee: 309.80
    Doc Fee: 269
    Acq fee: 725
    sales tax: 1223.62 (7% where I live)

Upfront: $2,702.79
    Monthly: $698.99

The dealer is calling my cell phone non stop since I walked out so I may get a chance to negotiate more. How does the deal look so far?
  • alexryan1alexryan1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man,

What do you think of the deal. 2009 328xi with a msrp of $40695 with a cap cost of $36290 after my $2500 deposit. I'm looking at $401 month for 36 months and 10K miles a year. Does this sound like a good deal. It includes NJ tax as well.

Thanks in advance.
  • mikekxmikekx Member Posts: 9
    Carman,

I've been offered the following for lease deals for 128i coupe. What do ou think? Should i be looking at the 3 series alternatively based on current lease deals and support? Thanks!

Term: 24 months
    Lease $299/tax/month
    Miles: 20,000.
    Price: $29,575
    MSRP: $32,850
    Money Factor 2.0
    Residual .68
    Options: Steptronic automatic transmission, moonroof, chrome-line exterior trim, rain sensor and auto headlight, cruise control, BMW assist with Bluetooth, multi-function steering wheel, hi-fi sound system and more.

Term: 36 months
    Miles: 30,000
    Lease: $359/month +tax
    Price: $38,950
    MSRP: $42,900
    Money Factor 2.2
    Residual .62
    Options: premium package, sport package, steptronic automatic transmission, rain sensor and auto headlight, adaptive light control, cruise control, hi-fi sound system, multi-function steering wheel, xenon headlights, sport steering wheel with paddles

Miles: 30,000
    Lease:$370/mo +tax
    Price: $40,575
    MSRP: $41,650
    Money Factor 1.5
    Residual .61
    Options: Steptronic automatic transmission, dynamic cruise control, hi-fi sound system, sport steering wheel with paddles, multi-function steering wheel, moonroof, heated front seats, ambiance lighting, iPod and USB adapter
  • pcmikepcmike Member Posts: 5
    How are you getting such LOW LOW monthly payments? How much is due at signing? Doing multiple security deposits? What dealer/salesman are you dealing with as I'd like to ask him for a 335i lease. :)
  • argentoargento Member Posts: 5
    I just completed a deal to lease an '09 335 convertible. MSRP 55450, purchase price $500 over invoice. $2500 lease cash incentive from BMW. Money factor 0.0018. I am a new BMWFC customer so I have to pay $650 security deposit. When I pick up the car (next week) I need to decide how much to put as cap reduction (if any). Question one: should I consider paying multiple security deposits (up to 7) to lower the money factor?
    Question 2: is this a good deal?
    Ah...I am in Southern California.
  • pcmikepcmike Member Posts: 5
    argento,

The answer to question #1 is easy to figure out. Figure out your payments on the cap cost of the car after you subtract the total amount of MSDS ($4550 possible) and figure out the payments without the MSDS. Whatever that difference is multiply it by the lease term and see what savings you have. Then compare that savings percentage to what you could get if you took the same money an invested it in some other fashion (stocks, bonds, etc). Chances are you're going to get 10% or better return on the MSDS' when they lower your payment over the term of the lease..... good luck getting that anywhere else in today's economy. It's absolutely a good deal if you have the cash to spare. Plus you get it all back.... it's the gift that keeps on giving. After you use it to reduce your payments and make 10% you can take the same $4550+10% and put it into your next lease of a 750Li. :)

Read the folllowing thread on MSDS: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134206
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Thanks for the additional information, alexryan1. The money factor that you were quoted looks good, it's right in line with BMW FS' buy rate. So let's move on to this car's selling price.

You were quoted a selling price of $36,290 on a 2009 328xi that has an MSRP of $40,695. That's a $4,400 discount.

This car probably has a spread of around $3,250 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $1,000 cash incentive that is available on this car (it's two grand on the West Coast) and you have a total of $4,250 to play with in most of the country and $5,250 in the West. That means that this is a killer deal if you live in most of the U.S. and still a pretty good deal if you're on the left coast.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hello pcmike. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 56%, respectively.

BMW is currently providing between $1,000 and $2,500 in cash incentives on leases off this car through BMW FS. The exact amount varies by region. I would be happy to give you an idea of what the exact cash allowance is in your neck of the woods if you tell me what state you are in.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dxl. Unfortunately, the cash incentive that you have seen mentioned in this discussion is only available on leases through BMW Financial Services. People who pay cash for their cars cannot take advantage of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey alexryan1. Please see my response to your earlier message in post #3113. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mikekx. This particular discussion is about leasing a BMW 3-Series. I would be happy to respond to any questions that you have about leasing a 128i Coupe over in the "BMW 1-Series Lease Questions" discussion. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • alexryan1alexryan1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Car_man much appreciated.
  • westportquaywestportquay Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_Man,

I'm in Los Angeles and just got a lease disclosure sheet for a 2009 328xi for 3 years and 36,000 miles and wanted to run some of this by you. I don't have much of a clue when it comes to these things. I've read some other comments here and would appreciate your insight. It seems to me to be on the high side. Now that I've read up on things, putting down $5000.00 doesn't sound like the right way to go. And given that others here are getting $401.00 a month with $2500.00 down...it seems to me that I might be getting hosed....Here's what I'm looking at:

Lease Disclosure

Price: 39,000
    Cap Reduction: 3,410.33
    Net trade: .00
    Additional Charges: 1,175

Cap Cost: 34,414.67
    Residual 60% 25,080.00
    Factor .0023500

Additional Charges (Capitalized)
    Acquisition Fee 825.00
    Rebate -2,0000.00
    Base Payment 399.11
    Sales Tax 38.91
    Property .00
    Cap Reduction 3,410.33
    Security Deposit .00
    Cap Reduct Tax 527.51
    Other Taxes 4.39
    Additional Charges 619.75
    Cash Required 5000.00
    Cash Received 5000.00
    36 Payments of 438.02

Additional Charges (Inception)
    Document Fee 45.00
    License Fee 450.00
    Tire Tax 8.75
    Elec. Filing Fee 29.00
    Registration Fee 77.00 +

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Westportquay
  • loxo33loxo33 Member Posts: 2
    I'm seeing dealers quote $1,000.00 Lease Cash incentive on 328xi sedans, does the same incentive apply to coupes?
  • bmwinebmwine Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to Lease 09 335I sedan, coupe, convertible or 2009 M3 Coupe and would appreciate any input. I bought my first BMW in 04 through BMW FS when I was still wet behind the ears and do not want to make any of the same mistakes. My credit/FICO score is above 750, zero debit, and income above 70K.

1. Are 2009 335i sedans,coupes,convertibles or a M3 Coupe selling below invoice or at invoice?
    2. What is BMW's current rate/money factor and residual values?
    3. Is the lease cash offer from BMW $1,000.00 or $2,500.00?

Lease: 36 Months 10K Miles a year
  • lngolngo Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man,

Is the 2009 328i Sedan lease for $329 still valid? I see a banner on socalbmw.com but when i clicked on it is listed for $349 instead, also it seems like the $2000/$2500 lease cash incentive for 328i/335i is down to $1000 now according to the website, is the free automatic transmission upgrade offer gone as well for So Cal customers? What is the current money factor and residual for 2009 328i sedan? Should I wait until Nov to see if they will bring the original deal back?

Thanks a million!
  • narcolonarcolo Member Posts: 4
    Car_Man,

want to pick up and lease a remaining 09 bmw. looked all around (leasecompare, bimmerfest) can you please provide rates for 2009 models?

I am looking for
    2009 335i convertible
    2009 z4 35i

and any incentives if you have access to that!

Thanks in advance for all the helpful insight! :)
    Hi CarMan,

36 payments a month at 438.02 after an initial down payment of $5000.00 seems excessive to me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
  • g37hopefullyg37hopefully Member Posts: 5
    I put a deposit down on a 2009 335 X Drive Coupe over the weekend. I want to make sure that the deal I got is on par with what others have obtained. Unfortunately I do not know the Residual, MF & final sales price. I know that sounds ridiculous but please read on. I'm hoping that if someone knows a lot about lease formulas and what the true BMW residual & MF were they would be able to evaluate the deal I got. Here are the specifics and thank you in advance for your help!

335 X Drive Coupe
    Term: 36 Months
    Mileage: 15K / Year
    MSRP: $52,895
    Invoice: $48,700
    BMW rebate: $2,500 (I know for sure this was applied)
    Cap Cost: None (Put down 1st month, security and bank fee only..Total $2,200)
    Monthly Payment: $625 (Including Nassau County tax of 8.75%)

I'm going to call the Sales guy and find out the residual, MF and sales price that was used but again I would appreciate some insight on the numbers above. Thank you!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    We could probably help you back into this if the options you're getting were listed, including the color (most colors cost extra).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • g37hopefullyg37hopefully Member Posts: 5
    I apologize I thought that just the MSRP and Invoice amounts would suffice. The options are: Premium, Navigation, Cold Weather, Ipod, Sat Radio and the color is Jet Black. Thank you again for your help!
  • ivndivnd Member Posts: 5
    Hi Carman!

My BMW 06 330i lease is coming to an end this Oct. 26. I want to know if I will be able to negotiate a lower price than the residual value of $28,300 that BMW FS wants.

I currently pay $500.15 monthly and it was a 36 month lease.

I have gone over miles.
    I have contacted my original dealer and they said the BMW FS told them that they will not budge on the residual value. Not sure if I should believe this or not.

I have talk to other folks and they have said to wait a couple of days before the lease ends and BMW will be reaching out to you to see if your going to purchase the car or not.

What I want to know is how I can negotiate with them so they can bring the price down? I have noticed my same car for sale with other dealers going from $18k to $24k in price.

Should I contact another dealer and see if they can get me a better price???

BTW- when I first started the contract, I put down $3,000.

Need some help on this soon. Thanks.

Ivnd
  • mgoblue4mgoblue4 Member Posts: 6
    I just got offered a 3 yr, 15K mile lease on a 2010 328xi sedan with sport, premium, value, satellite, ipod, navigation for $640/month including tax. Negotiated price is $200 over invoice. Is this a good deal? Thanks.
  • jslighjsligh Member Posts: 15
    Car_Man (or anyone else)

Looked through the posts and haven't seen recent lease MF and Resid information for a 2009 328i Coupe 36 mo/10K. Can you please provide this information? Also will the MF be different for a returning BMWFS customer?

I see there is $2K lease cash on the 328i coupe now. Would there be additional loyalty cash? Turning in an '06 330i sedan by next weekend.

Thanks,
    J
  • jslighjsligh Member Posts: 15
    Possibly...I actually spoke to my existing BMW dealer and another regarding a 2009 328i coupe. In case anyone needs to know, I was given MF .0015 and Resid 61% on a 2009 328i coupe 36 mo/10k lease. Still $2,000 lease cash, but not sure of any other lease incentives besides possible loyalty cash. Hope this helps others.
  • sewarkersewarker Member Posts: 4
    Carman or anyone else. What do you think of this deal for a 2009 328i Sedan lease in Philadelphia.

MSRP: 41,150
    Cap Cost: 38,000
    MF: .00250
    Resid: .59
    Miles: 15,000
    Monthly Payment: 525.14
    You're very welcome, alexryan1.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to take a look at this deal, Westportquay. You're right, $5,000 is too much money to pay at signing on a lease. Even though your monthly payment will likely be higher, you will be much safer going with a lease that has a lot less due at signing.

I see that this car's MSRP is $39,000 but I'm not sure what its selling price is. This is an important number to know because the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. I see this car's capitalized cost mentioned...but I assume that it is after the deduction of the down payment that you are being asked to make.

The best way to negotiate a good deal on this car would be to look up its dealer invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. Then subtract the $2,000 cash incentive from that and add a few hundred dollars back for the dealer.

Once you have arrived at a selling price that you are happy with, have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using BMW FS' buy rate lease money factor of .00225.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi loxo33. Yes, BMW is currently providing a cash incentive of $1,000 to $2,000 on leases of the 2009 328xi Coupe through BMW Financial Services. The exact amount of this cash incentive varies by region.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bmwine. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 335i Coupe are .00165 and 57%. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 335i Convertible are .00180 and 56%.

The numbers for 36 month, 15k leases of the '09 M3 Sedan, Coupe, and Convertible would all have a money factor of .00280, but their residual values would be 49%, 50%, and 47%, respectively.

The residual values for leases with 10,000 miles per year would be 3% higher.

These cars' cash incentives vary from $1,000 to $2,500 by region, though there is no cash on the M3. If you tell me what state you are in I should be able to give you an idea of what the specific allowances are in your neck of the woods.

As far as how much you should pay for these cars goes, try stopping by the "BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion for feedback on that topic.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_Man,

Ok...here's where I am on this thing. I'm being told that the money factor is .00255 which still seems a little high. Maybe it's because I'm not a returning BMW customer. I'm now putting down $2500.00. 59% residual. I'm being told that payments will be $459.00. They are throwing in the floor mats.

MSRP at $38,850.00

Edmunds lists the invoice price as being $36,000.00. It lists TMV as $33,096.00.

MSRP $38,850.00

$36,380.000 wholesale - 1250 dealer rebate = $35,120.00.

Total Cap Cost Reduction = $2230.26

Net cap cost is $32,856.15

What do you think?

Thanks again.
    Hi lngo. To the best of my knowledge all of the cash incentives that you mentioned are still available in October. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2009 328i is .00220.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, narcolo. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 335i Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 56%, respectively.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30 month lease of a 2009 Z4 35i with 15,000 miles per year are .00090 and 63%.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

BMW is currently providing a $2,500 cash incentive on leases of the 2009 335i Convertible and $3,000 on leases of the 2009 Z4.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ivnd. Unfortunately the fact that you put several thousand dollars down when you signed your lease on this car will not have any impact upon its end of term purchase price. This car's purchase option is based upon a straight percentage of its full MSRP and it will be exactly the same regardless of whether you had put nothing down or $10,000 down.

It's difficult to say whether BMW Financial Services will be willing to negotiate your car's purchase option price. More often than not banks won't, but it wouldn't hurt to place a call directly to them to see if they would be willing to work with you. If your initial contact at the bank isn't willing to do so, you can always work your way up the ladder to a manager to see if you get any better results.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello mgoblue4. $200 over dealer invoice is an excellent selling price for a leased 2010 328xi Sedan. Just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor of .00225 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, jsligh. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 328i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00150 and 61%, respectively.

This money factor is the same for returning BMW FS customers, but the security deposit will be waived at no additional charge for returning lessees.

The $2,000 cash incentive is all that is available on leases of this car for both returning or non-returning customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sewarker. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is too high. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate for a 36 month lease of an '09 328i is only .00220. It appears as though the dealer that you are working with is marking your car's factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal. If I was in the market for this car, I would insist that the dealer use the buy rate to calculate my monthly payment.

The car that you described probably has a spread of around $3,250 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to this the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it and you have a total of around $4,250 to play with in your negotiations. That puts the capitalized cost that you mentioned at around $1,100 over dealer invoice. That's not a bad deal, but if there is a decent level of competition in your area you may be able to beat it by a couple hundred dollars by shopping around.

Car_man
    Host
    BMW Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor for the 2009 328xi Sedan is .00225. This factor would increase to .00240 for non-returning customers who wish to have their vehicle's security deposit waived. Anything over that and the dealer is attempting to mark your car's factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Given the figures I mentioned, what would the payments be at .00240? Is it a big difference vs. the .00255 that they've quoted me?

Thanks.
  • lebrownlebrown Member Posts: 8
    The MSRP is $41,195. The dealer is willing to sell the car for $37,500. When, I tried to work a lease deal with no money down, 36mo, 10k, 60% residual...they quoted $546 plus tax.

I am a returning BMWFS customer, so i would think my rate would be better than this...any thoughts?
  • gundogundo Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have the MF and Residual on a 36 month, 12K miles/yr lease of a 2009 335i?
  • zja1zja1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I was offered the following lease deal on a 2009 BMW 328i executive demo with 8,500 miles on it.

List Price: $37,645
    Offered Price: $32,700
    36 month/12k year
    $425/month
    Residual: 59%
    Money Factor: .002200

$3,150 due at signing (Tax $1,400; Title and Reg $360; Processing (Junk) fee $239; $725 Bank Fee and First month payment of $425)

The offer of $32,700 seems high (all incentives included). Can someone tell me if this is a good deal?

Thank you.
  • tmartina26tmartina26 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

what in the current money factor, residual value and factory rebates for 2009 328i for a lease 15K miles for 36 miles.

Thank you kindly,
    Martina
  • paowowpaowow Member Posts: 7
    Just Leased 2009 328i Sedan with
    jet black color, auto trans, prem. pkg, sports pkg, navi, ipod.

MSRP : 43,750
    36month.
    10,000 mi/year
    drive off: $2500
    monthy payment: $496 (CA tax included)

did I get a decent deal?
  • htownpimp786htownpimp786 Member Posts: 80
    Hi!

This is the deal I am getting on a 2009 328i Coupe on a lease!

Automatic Transmission
    Metallic Paint
    Ipod/USB
    Destination

MSRP 39,600
    Invoice 36,530
    Offered: 35,706.50 (500 over invoice minus 2000 lease rebate...see below)
    36 Month/10K Money Factor: .00150
    Residual: 61%

Offered to me for $37,706.50 - $2000 Lease incentive on 328i Coupe = $35,706.50. Told this number is $500 over invoice including $400 for MACO, $164 for preparations and detailing and $112.50 for floor mats!

Is that a good deal okay deal or great deal???

Also, can someone please tell me the Money Factor and Residual at 36 months/10K miles for a 335i Coupe and 335i sedan?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • bimmerheadbimmerhead Member Posts: 3
    My Lease on my MCoupe is up next month, and I'm thinking about a 328 sports wagon. I know it's an odd switch, but I have a new born! I noticed the 09 has great incentives to customers and marketing support to dealers. How much off Should i expect with all that, what is the money factor and residual value, and what's the minimum credit score that BMWFS will accept. Please help ASAP, it's almost month end.
    Thanks in advance
  • bberkebberke Member Posts: 26
    I know there is always a morbid curiosity after the fact, but why are there so many posts wondering if you got a good deal when you should be asking before the deal is consummated. Once the deal is done, who cares and why would you want to know. It may only be salt in the wound so to speak.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    . . .why are there so many posts wondering if you got a good deal when you should be asking before the deal is consummated.

Amen. I wonder the same thing every time I see such posts, and they are legion.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • wasabi911wasabi911 Member Posts: 53
    Hello,

Could someone advise me the pro's and con's of leasing a CPO car? It's on the BMW's website but I when spoke to several BMW dealers they all advised me against it without giving me any concrete reasons. I assume it be a better option considering the car has already taken a large depreciation hit in the first couple of years. How is the residual value calculated? Thanks!
  • bimmerheadbimmerhead Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the car has depreciated, but you are not buying it, your are leasing it. The new BMW's have great rates, incentives and high residual values, so even though a new car costs more you would actually find that the lease payment is less than a cpo. Who cares what the price is when you're leasing, the payment is the most important. Once again, you are not planning on owning it for life.
This discussion has been closed.